History of Androscoggin County, Maine, Part 52

Author: Merrill, Georgia Drew, ed
Publication date: 1891
Publisher: Boston, W.A. Fergusson & co.
Number of Pages: 1050


USA > Maine > Androscoggin County > History of Androscoggin County, Maine > Part 52


Note: The text from this book was generated using artificial intelligence so there may be some errors. The full pages can be found on Archive.org (link on the Part 1 page).


Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5 | Part 6 | Part 7 | Part 8 | Part 9 | Part 10 | Part 11 | Part 12 | Part 13 | Part 14 | Part 15 | Part 16 | Part 17 | Part 18 | Part 19 | Part 20 | Part 21 | Part 22 | Part 23 | Part 24 | Part 25 | Part 26 | Part 27 | Part 28 | Part 29 | Part 30 | Part 31 | Part 32 | Part 33 | Part 34 | Part 35 | Part 36 | Part 37 | Part 38 | Part 39 | Part 40 | Part 41 | Part 42 | Part 43 | Part 44 | Part 45 | Part 46 | Part 47 | Part 48 | Part 49 | Part 50 | Part 51 | Part 52 | Part 53 | Part 54 | Part 55 | Part 56 | Part 57 | Part 58 | Part 59 | Part 60 | Part 61 | Part 62 | Part 63 | Part 64 | Part 65 | Part 66 | Part 67 | Part 68 | Part 69 | Part 70 | Part 71 | Part 72 | Part 73 | Part 74 | Part 75 | Part 76 | Part 77 | Part 78 | Part 79 | Part 80 | Part 81 | Part 82 | Part 83 | Part 84 | Part 85 | Part 86 | Part 87 | Part 88 | Part 89 | Part 90 | Part 91 | Part 92 | Part 93 | Part 94 | Part 95 | Part 96 | Part 97 | Part 98 | Part 99 | Part 100 | Part 101 | Part 102 | Part 103 | Part 104 | Part 105 | Part 106 | Part 107 | Part 108


HON. WILLIAM D. PENNELL.


The Pennell Family is an ancient Cornish one. In "Camden's Remains" is found this couplet :


By Tre, Ros, Pol, Lan, Caer and Pen You may know the most Cornish men.


The family has been and is of importance in Great Britain, and no less than three coats of arms are borne by its members. One has as a crest "an arm in armor, couped at the shoulder, embowed and resting the elbow on the wreath holding a scimetar all ppr; " another has " a griffin sejant," and the other "an ostrich's head conped." "Walford's County Families, a Royal Manual of the Aristocracy of Great Britain and Ireland," gives as the latest knighted repre- sentative of the English family, Sir Charles Pennell, formerly chief clerk of the Admiralty, Whitehall, who was knighted in 1867. He was son of William Pennell, Esq., long time Her Majesty's consul-general to the Brazils. The first American ancestor of the family, according to Savage, was Walter Pennell, who was made a freeman of Saco in 1653. The name is now well represented in Maine, and particularly so in Cumberland county.


Hon. William Dwight Pennell, son of Richard C. and Cornelia (Barnes) Pennell, was born in Portland, May 20, 1847, and, until the removal of his parents to Lewiston, May 20, 1863, he was an industrious student in the schools of that city. His active life has been passed in and devoted to the moral, educational, and business progress of Lewiston. He commenced his labors in June, 1863, as a bobbin boy in the Porter (later Continental) Mill under Mr Rhodes A. Budlong, who watched him carefully and attentively, and as he saw


1-72211 truly


432 c


CITY OF LEWISTON.


that he was more than ordinarily industrious, painstaking, and methodical, never leaving anything intrusted to him neglected or unprovided for, he advanced him through various departments in which energy, honesty, and close attention to the interests of his employers marked his progress, and evinced his ability to successfully fill higher positions. After leaving the Porter Mill he served three years as a draughtsman in the office of the Franklin Company with Hon. A. D. Lockwood, and in 1869 was appointed paymaster at the Lincoln Mill. In November, 1872, he was appointed superintendent and such favor did his administration of affairs find in the minds of the com- pany, that in November, 1879, Mr Pennell was selected as agent, and retained the office until his appointment in September, 1886, as manager of the Franklin Company. He was later made, in addition, manager of the Union Water- Power Company. In this latter capacity, especially in connection with the Franklin Company and its properties on lands about Lewiston and Auburn, Mr Pennell manifested a very progressive and liberal spirit, and under his management the company steadily grew in popularity, and many improvements were made and new building sites opened to the public both in Lewiston and Auburn. After this flattering success he resigned these positions February, 1890, to accept that of agent of the Hill Manufacturing Co. on the resignation of Josiah G. Coburn, after 36 years of careful management. Mr Pennell was well equipped in technical skill, business training, and intellectual strength for this responsibility, and occupies a high position among the manufacturers and in the esteem of the people.


As an active Republican he has been prominent in politics since becoming a voter. Bringing the industry, accuracy and system of his business methods into the political field he made himself master of the presented situations, and became an authority whose opinion carried weight. He has been a frequent delegate to conventions, chairman of city, county and district committees, has always been in sympathy with the advanced element of his party, and by his zeal and fertility in resource has been a valuable worker in party lines. He was city auditor in 1870-71; in 1874 a member of the common council; in 1875-1876-1877 President of the Board of Aldermen ; January 15, 1878, the order which provided for the construction of the Lewiston water-works was introduced by him. In 1880, he was elected water commissioner for six years, and re-elected in 1886 for an additional term of six years. He was twice


chairman of the board. His services in these offices were so efficient that he was elected in 1881 to fill the legislative vacancy caused by the death of Hon. I. N. Parker, and in 1883. 1884, and 1885 he was a member of the state senate. In 1883, he introduced and carried through an act prohibiting the sale of the deadly toy pistol, that occasioned so many deaths among boys, and his interest in this matter was earnestly approved by all the newspapers. The senate of 1885 was one of more than usual ability, with many members experienced in


432 d


HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.


legislation, keen debaters, sound thinkers, and earnest men, and it was compli- mentary indeed to Mr Pennell that although the youngest member of the senate, with one exception, he was chosen its president, receiving every vote in that body. How he discharged his duties can best be learned from his asso- ciates. Mr Libby of Orono, in introducing a resolution thanking Mr Pennell for "the dignity, ability, entire impartiality which has characterized his official intercourse with the members," said: "The uniform kindness and courtesy of our president has endeared him to each and all of us." Mr Lebroke of Fox- croft, in speaking on the resolution, said: "In our work we have been aided largely by the president, whose ever ready perspicuity was equal to any and every emergency, one whose rulings have been entirely impartial, one to whom we have always looked with faith and confidence and not with disappointment, for direction in all our multifarious duties. Our work has undoubtedly been not only facilitated, but largely expedited by the manner in which this body has been presided over during the present session. I must say that he has done honor to himself and a good service to the state, for which we who know of his important labors in this branch feel highly grateful to him and for which the state is indebted to his great abilities." The Bangor Commercial, an oppo- sition paper, said : "Mr Pennell is a very pleasant gentleman, 38 years of age. He is self-made, cultured, and has rare conversational powers. He has a mild and pleasant eye, an intelligent and very winsome countenance, a full and well- rounded forehead indicating a large and well-developed brain, and sufficiently strong melodious voice. His speech and accent are a pure New England vernacular. His suavity seems prompted by a kind and genial heart. While differing from him radically on some points we are glad the corporation interests are represented by so good and worthy a gentleman." The Portland Argus, Democratic, said: " Political friends and enemies must speak alike that Mr Pennell is a very honorable, able, and vigorous gentleman, well worthy of the honors repeatedly bestowed upon him." Mr Pennell's sympathies and vote have always been on the side of temperance and in favor of good law. While President of the Senate he was called upon to give the decisive vote on the question of referring the amendments to the prohibitory law to the next legis- lature. Without a moment's hesitation there was a clear and strong "No." His action was so decided that the Somerset Reporter said: "Every temperance organization in the state should give President Pennell a vote of thanks." Rev. C. D. Crane of New Castle said while addressing the General Conference of Congregationalists in Lewiston, June 18, 1885: " All honor to the president ! It was not the first time when, in a critical moment in the history of Maine, a Congregationalist in the state house at Augusta proved to be the right man in the right place." Mr Pennell was on the committee, organized in 1884, that arranged for the Legislative Reunion held at the state house in Augusta in January, 1886, his fellow members being J. Manchester Haynes of Augusta,


432 e


CITY OF LEWISTON.


Wm G. Davis of Portland, Wm H. Strickland of Bangor, and Fred Atwood of Winterport, and much of the success attending it was awarded to him.


Mr Pennell has done good service in other circles of activity and useful- ness. He is a trustee of the Manufacturers and Mechanics Library Association ; has been identified with the State Agricultural Society as an officer ; was for ten years trustee of the Androscoggin County Agricultural Society ; and the con- spicuous success of the Centennial celebration of Lewiston and Auburn in 1876 was largely due to his management. He has been for nearly a quarter of a century a member of the Pine Street Congregational church, is chairman of the Prudential Committee of the parish, and a participant in the various activi- ties of the church and parish, and in Y. M. C. A. work. He has been a Free Mason since 1874, and has taken thirty-two Masonic degrees. The steady upward progress of Mr Pennell from bobbin boy to a leading manufacturer and high political honors shows what can be accomplished by brains and industry dominated by integrity and uprightness.


Mr Pennell married June 22, 1869, Jennie A., daughter of Wingate and Eliza W. (Foss) Linscott. Mr Linscott, a native of Chesterville, became a resident of Boston, where Mrs Pennell was born. Both Mr and Mrs Pennell take high rank in social circles. Three children enliven their home circle : Dwight R., Fannie C., and Maude Robie.


ARCHIE LEE TALBOT.


Archie Lee Talbot is of English ancestry. Ambrose Talbot, his great-great- grandfather, came to America with his parents and lived in Dorchester, Mass., afterwards settled in Freeport, Me, where he resided until his death. His farm has never passed from the family, and is owned and occupied by the fifth generation. He was deacon of the Congregational church 40 years. His son, Asa Talbot, removed to Turner, Wilton, and finally to Avon, where he built the first frame house on the " Mile Square," where he died, aged 79, in 1849. He took great interest in the meeting held by Rev. Jesse Lee and became a Methodist. Archibald, son of Asa, removed to Phillips and finally to Wilton, where he died in 1873, aged 74. He was a Methodist class leader and local preacher, and was chaplain of Maine (Farmington) Lodge of Masons for many years. He was county commissioner for Franklin county and a trustee of the State Insane Asylum. Charles J. Talbot, son of Archibald, was a farmer and a member of the bar. He was president of the Temperance and Antislavery State Convention held at Portland, June 7, 1854, which nominated Hon. Anson P. Morrill for governor, the first Republican governor of Maine. He was a member of that memorable convention at Strong, August 7, 1854, composed of Whigs, Free-soilers, and Temperance Antislavery Democrats, who adopted the name of Republican. This was the birth of the Republican party in the


432 f


HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.


United States, and was the first delegate convention to assume that name. He was made a member of the State Central Committee and held that position several years. He was commissioned by President Lincoln surveyor of the port of Portland, and held that position during President Lincoln's adminis- tration. He was commissioned collector of internal revenue by President Grant, and was in office until the consolidation of districts. He was a railroad commissioner six years, and was often prominently mentioned as a candidate for congress, but always espoused the candidacy of others in the interest of harmony and united action. When 19 he became a Methodist. He died at his home in Wilton, March 10, 1884, aged 63, and was buried with Masonic honors.


Archie Lee Talbot, eldest son of Charles J. and Delphinia S. Talbot (she was daughter of Asa Robbins, who was 21 years selectman and town clerk of Phillips), was born in Phillips, September 14, 1846, and lived on his father's farm until 21. He received his education in the district and high schools, Wilton Academy and Maine Wesleyan Seminary. Upon leaving school he became an insurance agent. In 1870 he was appointed deputy collector of internal revenue, and in 1877 was re-appointed by Collector Rollins, with head- quarters at Lewiston. He held that office for seven years, until the office was consolidated with headquarters at Augusta. Mr Talbot discharged the duties of this difficult and important position with ability and fidelity, often receiving the commendation and approval of the inspecting officers. He then engaged as a life and fire insurance agent, and in 1887 accepted the position of general agent for Maine for the Provident Life and Trust Company of Philadelphia, Pa, in which business he is now engaged. Mr Talbot has lived in Lewiston since 1877. In 1883 he was elected a member of the board of aldermen, from ward seven, and re-elected in 1884, serving as chairman of important com- mittees. In 1886 he was elected a member of the school board, re-elected in 1888, and 1890. He is a member of leading committees, and is now chairman of the committee on teachers and instruction. Mr Talbot is a member of Ashlar Lodge, F. & A. M. He early became interested in this ancient frater- nity, and was initiated when 21 years old, has taken the degrees of the York and Scottish rites to and including the 32°, and has passed the chairs in lodge, chapter, and council. In 1878 and 1879 he was District Deputy Grand Master of the 15th Masonic District. In 1880 he was elected Junior Grand Warden of the Grand Lodge. He is also a permanent member of the Grand Royal Arch Chapter, and Grand Council of Royal and Select Masters. In 1882 he was elected a member of the Board of Trustees of the Charity Fund of the Grand Lodge for three years, re-elected in 1885, in 1888, and in 1891. M Talbot is a member of the Congregational church, and is ever ready to aid in the cause of every good work.


433


TOWN OF LISBON.


LISBON.


BY ASA P. MOORE, EsQ.


CHAPTER XXI.


Early Boundaries-Petitions-Town of Bowdoin-Incorporation of Thompsonborough- Situation, Limits, and Formation -Surface and Soil -Description - Old Houses - Educa- tion-Occupation of First Settlers-Early History-Other Settlers and Descendants-Early Mills -War of 1812-Physicians -First Town Meeting of Thompsonborough -School Districts - Extracts from Town Records-Action in the Civil War-Civil List.


W EST BOWDOINHAM plantation, which included Lisbon and Webster, extended from the westerly boundary of Bowdoinham, west to the line of division of the Plymouth Company and Pejepscot Proprietors, about nine miles; and from the northerly boundary of Topsham and Little River north to the southerly boundary of Wales and Litchfield, about 10 miles, and had an area of nearly 90 square miles. In 1782 the settlers petitioned for incorporation. This petition not being granted, was followed by others, until incorporation was obtained, in 1788. The town of Bowdoin held its first meeting April 15, 1788, at the dwelling of Prince Rose. Samuel Tebbetts was moderator; Benjamin Jaques, clerk; Humphrey Purrington, Samuel Tebbetts, Ebenezer Temple, selectmen; James Rogers, Jesse Davies, Jonathan Williams, Nathaniel Jellerson, David Porter, Timothy Higgins, and John Hewey, highway surveyors. The first mention of a school is in 1791, when three classes (districts) were established, and forty pounds voted for schools. In 1796 the town voted " to support the gospel agreeably to law in the Baptist order," 26 voting for the Baptists to eight for the Congregational. In 1797, $600 was voted to build two meeting-houses, which, if commenced, were never completed. In 1798 it was voted that Samuel Tebbetts, Thomas Ham, and Joseph Kilgore, send a petition to the general court for the division of the town. May 21, 1799, " voted that the bridge at Jordan Mills be built," and Abel Nutting named to superintend the building.


Thompsonborough. - In accordance with a vote of the town of Bowdoin, the act of incorporation of Thompsonborough was passed June 22, 1799. The name was given in honor of General Samuel Thompson, of Brunswick, a son of James Thompson, who, as colonel of a body of volunteers, made prisoners of several British officers at Falmouth, in 1775. The Thompson family were large owners of land in Little River plantation, but something did not please the majority of the voters in General Thompson's views or actions,


434


HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.


and specifying the length of name as a reason, an act was obtained to change the name to Lisbon, February 22, 1802. The boundaries of Thompsonborough were: "Beginning at the northwest corner of the town of Topsham at Little River, and running up said Little River about one mile, to what is called Bowdoin's road, then running westward on said road about eight or ten rods, to a large pine tree marked with the letter Q, it being the southeast corner of what is called Whittemore's Lot, and thence running north northeast to the north line of said town, said line being about a center line of the said town of Bowdoin." Ezekiel Thompson, of Little River, a brother of General Thompson, was authorized to call the first meeting.


Situation, Limits, and Formation .- Lisbon is on the east side of Andros- coggin river, in the eastern corner of the county; distant thirty miles northeasterly from Portland, and thirty southwesterly from Augusta. Thomp- sonborough was so named in honor of the Thompson family, who were large owners of land in Little River Plantation, adjoining Thompsonborough and Bowdoin. Little River Plantation, now called Lisbon Falls, was a part of the Pejepscot purchase, being a gore between Little Androscoggin and Sabattus rivers, adjoining the old town on its southern extremity, and was annexed to Lisbon (after considerable opposition) March 4, 1808. In 1840 Webster was set off from the northern part. The soil and surface are admirably adapted to agriculture, and the town contains more than an average share of arable land, the soil being so diversified as to afford farmers an opportunity to successfully cultivate all crops incident to the latitude. The intervals are fertile and productive, and no town in the state shows better or larger crops of corn or grain ; while other portions are better suited for the raising of hay and grazing purposes. Some portions are broken, but there are no abrupt hills or worthless swamps. The streams are numerous, affording abundant supplies of water. The territory was covered with a dense growth of pine, hemlock, and hard wood. The forests were stocked with game, and the rivers furnished a bountiful supply of fish, rendering it a noted resort for the Indians, who had a village on the level land, situated at the point where the Sabattus empties into the Androscoggin. The Indians called the falls where Worumbo Mill now stands Anmecangin, signifying much fish. There are three villages: Lisbon, one mile northwesterly from the geographical center, which is near Farnsworth Mill; Lisbon Falls, two and one-half miles southerly from the center, at the southern extremity of the town; and a small village at Lisbon Center. Some of the oldest houses now standing in town are: the house owned by John G. Tebbets, now situated about one mile from Lisbon village, on the road leading to South West Bend Ferry; it was built by Gideon Curtis, near the office of the Farwell Mills; the house now occupied by Widow Mary Frost, on the east side of Farwell street, opposite J. M. Corbett's house ( it first stood on the hill above Samuel Moody's and was occupied by Abel Curtis) ; the house now


435


TOWN OF LISBON.


occupied as a boarding-house by Farwell Mills; this house was built and occupied by Mayall and afterwards by Corbett, who added a story to the old house, which was one story.


Education. - The early inhabitants appreciated education and were liberal for the times in their appropriations for it. Among the first teachers were Miss Cox, of Topsham, who probably taught here several years, Nathaniel Eames, Esq., Nathaniel Harmon, and John Ham. The town voted in 1871 to abolish the district system; there are now no organized school districts, although they retain their old numbers and generally their old limits. (By the new method the town has control of all school-houses and property, and all teachers are employed under the direction of a supervisor chosen by the town, and the terms of schools are of equal length in all parts of the town.) The school- houses are in good repair and most of them new, erected and furnished in a manner suited to the spirit of the times. The town owns seven village school- houses, valued at $16,000, and nine rural school-houses, valued at $5,000. The school year is 30 weeks. Two free high schools, three grammar, three intermediate, six primary, and seven rural schools are maintained, and the attendance in 1890 was 800; 385 males and 415 females. $2,000 were raised for the support of common schools; $250 for free high school; $700 for school books; $400 for repairs on school-houses ; $400 for fuel ; $800 for building one new school-house. The town received from the state in 1890, $2,014.10 for common schools, and $250 for free high schools, and from the Farwell Mills $100.


The Thompsons. - Jonathan Bagley, of Amesbury, and Moses Little, of Newbury, pursuant to vote of Pejepscot proprietors, conveyed July 4, 1780, to Samuel Thompson for £50 all land from Little river to Sabattus river, and northerly to the divisional line between said Pejepscot proprietors and Ken- nebec proprietors; this was the gore of land known as Little River plantation, annexed to Lisbon in 1808.


Ezekiel Thompson came here in 1798, having purchased 350 acres at Little River, of Samuel, his brother. He was a leading man ; was postmaster, and collector of U. S. revenue, during the war of 1812. The writer has the license granted by him to Paul C. Tebbets, Esq., in 1813, to carry on trade at Lisbon. Ezekiel Thompson was born in Brunswick at New Meadows in 1757, was son of Captain James Thompson, who was born in Kittery in 1707. James had three wives and nine sons and nine daughters; he died at Topsham in 1791; Captain James was son of James Thompson, born in Old York; and James was the son of James Thompson, born in Ireland. Lydia Thompson, second wife of Captain James Thompson, and mother of Ezekiel, was daughter of Benjamin Brown, of Ipswich. Ezekiel married in 1781 Priscilla, daughter of Colonel Nathaniel Purinton, son of Deacon Humphrey Purinton, who lived in Georgetown, now Bath, near the turnpike and New Meadows river. Humphrey


436


HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.


was born in Truro, Cape Cod, and died in Gorham, Mass. Priscilla, the wife of Nathaniel Purinton, was daughter of Thomas Woodbury, of Cape Elizabeth. formerly from Beverly, Mass. Samuel Thompson (the brigadier) married a sister of Colonel Nathaniel Purinton. The children of Ezekiel were: Lydia, born 1783; Reliance, born 1785, who married a Tebbets; Charles, born 1789, was a wealthy merchant and ship-owner of Topsham; Priscilla, born 1792, married Paul C. Tebbets, Esq., father of John G. Tebbets; John Holman, born 1795, for many years register of deeds at Topsham ; Hezekiah, born 1798, and Joanna, born 1803. She informed me that her first teacher was a Mr Donahue, and her first female teacher was Mrs Mary Grant, who taught in private houses, and, at one time, in a barn; when they hauled in hay, the school was moved from the barn-floor into a stall.


Occupation of First Settlers, Mills, etc. - The inhabitants paid little atten- tion to farming, but devoted their time to lumbering, as the township was covered with a superior pine, and was a part of the great pine nursery in this section of the state. Saw-mills were erected on the Sabattus, at Robinson's Corner (now known as Bryant's privilege), at Lisbon Factory, and at Farns- worth's, a mile below. At Little River, on the Androscoggin, were at one time, from 1790 to 1800, six large saw-mills, a corn and grist-mill, and a carding-mill. The lumber sawed at these mills was conveyed by teams to Topsham and Cathance. The business men, the Whitings, Godfreys, Jordans, and others, were renowned for their enterprise and energy. They were fast reaping the reward of their labors, when the French troubles of 1800, the embargo and War of 1812 following in succession, obliged them to relinquish business, and the result was a prostration of the business com- munity, and the dispersion to other parts of the men who had been so active.


First Settlers. - The probable first settler was one White, who lived in a log hut on the road to Webster Corner, on the Elder Lewis farm, and after- wards purchased White's Hill. Then Russell Hinkley, a short distance beyond White, and Joseph Hinkley near by. Joseph's buildings were destroyed by fire in 1805, when he moved down to the spot where Charles Davis now lives, and finally located on the place now occupied by Charles Smith. He had several children of whom Jesse staid on the old place, built the brick house now standing, soon after sold and removed to this corner. Russell Hinkley probably built the first house, Joseph the second.




Need help finding more records? Try our genealogical records directory which has more than 1 million sources to help you more easily locate the available records.