USA > Maine > Androscoggin County > History of Androscoggin County, Maine > Part 75
Note: The text from this book was generated using artificial intelligence so there may be some errors. The full pages can be found on Archive.org (link on the Part 1 page).
Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5 | Part 6 | Part 7 | Part 8 | Part 9 | Part 10 | Part 11 | Part 12 | Part 13 | Part 14 | Part 15 | Part 16 | Part 17 | Part 18 | Part 19 | Part 20 | Part 21 | Part 22 | Part 23 | Part 24 | Part 25 | Part 26 | Part 27 | Part 28 | Part 29 | Part 30 | Part 31 | Part 32 | Part 33 | Part 34 | Part 35 | Part 36 | Part 37 | Part 38 | Part 39 | Part 40 | Part 41 | Part 42 | Part 43 | Part 44 | Part 45 | Part 46 | Part 47 | Part 48 | Part 49 | Part 50 | Part 51 | Part 52 | Part 53 | Part 54 | Part 55 | Part 56 | Part 57 | Part 58 | Part 59 | Part 60 | Part 61 | Part 62 | Part 63 | Part 64 | Part 65 | Part 66 | Part 67 | Part 68 | Part 69 | Part 70 | Part 71 | Part 72 | Part 73 | Part 74 | Part 75 | Part 76 | Part 77 | Part 78 | Part 79 | Part 80 | Part 81 | Part 82 | Part 83 | Part 84 | Part 85 | Part 86 | Part 87 | Part 88 | Part 89 | Part 90 | Part 91 | Part 92 | Part 93 | Part 94 | Part 95 | Part 96 | Part 97 | Part 98 | Part 99 | Part 100 | Part 101 | Part 102 | Part 103 | Part 104 | Part 105 | Part 106 | Part 107 | Part 108
615
CITY OF AUBURN.
of about $40,000. The mayor commends the construction of the Lewiston and Auburn railroad. He expresses what has been and still is the spirit of the leading men of Auburn: "I deem it the duty of this city to seize upon and improve every opportunity to foster any enterprise that will invite to our midst capital and labor." Among the property owned by the city and which is valued at $69,650 appear poor farm, etc. $5,000, engine lot and house $5,000, lot and armory $800, Auburn Hall, etc. $20,000, fire engines, etc. $7,000, five school-houses " in the village " $15,000, 21 school-houses "outside the village " $10,500. The stone curbing, etc., for the brick sidewalk in front of the court- house lot have been put in place, and Pleasant, Court, and Spring streets graded and improved. The number of scholars is 2,025, and $13,670.88 was expended for schools. City Mills at Danville Junction were burned in January, 1872. April 11 on the question, "Shall the City of Auburn subscribe to the capital stock of the Lewiston and Auburn Railroad Company to an amount not exceeding 745 shares of the par value of $100 per share, and issue bonds, etc. ? " 843 votes were cast in favor and 202 against.
The year ending February 28, 1873, presents this financial exhibit at its close : Receipts $102,255.46, amounts paid out $100,623.82. The city's liabilities are $146,500. (Auburn has subscribed $74,400 to the Lewiston and Auburn railroad, and the first assessment, $14,900, is due and included in the liabilities.) The net liabilities are $127,450.34, of which $22,200 become due within a year. Roads and streets are a great expense. Mayor Littlefield recommends building the county road to East Auburn, alludes to the county road located in 1870 from Lewiston to Danville, which involved the building of another bridge across the Androscoggin, and asks for the adoption of a general plan for sewerage. March 29, 1873, the issue of the railroad bonds was ordered. July 9, $8,000 was appropriated for sewers on Main and Court streets, $22,500 for building a school-house on Spring and School streets. August 12 it was decided to purchase a new poor farm or rebuild the buildings on the old one. The 50-horse-power engine at the north end of Roak Block was started first on September 6th, and the machinery of Barker Mill September 8th.
March 1, 1874, the net indebtedness of the city was $214,159.69. The treasurer's receipts for the year were $186,030.42; his expenditures $177,885.45; $16,136.89 were for schools, $8,904.70 for sewers on Main and Court streets, $15,391.07 for roads, and $7,500 for a new poor farm, etc. The railroad bonds have been sold, 95 per cent. of the amount realized, and the subscription paid in full. Broad street has been opened, the county road to East Auburn, and a road to the buildings of the Auburn Foundry and Manufacturing Company. July 26, 1873, the farm buildings on the city farm were struck by lightning and burned, with furniture, tools, hay, and provisions, and the Henry Stetson farm, with more convenient buildings have been purchased. The proposition made
616
HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.
concerning the transfer of the Edward Little Institute and grounds was accepted. The improvement of the water-power of the Little Androscoggin river has rapidly increased the growth of the territory adjacent thereto, and the Little Androscoggin Water-Power Company conveyed to the city a lot on which a school-house of two stories has been erected. January 3 Enoch Littlefield, Esq., for many years the landlord of the stage house at Littlefield's Corner, died. He was a very large man in size and an extensive business operator. April 24 an order was passed to build that portion of the lower bridge across the Androscoggin within the limits of Auburn, and $20,000 was appropriated. The bridge was built in accordance with this action. Lewiston and Auburn railroad was opened in July. There is great activity in sale of lots and in building. Sixth street chapel was built this season.
March 1, 1875. The city has property valued at $120,625, including Academy park, $10,000, and new grammar school-house, etc., $32,000 acquired the last year. The bonded debt is $248,000, temporary debt $28,363, with resources of $23,065.31. The new (Broad street) bridge has cost the city about $25,000. There are now ten reservoirs for the fire department, and a fire police has been established. The last census showed 2,260 scholars in the city, and $17,609.47 have been paid for schools during the year. Samuel Stinchfield, selectman of Danville for many years, died January 28, aged 81. North and West Auburn Cheese Company was organized March 18. May 1, National Shoe and Leather Bank commenced business. Mount Auburn cemetery laid out this year.
March 1, 1876. The city debt has been reduced $5,800, although the taxes were less. There are now 31 street lamps lighted by gasoline. May 10 an issue of 5% bonds for $33,000 was ordered to pay the floating debt.
March 1, 1877. The net liabilities of the city are $223,654.76, a decrease during the year of $23,599.81. The fire department asks for telegraph fire- alarm and a hook and ladder truck, and states that in addition to the steam fire engine and hand engine, a chemical engine is located at each of these points : North Auburn, West Auburn, East Auburn. Six hydrants have been located. October 11 the statue of Hon. Edward Little was placed in Edward Little High School park with appropriate ceremonies.
March 1, 1878. The net liabilities are $228,793.50, an increase of $5,396.63, accounted for by the cost of two iron bridges, one over the Little Androscoggin river $4,278.47, and the Littlefield bridge $2,361.57. Paving Court street from the bridge to the court house and other road improvements bring the expenditure in this department to $21,353.95. The Edward Little High School building is in construction of brick at a cost of nearly $15,000. The expense of schools for the year was $15,542.05. A second trial of votes for election of mayor occurred March 11, 1878, when Mayor Smith (Republican) was chosen by 11 majority. March 16 James Peables, a soldier in the War of 1812, died.
617
CITY OF AUBURN.
Goff Block was built this year, and a summer hotel at Lake Auburn com- menced. The city building on Court street, Rolfe & Mitchell's store, and several dwellings were burned December 7; loss $25,000. Arrangements were made this year with Auburn Aqueduct Company to lay water pipes and ' furnish water along Pleasant street from Court to Elm street, through Elm to Main, and through Main to Laurel, and to attach six hydrants for fire purposes.
March 1, 1879. During the past year $7,171.26 were paid for finishing the high school building, etc., $2,000 for reservoirs and hydrants, $901.64 for enlarging house on poor farm, $1,150.45 for sewers, $1,481.16 for new roads, and $3,000 was received for insurance. The city debt is reduced to $218,751.47. In 1879 water pipes were laid for fire service, and Lake Auburn water introduced to the city. A brick engine house of two stories was built on Court and Spring streets. A new school-house was erected in Bunker Hill district. An iron bridge of 100 feet span thrown over Little Androscoggin river below the foundry. Auburn Aqueduct Company was authorized to extend a 12-inch pipe to Lake Auburn. A bell weighing 1,700 pounds was raised in the Court Street Free Baptist church April 29. Maine Congrega- tional State Conference and Universalist State Convention held their annual meetings here in June. Auburn Mineral Spring Company was organized. A great improvement was made in the Maine Central station.
March 1, 1880. The financial condition is summed up by the mayor thus : Cash resources February 29, 1880, $122,828.39. The expenditures were $108,508.51; highways $11,762.11, street lights $997.02, schools $13,739.48, high school $3,426.02, fire department $1,375.13, printing $284.03, contingent expenses $5,151.66, night watch and police $2,011.64, new school-house $1,959.32, repairs $4,138.52, poor $2,969.65, new roads $6,506.42, sewers $550.38, building and furnishing engine house $6,786.67, paving Main street $2,358.03, discounts $2,933.40, abatements $1,899.53, salaries $3,465, payment of bonds $21,100, interest $15,094.50, leaving in treasury $14,319.88. The bonded debt is $257,400, the available resources $41,319.88, which leaves the indebtedness $216,232.66, a reduction during the year of $2,515.85. The school-house was built near Barker mill, a bridge over Royal river near Dan- ville Junction, a road to Danville Junction, one from West Auburn to the Lake Auburn House, and work begun on the West Minot road.
March 1, 1881. The bonded debt is $250,500, reduced the last year $6,900. The liabilities above cash resources are $209,637.12, $6,598.50 less than a year ago, and the city owns property valued at $221,830. Hydrants have been placed on Turner street, and an engine house built at North Auburn. Auburn Foundry was burned February 26.
March 1, 1882. The assessors' valuation is $5,211,987, the number of polls 2,375, state tax $22,970.70, county tax $6,872.24, municipal taxes $73,957.13, total assessment $103,800.07. The city debt is $242,700; the
618
HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.
liabilities above cash resources $201,740.84, $7,896.28 less than a year before. The flourishing condition of the city is shown in the sale of the 4% bonds issued to pay bonds maturing at 4% premium. Highland avenue, Fourth, Seventh, Eighth, Blake, Denison. and Madison streets have been located, and sewers laid in High, Turner, and Union streets, and Main street bridge paved and repaired. A reservoir has been built on Goff hill, steam-heating apparatus placed in the high school building, and a school-house built at Young's Corner.
March 1, 1883. The city debt (reduced during the municipal year $9,700) is $233,500, and the liabilities above cash resources are $203,856.19. $15,000 of the 4% bonds issued and sold at a premium of 3.83%. The valuation is $5,245,641, polls 2,304, state tax $22,970.70, county tax $6,872.24, city taxes $82,162.88, total assessment $112,005.82. A contract has been made with Auburn Aqueduct Company for water for fire purposes, and an electric fire alarm system introduced, a gravel-pit purchased for $2,000, and a soldiers' monument erected at a cost of $5,000. The Conant road from Broad street to the Hackett road has been opened, Charles street located from Highland avenue to Goff street, and Pulsifer street from Second to Sixth street; sewers laid in Summer, Manley, Goff, Elm, Broad, and Sixth streets; Turner street from Court to Hampshire paved with granite blocks. The expense for lighting streets has been $1,245.57. The last report shows 3,055 school population, of whom 1,551 attend school.
March 1, 1884. Mayor Sturgis says the bonded debt is $234,000; $114,000 bears 6% interest and becomes due between March 1, 1884, and March 1, 1892, $23,500 becoming due in 1884. $65,000 bears 5% interest and becomes pay- able between March 1, 1887, and March 1, 1898; $55,000 bears 4% interest and falls due between March 1, 1900, and March 1, 1903. The total indebted- ness is $240,000, the net liabilities are $214,357.56. During the year $12,117.58 was paid to the Auburn Aqueduct Company for the extension of water pipes for fire service. Thirty hydrants have been set during the year at an expense of $2,933.24, and $1,000 was paid to the Lewiston & Auburn Horse Railroad Company to compensate it for laying the track to East Auburn outside of the ditch of the public road. These unusual expenses-$16,050.82 -have increased the municipal indebtedness over that of last year $10,501.25. Western avenue has been opened from Minot road to Merrill hill, and Northern avenue from Horace Goff's to the river road. Extensive improvements have been made on High street, Broad street hill, and on road to West Auburn. January 15, 1884, Auburn's first electric light was placed in position. Auburn Aqueduct Company increases its capital to $250,000. Dr M. B. Preble died in January, in Colorado.
March 1, 1885. The bonded debt is $234,000, and net liabilities $206.866.48. The "Spring road " has been made during the year from the Bird place to Charles Holbrook's-three miles. High school building has been seriously
619
CITY OF AUBURN.
damaged by fire. The growth of the city and its development in every direction cause all departments of the government earnest work and present important problems for solution. June, 1885, J. B. Jones died. He was an active local politician and one of the prime movers in building the Andros- coggin Railroad.
March 1, 1886. The net liabilities of Auburn are $213,825.13. The new high school building has been completed, and equals any school building in a city of this size in the state. The street lights have cost $1,571.26. The children of school age number 2,320. In February, 1886, a storm blockade occurred on the Maine Central Railroad, which lasted three days. Lake Grove horse railroad opened to travel. The Lewiston Journal says: "Not less than 100 houses were built in Auburn in 1886, and no less than 15 new manufact- uring concerns organized, including corn-canning factories, hosiery mill, shovel-handle factory, toothpick factory, new grist-mill, box factory, art publishing company, and minor industries."
March 1, 1887. The bonded debt is $227,000; the Lewiston and Auburn railroad bonds have been paid, and Auburn receives an annual rental of $4,500 from the Grand Trunk Railway Company. During the past year the city debt has been reduced $4,713.07. Main street has been paved with granite blocks between Elm and Academy streets. A board of trade was established. Par- sons's steam grist-mill was burned in March, loss $30,000. The houses were numbered this year, and the first postal delivery by carriers was made in July. Oak Hill cemetery was enlarged and improved. Auburn Drug & Chemical Company was incorporated. Burnham & Morrill purchased the Auburn stables of the Horse Railroad Company and transformed them into a canning factory.
March 1, 1888. The bonded debt is $224,000. The net liabilities are $204,538.52, a reduction of $4,573.94 in the fiscal year. 29 electric lights have taken the place of street lamps. A loan and building association organized this year. The Lewiston Journal in its annual review of 1888 says these truthful words : " It has been a busy year in Auburn. That much goes without saying. The smart and active city has done more than this; more than simply keep busy. It has made apparent to the world the fact that it is growing. When this is made apparent, nothing can stop the appreciation of property, business, landed estates, stock in local concerns, value of manufactured products, extent of business streets, and general spread of the business of the city. In the past year Auburn has felt more than ever the spirit of growth, and the spirit has been made manifest in the rapid development, not only of the shoe business, but of all others. In building the city has developed quite rapidly. One fine new brick block has been practically completed on Main street, while two of the finest shoe factories in Maine or in New England have been built upon new land, developing a new colony of manufacture and creating in a narrow limit one of the most remarkable aggregations of shoe manufacture to be found
620
HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.
in the country. The homes that have sprung up in that city of homes are many and beautiful. Nearly a hundred houses have been built there the past year of 1888. The city has developed two flourishing companies for electric light and power, has developed two or three new shoe concerns and a variety of miscellaneous manufactures."
March 1, 1889. The city has completed twenty years of existence, and is in the midst of a healthy progress. The question of taxation and its reduc- tion is a vital one, and a large space of the mayor's address is devoted to it. Mayor Savage also gives the indebtedness, expenditures, and permanent im- provements of the city during the past year. We quote :
The indebtedness of the city February 28, 1889, was as follows: In the year ending March 1, 1890, $12,000; in that ending March 1, 1891, $10,000; in that ending March 1, 1892, $13,000. Bonds bearing 5 per cent. interest now overdue $1,500; maturing in the year ending March 1, 1890, $5,000; in the year ending March 1, 1891, $3,000; in that ending March 1, 1892, $4,300; in that ending March 1, 1893, $7,200; in that ending March 1, 1894, $16,000; in that ending March 1, 1895, $14,500; in the year ending March 1, 1898, $5,000. Bonds bearing 4 per cent. interest : maturing in the year ending March 1, 1899, $10,000; in the year ending March 1, 1902, $15,000; in that ending March 1, 1903, $15,000 ; in that ending March 1, 1904, $25,000; in the year ending March 1, 1905, $23,500; by March 1, 1906, $15,000; by March 1, 1907, $18,000; by March 1, 1908, $10,000. Total amount of funded indebtedness $223,000. Resources: Cash in treasury, $557.40; note of Edward Slattery, $68; balance due on taxes, $18,600-$19,225.40. Deducting available resources, the municipal indebtedness remains $203,774.60. In order to show the financial condition of the city in a proper manner, I think there should be deducted from this balance, at least the face value of the stock owned by the city in the Lewiston and Auburn Railroad, which is $75,000. This stock differs in many respects from ordinary municipal property. It is not devoted to municipal uses. It produces a stated revenue to the city. We receive annually on account of it, $4,500 in cash from the Grand Trunk Railway. It has the features of a sinking fund. It is more than an offset to $75,000 of our funded indebtedness, because we receive 6 per cent. upon it, while we are paying only 4 and 5 per cent. on nearly the whole of our debt. Deducting this $75,000 we have $128,774.60, which is the real net indebtedness of the city. In addition to the items already mentioned, there was expended last year for repairs upon highways, $15,844.26; for high school, $5,013.46; for schools, $21,621.78; for support of poor, $5,488.08, of which $1,724.67 was expended for steam heating apparatus at the poor farm; for fire department, $2,218.46; for police department, $2,420.33; for street lights, $2,241.70; for gravel-pit, $1,000; for interest, $10,505.80 ; for salaries, $4,018; for repairs on school-houses, $734.54; for park, $184.43; and for contingent expenses, $8,090.60. As most of the work in the nature of permanent improvements has been done under the direction of the street commissioner I think it proper that I should give you an account of the more important work of last year as shown by his report. The Maine Central Railroad widened its Turner street bridge to the great advantage of all our citizens in Perryville and beyond. Bank walls were put in and Turner street widened and filled at an expense of $1,518.58. There was expended for walls and filling on Winter street, $942.58; on French street, $425.85; for removing ledge on Second street, $157.50; on James street, $481.25. 2,513 feet of curbing have been set at an expense of $2,238.47 ; and 1,460 feet of flagging at an expense of $793.83. There were laid on Court street 1,212 yards of paving at an expense of $2,356.85, less the cost of 1,083
621
CITY OF AUBURN.
paving blocks left over. There was expended $529.30 for blasting water trenches on Lake street and Highland avenue. The Poland Spring road was completed at an expense of $2,153.04 ; the Calvin Libby road was built, costing $750.25; and there was laid out on Second avenue $425.50. Sewers were built as follows: 1,249 feet on Winter street; 200 feet on Troy street ; 200 feet on School street; and 450 feet on Cook street. There were put in 43 catch basins. The whole expense was $2,927.88. There was received $570 in sewer permits. I congratulate the citizens of the city that a daily paper has been estab- lished here. A paper which is devoted to the interests of Auburn above all other places cannot fail to be of great service to this community. I must not omit to refer to the recent arrangement entered into by the city and the Franklin Company, whereby all that section of the city north of Court street and east of Turner street, now owned by the Franklin Company, will in the immediate future be opened for business purposes. The need of more room has been felt for a long time, and I believe this addition of "work room," almost in the heart of the city, will do much to promote its growth and wealth.
The city owns property valued at $217,590. Among the items are $75,000 in railroad stock; high school building and park $30,000; Auburn Hall, etc., $20,000; grammar school-house, lot, etc., $25,000; 24 school-houses in the country, $11,000; 6 in the city proper, $12,000; poor farm, stock, etc., $12,000; steam fire engine, hose, etc., $5,000; engine houses and lots, $9,000.
March 1, 1890. In his address Mayor Savage says : "The municipal year just closed has been a prosperous one for the city in nearly every particular. We have been visited by neither pestilence nor misfortune ; general good health has prevailed; our laboring men have been well employed, and ready . markets have been had for those things which we grow upon our farms and manufacture in our shops. New industries have come among us, and new fields for investment have been found for local capital which had not before that time been employed in business." The city indebtedness has been decreased during the last year $11,927.30, leaving the net bonded liabilities, $191,847.30. The city has now 73 miles of sewers. The sewer on Hampshire street was rebuilt at an expense of $7,027.88; sewers were built on Minot avenue and Washington street, and an outlet made for them by laying a sewer from Minot avenue to Little Androscoggin river; 6,594 feet were laid in all at an expense of #11,998.14. Washington street extension to Court street was opened and built at a cost of $943.59, Knight street at a cost of $292.94, and improve- ments on Second avenue costing $838.82. The city laid 980 feet of curbing for sidewalks, 784 feet of flagging, built a stone culvert under Goff street extension, and much improved Western Promenade. The city now contains 232 miles of streets and roads ; 45 miles of sidewalks (22 miles being of brick). The receipts of the post-office for the quarter ending December 31 were $4,154.28.
March 15, 1891. Mayor Savage says in his inaugural address : "It has been the aim of Auburn city governments in times gone by to provide not only for the needs of the city for the time being, but by a wise foresight to
622
HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.
anticipate its future necessities, and by the judicious expenditure of money in public and permanent improvements, to enable our beloved city to keep pace with municipal progress elsewhere, and invite men of ability and men of means to make their residence among us. In this our city has been successful. So far as those elements go which tend to permanent development and solid pros- perity Auburn is to-day beyond all others the growing city of the state of Maine ; and it is with pride that we look back to the development accomplished by our citizens in the last twenty years." From this address we take the following appropriations, receipts, and expenditures for 1890:
State tax,
Appropriations. $14,046 67
Total Receipts. $14,046 67
Expenditures. $14,046 67
Overdrawn.
County tax,
7,853 98
7,853 98
7,853 98
Highways,
15,000 00
15,176 75
18,852 95
$3,676 20
Contingent,
4,000 00
14,286 42
17,796 04
3,489 59
Schools,
16,500 00
22,722 01
21,725 05
High school,
4,000 00
4,530 00
4,615 98
85 98
Fire department,
4,500 00
4,500 00
4,589 39
85 39
Police,
2,500 00
2,508 00
2,633 64
125 64
Poor,
4,150 00
5,110 06
5,438 38
328 32
Park,
150 00
158 00
228 29
70 29
New school-houses,
2,500 00
2,500 00
3,147 50
647 50
Sewers,
3,500 00
4,530 30
4,220 06
Permanent improvements,
4,000 00
4,000 00
5,308 69
1,308 69
New roads,
1,000 00
1,000 00
1,412 44
412 44
City debt,
23,000 00
23,000 00
Interest account,
10,000 00
10,000 00
9,870 29
Paving,
7,000 00
7,000 00
6,400 11
Repair on school-houses,
600 00
600 00
480 21
Gravel-pit,
4,500 00
6,900 00
4,500 00
Salaries,
2,765 00
2,765 00
2,765 00
Abatements,
1,500 00
1,500 00
2,065 18
565 18
Discount on taxes,
4,000 00
4,000 00
4,339 15
439 15
$117,065 65
$161,706 92
$168,349 77
$11,234 37
Total balance, $4,591.52. Net amount overdrawn is $6,642,85.
The highway appropriation was overdrawn by reason of unforeseen expendi- tures. Owing to unusually heavy snow-storms the expenses of the street department in December, 1890, and January and February, 1891, were $5,200, instead of the $3,000 usually adequate. New railings were built by the side of the road in many places at an expense of $1,520.30. Goff and Hampshire streets and Highland avenue had $410.80 of labor done; ledge work at East Auburn cost $175.88, and Sixth street grading cost $157.60. All these were charged to highway appropriations. After the appropriations had been made the city council voted to build a bridge upon the Dennison street extension, at
Need help finding more records? Try our genealogical records directory which has more than 1 million sources to help you more easily locate the available records.