History of Androscoggin County, Maine, Part 65

Author: Merrill, Georgia Drew, ed
Publication date: 1891
Publisher: Boston, W.A. Fergusson & co.
Number of Pages: 1050


USA > Maine > Androscoggin County > History of Androscoggin County, Maine > Part 65


Note: The text from this book was generated using artificial intelligence so there may be some errors. The full pages can be found on Archive.org (link on the Part 1 page).


Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5 | Part 6 | Part 7 | Part 8 | Part 9 | Part 10 | Part 11 | Part 12 | Part 13 | Part 14 | Part 15 | Part 16 | Part 17 | Part 18 | Part 19 | Part 20 | Part 21 | Part 22 | Part 23 | Part 24 | Part 25 | Part 26 | Part 27 | Part 28 | Part 29 | Part 30 | Part 31 | Part 32 | Part 33 | Part 34 | Part 35 | Part 36 | Part 37 | Part 38 | Part 39 | Part 40 | Part 41 | Part 42 | Part 43 | Part 44 | Part 45 | Part 46 | Part 47 | Part 48 | Part 49 | Part 50 | Part 51 | Part 52 | Part 53 | Part 54 | Part 55 | Part 56 | Part 57 | Part 58 | Part 59 | Part 60 | Part 61 | Part 62 | Part 63 | Part 64 | Part 65 | Part 66 | Part 67 | Part 68 | Part 69 | Part 70 | Part 71 | Part 72 | Part 73 | Part 74 | Part 75 | Part 76 | Part 77 | Part 78 | Part 79 | Part 80 | Part 81 | Part 82 | Part 83 | Part 84 | Part 85 | Part 86 | Part 87 | Part 88 | Part 89 | Part 90 | Part 91 | Part 92 | Part 93 | Part 94 | Part 95 | Part 96 | Part 97 | Part 98 | Part 99 | Part 100 | Part 101 | Part 102 | Part 103 | Part 104 | Part 105 | Part 106 | Part 107 | Part 108


The meeting was held at Dr A. R. Cutter's house, a constitution was drawn up, accepted April 23, 1831, and signed by Luther Robbins, Caleb Bates, Bradford Rose, Elias Drake, Turner Stetson, Alfred Pierce, Benjamin Allen, Barak Record, Daniel Plumer, Nathaniel Hill, Simeon Rose, Solomon Brown, Jonathan Shepley. Luther Robbins appears as moderator, Nathaniel Robbins as clerk, and Alfred Pierce as treasurer in the records of the early meetings; then come Silas Richardson and Solomon Brown and Luther Robbins again as moderators, Moses Adams as collector, and Isaac N. Thomas, and later Alfred Pierce, as clerk. From the first, meetings were held, preachers employed, and the ministerial fund wisely expended, for in 1836 it was voted "not to expend more than one-half the fund the present season." This year the fund belonging to the Universalists was $111.55. This year these clergymen were employed: Rev. Wm A. Drew, Rev. D. T. Stevens, Rev. G. W. Farr, Rev. Jabez Woodman. In 1851 Alfred Pierce was chosen "to represent the Universalist Society on the committee designated by the town at the last annual meeting to be chosen one from each of the religious denominations in said town for the purpose of receiving the money to be distributed from the ministerial fund and apportion the same among the several religious denomi- nations in said town " and Tristram Hill, Henry S. Harris, and Harrison Rose


533


TOWN OF GREENE.


were chosen to expend the proportion coming to this society, which, in 1852. amounted to $70; the Calvinist Baptists receiving $75.48; the Free Baptists, $61.97; and the Methodists, $39.47. No record occurs from September 1, 1851, to August 20, 1860, when Harrison Rose was chosen secretary, and Job Carville, Albion Pierce, John B. Hooper " a standing committee to collect and receive the interest in the ministerial fund voted to be divided at the last annual town meeting."


There were occasional services held, but the society lost its organization and no united effort was made in the interest of liberal Christianity until 1879, when the following indicates a movement which resulted in a new organization, and the keeping up of life in this religious direction. March 22, 1879, this


Petition and warrant for a new organization of a Universalist society in Greene was sent to Albion Pierce, a justice of the peace in and for the county of Androscoggin. "The under- signed, each of the age of 21 years or more, and a majority of whom reside in said county, being desirous of becoming an incorporated parish or religious society, under the name of the First Universalist society in Greene, request you to issue your warrant to one of them, directing him to notify the other applicants to meet at some proper place on the 29th day of March, A. D. 1879, for the purpose of organizing such a parish by choosing a clerk and other needful parish officers. Signed by Harrison Rose, Hayden Bigelow, Orin Austin, John E. Parker, George Nutting, Albion Pierce, John B. Hooper, Andrew J. Harris, W. G. Rogers, Jedediah Caswell, Edward Sedgely, Benjamin E. Allen, Elijah S. Daly."


Harrison Rose was directed to call the meeting, which was held at the meeting-house March 29, and Harrison Rose was chosen moderator, Hayden Bigelow clerk, and it was voted to organize a religious society as before mentioned; also voted to accept of a constitution and by-laws read and presented by Hayden Bigelow. Chose Harrison Rose, Albion Pierce, Hayden Bigelow, trustees; Albion Pierce, treasurer; and E. S. Daly, collector. The trustees were instructed to procure a quitelaim deed to the society of original pew-owners as are now living, or as many as possible. April 12, 1879, voted to repair the meeting-house, and April 26 the society voted " to accept of the quit- claim deed of original and present pew-owners of the Universalist meeting- house and request the clerk to have it recorded." August 24, 1880, the membership of the society was increased by the addition of ten persons. September 14 voted to remodel and thoroughly repair the church. This was done at an expense of $550. In 1881 the officers chosen were: Hayden Bigelow, clerk ; Dr Albion Pierce, A. J. Harris, Benjamin E. Allen, trustees; Albion Pierce, treasurer ; and E. S. Daly, collector. The votes for the years from this time to 1886 concerning the preaching are, "to instruct the trustees to have Sabbath services as they see fit with money in the treasury and by subscription."


The First Free Baptist Church in Greene was organized April 7, 1826, by this committee, sent from Bowdoin Quarterly Meeting: Rev. Benjamin Thorn,


1 By Lowell M. Mower.


534


HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.


Rev. Samuel Robbins, and Rev. Asa MeGray, a visiting elder from Bennington, Nova Scotia. Rev. Samuel Robbins explained the doctrine of the connection usually known as Free Will Baptists, and Rev. Benjamin Thorn explained what was understood to constitute a church in gospel order according to the New Testament, after which these persons formed themselves into the above church : Samuel Bates, Levi W. Merrill, Peter Freeman, Enos Merrill, Azor Merrill, James Cummings, Sally Merrill, Sarah Bates, Betsey Cummings, Naomi Merrill, Sarah Pratt, Abigail Libby, Dorcas Libby, Sally Fogg, Sarah Freeman, and Cynthia Cummings. The right-hand of fellowship was given by Rev. Samuel Robbins, in behalf of the Quarterly Meeting. Rev. Samuel Robbins was chosen pastor of the church, James Cummings, clerk. At a church meeting, September 17, 1827, Luther Robbins and Levi W. Merrill were chosen deacons. A noted revival, under the labors of Elder Robbins, resulted in a large number being added to the membership. In 1828 a church edifice was built in the west part of the town near the river. This church has been blessed with many faithful ministers, who have labored with good results. In 1833, during the pastorate of Rev. Gideon Perkins, several persons were baptized and united with the church. From 1840 to 1842 there was a powerful revival under the labors of Rev. Ebenezer G. Eaton, by whom 58 were baptized and received into the church. In 1846 there was another gracious revival, under the labors of Rev. Jairus Fuller, resulting in 20 being added by baptism to the church. These revivals carried the center of membership away from the former location, near the river, and for several years the meetings were usually held in school- houses, until 1846, when a part interest was purchased in the Universalist church at Greene Corner, where the church worshiped until the erection of the present church building. For five years previous to 1846 the church was in a very low state, and by advice of a council sent from the Quarterly Meeting it was decided to disband and reorganize.


Reorganization .- The church was reorganized in August, 1856, with these members: Timothy Jordan, Clemina Jordan, Oliver Mower, Harriet H. Mower, Samuel R. Lemont, Jane Lemont, Peter Freeman, Prudence Freeman, David Parker, Jane Parker, Thomas Starbird, Harriet Starbird, Samuel W. Longley, Dorcas Ames, Samuel Maxwell, Mary Maxwell, Patience Warren, Joan Adams, Almira Hodgkins, Miriam Keenan, Ann Petengill, Adaline Alexander. Oliver Mower was chosen clerk and served 30 years. Timothy Jordan and Oliver Mower were chosen deacons. The church was re-admitted into Quarterly Meeting, June, 1857, at the June term at Bowdoin. The following year there was much soulful activity under the ministration of Revs. G. Perkins and M. Getchell, and as a result of their labors 34 members were added, by baptism, to the church. In 1864, during the ministry of Rev. O. W. Smith, 26 were baptized and united with the church. A revival in 1867, under the labors of Rev. C. R. Daggett, a resident of Greene, where God's power to save was


535


TOWN OF GREENE.


especially manifested. As a result 40 persons were baptized at one time, 22 by Rev. C. R. Daggett, and 18 by Rev. W. T. Sargent of the Baptist church ; 22 uniting with the Free Baptist church. In the fall and winter of 1877-78 there was an unusual outpouring of the Holy Spirit under the labors of Charles L. Pinkham, a student of Bates Theological Seminary, a young man full of faith and consecrated to God. The Baptist church united in the work. As a result a large number were converted and many wanderers brought back to the fold ; 33 members were added to the church. Through the influence and energy of Mr Pinkham a new church edifice was built the following year and dedicated with free pews and free from debt. The church, under the present efficient pastorate of Rev. George W. Gould, is well united, and members have been added, making the present membership 109; 71 resident and 38 non-resident.


The pastors have been Rev. Samuel Robbins, Rev. Gideon Perkins, Rev. E. G. Eaton (has had several pastorates here), Elder Willey, Rev. Jairus Fuller (has had several pastorates here), Rev. Isaac Libby, Rev. Mark Getchell (has had several pastorates here), Rev. O. W. Smith, Rev. John Miller, Rev. A. S. Prescott, C. R. Daggett (from 1878 to 1889 the church was supplied from Bates Theological Seminary), Rev. George W. Gould. Deacons: Luther Robbins, Levi W. Merrill, David Barker, Cyrus Barker, Timothy Jordan, Oliver Mower, Samuel Maxwell, Leander Patten, Simeon Coburn, Moses G. Beal, John H. Hodgkins, Samuel H. Marrow, Leander Patten, Jr. Clerks : James Cummings, Levi W. Merrill, Luther Robbins, David Barker, Isaac Griffin, Samuel R. Lemont, E. G. Eaton, Oliver Mower, L. M. Mower. Since the reorganization public services have been constantly held on the Sabbath ; when without a pastor some of the deacons or members of the church would lead the meeting. There have been many active workers in the early days of the church, among them Deacons Luther Robbins, David Barker, Timothy Jordan, Oliver Mower, Samuel Maxwell, Leander Patten, and Brother S. R. Lemont. There have also been many women of strong intellectual powers and abiding faith, whose constancy and zeal have effected much. Deacon Simeon Coburn and Deacon John H. Hodgkins were constant and active in their service, and it might be truly said of them, they magnified their office. Deacon S. H. Marrow is an efficient worker, especially in the Sabbath schools, extending his efforts outside the church. The Sabbath school has a membership of 50, under the superintendence of Deacon Leander Patten. Mr L. M. Mower has been chorister for 35 years, and is the present clerk.


The Methodists occupy the mountain section, the Stetson and the Morse neighborhoods in the north part of the town. Years ago they held regular preaching meetings in the Morse district, but in later years only enough preaching has been done in Greene to secure their proportion of the ministerial fund. The members belong to the Leeds and Greene circuit, which has stated


536


HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.


preaching at Keen's Corner and Quaker Ridge in Leeds. They number from 12 to 15, and the more prominent are John Gray and Cyrus Howe (class leaders), Francis Howe, Charles Sylvester.


The Adventists have about the same strength in town as the Methodists, with no organization and but occasional meetings.


Schools and Teachers. - The first school was taught in the house of Deacon Lemuel Cummings, one of the first three framed houses which tradition says were raised on the same day and were owned by Benjamin Merrill, Benjamin Merrill, Jr, and Deacon Cummings. The school-room was without floor boards and as there was no cellar the pupils used the floor timbers for seats. This school was taught in 1786 by Captain John Daggett, and for several years he was the teacher in the same room, and one term in the house of John Pettingill. The elite of Lewiston sent their advanced pupils for instruction in the higher branches to Greene in the early days, as tradition again informs us. In 1788 or 1789 a school-house was built on a gravelly knoll near Captain Thaddeus Sawyer's. It had one low story, two small windows, and was very small. The next school-house was built near where Samuel Fogg lives; the existing one being put up about 1825. The first division into districts was made in 1790 when the four cardinal points were represented in their names, and from that time efficient school committees and well-educated teachers were provided.


The early teachers succeeding Captain Daggett were Dr Ammi R. Cutter, Captain Sawyer, Aaron Daggett, Esq., Solomon Stafford, Josiah Larrabee, John Mower, Jr, Samuel and Eli Herrick, Masters West and Sylvester, and John Davis, who was liberally educated, and taught the first high school. The next class of teachers were Tristram Hill, Colonel Augustus Sprague, Elias Adams, Esq., Deacon Oliver Mower, Benson Caswell, Ingerson and Ammi Parker. Nathaniel Sawyer and Ammi Parker were graduates of Bowdoin, and taught in the higher institutions. Ruggles Sylvester was the first son of Greene to graduate from a college, and he taught high schools here. Other teachers were Freeman Lander, John E. Sawyer, Rev. Silas E. Cummings, Silas Sprague (who also taught high schools). John Mower, Alexis Herrick, Captain Aaron Mower, and Ziba A. Gilbert were noted and prominent instructors. Among the valuable female teachers were Clarissa Sylvester, Abigail Bailey, Susan Collier, Abigail Cable, Catherine and Hannah Mulloy, Sarah Cutter (Mrs Isaiah Coburn), Franciana Pratt, Delinda Jackson (who has taught about 100 terms, is an instructor of the highest order, fitting many excellent teachers for their work), Augusta Daggett (a- prominent teacher), Mrs Marshall Sawyer, Sedora Hill, Lucinda Harris, Lillie Skillings, Cora Randall, Nettie Pratt, Stella Washburn, Alice Bradbury, and others. Cynthia, Sabrina, and Lydia Allen had much reputation and were able teachers. The town has had its educa- tional interests well cared for. Among the superintending committee have


537


TOWN OF GREENE.


been the best men of the municipality : Tristram Hill, Elias Adams, Thaddeus Sawyer, Aaron Daggett, Stephen W. Sylvester, Freeman Lander, Ingerson Parker, John E. Sawyer, Oliver Mower, Silas Sprague, Col Augustus Sprague, Virgil H. Sprague, Byron G. Hill, Aaron S. Daggett, W. F. Mower, Rev. C. R. Daggett, Greenwood Harris, Dr Albion Pierce, James H. Stetson, Ziba A. Gilbert. Clement S. Stetson is our first able and popular supervisor of schools. Franciana Pratt began teaching when 16, and taught during the summer for 18 years, and most of the winters. She was the first female to teach a winter school, and belongs to the third generation of teachers. Mary Merrill (Mrs John Cummings), also of second generation, was a noteworthy teacher. Captain Aaron Daggett's family of five sons and two daughters were teachers. A. Augusta Daggett taught 20 terms, Rev. Converse R. Daggett over 50 terms, Greenlief Daggett, M.D., 20 terms here and elsewhere. Probably no other family has furnished so many teachers, the members thereof teaching over 25 years. The families of Reuben Stetson, Benjamin Allen, Tristram Hill, and Andrew J. Harris have provided able teachers. Arthur Moulton, Frank Mower, Charles A. Washburn, John Nichols, Charles Nichols, and Ralph A. Parker are graduates of Bates College and teachers in high schools and academies. Galen M. Beals is a graduate of Bates, and John Sturgis of Tufts.


Temperance .- Greene early took a strong stand in favor of temperance, and temperance societies have been well sustained ; the active organization of to-day being Hope Lodge, I. O. G. T., which meets Tuesdays. It is said that no liquor has been sold as a beverage in town for fifty years.


Revolution and the War of 1812 .- Before settling in Greene, Colonel William Sprague, Colonel Jabez Bates, Captain John Daggett, Captain Icha- bod Phillips, Jairus Phillips, Luther Robbins, John and Samuel Mower, Thomas More, George Berry, John Allen, Joseph MeKenney, Benjamin Alden, Ezekiel Hackett, Batchelor Stetson, and Benjamin Quimby had served in the Colonial Army in the Revolution; and in the War of 1812 Captain Daniel Crossman, Aaron and Luther Mower, Elisha Drake, Abner Merrill, Jacob St Clair, Ammi Larrabee, Thomas Graffam, Edward Parker, Gilbert Cham- berlain, Caleb Stetson, Benjamin Pratt, John and Coulard Perham, Joseph Clark, John Adams, Broderie Dillingham, and others went from this town.


Madawaska War (1839) .- John E. Sawyer, 'Samuel Hackett, Joseph Hackett, Amos Hackett, Ezekiel Hackett, George Austin, Jesse Cummings, Leonard Griffin, Lora B. Stevens, Harrison Rose, Mark Caswell, Wm M. Longley, Oliver P. Hooper, Edward Sedgley, Chas A. Additon, Amos Clark, and Jacob Kimball were members of the company of militia which was ordered to the seat of war, but on arriving at Plantation No. 10, now Masardis, their march was stopped by the news of peace.


GREENE IN THE REBELLION. - The town furnished 159 soldiers. 1861, September 28, the town voted that families left in indigent circumstances by


538


HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.


those who had enlisted, be cared for. July 21 voted to pay $70 to each volunteer enlisting to fill up the town's quota of 13 men. September 8 voted to pay each volunteer or drafted man under the last call, $150. 1863, July 8, voted to pay each man enlisting in the army, $50; in the navy, $100; and each drafted man, $200. November 19 voted to pay each volunteer under the last call, $200, and December 26 to pay an additional bounty of $150. 1864, June 25, the selectmen were authorized to pay a town bounty of $25. August 27, voted to advance the state bounties, and to pay a town bounty of $300. August 30 it was reported that 12 men had enlisted, and William M. Longley and J. M. Robbins were chosen to recruit. December 12, voted to pay volun- teers or substitutes $300 for three years, $200 for 2 years, and $100 for one year. 1865, February 11, voted to increase the town bounty $100, if necessary, to raise the quota. April 1 the selectmen were authorized to fill the town's quota on the most reasonable terms. September 25, voted to refund the money subscribed by the Soldiers' Fund Society used in filling the quota of August, 1864.


Centennial. - August 23, 1888, the centennial of the organization of Greene was celebrated with great enthusiasm by a large assembly on Daggett's Hill. Excellent preparations had been made by the committee of arrangement, who were: Eli Hodgkins, Albion Pierce, M.D., Byron G. Hill, V. H. Sprague, Charles A. Bradbury, C. M. Washburn, Clement S. Stetson, H. Scott Parker, John E. Sawyer, Captain Andrew J. Harris, F. N. Mower, Rev. C. R. Daggett. Addresses were made by Rev. S. S. Cummings, Rev. Selden Gilbert, Rev. C. M. Emery. Hon. Ziba A. Gilbert gave the address of welcome, Silas Sprague read a poem, and Mrs Annie C. Pratt, wife of John F. Pratt, M.D., of Chelsea, Mass., gave a historical sketch of the town, concluding with an original poem.


Longevity .- The long list of persons who have lived to a ripe old age in Greene is an eloquent testimonial to the pure air and pleasant climate. Mr Lowell M. Mower gives us the names of these persons who have attained an age of over 80 years, within a square mile from the school-house in district No. 6: John Mower, nearly 95; Philip Keenan, 94, a pensioner of the War of 1812; Mrs Mary Mower, 93; Mrs Julia Johnston, 90; Mrs Jemima Ranlett, 94; Mrs Rebecca Mower, 90; Mrs Thomas Lang, 88; Susannah Adams, 86; Mehitable Mower, 93; Rev. Benjamin B. Murray, 84, father of U. S. Marshal Benjamin B. Murray, Jr, the champion teacher, and at one time the leading Universalist clergyman of Maine; Joseph Manson and his wife in the house south of the school-house; Isaac Furbush, 80, in the next house but one towards the depot; next, Mrs Jane Ellms, 86, the next but one on the left; Isaiah Coburn, 94, and his wife, Sarah, 91, who drew a map of Maine of which our modern draughtsmen might be proud. At the depot, Leonard Mower, 82; Mrs Lydia R. Mower, 94, a daughter of Luther Robbins; the father of the " Betterment Act," Jonathan Mower, 86; Samuel Mower, 86; Jonathan


539


TOWN OF GREENE.


Mower, 2d, 83; William Mower, 83; Mrs Lydia T. Mower, 85; Mrs Abigail Thomas, 86; and Major John B. Hooper, 80. In 1888, besides these, we find these octogenarians and others living in Greene: Mr Lewis, aged 90; Mar- garet Pickett, 89; Oliver Mower, 84, the oldest member of the legislature when he represented the town ; Mr Hodgkins, 84; Col Augustus Sprague, 83; Daniel Quimby, 83; Mr Hawes, 82; Reuben Rae, 82; Mr Quimby, 89; In the pleasant cemetery at Greene Corner, within a very short distance of each other, lie the bodies of Rev. Phineas Pillsbury, aged 92 years 8 months; Hon. Elijah Barrell, aged 83; Rev. David Nutter, aged 81; Isaiah Coburn, aged 92 years 9 months; Stephen Rackley, aged 93 years 8 months.


Burying Grounds. - In 1805 four burying grounds were laid out: one at Greene Corner, one in the Peary neighborhood, one near Capt. Crossman's, and one on the Mountain. The first persons buried at the corner were the wife of John Pettingill and the wife of Benjamin Pratt. The cemetery at the corner has a much more favorable location than the others, and, about 1872, was enlarged, and, through the especial interest of Amos Clark, was much improved, beautified, and enclosed by a substantial and ornamental fence, and from that time it has been kept in fine condition.


THE PHYSICIANS .- Dr George L. Peaslee was born at Gilmanton, N. H., in 1828. He was educated for his profession at Gilmanton and Concord, N. H., received his degree of M.D. in Castleton, Vt, and practiced medicine in Wilton and Auburn, Me. In 1882 he located at Greene, where he has an extensive farm, and still retains his residence in Auburn. Dr Albion Pierce. [See sketch.] Dr Frank E. Sleeper is a resident of Greene, but is more identified with the village of Sabattus, of which the southeastern portion of Greene forms a part.


Oreharding and Orchardists. - About 1850 orcharding became an extensive and remunerative occupation, and the chief industry of the town. The favorite varieties of apples raised are the Baldwins, Northern Spy, Tompkins-County King, Bellflower, Roxbury Russet, and Ben Davis. The fruit is of fine quality, and from its valuable keeping properties brings the highest prices for European markets. John C. Mower, Charles Richardson, Wilbur F. Mower, Alfred P. and Alfred A. Mower, Wm M. Longley, Albion Mower, Ziba A. Gilbert, A. B. Donnell, Wallace W. Mower, H. W. Blaisdell, R. S. Carville, and H. H. Coburn are the largest raisers, each producing in a productive season from 200 to 500 barrels of merchantable fruit. A number of young orchards have been set out in late years, Dr Peaslee having one of 1,000 trees; E. L. Mower and W. W. Stetson one of 300, and large additions have been made to old orchards. Dairying is an important industry. Among those carrying it on most exten- sively are Z. A. Gilbert, John L. Howe, Francis E. Howe, D. B. Wiley, F. B. Hammond, A. B. Parker, Fred B. Parker, W. A. Hoyt, Wm H. Maxwell, Andrew J. Harris, Hayden Bigelow, and Dr G. T. Peaslee. Dr Peaslee is paying attention to Holstein stock and Mr Wiley to Guernsey and Jersey cattle.


540


HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.


Merchants .- Everett L. Mower has been in trade at Greene Station since 1861. Howard W. Gamage has dealt in flour, grain, and feed since 1882, and has a grocery. Alden Sawyer began trade in 1888.


Some Smart Things Done by Greene. Men.1-Aaron Stevens mowed two aeres of heavy grass, a part of it lodged, one morning before breakfast, between the hours of 3 and 7 o'clock, and carried the swaths, some of them being 13 feet wide. A Mr Additon (Isaiah B. Additon's grandfather) trav- eled some five miles, felled two acres of first or old growth woods in one day, and carried two bushels of corn meal home on his shoulder for pay at night. Benjamin Stevens bound one acre of wheat for Thomas Longley within seven minutes. It was brought together in rows and lain in bands. Mr Stevens bound the first bundle, threw it over his head high in the air and before it fell to the ground he bound another and threw it the same way, and thus kept two bundles in the air till it was all bound. Joseph Hackett pitched one ton of hay off an ox-cart up to a common barn scaffold in four minutes and a few seconds; was done on a bet that he could not in seven; hay not weighed, but agreed to as a ton. Mr Hackett took the bet and rum (one gallon). He also cut one cord of wood from one picked tree in 55 minutes, split it, and piled it. (John Stevens timed him, he said, correctly.) John Harris and Calvin Briggs mowed a field of 19 acres, less one acre for bushes and buildings, or 18 acres in one day. They commenced at sunrise and ended at sunset, tended to business, and spoke not a word. The first shingles sawn in this state were sawn by Marcus Gilbert, of this town, at the outlet of Allen Pond in Greene. This Mr Gilbert was a remarkably fine carpenter and tool- maker. He made a set of bench planes which took the first premium in New York City at the State Fair of New York. Ahira Gilbert and Elisha Sampson were also fine, expert joiners. At a trial in making a common four panel 2'-6"x6'-6" door (1 inch or 1} inches thick), taking the lumber in the rough and doing the work all by hand, they each completed a door in two hours, and no difference in time or their motions could be discovered. It was said to be like clock work.




Need help finding more records? Try our genealogical records directory which has more than 1 million sources to help you more easily locate the available records.