USA > Maine > Androscoggin County > History of Androscoggin County, Maine > Part 95
Note: The text from this book was generated using artificial intelligence so there may be some errors. The full pages can be found on Archive.org (link on the Part 1 page).
Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5 | Part 6 | Part 7 | Part 8 | Part 9 | Part 10 | Part 11 | Part 12 | Part 13 | Part 14 | Part 15 | Part 16 | Part 17 | Part 18 | Part 19 | Part 20 | Part 21 | Part 22 | Part 23 | Part 24 | Part 25 | Part 26 | Part 27 | Part 28 | Part 29 | Part 30 | Part 31 | Part 32 | Part 33 | Part 34 | Part 35 | Part 36 | Part 37 | Part 38 | Part 39 | Part 40 | Part 41 | Part 42 | Part 43 | Part 44 | Part 45 | Part 46 | Part 47 | Part 48 | Part 49 | Part 50 | Part 51 | Part 52 | Part 53 | Part 54 | Part 55 | Part 56 | Part 57 | Part 58 | Part 59 | Part 60 | Part 61 | Part 62 | Part 63 | Part 64 | Part 65 | Part 66 | Part 67 | Part 68 | Part 69 | Part 70 | Part 71 | Part 72 | Part 73 | Part 74 | Part 75 | Part 76 | Part 77 | Part 78 | Part 79 | Part 80 | Part 81 | Part 82 | Part 83 | Part 84 | Part 85 | Part 86 | Part 87 | Part 88 | Part 89 | Part 90 | Part 91 | Part 92 | Part 93 | Part 94 | Part 95 | Part 96 | Part 97 | Part 98 | Part 99 | Part 100 | Part 101 | Part 102 | Part 103 | Part 104 | Part 105 | Part 106 | Part 107 | Part 108
773
TOWN OF MINOT.
made a request in writing, assigning as his reason the building of the Centre meeting-house by a part of his church and society, to which, especially the location, he urged strong objections. August 21 an ecclesiastical council was convened, and the next day, at the " West meeting-house," Mr Scott laid before it a long written memorial of his grievances, etc., and it was voted unanimously to dissolve the pastoral relations; nevertheless he continued to preach and acted as moderator of church meetings. 1806, June 26, fourteen members were set off to form a separate church [see Second Church]. July 7, and October 20, subscription papers were drawn up, promising Mr Scott $145. August 15 the First Church gave Mr Scott a call to become pastor, which he formally accepted Sunday, October 26. November 12 an ecclesiastical council, consisting of Rev. Messrs Eaton, Herrick, Mosely, and Gillet, installed "Rev. Jonathan Scott over the First Congregational Church, worshiping in the East meeting-house." 1807, February 8, Rev. Mr Scott's house was burned with his youngest son. The parish then gave the old meeting-house to him, and moved it to the site of his former house. The church records were also destroyed. Dr Jesse Rice and John Staples Crafts were chosen deacons. (They both died early in 1815.) 1819, Rev. Jonathan Scott died, October 15, aged 75, in the 51st year of his ministry, and the influence of his strong and Christian nature yet lingers in the atmosphere of the homes where his pastoral visits so often brought comfort and consolation.
Efforts to reunite the churches were successful, and in the fall of 1821 it was unanimously resolved, "That it is expedient that the two Congregational churches in this town be united in one," and committees chosen to revise the articles of faith, and to draft new ones. October 18, at a meeting of the two churches, Rev. Elijah Jones present, " Voted, to accept the articles of faith and the covenant submitted by the committee," and adopt the name " United Congregational Church." 1822, January 1, the new society of 100 members, legally organized, gave Mr Jones a call to settle as pastor, with $300 salary, without a parsonage ; Mr Jones not accepting the call, William Ladd offered a small parsonage, and February 12, 1823, Mr Jones was ordained pastor at the East meeting-house. May 4 the "United Church " held its first communion, with 37 resident and 13 non-resident members, and 23 more members were received during the year. 1824, 17 members received. 1826, June 14, Cum- berland Conference held its meeting in the Centre meeting-house. 64 persons were received into the church, 600 communicants sat down to the Lord's table, 1,500 were present. 102 persons were received into the church this year. 1828, April 7, the society chose a committee, of which Rev. E. Jones and Wm Ladd were members, to draw up resolutions on temperance, which were passed in church meeting June 2, the first public action of the society in sympathy with this great moral movement. December 1, Josiah Little, Esq., was chosen deacon in place of Chandler Freeman, resigned on account of age. The
774
HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.
United Society continued to flourish under the ministry of Mr Jones, until May 1, 1844, when the eastern portion, now having its interests in the new town of Auburn and numbering 86 members, was organized as West Auburn Congregational Church. [See page 665.]
Second Congregational Church .- In 1806 the dissensions in the church and society, on account of building the Centre meeting-house, increased, and seven males and seven females signed a request to be formed into a " distinct Gospel Church," on account of their living in the west of Minot, and the inconvenience in attending worship in the east. These persons were of those who were engaged in building the Centre church. Their request was granted June 26, and communicated to them in a certificate signed by Mr Scott, as moderator, dated July 1. This church was formed October 15, 1806, by an ecclesiastical council composed of Rev. Jacob Herrick and James Hubbard, of Durham, Rev. Elisha Mosely, Moses Merrill, and E. Mason, of New Gloucester, Rev. Daniel Weston and Moses Humphrey, of Gray. It was voted to receive these persons as members : Moses Bradbury, Isaac Allen, Davis Variel, Samuel Variel, Jr, John Row, Benjamin Butler, Nathaniel Chandler, Eunice Bradbury, Anna Washburn, Ruth Seabury, Marcy Chandler, Keziah Chandler, Olive Chandler, Sarah Row, John Chandler, Ichabod Chandler, and "acknowledged them as the Second Congregational Church in Minot." Moses Bradbury was chosen first deacon and moderator; Isaac Allen, second deacon; Samuel Vareal (Verrill), clerk. Others were afterward dismissed from the First Church to join this one. In January, 1811, the church endeavored to effect a recon- ciliation with the mother church, but in vain. A meeting of committees from both churches was held January 9, with no apparent result. January 23 the second church invited the first church to reconciliation, but it was not effected. February 27, 1811, Rev. William Pidgin, the first pastor, was installed by a council, consisting of Rev. Messrs Mosely, Herrick, Weston, Miltimore, Smith, Creasy, and delegates. There had been but few additions to the church since organization. August, 1814, an unsuccessful effort was again made for a reconciliation of the churches. 1819, August 4, Rev. Mr Pidgin was dis- missed, and, December 5, the church sent a communication to the First Church, on the subject of a union, which brought favorable results and a union. Rev. Mr Jones continued as pastor of the Minot Centre Church after the organiza- tion of the West Minot church (which left 121 members in the mother church) until his death in 1869, at the age of 78 years. He was a native of Wrentham, Mass., an earnest, discreet, and pure-hearted man, who labored intensely and continuously. During his pastorate of 46 years here nearly 500 members were added to the church. There has been no settled pastor since Mr Jones. From November 21, 1869, to November 21, 1870, the pulpit was supplied by Rev. John K. Deering. Rev. Joseph Smith, from October 8, 1871, to June 27, 1875. Rev. F. E. Emrich, during September and October, 1875. Rev. Ira G. Sprague,
775
TOWN OF MINOT.
from September, 1876, to July 29, 1877. Preston B. Wing, summer of 1878. John B. Carruthers, from June 8, 1879, to September 14, 1879. Rev. Lauriston Reynolds, from September 21, 1879, to July 26, 1885. Rev. Lewis J. Thomas, from September 20, 1885, to the present time. When without a preacher the house of worship has rarely been closed. The late Deacon S. W. Shaw rendered very efficient service in keeping the pulpit supplied. Some- times the supply was from Bates Theological School. In 1876 the Y. M. C. A. of Auburn held several meetings here, and in the summer of 1885 the Praying Band of Auburn did the same. When nothing better could be obtained the people listened to the reading of a sermon by one of the church members - usually Deacon Shaw.
The deacons up to 1854 had been Chandler Freeman, Isaac Allen, Samuel Pool, Josiah Little, Harvey Stetson, James Dinsmore, and Peter Noyes. In the church books, under date of March 6, 1854, is this by Rev. E. Jones: "Church meeting at the pastor's house. Chose brethren John C. Rice and James E. Washburn assistant deacons. Dea. Allen now being 97 years old ; Dea. Stetson lame; Dea. Noyes, moved out of town, and having no horse, is apt to fail us." J. C. Rice died March 4, 1864, but no steps were taken to supply the vacant deaconate until April 10, 1869, when James E. Washburn was chosen 1st deacon; Stillman W. Shaw, 2d deacon ; Merrill Davis, 3d deacon. Deacon Shaw died January 11, 1888. J. E. Washburn and Merrill Davis are still in office. February 8, 1888, Deacon J. E. Washburn was chosen clerk and treasurer, and still acts in both capacities.
The West Minot and Hebron Congregational Church was organized October 8, 1802, with 13 members. Its first pastor was Rev. Henry Sewall, ordained October 12, 1802. The first deacons were Reuben Packard, and Isaac Cush- man, succeeded by. Moses Allen, Samuel Bradford, and Caleb Barrows. The first meeting-house at West Minot was built in 1811. It was taken down in 1855, and rebuilt as a union house.
Free Baptists. - The doctrines taught by Benjamin Randall, the founder of this faith were early brought to Minot. Its most prominent advocate in early days was Rev. Jonathan Tracy, eldest son of Rev. Christopher Tracy, of Durham, where he was born in 1782. He was converted when 16, and soon coming to Minot was active in Christian work. In 1812 he, with 12 others, joined the Danville and Poland F. W. Baptist Church. He was ordained in Feb- ruary, 1828, and thereafter labored extensively as an evangelist and was a settled pastor in Lewiston, Minot, Poland, Danville, Mechanic Falls, Auburn, Sabattus, and other places. He baptized nearly 800 converts, was an early advocate of temperance, and a denouncer of slavery. He was esteemed and beloved, and died at Wales, January 24, 1864. From his day the Free Baptists have been in existence, sometimes with a regular pastor, and often, as now, without one. About 30 years ago, many of the leading men of Minot were members of this
776
HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.
church. In 1847 this church joined in building the union meeting-house at Mechanic Falls. Its interest in it was sold to the Baptists in 1889.
Baptist Church.1-The first Baptist Conference was held at Mechanic Falls in the autumn of 1855. During the following year preaching was sustained one-fourth of the time, Rev. A. K. P. Small supplying. The church was organized September, 1857, and Isaac C. Bumpus was chosen clerk. A council of recognition was called, October 27, 1857. There were 41 original members : Joseph Bucknam, Eunice Bucknam, Edmund Chase, Joseph W. Chase, Mary Ann Chase, Nabby Chase, Anna Chase, S. and L. B. Chase, Comfort Crooker, Judith Crooker, Russel B. Andrews, Isaac C. Bumpus, Benjamin Merrill, Nizalla Merrill, Sarah G. Moore, Nancy Woodman, Laura Record, Zilpha B. Mitchell, Elvira Merrill, Mary Bearce, Polly B. Hawkes, Ebenezer Drake, Harmony Drake, Lucy Chase, Alden Chandler, Peter R. Dennen, Clarissa Dennen, Sarah Dennen, Hannah Hayes, Lydia C. Holbrook, Patience Staples, Esther Knight, Sarah Hohnes, Sarah J. Coy, Hannah Barton, Isaac Barton, Rebekah Barton, Sally Thayer, Elbridge G. Coy, Betsey Milliken ; 40 have since been baptized into its membership, and there have been 138 members in all. In July, 1858, R. B. Andrews and Eben Drake were chosen deacons. Subsequently A. B. Dwinal, Joseph Bucknam, S. Woodman, Gilman Thayer, and S. U. Hawkes have served in that capacity. The first clerk has been followed by A. B. Dwinal and J. S. Merrill. The pastorates have all been short, and quite a portion of the time the church has been without a pastor, nniting in the support of other preaching. After Rev. A. K. P. Small, Dr Adam Wilson was pastor; then Bro. Sweat, who was followed in time by Rev. Abner Merrill. A. C. Herrick preached in 1866, L. P. Gurney in 1867, and J. R. Langridge in 1868-69. In 1872 Bro. R. Denham supplied, and June 28, 1878, J. S. Studley was ordained and served the church about one year. In 1886 Rev. C. E. Horden was called to supply for a while. Under his supervision the church bought out the interest of the Free Baptists in the meeting-house which the two churches had occupied together on Pleasant street, remodelled and repaired the old church at a cost of over $3,000. It was re-dedicated June 2, 1888. In September, 1888, Rev. W. H. Clark was called to the pastorate, and continues in that relation. 12 have been added to the church since he came. The present membership is about 46. The church sustains a good Sunday school and regular religious services, and is interested in all the beneficent work of the denomination, as well as the great moral reforms of the day.
Methodist Episcopal Church.2-Mechanic Falls was made a station by the Maine Annual Conference at the session held in Lewiston, April 27, 1859. Rev. J. C. Perry was appointed pastor of the charge. Before this the church had been a part of Poland circuit, and services had been held in the Union
1 By Rev. W. H. Clark.
2 By Rev. Charles F. Parsons.
777
TOWN OF MINOT.
Church, owned by Free Baptists and Methodists. While Rev. Ezekiel Martin was pastor of the Poland circuit, in 1857 and 1858, he paid special attention to the church at Mechanic Falls, and an extensive and gracious revival resulted from his labors. When, in 1859, Rev. J. C. Perry became pastor, the society commenced the erection of a church edifice. In the follow- ing year, during the pastorate of Rev. Jas McMillan, the church was finished and the dedication sermon preached by Rev. H. B. Ridgeway. In 1861 Rev. Kinsman Atkinson was pastor; 1862-63, Rev. J. C. Perry ; 1864, Rev. John W. Woodbury, 1865-66, Rev. Wm H. Foster; 1867-68, Rev. John Gibson ; 1869-70, Rev. Joseph Hawkes; 1871, Rev. J. C. Fletcher; 1872-74, Rev. Daniel Waterhouse. The parsonage was built in 1872. In 1875-77 Rev. W. B. Bartlett was pastor. On April 1, 1877, the church was burned. Work was at once commenced on a new church building, and the next January services were held in the vestry. In 1878 Rev. J. H. Trask was pastor; in 1879-80, Rev. H. Chase. The new church was finished and dedicated in 1880, sermon by Rev. A. S. Ladd. In 1881-83 Rev. David Church was pastor; in 1884, Rev. W. S. Jones; in 1885-87, Rev. G. F. Cobb; in 1888-90, Rev. C. E. Springer. The membership of the church, May, 1891, is 104. Rev. C. F. Parsons is the present pastor.
Schools. - Private schools were kept in several places before any provision was made by the town. Of the early teachers were Samuel Shaw at the Centre, Master Bray on Bradbury hill, John Chandler and his sister on Hersey hill, where Abner Chase also taught many winter terms. The first public- school teacher was Nathan Hanson. In 1803 it was voted "to raise $600 for schools," and April 6, 1804, "to number the children on the first day of May, and all over four years of age to draw an equal proportion of school money." The amount raised for schools was increased $100 yearly until it reached $1,000. In 1825 there were 20 school-buildings in Minot; five years after, 22 and as many districts. School district No. 1, located at Mechanic Falls, was organized in 1831. The first male teacher was George Tewksbury, who taught in the winter of 1831-2. A Mr Harris taught in the winter of 1832-3, and William A. Tobie in 1833-4. J. D. Pulsifer, in 1835-6, had 40 scholars. The school-house was then located on the site of the Pleasant street school-house. Morris B. Walker, Frank H. Hall, Miss Sarah Bucknam, and Miss Frances A. Millett taught a number of terms before the Union district was formed. March 22, 1867, E. G. Hawkes, A. C. Denison, A. T. Denison, O. W. Hawkes, William Childs, J. A. Bucknam, E. M. Thurston, D. S. Perkins, and J. S. Merrill petitioned Justice S. F. Waterman to call the first meeting for the Union school district (formed from No. 1 in Minot and No. 20 in Poland) for the transaction of business. The meeting was held March 30, at the Pleasant street school-house, and elected Joseph Bucknam moderator, and E. G. Hawkes clerk and agent. Voted that school districts No. 1 of Minot and No. 20 of
.
778
HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.
Poland be called the Mechanic Falls Union school district. Rev. A. G. Gaines, J. M. Eveleth, M.D., Alanson Briggs, and A. T. Denison were elected to grade the schools. At a meeting held April 15. 1871, A. T. Denison was chosen clerk, Rev. Zenas Thompson agent, and O. B. Dwinal, A. C. Denison, C. S. Richardson, George Moore, and D. B. Holt were chosen a committee "to see about building a school-house for the Union district that would accom- modate 350 scholars." They reported April 27, and Nathaniel Cushman, J. S. Gerry, O. B. Dwinal, O. B. Moore, and Alanson Briggs were appointed the building committee. June 24 the site of the brick school-house was located by a vote of 94 in favor of present site and 83 for the pine-tree lot in Poland, and the school-house was erected at a cost of $8,863.85. In 1873 S. W. Shaw, Marshall Jordan, and L. B. Attwood were chosen a committee to co-operate with the supervisor of schools in establishing a free high school in the town. The school was established, has been heartily supported, and it stands in the front rank of educational institutions of its grade. At the annual meeting, 1887, H. E. Thurston was chosen clerk, and Frank A. Millett agent, and it was voted to raise $500 for high school. March, 1888, F. O. Purington was
elected clerk, and F. A. Millett agent. On account of the vote of the town of Poland dissolving the Union district, this closed the affairs of this district, except to pay a debt of about $2,000 on the brick school-house, which was raised at a special meeting, April 7, 1888. There are now 11 school districts. The number of different pupils registered in school from April, 1880, to April, 1891, was 295. F. H. McDonald was supervisor in 1890. F. O. Purington is the present supervisor. Lizzie E. Washburn, daughter of Deacon James E. Washburn, has been a prominent teacher, closing her fiftieth term of school in June, 1891. Official reports say of her: "By natural endowments and a good education Miss Washburn is happily adapted to her work as an instructor of youth. Dignified and kind in manner, decided though mild in government, she secures a good degree of studiousness and order among her pupils.
Physicians. - Dr Jesse Rice established himself in Minot in 1795, and was the first practicing physician. He died in 1816. Dr Seth Chandler, of Dux- bury, Mass., was an early physician at the Centre, and had a large practice. He died in 1839. Dr Joseph Keith was in town prior to 1817. Dr Jesse Miles practiced medicine at Minot Corner several years. He was succeeded by Dr Christopher Toby for four years. Dr Charles Millett, an able physician, was his successor. He subsequently removed to Lewiston. Dr Josiah Carr, born in Hebron, February 6, 1814, was a resident physician at Mechanic Falls for nearly 40 years. He was a graduate of Bowdoin Medical School, and surgeon in the late war. He died August 12, 1873. Dr Elijah C. Heath, a native of Vermont, practiced in Mechanic Falls from 1885 to 1890, when he died, aged 70. He was a very successful homeopathic physician. C. M. Cobb, M.D., is a son of Dr Albion and Louise A. (Stockman) Cobb. His father was
779
TOWN OF MINOT.
a skillful physician and surgeon ; his mother, an eminently successful teacher, taught over 50 terms. Dr Cobb has an extensive practice, and is recognized as a physician of ability. Dr Charles Tobie is now located here.
CHAPTER XLVI.
BY J. A. BUCKNAM.
Mechanic Falls- Minot Corner-West Minot- Some of Minot's Principal Farmers from 1840.
M ECHANIC FALLS. [See page 736.]-About 45 years after the first white man came to Minot to make it his home, the second generation discovered that Bog Falls was a valuable water-power, and that it ought to be utilized, that the country adjoining needed an unfailing power to make its flour and meal and to saw lumber for building. It was in 1823 that Isaiah Perkins, his brother Luther, and Capt. James Farris, of Hebron, had the courage to enter that wilderness and to build a saw-mill on the Poland side of the river. In a few years this mill was burned, and another, with a box-mill attached, was built, owned in part by a Mr Smith from Portland. This, also, was soon burned. A double saw-mill was built on the same place, which remained until A. C. Denison and E. W. Fyler purchased it, in 1850 or 1851, with the water-power on the Poland side. It was run by them until 1867, when it was taken down and the brick paper-mill built on its site. Soon after the building of the saw-mill a shingle mill was built by Asaph Churchill, and a clapboard mill on the Minot side. A little later, Isaiah Perkins erected a grist-mill, much needed by the community. These mills called for mill men, and the first man to respond and build a house and move in his family was Dean Andrews. This house was built in 1823, very near, if not on, the spot where O. B. Dwinal's house now stands. His son, Isaiah, was the first child born there. Old Doctor Jacob Tewksbury, from No. 6 in Hebron (now Oxford), was called upon to introduce the young gentleman into the world. The night was stormy and dark, and nothing but a logging road to follow, so it took a brave man to force his way through, but the old doctor was a plucky old gentleman, and not to be cheated out of his $5 fee, which was probably paid in refuse shingles. His bitter experience led him to name the town "Jericho," by which name it was for a long time called. Afterwards, in consequence of the large quantity of "grog " sold, it was called "Groggy Harbor," but the popular name was "Bog Falls," until a post-office was estab- lished in 1841, when, at the suggestion of S. F. Waterman, it was called
780
HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.
Mechanic Falls. Mr Waterman was the first postmaster, a prominent citizen, one of the first county commissioners, and died in 1876.
The next family that came was that of Azel Marshall, who purchased the land now used for the cemetery and built his house near where his son John's house now stands, and the first road from Minot crossed the river and passed through the cemetery into what is now Marshall street, and extending into Main street, near the old cemetery. The third family was Peter Thayer, who built a log house and blacksmith shop partly on the lot now occupied by J. A. Bucknam's brick store. He afterwards built a frame house, which was moved to Pleasant street, and now owned by Mrs Wallace, and replaced by the house now occupied by N. II. Nelson. Mr W. Thayer was the first blacksmith in town, and a very ingenious man. He continued the business in a small way through life. He left four sons; three, Gilman, Simon, and Leonard, resided here until their deaths within the last three years, and all lived to be over 75.
The first store was in one end of the first grist-mill and was run by Isaiah Perkins. He soon after built a very small store on the easterly portion of the lot where D. B. Perry's store stands. In those days it did not require much space to place all the goods that the people were able to buy. It was neces- sary to have enough for a hogshead of New England rum, several barrels of gin and brandy and kegs of other liquors, with molasses, salt pork, and fish, and a slight sprinkling of dry goods, such as a few pieces of calico (prints), factory cloth (sheetings and shirtings), and perhaps a piece of broadcloth. The circulating medium was largely shingles. Workmen were obliged to take them for labor, and they had to turn them for groceries and rum, and it has been said there is no doubt but the same bunch of refuse shingles has served the same man to buy several jugs of rum at several distinct times. The man that got the rum was the worst cheated.
The first barn was raised in 1823 by Isaiah Perkins, and is now standing nearly opposite the Methodist church. The next year he built near the barn the small frame house now owned by Mr Morton. These two buildings are the oldest in the village. It was said that it took an immense amount of rum and two days to raise the barn. In a few years Isaiah Perkins bought out his brother and Farris, and became almost the sole owner of the land around the Falls. The first dwelling on Poland side was built by Luther Perkins, about where the Grand Trunk station stands, but the first frame house was erected by Mr Merrill on the site of The Elms. It now stands directly north on Lewiston street, and is occupied by M. S. Andrews.
From 1823 to 1836 very few good dwellings were built. The people were generally poor, and the business was confined entirely to lumbering. The lumber was hauled to Portland and Yarmouth to market by ox-teams. About that time men of more means began to buy land and move in, and the place showed signs of life and growth. Capt. Jacob Dwinal, his brother, Isaac,
781
TOWN OF MINOT.
Nathaniel Cushman, Samuel F. Waterman, Deacon Joseph Hall, Salmon Hackett, John Valentine, Capt. Charles Alden, Albert Valentine were among the number, and they all built good, comfortable homes, and became permanent citizens, remaining here until they died, with the exception of Captain Alden, who moved to Bangor, Deacon Hall, who lives in Illinois, and A. Valentine, who now lives here. The most of them have children living in the village.
Albert Valentine came from Westbrook about 1838 and went into general merchandise near the depot. Within one year he moved to the Minot side, and in 1840 was married to Miss Hannah Foss, by Rev. Zenas Thompson, who remained over the Sabbath and preached, probably, the first Universalist sermon in the village. About that time William Cobb, from Hebron, joined Mr Valentine in trade until 1849, when Mr Valentine took the California fever, spent several years digging the yellow metal with fair success, returned, and was in the employ of J. A. Bucknam & Co. for more than 20 years. He was an honest, faithful man. He and his wife mutually enjoyed life and a well-earned, honorable reputation until her death in July, 1891.
Need help finding more records? Try our genealogical records directory which has more than 1 million sources to help you more easily locate the available records.