USA > Maine > Androscoggin County > History of Androscoggin County, Maine > Part 21
Note: The text from this book was generated using artificial intelligence so there may be some errors. The full pages can be found on Archive.org (link on the Part 1 page).
Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5 | Part 6 | Part 7 | Part 8 | Part 9 | Part 10 | Part 11 | Part 12 | Part 13 | Part 14 | Part 15 | Part 16 | Part 17 | Part 18 | Part 19 | Part 20 | Part 21 | Part 22 | Part 23 | Part 24 | Part 25 | Part 26 | Part 27 | Part 28 | Part 29 | Part 30 | Part 31 | Part 32 | Part 33 | Part 34 | Part 35 | Part 36 | Part 37 | Part 38 | Part 39 | Part 40 | Part 41 | Part 42 | Part 43 | Part 44 | Part 45 | Part 46 | Part 47 | Part 48 | Part 49 | Part 50 | Part 51 | Part 52 | Part 53 | Part 54 | Part 55 | Part 56 | Part 57 | Part 58 | Part 59 | Part 60 | Part 61 | Part 62 | Part 63 | Part 64 | Part 65 | Part 66 | Part 67 | Part 68 | Part 69 | Part 70 | Part 71 | Part 72 | Part 73 | Part 74 | Part 75 | Part 76 | Part 77 | Part 78 | Part 79 | Part 80 | Part 81 | Part 82 | Part 83 | Part 84 | Part 85 | Part 86 | Part 87 | Part 88 | Part 89 | Part 90 | Part 91 | Part 92 | Part 93 | Part 94 | Part 95 | Part 96 | Part 97 | Part 98 | Part 99 | Part 100 | Part 101 | Part 102 | Part 103 | Part 104 | Part 105 | Part 106 | Part 107 | Part 108
Kimball Post, No. 38, G. A. R., Livermore Falls, was organized May 9, 1881, with these charter members: Commander, Augustus D. Brown; S. V. C., David F. Blunt; J. V. C., Josiah Mitchell; Surgeon, Almado R. Smith ; Chaplain, George Tarr; O. D., John F. Lamb; O. G., James Ridley; Q. M., Adelbert Alden; Adjutant, Edgar M. Eustis; S. M., Rufus M. Dinsmore; Q. M. S., Granville Richmond, James Elliott, Lyman Harmon. The present membership (April, 1891,) is sixty-two, of whom these served in organizations out of the state: Charles R. Loring, U. S. N. ; Loring P. Gould, K, 3 Mass .; Jolin Girard, H, 2 R. I .; A. B. Holmes, 20 Mass .; J. F. Jefferds, 1 Mass. H. A. Of the charter members, Josiah Mitchell died April 18, 1889, and Edgar M. Eustis in December of the same year. The officers for 1891 are: Commander, A. D. Brown; S. V. C., A. Alden; J. V. C., Charles Burgess ; Surgeon, C. W. Brown ; Chaplain, J. L. Morse; Q. M., T. Stone; O. D., J. Ridley; O. G., C. N. Kincaid; Adjutant, George Tarr; S. M., C. R. Loring; Q. M. S., James Elliott. The past commanders are: A. D. Brown, C. R. Loring, John F. Lamb, Josiah Mitchell, J. F. Jefferds, C. W. Brown, George Tarr. The adju- tants have been : E. M. Eustis, C. R. Loring, A. B. Holmes, George Tarr. The post holds its meetings in G. A. R. Hall, on Depot street. It decorates graves in Livermore, East Livermore, Jay, and other places Kimball Relief Corps, No. 31, was organized in December, 1885, with thirty-four members. Mrs J. F. Lamb was president; Mrs May Allen, vice-president.
SONS OF VETERANS, U. S. A .- This patriotic order, founded in 1881, admits to membership the sons, not less than eighteen years of age, of deceased or honorably discharged soldiers, sailors, or marines, who served in the Union army or navy during the Civil War of 1861-65, and the sons of members of the order, not less than twenty-one years of age. No one is eligible who has
181
MILITARY AFFAIRS.
ever been convicted of an infamous crime, or who has, or whose father has, ever borne arms against the government of the United States. Its objects are " to keep green the memories of our fathers and their sacrifices to maintain the Union, and to promote their interests and welfare as opportunity may offer or necessity may demand; to aid and assist in caring for their helpless and disabled veterans ; to extend aid and protection to their widows and orphans ; to perpetuate the memory of their heroic dead, and the proper observance of Memorial Day ; to aid and assist worthy and needy members of our order; to inculcate patriotism and love of country, not only amongst our membership, but among all the people of our land, and to spread and sustain the doctrine of equal rights, universal liberty, and justice to all." The announced principles are a firm belief and trust in Almighty God, and a recognition of His beneficent guidance in the preservation of the life and integrity of the nation. True allegiance to the government of the United States of America, a respect for and fidelity to its constitution, laws, and opposition to any system or power that in any manner tends to impair the efficiency and permanency of our National Union.
In 1882 General I. S. Bangs, of Waterville, who had been commissioned to inaugurate the order in Maine, organized James A. Garfield Camp, No. 1, in Waterville. This was an experimental camp, composed of lads under fourteen years, and, after successfully exemplifying the workings of the ritual, it ceased to exist. The first camp in Maine organized under the constitution, rules, and regulations of the order was
Almon C. Pray Camp, No. 2 .- This was established by Provisional Colonel Frank P. Merrill, at Auburn, January 16, 1883, and fourteen charter members were mustered in. These were Frank P. Merrill, Fred H. Storah, Herbert A. Goss, John C. Blake, Leonard A. Pray, Melville E. Goss, A. A. Mower, Arthur C. Wyman, George D. Emerson, Henry Harvey, Samuel H. Dill, Wallace P. Dill, Robert E. Casey, Henry G. Casey.
The first officers were H. A. Goss, captain; A. C. Wyman, M. E. Goss, lieutenants ; John C. Blake, first sergeant ; S. H. Dill, quartermaster sergeant. The camp has now sixty-six members. The meetings are weekly, on Tuesday evenings, and have been held in the G. A. R. Hall from organization except in 1886-7-8, when they were held in Union and Glover's Band halls. The captains have been H. A. Goss, A. C. Wyman, S. H. Dill, G. D. Emerson, F. W. Davis, C. E. Merrill, C. L. Wright, D. M. Chamberlain, F. L. Beals, O. H. Bradbury. Those members entitled to vote in the Division Encampment are the past captains, F. L. Donnell, G. A. Field, F. P. Merrill (past commander- in-chief), John C. Blake (past colonel of division), W. A. Ripley (inspector of division). F. W. Davis has been division quartermaster, F. L. Beals member of division council, C. E. Merrill aid-de-camp on staff of commander-in-chief. F. L. Dearborn was delegate to the last National Encampment held in Auburn
182
HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.
in June, 1891. The officers installed in January were O. H. Bradbury, captain ; C. A. Campbell, first lieutenant; J. H. Folsom, second lieutenant ; George W. Wing, chaplain ; J. Sherman Douglass, first sergeant ; F. W. Haskell, quartermaster; H. C. Mitchell, color sergeant; E. H. Bickerton, sergeant of guard; Warren M. Spearin, camp guard; George E. Sleeper, picket-guard ; Charles E. Merrill, D. M. Chamberlain, Frank L. Beals, camp council. The first permanent division of Sons of Veterans, U. S. A. - Division of Maine-was organized at Auburn, April 10, 1883, in connection with Almon C. Pray Camp, and Frank P. Merrill elected colonel.
Custer Camp, S. of V., U. S. A., Lewiston, was instituted March 16, 1883, and had twenty-four charter members: G. W. Martin, Rance H. Babb, Pearl Babb, George E. Faunce, I. S. Blake, Fred Edgecomb, I. L. Quinby, Harry H. Miller, Fred Merryfield, George B. Estes, Henry R. Ham, II. Arthur Goodwin, Burton S. Stubbs, Charles F. Nealey, Charles F. Stanley, Willard Hayford, E. H. Jackson, H. L. Wright, Charles F. Hayford, Edwin E. Rowe, Fred W. Goodwin, Charles M. Penney, C. S. Jackson, A. Holland. The first commissioned officers were: Lyman H. Wright, captain; George E. Faunce, first lieutenant; H. H. Miller, second lieutenant ; Charles F. Hayford, chaplain; George W. Martin, surgeon. For the first years the camp had great prosperity. It has had ninety- one names on its roll of members, and has been especially active in charitable work. It has cordially and ably supported the Grand Army in its weighty duties, and has been numbered among the first-class camps in Maine. The captains have been Lyman H. Wright, Harry H. Miller, George A. Field, E. H. Jackson, George E. Faunce, Beaumont Stevens, Charles F. Hayford, Charles L. Witham, Willard Hayford, A. F. Nutting, Frank A. Lapham, Edward M. Small.
Kimball Camp, S. of V., No. 11, Livermore Falls, was organized February 23, 1888, with sixteen charter members: Charles L. Day, captain; Charles Elliott, G. A. Thompson, D. W. Mitchell, E. E. Kincaid, E. Y. Kincaid, C. N. Kincaid, H. S. Kincaid, George Tarr, George A. Parker, J. L. Goodwin, J. H. Royal, C. W. Brown, Jr, Charles A. Gould, Warren Hyde, W. B. Gould, Leon Blunt, Herbert Newman. The first officers were C. L. Day, captain ; C. N. Kincaid, J. (. Loring, lieutenants; S. C. Elliott, S. G .; C. W. Brown, first sergeant ; George Tarr, chaplain ; H. Newman, sergeant-major ; I. L. Goodwin, color sergeant; C. A. Gould, corporal of guard; W. B. Gould, inside guard; J. Il. Royal, outside guard. There were thirty-four members April 1, 1891, and these officers: C. N. Kincaid, captain ; J. C. Hatch, C. W. True, lieutenants ; E. Ridley, S. G .; W. B. Gould, first sergeant ; R. N. Holmes, quartermaster ; F. H. Farrington, color sergeant; E. Y. Kincaid, inside guard; E. E. Kincaid, outside guard ; C. L. Day, chaplain. Meetings are held in G. A. R. Hall.
A. J. Pelter Camp, No. 60, Mechanic Falls, was organized March 12, 1891, with D. S. Smith, captain ; A. A. Cobb and George Sawyer, lieutenants; O. C. Bridge, C. M. Cobb, H. C. Bucknam, camp counsel.
ur
HATHORN HALL, BATES COLLEGE.
183
BATES COLLEGE.
CHAPTER XI.
BATES COLLEGE.
BY REV. JAMES ALBERT HOWE, D.D.
Difficulties in Founding a College in New England. RAISON D'ETRE: Denominational Need -Co-education -Indigent Students - Local Support-General Public. THE BEGIN- NING OF THE COLLEGE: The Maine State Seminary -Organization of the College - An Honored Name-Other Details-The Terms of Admission -First Faculty -College and . Seminary Separated -The Latin School -COBB DIVINITY SCHOOL -Faculty -Courses of Study. Growth of the College-Storm and Stress - Relief-Benefactors and Benefac- tions-The Equipment of the College-The Gymnasium - The Libraries - The Cabinet - Instructors and Instruction. CHARACTERISTIC FEATURES: Co-education-Open Socie- ties - Needy Students Helped - Forensics - Prizes -Outside Leetures - Morals and Religion-Interest of the Faculty in Students-The Alumni - Alumni Associations.
B ATES COLLEGE is one of the youngest of New England colleges, and next to the youngest of the four Maine colleges. It was started in 1863, and chartered by the legislature of the state in January of the next year. Viewed in respect to the time and place of its beginning, it will be seen that its projectors undertook a work of no little difficulty.
DIFFICULTIES OF FOUNDING A COLLEGE IN NEW ENGLAND. - The terri- tory of the six Eastern states, compared with that of some single states in other parts of our country, is small. Within this small territory, in 1863 fourteen colleges existed: two in Maine, two in Vermont, one in New Hamp- shire, five in Massachusetts, one in Rhode Island, three in Connecticut. Into this somewhat exclusive set a new college comes as an intruder, encroaching upon vested rights. Hence it is challenged to answer how it can expect to stand on an equality with institutions of age and repute, or perform any service for society not already taken in charge.
However well endorsed, the young college enters more or less into compe- tition with the older colleges for patronage, and at a great disadvantage. Strong in the friendship of a numerous and illustrious alumni, led by a full, able, and liberally paid faculty, rich in libraries, cabinets, and other means of culture, with grounds and buildings, class-rooms, halls, and groves, hallowed by inspiring associations, endeared to church, and state, and the whole commonwealth of letters, these old colleges have resources of strength and abundance of attractions altogether wanting in nascent institutions, where everything is new, untried, and incomplete.
184
HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.
On the other hand there are considerations serving in a measure to coun- teract these powerful competitive influences. All the attractions of college halls do not stand to the credit of age, else new comers would be entirely shut out. The customs, traditions, methods, and spirit dominating an institution in the name of the past, may lack adaptation to the intellectual and moral interests of students of the present day. Besides, the flush and freedom and energy of youth may make liberal compensations in the class-room for the must of antiquity wanting there.
The disadvantage under which a new college begins may also, in a measure, be offset, if it is to be devoted to a special line of instruction, and if it is planted on a rich foundation. But let it propose to be of the same general character as that of other colleges; let it start in poverty, looking for support and equipment to funds to be gathered here and there by personal solicitation, and largely from persons of small means; let it aim to secure on meager salaries a full and able faculty, attempt to win the confidence of the public in an institution half equipped, and attract students to an alma mater without children, and the difficulties it would have to surmount would be precisely those confronting the founders of Bates College as they began their work. By their uncommon faith and courage, however, they at the outset gave hostages to the friends of education that, in spite of the magnitude of their undertaking, it should be carried to success.
They saw that certain educational wants in New England were not met by any existing college. They knew, as well, that in some special directions a need existed that only a new college could supply. Believing also in the leadings of Providence in the matter, they started the institution, and stood ready to give to every man a reason for calling it into existence.
RAISON D'ETRE. I. Denominational Need .- The primary object of the projectors of the college was to provide the Free Baptists of New England with an institution of their own for the higher education of their children. When the enterprise was started, this denomination, having in New England 500 churches, 30,000 church members, and thrice that number of church attendants, had no college east of Hillsdale, Michigan. Several small acad- emies and two large seminaries of a higher grade constituted their educational equipment. From these schools classes of young men were annually sent to colleges controlled by other denominations.
Among the Free Baptists no popular demand for the college existed, only a great need, and a great possibility. Its projectors expected to meet opposi- tion, but knew that if the college were once secured, the effect of denomina- tional ownership would be to awaken interest in it, to make the churches centers for advertising its advantages, and to set the ministers at work to find students and put them on the way to its halls; they knew, also, that many young people, who would otherwise never be reached by a call to enter on a
185
BATES COLLEGE.
thorough course of study, would now come under a special pressure to fit for college and begin the pursuit of learning. Within the denomination, therefore, it was plain that room and reason enough for the college could be found. But patronage from this source alone would be comparatively small. The college required a larger constituency ; and another large class remained needing if not asking for its aid.
II. Co-education .- Prior to 1863 no college in New England opened its doors to her sons and daughters alike, or opened them to her daughters at all. Against the principle of co-education old customs, traditions, inherited preju- dices were stoutly arrayed. If a college would come forward, accepting the hazard of the experiment, and admit young women to its classes on the saine terms as it did young men, it doubtless would in time find its intelligent and generous action appreciated, and have the honor of first ministering to this peculiar educational need. If Bates had no other sufficient reason for its existence, it certainly had one here, and one that came to be approved by the later spread of the principle of co-education.
III. Indigent Students. - Few of the old colleges managed their affairs in the interest of a class of students compelled by their own exertions to pay their way through the course. By the standards of the poor the scale of expenses was high in all New England colleges, and to many a youth disheart- ening. However willing to work, the sons and daughters of farmers and mechanics saw no reasonable prospect of earning enough money to cover the expense of four years' work in college, after meeting the expense of a prepara- tion for college.
College history shows that expenses tend to increase with the age and wealth of the institution. Funds are, therefore, provided, to a limited extent, for directly assisting poor students. But however delicately given, this form of charity chafes the spirit of the beneficiary. American youth prize their independence and demand the right to meet their companions as equals. When Bates was projected there was need of a college where, without loss of self- respect or social standing, poor young men and women could get on, pay their bills, and reach graduation the peers of any other student, if only peers in brains and scholarship.
IV. Local Support. - The location of Bates promised to secure it the attendance of a large number of students of both sexes from the homes of Lewiston and Auburn. Bates was to stand in the midst of more than thirty thousand people. To the young people of its neighborhood a college is an object-lesson on the value of an education. The sound of the college bell, the sight of the grounds and buildings animate with student life, the results of college training shown in public declamations, debates, and other rhetorical and literary exhibitions, together with the inspiring scenes of Class Day and Commencement Day, powerfully appeal to the youth living in the vicinity of a
186
HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.
college urging them not to be left behind by their equals in age in the pursuit of the best things of life. Bates saw a great opportunity to diffuse intelli- gence and culture in society at its doors.
V. The General Public .- In addition to serving the wants of the special classes named, the college saw a good chance to do no inconsiderable work for the cause of higher education, irrespective of any special class. By main- taining a decided moral and Christian character, and by securing a reputation for the quality of its instruction, the college might reasonably expect that parents would often prefer to intrust to it the training of their children.
In view of all these considerations, it was evident that New England had left a large place vacant in her educational work for Bates College to fill. Its originators could reasonably count on adequate patronage, increasing from year to year, if they went forward and called the college into existence.
THE BEGINNING OF THE COLLEGE .- The Maine State Seminary. - The college was developed from the Maine State Seminary and succeeded to its lands and buildings. Hence it is necessary to give some account of the latter institution. The seminary was chartered by the state in 1855, and was given $15,000 on condition that its friends would raise an equal sum. Before the seminary was begun, or its location fixed, many Maine towns, appreciating the advantages it would bring to the place securing it, made strenuous efforts to obtain it. China, South China, Hallowell, West Waterville, Unity, Vienna, Pittsfield, and Lewiston, competed in offers for it. The people of Lewiston agreed to raise $10,000 for the seminary and to provide it a site worth $5,000, and won the prize. Of the money from the state, $10,000 were to be set aside as a fund; the remainder could be used for any purpose needed. The conditions of the state grant having been met by the payment of the pledges made by the citizens of Lewiston, the seminary started on a capital of $30,000. This sum was soon increased by many private donations.
Two buildings were constructed on a well chosen site, Parker and Hathorn halls. The former is a brick dormitory, 147 x 44 feet, three stories high, divided into two distinct apartments, with dining halls in the basement. This building was named in honor of Hon. Thomas Parker, of Farmington, Me, the largest individual contributor towards its construction. The latter hall is a beautiful brick building, 86 x 50 feet, containing the chapel, recitation, and society rooms, cabinet, and library. It was so called to commemorate the liberality of Mr and Mrs Seth Hathorn, of Woolwich, Me, who gave $5,000 towards the erection of the building. Another dormitory like Parker Hall, and designed to balance it on the opposite side of Hathorn Hall, was included in the original plan, but was never built.
In September, 1857, the seminary began the work of instruction. One hundred and thirty-seven students were in attendance, eighty-three gentlemen and fifty-four ladies. The corps of instructors consisted of Rev. O. B. Cheney,
187
BATES COLLEGE.
A.M., principal ; Miss Rachel Symonds, preceptress ; George H. Ricker, A.M., John A. Lowell, A.M., Miss Jane W. Hoyt, and Miss Mary R. Cushman. Three courses of study were taught: a classical course, fitting students for college ; a ladies' course that, omitting Greek, went beyond the classical course in Latin, and included modern languages, mental and moral philosophy, and other advanced studies ; an English course, designed especially to meet the wants of students looking to a business life.
The seminary took high rank among institutions of its kind. That it placed scholarly ideals before its students appears from the fact that, until it was transformed into a college, it graduated on an average, each year, a class of twelve fitted to enter college. During these six years, also, forty-one young ladies took the full course of study in their department. It was very natural, therefore, that the thoughtful teachers of the seminary should begin to question the wisdom of Free Baptists in maintaining the seminary as a source of supply for colleges of other denominations.
THE ORIGINATOR OF THE COLLEGE. - As the seminary largely owed its rise to its principal, so even more did the college. In the autumn of 1854, while Mr Cheney was pastor of the Free Baptist Church, in Augusta, Me, Parsonsfield Seminary, at that time the only Free Baptist school in the state, was destroyed by fire. At once Mr Cheney conceived the idea of substituting for it a higher seminary, in a more central location. Taking others into his counsels, and ably seconded at every step and sometimes led by Rev. Ebenezer Knowlton, Mr Cheney brought to pass most of the measures, and largely secured the means by which the Maine State Seminary was founded, and carried to its good degree of prosperity. Meanwhile, other ideas grew upon him, and a larger plan took shape in his mind. He saw the opportunity, felt the necessity, and pressed the subject of using the seminary as the foundation of a college.
At the annual meeting of the trustees of the seminary, in 1862, sixteen of its young men presented a petition to the board for college instruction to be provided them in the institution. In anticipation of the inevitable change the right of the seminary thus to enlarge its scope and to confer degrees had been obtained from the state, on conditions, however, as yet unmet. Mr Cheney now requested the trustees to add to the seminary a college department. The trustees were not ready to adopt so bold a measure. To the petitioners they replied that they dared not assure them that their request would be granted, but advised them to consult with their teachers in respect to enlarging the course of study in the seminary.
The trustees hesitated, with good reason. They questioned their ability to secure funds sufficient to give a college any standing or worth. For the year just closed the regular income of the seminary was less than $6,000. The chapel in Hathorn Hall was not finished. The seminary had but two build-
188
HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.
ings. Its assets over liabilities, exclusive of land and buildings, were only $12,000. Free Baptist educational interests centered in New Hampton, N. H., divided the sympathies of the churches, and prevented a concentration of denominational effort at Lewiston. Already a tripartite agreement between the Theological School, New Hampton Institution, and Maine State Seminary aiming to become a college, had been proposed, and was under advisement.
Notwithstanding these objections, at the next annual meeting, in July, 1863, the trustees unanimously voted " That the seminary be hereafter known and called by the name of Bates College," and that application be made to the next legislature for a college charter under that name.
This vote meant that, during the year, friends of education in and out of the denomination had been approached upon this subject and that there appeared to be a reasonable prospect of success in the attempt to found a college. Prior to the annual meeting of the board two special meetings had been held, -one in February, at Augusta, to take action on certain generous proposals received from wealthy gentlemen of Boston who were interested in the business enterprises of Lewiston. Encouraged by this unexpected and liberal promise of help in an attempt to enlarge the institution, the trustees resolved to go forward in that direction. At a second special meeting of the board, in May, at Lewiston, it was voted to commence a college course in the fall and to put an agent in the field to solicit funds for the great undertaking.
These offers of aid came to the trustees through the activity of Mr Cheney. He was the head and front of this enterprise, and was the secret, when not manifest, force back of almost every movement in its favor ; and it was chiefly due to his faith and determination, courage and persistency, that the desired result was reached. He believed in Lewiston as a favorable place for such an institution, and was convinced that if it were managed in the interests of poor students and of students of both sexes, patronage would flow to it. He knew, also, that his denomination would gladly second an attempt to plant a college of its own, if men of wealth were found ready to aid it by their benefactions.
Need help finding more records? Try our genealogical records directory which has more than 1 million sources to help you more easily locate the available records.