History of Androscoggin County, Maine, Part 107

Author: Merrill, Georgia Drew, ed
Publication date: 1891
Publisher: Boston, W.A. Fergusson & co.
Number of Pages: 1050


USA > Maine > Androscoggin County > History of Androscoggin County, Maine > Part 107


Note: The text from this book was generated using artificial intelligence so there may be some errors. The full pages can be found on Archive.org (link on the Part 1 page).


Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5 | Part 6 | Part 7 | Part 8 | Part 9 | Part 10 | Part 11 | Part 12 | Part 13 | Part 14 | Part 15 | Part 16 | Part 17 | Part 18 | Part 19 | Part 20 | Part 21 | Part 22 | Part 23 | Part 24 | Part 25 | Part 26 | Part 27 | Part 28 | Part 29 | Part 30 | Part 31 | Part 32 | Part 33 | Part 34 | Part 35 | Part 36 | Part 37 | Part 38 | Part 39 | Part 40 | Part 41 | Part 42 | Part 43 | Part 44 | Part 45 | Part 46 | Part 47 | Part 48 | Part 49 | Part 50 | Part 51 | Part 52 | Part 53 | Part 54 | Part 55 | Part 56 | Part 57 | Part 58 | Part 59 | Part 60 | Part 61 | Part 62 | Part 63 | Part 64 | Part 65 | Part 66 | Part 67 | Part 68 | Part 69 | Part 70 | Part 71 | Part 72 | Part 73 | Part 74 | Part 75 | Part 76 | Part 77 | Part 78 | Part 79 | Part 80 | Part 81 | Part 82 | Part 83 | Part 84 | Part 85 | Part 86 | Part 87 | Part 88 | Part 89 | Part 90 | Part 91 | Part 92 | Part 93 | Part 94 | Part 95 | Part 96 | Part 97 | Part 98 | Part 99 | Part 100 | Part 101 | Part 102 | Part 103 | Part 104 | Part 105 | Part 106 | Part 107 | Part 108


Nathan A. Soule also became Methodist preachers. The ministers who preached on this circuit prior to 1865 are as near as can be ascertained: Revs. Joshua Soule, John T. Adams, Dr Henry Adams, Samuel Hillman, Samuel Thompson, John Wilkinson, David Stimpson, Aaron Humphrey, Eli Howe, Allen H. Cobb, Joshua Randall, Charles Virgin, Philip Munger, George Webber, D.D., David Copeland, Abel Alton, Benjamin Burnham, Asa Greene, S. P. Blake, Benjamin Foster, Alvah Hatch, John True, Joseph Gerry, James Farrington, Daniel Dyer, E. H. Gammon, Samuel Ambrose, Daniel Water- house, Caleb Mugford, Joseph Hawkes, W. C. Stevens, S. W. Pierce, S. B. Bailey, S. S. Gray, Isaac Lord. From 1865 the pastors have been: 1866, 1867, Francis Grosvenor; 1868, M. B. Cummings; 1869, Jonathan Fairbanks; 1871, 1872, Thomas Hillman ; 1873, 1874, H. B. Wardwell; 1875, Thomas J. True ; 1876, William H. Trafton; 1877, 1878, 1879, N. C. Clifford; 1880, Samuel R. Bailey ; 1881, 1882, 1883, Walter Canham; 1884, 1885, 1886, M. K. Mabry; 1887, 1888, 1889, 1890, C. M. Abbott; 1891, S. E. Dunham. Meetings have been sustained, prosperity and decline, and again prosperity, has been the con- dition of the society, and much good has been accomplished. The church at North Livermore was organized in June, 1871, with 27 members from the class formed here in 1857, and the former residence of Colonel Stone was purchased and remodelled into a convenient church. In 1877, in the pastorate of Rev.


866


HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.


N. C. Clifford, an appropriate chapel was built at Livermore Village, and in 1878, through the strenuous labors of the same pastor, the old church at the Centre was thoroughly repaired and again occupied. The three churches were valued in 1886 at $3,000.


Universalism. - During the years before and after 1800 there was preaching in school-houses and dwellings by ministers of this faith. Rev. Isaac Root and Rev. Thomas Barns labored with fruitful results. In the town records of October, 1807, there is a mention of the " Universal Society." In 1807, November 24, a society was formed; Capt. Samuel Atwood was elected moderator; Dr Cornelius Holland, clerk, moderator, and collector; and it was voted to raise money by subscription for the support of preaching, and these were the subscribers: Thomas Bryant, Cornelius Holland, Isaac King, Samuel Beals, Ezra Parker, John Wormwell, Joseph Horsley, Daniel Child, Asa Has- kell, Joseph Mills, Henry Sawtelle, Ephraim Griffeth, William Cooper, Hezekiah Bryant, Simeon Waters, Samuel Atwood, David Learned, Israel Paul, Gideon Southworth, John Leavitt, John Griffeth, Jr, Abel Delano, John Griffeth, David Morse, Isaac Hamlin, Rouse H. Leavitt, Jonathan Morse, John Turner, Samuel Benjamin, Jonathan Bryant, Jesse Stone. Rev. Mr Root preached a part of the time in 1808-9-10-11, and Rev. Mr Barns occasionally. At a parish meeting, March 4, 1809, Capt. Simeon Waters was chosen moderator, and Dr Holland, clerk and treasurer, and voted to pay Mr Root $4 a Sunday. In 1814, voted to employ a minister, and Abijah Monroe and David Morse were chosen to engage one ; also voted to hold the meetings at the school-house, near Dr Bradford's. In 1816 Rev. Mr Sargeant preached for a short time at $5 a Sunday. This year a Universalist convention was held in the Baptist meeting- house. In 1817 Dr Benjamin Bradford, Israel Washburn, and Samuel Beals were committee to procure a preacher. May, 1819, Benjamin Bradford, Israel Washburn, and Capt. John Leavitt were chosen a standing committee, and Israel Washburn, Jesse Stone, Reuel Washburn, Ebenezer Hinds, Jr, and Ephraim Pray were to make arrangements for the association which was to be held in June. It was also voted " that the standing committee be empowered to find a home for our minister." Among the ministers who preached between 1811 and 1819 were the Rev. Thomas Barns, Rev. Mr Butterfield, Rev. William Farwell, and probably Rev. B. Streeter. Between 1819 and 1827 there was preaching, usually half of the time, by Mr Streeter, and the Revs. Wm A. Drew, Jabez Woodman, George Bates, Sylvanus Cobb, and others.


In 1827 measures were taken for the building of a church, and, September 8, a parish meeting was held; William H. Brettun was elected moderator, and Dr Bradford, clerk. Otis Pray, Jesse Stone, William H. Brettun, Isaac Strick- land, Ebenezer Hinds, Jr, Daniel Coolidge, and Daniel Briggs were appointed to fix on a suitable site for a meeting-house, estimate the expense, and ascertain the number that would assist in defraying it; and two weeks were allowed


867


TOWN OF LIVERMORE.


them to make their report. At the adjournment it was voted "that the most suitable site for the meeting-house is between the dwelling-houses of Israel Washburn and Otis Pray." October 6, Ebenezer Hinds, Jr, Abner Holman, Reuel Washburn, Henry Aldrich, and Simeon Waters were made a committee to appraise the pews. The meeting was adjourned to October 20, when a building committee, Henry Aldrich, Benjamin Bradford, and Otis Pray was appointed. The house was completed by the spring of 1829, and, June 18, the church at the Norlands was dedicated, the Rev. William A. Drew preaching the sermon from John ii: 16. The house had a capacity for seating 400 persons, was of fine proportions, and was surmounted by a graceful spire. The church was repaired in 1839, under the direction of Ebenezer Hinds, Jr, Otis Pray, and Samuel P. Holman, and, in 1850, Otis Pray, Daniel Briggs, and M. M. Stone were the committee "to repair the building."


After the erection of the church its pulpit was supplied by Messrs Bates and Drew and Rev. Seth Stetson until 1832. Rev. Jeremiah Stoddard was the minister in 1832 and 1833, Rev. Jabez Woodman in 1834 and 1836, Rev. George Bates in 1835. Rev. George W. Quimby was settled as pastor in 1837 and remained four years. In 1839 Rev. Mr Quimby, Israel Washburn, and Clarendon Waters were a committee to report a constitution and by-laws for the parish. Rev. Ezekiel Vose succeeded Mr Quimby in 1840 and was pastor until 1843, when Rev. Robert Blacker, of Norridgewock, was called to the pastorate, continued until 1850. Rev. Frederic Foster was his successor until 1855. From 1855 until 1874 the preachers were Revs W. R. French, D. T. Stevens, and O. H. Johnson. In 1873 the church was thoroughly repaired. Changes in the line of travel, in business, and in the residence of members made the building of a church at the village necessary. Without any division or secession of members, but that better accommodations might be secured, a handsome church with a vestry in the basement was erected in 1869. It was dedicated in November, 1869, the Rev. Amory Battles, of Bangor, preaching the sermon. A fine-toned bell was hung in 1870, and a good organ was obtained by the active exertions of the ladies of the parish. Maj. Isaac Strickland, Col Lee Strickland, Col Silas Morse, Orison Rollins, Esq., Hiram Briggs, Charles Springer, William Pollard, William HI. Bennett, Sumner and Richard Morse, Palmer Elliot, Sumner Soule, N. Turner, S. Phillips, and others took an active interest in the erection of this church. Since 1875 the society has been ministered to by Rev. William Pratt, Rev. A. J. Aubrey, Rev. R. B. Davis, Rev. H. C. Munson, Rev. W. R. French, and others.


Adventists. - A small number hold to the tenets of this faith and meetings are held. They have been considered a society since 1859. Rev. D. H. Kilbreth is a resident of the town.


Temperance societies have been well sustained and the Good Templars have of late years maintained two lodges.


868


HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.


Dr Cyrus Hamlin was the first physician and erected his house where " The Norlands " stands. He married Anna, daughter of Deacon Livermore; she died August 25, 1852. He was moderator of the town meeting in 1795. When the people of Livermore wished him to settle among them, they could not promise him business enough to support him, but agreed that he and his horse should be taken care of gratuitously, so for one year he boarded around like the country schoolmaster. When the county of Oxford was established, Dr Hamlin was the first clerk of the court, and in 1805 removed to Paris, the county seat, became sheriff, and died in 1829. His children were: Hon. Elijah Livermore Hamlin, born in Livermore, March 29, 1800, in the house built by his father and afterwards purchased by Israel Washburn. He was graduated from Brown University in 1819, and was a lawyer by profession ; was a repre- sentative and senator in the state legislature from Livermore, member of the executive council, state land agent, and mayor of Bangor; in 1854 he was U. S. commissioner under the treaty with Great Britain to define the fishing limits between the two countries. He was a man of fine education, and his probity of character and genial disposition made him universally respected and beloved. He died in Bangor in 1872. Cyrus, born 1802, graduated as M.D. from Bowdoin in 1828, settled at Calais, and died in 1839. Eliza. Anna, born 1805, married Hon. Daniel Brown, of Waterford. Vesta, born 1808, married Dr Job Holmes, of Calais. Hon. Hannibal Hamlin, LL.D., was born in Paris, August 27, 1809, and died July 4, 1891, at Bangor. He located in Hampden as a lawyer, but later removed to Bangor. He was one of Maine's most distinguished and honored sons. He was representative to the legislature in 1836, 1837, 1838, 1839, 1840, and 1847; speaker of the house in 1837, 1839, and 1840; aid-de-camp to Governor John Fairfield in 1839; representative to the 28th and 29th Congresses in 1843 to 1847; U. S. senator 1848 to 1856; governor in 1857; U. S. senator in 1857 to 1861; Vice-President of the United States 1861 to 1865; collector of the port of Boston in 1865 and 1866; U. S. senator in 1869 to 1881; minister to Spain in 1881, resigned in 1883, and returned to Bangor. The degree of LL.D. was conferred upon him by Colby University in 1869. Hannah, married Dr T. B. Townsend.


Dr Cornelius Holland practiced here a few years after 1805. He after- wards settled at Canton. He was a fine physician and prominent in affairs of state and nation. He was state senator from Oxford county two terms, and thrice elected representive to the U. S. Congress. He died in Canton, June 2, 1870, aged nearly 87 years. Dr Benjamin Prescott succeeded Dr Hamlin. He was the first postmaster. He remained until 1809, when he sold his house to Dr Benjamin Bradford, a native of Turner, who moved to Livermore in August of that year, and was a resident until his death in May, 1864, aged 80 years. As a physician he was careful and judicious, and had a large and successful practice ; as a man he was genial, wise, and of rare humor; as a


869


TOWN OF LIVERMORE.


citizen, useful and honored. He was the second postmaster, and treasurer of town over half a century. He was for several years a member of the Maine legislature from Livermore, and in 1841 was a member of the executive council, and was much esteemed by Governors Lincoln and Kent. He was notable for his good sense and remarkable conversational powers, and was the centre of the social circle. He married Martha Bisbee, who died in 1863. Of his 13 children these survived him: Flora (Mrs Merritt Coolidge) ; Oscu (Mrs John W. Bigelow, of Livermore ; Celia, Mrs Elisha Coolidge; Henry Bond, farmer, who resided on the old place, and was town treasurer many years ; Martha, Mrs Joseph Locke; Algernon Sidney, a farmer in Minnesota.


Physicians. - Dr Timothy Howe came about 1814, and afterwards moved to Turner, where he was prominent. His son, Timothy O. Howe, was born in Liver- more, February 24, 1816, passing his childhood in Turner. He was educated to the bar and emigrated to Wisconsin after 1845, and settled at Green Bay, where he practiced law with success, and was judge of the circuit and supreme courts five years. From 1861 to 1879 he was U. S. senator from Wisconsin. Soon after this he was appointed one of the U. S. commissioners to the Inter- national Monetary Congress at Paris by President Garfield, and in December, 1881, he was made postmaster-general by President Arthur, where he did most excellent work until his death, March 25, 1883. He was an active Republican and a leader in all public matters in his state. Dr S. B. Morison was in practice at the village for several years and surgeon in the 2d Me. Drs Barnard, William Drown, Albert L. Frye, J. W. Bridgham, John Ladd, and I. C. Dunham have been physicians in the town. Dr Ladd died in April, 1888; he had practiced medicine 36 years. Dr Adams was here for a few years. Dr Eli Edgecomb, son of Benjamin and Sally Edgecomb, was born in Livermore, in August, 1811, receiving his medical degree at Bowdoin College, May 9, 1841. After years of practice he located at Livermore in 1883. He was a member of Maine Medical and Androscoggin Medical Associations, and has been president and secretary of the latter. He died in October, 1891.


Lawyers. - The earliest lawyers were - - Strong, Jonathan G. Hunton, Ezra Kingman, Asa King, Harry Wood, and Richard Belcher, but their stay here was but for a few years. For Reuel Washburn (see page 315). For Seth D. Washburn (see page 329). Barzillai Streeter was here for a short time before 1840.


Education. - Livermore people from the first were interested in knowledge. The best works of standard authors passed from hand to hand. Deacon Elijah Livermore, General Learned, Artemas Leonard, Dr Cyrus Hamlin, Dr Bradford, and Israel Washburn were good talkers, and often the old store or office of the public house would be packed with people, as quiet as if at a lecture, to hear them talk of the books they had read, the subjects treated of, their ideas upon them, the merits of the authors, the news in the Boston and


870


HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.


Portland papers, which came to two or three. Goldsmith's public house of " The Deserted Village" well illustrates these occasions. And if they did discuss "news older than their ale," it was news to the listeners and not lost upon them. As soon as circumstances admitted a "Social Library" was provided, in which valuable works of history and travel filled the larger space. This was kept at Dr Bradford's, and the choice selection in his private library was at the service of the people. At the first town meeting £40 was voted for the support of schools, and Elisha Williams, Samuel Benjamin, and Ransom Norton were chosen a committee to divide the town into school districts. In 1796 a committee was appointed to take the number of scholars in each district. In 1801 the inhabitants voted to raise $900 to build school-houses, that the school-houses in each district be built "not less than 26 feet by 20 and 8 feet stud with a hipped roof with 6 foot Ridgepole." One built early in the century was described as "an old-fashioned square building with a hipped roof, and unpainted. There were two enormous fire-places, where wood, which cost nothing then but the hauling, was burned at the rate of about a cord a day." May 9, 1803, Elijah Livermore, Cyrus Hamlin, and Nathaniel Perley were chosen to petition the General Court to sell the school lands. In 1807 the town gave the trustees of the school fund the control of the interest to expend for a school the present year. In 1810 it was voted to divide the school money according to the number of scholars in each district under 21 years of age. The teachers were well qualified, did good work The spelling and speaking schools and debating clubs of that day were of more benefit to the scholars than the base-ball, tennis, and gymnastics of this enlightened age. At the present time there are 17 school districts, and a Union district (with Jay).


Livermore, especially that portion in the vicinity of the Norlands, attracted attention at an early day from its favorable situation and exquisite beauty of landscape. Gen. David Learned and Dr Cyrus Hamlin settled here and built capacious residences in the last century. Both were prominent and influential men, and on the organization of Oxford county Gen. Learned was appointed sheriff, and Dr Hamlin clerk of the courts. As Dr Hamlin's appointment necessitated his removal to the county seat (Paris), his Livermore home became the property of Israel Washburn in 1809, and in the house built by the doctor all Mr Washburn's children were born. Hon. Elijah Livermore Hamlin, long prominent in Maine politics, son of Dr Hamlin, was here born. (Hon. Hannibal Hamlin was born a few months after Dr Hamlin moved to Paris.) At the Norlands and in its immediate neighborhood many prominent men have resided. Among them were Dr Cornelius Holland, the successor of Dr Hamlin as a physician, who later lived in Canton, and was four years member of Congress; Hon. Jonathan G. Hunton, afterwards governor of Maine; Dr Benjamin Bradford, member of the executive council; Simeon


871


TOWN OF LIVERMORE.


Waters and Israel Washburn, Sen., many times members of the General Court of Massachusetts ; Dr Benjamin Prescott, a distinguished physician; Gen. Publius R. R. Pray, who became judge of the High Court of Errors and Appeals in Mississippi ; and other notabilities.


Washburn Memorial Library, erected at the Norlands in honor of their father and mother by Hon. Elihu B. Washburn and Gen. W. D. Washburn, was dedicated August 27, 1884. It is 32 x 48 feet in size, built of Hallowell granite in the Gothic architecture, is beautifully frescoed inside, and is admirably adapted to its purpose; cost $10,000, and has alcoves for 7,000 volumes. The library of 5,000 volumes is free to the people of the territory of the original town of Livermore. W. P. Washburn, Esq., is librarian. A gallery of portraits of prominent citizens and early settlers is connected. At the time of the dedication the portraits of these people were on the walls: Israel Washburn, Sen., Mrs Israel Washburn, ex-Governor Israel Washburn, Jr, A. S. Washburn, ex-Governor C. C. Washburn, Gen. W. D. Washburn, Hon. Reuel Washburn, Dr Benjamin Bradford, Capt. Otis Pray, Hon. Cornelius Holland, David Benjamin, Mrs David Benjamin, Samuel Morison, Mrs Samuel Morison, Dr Cyrus Hamlin, Hon. Hannibal Hamlin. Many articles of great historical value are here preserved. Among them are the saddle and spurs used by Gen. U. S. Grant during the Civil War, and the inkstand used by Generals Grant and Lee when signing the terms of Lee's capitulation. They were given to Hon. Elihu B. Washburn by General Grant.


CIVIL LIST .- 1795- Samuel Hillman, clerk; David Learned, Sylvanus Boardman, Pelatiah Gibbs, selectmen. 1796- Samuel Hillman, clerk; David Learned, Sylvanus Boardman, Thomas Chace, selectmen. 1797 - Cyrus Hamlin, clerk; David Learned, Hanes Learned, Isaac Livermore, selectmen. 1798 - Cyrus Hamlin, clerk; Isaac Livermore, Abijah Munroe, Daniel Clark, selectmen. 1799 - Elisha Williams, clerk; Benjamin True, David Learned, Abijah Munroe, selectmen. 1800 -David Learned, clerk; Abijah Munroe, Nathaniel Perley, Pelatiah Gibbs, Peter Hanes, Uriah Foss, selectmen. 1801 - David Learned, clerk; Sylvanns Boardman, Nathaniel Perley, Pelatiah Gibbs, Samuel Benjamin, Uriah Foss, selectmen. 1802- David Learned, clerk; Pelatiah Gibbs, James Starbird, Nathaniel Perley, Samuel Benjamin, Jesse Stone, selectmen. 1803- Nathaniel Perley, clerk; David Learned, Jesse Stone, Samnel Benjamin, selectmen. 1804- Sarson Chace, clerk; Jesse Stone, Nathaniel Perley, Samuel Benjamin, selectmen. 1805-Sarson Chace, clerk; Jesse Stone, Nathaniel Perley, Simeon Waters, selectmen. 1806-Sarson Chace, clerk; Jesse Stone, Simeon Waters, Nathaniel Perley, selectmen. 1807 - Sarson Chace, clerk; Simeon Waters, Nathaniel Perley, Jacob Gibbs, selectmen. 1808 - Sarson Chace, clerk; Nathaniel Perley, Jesse Stone, Peler Hanes, selectmen. 1809- Simeon Waters, clerk; Nathaniel Perley, Peter Hanes, Thomas Chase, Jr, selectmen. 1810-Simeon Waters, clerk; Nathaniel Perley, Jesse Stone, William Morison, selectmen. 1811 -Thomas Chase, Jr, clerk; Nathaniel Perley, William Morison, Samuel Livermore, selectmen. 1812- Thomas Chase, Jr, clerk; Nathaniel Perley, Samnel Livermore, William Morison, selectmen. 1813- Israel Wash- burn, clerk; Samuel Livermore, William Morison, Samuel Atwood, selectmen. 1814-1815 - Israel Washburn, clerk; Nathaniel Perley, Ebenezer Turner, Samuel Atwood, selectmen. 1816- Israel Washburn, clerk; Nathaniel Perley, Ebenezer Turner, Ira Thompson, selectmen. 1817 - Simeon Waters, clerk; Jesse Stone, Peter Haines, Israel Washburn, selectmen. 1818-Simeon Waters, clerk; Israel Washburn, Aaron Barton, Zebulon Norton, selectmen. 1819 -Simeon Waters, clerk; Israel Washburn, Amos Hobbs, Zebulon Norton, selectmen. 1820-1821- Charles Barrell, clerk; Zebulon Norton, Amos Hobbs, Josiah Hobbs, selectmen. 1822-1823 - Charles Barrell, clerk; Zebulon Norton, Amos Hobbs, John Leavitt, selectmen. 1824 - Charles Barrell, clerk; Zebulon Norton, John S. Stone, John Leavitt, selectmen. 1825-1826 - Thomas Chase, Jr, clerk; Zebulon Norton, Josiah Cutler, John


872


HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.


Leavitt, selectmen. 1827-1828- Charles Barrell, clerk; Zebulon Norton, Ephraim Pray, John Leavitt, selectmen. 1829- George Bates, clerk; Zebulon Norton, Samuel Morison, John Strickland, select- men. 1830-Reuel Washburn, clerk; John Leavitt, Samuel Morison, John Strickland, selectmen. 1831 - Reuel Washburn, clerk; Zebulon Norton, Amos Hobbs, John Strickland, selectmen. 1832- James Chase, clerk; Zebulon Norton, Ebenezer Turner, John Strickland, selectmen. 1833 - Tristram


Hillman, clerk; John Leavitt, Samuel Morison, John Strickland, selectmen. 1834 - Tristram Hillman, clerk; Zebulon Norton, Amos Hobbs, John Strickland, selectmen. 1835-Tristram Hillman, clerk; Zebulon Norton, Samuel Morison, John Strickland, selectmen. 1836 - Tristram Hillman, clerk; Zebulon Norton, Aaron Barton, Jr, John Strickland, selectmen. 1837-1838-1839-Tristram Hillman, clerk; John Strickland, Aaron Barton, Jr, Hezekiah Atwood, selectmen. 1840-1841-1842- 1843 - Tristram Hillman, clerk; Hezekialı Atwood, Aaron Barton, Jr, Isaac Strickland, selectmen. 1844- Tristram Hillman, clerk; Hezekialı Atwood, Isaac Strickland, Josiah Hobbs, selectmen. 1845- Tristram Hillman, clerk; Hezekiah Atwood, Josiah Hobbs, Sylvester Norton, selectmen. 1846- Robert Blacker, clerk; Isaac Strickland, Matthew M. Stone, Ulmer Perley, selectmen. (Hezekiah Atwood was chosen April 27, to fill the vacancy occasioned by Mr Strickland's moving into Turner.) 1847-1848 - John Munroe, Jr, clerk; Hezekiah Atwood, John Strickland, Sylvester Norton, selectmen. 1849-1850- John Munroe, Jr, clerk; John Strickland, Sylvester Norton, Stephen Leavitt, selectmen. 1851 - John Munroe, Jr, clerk; Sylvester Norton, Stephen Leavitt, Daniel Briggs, selectmen. 1852- John Munroe, Jr, clerk; John Strickland, Daniel Briggs, Granville Childs, selectmen. 1853 - John Munroe, clerk; Hezekiah Atwood, Isaac Strickland, Tristram Hillman, selectmen. 1854 - Salathiel Tilton, clerk; Hezekiah Atwood, Isaac Strickland, Tristram Hillman, selectmen. 1855 - Charles W. Fuller, clerk; Tristram Hillman, John Munroe, Jr, Clarendon Waters, selectmen. 1856-1857 - Salathiel Tilton, clerk; Isaac Strickland, Clarendon Waters, Stephen Leavitt, selectmen. 1858-1859- Salathiel Tilton, clerk; Tristram Hillman, Sewall M. Norton, Cyrus Soper, selectmen. 1860 - Salathiel Tilton, clerk; Tristram Hillman, Cyrus Soper, Franklin Gibbs, selectmen. 1861 - Salathiel Tilton, clerk; Tristram Hillman, Cyrus Soper, J. D. Thompson, selectmen. 1862- Salathiel Tilton, clerk; Lee Strickland, Cyrus Soper, J. D. Thompson, selectmen. 1863- Salathiel Tilton, clerk; Cyrus Soper, Orison Rollins, J. B. Goding, selectmen. 1864-1865 - Salathiel Tilton, clerk; Orison Rollins, A. C. Harlow, John White, selectmen. 1866-1867 -S. F. Perley, clerk; T. Hillman, Cyrus Soper, Sumner Soule, selectmen. 1868-S. F. Perley, clerk; T. Hillman, Clarendon Waters, John A. Hayes, select- men. 1869- S. F. Perley, clerk; Cyrus Soper, Jolin A. Hayes, Lewis M. Wing, selectmen. 1870-


S. F. Perley, clerk; Cyrus Soper, Henry Bradford, Lewis M. Wing, selectmen. 1871-S. F. Perley, clerk; Cyrus Soper, John A. Hayes, G. B. Strickland, selectmen. 1872-S. F. Perley, clerk; Cyrus Soper, J. A. Hayes, C. W. Fuller, selectmen. 1873-S. F. Perley, clerk; Orison Rollins, G. B. Strick- land, William H. Thompson, selectmen. 1874-1875-1876-S. F. Perley, clerk; C. W. Fuller, William H. Thompson, A. H. Strickland, selectmen. 1877-S. F. Perley, clerk; Cyrus Soper, J. D. Thompson, E. L. Philoon, selectmen. 1878-1879-S. F. Perley, clerk; Cyrus Soper, George T. Piper, Millett Cummings, selectmen. 1880-S. F. Perley, clerk; G. B. Strickland, E. L. Philoon, J. N. Atwood, selectmen. 1881-S. F. Perley, clerk; E. L. Philoon, J. N. Atwood, L. B. Thompson, selectmen. 1882-G. B. Strickland, clerk; E. L. Philoon, J. N. Atwood, L. B. Thompson, selectmen. 1883 - G. B. Strickland, clerk; J. N. Atwood, W. H. Thompson, Sidney Boothby, selectmen. 1884 -G. B. Strickland, clerk; G. B. Strickland, W. F. Fuller, Millett Cummings, selectmen. 1885-1886-C. E. Knight, clerk; G. T. Piper, Charles Pike, I. T. Munroe, selectmen. 1887 - William N. Bennett, clerk; G. T. Piper, Charles Pike, I. T. Munroe, selectmen. 1888-W. N. Bennett, clerk; I. T. Munroe, A. G. Timberlake, E. P'ratt, selectmen. 1889- W. N. Bennett, clerk; William Pratt, William Thompson, Calvin R. Leach, selectmen. 1890-1891 - W. N. Bennett, clerk; Edward Pratt, William H. Thompson, C. R. Leach, selectmen.




Need help finding more records? Try our genealogical records directory which has more than 1 million sources to help you more easily locate the available records.