USA > Maine > Androscoggin County > History of Androscoggin County, Maine > Part 72
Note: The text from this book was generated using artificial intelligence so there may be some errors. The full pages can be found on Archive.org (link on the Part 1 page).
Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5 | Part 6 | Part 7 | Part 8 | Part 9 | Part 10 | Part 11 | Part 12 | Part 13 | Part 14 | Part 15 | Part 16 | Part 17 | Part 18 | Part 19 | Part 20 | Part 21 | Part 22 | Part 23 | Part 24 | Part 25 | Part 26 | Part 27 | Part 28 | Part 29 | Part 30 | Part 31 | Part 32 | Part 33 | Part 34 | Part 35 | Part 36 | Part 37 | Part 38 | Part 39 | Part 40 | Part 41 | Part 42 | Part 43 | Part 44 | Part 45 | Part 46 | Part 47 | Part 48 | Part 49 | Part 50 | Part 51 | Part 52 | Part 53 | Part 54 | Part 55 | Part 56 | Part 57 | Part 58 | Part 59 | Part 60 | Part 61 | Part 62 | Part 63 | Part 64 | Part 65 | Part 66 | Part 67 | Part 68 | Part 69 | Part 70 | Part 71 | Part 72 | Part 73 | Part 74 | Part 75 | Part 76 | Part 77 | Part 78 | Part 79 | Part 80 | Part 81 | Part 82 | Part 83 | Part 84 | Part 85 | Part 86 | Part 87 | Part 88 | Part 89 | Part 90 | Part 91 | Part 92 | Part 93 | Part 94 | Part 95 | Part 96 | Part 97 | Part 98 | Part 99 | Part 100 | Part 101 | Part 102 | Part 103 | Part 104 | Part 105 | Part 106 | Part 107 | Part 108
Merchants .- Since the utilization of the water-power commenced, Liver- more Falls has been a considerable trade center. A Mr Mills was in trade here as early as 1815. Slowly came others: E. Pettingill, Stone, Waterman, Cooper, Cutler, Mayo, Kimball, C. Pettingill, Noyes, Reed, Chandler. In 1870 were in trade E. Treat, S. J. Burgess, W. H. Wood, C. Pettingill, J. A. Ramsdell, J. W. Eaton, S. Goding, J. W. Dunham, Alvin Record, N. G. Cofran, B. B. Drake, M. Larkin, G. O. Foye, C. R. Noyes, M. Sylvester, J. P.
590
HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.
Fogg. In 1890 W. A. Francis and E. N. Berry (since 1871) traded at the Mills, H. N. Sawtelle at Strickland's Ferry, S. E. Perkins (since 1880), W. S. Treat, C. Pettingill, J. A. Ramsdell, J. G. Ham, David Elliott, Moore & Sprague, J. L. Cummings, Cloutchie & Deshain, E. L. Beck, George Chandler, W. A. Stuart, A. C. Hutchinson, S. W. Burbank, E. Edgecomb, S. J. Burgess, J. F. Jefferds, G. F. Wood, E. S. Goding, E. & H. Sewall, M. E. Whitcomb, and others.
The Baptist Church at Livermore Falls was organized November 20, 1811, and was originally the Third Baptist church in Livermore. The original members were Rev. Thomas Wyman, Zephaniah Bumpus, Jesse Smith, Ebenezer Turner, Ithamar Farrington, Theodore Martin, Levi Pike, Nancy Whittemore, Sally Bassett, Mary Lyford, Rachel Farrington, Hannah Pike, Irene Smith, Mary Bumpus, Sarah Smith, Polly Turner, Elizabeth Farrington, Mary Baker, Jerusha Lyford, Sally Marston, Ebenezer Farrington, John Wyman, Daniel Wyman, Cushman Bassett, Jonathan Libby, Ebenezer Whit- temore, Betsey Smith. The meetings of the church were held in dwellings and school-houses until 1825, when a meeting-house was built at Shy, near the present cemetery. In 1854 this house was moved to Livermore Falls, and in 1871 was torn down to give place to the present brick building. The pastors have been: Thomas Wyman, November, 1811, to October, 1817; Elias Nelson, 1818 to 1820; - Adams, 1820 to 1822; John Hays. February, 1822 to 1823; - Adams, from 1823 to March, 1824, from which time until June, 1833, the church had no regular pastor; Nathan Mayhew, June, 1833, to September, 1835; William Wyman, 1836; O. B. Walker, December, 1839, to February, 1842; D. Hutchinson, 1842 to 1844; Amos Pendleton, May, 1844, to May, 1846; William Wyman, July, 1846, to May, 1850; Rufus Chase, June, 1850, to June, 1853; A. B. Pendleton, May, 1855, to April, 1863; A. Bryant, Novem- ber, 1863, to November, 1866; Asa Perkins, March, 1867, to April, 1868; E. M. Bartlett, March, 1869, to March, 1871; J. F. Eveleth, June, 1873, to June, 1878; E. F. Merriman, July, 1879, to September, 1880; E. S. Small, October, 1880, to June, 1890. Rev. W. O. Ayer, the present pastor, came in Septem- ber, 1890. The present membership of the church is 145, and of the Sunday school, 150. R. C. Boothby is Sunday-school superintendent.
Moose Hill Free Will Baptist Church. - This church was organized in 1828. Ithamar Farrington, Joseph Lyford, Levi Pike, Philip Smith, Rachel Farring- ton, Mary Lyford, Betsey Pike, and Betsey Smith were the original members. The pastors have been John Foster, William Badger, E. G. Eaton, Roger Ela, A. Hathaway, C. Campbell, Elder Hutchinson, Elder Jones, J. Edgecomb, S. P. Morrill, D. Alden, J. Bartlett, C. E. Tedford, E. N. Berry, H. C. Lowden, W. Davis, and W. W. Carver. The church at present numbers 81 members, and the Sunday school has 50 scholars. Mrs O. Roys is superintendent.
591
TOWN OF EAST LIVERMORE.
Methodist Episcopal Church. - The first Methodist sermon preached within the bounds of Fayette circuit was preached by Jesse Lee at Fayette Corner, February 11, 1794. The old Fayette circuit was set off from Readfield charge in 1827, and there were Methodist classes formed at this time at Fayette Corner, Cyrus Baldwin leader; one on the Ridge, Samuel Tuck leader; Ches- terville class, Ezekiel Knowles leader; Jay class, Moses Stone leader; Canton, Ezekiel Treat leader ; East Livermore, Isaac Billington leader; Livermore Falls, William Snow leader. The first quarterly meeting of the charge was held September 5. Abont 1829 or 1830 a union house of worship was erected near Haines's Corner, East Livermore, where the Methodists continued to worship until 1844, when, through the efforts of Mr Jacob Randall, a meeting- house was bought and removed from Fayette Corner to East Livermore and dedicated in 1845, in which the Methodists have worshiped up to the present time. In 1830 an extensive revival occurred, Henry True preacher in charge. The work commenced at Haines's Corner, East Livermore. John Lord, then presiding elder of Portland district, aided powerfully in promoting the work. On the night preceding the quarterly meeting Isaac Billington, the class leader, prayed all night for God's blessing upon the meeting. There were violent opposers in the neighborhood, who wrote threatening letters to some of the young men who had been converted. Early in the morning the converts, led by the presiding elder, visited the houses of the men who wrote the threatening letters, prayed and sang praises at their doors. The revival spread over the circuit, and as the result of this work the pastor baptized and received into the church . 111 persons. The East Livermore part of the M. E. church was composed of 53 members at its formation, and the church on the whole has been grandly successful and has been distinguished for the steadfastness and fervid piety of its members. The territory which the East Livermore church formerly embraced has been reduced by the formation of the church at Liver- more Falls, to which about 75 members of the East Livermore church were transferred. The church has a membership of 100, and a Sabbath school of 50 members. Mr N. W. Brown is superintendent.
The preachers have been: 1827-8, Philip Ayer; 1828-9, Nathaniel Norris; 1829-30, Henry True ; 1830-31, Henry True and B. D. Eastman ; 1831-3, Asa Heath; 1833-4, Gorham Greely ; 1834-7, Philip Munger; 1837-8, Huse Dow ; 1838-9, Asa Green, Asa Smith, P. Munger; 1839-40, Joseph Lull; 1840-42, Ira T. Thurston ; 1842-3, Thomas Smith ; 1843-4, Thomas Smith, W. H. Foster; 1844-6, Benjamin Foster; 1846-7, Josiah Higgins; 1847-9, Daniel Randall; 1849-51, John Allen; 1851-2, Joseph Gerry; 1852-4, David Copeland ; 1854-6, Isaac Lord ; 1856-8, Heman Nickerson; 1858-60, W. H. Foster; 1860-62, Alvah Hatch; 1862-4, Phineas Libby; 1864-6, Heman Nickerson; 1866-9, Charles Andrews; 1869-72, Daniel Waterhouse; 1872-5, John P. Cole; 1875-8, C. W. Blackman; 1878-9, David Pratt; 1879-81, H. B. Wardwell;
592
HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.
1881-2, Samuel Bailey; 1882-3, Charles Munger ; 1883-4, O. S. Pillsbury ; 1884-7, W. H. Foster; 1887-9, Henry Crockett ; 1889-91, J. R. Remick.
The Livermore Falls Methodist Episcopal Church was organized May 15, 1866, with 86 members, through the instrumentality of Samuel Baldwin, Orrin Haskell, Moses Stone, Cyrus Parker, Jonathan Pike, L. H. Daggett, and Charles Richardson. Lothrop's (now Bean's) hall was fitted up with pews, pulpit, and gallery and used as a place of worship until the handsome new church building on Church street was ready for occupation, some three years
later. In 1888 the church erected a parsonage. Pastors -1866, James Armstrong; 1867-1868, Ruel Kimball; 1869, Stephen Allen; 1870-1871, John M. Woodbury; 1872, Willard Bartlett; 1873-1874-1875, W. H. Foster; 1876, Richard Vivian; 1877, Sylvester Hooper; 1878-1879, Asbury Trafton ; 1880-1881-1882, George L. Burbank; 1883-1884, M. E. King; 1885-1886, John L. Hill; 1887-1888, C. E. Bisbee ; 1889-1890, A. E. Parlin. The present membership of the church is 163. The Sunday school has 206 scholars. E. C. Dow is superintendent.
Universalism.1-For a number of years previous to 1860 services were held occasionally in a union church at Haines's Corner, and in the school-house and Treat's Hall in Livermore Falls. Among the ministers who officiated were George Bates, Thomas Dolloff, Ezekiel Vose, Robert Blacker, George Quimby, O. H. Johnson. Under the ministry of the latter the present house of worship was erected in 1860. Abram Luce, Orin Luce, Comfort Pettingill, Cyrus Morrison, Nathaniel Mayo, and Ezekiel Treat furnished the money. Two of this number (Comfort Pettingill and Abram Luce) are now living. The building lot was given by Comfort Pettingill and Ezekiel Treat. The contract of building was let to Ezekiel Treat. In 1861 there was organized a Universalist society, the first organization of Universalism in East Livermore. The next pastor after O. H. Johnson was D. T. Stevens. His successor was B. H. Davis, under whose administration, in 1881, was organized "The First Universalist Parish Church," with these members: Benjamin H. Davis, I. L. Alden, A. R. Millett, Dora A. Alden, Charles H. Boothby, H. N. Stone, Com- fort Pettingill, M. M. Stone, Charles Pettingill, C. H. Cram, George H. Dascomb, V. D. Cram, M. L. Pettingill, Lottie Boothby, F. S. Richmond, S. J. Millett, Emma A. Richmond, Abbie Hyde, Celia B. Coolidge, Elisha Coolidge, Nellie L. Lisherness, Abbie Haines, Charles R. Lisherness, A. Knapp, Adelbert Alden, E. M. Eustis. The idea was to have both a parish and church with but one organization. H. C. Munson followed Mr Davis, and he was succeeded by F. K. Beem. During the present pastorate the Parish church has been reorganized so that there are two organizations, or parish and church. The parish officers are : president, Howard Sewall; secretary, Miss Minnie W. Alden ; treasurer, Charles Pettingill ; examining committee, Mr and Mrs S. E. Perkins and Mrs
1 By Rev. F. K. Beem.
593
TOWN OF EAST LIVERMORE.
George Wood. Officers of the church : secretary, F. S. Richmond ; treasurer, Charles Pettingill ; deacons, F. S. Richmond and A. Q. Knapp. In connection with the church is a Sunday School, Ladies' Circle, and Young People's Society of Christian Endeavor.
Rockomeka Lodge, No. 283, I. O. G. T., was organized July 17, 1882. The charter members were C. R. Loring, David Cargill, G. S. Burbank, J. L. Lothrop, Albert Allen, A. O. Wood, Lillian Allen, Katie Ross, G. T. Vining, Martha A. Pierce, E. S. Elliott, Mrs C. R. Loring, J. N. Goding, Clara J. Basford, A. J. Moore, E. Ridley, Mrs E. E. Dyke, Susie N. Cargill, Carroll Cargill, R. C. Boothby, Henry Reynolds, J. L. Morse, James Ridley, Minnie Marsh, Mabel Lamb, Vesta Boothby, Emma Lamb, B. A. Knapp, E. C. Basford, A. P. Ricker, E. E. Dyke, C. H. Kimball, J. A. Record, A. D. Brown, W. E. Morse, Laura A. Goding, Mrs N. Pierce, J. N. Pettingill, Nettie F. Pulsifer, S. A Burbank, Sarah S. Hood, Annie L. Cole, Lottie F. Cole, E. S. Small. The first officers were: R. C. Boothby, C. T .; David Cargill, P. C. T .; Rev. E. S. Small, Chap .; J. A. Pettengill, V. T .; W. E. Morse, Sec .; E. C. Basford, Financial Sec. ; S. A. Burbank, Treas .; Clara J. Basford, D. M .; C. H. Kimball, I. G .; E. E. Dyke, O. G. The present officers are: W. L. Dow, C. T .; W. Holley, P. C. T .; Minnie Alden, V. T .; J. W. Knapp, Sec .; Sybil Alden, F. Sec. ; Gertrude Rand, Treas. ; H. Green, M .; Elra Goding, D. M .; Rev. W. H. Foster, Chap .; Isaac Boothby, G .; Frank Warren, Sen .; E. A. Keen, Lodge Deputy. The lodge is in a prosperous condition, and has 130 members.
Pure Gold Lodge, I. O. G. T., No. 262, was instituted at East Livermore Mills, November 10, 1888, with 16 charter members. Officers as follows: C. W. Brown, C. T .; Nettie A. Berry, V. T .; M. E. Gould, C .; W. B. Crane, Sec. ; Horace Tobin, Asst Sec .; L. P. Gould, F. Sec .; George Keith, Treas. ; Fred M. Berry, M .; Lester Brown, D. M .. Mrs E. N. Berry, G .; E. N. Berry, L. D .; Alvena Stetson, S. J. T .; E. N. Berry, P. C. T. There are at present 50 members in good standing.
Camp Ground. - Since the year 1850 the Methodists of East Livermore and vicinity have held meetings annually in a grove known as the East Liver- more Camp Ground. This association of Methodists was incorporated in 1870 and was called the East Livermore Camp-Meeting Association. At present the association owns about twenty acres of land, a large boarding-house, stable, and offices. There are many beautiful cottages owned by the society and individuals. The auditorium has a seating capacity of about 3,000. The grounds are beautiful and well arranged. Present officers: G. R. Fernald, president; W. H. Foster, vice-president ; A. D. Cole, secretary and treasurer; C. W. Brown, N. W. Brown, A. D. Brown, directors.
Physicians. - Haines's Corner .- Dr Charles Millett was in practice at Haines's Corner until about 1848 when he moved to Lewiston, where he died
594
HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.
in 1854. Dr William B. Small, a son of Dr Small, of Jay, was in practice here until about 1870. Dr William Cary practiced here before the organization of the town. Livermore Falls .- Dr Snow came in 1818. Dr William Kelsey was in practice here. He died in 1842, aged 34. Dr David Hale came from Fayette Mills about 1843, and resided here until his death in 1868. He was an honored and respected citizen and skilled in his profession. Dr A. R. Millett, a native of Minot, came in 1853 and was in practice here until near the time of his death in 1889. He was an able physician and had a large practice. Dr Albert G. French moved here from Fayette about 1859, remained four years, returned to Fayette, where he practiced until he moved to Lewiston, and opened an office with Dr Russell. Dr Selden F. Neal, who was for a time preceptor of Hebron Academy, and assistant surgeon in the army, located here in 1865, and obtained a good practice. He died in 1872. He was succeeded by Frank Garcelon, a native of the place, who moved to California about 1877. Dr Isaiah L. Alden came from Turner in 1877. He had been in practice in the West. Though feeble in health, he soon entered into a large practice. He died in 1886, lamented by all. Dr J. E. Bradbury, a native of Livermore, came here in 1884. In 1889 he moved to Stoughton, Mass., where he is now in practice. The present physicians are: Dr Charles E. Knight, a native of Livermore, son of William and Rebecca Knight, who has been for a number of years a member of the school committee. Dr Knight was educated for his profession at the Maine Medical School, and is a graduate of Waterville Classical Institute and received his degree at Bowdoin College. He located in Livermore Falls in 1887, and was appointed United States pension examining surgeon in 1890. Dr C. H. Gibbs, also a native of Livermore, has been and is now a member of the school committee and town clerk and treasurer. Dr Henry Reynolds came here from Auburn.
Lawyers. - The first lawyer we have any record of was William A. Evans, a native of Hallowell, and a brother of U. S. Senator George Evans. Mr Evans was here about 1840, but soon moved to Fort Fairfield. Grove Catlin, from York county, was here in 1854, though partially retired from practice, and devoting most of his time to his farm at Otis Falls. After C. Knapp came he was often his competitor in the trial of suits.1 Catlin was a man of respectable talents and attainments, but of intemperate habits. He moved to New Hampshire about 1865, where he died. H. C. Wentworth, a native of Readfield, came in 1858. He was a college graduate, and had taught in an academy in Georgia. He was a lieutenant in the 16th Me. In 1870 he moved to Auburn, and was of the firm of Wentworth & Cornish, Lewiston, and later practiced alone. He
1 The last time he was engaged in a trial with Knapp was at Livermore Falls before Esquire Hunton, when, dissatisfied with some ruling of the court, he seized his hat and started for home, saying as he went out of the door, " Blast such a court, to be ruled by that calf-head of a lawyer." Knapp, after he left, coolly remarked, " I always knew there was something the matter with me, but never knew before that it was a calf's-head."
595
TOWN OF EAST LIVERMORE.
was a man of talent, a good debater, and an able public speaker. A. C. Otis came from Winthrop and opened an office in 1873, but returned in 1875. The present lawyers are C. Knapp and H. C. Whittemore. [See Bench and Bar.]
CIVIL LIST. - 1844, 1845- A. Barton, clerk; A. Barton, D. Benjamin, J. Ford, selectmen. 1846- A. Barton, clerk; D. Benjamin, J. Ford, J. Cutler, selectmen. 1847 - A. Barton, clerk; J. Cutler, L. B. Young, N. Wellington, selectmen. 1848, 1849- A. Barton, clerk; A. Barton, J. Ford, J. Lovejoy, selectmen. 1850- A. Barton, clerk; J. Cutler, F. Morrill, S. Baldwin, selectmen. 1851 - A. Barton, clerk; J. Cutler, J. Ford, J. Lovejoy, selectmen. 1852, 1853, 1854- A. Barton, clerk, A. Barton, J. Lovejoy, J. Ford, selectmen. 1855- A. Barton, clerk; A. Barton, J. Lovejoy, C. S. Pray, selectmen. 1856- A. Barton, clerk; C. S. Pray, H. L. Morrison, J. Ford, selectmen. 1857, 1858 - E. Kimball, clerk; C. S. Pray, J. Lovejoy, F. F. Haines, selectmen. 1859 -- E. Kimball, clerk; C. S. Pray, H. L. Morrison, J. A. Rowell, selectmen. 1860 - A. Barton, clerk; C. S. Pray, H. I .. Morrison, J. A. Rowell, selectmen. 1861, 1862- A. Barton, clerk; C. S. Pray, H. L. Morrison, S. Haines, selectmen. 1863- A. Barton, clerk; C. S. Pray, H. L. Morrison, F. N. Billington, selectmen. 1864 - A. Barton, clerk; W. Hunton, S. Haines, H. Garcelon, selectmen. 1865 - H. Garcelon, clerk; W. Hunton, H. Garcelon, F. N. Billington, selectmen. 1866, 1867 - H. Garcelon, clerk; H. Garcelon, F. N. Billington, J. Lovejoy, selectmen. 1868- H. Garcelon, clerk; H. Garcelon, F. N. Billington, H. L. Morrison, selectmen. 1869, 1870- H. Garcelon, clerk; H. Garcelon, C. S. Pray. H. L. Morrison, selectmen. 1871, 1872, 1873 - H. Garcelon, clerk; E. Treat, F. N. Billington, H. L. Morrison, selectmen. 1874 - E. E. Goding, clerk; E. Treat, F. N. Billington, H. L. Morrison, selectmen. 1875, 1876- E. E. Goding, clerk; J. W. Eaton, R. C. Boothby, C. W. Brown, selectmen. 1877, 1878, 1879- E. E. Goding, clerk; J. W. Eaton, R. C. Boothby, N. W. Brown, selectmen. 1880, 1881-E. E. Goding, clerk; R. C.
Boothby, N. W. Brown, A. M. Wing, selectmen. 1882 -E. S. Goding, clerk ; R. C. Boothby, A. H. Ford, C. B. Knapp, selectmen. 1883, 1884, 1885, 1886-C. H. Gibbs, clerk; R. C. Boothby, A. H. Ford, L. C. Wyman, selectmen. 1887-C. H. Gibbs, clerk; N. W. Brown, A. J. Dane, E. E. Goding, selectmen. 1888-C. H. Gibbs, clerk; E. E. Goding, N. W. Brown, C. B. Knapp, selectmen. 1889, 1890 -C. H. Gibbs, clerk; George R. Currier, C. W. Brown, A. M. Bumpus, selectmen. 1891-C. H. Gibbs, clerk; R. C. Boothby, J. A. Rowell, A. H. Ford, selectmen.
Roswell C. Boothby, son of Samuel and Sarah (Leadbetter) Boothby, is a native of Leeds, and grandson of Stephen Boothby who came to that town, an early settler, from Saco, and cleared the farm now occupied by his son William. Stephen had two children, William and Samuel. Roswell C. Boothby is one of the leading men of East Livermore. Republican in politics he is an able supporter of the principles of his party, and has held important public offices in town and county. He is a Baptist in religious preferences, and is prominent in Masonic circles ; a member of Reuel Washburn Lodge and of Lewiston Commandery, and has been D. D. G. Master of the Fifteenth Masonic District. He married Clara A., daughter of Hezekiah and Nancy (Coffin) Atwood. [Mrs Atwood was daughter of Naphthali Coffin, an early settler of Livermore, and is now living near Livermore Center at the advanced age of 90 years.] Their children are Eugene H., Vesta J. (dec.), Samuel D., Eloise H.
Jonathan F. Jefferds, son of Rev. Forrest, a native of Wells, and Sarah C. (Stearns) Jefferds, a native of Bedford, Mass., was born in Middleton, Mass. He comes of historic lineage, being a descendant of John Alden of Mayflower fame. The children of J. F. and Ann M. Jefferds are Nellie F. and Lizzie V. Mr Jefferds is a Congregationalist in religious preferences and a Republican politically. He was chief clerk in the New England railroad mail service 14 years, and is now postmaster at Livermore Falls. He served two years in the
.
596
HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.
army, is past commander of Kimball Post, G. A. R., of this place, and has served three years on the staff of the commander of the Department of Maine.
George A. Gordon, son of Robert F. and Elvira V. Gordon, was born at Livermore, December 18, 1856. His father was a native of Hooksett, N. H., whither his great-grandfather emigrated from Scotland, his name appearing upon the first inventory of that town. Mr Gordon married, in 1879, Florence S. Young; they have one son, Harold B. Mr Gordon is a resident of Liver- more, is United States pension attorney, and conducts insurance and real estate business at Livermore Falls. His religious preference is for the Universalist faith ; politically he belongs to the Democratic party. He is an Odd Fellow.
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES.
ALBION RICKER MILLETT, M.D.
T HERE is no more valuable member of the community than the intelligent and devoted physician. He is a benefactor of his race, and, when death claims an old, tried, and reliable medical practitioner, one whose profes- sional skill and tender care of his patients has won the esteem and love of all, we feel in our hearts, and utter with our lips, "a good man is gone." It is well that the memory of such men should be cherished, and that a niche should be kept for them in the history of the county where their laborious lives were passed. Of this number Dr Millett takes foremost rank.
Albion Ricker Millett,1 son of David and Asenath (Hersey) Millett, was born at Minot, now Auburn, June 19, 1826, and died June 8, 1889, at Liver- more Falls. He attended the district schools, taught school for some years, and after his academic studies were completed commenced the study of the profes- sion which was to be his life-work, in the office of Dr Wiggin of Auburn; was graduated from Bowdoin Medical School in 1854 and established himself at Livermore Falls, where for a quarter of a century he was a successful, sympa- thetic, and well-beloved physician, and only retired from practice on account of failing health. Dr Millett married, March 10, 1861, S. Josephine, daughter of Captain Ezekiel and Martha (Richardson) Treat, a lady who was a true helpmeet, and by her appreciative sympathy and consideration lightened his heavy labors. Their son died in infancy; but their home was gladdened in 1867 by a daughter, Lottie, now Mrs C. H. Boothby, of Portland, whose son bears the name Albion Millett Boothby.
1 For ancestral history see biography of F. D. Millett, Leeds.
-Fry by J.R. Rice & Se as Pho
597
TOWN OF EAST LIVERMORE.
Notwithstanding his devotion to his profession and its manifold cares, Dr Millett was no idle spectator in the progressive, political, moral, and intellectual elements of the town. In 1860 he purchased a tract of land on the east side of Main street, built a fine residence, and later opened Millett street, on which he erected several houses on the north side. He was a life-long Democrat, and for many years a leader of his party in the vicinity. He was several times a candidate for the legislature, and, such was his popularity, ran ahead of his ticket, but his party was in the minority. He was a close reader of the Bible, a prominent member of the Universalist society, president of the Franklin County Universalist Association for years, and a liberal supporter of that denomination. In every worthy enterprise he withheld neither his word, influence, or money. He was made a Mason in Oriental Star Lodge, Liver- more, and was a charter member of Reuel Washburn Lodge, Livermore Falls; had been a Mason for 30 years, and was buried with Masonic honors. As a physician Dr Millett's wide researches, retentive memory, and love of study, added to good judgment, placed him among the leading practitioners of the state, and many owe their lives to his professional skill. In business matters his knowledge of affairs, his general intelligence, and his ability caused his opinion to be widely sought. Of correct habits, unquestioned integrity, irre- proachable character, with a clear head and a pure and tender heart, always true to his convictions, and ready to defend right and justice, Dr Millett may be truly said to have been one of nature's noblemen. His memory is gratefully cherished, and those who knew him will say that this is not the language of eulogy, but simple truth. "Better than storied urn or animated bust" is such a monument of tender memories.
CAPTAIN EZEKIEL TREAT.
The man to whom Livermore Falls is most indebted for its existence was Captain Ezekiel Treat, son of Captain Ezekiel Treat of Canton, who owned and commanded ships engaged in traffic between Boston and foreign lands. Ezekiel Treat, Jr, was one of six sons whose weight aggregated over 1,200 pounds, and as a boy accompanied his father to sea, and rose to be captain of his father's vessels. He followed the sea until he was nearly 40 and then settled in Canton. He married successively Sarah and Martha, daughters of Captain George P. Richardson, of Duxbury, Mass. One child of the first wife, George M., and two children of the second wife, Sarah Josephine (Mrs A. R. Millett), and Winfield S., are now living. In 1845 Captain Treat moved to Livermore Falls, where he purchased the entire water-power of the Andros- coggin river in East Livermore and the land that now forms the principal business portion of the village of Livermore Falls. He was the first to utilize the vast power of the falls, building grist, saw, and shingle mills, which he carried on for years. It is remarkable that when he sold the water-power (now
Need help finding more records? Try our genealogical records directory which has more than 1 million sources to help you more easily locate the available records.