USA > Maine > Androscoggin County > History of Androscoggin County, Maine > Part 81
Note: The text from this book was generated using artificial intelligence so there may be some errors. The full pages can be found on Archive.org (link on the Part 1 page).
Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5 | Part 6 | Part 7 | Part 8 | Part 9 | Part 10 | Part 11 | Part 12 | Part 13 | Part 14 | Part 15 | Part 16 | Part 17 | Part 18 | Part 19 | Part 20 | Part 21 | Part 22 | Part 23 | Part 24 | Part 25 | Part 26 | Part 27 | Part 28 | Part 29 | Part 30 | Part 31 | Part 32 | Part 33 | Part 34 | Part 35 | Part 36 | Part 37 | Part 38 | Part 39 | Part 40 | Part 41 | Part 42 | Part 43 | Part 44 | Part 45 | Part 46 | Part 47 | Part 48 | Part 49 | Part 50 | Part 51 | Part 52 | Part 53 | Part 54 | Part 55 | Part 56 | Part 57 | Part 58 | Part 59 | Part 60 | Part 61 | Part 62 | Part 63 | Part 64 | Part 65 | Part 66 | Part 67 | Part 68 | Part 69 | Part 70 | Part 71 | Part 72 | Part 73 | Part 74 | Part 75 | Part 76 | Part 77 | Part 78 | Part 79 | Part 80 | Part 81 | Part 82 | Part 83 | Part 84 | Part 85 | Part 86 | Part 87 | Part 88 | Part 89 | Part 90 | Part 91 | Part 92 | Part 93 | Part 94 | Part 95 | Part 96 | Part 97 | Part 98 | Part 99 | Part 100 | Part 101 | Part 102 | Part 103 | Part 104 | Part 105 | Part 106 | Part 107 | Part 108
November 14, 1833, the meeting-house in Auburn, located on Main street, near Drummond, was dedicated. Order of exercises as given by Andrew R. Giddinge: "1. Acceptance of Bible, in two vols, presented by Rev. Mr Adams, pastor ; 2. Music ; 3. Prayer by Rev. Mr Greely, of Turner; 4. An Original dedicatory hymn; 5. Sermon by Rev. Mr Thurston of Winthrop; 6. Music ; 7. Address by Rev. Mr Jones of Minot; 8. Prayer by Rev. Mr. Hawes of Topsham ; 9. Music; 10. Appointment of an evening service; Music, Dis- mission, Benediction." Mr Giddinge also gives us this account of Thanks- giving exercises, November 21: "There were present about fifty men, women, and children. Mr Adams read a portion of Scripture, and, after the singing, Squire Little made a prayer. Another psalm was sung and Josiah Little, Esq., read a sermon of the late Dr Payson. Mr Adams made the concluding prayer, 150th psalm and doxology were sung, benediction, and we parted in peace." The First Church Choir was organized by Freeman Newell in his tailor shop, situated where Phoenix Block now stands. Harriet Gould, Sarah Little (Mrs Charles Clark), David R. Loring and wife were among the singers. Mr Newell led the choir for 14 years ; at one time, while leading the choir, he played the base viol and sang tenor at the same time. This choir was a very harmonious one, as they sang for love and not for money. "Some Sundays there were more singers in the gallery than the minister had hearers in the pews below." The First Organ .- This was a very rickety old organ, bought second-hand in Boston. Miss Marantha Dunn was the organist. In 1838 there was a revival in Auburn and Lewiston, and August 31, 16 candidates were propounded for admission into the church. November 21, 1838, Rev. Weston B. Adams, having asked for a dismissal on account of ill health, was by an ecclesiastical council discharged. July 24, 1839, Rev. Horace B. Chapin was
664
HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.
installed pastor, and died October 28, 1840. His death was sincerely lamented. October 11, 1842, Rev. James Drummond' was installed pastor of the church. July 15, 1854, 31 members residents of Lewiston, were dismissed from the church to be organized into a church in Lewiston. June 2, 1858, Mr Drum- mond, having asked for a dismissal, an ecclesiastical council granted his request.
July 4, 1858, 31 persons were received into the church on profession of faith. October 26, 1858, Rev. Aaron C. Adams was installed pastor. June 15, 1862, the church creed and covenant were revised. July, 1862, 42 were received on profession of faith. August, 26 were received into the church on profession of faith. April, 1867, 27 persons were received on profession of faith. May, 26 persons were received into the church on profession of faith. July, 7 persons were received on profession of faith. Under the pastorate of Mr Adams there were revivals in 1862 and in 1867. September 16, 1867, Mr Adams resigned his office as pastor. The ecclesiastical council met November 5, 1867, and dismissed Mr Adams, although his labors had been signally blest during the previous year, and there was no suggestion made that he lacked ability, piety, or good moral character. January 23, 1868, Rev. Henry L. Hall was ordained pastor. March 16, 1869, Mr Hall, having resigned on account of ill health, was dismissed. He was a man of enlarged Christian views, very assiduous in his ministerial labors, warm-hearted in social intercourse, and his sermons gave evidence of a sound, discriminating, and well-disciplined mind. October 6, 1869, Rev. George Harris, Jr, was ordained pastor. Mr Harris, two years later asked for a dismission, which was granted January 15, 1872. The church and congregation were well satisfied with his sermons. Rev. A. B. Tinker was ordained and installed pastor October 16, 1873, and dismissed December 20, 1882. He was much beloved by the people. He was succeeded by Rev. Henry C. Westwood, D.D., December 3, 1883, who remained until September 29, 1885. He was followed, in April, 1886, by Rev. F. S. Root as acting pastor. He re- signed in October, 1891. Mr Root, a scholarly man, took pride in the progress of the church. N. I. Jordan, T. E. Eustis, and Henry P. Dorman are the parish committee. The present house of worship, a good and convenient edifice, stands on High street, and the parish that built it is known by the name of " High Street Congregational Parish." The church has a seating capacity of
1 Rev. James Drummond was born at Bristol, in April, 1815, and was graduated at Bowdoin in 1836 with the highest honors of his class. He was the leading member of the class of 1841 of Bangor Theological Seminary. In 1842 he became pastor here, and continued 16 years. While here he was the principal editor of the Maine Evangelist and an editorial contributor to the Lewiston Journal. In 1858 he removed to Springfield, Mass. He died November 29, 1861. Dr J. G. Holland wrote of him: " His sermons were never dry. He never preached one without a reason for it. His sympathy with the people in all their pursuits, in their innocent pleasure as well as trials, enabled him to find and hold their hearts. Love was his atmosphere. He gave it to all-he craved it from all. There was no man so bad that he could not find some good in him; there was no life so evil that he did not strive to make some apology for it in temptation and circumstance."
665
CITY OF AUBURN.
800. The Sabbath school was commenced soon after the church was organized, and now has a membership of about 300. Edward Little, Esq., was superin- tendent for several years after the organization of the school. Since about 1860 the superintendents have been John F. Cobb (Mr Cobb has been a mem- ber of the church over 42 years), John L. Merrill, J. C. Haskell, Henry W. Oakes, H. P. Dorman, and W. A. Robinson. Rev. James Heath, the church missionary, is doing a noble work in holding religious services, distributing books, and aiding many temporally and spiritually.
Sixth Street Congregational Church (New Auburn). - In January, 1874, a Union Sunday school was organized and held its sessions in the first school building on Sixth street. This was the nucleus of the Sixth Street Congrega- tional Church. The present chapel was completed in March, 1875. Two years ago an addition of a vestry was made to meet the needs of the society. The church was organized September 16, 1875, with these persons: David Ripley Loring, Sarah Hayes Loring, Susan Loring, Isaac Haskell, Anna Briggs Haskell, Samuel Parker Merrill, Ellen Mary Merrill, Dorothy Pettingill, Florence Josephine Bolster, Mary Josephine Bolster, A. M. Pulsifer, Hattie C. Pulsifer, Horatio B. Pulsifer, Augusta E. Pulsifer, Ella Martha Woodbury, Denancia Amanda Gilbert, Hattie Newall Lane, Josephine Rivers, Fannie Mennealy, George Shaw Morse, Martha Anne Morse, Lauriston Reynolds. Rev. Lauriston Reynolds was also ordained to the gospel ministry and became pastor. He remained until August 2, 1885. His successor was Rev. L. J. Thomas, the present pastor, who commenced his labors with this church September 20, 1885. [He was born at Eagle Hill, Pa, was educated at Wyoming Seminary, Kingston, Pa, Bangor Seminary, and Yale University. He was ordained and installed pastor of the Congregational church at Castine, June 18, 1875, and afterwards was at Reed City, Michigan.] The deacons are William Maloon and Samuel Parker Merrill. Isaac Haskell (deceased) was a deacon. The number of church members at present is 159. The membership of the Sunday school is 157. The school is in a prosperous condition under the efficient management of Mr B. L. Pitman, its superintendent. The books in the library have been selected with great care. Sixth Street Church affords an admirable illustration of Christian unity and true catholicity. Among its members and working force are many who doubtless would affiliate with churches of another order elsewhere, who here work heartily together for the common good.
West Auburn Congregational Church. - In 1805 a meeting-house was erected at Minot, now West Auburn, and was occupied by the Congregationalists until the death of their pastor, Rev. Jonathan Scott, October 19, 1819. It was then used by Congregationalists, Baptists, and Universalists. The Congregationalists bought the property, and in 1846 built a new church edifice on the same site. Previous to May 1, 1844, this territory had been a part of the United Congre-
666
HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.
gational Church of Minot, but on that date the West Auburn Congregational Church was formed with 86 members. The first pastor was Rev. Thomas G. Mitchell; he was installed in November, 1846, and remained until January, 1850. In September, 1851, Rev. Thomas A. Lord became pastor. In 1852 and 1853 the membership was much increased. Mr Lord closed his labors in 1857, and, October, 1858, accepted a second call from the church and society, and was duly installed. His long and faithful services here continued until 1872. Rev. Lewis Goodrich came in October, 1872, and he also was clerk. In 1873, 15 members were added by letter. In 1874 the church manual was revised by a committee of the church; this year there were three addi- tional members. Rev. Mr Goodrich was pastor until May 29, 1875. Rev. Joseph Cogswell commenced his pastorate here, of six years, October 31, 1875. He was succeeded by Rev. John S. Bachelder in 1882, who died January 27, 1884. There were but few additions to the membership during the last decade. In 1885 Rev. Mr Reynolds and others held a series of meetings; 9 persons became members. From 1883 to December, 1888, the pulpit was supplied by Bates College professors, and Rev. Mr Woodrow, who preached at stated periods in 1886 and 1887. December, 1888, Rev. Leander P. Gurney, commenced his ministerial services. West Auburn being to a certain extent a summer resort, the congregations are much larger during the summer. The chief cause of the decline in the prosperity of this church was the removal of business to Auburn. In 1889 the church building was extensively repaired, and there is now a very inviting audience room. In 1890 the vestry was repaired and beautified, furnished, and a fine reed organ put in. The Sunday school has about 30 pupils. S. N. Grose is superintendent. He has been church clerk for five years and contributed the data for this sketch.
Court Street Baptist Church. - In the spring of 1859 the brethren of the Lewiston Falls Baptist Church and others residing on the west side of the river in Auburn, believing "that it would be for the interest of the Baptist cause, and also the promotion of Christ's kingdom in the world," conceived the idea of forming a Baptist church in Auburn, and a meeting of the church was called and a committee chosen to call a council. The council met the last of July, and expressed their approval. A lot was purchased on Spring street, and a chapel capable of seating 300 persons was built during the winter at an expense of $1,300, and dedicated April 6, 1860. March 24, 1860, voted unanimously to give Brother Nathaniel Butler a call to become pastor of the church and society when formed. The call was most cordially accepted. June 14, 1860, an ecclesiastical council met for the organization of a church, to be known as the Spring Street Baptist Church. Deacon Elijah Barrell was chosen moderator, and Rev. A. H. Gonld, of East Auburn, clerk. The council was composed of Rev. William H. Shaler, Rev. G. W. Bosworth, and G. F. Emery, Esq., of Portland; Rev. N. M. Wood, Rev. J. Golder, R. E. Madison, and D. T.
667
CITY OF AUBURN.
French, of Lewiston; Rev. L. S. Tripp and G. Wright, of Sabattus; Rev. A. H. Gould, Deacon G. H. Woodman, and J. Nash, of East Auburn; Deacon William Dingley, Jeremiah Dingley, and J. Miller, of Durham ; Deacon Elijah Barrell, of Greene. After the proceedings relative to the forming of the church and the calling of the council were read, it was "voted that we recognize these Brethren and Sisters as a Church of Christ." Rev. N. M. Wood preached the sermon, Rev. G. W. Bosworth offered the prayer of recognition, Rev. William H. Shaler gave the charge, and Rev. Dr Knox presented the right-hand of fellowship. Rev. Nathaniel Butler was chosen moderator; I. B. Kimball, clerk ; Thomas Deering, treasurer; and Henry Bangs, deacon.
Original Members. - Nathaniel Butler, Jennette Butler, I. B. Kimball, Calvin Record, H. R. Smith, Levi Gould, William Jordan, E. G. Coffin, Emma Coffin, Abbie P. Coffin, Susanna Coffin, Abigail J. Norton, Henry Bangs, Lovina Bangs, John Hicks, Elizabeth B. Smith, Elizabeth P. Smith, Abbie Kimball, Thomas J. Daws, Mary Daws, Minerva C. Dingley, L. E. Hicks, M. L. Record, M. J. Jordan, Lovina Merritt, Sarah A. Morse, Ada M. Morse, Adelia S. Morse, Lydia A. Gould, Amelia C. Gould, Hannah E. McKenney, Ruth P. McKenney, Olive J. Vickery, Philip A. Briggs, Rossie E. Phillips, Mary Varney, D. W. Wiggin, Abraham Libby, Lavinia Libby, William H. Lambert, V. A. Stetson, Thomas Storah, Marietta Storalı, Emma J. Libby, Susan G. Stackpole, Thomas Deering, Lucy Cham- berlin, Mary E. Harlow, William H. Wiggin, Caroline A. Jordan, Faustina Harris, Margaret C. Deering, Betsey Wiggin, Lucinda E. Wiggin, F. M. Jordan, Bethena Jordan, Ichabod Reynolds, Laura A. Reynolds.
The first baptism occurred Sunday, June 30, 1861. The church member- ship was gradually increased by letter and baptism until 1862, when a gracious revival resulted in the addition of many members, and a decided amount of strength to the church. May 10, 1863, Mr Butler resigned. His resignation was accepted with regret for the loss of an able and efficient pastor. December 1, Harris Smith Inman was ordained to the ministry and settled here as pastor. Mr Inman resigned January 1, 1866. Rev. G. P. Mathews, of Bath, succeeded him, March 21, 1866, and it was voted to make the pastor's salary $1,000. 31 members were received during this year, and Dr J. W. Beede, who was chosen to write the letter to the Baptist Association, reported encouraging progress.
June 4, 1867, D. T. French and William Randall were chosen deacons. July 23, 1867, voted to license Brother Moses C. Hanscom to preach the Gospel, after listening to his exercise, and call him to the Christian ministry, as it was very evident that God was calling him to labor in his vineyard. The annual meeting of the Baptist Association was held with this church in 1867. August 1, 1868, H. R. Smith and D. T. French were chosen deacons. June 5, 1870, voted to expend the money in the treasury towards furnishing a baptistery. Rev. Mr Mathews resigned in April, 1875. His pastorate was a prosperous one, and the church membership was greatly increased. Rev. W. A. Depew succeeded Mr Mathews in November, 1875, and resigned November 20, 1876, and a unanimous invitation was extended to Rev. Francis W. Bakeman, of Peabody, Mass., to become pastor, which was accepted, and he was installed
668
HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.
January 3, 1876. His labors met with marked results; 82 members were received by baptism, and 42 by letter, during his pastorate. April 20, 1884, Mr Bakeman resigned his pastorate, and December 24, Rev. Edwin C. Whitte- more entered upon his pastoral duties. Rev. Charles A. Towne succeeded Mr Whittemore in 1890. Silas Sprague is church clerk. The Sabbath school is in a prosperous condition. Nathaniel Melcher is superintendent.
Present Church Building. - In the spring of 1867 the rapid increase of the church and parish imperatively demanded a larger house of worship. February 4, 1868, the lot on Court street, just west of the court house, was purchased for $4,000. H. R. Smith, D. T. French, and F. M. Jordan were the building com- mittee, and May, 1869, ground was broken for the erection of the new building. In January, 1869, the old chapel was sold, and the society commenced worship in the vestry of the new house. August 25, 1870, the new building was dedicated. Occupying a commanding site, built of brick with brown stone trimmings, its exterior walls 953 x 72 feet and 43 feet in height, the whole crowned by a lofty spire, the edifice presents an imposing appearance, corre- sponding with its elegant interior. The vestry is 37 x 60 feet, from which open several smaller rooms. The audience room is 68x60 feet, and capable of seating 800 persons. The building cost over $40,000.
The Baptist Church of Minot was organized February 17, 1807, at the house of Deacon James Perkins, by delegates from New Gloucester, Hebron, Buck- field, and Sumner, with these members: James Perkins, Amos Harris, John Woodman, Samuel Swett, Alpheus Drake, Thomas Records, Betsey Perkins, Isabella Harris, Lydia Millett, Sally Webster. This is now the East Auburn Baptist Church. A church building existed " on the east side of the pond " as early as 1827. In 1849 a meeting-house was built and dedicated, which cost $1,300. In 1868 the record says "our meeting-house was on fire and too far advanced to save the house or furniture." A new one was soon erected and a church organization has been maintained till the present. Elder George Ricker became pastor in February, 1811. In 1824 eight members were dismissed to join the Baptist church in Turner. In 1825 a revival occurred, 12 joining the church. In 1839 conference was had with Elder Smith. In 1840 Noah Hooper became pastor. In 1843 Elder Joseph Hutchinson was employed at $2 per Sabbath. In 1844 Elder Ricker became pastor, with Joseph Hutchinson as colleague. May 16, 1850, Hiram C. Estes was ordained pastor, he to have $400 per year. He was dismissed September 24, 1852, on account of ill health, and February 11, 1853, A. J. Nelson was settled and preached till October 15, 1855. Rev. A. II. Gould became pastor October 4, 1856. November 5, 1860, he was dismissed with regrets. Rev. A. Snider came October 5, 1861. Deacon Daniel Briggs, who left the church quite a legacy, died October 29, 1862. In 1865 Rev. N. Whittemore was pastor. He was dismissed November 3, 1866. Hiram Woodman died October 5, 1865. Rev. C. A. Cooke commenced preaching
669
CITY OF AUBURN.
half the time January 1, 1868. He was succeeded in June, 1871, by Rev. N. C. Everett ; and he in August, 1873, by Rev. A. J. Nelson. In June, 1876, came Rev. A. A. Ford, who remained till 1879, when, in June, Edward S. Ufford was ordained pastor and served until October, 1881.
May 7, 1880, Mrs Julia Woodman, Mrs Ann M. Townsend, and Mrs Emily Allen were chosen deaconesses. March 14, 1880, died Deacon Greenleaf H. Woodman, one of the venerated pillars of the church. Rev. Andrew Hopper came in June, 1885. His health failing, he was given leave of absence in December, went to Florida, where he died April 12, 1886. Rev. James Heath preached one year, commencing in September, 1886. Rev. H. B. Marshall preached from November 8, 1888, to March 30, 1890. Rev. F. H. Gile began preaching April 13, 1890. W. C. Allen has been the efficient church clerk since 1885. It is said that Mrs Joana (Glover) Bird, wife of Captain Aaron Bird, presented a communion service to this church which is yet in use.
Court Street Free Baptist Church.1- A call was issued and a warrant pro- cured and signers obtained to hold a meeting April 25, 1859, to complete the organization of a Free Baptist meeting in Auburn. The following names were on the call: H. G. Garcelon, T. H. Longley, William Libby, I. C. Lom- bard, David E. Carle, Joseph Littlefield, Rufus Penley, Allen Pompilly, F. T. Howard, F. H. Nickerson, D. H. Rendall, J. W. Pompilly, W. R. Folsom, W. H. Small, Joseph W. Perkins, Henry McKenney, Thomas N. Mabury, Jesse Hayes, Paul Curtis, John Smith, Jr, J. F. Adams. The meeting was organ- ized by electing H. G. Garcelon, chairman, and F. H. Nickerson, clerk. A code of by-laws had been prepared, which were adopted and signed by the above-named persons. Meetings were then commenced in Auburn Hall, Rev. O. B. Cheney preaching on Sundays. The meetings were a success from the start. A Sabbath school was organized and H. G. Garcelon was chosen super- intendent. Application was made to Bowdoin Quarterly Meeting for a council to organize a church. The following brethren were sent for that purpose : Revs O. B. Cheney, Gideon Perkins, S. W. Gould, Bros S. N. Tufts and A. M. Jones. The meeting was held in Auburn Hall, August 14, 1859, and the church was organized under the name of The Second Free-Will Baptist Church, Lewiston Falls. These persons united with it, I. C. Lombard, William Libby, Aaron Chamberlin, H. G. Garcelon, Daniel Grover, David E. Carle, Joseph W. Perkins, Charlotte Ramsdell, Mary Hayes, Mary A. Conant, S. E. Perkins, Abbie G. Hackett, Lucy B. Merrill, Enoch Penley, John Smith, Jr, Rev. E. T. Fogg, Ruth Smith, Louisa Goss, Rosalina S. Fogg. Eliza H. Cum- mings. I. C. Lombard was elected clerk and treasurer; William Libby and Allen Pompilly, deacons. The first pastor was Bro. S. N. Tufts. He was ordained and installed October 20, 1859. The leading ones were intensely
1 By H. G. Garcelon.
670
HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.
in earnest: prayer-meetings were held at private houses, and well attended ; a growing interest was manifested, and the utmost harmony prevailed. The matter of having a church building was now one of great interest, and in the spring of 1860 a part of the lot where the church now stands was purchased, and a chapel, 50 x 32 feet, was commenced and completed, and dedicated in January, 1861, and the name of the society and church changed to Court Street Free Baptist Society. The cost of the church building and furnishing was $2,000. John W. Perkins and Mrs Lydia Howard, although not mem- bers, each gave $100 towards its erection. The church now had a home, excellent meetings, and united in the work for the Master.
Bro. Tufts closed his labors in January, 1863, having added 65 to its membership. He was an able and devoted minister. Rev. A. K. Moulton commenced as pastor in June, 1863, and rendered good service, added 50 to the membership, and closed his labors here in March, 1867. An invitation was extended to A. H. Heath, then in Bates College, to become pastor, which was accepted, to commence in January, 1868. Rev. C. E. Blake was engaged to supply, and was much liked ; 24 were taken into the church during his supply. The attendance gained so much the church building was raised and enlarged, and a vestry put in, at an expense of $4,000. It was re-dedicated in January, 1868, when Mr Heath was ordained and installed pastor. He remained with the church until July, 1870, when he resigned. During his pastorate 60 came into the church. Rev. E. N. Fernald commenced a pastorate of three years in October, 1870. October, 1873, in consequence of an injury on the cars, he resigned. He raised $3,300 to pay the debt of the society, and added 34 to the church. C. E. Frost, a Bates theological student, then supplied. He was assisted occasionally by Rev. J. S. Marriner, who was installed pastor, April, 1875, and the 16th of May, 55 were received into the church, mostly by baptism. These conversions were the result of Messrs Frost's and Marriner's labors. The attendance continued to increase under Mr Marriner's ministra- tion, and it was decided to remove the old building, secure an addition to the lot, and commence the erection of the present church edifice. Plans were made by Messrs Stevens and Coombs ; the foundation laid by Mr B. H. Joslin. The contract for the building was taken by Messrs Dinsmore & Greenleaf, for $10,000. The work was commenced July 14, 1877, and completed in April 1878. The size of the house is 113 x 57 feet, the steeple 165 feet high ; there are 126 pews in the body of the house, and 37 in the gallery, with a seating capacity of 800. It has a fine organ costing $2,750; a bell weighing about 1,700 lbs, costing $600, paid for by subscriptions obtained by Bro. Marriner. The cost of the church and furnishings, exclusive of the lot, was $18,000. The lot is a large one, and is finely located. Mr Marriner closed his success- ful labors in August, 1880. Rev. C. E. Blake supplied until December, 1880, when Rev. J. J. Hall commenced as pastor. He remained until March, 1886.
671
CITY OF AUBURN.
147 members were added to the church, and the society debt was greatly reduced during his stay. The college professors supplied mostly until Rev. Thomas H. Stacy commenced his labors in July, 1886. At this writing, 1891, he is still the pastor. 87 have been added to the church under his teachings. The whole number of members since its commencement is 676. Some of the members who have gone to their rewards have made donations in their wills to the society. The wife of Hon. James Dingley gave $1,000; William Haskell, $400; Mrs Rev. John Chaney and Joseph Hutchinson also remembered the society. The present church membership is some over 400. This church has always maintained a good Sabbath school, and large numbers of the church members have been and still are connected with it. The present average attendance is about 200; L. G. Lord, superintendent; H. G. Garcelon, secretary.
Need help finding more records? Try our genealogical records directory which has more than 1 million sources to help you more easily locate the available records.