History of Androscoggin County, Maine, Part 102

Author: Merrill, Georgia Drew, ed
Publication date: 1891
Publisher: Boston, W.A. Fergusson & co.
Number of Pages: 1050


USA > Maine > Androscoggin County > History of Androscoggin County, Maine > Part 102


Note: The text from this book was generated using artificial intelligence so there may be some errors. The full pages can be found on Archive.org (link on the Part 1 page).


Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5 | Part 6 | Part 7 | Part 8 | Part 9 | Part 10 | Part 11 | Part 12 | Part 13 | Part 14 | Part 15 | Part 16 | Part 17 | Part 18 | Part 19 | Part 20 | Part 21 | Part 22 | Part 23 | Part 24 | Part 25 | Part 26 | Part 27 | Part 28 | Part 29 | Part 30 | Part 31 | Part 32 | Part 33 | Part 34 | Part 35 | Part 36 | Part 37 | Part 38 | Part 39 | Part 40 | Part 41 | Part 42 | Part 43 | Part 44 | Part 45 | Part 46 | Part 47 | Part 48 | Part 49 | Part 50 | Part 51 | Part 52 | Part 53 | Part 54 | Part 55 | Part 56 | Part 57 | Part 58 | Part 59 | Part 60 | Part 61 | Part 62 | Part 63 | Part 64 | Part 65 | Part 66 | Part 67 | Part 68 | Part 69 | Part 70 | Part 71 | Part 72 | Part 73 | Part 74 | Part 75 | Part 76 | Part 77 | Part 78 | Part 79 | Part 80 | Part 81 | Part 82 | Part 83 | Part 84 | Part 85 | Part 86 | Part 87 | Part 88 | Part 89 | Part 90 | Part 91 | Part 92 | Part 93 | Part 94 | Part 95 | Part 96 | Part 97 | Part 98 | Part 99 | Part 100 | Part 101 | Part 102 | Part 103 | Part 104 | Part 105 | Part 106 | Part 107 | Part 108


1 Rev. Charles Turner, born in Scituate, Mass., in 1732, was graduated at Harvard in 1752, and was a minister at Duxbury in 1755, and continued for 20 years. He was a Whig and much in state affairs. Mr Turner was one of the agents for the claimants, the first treasurer and collector of the proprietors. In 1791 he moved here, and preached part of the time for a number of years. He died in 1818. Chil- dren: Hon. Charles Turner of Scituate, Gen. John Turner, Mrs Eunice Torrey of Scituate, and Mrs Persis Thayer. Rev. Mr Turner was a faithful preacher of the gospel, and the influence of his culture and education left its impress upon his townsmen. Col William Turner, brother of Charles, was grad- nated from Harvard in 1767, and for some years was a highly successful teacher. He was proprietors' clerk for years, and was a valuable officer in the Revolution. In 1801 he removed with his family to Turner, where he died January 12, 1807, at the age of 61. Children: William, Betty, Xoa, Charles Lee, Stephen, Eunice, Fanny, Oriens, Nancy, Aphia, George. Henry Turner, son of Charles L. and Cascarilla (Child) Turner, died in Auburn, June 20, 1891. He had been county commissioner, and in many ways was identified with the interests of Turner.


826


HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.


and baptized a number. For five years after the plantation was favored with occasional visits of Rev. Mr Brown, of Westbrook, and the Rev. Mr Nash, of Gray. In 1784 Rev. John Strickland, a native of Hadley, Mass., and a grad- uate of Yale College, came, and a church was organized August 16, 1784, with 15 members. Mr Strickland received the call of the church and congregation to become their pastor, and was installed September 20, 1784. In 1790 a majority in town meeting voted for his dismission. Mr Strickland did not comply with this proposal. "In this state of things his salary was tardily voted, and more tardily collected, and on the 20th of November, 1792, there was found to be due Mr Strickland £108 6s. 8d." In 1794 Mr Strickland's adherents were few in number. Nevertheless, he consented to continue their minister, agreeing to relinquish such proportion of his salary as the taxable property of those who left bore to the whole town. After this, the number of Mr Strickland's friends diminished by deaths and removals, so that, in 1795, the advice of an ecclesiastical council was taken, and May 18, 1797, he was dismissed. For several years after public worship was not maintained, and complaint was made in 1802 to the Court of Sessions of the Peace, "for neglecting to provide themselves with a public teacher of piety, morality, and religion." Mr Strickland and Rev. Charles Turner were each employed for a time. After both had preached the time agreed upon, a call, with certain conditions, was voted by the town for Mr Turner to settle in the gospel ministry. The church voted not to concur, but to adhere to the election they had made of Mr Strickland.1 As the church had been six years destitute of a pastor, some, dissatisfied that the church did not concur with the town, denied that a church existed. Au ecclesiastical council assembled October 18, 1803, and gave its unanimous opinion that the church was not extinct. The church then voted to change to a Congregational church, and seven male members subscribed a confession of faith and covenant. In 1803 Mr Amasa Smith was employed by the inhabitants to supply them with preaching. Sub- sequently the church unanimously gave him a call to settle. The town concurred in the invitation, and Mr Smith was ordained May 23, 1804. The inhabitants of the town were not fully agreed in the settlement of Mr Smith, and the consequence was the establishment of a society of Universalists, which left the Congregational inhabitants free to organize as a distinct parish. The lands reserved for the use of the ministry and schools had been sold by order of the legislature. The school fund became productive in 1808, and the minis- terial fund in 1811. October 11, 1806, Mr Smith was dismissed. During the next four years the church had no pastor. In the spring of 1810 Rev. Allen Greely began to preach, and was ordained October 24, 1810. At this time the church contained only 21 members. "In 1816 God was pleased to impress


1 Rev. Mr Strickland died October 4, 1823, in the 56th year of his ministry.


827


TOWN OF TURNER.


seriously the minds of a number, and the church was enlarged to more than 60 members." Mr Greely continued pastor till May 29, 1844. Later Pastors : Rev. Henry Eddy, from 1844 to 1846; Rev. W. L. James, from 1846 to 1847 ; Rev. John Dodd, from 1847 to 1854; Rev. Samuel Bowker, from 1855 to 1860 ; Rev. S. C. Higgins, from 1860 to 1863; Rev. Stacy Fowler, from 1864 to 1866 ; Rev. B. F. Manwell, from 1866 to 1867; Rev. F. W. Dickinson, from 1868 to 1870 ; Rev. Alvin B. Jordan, from 1871 to 1872; Rev. F. E. Emrich, from 1872 to 1873; Rev. Uriah Small, from 1873 to 1875; Rev. Edwin S. Tingley, from 1876 to 1882; Rev. Richard H. McGown, from 1882 to 1885; Rev. Albert N. Jones,1 from 1886 to 1888. Rev. R. D. Osgood, the present pastor (1891), was settled over this church October, 1888. He was born at Bluehill, February 1, 1836, where he was educated at the common schools and academy. He enlisted September 6, 1861, in Manchester, N. H., in the Fourth N. H. Regt, and served four years in the army, two years in the signal corps. In 1866 he entered Bangor Theological Seminary. His ministerial labors have been in Topsfield, Kennebunkport, Limington, Fort Fairfield, Me., Lyndon and Rochester, Vt. He is chaplain of Wilson Post, G. A. R., active in its interest and in all organizations whose object is the uplifting of the human race. The parsonage is valued at $1,000. The Sunday school has 150 members; A. S. Ricker is superintendent. The society is prosperous. The inside of the church has been lately painted, new carpets laid, and a new organ purchased.


Baptists. - The first section of an act, passed November 17, 1792, for " incorporating a number of the Inhabitants of Turner, and the Plantation called Bucktown, in the County of Cumberland, into a distinct religions Society " is here given :


Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives, in General Court assembled, and by the authority of the same, That Simon Records, Joshua Keen, Edmund Irish, John Buek, William Selley, Benjamin Selley, William Lowell, Eleazer Chace, Joshua Davis, Thomas Irish, Stephen Lowell, Jonathan Record, Joseph Roberts, junior, John Thorlo, William Rich, William Berry, Lemuel Crocker, Andrew Eliott, John W. Elliott, Jonathan Philbrick, Joshua Wescot, William Dobb, Jeremiah Hodgdon. James Hodgdon, Thomas Lowell, John Swett, David Warren, Joseph Roberts, John Irish, junior, Enoch Hall, Nathaniel Smith, Jonathan Roberts, Jotham Shaw, James Jordan, Caleb Young, Amos Brown, Richard Taler, Joseph Chace, John Irish, Samuel Blake, Samuel Andrews, Asa Smith, Mark Andrews, Henry Jones, Benjamin Jones, Jaziel Smith, jun., Laban Smith, Daniel Child, Hezekiah Bryant, Levi Merrick, Richard Phillips, John Dillingham, Samuel Gorham, Jesse Bradford, Jaziel Smith, Daniel French, Daniel Merrill, John Brown, Ezekiel Bradford, Joseph Leavitt, Nathaniel Gilbert, members of the said religious Society, together with their estates, be, and they hereby are incorporated by the name of The Baptist Society of Turner and Buckstown, with all the privileges, powers and immunities, to which other parishes in the Commonwealth are by law entitled.


1 Rev. Albert Newton Jones, son of Hezekiah W. and Susan F. Jones, was born in Weld. He enlisted in the U. S. service August 26, 1862. July 31, 1864, he was disabled by sunstroke, and discharged May 17, 1865. He was graduated from Bangor Theological Seminary in 1871, and entered the Congregational ministry, but his health failing he retired in 1888. Politically he is a Republican.


828


HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.


For several years after the incorporation, there were but few additions to the society. In 1816 there was an extensive revival, and eight persons joined the Baptist church in Minot, and Elder Ricker, of Minot, was employed to preach one-sixth of the time in Turner. May 12, 1824, a Baptist church was organized, with 23 persons, residents of Turner. The services were held in Nathan Cole's barn ; Nathan Cole and Thomas Verrill were chosen deacons.


The first pastor was Rev. Adam Wilson, D.D., from 1824 to 1828. In 1829 Elder John Hull, from Nova Scotia, was engaged, but he died the same year. September 30, 19 churches in Oxford county met at Turner, and organized the Oxford Association. Elder Charles Miller, from Scotland, commenced preach- ing here in 1830, and continued till 1833. Elder William O. Grant came in 1833, remained one year. Elder Josiah Houghton came in 1835, and was with them until his death in 1838. Elder Eliab Coy came in 1838. Elder Curtis became pastor in 1839. In 1841 Rev. Adam Wilson, D.D., was again minister, continued until 1843. At this time the communicants numbered 133. Nathaniel Butler, D.D., became pastor in 1844, resigned in September, 1850. July 9, 1851, Rev. C. Ayer commenced his pastorate, resigned October 27, 1853. He was succeeded by Rev. L. D. Hill, from February 26, 1854, to January 9, 1858. His successor was Rev. H. B. Marshall, October 20, 1859. He closed his labors December 11, 1861. Rev. Abner Morrill was pastor from October 4, 1862, to July 25, 1864. He was succeeded by Rev. John Richardson, who remained until 1868. His successor was Rev. I. Record, who continued until September 10, 1876. Rev. A. A. Smith became pastor December 3, 1876, and resigned November 30, 1879. Rev. S. A. Severance was here from July 3, 1881, to May, 1883. Rev. C. T. Clarke began his ministry November 18, 1883, and closed February 1, 1887. Rev. N. G. French came November 1, 1887. Mr French was born in Norway, March 12, 1861, and is a son of Benjamin and Mary L. (Stevens) French, and grandson of Rev. Daniel Stevens, M.D., who practiced medicine and preached at China. Rev. Mr French studied at China Academy, Oak Grove Seminary, and graduated from Newton Theological Institute in 1883. The same year was ordained pastor of the Baptist church at Harpswell. He was State Missionary for Maine Baptist Convention, 1884 to 1887. The church has 118 members. The Sabbath school has 75 scholars, 7 teachers, and a library of 300 volumes; W. H. French is superintendent. The present church building was erected, in 1867, at a cost of $10,000. It is a two-story building, 43 x 66 feet, and will seat 300 persons. The pipe organ was made in 1848, being previously used in the old church. The bell, bought to replace the one taken from the old church, was purchased in 1887, weighs 1,000 pounds, and cost $280. The parsonage is valued at $1,000.


The Universalist Parish. - December 24, 1803, a petition to the house of representatives was drawn and signed by Jabez Merrill, Arthur Bradman, Samuel Pumpilly, Levi Merrill, Serial (or Seriab) Merrill, Hezekiah Bryant, Jr,


829


TOWN OF TURNER.


Hezekiah Bryant, Richard Phillips, Jesse Bradford, David Hood, Reuben Thorp, John Soul, Aaron Soul, Nathaniel Sawtell, Benjamin Sawtell, Joshua Whitman, Elisha Pratt, Ezekiel Bradford, Jr, Isaac Jones, Benjamin Jones, Jr, Bennet Pumpilly, Jabez Merrill, Jr, Abraham Maxim, Richard Phillips, Jr, Cushing Phillips, Robert Bradman, Benjamin Chamberlain, Cyrus Leavitt, Joseph Leavitt, Jr, William Bradford, Ephraim Turner, Asa Bradford, Joseph Bonney, Abiel O. Turner, James Leavitt, Chandler Bradford, Henry Jones, Jr, William Gorham, William Bradford, Jr, Samuel Kinsley, Samuel Kinsley, Jr, Ichabod Bonney, Jr, Daniel French, Jr, George French, Elijah Gilbert, Josiah Gilbert, Elijah Gilbert, Jr, Church Pratt, Joseph Merrill, Jabez T. Merrill, Caleb Gilbert, and Moses Allen, stating that they had formed themselves into a distinct religious parish by the name of "The First Universalist Gospel Parish in Turner," and asking to be incorporated by an act of General Court. Arthur Bradman was to be clerk of this society. May 14, 1804, an article in a warrant to see if the town would send an agent to object to the incorpora- tion was unanimously voted down, yet 40 citizens sent a petition to the General Court, dated May 28, setting forth their fears if the parish was incor- porated that it would become so large as to cause them "to Relinquish an Institution which they believe highly important and interesting to themselves, their Rising Families and Society at large," and remonstrating against the incorporation. The matter was, however, evidently freely discussed with good feeling, for November 5 a petition was sent by 26 leading citizens, not Uni- versalists, to the General Court, " humbly praying your Honors to concur with the Honorable Senate in granting the prayer of the Universalists' Petition." The act was passed February 16, 1805, incorporating 54 persons into a society, to which 30 were added in a year. By an act of the Maine Legislature, this original act of incorporation was rescinded, and the society made a territorial parish about 1830. On the formation of the society articles of agreement were drawn up and adopted, one of which pledged the members never to go to law with each other, but to refer all serious misunderstandings to arbitration, and they also covenanted that they never would take unlawful or more than six per cent. interest on money loaned. Rev. Thomas Barns, of Poland, frequently preached in town from 1800 to 1816. Rev. Isaac Root also preached during


these years. In 1806 Rev. Sebastian Streeter preached and awakened a deep interest. Previous to 1824, there was also preaching by Revs. William Frost, Jabez Woodman, William Farewell, Mr Smith, Mr Sargent, Benjamin Thorn, and others. About 1824, Rev. Sylvanus Cobb commenced a ministry of two or three years. Rev. William A. Drew supplied a part of the time. February, 1827, Rev. George Bates commenced his ministry, preaching every other Sabbath until January, 1830, when he was settled as the minister of the First Parish in Turner. Rev. William A. Drew, of Augusta, preached the installation sermon. Rev. Mr Bates continued to perform the duties of his


830


HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.


office until 1852. A church was organized October 12, 1849, of 29 members. Dr Howe says of Rev. George Bates: "Of his character and standing as a man it is improper for me to speak as he is yet living, and of his merits as a preacher it is quite unnecessary for me to speak, for few preachers in the state of any denomination are more widely or generally known than Rev. George Bates." He died in Auburn, January 24, 1876, aged 78 years. In March, 1853, Rev. W. R. French ' was engaged as pastor, and continued 17 years. In 1870, Rev. H. C. Munson became their pastor, and remained about seven years. In 1878 Rev. G. M. D. Barnes was engaged, and in August, 1879, Rev. W. R. French became pastor and continued four years. In the autumn of 1883 Rev. John Kimball was secured and was here until July 1, 1886, when he resigned. Rev. W. W. Smith was engaged in June, 1887, remained until 1890, and Rev. James Eastwood became pastor in October, 1890.


Methodist Episcopal Church. - Meetings were held in Turner several years ago by the resident Methodists. Occasionally a minister would give them a sermon, as he was passing that way. Prayer-meetings were held in private houses. No class was formed for some time. Rev. Leonard Green preached in the village school-house as he had opportunity. He was a very acceptable preacher. Rev. E. Martin preached for them from time to time. They seemed to catch his zeal and enthusiasm and began to think of doing something. January 9, 1879, a society was organized and went to work with the energy of the fathers. Rev. S. T. Record organized the M. E. Church here, May 8, 1879, and was the first pastor. He served the circuit composed of Turner and Buck- field three years. During his pastorate the church erected a meeting-house and finished the vestry, a very neat and pleasant place, which the church has occupied. Rev. N. C. Clifford served the circuit in 1882. He was an indefat- igable worker, and aided very essentially in finishing the church building. Rev. John Moulton was appointed pastor for North Auburn, Turner, and Buckfield, in 1883. He served faithfully three years, living at North Auburn. He did not do any work in Buckfield. May, 1886, Rev. J. L. Roberts came to the circuit of Turner and Buckfield, and served it one year. He left a mem- bership of 31 and four probationers. While he was here the church bought a parsonage, which he occupied, but it was sold the next year. Rev. M. K.


.


1 Rev. William Riley French, A.M., D.D., grandson of Daniel French, was born in Turner, June 8, 1814. In 1833 he became a student at Wesleyan Seminary at Kent's Hill; in 1836 he entered Water- ville College, now Colby University. He became a Universalist and from 1840 to 1853 he had pastorates in North Fryeburg, Lewiston Falls, and West Auburn. He settled in Turner in 1853, where he did good work for 17 years, and while here he received the degree of A.M. from Tufts College; from 1870 for five years he was pastor of the Union Parish, Unitarian and Universalist, Brunswick; in 1875 he returned to Turner, and August, 1879, commenced a pastorate of four years; in June, 1885, the degree of D.D. was conferred upon him by Tufts College; after a ministry of two and a half years at Bowdoinham, he retired to his home in Turner, where he has since resided, occupying himself with preaching, writing, and other work. He compiled a history of Turner, which was published in 1887.


831


TOWN OF TURNER.


Mabry 1 came in May, 1887, and served four years. He commenced with 25 members, and closed his third year with 48 members and six probationers. The present membership is composed of men and women of small means as regards property, but have great faith in God. The Sunday school is small, because there are few children connected with the church, but preaching is sustained every Sunday, and the Sunday school throughout the year. The Lord blesses the faithful few. Rev. A. B. Graffam succeeded Mr Mabry. The audience room having been fitted up, the church was dedicated September 29, 1891.


Meeting-houses. - In 1783 the proprietors contracted with Samuel Blake, Henry Jones, John Keen, Nathan Niles, William Bradford, Joseph Leavitt, Benjamin Jones, and Jabez Merrill, as agents for the settlers, to build a house " not less than 35 feet square, 20 feet posts, to board and clapboard the walls, board and shingle the roof, set 24 window-frames, glaze six windows and lay the lower floor." For this they were to pay £78 and the settlers were to be the owners. It was located on Upper street and was the only meeting-house until 1819, when the Congregationalists built one further west. This was burned in 1836 and rebuilt on the site of the town meeting-house. In a few years this was sold and the church bnilt at the village.


In 1825 the Universalists erected a large church on Lower street. This was taken down in 1848 and a new one built at the Centre. Of the chapel at Richmond's Corner, Dr Howe said in 1843: "It was built in 1841 by the


1 Rev. Madison K. Mabry [By Llewellyn A. Wadsworth, of Hiram.] was born in Hiram, Me., October 17, 1824, of parents eminent in moral, mental, and physical excellence. In his life on the farm he developed habits of industry and activity. He was educated in the schools of Hiram and at Westbrook Seminary. At the age of 17 he commenced teaching, which he followed 40 years in Hiram, Porter, Parsonsfield, Brownfield, Waterford, Bridgton, Denmark, Baldwin, Sebago, Saco. He was preceptor of Limerick Academy three years, from March, 1867, and principal of Parsonsfield Seminary two years. He served often as school committee and supervisor of schools in Hiram, and was super- visor of schools of York county three years. He was justice of the peace in Hiram seven years. He has taught 112 terms of school, including several terms of free high school, and won golden opinions for his sympathetic kindness, keen, clear powers of analysis, description, and illustration, and his name still lingers in the school-day memories of hundreds of his pupils. He was ever on the alert, with versatile powers, restless energy, ceaseless activity, and fearless independence of character; a ready and pleasing speaker, with an ample fund of wit, humor, anecdote, and general information, with fine conversational and controversial powers, he led the vanguard of temperance, freedom, morality, and education in Hiram for 30 years. In these particulars he has not been exceeded by any citizen in this century. He married, first, Dorcas True. They had three sons and four daughters, who attained maturity, and had excellent scholarship and musical talent, and the home circle was a model of intel- ligence, culture, and refinement. March 16, 1886, he married Ella T .. daughter of Francis Safford, of Turner (she is granddaughter of Benjamin Safford, who came from Minot and was the pioneer settler at North Turner Bridge. His children were Nathan, William, Francis, Eliza, and Polly. Mrs Mabry's mother was daughter of Zebulon Millett, of Leeds). In 1876 Mr Mabry experienced religion and joined the Methodist church. He received a local preacher's license in 1881, and has served in Mercer, Fairfield, Livermore, Turner, and Rumford with good results, enhanced by his genial nature, broad humanity, and catholicity of spirit. Mr Mabry has always been a radical in politics and in temper- ance. He enlisted June 17, 1862, and was commissioned a lieutenant in the 13th Me, but was discharged for disability the same year. He was very active in raising the quotas of his town and in sending supplies to siek and wounded soldiers. He is connected with several fraternal societies and has been grand chaplain of the Grand Lodge of I. O. G. T. of Maine.


832


HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.


Universalists alone, but they use it only one-half of the time, and the other half (like the gate of Heaven) 'it stands open night and day' to any sect of worshipers who may choose to enter in and enjoy it." A Union church was built in North Turner and dedicated in 1877 free from debt. It is free to all religions.


Schools. - The first school was a private one, taught by Arthur Bradman in 1788. In 1790 Joseph Stockbridge was employed to teach a public or town school. After him Elisha Sylvester and Benjamin Evans were successively employed for several years each as public school teachers. In 1792 £20 was voted by the town for a school. In 1793 £24 was raised to build a school- house on Lower street. In 1794 Benaiah Niles, Seth Staples, and Jabez Merrill were chosen school committeemen. Liberal support was given to education and the schools improved in number and character. Dr Howe says (1843): "The town has 18 school districts in which a public school is annually taught of from four to eight months' duration, according to the number of scholars and price paid for tuition. There is a regular grammar or high school taught for six months during each year, wholly supported by the interest arising from the town school fund. This school is alternately kept in different sections of the town, and furnishes great advantages not only to those youth who wish to pursue the higher branches of education, but in exciting a tone of feeling or emulation in the primary schools which is necessary to the full development of their purposes; as well as by furnishing annually a large number of teachers of both sexes to supply the demands of this and neighbor- ing towns." For some years free high schools have been kept in the spring and free grammar schools in the fall. Some time ago the town abolished the district system and a town committee supervises the educational interests and employs the teachers. The school-houses belong to the town. The best of results have followed this action.


Temperance .- Dr Howe writes thus of the temperance movement of 50 years ago: "The joyful tidings of the Washingtonian reformers reached Turner in the fall of 1841, and two new temperance societies were simul- taneously formed upon the new principles in different sections of the town. The ladies soon caught the inspiration of the times and formed two auxiliary Samaritan societies. The two sexes thus cutting together like the two blades of the scissors, have made a smooth work among us of the temperance reform." The good work thus begun has steadily increased in influence, and at present there are three lodges of Good Templars in active operation in the town.


Centennial Celebration. - July 7, 1886, a large number celebrated the cell- tennial of the incorporation of the town. The committee in charge was Hon. Rufus Prince, Major H. C. Haskell, Rackley D. Leavitt, Dr John T. Cushing, Elias Keene, and Henry Turner. The procession was a mile in length. Many representations of old-time life were shown, and large tents were erected to




Need help finding more records? Try our genealogical records directory which has more than 1 million sources to help you more easily locate the available records.