History of Androscoggin County, Maine, Part 101

Author: Merrill, Georgia Drew, ed
Publication date: 1891
Publisher: Boston, W.A. Fergusson & co.
Number of Pages: 1050


USA > Maine > Androscoggin County > History of Androscoggin County, Maine > Part 101


Note: The text from this book was generated using artificial intelligence so there may be some errors. The full pages can be found on Archive.org (link on the Part 1 page).


Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5 | Part 6 | Part 7 | Part 8 | Part 9 | Part 10 | Part 11 | Part 12 | Part 13 | Part 14 | Part 15 | Part 16 | Part 17 | Part 18 | Part 19 | Part 20 | Part 21 | Part 22 | Part 23 | Part 24 | Part 25 | Part 26 | Part 27 | Part 28 | Part 29 | Part 30 | Part 31 | Part 32 | Part 33 | Part 34 | Part 35 | Part 36 | Part 37 | Part 38 | Part 39 | Part 40 | Part 41 | Part 42 | Part 43 | Part 44 | Part 45 | Part 46 | Part 47 | Part 48 | Part 49 | Part 50 | Part 51 | Part 52 | Part 53 | Part 54 | Part 55 | Part 56 | Part 57 | Part 58 | Part 59 | Part 60 | Part 61 | Part 62 | Part 63 | Part 64 | Part 65 | Part 66 | Part 67 | Part 68 | Part 69 | Part 70 | Part 71 | Part 72 | Part 73 | Part 74 | Part 75 | Part 76 | Part 77 | Part 78 | Part 79 | Part 80 | Part 81 | Part 82 | Part 83 | Part 84 | Part 85 | Part 86 | Part 87 | Part 88 | Part 89 | Part 90 | Part 91 | Part 92 | Part 93 | Part 94 | Part 95 | Part 96 | Part 97 | Part 98 | Part 99 | Part 100 | Part 101 | Part 102 | Part 103 | Part 104 | Part 105 | Part 106 | Part 107 | Part 108


1 John Keen, son of John and Jerusha (Blake) Keen, was born in Tannton, Mass., May 9, 1762, m. Priscilla Robinson, March 19, 1785, and became an early settler of Sumner. He died August 15, 1842. Children: Priscilla, John, Jacob, Josiah, Jerusha, Rebecca, Thomas B. John, born December 13, 1788, died May 9, 1869, carried on milling business at North Turner many years. He married Jerusha Fisher, March 27, 1814. His son, John (on account of his height of over six feet known as "the infant"), had a daughter, Hattie E., m. Elias Keene, the hotel keeper. Jacob, born December 25, 1790, m. Betsey Shaw, and died in North Turner, March 18, 1872. He had many children. Josiah, born January 14, 1793, m. Deborah C. House, was a miller. He died at North Turner, October 14, 1866. He had children: Benjamin, Lebbeus, John, Gaius, Jane, Elias, Rebecca, Elizabeth, and Deborah. Lebbeus, Jane, and Elias are living. Elias Keene was born in North Turner, July 2, 1825. His educa- tion was gained by experience, observation, and reading. He has familiarized himself with cabinet making, carpentering, farming, etc., and has carried on wool carding from 1849, since 1879 for himself. In 1876 he purchased the North Turner House. He has increased its capacity fivefold, and in 1881 built a commodious hall, which is the headquarters of the G. A. R and Knights of Pythias. He is a Republican in politics, a liberal in religion, and a radical in temperance. He married: (1st) Elvira I. Hayford, (2d) Eliza S. Drake, (3d) Hattie E. Keen. Children: Minnie E., Vinnie E., Maud E. Jerusha m. Solomon Stinchfield, of Leeds. Rebecca, born March 24, 1797, m. Reuben Libby, and died March 15, 1872. Of her children four are living. Thomas B., born July 24, 1799, m. Sally Teague, and died February 21, 1858.


2 The Turner Fullers are the eighth generation in descent from Dr Samuel Fuller, who came in the Mayflower in 1620, was the first physician of the Old Colony, and a man of high abilities. He made the first will probated in America, and died in 1683. His son, Rev. Samuel Fuller, born 1623, was the first minister of Middleborough. He died in 1694. Rev. Samuel had a son, Dr Samuel, father of John, whose son, Issachar, was father of Isaac, the father of Captain Isaac, of Carver. Captain Isaac m. Sally Ames, and was an early settler of Hartford. They had these sons: Edward, Ezekiel, Ephraim, Eland, Elbridge, Essec, Elonzo, Emery L., Edwin E., and tbree danghters. The death of one of the daughters in 1888 was the first death among the children for 50 years. Essec and Eland have been business men of Brettun's Mills and North Turner for years.


820


HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.


Reuben E. Fuller. Edward Blake, and Stephen and John Gammon built a saw-mill in 1817 at the foot of Bear pond, and put up the first clapboard machine in town. The manufacture of wooden boxes was later entered into first by Asa K. Staples, and, in 1857, Charles M. Willard 1 engaged in the box business and carried it on until his death. His son, Charles F. Willard, continued it after his death. The mills are now operated by A. D. Parker. William B. Bray opened the first store in 1835. He built the store and dwelling on the site of the residence of John Keen, the early settler, and kept hotel for two years. William S. Young, son of Joshua B., built a part of the North Turner House for a hotel in 1837, and after some years sold to Samuel B. Holt, the tavern keeper for 20 years. After he died, in 1876, Elias Keene purchased the hotel. William B. Bray, Jr, was for years engaged in the successful manufacture of boots and shoes. Later, about 1876, Benjamin Keen and Peter C. Dresser began the business and carried it on five years, when the factory was burned. Lewis A. Farrar came from Buckfield and purchased the buildings built by William B. Bray of William Atwood about 1862. He has been in trade from that time and does an annual business of $10,000.


Washburn Chair Factory .- Benjamin Keen2 and Harry W. Brown, as Keen & Brown, began to make willow chairs at North Turner in 1884, occupying Essec Fuller's carriage shop. In February, 1886, the building was burned. It was at once rebuilt with four stories and capable of accommo- dating 75 hands, though only about 30 are usually employed. This factory is the only one in the state, and here was made the first willow chair made in Maine. In the spring of 1890 the business was purchased by the Washburn Chair Company, a stock company composed mainly of Lewiston capitalists. T. E. Eustis is president ; A. D. Barker, treasurer ; Mr Brown becoming super- intendent. The value of the plant is estimated at $15,000. The company has a retail store in Lewiston, and employs 25 hands in the factory, and gives work to many women at their homes. The company uses 25,000 or 30,000 feet of


1 Major Charles M. Willard, born in Keene, N. H., July 31, 1808, came to Maine, married Mary Russ, a native of Farmington, lived at Wilton and Farmington, and acquired a state reputation by the Willard pail. He engaged in lumbering and box making at Bloomfield, and was major of militia under Governor Fairfield. In 1857 he moved to North Turner and engaged in lumber and box making until his death, October 22, 1871. The business was then done in a primitive way with the old-fashioned up-and-down saws and but few men were employed. His son, Charles F. Willard, was born in Bloom- field, September 6, 1847, succeeded to his father's business at his death, extended and enlarged it, introducing improved machinery and circular saws, and in 1886 removed to Turner Village, where he now conducts a large establishment, employs from 15 to 30 hands, keeps numerous teams employed, and has quadrupled the production of his North Turner mill. Like his father he is a Universalist and a Republican.


2 He was the greatest benefactor of North Turner. Long ago he fitted up the grist-mill for Job House, the miller; later he bought the carding mill for his brother Elias. He started shoe manu- facturing with P. J. Dresser and W. B. Fisher, and was the starter of the packing industry. Through his capital and influence the chair factory was begun, and every industry here received generous aid. He was a strong Democrat. He died the present year.


821


TOWN OF TURNER.


rock maple lumber per year, and pays $2.50 per cord for rattan, and in the summer of 1890 paid $3,338 for labor and materials.


The little village has other industries, its lawyer and real estate agent (E. V. Stevens), a flourishing society of Knights of Pythias, Wilson Post, G. A. R. (see page 175), George Merrill's band, Keen's Hall, and a bright flow of social enjoyment.


The United Packers Company, organized in April, 1890, canned the first season, at its works in North Turner, 200,000 cans of corn, 18,000 gallon cans and 10,000 3-1b. cans of apples, 8,000 cans of pears, 4,000 cans of plums, 10,000 cans of pumpkin, and 10,000 cans of beans. The present proprietors, E. G. Spring and J. P. Jordan, operate as the United Packer's Company.


North Turner Cheese Factory (Richmond's Corner) was established in 1873 through the influence of Rackley D. Leavitt and Perkins C. Torrey. The production has increased from 30,000 to 85,000 lbs. per annum, and the annual business is $10,000. The cheese made here stands high in the market, has a quick sale, and commands a high price. The factory has proved a wise and judicious investment, which declares good and regular dividends, paying eight per cent. on the original capital. It is owned and operated by the North Turner Cheese Co. of sixteen stockholders. R. D. Leavitt1 has been president and treasurer for much of the time. The present officers are : John F. Quimby,2 president ; Charles Bonney, secretary ; R. D. Leavitt, treasurer.


KEEN'S MILLS. - Nathaniel Robertson settled at Keen's Mills, the first one to locate on the south side of the river, and in 1797 or 1798 built a saw-mill, later purchased by Cyrus French, who put in a circular saw, a planing machine, and other machinery. Grinfill H. Keen, son of John, the pioneer, and Prince Waterman, the first blacksmith, were early settlers. The first grist-mill was built probably by Benjamin Allen, on the north side of the river, soon after Robertson's mill was erected. (Benjamin Alden, of Greene, owned much land here and aided in the development.) Hanover Keen became owner about 1805. It was destroyed by water in 1814, rebuilt at once, and owned since by Nathaniel Keen, son of Hanover. Adna Gilmore erected an iron foundry about 1820. He was a skilled mechanic. About 1870 Albion K. P. Gilmore


1 Rackley Deane Leavitt, son of Arch and Polly (Deane) Leavitt, was born in Turner, November 7, 1842. He is a Democrat and a Universalist. By vocation he is a farmer, a large fruit grower, and a progressive and popular man in the community. He has served as selectman and on the school com- mittee of Turner. He is overseer of Turner Grange, P. of H .; trustee of Blake Lodge, I. O. O. F.


2 John Frank Quimby, son of Israel P., of Sandwich, and Betsey (Hall) Quimby, of Dover, N. H., was born in Dover, December 25, 1850. He has lived in Turner, on the farm which he now owns, 33 years. He is a Republican in politics, has been selectman six years, and deputy sheriff for several years. He belongs to Nezinscot Lodge, F. & A. M .; Turner Lodge, I. O. G. T .; Major Leavitt Lodge, K. of P .; Blake Lodge, I. O. O. F. He makes dairy farming a specialty, keeping about 20 cows, averaging $35 per cow in cheese. He has made 4,500 lbs. of cheese from April to October. Mr Quimby has about 500 acres of land and 1,000 apple trees, many of them young trees.


822


HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.


put up a new building on the site of the foundry, and operated saw and grist mills. In September, 1887, these and the saw-mill of Cyrus French were burned, rebuilt, and are now in operation. W. A. Andrews began the manu- facture of clothing, in 1883, at Keen's Mills, with three cutters, putting out the most of the work to be made. In 1884 he introduced steam-power and five sewing machines, employing six women, and putting out the hand work. In 1885 he put in three machines and employed nine hands. In 1886 he introduced 11 machines and employed 23 operatives in the shop. In 1887 he enlarged his building, added a store and hall, and for a year engaged in mer- chandising, when he sold his goods to Briggs & Young. Mr Andrews has since devoted himself wholly to manufacturing, now amounting to 16,000 pairs of pantaloons annually. Mr Andrews was born in Turner, in 1823, son of Liscomb and Rachel (Millett) Andrews. He began business for himself when 18, in the mill on Thirty-mile river, and has resided at Keen's Mills 49 years. He succeeded the first trader, the blind man, Alden, in merchandising. A. R. Gilmore sells flour and meal, Cyrus French produces and sells lumber, H. A. Bemis makes extension cases, and John Bemis is the village blacksmith. Briggs & Young and F. B. Wing (postmaster) are traders. Among the farmers of this section are H. W. Copeland and Leander Lane.


EAST TURNER is purely a farming district of prosperous farmers. Dana C. Beals and H. G. O. Mower (see page 515) are among the number. SOUTH TURNER has a canning factory, Cary & Leavitt's. Dyer's Corners and Howe's Corner are local centres of convenience. The last has a post-office. Geo. D. Humphrey, postmaster, keeps a general store.


CHASE'S MILLS. - Bani Teague had a saw-mill here before 1800, which was rebuilt before 1810 and a grist-mill added. Soon after the War of 1812, Southard Washburn became proprietor. Later Jairus Allen owned the saw- mill, William Lombard the grist-mill, and a clapboard machine was put in by a Mr Phelps about 1820. In 1835 Isaac Chase bought the saw-mill and a new dam was made lower down the stream. In 1837 Mr Lombard began to turn wooden mortars, bowls, and wagon hubs. After many years he was succeeded by Thomas G. Burdin, who did an extensive business in inaking hubs. In 1885 the factory was burned and rebuilt. Hubs and barrels are now made by T. G. Burdin & Co. C. C. Chase operates a saw-mill and shingle machine. Arthur Dow is in trade. Solon Chase is postmaster, and finds time to now and then write a breezy article to the Lewiston Journal and other papers. Here is what he wrote April 2, 1891, concerning the " doings " at Chase's Mills:


Right abreast of our house is the river. The rising water has " riz " the ice up in the middle like a whale's back. Across the river is a bluff, known as Teague's Ledge. The ledge is covered with woods except where the rocks are so thick the roots of the trees can't get a hold. On these bare rocks the icicles form in winter, and keep growing until they hang down 100 feet, as big as large pine trees standing on their heads. The first sign of spring is the breaking away of the glaciers on the brow of Teague's Ledge. The bluff faces to the south, right in the eye of the sun, and, as it begins to thaw,


823


TOWN OF TURNER.


the water works in behind the ice and draws up until it reaches a height of fifty feet. The pressure is so great that large masses of ice, sometimes with large stones frozen in, will come down the mountain side like a thunderbolt. It has been a hard winter to beat around in the crust and pick up scattering timber, but if the logs were yarded it has been a good winter for business, no bad drifts, and the main roads good from the first of December to the middle of March. Farmers have had a good time to harvest their log crop. The log crop is the maiu crop with many. Farmers can hardly afford to keep a team if they don't have a winter job. Some cut their own timber, others take contracts to hanl logs and lumber, and when there is nothing else to do they haul slabs to Lewiston. The wood market is not "healthy," and hauling slabs from Chase's Mills to Lewiston is like carting coals to Newcastle, but there is no wood famine here; everybody can have all the dry slabs they want for $1 a cord. So many have left the country and gone into the cities that our two cities are booming and there is a demand for lumber in Auburn and Lewiston. C. C. Chase has just delivered 40,000 feet of lumber to B. F. Briggs, who runs a horse farm on Turner street, 1} miles out from the Court House. T. G. Burdin is sawing out a large lot of stock for apple barrels. The maple sugar season is now well under way. There has been one splendid run. The steam that rises from the camp kettles looks at a little distance like the smoke of a tar kiln. The children and some of the older ones trip over the crust in the morning to the sugar camps to " sweeten up." The largest operators are Walter Mitchell, Arthur Chase, Jim Young, Herbert Russell, and Leon Snell. Walter Mitchell has tapped 1,000 trees, and Arthur Chase, 700. If you get any maple syrup from Chase's Mills it will be of this year's make and pure. Chase's Mills maple syrup is so well known, and there is such a demand for it, that none is kept over. The syrup that comes into the market very early is made from last year's crop and " doctored." The peculiar · characteristic of the Chase's Mills syrup is that it has and retains the maple flavor. The sap is rapidly " biled "-the sooner the better after it is gathered. The sap drops from a galvanized iron spile into a clean tin bucket. All the impurities are kept ont of it and the scum all skimmed off. The finished product is clear as crystal and ain't bad to take with hot cakes. The only trouble with the Chase's Mills syrup is there ain't enough of it. That is the only trouble with the silver dollars. There ain't enough of 'em. This year's crop of syrup is ordered ahead, and at a fancy price. People who buy Chase's Mills syrup don't always get it. Lots of it is brought up here from up back around the mountains in the region of Bergamot Pond, and sold in the Auburn and Lewiston markets for genuine Chase's Mills syrup. The syrup that is sent out of the state is put into one-gallon tin cans, and sealed up hot. The cans are packed in wooden cases. One shipment of 50 gallons has just been sent to Cali- fornia. Many of the cans never come back, and the price of the cans is charged in the bill. The cans are made in Boston, and this year the price is 30 per cent. higher. Arthur Chase says: " That is on account of that cussed Mckinley bill."


Merrill's Mills. - The privilege at the outlet of Pleasant pond was occupied in 1811 by Levi Merrill, his son, Levi, and Luther Merrill, who built a saw-mill, later used as a match factory, and, in 1870, by Bailey & Merrill as a spool factory, which, with a saw and shingle mill, is now in operation.


NORTH TURNER BRIDGE .- In 1825 a company was chartered to build this bridge, which organized in 1827 with Edward Blake, Walter Foss, and Nathaniel Perley, directors ; Dr Timothy Howe, agent; Thompson Hall, architect ; and a bridge, costing $5,000, was built in 1828. A small village sprung up. The stage route from Paris to Augusta later crossed the bridge, and there was much travel. Col Lee Strickland was postmaster and kept a store. In 1833 Church P. Leavitt purchased the business, was postmaster for nearly 25 years, and kept a hotel. He was a temperance man, and did much business. The bridge was carried away and rebuilt in 1839. The bridge has one long span 160 feet from the western abutment to the island, with a double track, and a short span from the island to the eastern abutment, with


824


HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.


a single track. The bridge has been well patronized. It has been quite a trading point. A. P. Burgess and Eugene Doyle are now in trade.


Turner Centre Bridge was built in 1834 and 1835 (the corporation voting "to furnish no liquor "), to accommodate the travel on the new mail route from Paris, Buckfield, Turner, and Monmouth to Augusta. The bridge gave good dividends, was carried off by the ice in January, 1839, rebuilt, and carried away again in 1863, rebuilt in 1868, wrecked by a cyclonic storm July 14, 1876, and never rebuilt.


CIVIL LIST. - 1787 - Ichabod Bonney, Benjamin True, Israel Haskell, selectmen; Benjamin True, clerk. 1788 - Benjamin True, Samuel Blake, Henry Jones, selectmen; Benjamin True, clerk. 1789- William Bradford, Samuel Blake, Henry Jones, selectmen; B. True, clerk. 1790 -Samuel Andrews, Nathan Niles, Benjamin True, selectmen; B. True, clerk. 1791-1792-1793 - Ichabod Bonney, Samuel Blake, Samuel Andrews, selectmen; Ichabod Bonney, clerk. 1794- Ichabod Bonney, Samuel Blake, Caleb House, selectmen; Ichabod Bonney, clerk. 1795-Ichabod Bonney, Samuel Blake, Beniah Niles, selectmen; Ichabod Bonney, clerk. 1796-1797-1798-1799-1800-1801 - Ichabod Bonney, John Turner, Chandler Bradford, selectmen; Ichabod Bonney, clerk. 1802-Ichabod Bonney, Benjamin Evans, Nathaniel Sawtelle, selectmen; Ichabod Bonney, clerk. 1803- Benjamin Evans, Ichabod Bonney, John Turner, selectmen; Benjamin Evans, clerk. 1804-1805-1806-Ichabod Bonney, John ' Turner, Chandler Bradford, selectmen; Joseph Bonney, clerk. 1807 - John Turner, Chandler Brad- ford, George French, selectmen; Joseph Bonney, clerk. 1808-1809 - John Turner, Joseph Bonney, Benjamin Chamberlain, selectmen; Joseph Bonney, clerk. 1810 - William Bradford, Daniel Cary, George French, selectmen; Joseph Bonney, clerk. 1811 -John Turner, George French, Jesse Brad- ford, selectmen; Joseph Bonney, clerk. 1812-George French, Jesse Bradford, Thomas Merrill, selectmen; Joseph Bonney, clerk. 1813- John Turner, Joseph Bonney, Jonathan Phillips, selectmen; Joseph Bonney, clerk. 1814-1815 - John Turner, Jesse Bradford, Jonathan Phillips, selectmen; Joseph Bonney, clerk. 1816- Joseph Bonney, George French, Aaron Soule, selectmen; Joseph Bonney, clerk. 1817 - Joseph Bonney, Jonathan Phillips, Alden Blossom, selectmen; JJoseph Bonney, clerk. 1818-Joseph Bonney, John Turner, Alden Blossom, selectmen; Joseph Bonney, clerk. 1819 - John Turner, Alden Blossom, Aaron Soule, selectmen; Joseph Bonney, clerk. 1820- Joseph Bonney, Asa Bradford, Philip Bradford, selectmen; Joseph Bonney, clerk. 1821 - Joseph Bonney, Asa Brad- ford, Aaron Soule, selectmen; Joseph Bonney, clerk. 1822-1823-1824- Thomas Merrill, John Blake, Philip Bradford, selectmen; Joseph Bonney, clerk. 1825- Philip Bradford, George French, Asa Bradford, selectmen; Joseph Bonney, clerk. 1826 - Philip Bradford, Asa Bradford, George French, selectmen; Joseph Bonney, clerk. 1827-1828 - Asa Bradford, George French, James Torrey, selectmen; Joseph Bonney, clerk. 1829-1830- Asa Bradford, Job Prince, Joseph Bonney, selectmen; Joseph Bonney, clerk. 1831 - Charles L. Turner, Aaron Soule, John Blake, selectinen; Hira Bradford, clerk. 1832- John Blake, Job Prince, Hira Bradford, selectmen; Hira Bradford, clerk. 1833-John Blake, Luther Bailey, William Bicknell, selectmen; Hira Bradford, clerk. 1834 -John Blake, Isaac Gross, William Bicknell, selectmen; Hira Bradford, clerk. 1835-1836- Isaac Gross, Seth Copeland, John Phillips, selectmen; Hira Bradford, clerk. 1837- Luther Bailey, William B. Bray, Alvin Leavitt, selectmen; Hira Bradford, clerk. 1838- Job Prince, Isaac Chase, John Phillips, selectmen; Hira Bradford, clerk. 1839-1840-1841- Job Prince, Seth Copeland, Elisha Gilmore, selectmen; Hira Brad- ford, clerk. 1842-1843-1844 - William B. Bray, Luther Bailey, George Turner, selectmen; Hira Bradford, clerk. 1845- Philip Bradford, Elisha Sampson, Sarson Chase, selectmen; Hira Bradford, clerk. 1846 - Elisha Sampson, Stephen Bray, Ajalon Dillingham, selectmen; Hira Bradford, clerk. 1847 - Luther Bailey, George Turner, Branch Leavitt, selectmen; Hira Bradford, clerk. 1848- George Turner, Justus Conant, Oren Whitman, selectmen; Hira Bradford, clerk. 1849-1850- George Turner, Arch Leavitt, Henry French, selectmen; Hira Bradford, clerk. 1851-1852-1853-1854 - George Turner, Arch Leavitt, Benjamin A. Bradford, selectmen; Hira Bradford, clerk. 1855 - Samuel B. Holt, Jesse Bradford, Andrew Bennett, selectmen; Wesley Thorp, clerk. 1856-1857 - Samuel B. Holt, Jesse Bradford, Phillips Bradford, selectmen; Wesley Thorp, clerk. 1858-George Turner, Samuel Jenkins, Deering Farrar, selectmen; Wesley Thorp, clerk. 1859-1860- Job Prince, Mellen French, Charles Torrey, selectmen; Wesley Thorp, clerk. 1861-1862 - Philo Clark, Sumner Bailey, Loren Alden, selectmen; Wesley Thorp, clerk. 1863-Charles E. Bradford, Stephen Richardson, Loren


·


825


TOWN OF TURNER.


Alden, selectmen; Wesley Thorp, clerk. 1864 - Charles E. Bradford, William Bray, Zebulon H. Bearce, selectmen; Wesley Thorp, clerk. 1865-Charles E. Bradford, Z. H. Bearce, James A. Cary, selectmen; Wesley Thorp, clerk. 1866 - George W. Turner, Lewis A. Farrar, Horace C. Haskell, selectmen; Wesley Thorp, clerk. 1867-1868-Lewis A. Farrar, Horace C. Haskell, Horace True, selectmen; Wesley Thorp, clerk. 1869 - Horace C. Haskell, Horace True, William L. Bonney, select- men; Wesley Thorp, clerk. 1870 - William L. Bonney, Isaac Jones, Jr, Rufus Prince, selectmen; Wesley Thorp, clerk. 1871 -- George W. Turner, Leander D. Farrar, Rufus Prince, selectmen; Wesley Thorp, clerk. 1872-1873- Rufus Prince, William L. Bonney, Lewis A. Farrar, selectmen; Wesley Thorp, clerk. 1874- William L. Bonney, Roscoe Torrey, Daniel French, selectmen; Wesley Thorp, clerk. 1875-1876- William L. Bonney, Aubrey Leavitt, Hira J. Pratt, selectmen; Wesley Thorp, clerk. 1877 - William L. Bonney, Henry Turner, Henry W. Copeland, selectmen; Wesley Thorp, clerk. 1878-1879- Horace C. Haskell, Henry W. Copeland, John E. Ashe, selectmen; Wesley Thorp, clerk (died October 7; C. B. Bailey elected). 1880- H. C. Haskell, H. W. Copeland, Levi B. Perry, selectmen; C. B. Bailey, clerk. 1881-1882- H. W. Copeland, R. D. Leavitt, Calvin Conant, selectmen ; C. B. Bailey, clerk. 1883-1884-1885-Rufus Prince, Aubrey Leavitt, J. F. Quimby, selectmen; C. B. Bailey, clerk. 1886-H. W. Copeland, H. C. Haskell, Aubrey Leavitt, selectmen; C. B. Bailey, clerk. 1887 - Aubrey Leavitt, H. W. Copeland, Abel H. Pratt, selectmen; C. B. Bailey, clerk, until Decem- ber 12, then C. II. Bradford. 1888- Aubrey Leavitt, J. F. Quimby, H. W. Copeland, selectmen; C. H. Bradford, clerk. 1889- Aubrey Leavitt, J. F. Quimby, A. C. Day, selectmen; Charles H. Bradford, clerk. 1890- Aubrey Leavitt, J. F. Quimby, D. S. Thomas, selectmen; C. H. Bradford, clerk. 1891 - Aubrey Leavitt, C. A. French, Shirley Merrill, selectmen; C. H. Bradford, clerk; W. B. Bradford, treasurer; A. F. Gilmore, supervisor; W. B. Beals, agent.


CHAPTER LI.


Ecclesiastical - Congregationalism - The Baptists - Universalism - Methodist Epis- copal Church - Meeting-Houses - Schools - Temperance - Physicians - Lawyers - Cen- tennial - Something about Some of the People.


C ONGREGATIONAL SOCIETY .- In the first years of the settlement Deacon Daniel Merrill conducted religious services regularly. The pro- prietors in 1779 offered to defray one-half the pay of a minister for three years and one-third for two more years, and in 1781 they requested the settlers to choose a committee " to agree and settle with the proprietors about it." In 1776 Rev. Charles Turner1 visited the plantation, preached and baptized. July 11, 1779, he made a second visit, received some into covenant relation,




Need help finding more records? Try our genealogical records directory which has more than 1 million sources to help you more easily locate the available records.