USA > Maine > Androscoggin County > History of Androscoggin County, Maine > Part 4
Note: The text from this book was generated using artificial intelligence so there may be some errors. The full pages can be found on Archive.org (link on the Part 1 page).
Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5 | Part 6 | Part 7 | Part 8 | Part 9 | Part 10 | Part 11 | Part 12 | Part 13 | Part 14 | Part 15 | Part 16 | Part 17 | Part 18 | Part 19 | Part 20 | Part 21 | Part 22 | Part 23 | Part 24 | Part 25 | Part 26 | Part 27 | Part 28 | Part 29 | Part 30 | Part 31 | Part 32 | Part 33 | Part 34 | Part 35 | Part 36 | Part 37 | Part 38 | Part 39 | Part 40 | Part 41 | Part 42 | Part 43 | Part 44 | Part 45 | Part 46 | Part 47 | Part 48 | Part 49 | Part 50 | Part 51 | Part 52 | Part 53 | Part 54 | Part 55 | Part 56 | Part 57 | Part 58 | Part 59 | Part 60 | Part 61 | Part 62 | Part 63 | Part 64 | Part 65 | Part 66 | Part 67 | Part 68 | Part 69 | Part 70 | Part 71 | Part 72 | Part 73 | Part 74 | Part 75 | Part 76 | Part 77 | Part 78 | Part 79 | Part 80 | Part 81 | Part 82 | Part 83 | Part 84 | Part 85 | Part 86 | Part 87 | Part 88 | Part 89 | Part 90 | Part 91 | Part 92 | Part 93 | Part 94 | Part 95 | Part 96 | Part 97 | Part 98 | Part 99 | Part 100 | Part 101 | Part 102 | Part 103 | Part 104 | Part 105 | Part 106 | Part 107 | Part 108
37
THE ANDROSCOGGIN RIVER.
to 17 square miles of basin. At the low stage of the river, water from Umbagog lake reaches Lewiston in from 36 to 48 hours. If the mean volume of water that can, in the present state of the reservoirs, be commanded on the river, in the low run of summer, from Rumford falls to the tide, be assumed to be 75,000 cubic feet per minute for 11 hours per day, the total power of this section of the river is 85,200 horse-power, gross measurement, for the hours specified, or 3,747,600 spindles.
WATER POWERS .- That valuable compilation, " Wells's Water Power of Maine," published in 1869, gave, from authentic and official information, closely accurate statistics concerning all privileges of water-power in this county. We extract this portion as it gives a full description of the powers that have brought so much wealth and prosperity to this section, and a state- ment of the manufacturing condition at that day. The development since belongs to the history of the towns.
Auburn .- Auburn falls is on the Little Androscoggin river, immediately east of the Grand Trunk railway. The foot of the falls is about one-fourth of a mile from the Androscoggin river. The total height is 70 feet, obtained in a running distance of 150 rods. The bottom of the stream is a solid ledge, and affords unsurpassed sites for the firm establishment of dams. The banks are steep and ledgy, and offer good sites for mills. The volume of water employed at Mechanic Falls is, as reported, nearly 20,000 cubic feet per minute for the ordinary manufacturing hours at the low stage of water. It is probably reasonable to infer the low run at Auburn to be 22,000 feet per minute for the same hours, as the contributions of several ponds improved for reservoirs as well as of various streams are received below Mechanic Falls. This would give a gross power of 2,780 horse on the whole fall or 114,800 spindles. This result, so remarkable for a stream which drains only 280 square miles, is obtained by the improvement of its numerous and capacious reservoirs whose capacity is not yet fully developed. There are a saw-mill, box-mill, and batting-mill on the privilege ; these operate all the year.
The power on Taylor brook, the outlet of Taylor pond, which covers about two square miles, has four feet of storage ; about fifty rods from the Maine Central railroad track, twelve feet fall ; is capable of carrying three runs of flour-stones under a nine-foot head in the summer months.
Ryerson's Privilege on the Little Androscoggin river is eight miles below Mechanic Falls, and three miles from Lewiston. Twenty feet head can be had. There is no improvement. There were formerly a saw-mill, grist-mill, a shingle and clapboard machine owned by Nicholas Ryerson. This privilege is in receipt of all the water commanded at Mechanic Falls, and the available power is inferred to be about 840 horse-power or 33,000 spindles.
Near the outlet of the Little Wilson pond is a saw-mill. The pond is used for a reservoir. There is also a saw-mill below, near Wilson Pond (Lake
38
HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.
Auburn). At the outlet of this body of water there is a fall of seven feet, which can be increased to twelve ; here are peg, saw, grist, and box mills, and a furniture factory. The pond covers 1,968 acres, upon which a head of eight feet is commanded.
Lewiston .- Five powers. First; Lewiston Falls, on the Androscoggin river twenty miles above its junction with the Kennebec and forty miles by the river from the ocean. They are formed by gneiss and mica schist, crossing the river diagonally, and so extended as to form the bottom and sides of the stream above and below the falls and projecting above the water in several small rocky islets that serve as abutments to the dams. The natural fall is thirty-eight feet, which, with dams of an average height of about twelve feet, produces an available power of fully fifty feet head. This descent is attained in a hori- zontal distance of 600 feet. The volume of water at its lowest stage is 94,000 cubic feet per minute, eleven hours a day. The water is under such perfect control that the total run of the river in drouth is economized, none going to waste by night or on Sundays. The enormous increase in the volume of water now used is 58,000 cubic feet per minute. At lowest run, 8,900 horse-power, gross measurement, or 356,000 spindles. Of this 5,450 horse-power is now in use. The available power can be doubled or trebled, as required. It is perfectly seeure against all possible contingencies of ice or flood. Total range from lowest to highest water on the dams is about eight feet. The land also is exceedingly favorable for the location of manufacturing establishments, there being two natural levels on the margin of the river, the lower allowing twenty- two feet fall, the upper twenty-eight feet, and there being also abundant room for factories employing the whole power. Briek and stone are easily pro-
curable. There are four dams 850 feet in aggregate length, guard locks with seven sluiceways nine by twelve feet; main canal sixty-four feet in average breadth in the clear, and designed for twelve feet depth of water; cross canal forty feet broad in the clear, ten feet of water. The dams and guard locks are constructed of split granite in the most solid manner. The power is owned by the Franklin Company.
The various manufacturing companies now in occupation of the power are:
Bates Manufacturing Company, incorporated in 1850; commenced operations in 1852 ; capital stock, $1,000,000; two cotton mills; one woolen; 40,000 spindles; eight sets of machinery; 850 females and 350 males employed; 800 horse-power; six turbine water- wheels; buildings, brick; annual cotton production, 5,707,372 yards cloth (1,417,949 pounds) ; woolen, 226,155 yards cloth (146,912 pounds).
Hill Manufacturing Company, incorporated in 1850; commenced operations in 1854; capital stock, $700,000; two mills; 51,200 spindles; 800 females and 200 males employed ; 800 horse-power; four turbine water-wheels ; brick buildings; annual production, 7,037,353 yards of cotton cloth (1,753,770 pounds).
Androscoggin Mills, incorporated and commenced operations in 1860; capital stock, $1,000,000; two mills of brick; 50,000 spindles ; 788 females and 312 males employed; 800
.
39
THE ANDROSCOGGIN RIVER.
horse-power ; five turbine water-wheels ; 6,500,000 yards cotton cloth manufactured a year, equal to 1,750,000 pounds, and 1,800,000 grain bags weighing as many pounds.
Continental Mills, incorporated in 1865; commenced operations in 1866; capital stock, $900,000; one mill of brick; 27,000 spindles; 395 females and 175 males employed; 440 horse-power; three turbine water-wheels; 5,600,000 yards of cotton cloth manufactured per year, weight 1,400,000 pounds.
Franklin Company, incorporated in 1854; commenced operations in 1857. This com- pany owns the water-power, canals, and land around the falls on both sides of the river, and several hundred acres of land around the more thickly settled portion of the city. It owns the Lincoln Mill, of 20,000 spindles; 285 females and 143 males employed; two turbine water-wheels; cotton goods are manufactured; 2,800,000 yards per year (750,000 pounds) ; the grist-mill building, occupied by Bradley & Co., flour and meal manufacturers; D. Cowan & Co., manufacturers of woolen and cotton yarns, employing 27 females and 25 males; H. H. Dickey, manufacturer of belting and covering rollers, employing 10 men ; three turbine water-wheels; a saw-mill occupied by S. R. Bearce & Co., manufacturers of lumber; five water-wheels ; Lewiston Bleachery and Dye Works, occupied by N. W. Farwell ; capacity for bleaching and dyeing eight tons per day ; 14 females and 204 males employed ; one turbine water-wheel; several machine shops; two turbines.
Lewiston Mills, incorporated and commenced operations in 1853 ; capital stock, $500,000 ; two mills of brick; 17,880 spindles; 460 females and 211 males employed; 450 horse-power ; three turbine water-wheels; cotton and jute manufactured ; 764,619 yards cloth (1,241,776 pounds) per year; jute used, 1,679,281 pounds ; cotton and jute bags, 1,233,423 per year.
Lewiston Falls Manufacturing Company, incorporated and commenced operations in 1834; John M. Frye, agent; capital stock, $60,000; two mills, brick and wood; six sets of machinery; 45 females and 40 males employed; two water-wheels; 225,000 yards of woolen cloth manufactured per year.
Lewiston Lower Power of 1,500 horse, two miles below Lewiston Falls on the Androscoggin river, has not been improved. Two miles up the river at Deer Rips there is unimproved power of at least 2,500 horse; the two together are sufficient to drive cotton mills containing 250,000 spindles. Barker's Mills on Barker's Mill stream, fall twenty feet in twenty rods, has a saw-mill and a grist-mill ; both operate three months, and the grist-mill nearly the whole year. Stream fed by Berry pond. Owned by J. B. Ham & Co. The privilege at the outlet of Nonanae pond falls twelve feet in twelve rods and has power sufficient to drive one run of stones the whole year. The pond is flowed a little and can be flowed so as to cover 300 acres.
.
Lisbon .- Eight powers. One at Lisbon Falls on the Androscoggin river in the southeast corner of the town. There were originally two falls about 900 feet apart, giving together a natural fall of thirty-one feet in the 1,800 feet, which is increased by the elevation of the dam to thirty-three fect. The upper fall, just below which the dam was located, is formed by a ledge of granite making directly across an island about 300 feet distant to the opposite shore 650 feet farther. This ledge extends for more than half a mile down the river on both sides, giving the best possible foundation for manufacturing establishments. The dam is in two sections each resting on the island. It
40
HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.
is built on the ledge about eight feet lower than the brow of the natural fall, and having an average height of ten feet, raises the water but two feet above its natural level. It is constructed of hewn timber in crib-work, the lower tier fitted to the irregularities in the ledge, and firmly secured with bolts. The eribs are filled with roek-ballast and covered with hard-wood plank. The whole work and materials were designed to make it equal or superior to any dam in the country not built of stone, and it is believed to be strong enough to withstand any force to which it may be subjected. The volume of water in the dry season, estimated from that at Lewiston with allowance for the addi- tions of the Little Androscoggin and Sabattus rivers, is 122,000 cubic feet of water per minute, during working time of eleven hours per day, six days in the week.
The improvement of the lakes by which the run of water at Lewiston would be increased, would operate to the same extent in favor of the power at this point. Without any increase in the dry season the power is equal to 7,623 horse-power gross or 305,000 spindles. But a trifling amount of this. large power is yet in use. The expense of making the balance available has been pronounced by competent engineers very small compared with other points with the same extent of power. The lay of the land is favorable for manufacturing establishments, with sufficient room for utilizing the whole power. The power is owned by the Androscoggin Water Power Company.
The only company in occupation of the power is the Worumbo Manufact- uring Company, incorporated in 1861 with a capital stock of $250,000. There are two mills with ten sets of cards ; all-wool beavers are manufactured. One hundred males and seventy-five females are employed ; pay-roll, $6,500 ; 150 horse-power is used, and two turbine water-wheels; annual production, 120,000 yards six-fourths wide (225,000 pounds) of finished cloth. Building materials, both stone and wood, are readily obtained. The Water Power Company owns two saw-mills supplied with abundance of pine and hemlock from the sur- rounding country. A slight elevation in the reservoir above the dam would make the power nearly double that used at Lewiston.
There are two privileges at Factory village on Sabattus river owned by N. W. Farwell. The upper one has a fall of ten feet; is under im- provement ; a double turbine wheel is used; power, 175 horse. The lower fall has an old grist-and-saw-mill ; fall, twenty feet; power, 325 horse. The stream is connected with great Sabattus pond with supply of water constant and freshets not destructive. At Lisbon Plains on the same river about one-third of a mile from the Androscoggin river is an unimproved power of twenty feet fall, owned by B. Farnsworth and others. About one-fourth of a mile above is a fall of twelve feet, the property of the Paper Company. The mill built in 1866 manufactures one and a half tons newspaper per day; machinery best quality. Next above is the property of the Farnsworth
41
THE ANDROSCOGGIN RIVER.
Manufacturing Company ; fall, thirteen feet ; a woolen mill built in 1865 has first-class machinery and manufactures 30,000 yards per month of "three- fourths " goods; spare power except in drouth. The seventh and eighth powers are on Little river, near its junction with the Androscoggin.
Durham has three water-powers. One on the outlet of a small pond in the western part of the town has a grist-mill, and a saw-mill which cuts 40,000 feet yearly ; one in the northeast part on a small stream has a grist and shingle mill. One near Southwest Bend has grist, saw, shingle and clapboard mills which cut 40,000 feet of boards annually. The mills work about eight months in the year.
Webster .- There are four powers on Sabattus pond. First fall, twelve feet ; second, fourteen feet; third, twelve feet; fourth, eighteen feet. Dams and mills upon each fall ; the mills operate all of the year ; a large amount of unused power; privileges all owned in town. Sabattus pond covers four square miles and is dammed. Its reservoir capacity could be much increased. Stream safe and constant with abundant water throughout the year. The power may be inferred, as below at Factory Fall in Lisbon, 175-horse is secured on a ten-foot fall with a turbine wheel. There is building stone on the fourth fall only, abundant and good. Land upon each of the falls level and convenient for the location of mills. One-third of the basin covered by woods.
Greene .- There are four water-powers. One on Sabattus stream with fifteen feet fall from top of dam to vent of wheels; two-thirds of the fall is secured by the dam. Another is on Meadow brook where a saw and shingle mill is operated fall and spring. There are two powers on the outlet stream of Allen's pond which are more valuable than the others; formerly there were grist, shingle, and carding mills upon them. The fall is twenty and twenty- five feet. The water holds out the year round with an excellent chance for dams. A saw-mill operates four months in the year, and a grist-mill all the year. No damage from freshets; annual production, $7,000.
Leeds has eight water-powers. On Cushman's mill"stream are grist-mills, in former years used only for saw-mills. Fifty rods below are shingle machines, etc. One on Coffin's mill stream ; here are saw and shingle mills. That on Bridgham stream is unimproved, but had formerly a grist and a carding mill. There was formerly a grist-mill on Mason brook ; power not used. There is a shingle mill on a small stream in the north part of the town. Two powers are unused; one in the northwest part operates a shingle-mill, and a small but good power in southwest part where was formerly a saw-mill. These powers, though not large, are susceptible of more use. Androscoggin pond on the confines of Leeds is connected with the Androscoggin river by Dead stream, and as the pond lies on the same level as the river the waters flow in and out according to the stage of the river. Could be stored at high water and held for reserve.
42
HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.
East Livermore .- A privilege with small power on Johnny brook works about half the time. There is a similar one on Norris's brook. Livermore Falls on the Androscoggin has a natural fall twenty-two feet in thirty rods, upper fall fourteen feet, then eight feet fall in thirty rods. The dam located on the crest of the upper fall is seven feet high, making the total head and fall twenty-nine feet. It can be raised seven feet. The power due to the total available fall (thirty-six feet), the volume of water being assumed fifteen per cent. less than at Lewiston, or 79,900 cubic feet per minute at the lowest run, is 5,436 horse-power gross, or 217,400 spindles. In 1867 the proprietors built a very excellent dam of crib work filled in with stone in its whole extent (as strong a construction as can be made except of split granite) with a view to future enlargement, and it can be raised seven feet without damage to flowing. The land on both sides of the river is peculiarly well adapted to the location of manufacturing establishments. The rock in the immediate vicinity of the falls is fit for foundation and other rough work. Excellent granite is abundant within two miles. Building bricks of excellent quality were delivered at the Falls in 1868 for six dollars per thousand. Of the 5,436 horse-power probably not over one hundred is in use which operates a saw- mill, grist-mill, and some small establishments. The Rocomeka Company is the chief proprietor of the power. It owns the saw-mill, and a building eighty by thirty feet, three stories high, and a fifty-horse steam-boiler attached for heating purposes. This privilege is regarded as next to Lewiston in sum of power, but not in availability and facilities for improvement.
Livermore. - Twelve powers. Five on a stream from Long pond. A saw-mill near the outlet, with a fall of nine feet; 600 square inches of water- in use; a grist-mill below, with a fall of twelve feet; 300 square inches of water; pill-box factory has a fall of ten feet; a rake factory, fall twelve feet ; a saw-mill, fifteen feet fall. On a stream from Turner pond at the outlet is an unimproved power; fall, eight feet; capacity, 1,200 square inches. A short distance below is a grist-mill; fall, fifteen feet; capacity, 1,200 square inches of water; center-vent wheels. On the same stream, opposite the mill, is an unimproved privilege, with equal capacity to that of the grist-mill. These three privileges are owned by Hollis Turner, Esq. Just below the grist-mill is a building with various saws; the fall is nine fect; capacity, 2,500 square inches. This mill does a good business at flood of water, spring and fall. Ownership, Lewiston Company. About half a mile below, on the same stream, this company owns another water-power, not improved, equal to or better in many respects, than the improved one. There are two smaller powers on separate streams with a shingle-mill on each.
Turner .- Turner Centre falls on the Androscoggin ten miles above Lew- iston has twelve feet fall ; excellent opportunity for canals and dam ; hard bottom and banks; abundant stone. If the volume of water at low run be
43
THE ANDROSCOGGIN RIVER.
assumed to be five per cent. less than at Lewiston, or 89,300 cubic feet per minute for eleven hours per day, the gross power of the fall is about 2,030 horse, or 81,200 spindles. The power can be vastly increased by reservoirs.
North Turner falls at North Turner bridge, sixteen miles above Lewiston, fall thirteen feet. The natural force of the water is so great that a saw- mill has been run here by its means. The sites for mills are excellent, and canal facilities of the best. An island in the river diminishes the required length of dam. If the volume of water at low run be assumed as ten per cent. less than at Lewiston, or 84,600 cubic feet per minute for eleven hours a day, the gross power of the fall at thirteen feet is 2,080 horse-power, or 83,200 spindles. There are six powers at Turner, viz. : one on Martin stream at outlet of Bear pond ; saw-mill can cut 600,000 feet annually ; fall ten feet ; one at North Turner village three-fourths of a mile below, lumber, grist, and carding mills, and carriage factory, could cut a million feet annually ; fall ten fcet. At Chase's Mills there is a saw-and-shingle-mill, and hub and bowl factory. On Twenty-Mile river at Turner village there is a woolen factory, grist-mill, lumber-mill, and carriage factory doing a large amount of business ; fall about twelve feet. At Bradford village on the same river there is a fall of twelve feet. This power is capable of a large amount of business if properly improved. At the mouth of Twenty-Mile river is a fall of eleven feet, with saw and grist mill ; power enough for more business.
Minot and Poland .- There are four powers on the Little Androscoggin river. First, Mechanic Falls; fall, thirty-seven feet in 950 feet distance ; velocity of current ninety-six feet per minute. Area of cross section 270 square feet. Power not half improved ; partially improved in paper making. There is a first-class stone dam at the head of the fall ; a wooden dam midway and space for another dam below. Power is owned by A. C. Denison & Co. The mills operate all the year. On the upper dam, fourteen feet head, eleven turbine wheels now operate of 405 horse-power; hence the volume of water for the working hours of the day must be equal to 20,000 cubic feet per minute, and the power of the whole fall for the same hours, 1,053 horse. Second, Page's Mills has a fall of fourteen feet in 1,500 feet distance. Volume of water same as at Mechanic Falls less Waterhouse brook, which is 3,000 cubic feet per minute. Power partially improved in sawing lumber, in the manufacture of sash and doors, and grist-mill; mills operate all the year; power owned by Moses Page and A. A. Bucknam. Third, Hackett's Mills has a fall thirteen feet in 250. Volume of water same as at Mechanic Falls plus Bog brook, 1,500 cubic feet per minute. Improved in part in saw-mills ; power owned by J. T. Waterman and Willard Buck ; mills operate all the year. Fourth, Minot Corner; fall, eleven and one-half feet in 500 run. Volume of water same as at Hackett's Mills, with the addition of a small tributary. Improved in part by saw and grist mills, which operate all the
44
HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.
year. Owned by A. S. Freeman, Willard Buck, and others. Sites for building upon the privileges excellent. Freshets harmless, the reservoirs holding back the great body of water.
Minot. - The other three powers here are Faunee's Mill, on Bog brook ; fall, twelve and one-half feet in fifty feet; operates part of the year. West Minot falls, on Bog stream ; fall, twenty-two and one-half feet in five hundred feet. Hilburn falls, on Bog stream: power not used. The first and second are partially improved in saw-mills and a planing-mill. The stream will run the planing-mill all the year. One-third of the basin covered with woods.
Poland. - Three powers. Poland Corner privilege on Waterhouse brook; fall, eighteen feet in 350 feet; velocity of current, 100 feet per minute ; area of cross section, thirty square feet; improved in part by a grist-mill and saw-mill; a good stone dam across the head of the falls ; mills operate all the year. Shaker mill; fall, forty-two feet in 250 feet distance ; a thirty-foot overshot wheel runs a large amount of machinery all the year for grinding, sawing, planing, machine shops, carding, etc. West Poland Mill Company, on Saunders's brook; an eighteen-foot overshot wheel, saw-mill, operating half the year. Power could be increased to some extent by flowing meadows.
CHAPTER IV.
ABORIGINAL TRIBES AND HISTORY.
BY J. G. ELDER.
HE early voyagers on the coast of Maine, Gosnold, Pring, and Weymouth, were strongly impressed with the peculiar character, manners, and customs of the aboriginal inhabitants. They were, in some respects, unlike any people seen by the natives of Europe, although they were regarded by them as closely allied to the people of the East. Their descriptions of this new-found race are brief but quite exact, and one of them - Weymouth -kid- napped several of the natives and carried them to England, in order that those who were interested in colonization might learn something of the country and its strange inhabitants. The celebrated Captain John Smith, who visited our coast in 1614, and who had been familiar with the savages of Virginia, refers
45
ABORIGINAL TRIBES AND HISTORY.
to these as being essentially like those of the South. Richard Vines, who was here in 1617-18, mingled much with the Indians, visited their wigwams, was a witness of the great mortality which so decimated the settlements on the New England coast that much of it was abandoned, speaks of their simple habits, their fortitude, and the apparent indifference with which they met their fate.
At this time there were five distinct tribes that occupied what is now the state of Maine. The Sokokis inhabited the valley of the Saco river, but were most numerous near its head waters, their villages being located on the alluvial lands of Fryeburg and Conway, New Hampshire. The Pegwakets and the Ossipees, if not a part of the tribe, were branches of it. In 1725 they were attacked by Captain Lovewell and in a sanguinary and disastrous battle their power was completely broken, and the most of the tribe, disheartened by their misfortunes, retired to Canada.
Need help finding more records? Try our genealogical records directory which has more than 1 million sources to help you more easily locate the available records.