History of Androscoggin County, Maine, Part 58

Author: Merrill, Georgia Drew, ed
Publication date: 1891
Publisher: Boston, W.A. Fergusson & co.
Number of Pages: 1050


USA > Maine > Androscoggin County > History of Androscoggin County, Maine > Part 58


Note: The text from this book was generated using artificial intelligence so there may be some errors. The full pages can be found on Archive.org (link on the Part 1 page).


Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5 | Part 6 | Part 7 | Part 8 | Part 9 | Part 10 | Part 11 | Part 12 | Part 13 | Part 14 | Part 15 | Part 16 | Part 17 | Part 18 | Part 19 | Part 20 | Part 21 | Part 22 | Part 23 | Part 24 | Part 25 | Part 26 | Part 27 | Part 28 | Part 29 | Part 30 | Part 31 | Part 32 | Part 33 | Part 34 | Part 35 | Part 36 | Part 37 | Part 38 | Part 39 | Part 40 | Part 41 | Part 42 | Part 43 | Part 44 | Part 45 | Part 46 | Part 47 | Part 48 | Part 49 | Part 50 | Part 51 | Part 52 | Part 53 | Part 54 | Part 55 | Part 56 | Part 57 | Part 58 | Part 59 | Part 60 | Part 61 | Part 62 | Part 63 | Part 64 | Part 65 | Part 66 | Part 67 | Part 68 | Part 69 | Part 70 | Part 71 | Part 72 | Part 73 | Part 74 | Part 75 | Part 76 | Part 77 | Part 78 | Part 79 | Part 80 | Part 81 | Part 82 | Part 83 | Part 84 | Part 85 | Part 86 | Part 87 | Part 88 | Part 89 | Part 90 | Part 91 | Part 92 | Part 93 | Part 94 | Part 95 | Part 96 | Part 97 | Part 98 | Part 99 | Part 100 | Part 101 | Part 102 | Part 103 | Part 104 | Part 105 | Part 106 | Part 107 | Part 108


S ABATTIS, Sabatis, or Sabattus. 1-This brisk village is at the foot of the lake from which it takes its name, and lies in the northwestern corner of the town. Robert Niles at one time owned nearly all the land in the vicinity of the village known as Niles's Mills. His saw and grist mills were the first, and for many years the only manufacturing industries. At one time he owned and operated two saw-mills and a grist-mill. After his death his sons, Robert, Jeremiah, Russell, and Hiram, conducted the business until they divided the estate. Jeremiah, a joiner by trade, carried on one of the saw-mills


1 This name, generally supposed to be an Indian one, is in reality a corruption of Jean Baptiste, a favorite name among the French Canadians, and given by the early French missionaries to Indian converts as a baptismal name. There is no standard orthography for the name as it has been handed down to us in its changed form, every one spelling it according to his fancy - Sebattus, Sebattis, Sabattis, Sabattus, or Sabatis. The United States authorities named the post-office Sabattus, and this spelling some give to the lake and village. Another favorite spelling is Sabatis.


478


HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.


for a while. Jeremiah's son, Joseph M. Niles, has been a harness manufacturer since 1857, and is now in company with his son, Amasa W. The water-power, given by a succession of falls, was early appreciated, and nearly 100 years ago saw and grist mills were built on the fall of 12 feet (called the first privilege) by the early settlers, Robert Ross, Robert Niles, and others. They were poor affairs, but served the wants of the settlers and lasted many years. They were rebuilt in 1844 by Captain John Lombard and Captain Samuel Watts. In 1864 John Burt purchased the grist-mill and Reuben Drinkwater the saw- mill. In 1881 Retiah D. Jones bought Drinkwater's interest and built the grist-mill he now occupies. Burt sold the grist-mill to Given Jamison and Luther Lombard, who built a grist-mill and later a cotton mill which passed into the ownership of James Hearst, and was sold by David Cowan, his admin- istrator, in 1882 to John Harper who commenced woolen manufacture. In 1888 this also became the property of R. D. Jones, who has allowed it to remain unused. Mr Jones has been in business here since 1845. He then opened a store which he conducted 28 years, and has since been prominently connected with the development of the place. He says that, when he came, " two stores, whose owners swapped horses and sold new rum, molasses, and tobacco, and the old Niles Mills comprised the entire business interests of the place." He now transacts a business of $25,000 annually.


Webster Woolen Company .- This company has a most advantageous location with a water privilege consisting of the entire outlet of Lake Sabattus, whose four miles of area is confined and enlarged by a solid dam, and whose reservoir can be considerably increased, and two falls of 14 and 12 feet respectively. The shipping facilities are also most excellent, the railroad running into the yard of the mill. These things combined with the pure water, healthfulness of climate, and other advantages, place this company in a situation to make the best possible fabrics and place them readily in the market. The mills of this company give employment to about 250 operatives, and have done much towards building up the thriving village, and are largely owned by capitalists of keen shrewdness and financial ability residing out of the state. The mills are large brick structures known as Mill No. 1 and Mill No. 12. Mill No. 1 was built on a fall of 12 feet, in 1860, by Captain Luther Lombard and R. D. Jones, on the site of the old-time saw-mill of John Cushing. This was enlarged in 1864 and operated successfully by James Hearst, a practical woolen manufacturer of experience and energy but of reckless habits and extravagant manner of life. In 1867 Hearst went into bankruptcy, and the mill, after passing through the hands of several owners, was purchased about 1875 by Robert Bleakie & Co., of Hyde Park, Mass., and John S. Bleakie became manager. Good work was done and a successful business conducted. July 1, 1889, the Webster Woolen Company was organized with $100,000, and Charles Bigelow, of Boston, an incorporator of


479


TOWN OF WEBSTER.


the company, became general manager, and under his personal supervision the high character of the product is maintained and the amount steadily increased. The company manufactures fancy cassimeres, using about 3,500 pounds of American wool daily. Mill 13 was built in 1869 on the second power of Sabattus river, on the site of one of the first woolen mills in the county (built in 1846 by a Lewiston company, among which William R. Frye and Dr Alonzo Garcelon were prominent). This was burned in 1856, and in 1869 the present mill was built by R. D. Jones. It was conducted by him until 1881 when it was purchased by Robert Bleakie & Co., and is now the property of the Webster Woolen Company, and operated by it. Two four-feet Rodney Hunt water wheels and a 60 horse-power engine furnish power at Mill No. 1, and a 40 horse-power engine is in use at Mill No. 1}. 180 male and 70 female operatives are employed ; 150 of them at Mill No. 1, and 100 at Mill 1}. The pay-roll amounts to over $100,000 yearly. Seven months of the year heavy- weight goods are made, the product being 7,000 yards & width. During the remaining five months, light-weight goods are produced, the product being from 8,000 to 9,000 yards § width. Charles A. Amback is superintendent of Mill No. 1, and J. Frank Vose of Mill No. 1}. Both are experienced woolen workers, and the character of the product is above criticism. This second power has a fall of 14 feet, and here was built a saw-mill in 1867 and a man- ufactory of "excelsior " was connected with it for some years. J. Frank Vose now owns this property, and it does good business both as a saw and grist mill.


Charles A. Amback, son of Frank H. and Caroline Amback, was born in Greiz, Germany, March 8, 1842, and came to America with his father in 1856. He had learned hand-loom weaving before he left Germany, and learned power-loom weaving in Pittsfield, Mass. From 1866 to 1873 he worked in the Worumbo Mills at Lisbon Falls, and from 1873 to 1875 was foreman of the weave-room in the mill at Sabattus under J. S. Bleakie as superintendent, and has been superintendent since Mr Bleakie purchased the mill in 1875. Mr Amback is an Advent in his religious preferences, an Independent in politics, tied to the platform of no political party, but supporting the man who will best serve the interests of the people.


Edwin Woodside, son of Calvin and Emily ( Whittum) Woodside, was born in Wales, June 2, 1840, was educated in the common schools of Wales and at the Maine State Seminary. He then taught school two years, traveled in the West for four years, lecturing on astronomy. In 1869 he went into trade in Sabatis, and has prospered in business and now has three stores, one a grocery, hardware, and boot and shoe store, one a drug store, and one a millinery and fancy goods store, business amounting to $20,000 a year. He is a Republican in politics, and is postmaster. He has been supervisor of schools in Webster, and a member of the common council of Lewiston. He married Sarah A. Wadlin, of Northport, in January, 1871. They have one son, Tileston.


480


HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.


G. W. Sawyer has been in business in Sabattus for 13 years. He keeps groceries and dry goods, and does over $5,000 worth of business a year.


Benjamin F. Dennison, son of Benjamin L. and Lucy (Brown) Dennison, of Freeport, was born in that town June 28, 1846. A pioneer of the family, who emigrated from England in 1767, located in Freeport early. Mr Dennison has been in trade 16 years in Sabattus ; he bought out C. C. Crockett, October 8, 1874, and married Alma Goddard October 18, located at Sabattus and commenced business November 23, with a small stock of groceries and provisions, and some small wares and fancy goods. He was a good financier, a faithful trader, was popular with his customers, and with the aid of his capable wife, in five years was able to purchase two building lots, and erected a fine residence, store, and stable. Besides conducting merchandising, Mr Dennison has been prominent in town affairs, etc. He was appointed post- master at Sabattus, November 4, 1885, and continued until June 31, 1890 ; he was chosen a director of the Sabattus Mountain Creamery Corporation of Wales, in December, 1885, re-elected for four years, was chosen agent in 1886, agent and treasurer in 1887, and held these offices until December 25, 1889: he has also been agent for the village, schools, and had the buildings and schools in good working order prior to the adoption of the town system, and was an efficient road agent for two years. Mr Dennison is a Democrat in politics, a Free Baptist in religious belief, and one of the enterprising, pros- perous citizens of the town.


Sabattus Co-operative Association was organized October 1, 1886, and incor- porated November 3, 1886. It commenced operations with 80 members and $1,000 capital, and now carries on trade where it began. The association now has about 130 members, and a capital of over $4,200. An account of stock is taken every six months, and after paying six per cent. on the capital stock, a dividend, usually from eight to 13 per cent. is declared to trading- members on the amount of their purchase. M. C. Webber was general super- intendent of the store until 1891. There are several other business houses, two physicians (Frank E. Sleeper, M.D., located here in 1870 -see page 255), one lawyer, two churches, a good grammar and primary school, masonic and other societies, a railroad station, and several pleasant residences. Three religious organizations, Free Baptists, Adventists, and Roman Catholics, hold regular meetings.


Webster Corner (Webster post-office) is near the south line of the town, where legislation has taken a small square from Lisbon to add to Webster, and, in the carly settlement, was the center of business, its post-office in 1826 having the third amount of receipts in the county -- $53. Here is the fourth power of Sabattus river, and on its magnificent fall of 18 feet Jesse Davis, in 1780, built the first saw and grist mills of the town. While the town was being settled, and while manufacturing was carried on, business activity was


481


TOWN OF WEBSTER.


considerable, but the power is unapplied to any use, and the railroad did not come nearer than Lisbon, and there is now but a small hamlet with one store. A meeting-house was built here in 1827 by the Baptists and Universalists. It later came into possession of the Baptists, whose society was composed of members from Lisbon and this part of Webster, but no religious services have been regularly held by this society for many years. The Spiritualists have quite an active organization with services held regularly.


Among the resident farmers in the southwest part of the town who are worthy of mention are: Kingsbury Donnell, who has been prominent in town affairs, justice of the peace, selectman for many years, and often chairman of the board, and Omar D. Potter, father of Colonel Noel B. Potter, county treasurer, who has also served long on the board of selectmen and is the present chairman, which position he has held since 1888. He also represented the town in the legislature of 1872.


Jerry Crowley Spofford, son of Calvin and Lydia A. (Wentworth) Spofford, is a native of Webster, as were his parents. He is grandson of Phineas Spofford, who came to Webster some time prior to 1788, and settled on the farm now occupied by his grandson, Phineas M. Spofford,1 and great-grandson of Foster Wentworth, who settled in Lisbon about 1791, on the farm now owned by John L. Davis. He is a Republican in politics. He has taught school, been a member of the school committee, is a member of Lewiston Grange, No. 2, and one of the enterprising farmers of his town.


Frank L. Sanborn, son of David S. Sanborn, late of Wales, is a farmer and fruit grower. He occupies the farm about one mile southerly of Sabattus, on the road leading to Lisbon. His grandfather, Benjamin, purchased this farm about 60 years ago, of Samuel True, an early settler and captain of a militia company in the War of 1812. Since its purchase the farm has been in the Sanborn family. Mr Sanborn is one of Webster's energetic and valuable citizens.


Deacon Samuel Cotton Buker, of Webster, is a native of Bowdoinham, where his parents, Caleb and Lydia (Coombs) Buker, were born. He married Sybil Cook, of Madrid. The Buker and Cook families were early settlers of Bowdoinham and Madrid. Deacon Buker is a Republican in his politics, and a Free Baptist in his religious preferences, and has been deacon of the church of that denomination for several years. He is a "tiller of the soil," and has a fine farm, in excellent condition, having a good water supply and a large fruit orchard. It is conveniently situated for church and post-office, either at Webster or Sabatis. Mrs Buker died October 9, 1887. Their children are : Malcom F., married Susie Cole, of Gardiner, and resides on the farm; Marshall D. (dec.) ; Fred M., was educated at Bates College ; and Eva F., a teacher.


1 Three of this family, Sergeant David Spofford, Moody and Greenleaf Spofford, privates, were in the · War of 1812.


482


HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.


Willard M. Robinson, born in Webster in 1841, is fifth in descent from Bryant Robinson, who came from the north of Ireland and settled in Bath, in 1738. John and William came in 1805, and settled on the farm now occupied by Willard M., who married Mary A. Jenkins, of Wales. Their daughter, Angie L., was born in 1867. Mr Robinson is a Republican in politics. Besides the management of his farm, he does considerable carriage painting and repair- ing. He is a member of and an active supporter of the Grange.


Herbert J. Carvill, son of Ezra R., and Dorcas A. (Jordan) Carvill, was born in Wales, in 1855. When he was three years old his parents moved to Lewiston, where they now reside, and Mr Carvill remained until he was 20 years old, having the benefit of its educational advantages. He then attended Litchfield Academy, and took a four years' course at Kent's Hill, teaching school winters. He married Addie A. Campbell, of Litchfield Corners, and now carries on a farm and teaches school winters. He is a Republican politically, was collector and treasurer of Webster from 1884 to 1889, and in 1891. In 1890 he was chosen chairman of the superintending school com- mittee. He is secretary of South Lewiston Grange.


Baptist Church .- This church was constituted with twenty members as the fruits of the occasional ministry of Elders Potter and Macomber in 1794. At a town meeting held November 7, 1796, the clerk recorded : "It was voted to support the gospel agreeably to law in the Baptist order. Twenty-six votes of the Baptist order, eight votes of the Congregational order." In 1822 this church had lapsed and a new organization was demanded. The following application was made :


To Benjamin II. Mace, Esq., one of the Justices of the Peace for the County of Lincoln :


Sir: We, the subscribers, being desirous of incorporating ourselves into a parish or religious society, humbly request you to issue a warrant to some one of our number directing him to notify the remainder of us to meet at some suitable place for the purpose of incorporating ourselves into a parish or religious society to be known by such name and style as we shall hereafter see fit to adopt. Dated at Lisbon this 6th day of September, 1822. Samuel Dearing, Peter Garcelon, Dennis Dearing, Joshua Jordan, Robert Jordan, Joshua Robinson, Valentine Jordan, John Cushing, Jeremiah A. Niles, William Eaton, Samuel True, Mark Garcelon, Charles Farrow, Edward Drinkwater, John Ross, Sewell Farrow, Thomas Alexander, Joshua Haley, Reuben Farrow, Asa Sawyer, Joseph R. Niles, William Golder, Jr, Aaron Hamilton, Samuel Ramsdell, John D. Ricker, Solomon Bangs.


September 18, in accordance with this request, Esquire Mace issued a warrant to Samuel Truc, directing him to notify the remainder of the applicants to meet at some suitable time and place. Mr True named the school-house in District No. 6 as the place, and Saturday, September 21, as the time. At the meeting it was decided to adopt the name of the First Baptist Religious Society in Lisbon. John Ross was chosen moderator, and Samuel True, clerk. The meeting then adjourned to September 30. At the adjourned


1


483


TOWN OF WEBSTER.


meeting, Peter Garcelon, Edward Drinkwater, and John Ross were elected assessors; Samuel True, treasurer; Mark Garcelon, collector; Joshua Haley, John Ross, and Samuel True, standing committee. It was voted to raise $160 for the support of the gospel for one year from the first of January next. Peter Garcelon, Joshua Robinson, and Samuel True were instructed to draw a plan for a meeting-house, and present it to the society on Monday, October 28, when the plan was presented, and Captain Edward Drinkwater chosen auctioneer to sell the pews. Pew No. 30 was struck off to Thomas Alexander for $37.50; No. 12 to Samuel Dearing, $37; No. 28 to Joshua Haley, $36; No. 34 to Reuben Farrow, $40; No. 32 to John Cushing, $37; No. 10 to Sylvanus Dyer, $36; No. 14 to Samuel True, $37; No. 16 to James McFarlind, $37; No. 8 to William Jordan, $36; No. 26 to Valentine Jordan, $36; No. 24 to Samuel Dearing, $35; No. 6 to Joshua Robinson, $32; No. 4 to Robert Jordan, $30; No. 15 to John Cushing, $27; No. 40 to Elias Merrill, $27; No. 39 to Jacob Anderson, $27; No. 38 to John Cushing, $30; No. 33 to John Ross, $25; No. 17 to John Farrow, $27; No. 11 to Edward Drinkwater, $30; No. 9, to William Eaton, $33. Thomas Alexander, John Ross, Samuel Dearing, and Samuel True were chosen a committee to superintend the building of the meeting-house. Later in the same year, pews were sold to Aaron H. Mills, Samuel True, William Golder, John D. Ricker, Simeon Ricker, Peter Garcelon, Samuel Dearing, and Henry Hamilton.


The meeting-house, finished in 1824, was built of wood and stood upon an elevation in the northwest part of the town about one mile from Sabattus village, and was used for religious purposes until 1870. This society was the First church until 1836, when it was.re-organized as Lisbon Corner church, and in 1843 as the Second Webster church. Its early days, under Rev. Ichabod Temple and Elder Cole, from 1797 to 1806 when Mr Temple resigned, were its most prosperous ones. In 1817, Rev. Daniel Pierce was licensed, and in 1819, ordained. Rev. James Stuart, Elder Pierce, Rev. S. Owen, and Rev. Mr Hooper officiated here until 1825, but the records are not explicit as to time or length of labors. For the next decade only occasional preaching was had, then Rev. Jotham Day, and later, Rev. A. Lothrop, rendered valuable service. In 1843 the membership was 43. A new meeting-house was built in 1856, in a beautiful location in Sabattus village, and Rev. Leander S. Tripp became pastor. The last regular pastor was Rev. Erwin Dennett, but Rev. Robert Scott, of Greene, held services until the church lost its visibility some years since. The meeting-house has been occupied by the Adventists since the formation of their society in 1885.


The Free Baptists have possessed quite a strength here. February 12, 1831, 19 of the brethren and sisters of the village of Sabattus met and made choice of Elder Jonathan Tracy as moderator, and James Weymouth secretary. They voted to be embodied into a church, and on March 5 the right hand of fellow-


484


HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.


ship was extended by Elder Thorn, and James Weymouth was elected clerk ; David Graffam and Samuel Maxwell were chosen deacons. Voted to hold monthly conferences the second Saturday in each month. These persons were formed into a church: James Weymouth, Mary Weymouth, Samuel Maxwell, Aaron H. Niles, Betsey Niles, Timothy Jordan, Mrs C. A. Jordan, William Eaton, Philenia Eaton, Sally Dyer, Anna Mitchell, Lucy Lowell, Stephen Lake, Anna Cushing, David Stewart, Jemima Hobbs, Malinda Lake, Julia Wright, David Graffam, Betsey Graffam, Abigail Richardson, Isaac Stewart, Samuel Lane, Charles Maxwell, Lovina Maxwell, Nancy Maxwell, and 18 others (names not recorded). In 1840 a fine meeting-house was built and a bell was later added by the generosity of Captain Luther Lombard. Regular services have been maintained and some resident pastors have been employed, but of late years most of the preaching has been done by students of Cobb Divinity School of Bates College. The following have ministered to this church: Jonathan Tracy, Mark Getchell, Allen Files, Gideon Perkins, William Gowell, Albert Purington, Isaac Libby, Moses Tarbox, Asa F. Hutchinson, Levi Brackett, James Boyd, Albert Heath, William Stinson, Andrew Buck, E. G. Eaton, Lewis Dexter, H. J. White, C. L. Frost, H. Z. Besse, Ira Emery, E. S. Stackpole, Josiah M. Remick, C. C. Foster, W. H. Gatchell, E. Z. Whitman, W. P. Curtis, and B. S. Fifield. The present membership is about 45. Samuel C. Buker is deacon, and Charles H. Maxwell, clerk.


Schools. - Samuel Simmons was one of the first to give elementary instruc- tion, and he was followed by well educated members of the Eames family. Joseph Sanborn, a rigid disciplinarian, taught that "order was Heaven's first law "; Rachel Davies, Mary Ellis, and Paulina Ann Bryent, daughter of Benjamin D. Bryent, Sen., who had acquired many accomplishments at a Portland school, also Reuben Rand, of Lewiston, were among the educators in the days of Auld Lang Syne. In 1888 the town system was adopted. During the spring and fall of 1890 there were kept the following schools: Village Grammar, Village Primary, Fisher, Jordan, Furbush, Center, Maxwell, Mountain, Ricker; in the winter of 1890-91- Village Free High, Village Primary, Fisher Free High, (H. J. Carvill, teacher,) Jordan, Center, Furbush, Rieker, Mountain, Maxwell. An evening school, under the charge of Prescott Keyes, Jr, teacher of the Village High School, was largely attended. This gave the mill operatives an opportunity for education, of which they gladly availed themselves. The superintending school committee were H. J. Carvill, F. L. Sanborn, J. C. Spofford. The school census of 1890 shows 273 scholars in town between the ages of 4 and 21 years. The attendance of each term has been as follows : Spring term 185, with an average of 152. Fall term 204, with an average of 161. Winter term 175, with an average of 147. The above attendance does not include the Webster corner scholars who attended the Lisbon schools.


485


TOWN OF WALES.


WALES.


BY JOHN C. FOGG, EsQ.


CHAPTER XXVI.


Organization-Surface and Soil-Settlements and Settlers-Churches-Schools- Water-powers, Mills, and Manufactures-Civil List and Town Records-Action in the Rebellion.


0 RGANIZATION .-- This town, including Monmouth, was known prior to 1792 as the plantation of Wales. At that date the northern portion was set off and incorporated as Monmouth. In April, 1803, the remainder was incorporated as the plantation of Wales, and chose as its first officers, Joseph Small, Enoch Strout, and John Andrews, assessors, and Joseph Small, clerk. At its first meeting $50 were voted for plantation expenses, $150 for schools, and a like sum for roads. February 1, 1816, the town of Wales was incor- porated, and at the first meeting Joseph Small, David Plummer, and Arthur Given were chosen selectmen and assessors, and Joseph Small, town clerk. In 1851 a small portion of Leeds and Monmouth, which includes the territory around Leeds Junction, was annexed to Wales, and prior to this date a portion of Litchfield, consisting of one tier of lots, had been annexed to Wales on the east. The settlers acquired the title to their lands from proprietors who held under the old Plymouth Company, that owned a strip ten miles wide on each side of the Kennebec.


Surface and Soil .- The surface is quite broken. There is an elevation of land in the southern portion, extending into Webster, 814.5 feet above the sea, as determined by the U. S. coast survey, which has a station here. This mountain affords an extended and fine view of the surrounding country. With a good glass Portland can be seen from its summit. This elevation is Sabattis mountain, the name (as also that of Lake Sabattis, west of it) being taken from a noted Indian chief (according to tradition) killed in battle by Captain Church at the head of this lake, and his body buried near the pond. Other authorities say his body was thrown into the lake. This mountain has a cave on its eastern slope which never has been fully explored. It was formed, evidently, by some convulsion of nature, which separated the rock, leaving a cavity in places as large as a large-sized room, but very irregular in shape. Its discovery was made by early settlers while in pursuit of a bear, which took refuge in its dark recesses. Some fine specimens of red ochre are




Need help finding more records? Try our genealogical records directory which has more than 1 million sources to help you more easily locate the available records.