USA > Maine > Androscoggin County > History of Androscoggin County, Maine > Part 59
Note: The text from this book was generated using artificial intelligence so there may be some errors. The full pages can be found on Archive.org (link on the Part 1 page).
Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5 | Part 6 | Part 7 | Part 8 | Part 9 | Part 10 | Part 11 | Part 12 | Part 13 | Part 14 | Part 15 | Part 16 | Part 17 | Part 18 | Part 19 | Part 20 | Part 21 | Part 22 | Part 23 | Part 24 | Part 25 | Part 26 | Part 27 | Part 28 | Part 29 | Part 30 | Part 31 | Part 32 | Part 33 | Part 34 | Part 35 | Part 36 | Part 37 | Part 38 | Part 39 | Part 40 | Part 41 | Part 42 | Part 43 | Part 44 | Part 45 | Part 46 | Part 47 | Part 48 | Part 49 | Part 50 | Part 51 | Part 52 | Part 53 | Part 54 | Part 55 | Part 56 | Part 57 | Part 58 | Part 59 | Part 60 | Part 61 | Part 62 | Part 63 | Part 64 | Part 65 | Part 66 | Part 67 | Part 68 | Part 69 | Part 70 | Part 71 | Part 72 | Part 73 | Part 74 | Part 75 | Part 76 | Part 77 | Part 78 | Part 79 | Part 80 | Part 81 | Part 82 | Part 83 | Part 84 | Part 85 | Part 86 | Part 87 | Part 88 | Part 89 | Part 90 | Part 91 | Part 92 | Part 93 | Part 94 | Part 95 | Part 96 | Part 97 | Part 98 | Part 99 | Part 100 | Part 101 | Part 102 | Part 103 | Part 104 | Part 105 | Part 106 | Part 107 | Part 108
486
HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.
found here. Iron ore is found in this mountain. The soil of Wales is good, well adapted to the growing of corn, potatoes, grains, and grass.
Settlements and Settlers. - There is some uncertainty as to the first settle- ment. Some authorities place it in 1773, while others say a few years later. From the best information obtainable, the writer is of the opinion that James Ross was the first settler, coming from Brunswick about 1778. He settled on the western slope of Sabattis mountain, where he resided until his death. This farm was occupied by his son-in-law, Isaac Witherell, until his death, August 15, 1890, at the age of 80 years, and is now owned and occupied by Isaac M. Witherell, only son of Isaac. Patrick Kernan came next, in 1779, and settled in the eastern part. It is not known from where he came, but his name suggests Irish extraction. Reuben Ham, Jonathan and Alexander Thompson came from Brunswick about 1780, and took up places in the north part; the former the farm where Isaac Ham died, February 24, 1891; it is now occupied by his daughter, Mrs Beckler. Benjamin and Samuel Weymouth, James, Stephen, and Thomas Gray, and William Remick came between 1780 and 1785. Richard Thompson moved from Brunswick in 1786, and settled in the north part of the town, on the farm now occupied by Widow Robert Sawyer. Stephen and John Andrews came from Brunswick in March, 1788, and located near Richard Thompson's. Richard and James Labree came in 1789 and settled on the farm south of John Andrews, subsequently owned by Daniel M. Labree, son of James, who died in November, 1863. It is now owned by Daniel P. Boynton, but it is unoccupied. One of D. M. Labree's daughters married Laurel G. Thompson and resides on a lot taken from the south side of the farm. John Andrews came prior to 1789. His farm is now owned by his grandson, John C. Andrews. John Ham and his sons, John, Samuel, Clement, and Reuben, came from York county about 1790, and took farms in the west part, on what was later called the Pond road. John settled on the farm after- wards owned by Joshua Hanscom, Benjamin Vining, J. W. Foss, A. F. Strout, Isaac Gatchell, and now occupied by Joseph Wight, but soon removed to the farm now owned by Orestus A. Bronson, near Leeds Junction. Clement settled on the farm now owned by Hugh Mottram, and soon removed to Greene. Reuben settled in the northwesterly corner, and was killed by a falling tree in 1803.
Joseph Small and Bartholomew Jackson came from Limington in 1791. Mr Small settled on a farm near the center of the town, which was subse- quently owned by his son, Isaac S. Small, now by T. W. Ham, a son-in-law of Isaac S. Small. Mr Small had eight sons and five daughters, one son and two daughters now living. He was prominent in plantation and town affairs, and served as plantation clerk 13 years, town clerk 19 years consecutively, and selectman and treasurer several years. Isaac S., his oldest son, who lived and died on the homestead, held various town offices, also the positions of surveyor-
487
TOWN OF WALES.
general of the state, inspector of the state prison, and was a member of the executive council. He was extensively engaged in land surveying in the northern section of the state for many years, and was a director of the Mon- month Mutual Fire Insurance Company. Mr Small had a son and a daughter. The son died young. The daughter (Mrs T. W. Ham) resides on the home- stead. Joel, son of Joseph, settled on the farm adjoining that of his father on the north, and for many years was engaged in ship-building as master builder for parties in Gardiner, Pittston, and Dresden, and largely for the Coopers of Gardiner. He represented Wales in 1843 and 1844, and subsequently moved to East Somerville, Mass. After several years he returned to Wales, where he died in 1886 at the residence of his son-in-law, John C. Fogg, at the age of 91 years. His wife was 91 years old at her death, and survived him four years. Joseph settled in Newport, where he died several years since. Daniel, a Baptist minister, preached in Thomaston and other places in Maine, moved to Wis- consin and then to Kansas, where he died in 1872. Otis was a briek mason, contractor and builder for some years in Bangor, and later removed to St John, N. B., where he was engaged extensively in building and running steamboats from the St John's. Alvin E. Small was the most widely known of this family. He was born in Wales, March 4, 1811, became a homœopathic physi- cian, settled in Philadelphia, Pa., and moved from thence to Chicago, where he died some two years ago. He deserves the credit of having worked his way unaided to the eminent position he occupied. He traveled extensively in Europe, wrote several medical works (some of which have been translated into German), contributed largely to leading medical journals, and occupied for many years the chair of theory and practice in Hahnemann Medical Col- lege of Chicago. He was the first native of Wales who became a physician. William is a merchant and resides in Fort Fairfield. George died young. Two daughters, Hannah Given and Mary Moody, are yet living.
Joseph Murch came from Gorham, Me, in 1792, and settled on a farm near Joseph Small's, subsequently owned by Joel Small. His house and three children were destroyed by fire. This is the only house known to have been burned in Wales. John Larrabee came from Scarborough about 1792, and settled on the farm now owned by Joseph W. Sawyer. He had four sons ; Stephen and John settled in Bath and engaged in ship-building. Philip and Daniel settled in Wales and were engaged for a number of years in cutting ship-timber in Virginia and Maryland.
Daniel and Ebenezer Small came from Limington in 1793, and settled near the center of the town. Charles Collins afterward settled on Eben Small's farm. Daniel was the father of Joseph, and his place adjoined his son's on the sonth. At the age of 19, while living with his parents at Castine, he was taken captive by the Indians, held by them 11 months, and sold as a prisoner to a French colonel at Quebec, where he remained until its capture by General
488
HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.
Wolfe. David, Adron, and Isaiah Jenkins settled in the northeastern part of the town, on farms now occupied by their descendants. Isaac S. Jenkins lives on the farm of David, and the family of Lawson W. Jenkins on the farm of Isaiah. David came from Monmouth in 1793. He had 13 children, but one of whom now resides in Wales. Two of the sons, Samuel and Abner, served in the War of 1812. Isaac S. Jenkins had one son, Hiram, in the Union army during the Rebellion. He died in service, October 19, 1864. James Clark and James Wilson settled in the northwestern part of the town in 1793, Clark on the farm now owned by his son Robert H. on the Pond road.
Captain Enoch Strout came from Limington in 1796 or 1797, and settled on the farm now owned by his grandson, Charles W. Strout. He was a soldier in the War of the Revolution and the first militia captain chosen in town. His son William served in the War of 1812, and subsequently settled on a farm near the center of the town, north of Joel Small's farm. This farm is now owned by Robert C. Jones. The Joel Small farm is now owned by A. M. Donnell. Sewall C. Strout, son of Eben Strout and grandson of Enoch, is a native of Wales, who occupies a prominent position at the Cumberland bar. Joshua Adams came from Gorham and cleared the farm now owned by Luther D. Ricker. Luther and Wentworth Lombard moved from Gorham and settled in the central part of the town on the farm now owned by Almond Lombard. Matthew Higgins came from Gorham in 1798, and settled on the farm now owned by Luther Lombard and Walter E. Webster. Joseph Foss came from Scarborough in 1799, and settled on the farm now owned by Joseph Wight, lived there several years, and probably died there. Obed Hobbs, Simonds Gatchell, Benjamin Tibbets, and Elijah Morton came about 1797 and settled in the central part of the town.
William Given came from Brunswick in 1798 and took up a farm in the western part, lived for some years in a log house, and then built a large two- story house and occupied it until his death, after which it was owned by his son Philip. Of William's 11 children none are living. One of his sons, William, was a soldier in the War of 1812. One of his daughters married Captain John Lombard, who was a successful ship-master for many years, and died in Gardiner. Another daughter married a sea-captain. Philip, who lived on the homestead, had four sons and one daughter. The sons have followed a seafaring life to some extent. The oldest son, Freeman L., was master of a ship for many years. The daughter now lives in Monmouth. The farm is now owned by Orville S. Jones. Arthur Given, Sen., came from Brunswick in 1798, and opened the first public house in town on the farm adjoining his brother's on the south. He was appointed the first postmaster, and held the office so long as he was competent to perform its duties. His son, Arthur, was then appointed to the office and held it during his active life. His daughter Elizabeth was his successor and held it till her death, and after an interval
489
TOWN OF WALES.
of two years Mrs Hattie L. Given, the present incumbent, was appointed. The office has been kept continuously in the dwelling-house of Arthur Given, Sen., since the mail route was established. Arthur Given, Jr, had three sons and one daughter. Lincoln and Arthur are Free Baptist ministers. Arthur is a graduate of Bates College. John was station agent on the Maine Central Railroad at Lewiston for many years.
John and James Witherell came from Berwick in 1800. James settled in the eastern part of the town. John settled on the farm now owned by R. C. Jones. John was a quartermaster in the Revolution. He had 12 children, and his youngest son, Rufus, is now living (1890) on Monmouth Ridge. Rufus and Daniel Marr, brothers and carpenters, came from Scarborough in 1800. Rufus settled on the farm now owned by his grandson, Henry S. Marr. He had three sons and three daughters. Henry, who succeeded his father on the homestead, had two sons, Henry S. and Frank E., who now occupy the place. Daniel Marr located on what was known as the John Whittum farm, now owned by William T. Dingley. Joseph Maxwell, came from Cape Elizabeth about 1800, and settled on the farm now owned by his grandson, Daniel A. Maxwell. Joseph erected the first grist-mill in town, on a small stream near his farm-house. Four of his sons settled on farms near the homestead.
Benjamin Fogg came from Scarborough in 1800 and settled on the farm now owned by John C. Fogg. He had two sons and one daughter. William succeeded his father on the homestead, and C. M. was a blacksmith, and settled near his father. William had four sous; two died young ; John C. occupies the home farm, and George W. lives near. Ephraim, brother of Benjamin, came later, and settled on the farm where Ira Alexander now resides. He had four sons (all carpenters) and four daughters. William Fogg, a cousin of Benjamin, came from Scarborough in 1800, settled on the farm with Benjamin, and later moved to the farm where Hugh Mottram now lives. This farm was successively owned by Alvan and B. S. Fogg, sons of William. Alkana Spear came here about this time, but soon moved away.
Captain Harding Lombard came here from Cape Cod, Mass., about 1795, and settled in the southeast part of the town adjoining the farm now owned by J. W. Sawyer, on the sonth. Captain Lombard had three sons and two daughters. The sons followed the sea for many years. John, the oldest, was a very successful ship-master, and settled on the farm now owned by Alden Moulton. Luther, the second son, was also a successful ship-master, and settled in Webster. Harding, the youngest, followed the sea as mate for many years. He never married. John had four sons and four daughters. His oldest son, John E., is a ship-master. Hugh Gatchell came about this time and settled on the farm now owned by the heirs of James Mann. He had two sons and two daughters. Smith Ricker came about 1800 and settled on the farm now occupied by his son-in-law, Joseph G. Bragg. He had three sons
490
HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.
and three daughters, all now dead except one daughter. Shadrach Dixon came about this time and settled on the farm now owned by his grandson, Nelson G. Dixon. Ernest S. Dixon is a great-grandson. James Maxwell came about the same time, settled on the farm now occupied by Jesse Austin. He had a family of two sons and two daughters.
Abraham Jewell, about 1803, settled on the farm now owned by his son, Nelson S. George Foss, of Scarborough, in 1804 settled on the place now owned by J. W. Ricker. After a few years he sold to Major Josiah Libby, who opened a public house, which he maintained for many years. This was one of the stopping places on the stage route from Portland to Augusta by way of the South West Bend in Durham. This farm was subsequently owned by F. C. Marr, Joel Small, Harrison Ham, Joseph C. Wright, Andrew J. Given, and now by J. W. Ricker. This house was extensively known as the Major Libby Tavern. Nathaniel Chace came from Brunswick about 1805 and settled on the farm now owned by Hugh Mottram. Anthony Woodside came from the same town about 1806, and settled on the farm north of the Chase farm, where his grandson, George Woodside, now resides. He had five sons and one daughter; one son, B. F. Woodside, was a graduate of Bowdoin College in 1840, studied law and practiced in Boston until his death in 1890. Anthony, Jr, also graduated from Bowdoin College in 1840, and studied medicine, but died early. Calvin lived on the farm of his father. He had five sons and three daughters. One of the sons, Albert, is now a physician in St George. Edwin is a merchant at Sabattus, and Elbridge is in business in Lewiston. William Swett came from Brunswick about 1806 and settled on the farm now owned by Almond Lombard. One of his sons, Ebenezer, lived for some years on the homestead, and followed butchering in connection with farming. He afterwards moved to Brunswick, where he devoted his time to butchering and retailing meats, in which he was quite noted. James Swett, brother of William, came at the same time and settled on the farm now owned by R. C. Jones.
Josiah Libby came from Searborough about 1807 and settled on the farm now owned by J. W. Ricker. He kept a public house for many years, was a major in the militia and a town officer for many years. He returned to Scar- borough after he ceased to do business, and died there. David Plumer came from Gorham in 1808 and settled on the farm adjoining that of Benjamin Fogg on the south. This farm is now divided and owned by Luther Lombard and Walter E. Webster. Mr Plumer was a tanner and shoemaker as well as a farmer, trades that in those early days were pursued by the same person to a great extent. He was one of the first justices of the peace, if not the first one, in town. He was also one of the earliest municipal officers of the town. He had a large family, but his children are dead and none of his descendants are residents of Wales. Joshua Hanscom came from Scarborough about 1810
491
TOWN OF WALES.
and settled first on the farm now occupied by Joseph Wight, then removed to the farm where John W. Strout now resides, and died there. He had five sons and two daughters. James Taylor came from Lewiston about 1810 and settled on the farm now owned by Hiram F. Frost. He was a soldier in the War of 1812. His father, Thomas, was a soldier in the Revolution. Enoch N. Taylor, son of James, settled in the eastern part of the town, where his widow and one daughter now reside. Two of his sons, Edwin and Samuel W., served in the war of the Rebellion. Samuel Libby came from Scarborough about 1810, and settled on the farm now owned by his grandson, Llewellyn S. Libby. Mr Libby had a family of seven children, three sons and four daughters. Seth Libby had one son, Llewellyn S., in the Union army during the Rebellion. David Dunning came from Brunswick in 1810 and settled on the farm now owned by Fred C. Collins. John Hamilton came about that time and settled on the farm now owned by Davis Maxwell. He carried on quite an extensive business tanning and shoemaking. He had three sons and two daughters. John and Hiram were captains in the militia. Hiram was commander of a company in the Aroostook War. Moses Sanborn moved into town about this time, and settled on the farm now owned by Robert Carlton, and died there.
In 1815 James Hodsdon came from South Berwick and settled on the farm now owned by his son, Oliver, on the eastern slope of Sabattis mountain. He was a soldier of the Revolution. He had four sons and six daughters. His son Benjamin, who resided on the homestead, had two sons who were soldiers in the Rebellion. Both were wounded, and one died in service. Another lives and draws a pension. Hugh Owen moved into town (the date not known) and settled on a lot south of Hiram Foss's farm. He had four sons and three daughters. His son Thomas settled in Leeds. David settled in Wales on the farm now owned by Charles Webster. James lived many years in Waterville and engaged in milling to some extent. William settled in Bath. David had two sons, one of whom, Cyrus L., first learned the black- smith trade, then went to manufacturing moccasins. The other, Josiah, commeneed work for the Maine Central Railroad at the time it was built, and is in the employ of the company now. He has been conductor on the Dexter branch since its completion, a continuous service of some 40 years.
Simon Libby came from Scarborough about 1824, and settled on the farm now owned by Joshua Brackett, near Leeds Junction, then moved to the place now occupied by his son, Furber Libby. He had four sons and three daughters, and was a soldier in the War of 1812. James McFarland came abont this time and settled on the farm now owned by the heirs of David S. Sanborn. He was a blacksmith. His son James, Jr, settled on a lot taken from the north side of his father's farm. He had one son in the Union army. His son David settled on the farm now owned by Joshua Brackett and died there. Ichabod Haws came into town at an early date. He also was a blacksmith, and lived
492
HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.
on the farm now occupied by Charles G. Fish. He had five children. The two sons were blacksmiths. Jonathan Fogg about 1816 settled on the northern slope of Sabattis mountain on the farm now owned by B. F. Roberts.
Hiram Foss settled on the farm now owned by William T. Dingley. | Hc had five sons and four daughters. He moved to Auburn, where he died. Joseph Foss settled on the farm adjoining that of Hiram on the north. He had four sons and three daughters. He was elected representative for one year, and was also colonel in the militia. He was a carpenter as well as a farmer. This farm is now owned by S. B. Greenwood. Daniel Foss, a brother of the two preceding, first settled on the farm now owned by F. A. MeKenney. He lived on several other places in town and finally moved to Lewiston. He had four sons and one daughter.
Phineas Thompson moved into town early and settled on a farm on Thomp- son's hill. He had one son and one daughter. The son, Laurel G., now lives on a part of the D. M. Labree farm. His father's farm is now occupied by G. W. Fogg. Nathaniel Jewell also moved into town at an early date and settled on Thompson's hill adjoining the farm of P. Thompson. He was a captain in the War of 1812, also a captain in the militia later. He was a brick mason. He had three sons and four daughters. He had one son, Elias, in the expedition to Aroostook in 1839. Robert Given, son of Arthur Given, settled first on Thompson's hill, then removed to Newport or Corinna. This farm passed through many hands, and is now owned by Robert F. Wheeler, who came from Leeds.
Church History. - The earliest church organization was the Baptists, dated December 25, 1800. The first mention of a deacon is in May, 1801, when Deacon Spofford was put down from serving as deacon and Brother David Jenkins was established deacon, and Brother James Labree was elected deacon on trial. July 24, 1802, met for conference and then agreed to have a church meeting. Chose Brother Labrec moderator. Voted a brother under suspen- sion for breaking covenant in persisting in going to hear the Methodists. The first election of a clerk upon the records is in September, 1805, when Joseph Murch was chosen, but, judging from the penmanship, there were many changes in the office. The whole number of members September, 1809, was 42. The first ordained pastor was Elder James Pierce, received October 14, 1810. May 6, 1833, Elder James Pierce was excluded from the church for refusing to give satisfaction for charges brought against him without proof. In August of the same year Elder Daniel Pierce was admitted into the church, and the two ministers furnished preaching until about 1839. In July, 1839, Elder Smith Hinkley was received as pastor, which position he held until 1842. In 1843 Elder William Smith was received as pastor, which position he held until 1850, when Elder Thomas Goldthwait was installed. The last entry in the first Baptist church records is dated June 21, 1856.
493
TOWN OF WALES.
The Second Baptist Church was organized August 13, 1856, and consisted of 16 members. Isaac S. Jenkins and Aaron Winslow were elected deacons, and Joel Small, clerk. Meetings were maintained until 1859, when the church disbanded.
Free Baptists. - The "Church of Christ in Wales, called the United Brethren or Free-Will Baptists," was constituted April 14, 1826, by Elder Abiezer Bridges, with 13 members: Enoch Strout, William Given, Joseph Small, David Dunning, Phillip Given, William Dunning, James Owen, Samuel Small, Marcia Strout, Martha Given, Louisa Given, Freeman Lombard, and Ebenezer Dunning. June 7, 1826, Enoch Strout and Joseph Small were chosen deacons; Samuel Small, treasurer; and Joseph Small, clerk (who held office until his death in 1836, when Gilbert Strout was chosen). Elder Silas Curtis was the first pastor mentioned in the records. Elder Allen Files was chosen pastor "so long as he shall continue to reside with us," and remained until after 1861. June 2, 1832, Joseph Maxwell was chosen deacon, on the death of Enoch Strout. January 7, 1835, the quarterly meeting of the association was held with this church. In 1852 Lincoln Given was clerk. In 1856 John Given was clerk, and William Ham was chosen deacon. November 2, 1861, Rev. S. W. Royal, of New Gloucester, was received into the church. This is the last entry upon the records.
Church Buildings. - The first church was erected in 1827 by the Freewill Baptists near the center of the town on land taken from the farm owned by Joel Small. This house was torn down, and rebuilt in 1856 (on land taken from the farm of Charles W. Strout on the Pond road, ) by the Baptists, Freewill Baptists, Methodists, and Universalists, as a union church, and was occupied by each society their relative portion of the time until 1870, since which time preaching has been secured by general subscription. The Baptists built a church which cost $1,000 in 1838, upon land bought from the Joseph Gray farm in the easterly part of the town. This was unoccupied for several years, and was sold and taken down in 1886.
The First School in town was taught by Captain Joseph Small in a dwelling- house on the Pond road. He was followed by Mr Hill, Arthur Given, Mr Page, Daniel Evans, Fayette Mace, Richard Elder, Joel Small, and Enoch Strout. There are now eight school-houses in town. The district system was abolished in 1889, and the town system substituted. There were 150 scholars
in town in April, 1891.
Water-powers, Mills, and Manufactures .- During the first twelve or fifteen years of settlement, the settlers were obliged to carry their bags of corn and grain on their shoulders twenty miles to the nearest mill. There were no roads at that date and the settlers were compelled to travel in paths through the forest marked by spotted trees, to the older and more advanced settlements. Their only meats were such as could be procured by the trap, shot-gun, and
494
HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.
rifle, and were bear, moose, deer, and smaller game, which was plenty in those days. The only grist-mill ever erected in town was built by Joseph Maxwell on a small stream in the eastern part of the town, near his dwelling. The first saw-mill was built by Daniel M. Labree on a small stream on his home farm, where he could saw boards, shingles, etc., for a few weeks each in the spring and fall. The next was built by Benjamin Vining on a small stream on his farm. Another one was built by B. C. Jenkins on his farm in the north- eastern part of the town, which is still in use. The others have long ago ceased to exist. George T. Howe has a yard near Leeds Junction, where he manufactures some 800,000 of first quality of brick annually.
Need help finding more records? Try our genealogical records directory which has more than 1 million sources to help you more easily locate the available records.