History of Androscoggin County, Maine, Part 99

Author: Merrill, Georgia Drew, ed
Publication date: 1891
Publisher: Boston, W.A. Fergusson & co.
Number of Pages: 1050


USA > Maine > Androscoggin County > History of Androscoggin County, Maine > Part 99


Note: The text from this book was generated using artificial intelligence so there may be some errors. The full pages can be found on Archive.org (link on the Part 1 page).


Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5 | Part 6 | Part 7 | Part 8 | Part 9 | Part 10 | Part 11 | Part 12 | Part 13 | Part 14 | Part 15 | Part 16 | Part 17 | Part 18 | Part 19 | Part 20 | Part 21 | Part 22 | Part 23 | Part 24 | Part 25 | Part 26 | Part 27 | Part 28 | Part 29 | Part 30 | Part 31 | Part 32 | Part 33 | Part 34 | Part 35 | Part 36 | Part 37 | Part 38 | Part 39 | Part 40 | Part 41 | Part 42 | Part 43 | Part 44 | Part 45 | Part 46 | Part 47 | Part 48 | Part 49 | Part 50 | Part 51 | Part 52 | Part 53 | Part 54 | Part 55 | Part 56 | Part 57 | Part 58 | Part 59 | Part 60 | Part 61 | Part 62 | Part 63 | Part 64 | Part 65 | Part 66 | Part 67 | Part 68 | Part 69 | Part 70 | Part 71 | Part 72 | Part 73 | Part 74 | Part 75 | Part 76 | Part 77 | Part 78 | Part 79 | Part 80 | Part 81 | Part 82 | Part 83 | Part 84 | Part 85 | Part 86 | Part 87 | Part 88 | Part 89 | Part 90 | Part 91 | Part 92 | Part 93 | Part 94 | Part 95 | Part 96 | Part 97 | Part 98 | Part 99 | Part 100 | Part 101 | Part 102 | Part 103 | Part 104 | Part 105 | Part 106 | Part 107 | Part 108


Emery S. Warren has been a merchant and trader for half a century, and conversant with town affairs, having served as town clerk, selectman, and chairman of the Board, and has also represented Durham in the legislature. Mr Warren married a daughter of Abraham Whitney, of Lisbon. His son, George E. Warren, conducts business with him, and has been town clerk for several years. Emery S. Warren was treasurer of Acacia Lodge, F. & A. M., for many years.


George W. Nichols, son of David M. and Margaret (Doane) Nichols, was born in 1833 in Weld, Me. He is a great-grandson of Capt. Samuel Nichols, of Massachusetts. His parents and his grandfather, Thomas Nichols, were natives of Durham, and were of the Methodist faith. His great-grandfather was John Randall, an early settler. In 1868 Mr Nichols established himself as a manu- facturer in Durham, and for several years made wagons and sleighs. At present he attends to the repairing and painting of carriages. He is a Repub- lican, has held the office of town clerk, and is a good citizen. His wife, Matilda, is a daughter of Greenfield and Sarah (Gerrish) Harris, and a descendant of Capt. Charles Gerrish. Children : Rozella M. (Mrs Ralph J. Haskell, of New Gloucester), Charles F., Sarah L. (Mrs Charles A. Merrill, of Auburn), Trull Doane, Annie H., and Mary O. 25 acres of the place now owned by George H. Estes was sold for taxes December 29, 1791, by " York Collector " for 17 shillings. This land was subsequently purchased by Richard Doane and was inherited by his grandson, George W. Nichols, who sold it about 1860, and it is now valued at $20 an acre.


Jonathan Libby moved to Durham in 1847, and went into business as a cooper with Edward Dow. About 1850 he bought Mr Dow out, and was in the business until his death, May 25, 1882. He was a leading temperance man and one of the first Republicans in town. He was in the legislature in 1868, and town treasurer from 1866 to 1869. Samuel B. Libby, his son, born in North Yarmouth, January 29, 1843, had good educational advantages, and taught a winter school in Brunswick in 1861. He enlisted July 21, 1862, and


805


TOWN OF DURHAM.


served until July 5, 1865. He was transferred to the signal corps with Colonel Dahlgren in 1864, was taken prisoner on the " Dahlgren raid," and was imprisoned at Andersonville and other rebel prisons until November 30, 1864, when he was paroled at Savannah. In January, 1868, Mr Libby again became a resident of Durham, and has since carried on the cooperage business. He is a Republican in politics and an indefatigable party worker. He was selectman and assessor in 1886, 1887, 1889, 1890. He is a past master of Acacia Lodge, F. & A. M., and of Eureka Grange; and is a member of Burnside Post, G. A. R., Auburn; Maple Commandery, U. O. G. C .; and Minnehaha Lodge, I. O. G. T.


William H. Field, son of Stephen and Mary (Sleeper) Field, was born in Lewiston, March 31, 1853. In 1878 he organized the Durham Packing Com- pany to carry on the corn packing business at South West Bend. From 100,000 to 150,000 cans of corn were put up yearly until November 14, 1889, when the works were burned. Mr Field started the canning business at North Turner with Benjamin Keen, and since 1880 he, with Charles Gay, of Auburn, has owned a large corn-canning factory at New Gloucester as the Durham Packing Company, which he conducts. Mr Field is also a market gardener and stock raiser. His place, Riverside Farm, is pleasantly located on the Androscoggin at South West Bend, and he has some fine blooded horses. He married Cora Idella Hackett, of Minot. He is a Democrat and has served two years in the U. S. Army.


Dr Nelson Howard Cary, son of Simeon and Roanna ( Howard) Cary, was born in Bridgewater, Mass., January 5, 1807. He came to Hartford, Me, in 1815. He was graduated from Maine Medical School in 1828. He practiced at Ware, Mass., Gorham, Wayne, and Durham. In 1874 he relinquished practice, and died April 10, 1877. He married, in 1829, Maria Stockbridge. They had six children, one of whom is the famous singer, Annie Louise (Cary ) Raymond. In 1852 he married Julia S. Warren; they had one daughter, Mrs Ada (Cary) Sturgis. Dr Cary possessed broad common-sense, keen philosophy, and especially excelled in music.


Dr W. R. Wright came to Durham from Farmington in 1856 and was in practice until 1870, when he removed to Bath. His son, Josiah L. Wright, M.D., born in Farmington, December 22, 1850, studied medicine with his father, Dr J. W. Small, at Bowdoin Medical School in 1873-4-5, and later in Boston with Dr Small, located as a physician at Richmond in 1878, at Lewiston in 1881, and at Durham in 1884. He belongs to Maine Eclectic Medical Society and was its secretary in 1878, 1879, 1880, 1881.


806


HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.


TURNER.


CHAPTER XLIX.


Boundaries - Township Granted -Sylvester -Canada- Names of Proprietors - De- scription - Attempts at Settlement-Pioneer and Other Settlers- Inhabitants in 1780 - 1790-1800 -Town Annals, Etc.


T URNER lies on the Androscoggin river, embraces about 40 square miles, and is bounded southerly by Auburn and Minot, westerly by Hebron, Buckfield, and Hartford, northerly by Livermore, and easterly by Leeds and Greene. The township was granted in 1765 by Massachusetts to the heirs of Captain Joseph Sylvester and his company for services rendered in Canada, in 1690, and was in lieu of one previously granted in New Hampshire. It was called Sylvester-Canada, was to be "of the contents of seven miles square in the unappropriated lands," and "laid out adjoining to some former grants to the eastward of the Saco River," and had the usual stipulations, with the addition that 81 families were to be settled. Names of Proprietors: Joseph Atkinson, Samuel Bryant, Robert Buck, Nathaniel Bartlett, John Delano, Samuel Dwelly, Samuel Doughty, William Eaton, John Field, Eleazer Jackson, John Joyce, Cornelius Jones, John Kent, Joseph Knap, John Kingman, John Lambert, Arthur Low, Mark Lothrop, Edward Smith, Thomas Snell, Thomas Soper, John Silvester, Benjamin Sutten, Joseph Studley, Mathew Stetson, Samuel Sprague, Joseph Shelley, Benjamin Gannett, Paul Guilford, James Glass, Joseph Goold, Samuel Hunt, James Howard, Thomas Hiland, Isaac Hanmer, James Harris, Nathaniel Harlow, Nathaniel Holmes, Gershom Marble, Thomas Morton, Samuel Pittifer, Joseph Prior, Robert Pheney, Nathaniel Parker, Elnathan Palmer, Peter Roach, John Records, Capt. Jos. Sylvester, Edward Standley, James Snow, Moses Simmons, John Stetson, Stephen Totman, Lazarus Turner, Thomas Wild, Jabez Warren, Return Waite, Ebenezer White, Benony Wolly, John Wetherel.


The proprietors located the township, returned a plan, and it was confirmed to them June 20, 1768, with these boundaries: "Beginning at a place in Androscoggin River called crooked Repels, six miles (as the River runs) above Androscoggin great falls, which is the easterly corner of Bakerstown so called, from thence running North 60° West, in the Northeasterly line of said Bakers- town, five miles and a half, to the northerly corner thereof, then running North 26° East by Province Land Ten miles and 180 rods to a stake with stones about it, then running by Province land South 60° east 3 miles and 250 rods


807


TOWN OF TURNER.


to said River, thence running Southerly by said River to the bounds first mentioned." 3,200 acres were allowed for ponds. The surface is neither uneven nor rough, having few rugged hills and much good farming land. The Androscoggin, Nezinscot (or Twenty-mile) rivers, Martin's, and other streams water it finely and furnish water privileges. Numerous ponds abound; the largest are Bear, Pleasant, and Little Wilson ponds. A heavy growth of timber covered the township, and Dr French says " it was noted for its forests of pine of the best quality, and many of its majestic trees were sought for masts and spars." The soil where the pines grew most luxuriant is mostly a sandy or clay loam, but the land away from the streams is a gravelly loam, producing a plenitude of crops. Turner has always held high rank as an agricultural town, and the people are thrifty, intelligent, prosperous, and pro- gressive. Fruit grows in abundance, and there are some large orchards, that of A. S. Ricker, treasurer of the State Pomological Society, in 1891 yielding 1,300 barrels of apples. The leading interest, however, is dairying. Great care has been taken to introduce the best stock, and it is perhaps the first dairy town in Maine. There are several dairy farms producing from 1,000 to 4,500 pounds of choice butter yearly, but many who keep cows send their milk to the factories. A high grade of intelligence, thrift, and prosperity has marked Turner from the first, many of its sons have been prominent in state and the nation, and the average wealth of its inhabitants is high for a town so far from business centres and railroad facilities. Its population in 1850 was 2,537, and the highest tide was reached in 1860, when it was 2,682. From that date there has been a steady decrease to 1890, when the census gave 2,016 inhabitants. All Turner needs to grow and prosper is the building of the Androscoggin Valley Railroad. The scenery in many parts is lovely, the Oxford hills and northern mountains adding a touch of grandeur to the view, while along the rivers is a constant succession of pastoral beauty. The town can supply every- thing the most exacting summer tourist can desire, and affords a delightful place to recuperate ; already summer boarding may be considered an industry. It has many water powers. (See page 42.)


Although the proprietors early made efforts to furnish roads, it was long before their labors produced good results. Lots were laid out and the plan looked well, but the proprietors came not, settlers did not buy the lots, trespassers were boldly cutting the valuable pine, and in October, 1770, the proprietors chose a committee to prosecute them and burn the hay they had cut and stacked to facilitate their operations. Arrangements were also made to clear the road, later Upper street, which passed into Bakerstown and over Dillingham hill. In 1771 the proprietors, to meet the conditions of their charter, voted to give 30 lots to settlers, and, if they had no meadow, might cut hay on any proprietor's land for five years. In August they offered a bounty of £6 to each settler who should take a lot and clear five acres by


808


HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.


November 1, 1772. Even this inducement failed. In April, 1771, they offered to any one who would build a saw-mill by January, 1773, and a grist-mill by 1775, two settling lots, and in August voted to get these mills built on best terms possible and to give £20 additional to the lots. April 15, 1772, an agent was appointed to influence the Court of Sessions to lay out and open a road from Little Androscoggin river, and Mr Josiah Smith was directed to procure some kind of conveyance for horses over that stream. A bounty of £4 10s. was offered to settlers locating between November 1, 1772, and July 1, 1773.


In 1772 Daniel Staples, Thomas and Elisha Records, Joseph Leavitt and Abner Phillips became pioneers in Sylvester, and March, 1773, were voted the £10 bounty on condition of " completing the terms of settlement."


Jacob Leavitt,1 the father of Joseph, came from Pembroke, Mass. The line of ancestry, in the sketch of Joseph Leavitt, in the "History of Turner," is incorrect. The writer of that sketch takes pleasure in correcting the error, which arose through consulting authorities by correspondence. Josiah2 Leavitt had a son, Jacob, born 1732 or 1733, but he died unmarried. Israel,2 brother of Josiah,2 had a son, Jacob, born 1732 in Pembroke, and he is undoubtedly the patriarch of the Turner families. An unpublished work, by John S. Leavitt, late of Chicago (now in the writer's possession), is very full; the compiler was painstaking and faithful. From this genealogy I find that Solomon,3 son of Israel,2 John1 (John1 Leavitt was born in England in 1608, came to Dorchester, Mass., in 1628, removed to Hingham in 1636, and died in 1691), removed from Hingham to Pembroke, and died at an advanced age. His son, Jacob,4 the patriarch of the Turner families, was born in Pembroke, February 4, 1732. He was married by Rev. Daniel Leires, of that town, to Sylvia Bonney, daughter of Ichabod Bonney, Esq., of Pembroke, March 15, 1753. He removed to Turner, August 6, 1778, and died, January 25, 1814, aged 82 years. Mrs Sylvia (Bonney) Leavitt was born in Pembroke,2 September 3, 1733, and died in Turner, December 31, 1810. Jacob Leavitt was father of 13 children. His son, Joseph Leavitt, born in Pembroke, in 1755 or 1756, was among the first to enlist in the army of the Revolution. He served only one enlistment, subsequently coming to Maine as assistant to the govern- ment surveyors. He liked the country, and asked the surveyors of what is now Turner to assign a lot to him, which they did, next to the "meeting-house lot" on Upper street, where he made a home, and lived and died. This is still known as the Joseph Leavitt place. He was married three times; first to Anna Stevens,3 who bore him 8 children; the eldest, Joseph6 Leavitt, was born in 1777, and was the first white male child born in the town. His second wife, Hannah Chandler, bore him two children. His third wife, Elsea Caswell, was childless. As years passed on, Mr Leavitt opened his doors to travelers, though he never put up a "sign" of tavern. He built the first frame building in town, still an old landmark. His sterling integrity and liberal hand won friends while living,


1 By Mrs Caroline W. D. Rich.


2 It may be of interest to state that the sister of his wife - Lydia, daughter of Ichabod Bonney - married Eleazer Hamlin, and was grandmother of Hannibal Hamlin -not great-grandmother, as the " Turner History " has it.


3 It may be of interest to know that the mother of Maine's early humorist and poet, Seba Smith, was Aphia Stevens, sister of Anna, wife of Joseph Leavitt.


809


TOWN OF TURNER.


and left a memory greatly beloved and respected. His granddaughter-the writer of this sketch -is the seventh child of Anna6 (Leavitt) Stockbridge; the sixth child, by his first wife, who was born in Turner, March 20, 1787, died in Auburn, February 19, 1870. The Leavitt family has been remarkable for longevity ; nearly all of Jacob Leavitt's children living to ripe age. Of Joseph5 Leavitt's children, most lived beyond threescore and ten years, some attaining a much greater age.


In 1773 Peleg Wadsworth, Ichabod Bonney, Jr, and Peleg Chandler per- formed such settlers' duties (probably by hiring the above young men to do the labor) as entitled them to three " settlers' lots," and Josiah Staples occupied another. Elisha Lake brought his family this year, but soon went away. Peleg Wadsworth, afterwards general, took an active part in lotting and selling the town, but did not become a permanent settler. Ichabod Bonney, Jr, did not become a resident until 1783. July 19, 1774, Ichabod Bonney was chosen by the proprietors to go to Sylvester and forward the building of a saw and grist mill, and was voted £4 a month and his own expenses. In 1775 Israel Haskell, Moses Stevens1 from New Gloucester, and Hezekiah Bryant from Halifax, came with their families ; Haskell in the spring, Bryant in the early summer, and Stevens later. This year the first division of lots was made, each proprietor receiving one, and 30 "settlers' lots " numbered. These were mostly on Upper and Lower streets, but a few were south of the village. No pro- prietors' meetings were held for some years, but their vigilant agent was securing valuable settlers and making their labors as easy as possible. By 1780 there were here: Mark and Samuel Andrews, Jotham Briggs, Israel Haskell, Daniel Briggs, Abner, Richard, and Isaac Phillips, Daniel, Josiah, and Seth Staples, Deacon Daniel, Levi Benjamin, and Jabez Merrill, Jacob and Joseph Leavitt, Charles, Jr, and William Turner, Stephen and Hezekiah Bryant, Deacon Benjamin True,2 William Hayford, John Keen, Henry Jones, Ezekiel, Jr, William, and Jesse Bradford, James and Ebenezer Crooker, Moses Stevens (Mrs Stevens died in 1780, the first death), Samuel Blake, Malachi Water- man, Hezekiah Hill, most of them with families. Elijah Gilbert came about 1783, bought four lots, embracing a part of the cedar swamp near " Gilbert


1 Moses Stevens married, second, Mrs Hannah Davis, of Gloucester, Mass. His children were: Anna, m. Joseph Leavitt; Jacob, m. Martha Sawyer; Mary, m. Isaac Phillips; Elizabeth, m. Oliver Turner; Moses, m. Nancy Smith; Alpha, m. Seba Smith; Michael, m. Polly Bryant; Lydia D., m. Alden Blossom. His descendants are numerous in the county, and are among the valned and respected citizens. (See page 610.)


2 Deacon Benjamin True came from New Gloucester. His wife was Rhoda Merrill. Their sons were Giles, Jabez, Benjamin. Deacon True died in Livermore in 1814. He was a man of genuine unostentations piety, gentleness, and humility ; his candor and liberality upon all subjects of religious controversy, softened the asperities and commanded the respect of all who came within the influence of his example. Col Philip True died in South Turner, December 15, 1885, aged 94 yrs. 2 mos. 25 days. His wife, Sophia Beals, died July 1, 1889, aged 95 yrs. 1 mo. 15 days. They were born in Auburn, were married November 25, 1813, and in 1823 bought the Parson Strickland farm, where they passed the rest of their 72 years of married life. He was a noted temperance worker.


810


HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.


hills," between Upper street and the river. He m. Mrs Hannah (Stetson) Randall ; children : Josiah, Elijah, Eunice, Caleb, Hannah, James D. Josiah m. Bethany Day ; children : Daniel, Clarissa, Olive, Luther, Sarah, Randall, Lovica. Caleb m. Diana Curtis; children : Lewis (see page 525), Caleb, Diana, Franklin, Melzar, Hiram. By second wife, Achsah Burgess, had children : Achsah, Elijah, Mary, Love. Hon. Washington Gilbert, of Bath, son of James D., was a lawyer of ability, judge of probate eight years, a candidate for member of Congress, and in 1875 a member of the commission to revise the state constitution. He died in 1890, aged 74.


The growth was now rapid, and April 26, 1786, the proprietors voted to consent to the incorporation, and named the town in honor of Rev. Charles Turner.


Turner was incorporated the 47th town, July 7, 1786. Ichabod Bonney 1 called the first town meeting, held at the meeting-house, March 6, 1787. Dr Daniel Child was chosen moderator; Benjamin True, clerk ; Ichabod Bonney, Benjamin True, Israel Haskell, selectmen; Samuel Blake, treasurer; Moses Stevens, Jeremiah Dillingham, Stephen Bryant, Henry Jones, surveyors ; Stephen Bryant, Israel Haskell, wardens. In 1788 £80 was raised for roads, and one from the Centre through Lower street, one from the meeting-house to Lower street school-house, one down Cary hill to Blake's mill, and one from Upper to Lower street by Nelson Jones's were established. Voted £12 for school and £33 for Parson Strickland salary "to be paid in silver." In 1789 £40 was raised to build three school-houses.


The population was 356 in 1790. The heads of families and dates of coming were, according to Dr Howe :-


Mark Andrews, 1780. Samnel Blake, 1777, located on mill lot. Ichabod Bonney, 1783. John Bonney, 1789. Ezekiel Bradford, 1780, lot 60. Ezekiel Bradford, Jr, 1784. Jesse Bradford, 1783, lot 171. Jotham and Jotham, Jr, Briggs, 1778, lot 47. Stephen Bryant, 1778, lot 74. Daniel Child, 1781, lot 78. Jacob Davis, 1790. John Dillingham, 1780. Daniel French, 1781, lot 72. Nathaniel Gilbert, 1783. Israel Hascall, 1775, lot 27. Caleb House, 1783. He had served in the French War and the Revolution. Henry Jones, 1779, lot 77. Jacob Leavitt, 1778. Jabez Merrill, 1778, lot 58. Daniel Merrill, 1778. Nathan Niles, 1780. Abner Phillips, 1776, lot 28. Mary Phillips, 1779. Jazial Smith, 1787. Jazial Smith, Jr, 1790. Josiah Staples, 1777, lot 49. John Strickland, 1784. Benjamin True,


1 Ichabod Bonney was born in Pembroke, Mass., September 3, 1737. He took a prominent part in the efforts for the settlement of Turner, acquired a settler's lot in 1773, served as an officer in the Revolution, and removed to Turner in 1783. He married, first, Mary Turner, of Pembroke. Their children were Ichabod, Mary, John, Sarah, Joseph, Nabby, and Sylvia. Mr Bonney married, second, Rhoda House, September 13, 1801. He resided in the west of the town, near the old muster field. He died February 25, 1807, sincerely lamented by a large circle. His name appears often as chairman of the selectmen and town clerk. Of his descendants William L. Bonney, sou of Ichabod and Polly (Lowell) Bonney, has been a merchant for many years, filled many town offices, has been a member of the Baptist church for 33 years, and is senior deacon. Mr Bonney married a daughter of Sumner French. Their son, Percival Bonney, of Portland, is Judge of the Superior Court of Cumberland county.


811


TOWN OF TURNER.


1780. Samuel Andrews, 1780. Caleb Blake, 1777. Isaiah Bonney, 1783. Ichabod Bonney, Jr, 1783. Wm Bradford, 1777, lot 56. Chandler Bradford, 1783, lot 47. Martin Bradford, 1788, lot 62. Daniel Briggs,1 1777, lot 48. John Brown, 1790. Hezekiah Bryant, 1775, lot 58. Joseph Copeland, 1790. Jeremiah Dillingham, 1780. Andrew Elliot, 1788. Elijah Gilbert, 1783. Samuel Gorham, 1780. Wm Hayford, 1778. Benjamin Jones, 1780. John Keen,2 1777, lot 34. Joseph Leavitt, 1776, lot 53. Levi Merrill, 1778. Benaiah Niles, 1780. Richard Phillips, 1780, lot 39. Richard Phillips, Jr, 1777. Jonathan Pratt, 1790. Laban Smith, 1790. Asa Smith, 1790. Moses Stevens, 1775, lot 32. Setli Staples, 1778, lot 33. Job Young, 1788. [Daniel Cary settled on lot 76, Ezra Cary on lot 26, and Joshua Barrell on lot 46, but were not in the census of this year.] Many of these were soldiers of the Revolution.


In 1791 the selectmen were allowed 16 shillings for services. In 1794 £100 was voted for building bridges over Twenty-mile river; one above Blake's dam, the other at " Mr True's waiding-place." From 1780 to 1820 the amount for schools increased from £20 to $300 (sometimes $450) annually. Four districts were formed in 1796, and from this time capable men were chosen on school committees.


Rev. Paul Coffin, the missionary, says in his journal: "1796, June 29. Rode to Turner from Buckfield, having on my left Twenty-mile river. Turner is beautiful. The roads, houses, and farms make the town appear old, improved, and very agreeable. This was much the prettiest place seen since I had left Gorham. Visited Brother Strickling the parson. Put up with Dr Hay, who boards with a Mr Leavitt, whose house, farm, and situation are elevated and good. This town is 25 years old and yields to few inland towns in America for its agriculture."


Habits of the Settlers. - Hon. Washington Gilbert, late of Bath, in his centennial address said that "A frugal industry marked their ways. Hence they were enabled to subdne an unbroken forest, to overcome the difficulties of frontier life, where everything was to be created by labor out of the natural resources of the country, and through privations and hardship to attain to


1 Daniel Briggs and wife, Silence (Hart) Briggs, came from Taunton. Children: Daniel, Silence, Abiathar, Arauna, Anna, Betsey, Hart, John, Lydia. D. J. Briggs, grandson of Daniel Briggs and son of Hart and Phebe Jones Briggs, was born in Turner on the farm where he now resides. He married Anna C. Cary, a descendant of Dr Lnther Cary. He was commander of an independent company of militia and for five years connected with the first cornet band in town. He was one of the charter members of Turner Grange, No. 23, P. of H., also a member of Androscoggin County Grange, and has held offices in both organizations. He is a member of the Turner Centre Dairying Associa- tion and of the Farmers' Protective Union, and was for three years a member of the Board of Agri- culture from this county. He is a farmer, a breeder of American Jersey cattle and Southdown sheep, and has paid attention to orcharding.


2 John Keen came from Taunton. He married Jerusha Blake. who died January 17, 1831, aged 92. By her retentive memory she aided much in preserving the early history of the town. Children: Keziah m. Meschech Keen; John; Jerusha, m. Elijah Fisher; Elisha, m. Anna Briggs; Mary B., m. John Munroe; Grinfill, m. Molly Rose; Mercy, m. Bradford Rose; Rebecca, m. Elisha Pratt; Edward, m. Hannah Kingsley; Priscilla, m. Cushing Phillips.


812


HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.


general thrift and competence. Their frugality descended to minute things. Children were taught that it was sinful to suffer a kernel of corn to be wasted. The pipe was lighted by a coal from the hearth, or by a blazing sliver first lighted at the open fire. The burning coals were preserved on the hearth over night to rekindle the fire on the following morning. No expense of match or tinder box vexed the finances of the family until competence had been reached. Such was the diligent care of the elders."




Need help finding more records? Try our genealogical records directory which has more than 1 million sources to help you more easily locate the available records.