History of Androscoggin County, Maine, Part 106

Author: Merrill, Georgia Drew, ed
Publication date: 1891
Publisher: Boston, W.A. Fergusson & co.
Number of Pages: 1050


USA > Maine > Androscoggin County > History of Androscoggin County, Maine > Part 106


Note: The text from this book was generated using artificial intelligence so there may be some errors. The full pages can be found on Archive.org (link on the Part 1 page).


Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5 | Part 6 | Part 7 | Part 8 | Part 9 | Part 10 | Part 11 | Part 12 | Part 13 | Part 14 | Part 15 | Part 16 | Part 17 | Part 18 | Part 19 | Part 20 | Part 21 | Part 22 | Part 23 | Part 24 | Part 25 | Part 26 | Part 27 | Part 28 | Part 29 | Part 30 | Part 31 | Part 32 | Part 33 | Part 34 | Part 35 | Part 36 | Part 37 | Part 38 | Part 39 | Part 40 | Part 41 | Part 42 | Part 43 | Part 44 | Part 45 | Part 46 | Part 47 | Part 48 | Part 49 | Part 50 | Part 51 | Part 52 | Part 53 | Part 54 | Part 55 | Part 56 | Part 57 | Part 58 | Part 59 | Part 60 | Part 61 | Part 62 | Part 63 | Part 64 | Part 65 | Part 66 | Part 67 | Part 68 | Part 69 | Part 70 | Part 71 | Part 72 | Part 73 | Part 74 | Part 75 | Part 76 | Part 77 | Part 78 | Part 79 | Part 80 | Part 81 | Part 82 | Part 83 | Part 84 | Part 85 | Part 86 | Part 87 | Part 88 | Part 89 | Part 90 | Part 91 | Part 92 | Part 93 | Part 94 | Part 95 | Part 96 | Part 97 | Part 98 | Part 99 | Part 100 | Part 101 | Part 102 | Part 103 | Part 104 | Part 105 | Part 106 | Part 107 | Part 108


858


HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.


Ephraim K. Smart, 149. 1866. June 9, authorized the issue of six per cent. bonds to fund the town debt, to be redeemable within 15 years. 1871. September 11, voted to exempt from taxation, for ten years, any wholesale boot and shoe factory, located in town, with a capital of $1,000 or more. 1880. December 8, voted to exempt from taxation, for five years, the steam mill, machinery, and stock owned by G. T. Piper. 1891. Valnation, $413,877. Number of taxable polls, 323. The resources of the town amount to $2,048.08; liabilities, $1,177.54.


Early Mills (for water-powers see page 42). - The first mills were grist and saw mills, erected near the outlet of Long pond, by Deacon Livermore, before 1783. These were later owned in whole or in part in succession by Otis Robinson, Henry Bond, Lt Samuel Benjamin, Nathaniel Dailey, James Parker, Eli Putnam, Thomas Rich, and Jacob Gibbs, by whose name they were called for many years. Saw, fulling, and carding mills (and later a grist-mill) were erected in 1812 on Mill stream, above the interval, by John Fuller who came in 1795 with his brothers, Isaac and Abram. He died in 1829, aged 85. Isaac, a Revolutionary soldier, kept the ferry (later called Hillman's) at the interval for a long time, dying in 1851, aged 82. These were called Fuller's Mills for years, and later conducted by John A. Kimball. Gen. David Learned built a saw-mill at the outlet of Bartlett's pond, about 1800. Joseph Horsley erected saw and fulling mills, in 1804, on Bog brook, which brought custom from Bethel and other distant points. The power at the foot of Turner's (Brettun's) pond was early occupied by Deacon Livermore, who built saw and grist mills. Samuel Park made scythes at the Falls. Ichabod Boothby 1 made scythe-snaths, and Henry Aldrich was in the same business at Brettun's Mills.


Early Traders and Tradesmen. - The first trader was Gen. David Learned, in a small store just south of the Norlands Church. He was succeeded, in 1805, by Artemas Leonard, from Raynham, who removed it to the Dr Hamlin place. Israel Washburn, also from Raynham, in 1809, purchased Leonard's farm and business and conducted trade until 1829. Samuel Morison, Samuel F. Fuller, and Francis F. Haines were early traders on the east side. Besides Joseph Stone, Captain Alpheus Kendall had a tannery at the foot of Bartlett's pond. This did a large business. John Smith, in 1817, started a tannery near Livermore Falls, which has done business until the present. Thomas Wing was an early mill-wright and carpenter. Isaiah Keith and Otis and Ebenezer


1 Ichabod Boothby came early from Scarborough. He was a stage driver, and drove the first stage on the line from Saco to Brunswick, and had charge of a box containing the gold and silver to establish the first bank in Bath. Mr Boothby lived in the south part and built a scythe-snath factory, which he conducted for 50 years. He was born in 1789 and died 1868, a useful and honest citizen. He married Charlotte Knight. Their children were: Levi P., of Waterville; Charles H. and Eleazer B., of Livermore; David S., of Auburn; Prudence (dec.). Charles HI. Boothby married Betsey Wheeler Hescock, of Jay. Children: Frank H .; Charles H., of Portland; Fred D. (dec.); Cora P .; Annie C .; Ernest R .; George L., of Montana; Lillian M .; Ora W .; Harold A. Frank H. Boothby, born April 13, 1852, married Carrie M. Young, of North Rumford. He owns and conducts a farm of 60 acres ; has been a justice of the peace for 9 years; is a popular insurance agent, and an adjuster and one of the directors of the Maine Mutual Accident Association of Portland.


859


TOWN OF LIVERMORE.


Pray were mill-wrights. David Morse was a carpenter and joiner, a mason, and a mill-wright. They lived in the south part on the old main road. Col Elias Morse, his son, was also a carpenter. Ebenezer Hinds (1801), Abner and Samuel P. Holman, Nathaniel Soper, Obededom Brown, Samuel Boothby, Alfred Parker, Zebedee Rose, Apollos Jones, Samuel Hersey were carpenters. The early blacksmiths were Otis Robinson, Capt. Jonathan Morse, David Read, Wm Sanders, Nathan Bartlett, Jeremiah Bean, Ebenezer Pray, James H. Putnam, and others. Captain Simeon Waters was a saddler. Sylvester Norton, Sarson Chase, and John Sanders were early shoemakers. Kilah Hall, from Raynham, made clocks in the south part of the town. Peter Humphrey was the mason from 1800 till his death, some years later.


LIVERMORE VILLAGE (Brettun's Mills). - The first development of this place was early. Soon after the town was fairly settled, Deacon Elijah Liver- more erected mills, that, bringing people here with their "grists " and saw-logs, soon made it a centre of trade. The mills were later owned by Captain Henry Sawtelle, Nezar Dailey, and William H. Brettun, who bought them in 1810. About this time Ozias Bartlett had a carding mill, later run by John Hanna. Henry Aldrich made scythe-snaths here from 1810 to 1825. Various other industries centered here. Mr Brettun, who had conducted quite a large trade in a store on his farm, threw both energy and capital into developing the village. He built shingle, carding and fulling mills, opened a large stock of goods for sale, made potash, and Brettun's Mills transacted a large amount of business in various lines. About 1836 he removed to Bangor. His son, William H. Brettun, Jr, succeeded him as a merchant, was succeeded in 1852 by Nathaniel Perley. Mr Perley did a fine business for nearly 15 years and was followed by his son, Samuel F. Perley. George T. Piper, a merchant of Strickland's Ferry, came here in 1869, bought out Mr Perley, and, alone and with others, was in trade until 1880. From 1840 to 1870, Abner L. Aldrich, Barzillai Latham, Isaac and Augustus H. Strickland, Samuel B. Holt (who built a store in 1840), Dorillus Morison, G. W. C. Washburn, and others were in trade for long or short periods. About 1865, S. F. Perley transformed the carriage shop of Palmer Elliott1 into a store, which he sold to Mr Piper. J. Fuller & Co. was here in 1870, and George B. Strickland was a partner of Mr Piper (Piper & Strickland) in this store about 1870. W. F. Fuller, son of Eland Fuller (who came from Hartford and was a tailor for years), was a partner of Mr Piper under firm name G. T. Piper & Co. They sold to Roscoe


1 Deacon John Elliott became a resident of Livermore in 1813. His wife was Elizabeth Marble, of Sutton, Mass., where their son, Palmer, was born in 1806. In 1855 Palmer Elliott came to Brettun's Mills, where he erected many houses, and manufactured carriages for 10 years. His daughter. Mary, married John McCormick, son of Patrick and Mary (Lewis) McCormick, born at Gibraltar, Spain. His father was an orderly under Wellington, and came to Maine in 1826. Mr McCormick served three years in the Civil War. He is a Republican, a Methodist, and a farmer, aud belongs to Wilson Post, G. A. R., and Turner Grange.


860


HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.


G. Goding and in a few years bought him out. Since Mr Piper retired in 1880, Mr Fuller has conducted trade alone and is postmaster. Oliver Stevens had a store in 1874 and later. R. F. Gordon traded in 1877 and until 1879. George A. Gordon was in trade some years about 1880. The last trader in the Holt store was P. M. Jones, who went out of trade in 1889.


A brisk business was conducted in the mills from Mr Brettun's day, but no great expansion occurred until after 1870, when the Soule shoe factory employed from 50 to 100 hands for some years, S. V. Young about 25, and business was lively. In 1874 there were two saw-mills with shingle and other machinery, and a grist-mill, operated by water, and a large steam mill, making shook, boxes, and spools, employing numerous hands and carried on by Russell Bros. They were succeeded by Theodore Russell, Jr, the property soon passing into the hands of his father. G. T. Piper sold the grist-mill to Phillips Bros in 1877. In 1881 C. F. Phillips had the grist-mill, A. S. & E. F. Phillips, lumber mills. From 1880, under Mr Piper's operations, times were again brisk. He built a large mill, employed about 50 men in making excelsior, staves, spool stock, and novelty wood-turning. This mill was burned April 5, 1883, rebuilt, and used for novelty wood-turning until June 6, 1888, when it was again burned. A match factory was built in 1890 by Shorey & Sons, but ran only one season. E. F. Phillips now operates the saw-mill, and C. F. Phillips the grist-mill, to which he has just added the making of apple barrels.


Livermore Dairying Association was organized in the spring of 1887, with a paid up capital of $1,500, afterwards increased to $1,800. G. B. Strickland was president, G. A. Gordon secretary, W. F. Fuller treasurer. The factory was completed in a few weeks, and butter-making was commenced June 6, 1887. The value of the annual product is from $12,000 to $18,000. Ship- ments are principally made to the principal cities of Maine and Massachusetts. The superintendent, Mr S. H. Deane, is a graduate of the celebrated Turner factory. Present officers : F. E. Adkins, president; T. Russell, secretary ; W. F. Fuller, treasurer ; D. R. Briggs, C. P. Sanders, D. A. Pollard, members.


The village is pleasantly located in a valley, sheltered from rough winter winds by Bear mountain, and with its three stage routes (one to the ferry, one to Canton, one to Auburn), its two churches, its butter factory, and other industries is still a good centre of trade, from $30,000 to $40,000 worth of goods being sold annually. W. F. Fuller and Mrs R. C. Bryant are the merchants.


NORTH LIVERMORE was of importance early, and the centre of activity was at the " Corner." Col Jesse Stone kept a tavern and a tannery for a long time before 1800, and traded in a small way. He was selectman, justice, and post- master. In 1819 Davis Washburn, from Bangor, built a store and with J. M. Williams, from Taunton, conducted trade here and at Dixfield in an extensive


861


TOWN OF LIVERMORE.


way until his death in 1832.1 Charles Barrell was for a time a partner of Mr Washburn at this place. The Coolidge family has been a long time prominent here. Jefferson and Merritt Coolidge were large merchants, but a half a century ago they moved away ; the first to Buckfield, the latter to Bangor ; later they were wholesale grocers of Portland, and prominent financial men. William Coolidge, who was a long time in trade, moved to Canton and was followed as merchant by Augustus W. Coolidge, whose daughter, Hattie L., is now in trade. Roscoe G. Goding was in trade for a time. F. W. Coolidge is now a merchant. The North Livermore Cheese Factory was organized about 1875, through the efforts of Sewall M. Norton, J. D. and L. B. Thompson, A. W. Coolidge, and others. A factory was built and has been kept in successful operation. S. M. Norton is president of the company. P. S. Gibbs and C. R. Leach are directors.


Charles Alden has a small saw-mill.


With its country quietude, its Masonic society (see page 209), its two stores, its churches, its neat and quaint farm-houses, the little village has a picturesque charm to the stranger and a cordial greeting to those who call it home.


LIVERMORE CENTRE. - This has been quite a section for trade and manu- facturing. The novelty wood-turning business of F. S. Richmond, now operated at Livermore Falls, had its origin here. The manufacture of exten- sion cases, etc., of John L. Cummings was also started here, but the railroad facilities of the Falls drew both away from the place of their birth (see page 589). The Livermore Centre Cheese Factory was organized by Bigelow & Cummings in 1873 and was of great value to the farmers until it was burned in 1888. Mr Cummings conducted trade for 15 years, but removed his business in 1890. He has built a new factory, however, in Livermore, above the bridge. John W. Bigelow,2 Amos Beckler, Millett Cummings, John A. Hayes, and


1 His sons, George W. C. Washburn, of Needham, Mass., and John M. Washburn, of Boston, for 25 years treasurer of the Old Colony Railroad, were prominent men.


2 John Bigelow, of Worcester, Mass., came to Livermore in 1802. His sons, Andrew, John Warren, Joel Howard, and Leander were all good farmers. John W. was born July 15, 1807, and died February 26, 1856. Ile was an intelligent man and a good citizen. John W. Bigelow, son of John W. and Osca (Bradford) Bigelow, was born in Livermore, January 29, 1843. His mother's father, Dr Bradford, was one of the early settlers and first physicians of the town, and of direct descent from Gov. Bradford of Plymouth. Mr Bigelow and his wife, Fannie M., have one daughter, Osca C. He was for 15 years agent and manager of the Livermore Centre Cheese Factory. The factory was burned in 1888, and Mr Bigelow now conducts a private cheese and butter factory, employing five persons. He has been a farmer since 1865, and has a farm of 300 acres, and keeps 10 horses, 30 cows and 6 yearlings, and 50 swine. He takes interest in fine horses, and has some valuable animals, among them the brood mares Dutchess, Dawn A., Kate B., and Annie E .; the stallions, Johnosca (foaled June 31, 1889, sired by Rockefeller) and Norland Wilkes (foaled June 17, 1890, sired by Messenger Wilkes). He also pays attention to fruit growing, and in 1890 harvested 300 barrels of apples. Mr Bigelow is a Democrat and a Spiritualist. He was sergeant in Co. E, 32d Maine, in the Civil War. Joel Howard Bigelow was an intelligent and progressive farmer on a fine farm near the Norlands. He m., first, Caroline Bradford; second, Hannah Lunt. He has two daughters, Caroline B. (Mrs A. H. Jackson) and Ella M. The farm is kept in good condition, and is one of the pleasant and attractive places of the town.


862


HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.


others have been interested in dairying and the factory. H. R. Norton is the merchant and postmaster. S. H. Chase has been established as a dentist for some years in this neighborhood, and is a worthy descendant of some of the earliest families.


The northeast corner of Livermore is developing extensive business, and the village of Livermore Falls is crowding across the bridge into this town. The Umbagog Pulp Co. has this season built a large brick mill on the site of its old mill to produce 50 tons of pulp where it made only 30 in the old one. Various industries are locating, streets are being laid out, and houses built. About 1830, F. F. Haines had a large hemp mill in operation here for some time.


The farmers of Livermore have a strong soil to cultivate, quite rough and stony in many parts, but repaying the diligent worker. Many are in inde- pendent circumstances. There are some fine apple orchards, mostly Baldwins. Among the leading farmers are Sewall M. Norton, Thomas M. Wyman, Irving Thompson (the largest fruit grower), Calvin R. Leach, Adna Goding, Seth D. Washburn, John Sanders, Martin Keith, Edward Pratt, E. C. Fuller, Nathan Timberlake,1 C. F. Pike, Adna Boothby, John O. Palmer,2 Roswell Briggs, Dana Pollard, Samuel Nelson, William Soule, and others.


Early Militia-War of 1812- Ciril War. - Major Thomas Fish, Josiah Wyer, Lt Samuel Benjamin, John Walker, Abial Turner, Elisha Fisher, Lt Samuel Foster, Major Joseph Mills, and perhaps others of the settlers did honorable service in the Revolution before the settlement of Livermore was made, and the martial spirit was soon shown by the formation of militia companies. The first was formed in 1800 and had David Learned for captain (he was later major) ; William Coolidge, lieutenant; Henry Sawtelle, ensign. In 1803 two companies were organized from this one. The one at North Livermore was commanded by Captain Jesse Stone, Lieut Jacob Gibbs, Ensign Thomas Chase, Jr; that at East Livermore by Captain Peter Haines, Lieut Robert Morison, Ensign Theodore Marston. A company was soon formed in South Livermore, Captain Henry Sawtelle, Lient James Starbird, Ensign Joseph Mills. A cavalry troop was formed in 1809, principally in Livermore, but


1.James Timberlake came to Livermore from Raynham, Mass., early, and settled on the farm now owned and occupied by his son, Nathan, and grandson, Asa G. Here were born his children, and here after long years, July 1, 1891, was celebrated the golden wedding of Nathan Timberlake and wife, Adelia (Millett) Timberlake, the youngest child of Zebulon P. and Deliverance (Rich) Millett, of Leeds. Their children are: D. T., a graduate of Bowdoin College in 1870, principal of Lancaster (N. H.) Academy; Lucellus E., foreman of the Morning Mail Co., Lowell, Mass .; Mrs S. G. Shurtleff; Luctta C .; Hon. F. E. Timberlake, attorney for Franklin county; Mrs Lora Chase; Emma A .; Asa G.


2 John O. Palmer, one of the enterprising and progressive farmers of South Livermore, is a son of Humphrey Palmer, of Fayette, and Charlotte (Lyford) Palmer, of East Livermore, and was born in Fayette. Mr Palmer married Abbie R., a daughter of Deacon John Lane, of Leeds. Of their six children, two sons survive: Irving O., a graduate of Colby University, and at present principal of the high school at Wareham, Mass., and George L., who resides on the home farm. Mr Palmer is a Republican in his politics, and represented Livermore in the legislature in 1885 and 1889. He and his wife are members of the First Baptist Church. He is a member of Oriental Star Lodge, F. & A. M., and of Turner Grange, P. of H., and has served as chaplain in both orders. His farm is a model of neatness and thrift.


863


TOWN OF LIVERMORE.


with men from Turner, Jay, and Dixfield. Officers: Captain Samuel Atwood,1 Lieut Isaac Talbot (Turner), Cornet Aaron S. Barton (Dixfield). This was a crack company of the seetion for years. Among the later captains were Simeon Waters, Daniel and Elisha Coolidge, Alpheus Kendall, Isaac and Hastings Striekland, Otis Pray, M. M. Stone, Hezekiah Atwood, Rufus Hewett, etc. War of 1812. - Two companies of militia served at Portland. They were commanded by Captain Elias Morse and Ensign Henry Aldrich, and Captain William Morison and Lient Thomas Davis. The regimental officers from Livermore were Joshua Soule, chaplain; James Chase, adjutant; Henry Wood, quartermaster; John Briggs, paymaster; Cornelius Holland, surgeon. A large number from Livermore served in the regular army in this war. Action in the Civil War. - In the Civil War Livermore con- tributed her full quotas of volunteers, 94 in all, made generous provision for the families of her absent soldiers, and cheerfully paid all liabilities incurred on account of the war. The town records say: 1862. April 19, the selectmen were directed to furnish aid to the families of all soldiers, sailors, and marines enlisted in the U. S. service. July 31, voted to pay a bounty of $100 each to all volunteers mustered into the U. S. service, not exceeding 18 in number. August 23, $20 bounty was voted to each man enlisting for nine months, and $80 additional per man was voted September 20. 1863. March 2, $2,000 was voted to pay bounty orders given during the past year. July 20, voted to pay cach drafted soldier $7 per month for the time that he is actually in the U. S. service. November 17, " voted to pay all soldiers enlisted under the last call, $200; $100 when mnstered into service, the other $100 when killed or honorably discharged," and December 5, $100 additional was voted, to be paid when the soldier was mustered in. 1864. September 24, voted to pay a bounty of $300 under the last call. December 17, voted to pay $500 to cach volunteer to fill the quota under the next call for 500,000 men or less for three years' service. 1865. January 3, the seleetmen were authorized to fill the quota under the last call to the best advantage. February 4, voted to pay Samuel F. Perley $250 for a substitute, he being the only citizen furnishing one.


The First Baptist Church in Livermore was constituted August 7, 1793, with these members: Daniel Holman, Pelatiah Gibbs, Isaac Lovewell, Elisha Williams, Otis Robinson, Henry Bond, James Delano, Zebedee Delano, Thomas Wyman, Peter Goding, David Reed, Auna Gibbs, Hannah Robinson, Mary Delano, Susanna Wyman, Grace Delano, Catherine Walker. The first revival was in this year. Mr Zebedee Delano, while on a visit to Winthrop, heard a sermon preached by Elder Case; on his return he was "filled with a sense of his own ways," and subsequently opened the worship of God in his family. Others became converted to his ways, and Elder Case and Mr Smith, of Fayette, aided in this revival, and Mr Smith assisted the church for a short time after its organization. Rev. Sylvanus Boardman and Rev. Ransom Norton were among those whom God called at that time to preach the Word. Mr Delano and Elisha Williams became ministers of this denomination. The first nine years of its life this church had no pastor, but was assisted by occasional preaching ; but it had within itself influential and worthy members,


1 He was born in Dighton, Mass., settled at Brettun's Mills in 1795, later in the west part of the town. He was often in office. Among his children were Captain Hezekiah, Ephraim, Lorenzo, Samuel, and Hepzibalı (m. Artemas Cole, of Buckfield).


864


HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.


who labored much in word and deed for its upbuilding. Isaac Lovewell, an original member, was exceedingly benevolent and liberal; he sustained a large share in the erection of their second house of worship, and, at his death, left $800 to aid the support of the gospel. The First Pastor was Rev. Sylvanus Boardman; he came with the Nortons from Martha's Vineyard. (His son, the distinguished missionary, Rev. George Dana Boardman, was born in Livermore.) He was ordained February 2, 1802, and, 1810, by his request, was dismissed from this charge. Mr Boardman was the first settled minister of the town, and obtained, by a vote of the town, the lands reserved for such, a boon which few Baptist ministers in this state ever gained. The church has also enjoyed a portion of the fund arising from other lands designed for the support of the ministry in town. Rev. John Haynes entered upon his duties in May, 1811, and the spiritual welfare of the church was under his successful care until 1822. Rev. David Nutter was here for some nine or ten years from 1824; Rev. R. Milner, 1834; Rev. Nathan Chapman, 1836; Rev. Charles Miller, 1839; Rev. John Billings, 1844; Rev. A. B. Pendleton, 1846; Rev. David Nutter, 1849; Rev. Lucius Bradford, 1853; Rev. William A. Durfee, 1859; Rev. E. S. Fish, 1861; Rev. Carleton Parker, 1871; Rev. J. R. Herrick, 1876; Rev. L. P. Gurney, 1881 ; Rev. W. H. S. Ventres, 1884; Rev. O. Richardson, 1885 ; Rev. G. W. Colby, 1890. Among the active members of the church in its early days were Deacons Ransom Norton, Sarson Chase, Pelatiah Gibbs, William Sanders, John Elliot, Charles Barrell, Ira Thompson, Cyrus Hamlin, Henry Bond, Jesse Kidder, George Chandler, James and Mayhew Chase, William Thompson, James Walker, and Elder Thomas Wyman. The first worshipers held their services in a barn ; then for a time they met in a school-house; then they built a small meeting-house in which they worshiped until 1807, when they erected a new meeting-house at North Livermore. The meeting-house built in 1807 was burned in 1847, and the present one was dedicated in 1848. In the summer and fall of 1871 this house was thoroughly repaired, painted, and carpeted, and a nice chandelier was presented to the church by Arad Thomp- son, of Bangor, and Erastus Thompson, of Hopkinton, Mass., son's of Deacon Ira Thompson, of Livermore.


The Second Baptist Church, occupying the south part of the town, was organized in 1811, with 17 members. It was gathered by the instrumentality of Elder Ransom Norton, who became its pastor, and continued here many years. In 1819 the members built a house of worship, but it was not well located and never finished. In 1842 it was taken down and rebuilt about half a mile north of North Turner bridge. In 1843 the church membership was 35. Elders W. Foss and Martin Leonard supplied a portion of the time between the years 1826 and 1838; Elder William Johnson in 1838; Elder Joseph Hutchinson in 1840 and 1841; in 1842, Elder Samuel Boothby; 1848, Levi Burnham ; 1850, Nathan Mayhew; 1852, R. C. Storr; 1860, E. Richardson; 1864, R. B. Andrews;


865


TOWN OF LIVERMORE.


1868, S. S. Wyman ; 1869, 1870, 1871, 1872, 1873, P. Bond; 1875, S. S. Wyman ; 1876, 1877, A. H. Gould; 1879, 1880, S. S. Wyman.


Methodism. - Jesse Lee preached at the house of Otis Robinson, February 12, 1793, from Romans viii : 13: "For if ye live after the flesh ye shall die." The next Methodist sermon was preached at Deacon Livermore's by Rev. Philip Wager in 1795, when a class was formed. Deacon Livermore gave it hearty support, and from this time there was organized Methodism here. In 1803 Rev. Joshua Soule, then presiding elder and a resident of the town (he was moderator of the annual town meeting in 1812, member of school com- mittee in 1816, and for several years an influential citizen. He was later prominent in religious circles, and a bishop for many years) organized a church and officiated at the first quarterly meeting. This society soon became strong and a church building was built at the Centre. Among the early members were : Deacon Elijah Livermore, wife, and daughter; Samuel Hillman ; Jacob Haskell and wife (subsequently nearly all their children were members); Orrin Haskell (for years a prominent official) ; Samuel Livermore; Simeon Howard ; Captain Baker; Nathan Soule; Col Thomas Chase, Jr; John and Abel Monroe ; John, Robert, and Abel Hayes; Nathaniel Perley and wife ; John Richardson and wife; Mrs Elisha Chenery was one of this carly band and retained her fervor to an age of more than 90 years (her son, Dr Elisha Chenery, was a member of the East Maine Conference); Philemon Hewitt and Samuel Boothby were strong adherents. Pascal P. Morrill, Francis A. and




Need help finding more records? Try our genealogical records directory which has more than 1 million sources to help you more easily locate the available records.