History of Androscoggin County, Maine, Part 67

Author: Merrill, Georgia Drew, ed
Publication date: 1891
Publisher: Boston, W.A. Fergusson & co.
Number of Pages: 1050


USA > Maine > Androscoggin County > History of Androscoggin County, Maine > Part 67


Note: The text from this book was generated using artificial intelligence so there may be some errors. The full pages can be found on Archive.org (link on the Part 1 page).


Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5 | Part 6 | Part 7 | Part 8 | Part 9 | Part 10 | Part 11 | Part 12 | Part 13 | Part 14 | Part 15 | Part 16 | Part 17 | Part 18 | Part 19 | Part 20 | Part 21 | Part 22 | Part 23 | Part 24 | Part 25 | Part 26 | Part 27 | Part 28 | Part 29 | Part 30 | Part 31 | Part 32 | Part 33 | Part 34 | Part 35 | Part 36 | Part 37 | Part 38 | Part 39 | Part 40 | Part 41 | Part 42 | Part 43 | Part 44 | Part 45 | Part 46 | Part 47 | Part 48 | Part 49 | Part 50 | Part 51 | Part 52 | Part 53 | Part 54 | Part 55 | Part 56 | Part 57 | Part 58 | Part 59 | Part 60 | Part 61 | Part 62 | Part 63 | Part 64 | Part 65 | Part 66 | Part 67 | Part 68 | Part 69 | Part 70 | Part 71 | Part 72 | Part 73 | Part 74 | Part 75 | Part 76 | Part 77 | Part 78 | Part 79 | Part 80 | Part 81 | Part 82 | Part 83 | Part 84 | Part 85 | Part 86 | Part 87 | Part 88 | Part 89 | Part 90 | Part 91 | Part 92 | Part 93 | Part 94 | Part 95 | Part 96 | Part 97 | Part 98 | Part 99 | Part 100 | Part 101 | Part 102 | Part 103 | Part 104 | Part 105 | Part 106 | Part 107 | Part 108


1 General Daggett was not an applicant for a position in the regular service. The appointment was given without solicitation by recommendation of General Grant, and came as a surprise to General Daggett.


CAPT. JABEZ PRATT.


549


TOWN OF GREENE.


Anslem Cary, of whom he purchased store and goods when the latter removed to Augusta. Mr Parker was a contractor in the building of the M. C. R. R. in Greene, and it was the result of exposure connected with this work that caused his carly decease. His children were Frederic Byron Parker, born at Greene Corner, January 6, 1842. He is a farmer on the old homestead owned with his aunt Franciana; Jabez P., who served as lieutenant in the 16th Maine ; and Louisa F., who married Merritt Rose. Franciana Pratt, or " Aunt Fanny," as she is called by her many friends, was born in the house where she now resides, and has been postmistress at Greene Corner since 1863. She is a most genial and intelligent lady, has been a prominent and successful school-teacher [see teachers], and has many of the characteristics of her father, whom she much resembles in personal appearance.


Dr John6 F. Pratt (Jabez,5 Benj.,4 Jabez,3 Jabez,? Thomas,1), born August 3, 1830, attended school at Monmouth and Hartland (Me.) academies, received his preliminary medical education under Dr Blake of Hartland, served an appren- ticeship as druggist in Portland, was student at Dartmouth and Bowdoin colleges, spent a year in hospital service in Boston, took his degree at Bowdoin in 1856, and the same year settled to the practice of his profession at New Sharon, Me. Here he married Annie, daughter of Judge Oliver L. and Mary A. (Weston) Currier.1 In 1862 Dr Pratt entered the service of his country as Act. Asst Surg., U. S. A., joined the Army of the Potomac at Harrison's Landing, was transferred to Craney Island, and the following winter stationed at Hampton, Fortress Monroe. In 1864 was placed in charge of hospital on flag of truce boat New York, was engaged in exchange of prisoners between City Point, Annapolis, Point Lookout, etc., until the campaign opened on the James river under Gen. Butler. At Bermuda Hundred (Gen. Butler's head- quarters), he opened and had charge of post and small-pox hospitals, and also of the Medical Purveying Dept of the Army of the James. After the War he remained in the service of the Freedmen's Bureau, established hospitals at Point of Rocks and Petersburg, Va, of which he continued in charge until his resignation in 1866, when he returned to his private practice at New Sharon. He removed to Chelsea, Mass., in 1873, his present residence. He is an enthusiastic collector of Maine bibliography, and has been for many years a voluminous contributor to the early documentary history of his native state. The town and county historians of Maine are greatly indebted to the genial doctor for his ever ready assistance in furtherance of their researches.


1 Mrs Pratt has been an unwearied worker for years in historical and genealogical fields, has written for publication, prepared and read a valuable paper on the history of Greene at its centennial, and we are indebted to her kindness for valued information.


550


HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.


LEEDS.


CHAPTER XXX.


Boundaries-Formation -Surface and Soil -Dead River-Its Peculiarities - Indian Village - Thomas and Roger Stinchfield - Early Settlers - Heads of Families in the First Part of This Century -Character of the Early Settlers-Soldiers of the Revolutionary War and War of 1812 - Early Roads.


L EEDS is bounded on the east by Wayne and Monmouth, southwest by Greene, west by Turner and Livermore, north by Livermore and East Livermore, named from the English home of the Stinchfield family, and was formed from the plantation of Littleborough (laid out in 1780-81 by the Pejepscot proprietors, and named in honor of Col Moses Little) and incor- porated, the 128th town, February 16, 1801. A part of Livermore north of a line "extending from old Elder Thomas Francis's north Line to Increase Leadbetter's north Line," embracing about 6,000 acres, was annexed in 1802; in 1809 a half-mile strip was set off from Monmouth; in 1810 Beech Hill was annexed to Wayne; in 1852 the extreme southern portion (often called New Boston) was annexed to Wales. The area is 22,000 acres, and is greatly varied. The interval land along the Androscoggin and Dead rivers is deep alluvial soil, easy of cultivation, but, often, subject to frost. The numerous hills and elevations have a deep loam, mostly free from bowlders and stones, easily cultivated, capable of producing good crops and free from frost. Some parts of the town are evidently ancient beaches of primitive seas or lakes, and the sand lies thick, forming extensive dunes. Interspersed among the uplands are occasional ledges, outcroppings of granite and trap rock, and numerous low places and bogs, which bear cranberries. Bog brook drains an immense bog. From many of the higher elevations, particularly Bates and Boothby hills, extended and beautiful views are presented, and it can be but a question of time when Leeds, with its pure air and water and other attractions, will be a favorite summer resort. The Maine Central railroad runs the entire length of the town, and its four stations, Leeds Junction, Curtis Corner, Leeds Centre, and North Leeds, give easy access.


Dead river discharges the surplus water of more than twenty ponds into the Androscoggin. Its water-shed is 25 miles long and contains 60,000 acres. The river, about six miles long, connects Androscoggin pond with Androscoggin river. The course of Dead river is northwesterly, that of the Androscoggin southerly, so the rivers discharge their waters against each other. A recent


551


TOWN OF LEEDS.


survey shows the pond to be but a few inches higher than the Androscoggin, and in freshets the latter stream rushes up Dead river until the ponds have the same level as the great river, when, until the Androscoggin falls, Dead river has no current. This region is a rich field for geological students. About half-way from the great river to the pond is a remarkable horseback ridge, said to be a continuation of the Chesterville ridge. It once extended across Dead river, damming it to a great height. The pond must then have been not less than 12 miles long. When this ridge gave way, the waters rushed towards the great river, carrying the bowlders and pebbles which are scattered along its way. But the most striking geological feature is the alluvial deposit, "The Cape," lying between the outlet of the pond and its former western shore. It extends a mile into the pond and is divided by the river, which parts before reaching the pond, enclosing a delta of thirty acres. All of this alluvial deposit has come down the Androscoggin in freshets. The rocky promontories forming the head of the cape are the remains of a cluster of islands of azoic origin in the middle of the lake. By the accumulation of the sediment they became part of the peninsula. About half-way from the railroad to the delta is a very narrow isthmus connecting the peninsula with the main land. Through this the Indians cut a canal to float their canoes, shortening their way two miles.


The Indian trail or rather canoe route of travel from the Androscoggin to the Kennebec was up Dead river to Androscoggin pond: from this a portage of half a mile brought them to Wilson pond ; the outlet of this gave navigation to Annabessacook lake; a stream one-half mile long runs from this lake to Cobbosscecontee "Great Pond," which empties into the Kennebec at Gardiner. An Indian village was located on the "Cape," and a burying-place on one of the islands of the pond. Tradition says that very early a wandering white trapper came to this village when there was but one Indian there besides squaws and pappooses. As he left the wigwam he saw the Indian aiming a gun at him, and quickly fired and killed the Indian. Knowing he had no chance to escape vengeance as long as a spectator lived, he killed all of the squaws. Attaching a large number of traps to the bodies he sunk them in the river and fled. When he was a lad, Ensign Otis saw bones of the arms and legs with traps attached, hooked up from the river.


Thomas and Roger Stinchfield, soldiers in the French War, were daring hunters and trappers. They had become thoroughly acquainted with the country and Indians between the Kennebec and Androscoggin rivers. As early as 1773, they made their camp on Dead River, where they could see the Indians on their great trail and barter for furs. They won their friendship by fair dealing and acts of kindness. Thomas was a stalwart man, and both were absolutely fearless. Traditions concerning Thomas show that he treated the natives justly, yet inspired them with fear. He trusted the resident Indians at


552


HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.


all times and never lost a debt if the debtor lived. It is said that onee he found the Sandy River Indians preparing to attack Farmington in retaliation for thefts committed by some of the whites. After a long attempt to pacify them Stinehfield offered to replace their stolen traps and kettles and give them 10 gallons of rum. This offer was accepted and the whites were saved. They gladly paid Stinehfield's bill and expelled the thieves. In 1779 the Stinehfields raised a large erop of corn and vegetables on an old Indian corn field and stored up venison, maple sugar, ete., and in June, 1780, brought their families and goods on two pack horses to the west side of the Androseoggin river, three miles from their home. Guided by Roger the women and children went from there to their future home, while Thomas, his oldest son, Thomas, and the two young men who came with the party, conveyed the goods in dug- outs up the Androscoggin and Dead rivers. Thomas (born 1747) and Roger Stinehfield (born 1752) were sons of John, the English emigrant who settled successively in Gloucester and New Gloucester, and were natives of Glouces- ter, Mass. The children of Thomas and Sarah (Lane) Stinchfield were Thomas, Sarah (married a Hicks), James, Martha (married Isaac Freeman, settled in Greene), Samuel (a sea-captain, lived north of the old home- stead. Among his children were Thomas B., a prominent surgeon of Texas, John K., a leading physician of Elmira, N. Y., Stephen B., a leading lawyer of Denver, Anson Ganeelo, a lawyer of Boston ), John, Rebecca (born Decem- ber 11, 1780, the first female child born in Leeds territory, married Capt. Phineas Foss), Hannah (married Elizur Carver). Roger Stinchfield married Sarah Babson and settled on the north side of Dead river (Thomas living on the south side). Their children were Abigail, married S. Davis; Betsey, married Oliver Otis (Their oldest daughter, Eliza, married first, R. B. Howard; second, Colonel John Gilmore. She was mother of Major-Gen. O. O. Howard, Rev. R. B. Howard, Gen. Charles H. Howard, and Judge R. H. Gilmore.) ; Roger, born February 9, 1781, the first male child born in the settlement; Solomon ; Susan; Zebulon; William ; Benjamin; Ezekiel ; Ezra ; Sarah. Most of these settled in Eastern Maine. Not one of the name lives in town. Oliver Otis, from Scituate, came early. The Wiseasset records say that Adams Royal deeded lot 64 to Oliver Otis, of Lewiston, June 26, 1792. The same year he and his bride moved into the log house, which was exchanged for a frame one "nearly opposite the distriet school house " in 1797. Mr Otis became the wealthiest man in town, in late life moved to Hallowell where he died. Of his three sons, Amos died young, Ensign left early, but returned, and died in 1872. John studied law, and was a member of Congress from Hallowell distriet. John, son of Ensign, lives in Auburn.


In 1782 Jirah Fish settled north of the burying-ground on the farm of Willard Lothrop. He had a large family of boys, who, Mr. Howard says, " were subsequently as carpenters a great help to the early settlers." Two of


553


TOWN OF LEEDS.


his sons took up farms which included Boothby Hill, earlier called Fish and Otis hill. Thomas Millett also came in 1782, as did Daniel Lane. Both had large families and were of great value to the settlement. In 1783 commenced an immigration which brought rapid accessious to the little community. This year and in 1784 came Zadoc Bishop to the east part of the town, Capt. William Gilbert to the southwest part, Daniel Lothrop, Jr, in 1785, to the south end of the pond. All had large families. Then came Increase Leadbetter,


with a family of seven or eight, whose land was the northern boundary. Many Revolutionary soldiers soon followed ; nearly all poor in money, but with hardy constitutions and a working capacity rare at present. Young men came also, and the first census (1790) gave the population as 263. From this time the growth was rapid. Barnabas Howard married Mary Haywood and settled in the north part on the farm owned now by Henry Francis. Their children were Daniel, Luther, Jason, Warren, Barnabas, Mary, Anna, Harriet, Laura, Cornelia. Luther married Rhoda B. Mitchell. He died in 1826. In 1827 Warren married his brother's widow, and lived on the homestead until advanced in life. War- ren was an original member and a deacon of the Free Will Baptist church at North Leeds, a man of exemplary life and excellent character. His large family of children, with Luther, son of his brother Luther, was reared "in the fear and admonition of the Lord "; several of them died in early life. Dexter W., their sixth child, enlisted as a private in 1861, was in 20 hard-fought battles and 30 skirmishes, rose to be colonel, but died in 1866 from wounds received in service. Josiah Turner and half-brother William came early from West Bridgewater, William settling in the east part of the town, and Josiah near Quaker Ridge, where his son Joseph also lived. The homestead is now occupied by Josiah, son of Joseph. These brothers had descendants who intermarried with the best families, and have been among the representative people of Leeds. Doughty Bates moved from Scituate, Mass., in 1793, and settled on the place afterwards occupied by his grandson George Bates. Bates hill takes its name from him. Harvey Bates was chairman of the board of


selectmen for many years. He died in 1877 aged 88 years. Levi Bates, who died December 6, 1885, aged 91, was a native of Leeds and a pensioner of the War of 1812. Stephen Howe was probably here prior to 1800, as it is recorded in Wiscasset, that " Adams Royall of Littleboro deeds March 17, 1796 to Stephen How right of possession and dwelling to lands bounded by lands of Jonathan Fish, Andrew Cushman, Daniel Robbins, James and Daniel Lanes." Stephen Howe was the grandson of Ichabod Howe, of Winthrop, one of the first settlers of that town. George T. Howe, grandson of Stephen and son of Cyprian and Mary (Graffam) Howe, is an enterprising business man, carrying on a farm of 80 acres, and operating a brick-yard at Leeds Junction, and also has one at Liv- ermore Falls ; he produces several hundred thousand bricks annually. He is a Democrat in politics and a good citizen. Joseph Knapp, a Revolutionary


554


HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.


soldier, in 1790 settled on the present town farm. Soon after, Elijah, his brother, settled in the Stinchfield neighborhood, and another brother, Siba, where Benjamin Trask resides, near Strickland's Ferry. Dr Cyrus Knapp, once superintendent of the State Insane Hospital, was son of Siba, and Elijah was grandfather of the late George Knapp and Woodbury S. Knapp. Joseph's wife was Eunice Carver. To her were born (in Bridgewater) Simeon, Barsheba, Charles, Joseph; (in Leeds) John, Elijah, Polly, Eunice, Stephen, Matilda, Betsey, Lucretia, Asa, Ruth. Of the large family of the early Joseph, but two, Charles and Stephen, settled in Leeds. Stephen, now approach- ing his century, resides on the homestead at North Leeds. Samuel Herrick settled at West Leeds, about a mile north of Andrew Cushman's. His homestead was subsequently occupied by his son, Israel, who, for fifteen years prior to 1850, manufactured sewing silk, and built a "cocoonery," but later cut down his mulberry trees. He was representative and held other offices. He died in 1862, and his son, Horace, succeeded to the farm now occupied by his widow and sons. Stephen Foster moved from Winthrop about 1786. His sons were Stephen, John, and Timothy. John married Priscilla Gilbert. Eben Libby came from Saco in 1807, and cleared the Thomas Boothby farm. He married Sarah Foster and died in 1859. Their children were Jane, Ebenezer, T. C., Stephen, and Artemas. Levi Caswell was an early settler; his son, Peleg B., born in 1811, was many times chosen to places of trust, and was considered one of the best teachers of his day. He died in 1884. Morgan Brewster, a pioneer, died February 13, 1856, aged 96. Cyrus Alden died March, 1878, aged 93. He was a captain in the War of 1812, and is said to have been the oldest Free Mason in Maine at the time of his death. The oldest man who died in Leeds was Robert Gould, an early settler of North Leeds, who was 99 years old at the time of his death in 1868.


Heads of families in the first part of this century. - Oliver P. and Joseph Frost, Abner, Daniel, and John Burnham, Zachary Cary, Zachariah Thayer, Solomon, Solomon, Jr, Benjamin, and John Millett, Moses Collier, Benjamin Leadbetter, Peletiah Gould, John S. Cury, Ansel, Hira, Joseph, Benjamin, and William Fish, Samuel Leadbetter, Ira Lindsey, Zachariah Parcher, Amos Murray, Benjamin F. Howard, John, Eleazer, Jr, and William Carver, Cyrus, James, and Joseph Bishop, Samuel, Thomas, and James Stinchfield, Lewis, Samuel, John, Isaac, and Perez S. Jennings, William Turner, Andrew Cushman, John Parcher, Ezekiel Bates, Joshua Elder, Caleb R. Sumner, Benjamin Carll, Rowland B., and Warren Howard, True Paul, John, Naphtali, and Ebenezer Mason, Thomas Southward, James Stanley, Thomas Lindsay, Isaac, Moses, and Moses, Jr, Collier, Daniel Robbins, David Woodman, Isaac, Joseph, and Stephen Freeman, Daniel, Jr, Lothrop, Oliver Drake, Benjamin Grant, Oliver Otis, Daniel, Jr, Deacon Giddins, Elias, Peter, and James Lane, Uriah, Walter, Levi, Ruel, and Ephraim Foss, Samuel Wood, Harvey Rose, Daniel, George, Sullivan, Samuel, and Thomas Lothrop, Obadiah and William Pettingill, William Robbins, Dodavah Harmon, Ziba, Elijah, Joseph, and Joseph, Jr, Knapp, Nathaniel House, Nelson, Nathaniel, Jr, and Hira Gilbert, Oliver Randell, Joseph Mitchell, Isaac, Samuel, Robert, Simeon, and Joseph Gould, Levi Dunham, Abiel Daily, Jacob Bailey, Morgan Brewster,


555


TOWN OF LEEDS.


Samuel Graves, Charles and Samuel Swift, Abner Curtis, Alpheus and Joseph Turner, James B. Wendall, Daniel Richards, Stephen Webster, Zebulon Dean, Stephen Rackley, Ephraim Bumpus, Ammi Woodman, Othniel and Isaac Pratt, Edward Jones, Ezra, Amos, Joshua, and Amos, Jr, Berry, William Haines, Capt. William, Cornelius, and Samuel Gilbert, Daniel Parcher, Emery Newton, Beriah and Zoah Samson, Enoch Tupper, John Randall, Zephaniah Hicks, Thomas Piper, Hazael Sampson, Peltiah Knapp, Francis George, Zebulon, Thomas, Jr, and Solomon Millett, Ephraim Andrews, George Bridgham, Stillman and William Moulton, Thomas Additon, Robert Elms, Archibald, William, and James, 2d, Lindsey, Samuel Day, William T., Marcus, and Ahirah Gilbert, Oscar D. Turner, Jesse Berry, Leavitt Lothrop, Michael Samson, Spencer Trask, Joseph Day, Nathaniel Doggett, Levi Caswell, Thomas Mitchell, Nathan Richmond, Nathaniel Owing, Zebulon Libby, Bachelder Wing, Thomas Francis, Thaddeus Chambers, Charles Bates, Obadiah Turner, Simeon and Phinehas Foss, Caleb and Eleazer Carver, Seth Howard, Hamilton Jenkins, William Mitchell, John C. Fish, Simeon Knapp, Seth Rose, Isaac Boothby, Samuel Felch, Ebenezer Libby, Ansel Turner, Daniel Witham, Josiah and George Turner, John Rowe, Luther Carey, Nathan Randell, Elisha Pratt, John Gould, Daniel Parcher, John Francis, John D. Millett, William A. Day, Seth Cary, Stephen and Timothy Foster, Wm B. Curtis, Joseph Pettingill, Thomas Drinkwater, Stillman Howard, James and Ebenezer Stinchfield, Israel Herrick, Daniel Lane, Charles Knapp, Welcome Bishop, Samuel Stubbs, Thomas Graffam, Daniel Ford, Sullivan, Jr, Lothrop, Philip C. Mason, Stephen Boothby, Nathaniel Jennings, Ansel Fish, Hervey Sylvester, Asa, Jr, Rose, Lewis Turner, Houghton Sumner, Benjamin Gilbert, Isaac and Gilbert Magown, Caleb and Caleb, Jr, Wing, John Beals, Josiah Turner, Issachar Lane, Joseph, Jr, Freeman, Luther Ramsdall, Daniel Lindsey, Heber Kimball, Cyrus Foss, Philip Libby, Andrew, Jr, Cushman, Thaddeus Foss, Wm Gould, Wm Day, Joseph Frost, Simeon Wood, Henry and Alexander Jennings, John Foster, Moses and Moses, Jr, Collier, Levi Gould, Daniel, Jr, Robbins, Thomas W. Bridg- ham, Renel Pettingill, David Howe, Isaac Freeman, Charles Bates, Arcadus Pettingill, Thomas Lindsey, Alson and Solomon Lothrop, Joshna Turner, Hazenan Draper, Salmon Brewster, Rufus Lincoln, Luther L., Barnabas, and Barnabas, Jr, Howard, Thomas Libby, Jirah, Jr, Seth, and Seth, Jr, Fish, John and John, Jr, Beals, David Additon, Stephen Knapp, Oliver Cushman, Cyrus Sampson, Merrick, James, Jr, and Ira Lamb, John Sturdi- font, Francis George, Joshua Tupper, Hervey Bates, Seth Fish, James Wing, Howard Sylvester, Amos Phillips, John Thompson, John L. Lane, Wm Ramsdell, John Perry, Samuel, Samuel, 2d, and Abner, Jr, Brown, Ira Lothrop, Charles Knapp, Nathaniel, Jr, House, Gideon Owen, Jabez Doggett, Robert Crummit, Libbeus Curtis, Levi Gilbert, Isaac Pettingill, Benjamin Dunham, John, Jr, Jennings, Jason Howard, Nathan Stetson, Ira Sampson.


Soldiers of the Revolution and War of 1812 .- The character of the settlers was of the best. The leaders were intelligent, patriotic, thoughtful men, and most of the original settlers had felt the vicissitudes of a soldier's life in the Revolution, and cherished the preservation of the liberty for which they had fought. Their names have been preserved by Mr Howard. They are Major Daniel Lothrop, Lieut Daniel Lothrop, 2d, Lieut William Gilbert, Lieut Elisha Shaw, Thomas D. Francis, George Parcher, Increase Leadbetter, Benjamin Woodman, James Lamb, Andrew Cushman, Abram Wickett, William Lindsay, Thomas Millett, Joseph Knapp, Francis George, Daniel Lane, Jirah Fish, Daniel Robbins, Ebenezer Mason, Daniel Haines, David


556


HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.


Paul, M. T. Paul, Oliver Randall, Stephen Foster, Aaron Brewster, Zebulon Bishop, James Lindsay, Samuel Arnold, Isaac Collins, Daniel Jones, William Turner, Israel Royal, Nathaniel House, one named Phillips, one named High- land, and three negroes, Cuff Chambers, Prince D'Onset, Simon Pero. In the War of 1812 quite a number were sent by Leeds. Among these were Benjamin Woodman, Nathaniel House, Jr, Charles Pratt, Walter Pratt, Samuel Swift, Joseph Freeman, Allen Freeman, Levi Bates, Bennett Lamb, Eli Herrick, William Mitchell, Benjamin Higgins, Daniel and David Paul, A. Southard.


The First Road for winter use was "bushed out " in the fall of 1780, through Greene to Lewiston, the settlers along the route from New Gloucester joining in the work. Along this the first three cows were brought in December, 1780. In the winter of 1780-81 a road was bushed out from the east side of the pond five miles to the grist-mill in Winthrop. Early roads .- 1801, June 1. These roads were accepted : -


1. Beginning at Monmonth line four rods from the line between Daniel Lothrop, Jr, and Joseph Bishop, and running to the road leading by Elias Lane's to the south part of Leeds. 2. Beginning on the Monmouth line 16 rods from the N. W. corner of said line, and running thence in a westerly direction to the county road. 3. Beginning at Livermore south line at the N. W. corner of lot No. 99 thence S. 5. W. 525 rods to the S. W. corner of Lot No. 95. 4. Beginning at the road between Nathaniel House's and Thos Lindsay's line, thence S. W. 80 rods. 5. Beginning at the Androscoggin river between No. 9 & 10, and running easterly to the road nigh Jonathan Fisher's. 6. Beginning at Green line between William Gots and Black Nathan's, and running northeasterly. 7. Beginning 21 rods from Abiatba Richman's and running north easterly to the county road. 8. Beginning on the county road nigh the line between Oliver Randell and Abiel Daily, and running southwesterly to Greene. 9. Beginning at the N. W. corner of Leeds and running southerly on the bank of the river 510 rods.


Voted, June 1, 1801, that these roads should be four rods wide. November 30 voted against indulging Mr Thomas Francis and others in having the road leading from Livermore line to the county road three rods wide. Accepted of a road beginning at Andrew Cushman's on the road leading from Jennings's to Jonathan Fisher's, and running by James Stanley's to the southwest corner of James Lamb's lot. Abiel Daily, Peter Lane, and Isaac Boothby were the committee to examine the work done by Thomas Stinchfield on the road on the north side of Dead river. 1802, April 5, accepted roads: -




Need help finding more records? Try our genealogical records directory which has more than 1 million sources to help you more easily locate the available records.