History of Androscoggin County, Maine, Part 57

Author: Merrill, Georgia Drew, ed
Publication date: 1891
Publisher: Boston, W.A. Fergusson & co.
Number of Pages: 1050


USA > Maine > Androscoggin County > History of Androscoggin County, Maine > Part 57


Note: The text from this book was generated using artificial intelligence so there may be some errors. The full pages can be found on Archive.org (link on the Part 1 page).


Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5 | Part 6 | Part 7 | Part 8 | Part 9 | Part 10 | Part 11 | Part 12 | Part 13 | Part 14 | Part 15 | Part 16 | Part 17 | Part 18 | Part 19 | Part 20 | Part 21 | Part 22 | Part 23 | Part 24 | Part 25 | Part 26 | Part 27 | Part 28 | Part 29 | Part 30 | Part 31 | Part 32 | Part 33 | Part 34 | Part 35 | Part 36 | Part 37 | Part 38 | Part 39 | Part 40 | Part 41 | Part 42 | Part 43 | Part 44 | Part 45 | Part 46 | Part 47 | Part 48 | Part 49 | Part 50 | Part 51 | Part 52 | Part 53 | Part 54 | Part 55 | Part 56 | Part 57 | Part 58 | Part 59 | Part 60 | Part 61 | Part 62 | Part 63 | Part 64 | Part 65 | Part 66 | Part 67 | Part 68 | Part 69 | Part 70 | Part 71 | Part 72 | Part 73 | Part 74 | Part 75 | Part 76 | Part 77 | Part 78 | Part 79 | Part 80 | Part 81 | Part 82 | Part 83 | Part 84 | Part 85 | Part 86 | Part 87 | Part 88 | Part 89 | Part 90 | Part 91 | Part 92 | Part 93 | Part 94 | Part 95 | Part 96 | Part 97 | Part 98 | Part 99 | Part 100 | Part 101 | Part 102 | Part 103 | Part 104 | Part 105 | Part 106 | Part 107 | Part 108


1 Soldiers of the Revolution.


470


HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.


Heath by this time had joined this colony and located here or in the central part of the town. Timothy and William Higgins, Levi Temple, Benjamin Henderson, and Nathaniel Gilpatrick had settled along the east side of the Sabattus before 1788, and from 1793 till 1802 came to the town as settlers Paul' and John Nowell, Matthew and Benjamin Jordan, James and John Wilson, Belcher and Elijah Jones, Samuel and Joseph Deering, Samuel and Matthew Libby, Joseph, James, and Thomas Maxwell, John and Nathaniel Smith, William and Jonathan Mitchell, John and William Rideout, Robert Duncan,1 John Henderson, Jonathan Whitney, John McManus, Patrick Conner, Samuel Thompson, Daniel Green, Robert Niles, John Farrow, Stephen Hibbert, John Gould, Elias Moody, John Gould, Elisha Hanson, Jacob Pettin- gill, Samuel Mallett, Zebulon Preble, John Lara, Simeon Rieker,1 Abraham Frost, James Calef,1 Jacob Furbush, Downing Gooding, Nathaniel Sheldon, Benjamin Hodgkins, Elias Storer,1 Samuel Bennett, Foster Wentworth,1 and perhaps others. A few of these came direct from Massachusetts, but most of them came from the older towns of York and Cumberland counties. Some who came after 1800, were Benjamin Donnell, from Bath, whose first wife was Rebecca, daughter of Jesse Davis, and whose land was situated westward, a short distance from the southern village; Charles White, also from Bath, a carriage maker, who married a daughter of the Rev. Jonathan Ellis, of Topsham, and whose farm, before owned by William A. Dalton, was near the western base of Sabattis mountain. Benjamin Robinson and his son John, the brothers Walter Jordan and Isaiah Jordan, Cyrus Marr, and Apollos Miller, all from Cape Elizabeth ; Asa Johnson, from Andover, Mass .; Jeremiah Moody, from Westbrook; one Kenney, living on the hill of that name; one Westcott, Benjamin Howard, Hiram Jack, Fairfield Golder, Samuel Torrin, Thomas Polly, Edward Brewer from Freeport, John Coffin, Caleb Lord, Lee Gilbert, Lemuel Small, Rev. William Frost, Samuel Ramsdell, Solomon and Richard Maxwell from Cape Elizabeth, John Vosmus, William Lane, Lewis Cushman, and John Sampson, from Bowdoinhan.


Early Roads .- As early as the first settlement, a winter road was opened southward to the central parts of the town, known long afterwards as the Mast Road, over which were taken the trunks of large white-pine trees to the Androscoggin at Little River, thence floated to Brunswick, then drawn by teams to Maquoit bay, thence taken by water to Portland and used for masts and spars. The first public highways were surveyed by Amos Davis, of Lewiston, in June, 1788, under the direction of the selectmen, William Gowell, Samuel Tebbetts, and Ebenezer Temple, and were generally along the route of rough " bridle paths," previously opened. One of these roads is identified as the one extending along the northern part of Lisbon ridge northward by the Robert Hewey estate. Over this road for a long period were taken the


1 Soldiers of the Revolution.


471


TOWN OF WEBSTER.


products for exchange in the towns on the Kennebec river, or in those on tide-water. In 1843 it became a branch of the Bay Bridge Road. At the same time another road was made, extending in the irregular line to the few scattered locations of the settlers from near the eastern limits of the town, west- ward across the Mast Road, in front of the cabin of Thomas Tebbets, onward by the house of Timothy Tebbetts, over Davis's mill pond and Davis's north line to Clark's Meadow Brook, since called Dwelly's Brook, near the western boundary of the town. The town, in 1795, recognized the rugged way they had "swamped " over the rocky high land, near their dwellings, from the western boundary eastwardly half a mile to its intersection with the road surveyed in 1788 by Amos Davis, as a public town way. In 1797 the town adopted the road opened by the colonists on the western margin of the town, extending from the road just mentioned, northwardly to Wales, and with but little variation it is still traveled. In 1806 the town discontinued the road from Davis's Mills along the western banks of Sabattis river, fronting upon which, eastwardly, were the dwellings of Mrs Davis, Jonathan Jordan, Foster Wentworth, William Bucknam, and Russell Hinkley; another one was located 50 yards west, and this, with some changes, forms with the road last mentioned a continuous line from Lisbon to Wales.


Some First Things. - In the Inventory of 1792 occurs the first mention of the ownership of a horse, when a settler is assessed £6 for one and £4 for "sleigh and tackling." The first wagon was brought here in 1805 by Captain Nathaniel Eames, and in 1825 Dr Bellows had a chaise. By 1840 the threshing machine had been introduced, and a few years later came the horse-rake. Benjamin D. Bryent took the first newspaper in 1806. The first birth was that of John Ross in 1788. He died in Wales in December, 1851.


Early Values. - From 1784 to 1792 Jesse Davis sold to 16 settlers 1,480 acres of land, almost the whole of excellent quality, but forest land, for £534 sterling, equivalent to $237. The dollar being rated at 45 shillings sterling, the price of this land was 16 cents an acre. A resident here is charged, in an account in 1789, with sole leather at 20 cents a pound, a side of upper leather $2, or 90 shillings old tenor; in 1794 with 240 nails, double tens, 50 cents ; tea, $1 a pound; in 1796 with molasses at 75 cents a gallon, salt $1 a bushel, coffee at 25 cents a pound; in 1797 with "cotton wool " at 50 cents a pound ; and is credited in account in 1792, for wheat at $1 a bushel, a horse at $28, and "one ox for beef," $20.


First Magistrates. - The first justice of the peace resident here was Samuel Tebbetts, who came from Brunswick and went to Ohio with other settlers to permanently reside in the cold year of 1816. Noah Jordan was the next com- missioned justice. He came from Cape Elizabeth and owned the mills and water privilege improved and built by Jesse Davis. Benjamin Dole Bryent was the next commissioned magistrate. He was educated at Exeter (N. H.)


472


HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.


Academy, and later was a merchant in Portland. He came here in 1806, married Rachel, daughter of Jesse Davis, and was a life-long resident. Ben- jamin Dole Bryent, Jr, Esq., was his son.


There have been but few lawyers here. Levi Stowell was in practice some years from 1819. To him succeeded Samuel Gooch, and later Samuel Moody. James Emerson, from Bridgton, was here from 1830 to 1853. Jacob Hill, a graduate of Brown University, who had for some years the editorial manage- ment of the Portland Advertiser, came here later and was in the practice of law with his son, Stetson L. Hill, who is the successor to their firm. Barker Curtis, Esq., was a lawyer of Windham for some years from 1807, but did not practice while a resident here.


The early physicians were Dr Ithamar Bellows, who came from Massa- chusetts in 1815, Dr Benjamin H. Mace, from New Gloucester, Dr Leach and Dr Benoni Cutter. Later have practiced here Dr Dwelly, Drs Daniel and Alonzo Garcelon, of Lewiston, and located here have been Dr John A. Carter, Dr Frank E. Sleeper, located in Sabatis in 1870, and Dr M. T. Newton, a few years since.


Ephraim Jordan, the first of the name to cross the Androscoggin, came in 1787 from Cape Elizabeth, and purchased 150 acres from Jesse Davis and Samuel Simmons, on which was a small clearing. Here he lived until his death, at an advanced age, December 11, 1846, his only son, Captain Thomas Jordan, succeeding to his estates. Paul Nowell, born October 24, 1754, with his wife located soon after the Revolution in the southeastern part of the town and was a life-long resident, dying in 1835. His son, Jeremiah, became a prominent sea-captain, and commanded the vessel which conveyed Jerome Bonaparte and his wife, Elizabeth Patterson, from Baltimore to Europe in 1805. After 27 years of life at sea he came to Webster and bought a farm of Joseph Deering in the east part of the town, married successively Hannah and Eleanor Hewey, and died September 5, 1854.


Among some of the more prominent of early residents not otherwise especially mentioned were : Captain Nathaniel Eames and Captain Ithamar B., his son, Captain Edward Drinkwater and his son Abijah, Foster Wentworth, Apollos Miller, Amos, Orrin, and Albert Dwinel, William H. Colby, Captain Samuel Cushman, Benjamin Howard, Walter and Robert Jordan, Luther L. Lombard. Two companies of militia, commanded by Captain Benjamin D. Bryent and Captain Samuel True, were called to Bath in the War of 1812, and Joseph Sanborn, son of Jethro Sanborn, was in active service through the war. (His farm is now owned by Edwin Andrews.) Benjamin Day and Albert Dwinel were soldiers of the Mexican War, and John C., son of Major William P. Davis, graduated at West Point in 1824 and became an officer of the regular army. Major-General Benjamin Burgess, who resided here most of his life, dying however in Durham, was a man of great size and strength,


473


TOWN OF WEBSTER.


with most polished, genial, and courteous manners. He was long time deputy sheriff and sheriff of Lincoln county, possessed prominence in state affairs, and was a presidential elector in 1832. He was a model officer of the militia, where his title was acquired.


James Maxwell came to that part of Webster, now Sabattus village, from Cape Elizabeth, nearly a century ago and located on the farm now occupied by his grandson, J. Wesley Maxwell. On the rise of land overlooking the lake he erected his log buildings, cleared his fields, and was a life-long resident. His wife was Nancy Peables, and their children attaining maturity were Charles (who lived and died in Poland), William, and James, who is a resident of Webster. William, born October 13, 1806, succeeded his father on the home farm, married Mary, daughter of Jonathan Davis; their surviving children are: Davis (lives in Wales), Charles H. (lives in Auburn), J. Wesley, Rebecca, Cedora C. (Mrs Charles F. Smith). Mr Maxwell was an industrious and prosperous farmer, and dealt quite largely in cattle and land. He died in November, 1883. J. Wesley Maxwell, son of William and Mary (Davis) Maxwell, was born in Webster, September 18, 1841. He had a common and high school education supplemented by attendance at Litchfield Academy and Maine State Seminary. He is a farmer and surveyor, and has been conversant with town and county affairs, and a most useful man in the community. As a teacher for 16 winters he thoroughly understands educa- tional needs, and for a quarter of a century he has been connected with the management of the schools as superintending school committee or supervisor ; and for 25 years consecutively he has been chosen town clerk, and in all his official positions his duties have been faithfully and promptly performed; as a Republican he represented his town in the legislature of 1876; he has been county commissioner nine years, and a member of the state valuation committee two years. Mr Maxwell is a Free Baptist in his religious views. He married, October 17, 1869, Clara F., daughter of Joel and Elizabeth (Given) Moulton, of Greene. Their children are Lilla M., Mary E., Wendell E., and Bertha L. They have a beautiful home on the site of the old homestead.


Samuel Simmons came to Webster early and bought a lot and built a house near Robinson's monntain. He was one of the first school teachers here, had much literary culture, and his chirography was very neat and legible. He was very tall, possessed great muscular power, and had served five years in the army of the Revolution. He died at Canton. Through his son, John, and grandson, Loring, descends Franklin Simmons, the celebrated sculptor, whose mother was Dorothea, daughter of William Batchelder, an early resident. Franklin Simmons was born in Webster, January 11, 1839, and about 1854 came to Lewiston, and soon after became assistant paymaster of the Hill Mill, where his first modeling was done. He subsequently opened a studio in Lewiston, and made busts of Rev. George Knox, President Champlin of


474


HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.


Waterville College, Hon. Lot M. Morrill, and Professor Packard of Bowdoin, and an ideal figure, "The Newsboy," lost in the burning of the Lewiston city building. He soon removed to Portland, and executed the monument of Governor Dunlap at Brunswick, and the statue of General Berry. He removed from Portland to Washington and made busts (among others) of President Lincoln, Generals Grant and Meade, and modeled the statue of Roger Williams for the state of Rhode Island. The soldiers' monument in Lewiston City Park, and the statue of Edward Little, in Auburn, were his work. In 1868 he went to Rome, where, in a six-years' residence, he did much fine work. From that date his genius has had a world-wide celebrity, and his home has been principally in Italy.


Benjamin D. Bryent, Jr, son of a wealthy farmer, was born in Webster, August 15, 1815, and died in April, 1887. Educated at Bowdoin and in New York, where he became a lawyer, the death of his betrothed made him a reeluse, and he lived for years in an old house in Webster. Learned in the law, in science, in literature, speaking five languages, a graceful writer and artist, he chose to live in obscurity. He passed his time in reading and in writing fragments of local history, verses, philosophical disquisitions, genealogies, etc. He became a tall, old man, with bald head, gray beard, and refined face, who dressed neatly, and avoided meat, butter, and grease as food. Ilis last request was that his death should be unnoticed, that no plate should decorate his coffin, and that his age should not be carved on his grave-stone. We are indebted to his work for much of value in our history.


First Town Meeting and Excerpts from Town Records. - The first meeting was called by Benjamin D. Bryent, justice of the peace, on the application of Jonathan B. Jordan, Eben Jordan, James Bryent, Reuben Kimball, Jesse Davis, Jonathan Davis, Asa Sawyer, Thomas Jordan, Ephraim Jordan, P. M. Garcelon, and William B. Jordan. He directed Thomas Jordan to notify the free-holders to meet at the barn of Hugh Weymouth, March 30, 1840, for the choice of town officers. John L. Cutter was chosen clerk; Thomas Jordan, Joseph Sanborn, and Philip M. Garcelon, selectmen, assessors, and overseers; $450 were voted for schools; $900 for expenses; $1,400 for highways. April 16 met at the barn of Phineas Jones. Chose Thomas Fenderson, Philip M. Garcelon, and Solomon Maxwell to ascertain the center of the town and the most suitable location for a town-honse. September 14 voted to set the town- house on the road on which Hugh Weymouth lives, near the residence of Jonathan McKenney, and that until the town-house be built, all town-meetings be holden in Hugh Weymouth's barn. 1841, February 22, a committee was chosen to petition the legislature for a separate representation. March 22 the limits of eleven school districts were established. 1846, March 23, voted the assessors view each person's property and put the value upon the valuation book at the full amount of the appraisal. 1847, March 15, voted to build a


475


TOWN OF WEBSTER.


town-house as near the Henry Carville school-house as possible, and Thomas Henderson, Jesse Davis, and Thomas Jordan chosen to build the house for $150, it to be finished by September 1, unless $25 could be saved by deferring it another year. August 12 the selectmen fixed the pound-keeper's charges : Horses, 24 hours, 42 cents; two-year-old colts, 33 cents; one-year-old colts, 25 cents; sheep and swine, 24 hours, 10 cents each; for neat cattle, each, 24 hours, 20 cents.


1848, March 15, voted to relinquish any claim against the Sabattus Corpo- ration for raising the waters of the pond and flowing the road. June 3 Benoni Cutter was licensed to sell wine, brandy, rum, etc. 1854, March 6, voted to dispose of the public magazine, lead, etc., and to put movable seats and four desks into the town-house. 1856, March 10, voted to furnish guide-boards at such road crossings as they deem proper. 1858, June 7, Webster cast 52 votes for the prohibitory law of 1858, and 18 for the license law of 1856. 1860, March 12, it was voted to relinquish all claim to about $64.12 in the hands of Mr Llewellyn Williams, received by him from sales of liquors, and also all casks except those having liquors in them. April 21 voted that all buildings erected for manufacturing purposes be exempt from taxation. April 19 the line between Wales and Webster was perambulated. 1865, March 30, voted to issue bonds to the amount of its present indebtedness (or a portion thereof), and for the payment of all future bounties to soldiers. 1867, June 3, Webster voted unanimously (51 votes) in favor of amending the prohibitory law of 1858. 1868, September 14, voted (94) in favor of the assumption by the state of the war debts of towns, none against. 1870, February 10, voted to fund the town debt for 15 years, and to use the bonds coming from the state, for the equalization of municipal war debts towards the funding of said debt. 1875, January 9, J. W. Maxwell, K. Donnell, and J. G. Jordan were appointed to use all honorable means to prevent a dismemberment of the town. 1879, September 8, 123 votes were cast for biennial sessions, none against. 1881, March 14, the selectmen were instructed to perambulate the line between Webster and Lewiston, and cause suitable monuments to be erected. 1887, March 14, voted to raise $150 for the support of a free high school, also to pay $250 for a road machine; to build, at an expense of $60, a suitable house to lodge tramps in. 1891, March 9, the appropriations were: Support of poor, $400; common schools, $1 per inhabitant; free high school, $200; repair of highways, sidewalks, and bridges, $1,000; permanent repairs on school-houses and purchase of books, $400; fuel for schools, $100; contingent expenses, $400.


The state valuation of 1890 was $395,082, with 266 polls. The U. S. census of 1890 made the valuation as $432,447, and the population 914.


Webster in the Civil War. - 1862, June, voted to raise $175 for relief of soldiers' families in Webster. July 23 voted to pay each soldier enlisting to


476


HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.


fill the quota of the town (being ten) $100, and a note for $1,000 was made and signed by Jonathan Davis, Esq., and 52 others. August 18 voted to raise $1,400, to be expended in procuring soldiers to fill the town's quota under the President's call for nine months' men and that each man enlisting be paid $100, and September 2 voted to raise $800 upon a note signed by Jesse Davis and 19 others. September 9 $2,200 additional was voted, and the bounty for nine months' men was made $200. 1863, March 9, voted to raise $200 to furnish aid to soldiers' families in time of need; and if that sum should prove insuffi- cient, the selectmen were authorized to raise the necessary amount by loan. November 20 voted to pay $250 to each volunteer to fill the quota to the number of 12. 1864. August 1, voted to raise $25 to each man required of Webster under the President's call of July 18, 1864; and S. L. Hill, Retiah D. Jones, and Omar D. Potter be a committee to solicit from all liable to the coming draft $40, and that such sum go to the assistance of those who sub- scribed, if a draft should take place. August 5 voted the same committee with Jesse Davis, Esq., to procure the town's quota. November 19 the same committee were directed to procure five volunteers, to be accredited to the quota of the town under any future call, and pay the volunteers the necessary bounties. According to the list on file in the office of the clerk, $2,686 were raised by subscription among citizens liable to a draft. Lieutenant Otis R. Colby of the Fifteenth Maine, Joseph P. Work, Company F, Nineteenth Maine, Charles Maines, Seventeenth U. S. Infantry, and Charles Robinson, First New York Cavalry, who died in service, may not appear in our military history.


CIVIL LIST. - 1840 - Thomas Jordan, Joseph Sanborn, Philip M. Garcelon, selectmen; John L. Cutter, elerk. 1841 - Philip M. Garcelon, Thomas Jordan, Jonathan B. Jordan, seleetmen; John L. Cutter, clerk. 1842- Philip M. Garcelon, Thomas Jordan, Jonathan B. Jordan, selectmen; John L. Cutter, clerk. 1843- Jesse Davis, Samson Colby, William G. Gareelon, seleetmen; Philip M. Gareelon, clerk. 1844 - Jesse Davis, Samson Colby, Samuel Cushman, selectmen; Philip M. Garcelon, clerk. 1845- Jesse Davis, Philip M. Garcelon, Melvin Henderson, selectmen; Philip M. Gareelon, clerk. 1846- Jesse Davis, Samuel Cushman, James Mann, selectmen; Philip M. Gareelon, clerk. 1847 - Philip M. Gareelon, Wentworth Jordan, James Mann, selectmen; Philip M. Garcelon, clerk. 1848- Jesse Davis, D. L. Weymouth, J. B. Jordan, selectmen; Philip M. Garcelon, clerk. 1849-Samson Colby, Melvin Henderson, John M. Maxwell, seleetmen; Philip M. Garcelon, clerk. 1850- Samson Colby, John M. Maxwell, James Bryant, seleetmen; Philip M. Garcelon, clerk. 1851 - Samson Colby, John M. Maxwell, James Bryant, selectmen; James Bryant, clerk. 1852 - Samson Colby, John M. Maxwell, James Bryant, selectmen; James Bryant, elerk. 1853 - John M. Maxwell, James Bryant, Nathaniel Dennett, selectmen; James Bryant, clerk. 1854- John M. Maxwell, James Bryant, Nathaniel Dennett, selectmen; James Bryant, clerk. 1855-James Bryant, Nathaniel Dennett, Foster D. Wentworth, selcetmen; James Bryant, clerk. 1856- John M. Maxwell, Foster D. Went- worth, Uriah Gray, selectmen; James Bryant, elerk. 1857 -Jonathan B. Jordan, Kingsbury Donnell, Charles R. Mitchell, selectmen; Angustus M. Cary, elerk. 1858- Jonathan B. Jordan, Kingsbury Donnell, Charles R. Mitchell, seleetmen; Augustus M. Cary, elerk. 1859 - Jonathan B. Jordan, Kingsbury Donnell, JJames Mann, selectmen; Angustus M. Cary, clerk. 1860 - Nathaniel Dennett, Omar D. Potter, John Whitten, selectmen; Augustus M. Cary, clerk. 1861 - Nathaniel Dennett, Omar D. Potter, Cyrus Haskell, selectmen; Augustns M. Cary, elerk. 1862 - Jesse Davis, Omar D. Potter, Cyrus Haskell, selectmen; Augustus M. Cary, clerk. 1863- Jesse Davis, Cyrus Haskell, James Hewey, selectmen; Augustus M. Cary, clerk. 1864 - Jesse Davis, Omar D. Potter, James Mann, selectmen; Augustus M. Cary, elerk. 1865 - Jesse Davis, Omar D. Potter, James Mann, selectmen; Angustus M. Cary, elerk. 1866- James Bryant, James Mann, Kingsbury Donnell,


477


TOWN OF WEBSTER.


selectmen; Augustus M. Cary, elerk. 1867-James Bryant, Stetson L. Hill, Arthur Maxwell, selectmen; J. W. Maxwell, clerk. 1868- James Bryant, Stetson L. Hill, Arthur Maxwell, selectmen; J. W. Maxwell, elerk. 1869 - Kingsbury Donnell, John Eaton, George B. Haskell, selectmen; J. W. Maxwell, clerk. 1870-Jonathan B. Jordan, A. Sanborn, Charles E. Garcelon, selectmen; J. W.


Maxwell, clerk. 1871 -- Jonathan B. Jordan, A. Sanborn, Charles E. Garcelon, selectmen; J. W.


Maxwell, elerk. 1872- Jonathan B. Jordan, D. D. Golder, James G. Jordan, selectmen; J. W. Maxwell, clerk. 1873-David Webber, D. D. Golder, James G. Jordan, selectmen; J. W. Maxwell, clerk. 1874- James G. Jordan, Jonathan B. Jordan, Stetson L. Hill, selectmen; J. W. Maxwell, elerk. 1875-David Webber, William Jordan, A. Philbrook, seleetmen; J. W. Maxwell, clerk. 1876- David Webber, R. D. T. Philbrook, W. H. Wright, selectmen; J. W. Maxwell, clerk. 1877 - Jonathan B. Jordan, W. H. Wright, A. J. Larrabee, selectmen; J. W. Maxwell, clerk. 1878 - W. H. Wright, A. J. Larrabee, R. D. Y. Philbrook, selectmen; J. W. Maxwell, clerk. 1879- W. II. Wright, R. D. Y. Philbrook, C. H. Maxwell, selectinen; J. W. Maxwell, clerk. 1880 - W. H. Wright, R. D. Y. Philbrook, C. H. Maxwell, selectmen; J. W. Maxwell, clerk. 1881 - R. D. Y. Philbrook, A. J. Larrabee, Nelson Haley, selectmen; J. W. Maxwell, clerk. 1882-R. D. Y. Philbrook, James G. Jordan, Benjamin F. Dennison, selectmen; J. W. Maxwell, clerk. 1883- R. D. Y. Philbrook, James G. Jordan, Benj. F. Dennison, selectmen; J. W. Maxwell, clerk. 1884 - R. D. Y. Philbrook,


James G. Jordan, James Maxwell, selectmen; J. W. Maxwell, elerk. 1885-R. D. Y. Philbrook, James G. Jordan, James Maxwell, selectinen; J. W. Maxwell, elerk. 1886 - R. D. Y. Philbrook, James Maxwell, Benjamin P. Jordan, selectmen; J. W. Maxwell, clerk. 1887 - R. D. Y. Philbrook, James H. Jordan, Benjamin P. Jordan, selectmen; J. W. Maxwell, clerk. 1888. - Omar D. Potter, James H. Jordan, F. L. Sanborn, selectmen; J. W. Maxwell, clerk. 1889-Omar D. Potter, James H. Jordan, P. M. Spofford, selectmen; J. W. Maxwell, clerk. 1890-Omar D. Potter, P. M. Spofford, Charles Bigelow, selectmen ; J. W. Maxwell, clerk. 1891 - Omar D. Potter, P. M. Spofford, Charles Bigelow, selectmen; J. W. Maxwell, elerk.


CHAPTER XXV.


Sabattus - Saw and Grist Mills - Niles's Mills - Webster Woolen Company - Traders, ete .- Sabattus Co-operative Association -Webster Corner - Farmers-Churches-Schools.




Need help finding more records? Try our genealogical records directory which has more than 1 million sources to help you more easily locate the available records.