USA > Maine > Androscoggin County > History of Androscoggin County, Maine > Part 71
Note: The text from this book was generated using artificial intelligence so there may be some errors. The full pages can be found on Archive.org (link on the Part 1 page).
Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5 | Part 6 | Part 7 | Part 8 | Part 9 | Part 10 | Part 11 | Part 12 | Part 13 | Part 14 | Part 15 | Part 16 | Part 17 | Part 18 | Part 19 | Part 20 | Part 21 | Part 22 | Part 23 | Part 24 | Part 25 | Part 26 | Part 27 | Part 28 | Part 29 | Part 30 | Part 31 | Part 32 | Part 33 | Part 34 | Part 35 | Part 36 | Part 37 | Part 38 | Part 39 | Part 40 | Part 41 | Part 42 | Part 43 | Part 44 | Part 45 | Part 46 | Part 47 | Part 48 | Part 49 | Part 50 | Part 51 | Part 52 | Part 53 | Part 54 | Part 55 | Part 56 | Part 57 | Part 58 | Part 59 | Part 60 | Part 61 | Part 62 | Part 63 | Part 64 | Part 65 | Part 66 | Part 67 | Part 68 | Part 69 | Part 70 | Part 71 | Part 72 | Part 73 | Part 74 | Part 75 | Part 76 | Part 77 | Part 78 | Part 79 | Part 80 | Part 81 | Part 82 | Part 83 | Part 84 | Part 85 | Part 86 | Part 87 | Part 88 | Part 89 | Part 90 | Part 91 | Part 92 | Part 93 | Part 94 | Part 95 | Part 96 | Part 97 | Part 98 | Part 99 | Part 100 | Part 101 | Part 102 | Part 103 | Part 104 | Part 105 | Part 106 | Part 107 | Part 108
A
1
581
TOWN OF LEEDS.
Millett, was a soldier in the Revolution, was taken prisoner and detained several years in the West Indies. He came to Leeds in 1782, and was one of the earliest settlers in Little's Gore, where he resided until his death. He cleared and lived on the place now occupied by his great-grandsons, Charles and Herbert. His children were Eunice, who married Rev. Thomas D. Francis, Thomas, Zebulon P., John, Benjamin, and Betsey. They all settled in Leeds ; Benjamin remained on the home farm.
Zebulon P. Millett was born in Gloucester, Mass., October 19, 1774. He married Deliverance Rich, a native of Sandwich, Mass. He, with his brothers, Thomas and John, settled in Leeds, on a lot of 200 acres, and became farmers. Zebulon was in the War of 1812. His wife died in August, 1854, aged 75 years. He died October 1, 1856. He was a Federalist and Whig in his politics, and both he and his wife were members of the First Baptist church, and brought up their children "in the fear and admonition of the Lord." Their children attaining maturity were Solomon, who lived in the north part of the town, later removed to East Bridgewater, Mass., where he died at the age of 84; Parsons; Thomas; Lydia; Obediah; Isabel; Aaron; Francis D .; Asa, who became a physician, located in Massachusetts, and is now residing in East Bridgewater. His son, Frank D. Millet, named from his uncle, has acquired more than national fame as an artist; Polly; Lydia; Adelia (Mrs Nathan Timberlake) resides in Livermore.
Francis D. Millett was born in Leeds, October 1, 1811, and has been a life- long resident on the farm taken up by his father over a century ago. He was educated at the common schools, and also in the broader and higher schools of labor and experience. He succeeded to the homestead and has devoted himself to its cultivation and improvement. A few years since he erected a convenient and comfortable house nearly opposite the home of his childhood; this house is said to be the best built dwelling in the town. Mr Millett married first, December, 1835, Elethea, daughter of Benjamin True. She died in June, 1841. He married second, in 1852, Lucina, daughter of Otis Phillips, of Auburn. Their daughter, Ella T., married Lot Howard, and has one son, Francis Davis Millett Howard. Mr Millett has always been a farmer, but a farmer's life does not necessarily exclude time for thought and reading, and now at the age of fourscore years he is hale, robust, and his mind is clear and his memory remarkably retentive. He has been a member of the Freewill Baptist church for 27 years, deacon for more than a quarter of a century, and has contributed liberally to various educational interests and to the churches of the town. He is a Republican, and has served as selectman. He has borne his part in pro- moting morality, religion, and education, and to advance the sway of law and the prevalence of order. He is unassuming, genial, and kind in his manners, and has the esteem and respect of his fellow-townsmen.
582
HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.
THE ADDITON FAMILY.
From Plymouth, Duxbury, and other towns of the Old Colony of Massa- chusetts the descendants of the early Pilgrims have gone in various directions, carrying with them that unflinching adherence to duty, that regard for law and order, and that faithful attention to imposed trusts which were so strong elements in the Pilgrim character, and where they settled they and their descendants have been most useful citizens and formative influences in pro- ducing our best civilization. Among the early families of Duxbury, Mass., was that of Arddaton (now Additon), which probably came from England prior to 1640. All through the residence in Duxbury the original spelling of the name continued, as Thomas of the Revolution (father of the Thomas born March 2, 1763, who became an early settler of Leeds) used this orthography. Thomas Additon, the pioneer of the Leeds family, with his wife Bethiah, born March 17, 1764, made their home on Quaker Ridge between 1785 and 1790, and on this place, long since forsaken, they reared 9 children: Ruby (named from a Duxbury aunt), born in 1786; John, 1788; Otis, 1790; Joseph, 1792; Thomas, 1794; Phebe, 1796; David, 1799; Chloe, 1802; Huldah, 1804.
Thomas Additon, Jr, born June 7, 1794, married Anna, daughter of Isaiah Beals. Their children were Isaiah B .; Lovisa (Mrs Dr S. A. Allen); Amanda (Mrs Seth Howard); Thomas J .; Loren J .; Everett; Eliza A. (Mrs J. F. Jennings). Mr Additon was a farmer, a quiet, unostentatious man of strict probity, valued for his good qualities. He died February 4, 1869, and his wife April 30, 1871, on the place now owned by Thomas J. Additon.
Isaiah Beals Additon, son of Thomas and Anna (Beals) Additon, was born November 10, 1823. He was educated in town, taught 26 terms of district school, and won a deserved reputation. He is a farmer on the place settled by his grandfather Beals, purchased by his father in 1827. He owns 125 acres of land, and makes a specialty of cheese-making. He married, May 5, 1852, Eliza A., daughter of Perez S. and Joanna (Lane) Jennings. Children : Flora L. (died February 25, 1862, aged 9 years) ; Juliette J. (died February 15, 1862, aged 7 years; Orville I .; Lorette (died March 10, 1862, aged 7 months); and Fred L. Orville I., born August 31, 1853, graduated at Westbrook Seminary, in 1880 went to Illinois, and is principal of the high school at Cordova. He m. Lucy A. Benner. Children: Forrest O. and Hen- rietta S. Fred L., born January 28, 1864, m. Lenora I., daughter of Francis E. and Eleanor (Pettengill) Howe. Children: Orville I. and Ernest F. He conducts the home farm with his father; is a Democrat and a Universalist.
Isaiah B. Additon has always been a Democrat, of the minority party in politics, and yet he has been selectman 18 years, and in 1859, 1860, 1870, 1871, 1872, 1873, 1874, 1875, 1876, 1877, 1878, 1879, 1880, 1881, 1882, and 1883 was chairman of the board. He has an extended acquaintance in the county and
Sarah B. Addition)
583
TOWN OF LEEDS.
has been the nominee of his party for representative, in one campaign coming close to an election in a strong Republican district. He has been several times candidate for county commissioner, receiving flattering votes. He was U. S. census agent for Greene and Leeds in 1860, has often been selected for important trusts, and has performed delicate offices with acknowledged ability. He is firm and decided in his opinions, cautious and conservative in thought, tenacious in his convictions, and frank, sincere, and honest in declaring them. He has always been a Universalist and a liberal supporter of the cause. Genial, hospitable, and kind-hearted, he has many friends, among his warmest ones those of opposing politics. Mr Additon has been a most useful citizen. A firm and conscientious official, he has always opposed anything like extrava- gance in the administration of town affairs, and by a long and faithful service has acquired the esteem and confidence of his townsmen.
Thomas Jefferson Additon, brother of Isaiah B., was born August 20, 1832. He has always been a farmer and occupies the homestead of his father, con- sisting now of 85 acres of well-tilled land. He married Rozilla Smart, born in Parkman. Their children are Luetta M. (Mrs W. H. Thomas), Chester J., Elwin E., Anna S. (Mrs Truman M. Shaw). Elwin E. Additon, great-great- grandson of Thomas, of Duxbury, and great-grandson of Thomas, the pioneer of Leeds, was born August 24, 1864, on the farm where his grandfather lived and died. At the age of 17 he commenced teaching winter schools, and when 22 he was elected a member of the superintending school committee, and the next year supervisor of schools, which office he held two years. He is a Patron of Husbandry, and, with his father, cultivates their fine farm, and devotes special attention to dairying. He married Mary A. Thomas.
The Additons have been for several generations successful "tillers of the soil," and good representatives of New England's intelligent farmers.
584
HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.
EAST LIVERMORE. BY CYRUS KNAPP, EsQ.
CHAPTER XXXIII.
Incorporation - Topography - Livermore Falls-Early Mills -Freshet -Early Busi- ness Places and Residences - Advent of the Railroad-Hotels and Stores -Dr Millett and Lawyer Knapp - Toll Bridge - Railroad Extension - Mills and Manufacturing - Churches-I. O. G. T .- Camp-Ground - Physicians - Lawyers - Civil List - Personal Sketches.
A LL that part of the town of Livermore in the county of Oxford on the east side of the Androscoggin river" was set off March 20, 1843, and incorporated into the town of East Livermore and classed in the county of Kennebec. The set-off was made on account of the inconvenience of holding town meetings and doing town business across an unbridged river at all seasons of the year. As town meetings were held on the west side of the river at Livermore Center, many a time in March the annual meeting could not be properly attended from the eastern side by reason of floating ice, and the inhabitants of the western portion would have everything their own way. The eastern part of the town bitterly and for a long time complained of this inconvenience, and asked for a bridge, but as they could never obtain a vote for this, they went to the legislature, and at length succeeded in a division of the town, leaving the bridge question to future developments. By a resolve of the legislature of 1844, chapter 284, the number of polls set to the valua- tion of East Livermore was 135, and the estates were valued at $129,454.
The length of the town is about nine miles, and the average breadth about three miles. It is bounded on the north by Jay, on the east by Fayette, on the south by Wayne and Leeds, and on the west by Livermore. In the extreme northeast corner is Moose hill, so named because Deacon Elijah Livermore shot a moose near the top more than 100 years ago. Moose hill rises from 400 to 500 feet above the plains. From its summit a very fine view is had. Mt Blue, Mt Abram, Mt Saddleback, and many other mountains are seen in the north, while in the west the Oxford Hills and the White Mountains loom up, and in the south (through a glass) the ocean can be viewed. No less than 16 ponds are in sight, and many villages. There has been talk of erecting a summer hotel on this summit. East of its highest point is a large mineral spring ; at its southern base lies Moose hill pond, as pure a body of water as could be desired, fed by springs, and having a small outlet, called Redwater brook, the best trout stream for miles around. Three counties,
585
TOWN OF EAST LIVERMORE.
Kennebec, Franklin, and Androscoggin, and four towns, Fayette, Chesterville, Jay, and East Livermore, corner near the highest elevation of Moose hill. Near the center of the town is Jug hill. This name was given by an early trader at Fayette Corner, because the inhabitants living about its base usually every Saturday night brought their jugs to him to be filled with rum. East of the center of the town (partly in Fayette) is the Methodist camp-ground, where, from its easy accessibility by road and rail, many assemblies, other than those for religious worship, are wont to meet, such as G. A. R., temperance, political, and Sabbath school organizations. The place, besides the buildings and cottages on the camp ground, has two stores, a post-office, and a saw-mill on a stream running southwestward from the ponds to the river. There was considerable activity at Strickland's Ferry, near the depot, when the railroad first came, but a fire not long since left only one store and one dwelling. This place is the southern limit of the town; the line is but a short distance from the depot. From here northwest to Hillman's Ferry was called Tolla- Walla in former times before the division of the towns. "It was the Indian name of the Hunton Rips," says a writer, "and means nothing worse or more disrepu- table than the honorable name-Livermore."
Haines's Corner, east of Hillman's Ferry and near the center of the town, was "a merry place in days of yore." Here were stores (and shops as well), a union meeting-house, where town meetings were held for some time after the incorporation of the town ; but the stores and shops, as also the meeting-house, have gone, leaving but a few dwellings, a school-house, and a church-yard to indicate what it has been. North of here, with a few exceptions, are the best farming lands, as much of the southern part of the town is flat and sandy.
Shy Corner, about one mile from the Falls, where was formerly Barton's Ferry, was once a place of considerable business. There were two stores, a saw-mill, rake factory, blacksmith shop, carpenter shop, and some other buildings, all of which have disappeared, except half-a-dozen dwelling-houses. East of here, just beyond the Sears house, was formerly a Baptist meeting- house, but in 1854 it was taken down and moved to the Falls. The place now begins to assume considerable activity since the County Agricultural Society in 1889 located its grounds here, where it has one of the best trotting-parks in the state. On the island in the river at this place, in former times, some of the Kennebec Indians would lodge at certain times of the year, for hunting and fishing at the mouth of Redwater brook, and when the Roccomeka tribe from Canton Point came down they would run, and the Roccomekas called them the "Shy Indians." Hence the name.
LIVERMORE FALLS. - About one mile north of Shy is the village of Liver- more Falls, sheltered on the north, east, and west by prominent hills. The Indian name was Roccomeka Falls. About 1791 mills were erected by Deacon Elijah Livermore, but there could not have been much of a settlement
586
HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.
immediately following their erection, for forests were in close proximity in 1803, as two men - Eliphalet Rowell, grandfather of Major Rowell of Hallowell, and Jonas Walton - were killed that year while at a "falling-bee," a few rods below the depot, on the O. Lyford place, and in 1813 there were only three dwelling-houses-those of Samuel Richardson, Thomas Davis, and Joseph Morrill. Nothing of note occurred for 35 years, during which a small village was developed.
March, 1846, there was a freak of the river never known before or since. The water backed up over the falls, then swirled to the eastern shore and swept off nearly everything in its way. The grist-and-saw-mill of Capt. E. Treat, stores of C. Pettingill, A. Kimball, and C. Wadsworth, the carding mill of William Haskell, scythe factory of J. V. Walton, and the dwelling-house of Benjamin Paine were swept from their foundations, and some of them (almost bodily) carried a quarter of a mile and lodged against the elms that skirt the brook below the O. Lyford place. E. Pettingill's store and the Moody house, though somewhat damaged, were the only buildings left in the wake of this unnatural current. A sudden freshet breaking up the river above had brought down a huge volume of water, with ice, logs, broken bridges, and other imped- imenta, and when this huge drift went over the falls the unbroken ice below held it in check, but at length, giving away with a loud report, the water sought its natural channel, leaving the ice and drift piled promiscuously on the road and flats half way or more from the foot of Mill hill to Barton's Ferry. It took a great deal of labor to make the river road passable, as the ice and drift in places were piled 40 feet high. Some of the ice did not disappear until the middle of the next July. As soon after this as Captain Treat could con- struct a saw-mill and prepare the lumber he rebuilt the grist-mill, and either the following summer or the next, all the buildings reappeared except the scythe factory and Paine's house. Mr Paine did not dare rebuild on the old spot, as he and his family barely escaped in the flood. He had retired the night before apprehending no danger, but when he arose in the morning the water was so high that his family made their escape by clinging to a fence until one of his neighbors arrived with a boat. He rebuilt his house and shop up the hill next to the Baptist church.
At this time (1846) the business part of the place was below Mill hill, and comprised four stores, a grist and saw mill, a carding mill, a scythe factory, and two or three shops. On the west side of Main street, north from the mills, the first structure was the Macomber house, where Ham's store is now. The house has been moved back and is the residence of Mrs John W. Eaton. The next house was the Pray house near the railroad, now occupied by R. C. Boothby. There was a small house where J. Pettingill lives. The next was the hotel kept by William French, where the Basfords live. Further north the barn and corn-house of S. Richardson completed the buildings on that side
587
TOWN OF EAST LIVERMORE.
of the street. On the east side of the street, after passing the Richardson house south, was the Captain Cutler house (moved across the road in the fall of 1890 by G. R. Currier). Up Church street, on top of the hill, was the house and shoe shop of C. Wadsworth, and a little beyond, a school-house. On the other side of Church street was the house of O. Pettingill, where now stands the Baptist parsonage. On the corner of Main and Union streets was the D. S. Walton house, now owned by C. Pettingill, and in a lane (now Union street) stood as now the house of S. B. Walton. Next on Main street, below Pettingill's, was the A. Kimball house, where Cyrus Knapp now resides. The next south was the John Walker house, the southern part of the Bean hotel. Below this on the Treat corner there had been a hotel, but it was burned prior to this and the lot was vacant. On the north side of the lane (now part of Depot street) was the dwelling of L. Chandler, moved back in the fall of 1890 to make way for the Odd Fellows Block. The next building was the Walker house, where Mrs Robinson now resides. The next was the Dr Hale house. Next was the house and cooper shop of John Hunt at the extreme end of the lane and close to the gully. On the south side of this lane Walker had a shop. From there to Main street was cultivated land. Down the hill on the east side of Main street first was the Waterman house, long since torn down. The next was the Cooper house, now standing. One more below this, the Mayo house, still standing ; and we have all there was of Livermore Falls in March, 1846, when the river, as Captain Treat used to say, "run up the Mill hill " and washed away its business portion.
The place remained in this condition (excepting the erection of Treat's house on the corner of Depot street and the Paine house aforementioned) until awakened by the scream of the steam whistle in 1852, at the completion of the Androscoggin Railroad from Leeds Junction. The pioneers of this road here were Captain Treat, E. Pettingill, and John Smith. At first it was in doubt whether it should come further than Shy so as to go up the Chesterville valley when extended, but Captain Treat said it must come here; he took the last section to build himself, and it came. From this time the place was very active. George D. Lothrop purchased the Walker house and enlarged it for a hotel. The French hotel had been owned and run by O. Luce, but as Mr Luce became freight master it was rented to R. Graffam. The influx of population as soon as buildings could be erected for its accommodation, was considerable. The stores of C. Pettingill, A. Kimball, and others were moved up the hill to the west side of Main street. W. Hunton, from Wayne, an active business man and formerly a county commissioner of Kennebec county, erected a store on Depot street and went into trade. S. Read, from North Livermore, moved over and opened a store next to Hunton. Dr A. R. Millett from Minot, and C. Knapp from Monmouth, young, unmarried men right from school, followed the railroad and opened offices. They boarded at Lothrop's hotel, and soon
588
HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.
became fast friends. The Doctor was a Democrat, "dyed in the wool," while Knapp, a Whig as long as the party lasted, became a Republican upon its dissolution. They soon became leaders in their respective parties, and many a set-to they had upon the political issues preceding the late war. Their last joint discussion was in the Fremont campaign in 1856. It was arranged by their political friends, Rev. O. H. Johnson and Col Merritt acting for Dr Millet, and Rev. Mr Pendleton and Rev. Mr Garland for Knapp, Knapp to speak first for one hour, the Doctor to answer in one and a half hours, and Knapp to close in half an hour. At the time appointed the hall was full to overflowing and a vast crowd filled the door-yard and blocked the entrance. Knapp spoke his hour, Millett his hour and a half, and Knapp had got about half through with his reply when Dr Hale was taken with a fit and had to be removed through the window. Knapp said, after quiet was restored, that "he knew he was giving Millett fits, but didn't suppose he was giving any one in the audience fits." This remark brought down the house, and he proceeded to close without further interruption. The friendship between these men was never broken. Dr Millett married a daughter of Captain Treat and Mr Knapp a daughter of O. Luce, the hotel keeper. They lived near neighbors, and sometimes when the Doctor was sick, the other has been known to mount his gig and carry medicine and prescriptions to his patients. Dr Millett died in 1889, honored and respected.
In 1858 a toll-bridge was erected across the river above the falls near the location of the present bridge, but in March, 1871, it was carried away by an ice freshet. In 1872, by the enterprise and capital of Caleb Smith, of Liver- more, the present bridge was built and having been run as a toll-bridge till 1887, it was made free by the action of the county, the two towns, and individual contributors.
In 1857 the railroad was extended to North Jay, and the place for a while seemed to stand still. In 1862 it was somewhat revived upon the erection of a milk-condensing-and-cheese-factory by the Roccomeka Company. This busi- ness flourished during the war, but upon its close the company ceased operations, and in 1877 sold the factory and water-power to Alvin Record, (a son of Thomas and Harriet Record, of Greene,) who converted the factory into a leather-board mill, as which it is still used. Mr Record is a remarkable man. The first dollar he ever earned was in picking beechnuts on Moose hill. He worked at his trade of a carpenter until about 1861, then was in the apothecary business until 1871, when he began the manufacture of leather-board. Later he built pulp mills here and at North Jay, and carries on the business in connection with the leather-board manufacture. He also owns the grist and lumber mills. He has abont $75,000 capital invested in his business here, and about $100,000 at Jay. He employs 60 hands here and 50 at Jay. His monthly pay- roll here is $1,300, and at Jay, $1,200. He also has an orange grove in Florida,
589
TOWN OF EAST LIVERMORE.
where he and his wife (Agrandice Lyford Record) pass their winters, leaving his business to his sons Edward H. and Judson A., and daughter Helen, who has been his book-keeper since he has been in business.
The Umbayog Pulp Company was incorporated in 1882 with a capital at first of $150,000, subsequently enlarged. The property is on both sides of the river. Extensive improvements have since been made ; strong dams and large buildings have been erected, and the property is among the most valuable on the Androscoggin. Sixty hands are employed, and the monthly pay-roll is $2,400. The officers of the company are : president, H. J. Chisholm ; treasurer, E. B. Dennison ; superintendent, Charles R. Loring ; clerk, D. J. Bogan.
The Otis Falls Pulp Company was organized in 1888, with a capital stock of $150,000, since increased to over $200,000. The plant is on both sides of the river, and in three towns. The mill is a few feet over the line in Jay. Otis Falls are half a mile above Livermore Falls, and were once owned and occupied for a lumber mill by Oliver Otis. The company employs 75 men, with a monthly pay-roll of $2,500. The officers are : president, C. A. Brown ; treasurer, H. J. Chisholm ; superintendent, W. C. Bursley. The company is erecting a large paper mill.
One of the industries that gives employment to both sexes, and therefore the most useful, is the variety wood-turning business of F. S. Richmond. Mr Richmond is a native of Livermore, and has been in the business from his youth. He has been, like Mr Record, the architect of his own fortunes. He employs 80 hands, with a monthly pay-roll of $1,200, uses both steam and water power, does an annual business of $40,000, while his products, as one has said, "go to the ends of the earth." The manufacture of clothing by E. W. Pressey is a useful industry for the employment of females. Mr Pressey has been in business here some 15 years, employs 30 hands, and does an annual business of about $10,000. The manufacturing business of John L. Cummings commenced at Livermore Center a few years since in a small way, and now employing 15 operatives, and doing an annual business of $20,000, has its post- office address here. Mr Cummings manufactures trunks, extension cases, and plush goods. All the smaller industries are well represented. The population of the town is steadily increasing, and its future growth and prosperity is assured. The valuation is: real estate, $347,200; personal, $103,361; polls, 390; liabilities, $4,903.46; resources, $3,391.26.
Need help finding more records? Try our genealogical records directory which has more than 1 million sources to help you more easily locate the available records.