History of Androscoggin County, Maine, Part 41

Author: Merrill, Georgia Drew, ed
Publication date: 1891
Publisher: Boston, W.A. Fergusson & co.
Number of Pages: 1050


USA > Maine > Androscoggin County > History of Androscoggin County, Maine > Part 41


Note: The text from this book was generated using artificial intelligence so there may be some errors. The full pages can be found on Archive.org (link on the Part 1 page).


Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5 | Part 6 | Part 7 | Part 8 | Part 9 | Part 10 | Part 11 | Part 12 | Part 13 | Part 14 | Part 15 | Part 16 | Part 17 | Part 18 | Part 19 | Part 20 | Part 21 | Part 22 | Part 23 | Part 24 | Part 25 | Part 26 | Part 27 | Part 28 | Part 29 | Part 30 | Part 31 | Part 32 | Part 33 | Part 34 | Part 35 | Part 36 | Part 37 | Part 38 | Part 39 | Part 40 | Part 41 | Part 42 | Part 43 | Part 44 | Part 45 | Part 46 | Part 47 | Part 48 | Part 49 | Part 50 | Part 51 | Part 52 | Part 53 | Part 54 | Part 55 | Part 56 | Part 57 | Part 58 | Part 59 | Part 60 | Part 61 | Part 62 | Part 63 | Part 64 | Part 65 | Part 66 | Part 67 | Part 68 | Part 69 | Part 70 | Part 71 | Part 72 | Part 73 | Part 74 | Part 75 | Part 76 | Part 77 | Part 78 | Part 79 | Part 80 | Part 81 | Part 82 | Part 83 | Part 84 | Part 85 | Part 86 | Part 87 | Part 88 | Part 89 | Part 90 | Part 91 | Part 92 | Part 93 | Part 94 | Part 95 | Part 96 | Part 97 | Part 98 | Part 99 | Part 100 | Part 101 | Part 102 | Part 103 | Part 104 | Part 105 | Part 106 | Part 107 | Part 108


TOWNS FROM LINCOLN AND KENNEBEC COUNTIES:


Lewiston, Lisbon, Webster, Wales, Greene, Leeds, East Livermore.


LEWISTON.


BY J. G. ELDER.


CHAPTER XVI.


THE TOWN. Situation, Extent, Natural Features, Products, etc .- Conditions of Grant-Pioneer Settlers -Incorporation - Growth-Civil List -City Officers.


L EWISTON is in north latitude 44° 5' 45", and 70° 10' west longitude. Its greatest length is 112 miles, and its greatest width is 65 miles, and it has an area of 35 square miles, or about 22,000 acres. The only body of water wholly in Lewiston is No Name Pond, one mile long and half a mile wide. It lies near Sabatis road, nearly four miles from the bridge. There is a small unimproved water-power at the outlet. There are some small streams. On several of these the early settlers erected lumber mills which long since disappeared. The surface is very uneven and considerably broken. This is especially true on the margin of the river, and in some places, extending a considerable distance from the river, the land is quite hilly, and the ledge occasionally crops out with more or less boldness. In some places the surface is quite level, but there are no plains and but little meadow land. While the surface is hilly and broken, it is not mountainous. Merrill Hill, formerly Randall Hill, is probably the highest elevation in the city, but its exact altitude has not been ascertained. David Mountain, which derives its name from Mr David Davis, the owner for many years, is a dome-shaped ledge whose summit is 389 feet above tide water, and 123 feet above Main street at the corner of Riverside. It is a ledge of mica-schist; the base is skirted with small trees and shrubbery, and occasionally a dwarf pine; but near the summit


344


HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.


there are a few plats of grass. Excavations to a considerable extent have been made on the northwesterly side of the mountain to obtain coarse stone for building purposes. Mr Davis's heirs have given the summit of the mountain to Bates College with a right of way for an observatory, for which it is admirably fitted. Once upon the summit the eye catches a charming land- scape which, when the atmosphere is clear, extends to the White Mountains, with a bird's-eye view of Lewiston and Auburn. The soil is a clayey loam, well adapted to agricultural purposes, and yields an average amount of produce. It is better adapted to the production of hay than to the growth of cereals, but corn, oats, and barley are grown in considerable quantities, and fruit is easily raised. Many of the farms whose soil is rugged produce excellent crops, and, although husbandry may not be the most lucrative employment, yet the industrious farmer is sure to realize an average income. Clay banks especially adapted to the manufacture of bricks are numerous near the " Falls," and are also found in the rural portions of the city. These have been extensively worked, and large quantities of bricks are annually manufactured. The southern part abounds in sandy loam and is admirably fitted for agri- cultural purposes. The primeval forest was composed of hard and soft woods, with the stately pine in abundance. The early settlers did much in manu- facturing pine lumber, and, in recent years, a large lumbering business was carried on by some enterprising citizens. The magnificent and romantic Lew- iston Falls, with its water-power, one of the best in New England (see page 38) is not only the most striking natural feature of the city, but the great source of its wealth. The falls were first called the Uppermost Falls of the Pejepscot, but for years after the first settlement were known as Harris Falls. The lakes at the source of the Androseoggin are now used for the storage of water, dams having been built by the Union Water-Power Company to increase their capacity as reservoirs.


Grant to Little and Bagley. - The Pejepscot proprietors granted, January 28, 1768, to Moses Little and Jonathan Bagley, of Newbury, Mass., the tract of land commencing at Twenty-Mile Falls on the Androseoggin, from thence to extend five miles up said river, from thence to extend northeast five miles, from thence southeast four miles, from thenee south to® Androscoggin river, and so up the river to the falls. The conditions were that fifty families should be settled in as many houses before June 1, 1774, and a road be cleared to Royalsborough to meet the proprietors' road from Topsham. If less than fifty families were settled, only a proportion of the land was to be granted. The houses were to be " 16 x 20 feet and 7 feet stud," and the town was named Lewistown. This grant was rescinded in June, 1771, notwithstanding the efforts made to comply with its conditions. The proprietors recognized what had been done by Bagley and Little, without offering any compensation for their services. We are unable to determine under what conditions the settlement


345


CITY OF LEWISTON.


was prosecuted. It is evident that Bagley and Little took measures to secure their title; but it was not until 1790 that the grant " was confirmed."


The First Settler. - Paul Hildreth moved into the plantation of "Lewis- town" in the autumn of 1770. He built his log cabin on the bank of the river, just below the Continental Mill. Mr Hildreth was a native of Dracut, Mass., and possessed a roving, as well as a resolute, spirit. He married Miss Hannalı Merrill of Nottingham, N. H., where, it is said, he resided for nearly a year before he took up his residence here. In the autumn of 1770 his cabin was burned, and the family spent the winter in New Gloucester, but returned to Lewiston in the following spring, where he resided, with the exception of a short time in 1788, when he lived in Litchfield, until about 1802; he then removed to Gardiner, and died there about 1830. Tradition relates many adventures experienced during the early settlement of the place, of marvelous contests with venomous wild beasts which invaded the sanctity of the settle- ment; of women frightened; of children pursued by bears; of the destruction of cattle by huge and ferocious catamounts ; of the dread experienced as the dusky forms of the aborigines were seen gliding through the forests in pursuit of game. With the pioneers life was a sad and checkered reality. A trackless forest, fifteen miles in extent, lay between them and the nearest white settle- ment. Provisions were frequently short, and once for four days they were without food or fire. During these days of fasting and anxiety, Mrs Hildreth and an infant were the only persons in the settlement. Tradition also informs us that the first grant of land made by Bagley and Little was a present of fifty acres to Mrs Hildreth, as a testimonial of their respect for the first female settler of Lewiston. This tradition may be true, but so far no documents substantiate the claim. Mr Hildreth occupied this lot (No. 52 on the plan of Lewiston) until 1795, when he sold to Samuel Robinson, and took up a new lot. Hildreth established the first ferry in town, about half a mile below the falls, which passed into Robinson's hands. Mr Hildreth's family removed to Gardiner, where there are numerous descendants.


Shortly after Hildreth came, David Pettengill, of New Gloucester, moved into the place. Mr Pettengill was a native of North Yarmouth, and born September 5, 1734. He married Mercy, daughter of Benjamin and Mercy (Eaton) Lake, November 23, 1758. Mr Pettengill settled on the lot south of Hildreth, where he lived during the winter of 1770-71, the only settler in the plantation during that winter. He resided on this lot until after the com- mencement of the Revolution, when he entered the army, from which he never returned. His son, Benjamin, also entered the army, and after his return settled in Auburn. David, who married Thankful Graffam, settled on the lot now known as the Converse Farr place, and died October 1, 1848, aged 82 years. He had a family of eleven children, but only a small number of his descendants reside here.


·


346


HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.


Lawrence J. Harris was the third settler, and came from Dracut, Mass., in the spring of 1771. Mr Harris had been here the previous autumn, and made arrangements towards a permanent settlement. It has been said that he was induced to settle by Bagley and Little, who made very liberal offers of land, not only for himself but for his children. In the fall of 1770 he got out the frame of a saw-mill, which was raised October 29, but not completed until the next season. Mr Harris settled on what was known, after the survey of the plantation (1773), as the mill lot and comprised about 100 acres about the falls. Tradition informs us that this lot was one of those which he was to receive for settling here. Mr Harris built a house on this lot, which was located just west of the Lower Maine Central depot, where he lived until his death in 1784. It does not now appear that Mr Harris ever had a deed of a foot of this lot. The proprietors acknowledged their indebtedness to him at the time of his death, in the sum of £150, and in consideration of this conveyed to " Abner Harris, son and heir of Lawrence J. Harris, the whole of Mill lot, so-called," "excepting and reserving out of the same the mill privilege," also a piece of land 25 rods . wide, extending from the "mill privilege" to the Hildreth lot. Abner Harris resided a short distance west of Lincoln street and a few rods north of the cross canal. The well connected with the house is now in constant use. In 1810 Mr Harris sold this farm, the mill lot, and the one known as the Haley farm, to Dan and Lemuel Read, for $3,500, and removed to Ohio. The Reads sold to the Littles, who by this transfer came into possession of the most valuable portion of the Little and Bagley claim. Mr Harris had a large family, and his son, Barron, was probably the first male child born in the plantation. Several of these children settled in Greene, where descendants now live.


Asa Varnum, supposed to have been the fourth settler, came from Dracut about 1772, and built a log house nearly in front of the westerly end of Central block, and very near the center of Main street. He was probably employed by Mr Harris in the saw-mill. His daughter, Abigail, born September 21, 1773, was the first child born in Lewiston. Mr Varnum was drowned late in 1773, or the early part of 1774, nearly opposite the Catholic cemetery, while attempting to pass Dresser's Rips in a boat. His widow, Abigail, married Benjamin Winslow, of North Yarmouth, October 4, 1774, and died March 11, 1801. Mr Varnum's daughter, Abigail, resided at North Yarmouth, in the Winslow family, until her death, December 17, 1846.


Israel Herriek, ancestor of the Herricks in this vicinity, was a native of Topsfield, Mass., born December 3, 1721, and died in Lewiston, September 14, 1782. He came February 1, 1774, and for a short time occupied a part of Amos Davis's house. Mr Herriek's was the eighth family in the plantation. His son, John, settled at Barker's Mills and married Lydia Graffam, of Falmouth, March 14, 1780. For many years he kept the only public house in


347


CITY OF LEWISTON.


town. The Herriek house, built in 1800, is still standing, and is one of the oldest in town. Mr Herrick was selectman for many years, chairman of the first board, a representative to the General Court of Massachusetts for seven years, and served as delegate in the convention which met October 11, 1819, at Portland, to frame the Constitution of Maine. In all these positions he performed his duties with singular fidelity and ability, and to the satisfaction of those who had confided these interests to his care. He died March 27, 1834. His sons, Oliver and Ebenezer, were prominent men in town. Oliver commanded a company in the War of 1812, and was captured in the disastrous battle of Lake Champlain. After his return he became colonel of his regiment. For several years he was selectman, represented his native town in the state legislature for a number of years, was postmaster under the Taylor administra- tion, and died July 4, 1852. Ebenezer was a man of talent and culture; was delegate from Bowdoinham, where he then resided, to the convention which formed the constitution of Maine, in which he took an important part. Among the many able members of that convention, none were more clear in statement or more felicitous in expression. He was a representative to Congress from 1821-9, and a state senator in 1828 and 1829. Ilis son, Anson, was founder, editor, and proprietor of the New York Atlas. He was naval store-keeper in New York under Buchanan, and in 1862-3 a member of Congress.


Jesse Wright, of Dracut, settled in 1774 on the lot now known as the Davis Nevens farm, which he bought of Bagley and Little, May 29, 1774, for " three pounds of lawful money." The deed, still in existence, was acknowledged before Stephen Longfellow, of Portland, and witnessed by Nathan and Jonas Coburn. Mr Wright's first log house was just east of Meadow Brook. His brothers Joel and Timothy Wright came about 1777.


Amos Davis moved in from New Gloucester in 1774. He was born May 12, 1741, in Gloucester, Mass. Mr Davis, it is supposed, first settled on what has been known as the Marston farm, where he built a log house. Subsequently he built a house where is now the corner of Sabatis and Wood streets. He occupied this lot until his death, March 20, 1815. Mr Davis was a farmer, surveyor, and shoe-maker. In March, 1773, he was employed by the proprietors to make a survey of a part of the town. A plan of the town, made by him in 1795, showing the names and residences of the settlers at that time, is still in existence. He was a leading member of the Friends society, and a very exemplary man. His son, David, who kept the first store at Lowell's corner, was the second male child born in Lewiston. His children, four sons and a daughter, settled in Lewiston and have many descendants. His daughter, Mary, married Seth Tarr. Mr Davis gave the land for the old burying-ground on Sabatis street, and erected, at his own expense, a small building within its present inclosure, which was occupied for some years as a meeting-house for the Friends society, and for a school-house.


348


HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.


Jacob Barker came about 1774 and settled at Barker's Mills, on the lot next below John Herrick's, where he built a grist and saw mill. His son Cyrus inherited the farm, and his grandson, Nelson P. Barker, resided at the "Mills " for many years, and rebuilt them about 1836.


James Garcelon with wife, Deliverance Annis, and six children, came in March, 1776, from Freeport. He was the son of Rev. Peter Garcelon, who graduated from a Roman Catholic college in Clermont, France, became a priest, and filled that position in London from 1721 to 1739, when he went to the island of Guernsey, renounced Romanism, and united with the Episcopalians; was ordained minister of a church called "St Peters in the Wood," which position he held for 32 years. James Garcelon was great-grandfather of Dr Alonzo Garcelon, H. G. Garcelon, Capt. J. S. Garcelon. He soon took up land five miles down the river, that made him and his sons farms, erected buildings, established Garcelon's Ferry, and opened his house to entertain travelers. As this was when the settlement at the Falls was small and no · bridge crossed the river, most of the travel was across his ferry. Here he died November 13, 1813, aged 74. His wife died November 16, 1828, aged 93 years. Mr Garcelon had five sons and two danghters. ITis sons settled near the "Ferry." James was for many years a Baptist clergyman, doing much missionary work in destitute places, and died in 1838. William was one of the first merchants in town, and did an extensive business, was also engaged in lumbering and ship-building at Freeport. Lucy married Ezra Ames, and Sarah, the only child born in Lewiston, married Robert Moody. The Garcelon family have occupied a prominent place in the history of the town and city. Two of the family have been clergymen; four, physicians (the most distin- guished of whom is ex-Governor Garcelon, who, at the age of 78, is prosecuting with undiminished energy the duties of an exacting and laborious profession).


Josiah Mitchell came in the spring of 1776 and settled on the lot which had been taken up by Joel Thompson, who was then in the Revolutionary army. On his return the lot was divided and Mr Mitchell took the southwest end. He died August 19, 1832, leaving his farm to his son James. Mr Mitchell had a family of seven sons and five daughters.


Jonathan Hodgkin settled in Lewiston, April 1, 1777. His house was near the bank of the river a few rods above the Pingrce steam mill. Subsequently he settled about four miles below the falls. He died February 2, 1814. Of his four children, one, Betsey, who married Lovell Lincoln, was a constant resident of Lewiston for more than 90 years. She was three years old when her father moved into the plantation. Mr Hodgkin came from Cape Ann.


James Ames came from Oakham, Mass., in 1785, and settled on the farm now owned by Noah Litchfield, which he bought of William Garcclon. Mr Ames was a blacksmith, and undoubtedly the first one in Lewiston. He carried on blacksmithing in connection with his farm, and did excellent


349


CITY OF LEWISTON.


service for the settlers. Previous to his arrival the settlers were compelled to go to New Gloucester for the services of a blacksmith. Mr Ames kept a public house for many years. He died in 1815, and was buried in the old Garcelon burying-ground, on the bank of the river. His son Winslow eut his initials on a rude stone which marks his resting-place. This Winslow Ames was a man of considerable prominence in town affairs, and filled various offices. He was a member of the first board of selectmen, its chairman for two years, and captain of the Lewiston company of militia in 1804. Captain Ames was a man of fine presence and dignified bearing.


In November, 1788, Dan Read came from Attleborough, Mass., and settled in Lewiston. Mr Read was a young man without any family. He married Susannah, daughter of Stephen Hart, of Lewiston. Soon after he came into the plantation he commenced teaching school, and was one of the earliest school teachers in the place. His education and ability soon brought him into prominence, and for more than 30 years, commencing with 1800, there was no more prominent man in town affairs. Mr Read was selectman for 26 years, chairman of the board for 12 years, town clerk for 15 years, representative to the General Court of Massachusetts, and a representative to the Legislature of Maine in 1820 and several subsequent years. He was the first postmaster in Lewiston, to which office he was appointed in 1799, a position which he held until 1837. In all these various and important trusts he brought unquestioned ability and integrity, an honest and noble purpose, and he was gathered to his fathers after having attained the unusual age of 87 years. He died February 15, 1854. Mr Read had eight sons and five daughters.


Ebenezer Ham, grandfather of the late Colonel Ham, came from Shapleigh in March, 1789, and settled on a lot in the south part of Lewiston. He died in August, 1790. His son, James, married Mary Brooks, and lived on the farm until his death, February 4, 1854, aged 79 years. The farm is now in possession of the family, owned and occupied by Nelson Ham. James Ham was the father of Colonel Ham, and the grandfather of the late ex-Mayor J. B. Ham, of this city.


John Marshall came here about 1780, and settled on the lot owned and occupied so long by Mr David Davis. Mr Marshall was a wheelwright. He removed from this place to Industry, about 1803. His son, Alfred, was a repre- sentative to Congress in 1841-2. Job Cole, the ancestor of the Coles in Lewiston, was a native of North Yarmouth. He first settled in Greene, but came here quite early and settled on what is now known as the Asa P. Taylor place. Mr Cole had a large, family of sons and daughters. His son, Rev. Benjamin Cole, was a Baptist clergyman for more than thirty years, preaching for the most of the time in Lewiston. Thomas Taylor came from Dracut, Mass., before 1788, and lived for many years on the place known as the Charles Taylor farm. This was one of the best farms in town and has remained in the


350


HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.


Taylor family until recently. Mr Taylor's family consisted of ten sons and two daughters. William Blaisdell came from North Yarmouth, and settled on the lot now occupied by Daniel Wood and others. He died in 1818, aged 70 years. ITis son, Colonel Walter R. Blaisdell, succeeded to the homestead, built the brick house near Mr Wood's, and died in 1831, aged 55 years. There are no descendants in the city. William Golder came from New York when a young man, and purchased two lots of land in the Carville neighborhood. He married Dorcas, daughter of John Dill. His family consisted of five sons and three daughters. Mr Golder died in 1846. One of his sons, Jacob, was for many years an honored and respected Baptist elergyman. Ezra Randall eame from Bowdoinham about 1787, and settled on what has been known as the Randall place, near Thorne's Corner. His first house, probably built before 1790, is now standing, and is undoubtedly the oldest house in town. Mr Randall was for many years deaeon of the Old South (Baptist) church. He died in 1850, aged 84 years. His son, Foster Lee Randall, succeeded to the estate, and has beenpied it until recently. Deacon Randall married first, Miss Mary Whitten ; second, Miss Theoda Lee. Mr Randall had a family of seven sons and nine daughters. John Graffam married Elizabeth Davis, sister of Amos Davis, Sr, and settled here in 1776-7. They lived on the Captain William Jepson place. Mr Graffam had three sons and nine daughters. His son, John, married three wives, and had a family of ten sons and eight daughters.


Among the early settlers were Henry and William Carville, brothers, and the ancestors of the Carvilles in town. Henry was in the Revolutionary War, and for many years was a pensioner. He died in 1823 and William in 1829. Peter Lenfest came here about 1777, and married Lydia, daughter of Lawrence J. Harris. Mr Lenfest was a native of the Isle of Guernsey, in the English Channel. The house which he occupied for nearly 30 years is still standing. He had eight sons and four daughters. He died in 1820. His daughter, Lydia, married Israel Glidden, who owned the Lenfest estate for many years. Joel Thompson, a Revolutionary soldier, came quite early into the plantation and settled on what is even now known as the Thompson place, on the Webster road. He came from Topsham. Mr Thompson had six sons and five daughters. T. B. Thompson was one of his sons. Mr Thompson was one of the prominent men in the early history of the town, and filled many official positions, was a representative to the General Court of Massachusetts, for several years a member of the board of seleetmen, town clerk, and colonel of his regiment of militia, in all of which positions he showed ability. Colonel Thompson died in 1841, aged 87 years. Caleb Barker came here very early and settled on the Colonel Ham place. His son, Jacob, came into possession of the place and became quite a wealthy farmer. He died in 1824, aged 57 years. After his death the farm became the property of his son-in-law, the late Colonel Ebenezer Ham, who remained in possession until his death.


351


CITY OF LEWISTON.


Joseph Field was a native of Northampton, Mass., and came from Freeport to Lewiston. He settled on the place now occupied by the venerable Deacon Stephen Davis, and died there in 1815, aged 66 years. Deacon Field " fought at Bunker Hill." Only a few of his descendants now remain in Lewiston. Tobias Ham was one of the early settlers. He was a native of Brunswick, and married Elizabeth Herrick, sister of John Herrick, Esq. His farm was on the Webster road, some two miles from the city. He died in 1812, aged 60 years.


The growth of the southern part of the plantation was slow, the settlement incorporated as Greene, in 1788, attracting more. In 1790 Lewiston had 532 inhabitants, and, February 18, 1795, it was incorporated the ninety-fifth town, with these boundaries: Beginning at the bank of Androscoggin river at the most westerly corner of the town of Greene, thence running southeast on the southerly line of Greene about 6 miles to the Plymouth Company's claim, 6 miles and 230 rods, thenee southwest about 260 rods to Androscoggin river, thence northerly by said river to the bounds first mentioned. Daniel Davis was empowered by Benjamin Merrill, Esq., of Greene, to call the first town meeting, which was held at the house of Jedediah Morrell, April 6, 1795. John Herrick was chosen moderator; Noah Litchfield, clerk; John Herrick, Joel Thompson, Winslow Ames, James Garcelon, Daniel Davis, selectmen ; Abner Harris, treasurer; Nathan Cutler, collector; James Ames, Nathan Cutler, constables; Nathan Cutler, Abner Harris, David Pettengill, Robert Anderson, Ezra Purrinton, James Garcelon, James Turner, Joel Wright, Amos Davis, Jr, highway surveyors; John Marshall, Oliver Barron, Benjamin Moors, Mark Garcelon, surveyors of lumber; Samuel Robinson, Ezra Purrinton, field drivers; Joseph Fields, William Blaisdell, Joel Wright, William Garcelon, "tiding-men "; Michael Little, Samuel Stephens, Ezra Purrinton, Thomas Rann, William Golder, Jacob Barker, hog-reeves. In 1807 Lewiston cast 40 votes for, 46 against separation from Massachusetts; in 1816 73 votes for, 83 against separation ; in 1819 on the same question 92 voted for, 36 against. The vote to adopt the state constitution stood 66 in favor, 1 opposed. In the War of 1812 Captain Oliver Herrick raised a company which served in 1813 on Lake Champlain. Samuel R. Read, John P. Read, and Jonathan Ray were prisoners at Montreal and Quebee for one year from July, 1813. In September, 1814, Colonel Walter R. Blaisdell's regiment of militia was ordered into service. Two companies were from Lewiston, the North company, under Captain Nathaniel Sleeper, and the South company, under Captain George Williams. They were in service less than a month, but a small number drafted from them served some months.




Need help finding more records? Try our genealogical records directory which has more than 1 million sources to help you more easily locate the available records.