History of Androscoggin County, Maine, Part 80

Author: Merrill, Georgia Drew, ed
Publication date: 1891
Publisher: Boston, W.A. Fergusson & co.
Number of Pages: 1050


USA > Maine > Androscoggin County > History of Androscoggin County, Maine > Part 80


Note: The text from this book was generated using artificial intelligence so there may be some errors. The full pages can be found on Archive.org (link on the Part 1 page).


Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5 | Part 6 | Part 7 | Part 8 | Part 9 | Part 10 | Part 11 | Part 12 | Part 13 | Part 14 | Part 15 | Part 16 | Part 17 | Part 18 | Part 19 | Part 20 | Part 21 | Part 22 | Part 23 | Part 24 | Part 25 | Part 26 | Part 27 | Part 28 | Part 29 | Part 30 | Part 31 | Part 32 | Part 33 | Part 34 | Part 35 | Part 36 | Part 37 | Part 38 | Part 39 | Part 40 | Part 41 | Part 42 | Part 43 | Part 44 | Part 45 | Part 46 | Part 47 | Part 48 | Part 49 | Part 50 | Part 51 | Part 52 | Part 53 | Part 54 | Part 55 | Part 56 | Part 57 | Part 58 | Part 59 | Part 60 | Part 61 | Part 62 | Part 63 | Part 64 | Part 65 | Part 66 | Part 67 | Part 68 | Part 69 | Part 70 | Part 71 | Part 72 | Part 73 | Part 74 | Part 75 | Part 76 | Part 77 | Part 78 | Part 79 | Part 80 | Part 81 | Part 82 | Part 83 | Part 84 | Part 85 | Part 86 | Part 87 | Part 88 | Part 89 | Part 90 | Part 91 | Part 92 | Part 93 | Part 94 | Part 95 | Part 96 | Part 97 | Part 98 | Part 99 | Part 100 | Part 101 | Part 102 | Part 103 | Part 104 | Part 105 | Part 106 | Part 107 | Part 108


GROCERIES, ETC. John Dingley & Co., 86 Main street. This large estab- lishment has existed from ante-bellum days, and carries a great stock of goods, including groceries, crockery, lime, cement, etc. Dresser, Millett & Co., 40 Main street, have been in trade since 1889, succeeding A. W. Penley. C. A. Leonard, 94 Main street, succeeded to the business started by James M. Stevens (now dealing in fruits and confectionery on Court street) and Herbert A. Goss, in 1886, as Stevens & Goss. Peables &. Garcelon, 70 Main street. This firm has existed from 1865, as L. F. Chase, Chase & Peables, Peables & Penley, and, since 1882, with present name. A. M. Penley, 98 Main street, established in 1883. John A. Sawyer, 108 Main street, has an extensive market in connection with groceries, and succeeds a business established in 1868, and lately conducted by Chase & Bean and John A. Bean. Littlefield & Gove, 186 Main street, have been in trade about a year. Olfene §. Holmes, 179 Main street, have been in trade some years. T. S. Desmond, 15 South Main street ; J. P. Merrill, 64 Court street ; Knight &. Chase, 69 Court street ; A. C. Haley, 174 Court street ; F. B. Norris & Co., 54 Union street; Philoon & Brewster, 49 Hampshire street ; Isaiah Mitchell, 62 Spring street ; Solon Macomber, 203 Turner street ; Edwin T. Stevens, 211 Turner street, are also grocers. Atwood §. Lowell, 220 Court street, have a business founded in 1873 by J. Q. A. Atwood. In 1876 Winchester G. Lowell came into the firm, which took its present name. C. S. Atwood succeeded J. Q. A. Atwood in 1877. This house does a large business. J. C. Symmes, 178 Court street, was of the firm Symmes & Atwood, that founded the Old Goff Market on Main street, in 1879. He became sole owner in 1877, and has been in trade since.


HARDWARE, ETC. George B. Brooks, 10 Court street, succeeds the busi- ness established in 1860 by his father, Barker Brooks, a prominent business man, who died in 1879. Ingersoll, Whitman & Co., 64 Main street, corner of Court, have a large stock of stoves, ranges, tin-ware, crockery, glass-ware, etc., and hot-water and steam-heating apparatus, and do plumbing, and employ a large force of employés. L. W. Haskell & Co., 100 Main street, in connec- tion with stoves, ranges, etc., deal in hot-water and steam-heating apparatus, dust piping, dust separators, and exhaust fans, and are plumbers. The Good- year Shoe Machinery Co., 92 Main street, carry a full line of goods.


HARNESSES, ETC. Wood &. Walker, 152 Main street, manufacturers of harnesses and dealers in trunks, satchels, robes, etc., succeeded Lyman Wood & Son in 1876. 3 C. W. Covell & Co., 90 Main street ; N. S. Fogg, 5 Turner street.


BOOTS AND SHOES. Attwood & Barrows, 60 Court street ; W. F. Moody, 74 Main street.


WATCHES, JEWELRY, ETC. The old house (founded 1875) of A. B. Hall is located at 55 Court street ; George E. Wills, at 84 Court street ; H. E. Doten, 83 Main street.


656


HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.


BOOKS, STATIONERY, ETC. The oldest and largest firm is J. C. Haskell, 55 Court street, successor to Haskell &. Reynolds, who succeeded in 1886 to the business of Willard Small & Co., conducted since 1872. S. A. Pollister, 88 Court street, established 1888.


CIGARS, TOBACCO, ETC. J. B. Emerton, 124 Main street ; W. A. Alden, 10 Court street.


MANUFACTURING CHEMISTS, DRUGGISTS, ETC. Auburn Drug and Chemi- cal Co., 68 Court street, was incorporated in 1887 with $50,000 capital, to manufacture remedies formerly made by H. C. Packard & Co. The officers were S. F. Merrill president, N. W. Harris vice-president, H. C. Packard treasurer, W. B. Kilbourne secretary. This has grown to large proportions. The principal preparations are Pix Liquida Compound for coughs, A. D. & C. Co.'s Sarsaparilla Extract, Packard's Purity Tooth Powders, and other articles. They also carry on a large drug store and have several employés. Mr Packard is a natural chemist and pharmacist, and his 30 years' experience gives ample security that the preparations of this company are of the best. Dr John F. True §. Co. have their large laboratory and office in connection with the elegant residence of the senior member of the firm on Drummond street. Dr True's Pin Worm Elixir has been manufactured 40 years with a constantly growing reputation, and many wholesale dealers now order it. The museum connected with the office is large and uncommon, and the genial doctor takes great pleasure in showing the specimens and giving information. W. A. Robinson &. Co., corner Court and Main, founded as Robinson & Beede in 1867, Smith &. Cook, Goff Block, and B. L. Alden & Co., established in 1876, corner Broad and Main, are extensive druggists and manufacturing chemists.


DENTISTS. Dr F. B. Bigelow, 72 Main street, is a native of Livermore. He has been a manufacturing dentist for 21 years, is thoroughly conversant with his profession, does faithful, conscientious work, and has held important trusts with as much skill and ability as he manifests in his dental operations. Other dentists are I. Goddard, 72 Main street ; C. B. Payson, 76 Main street; P. R. Howe, Goff Block ; R. B. Record, 58 Court street ; H. W. Field, 65 Court street.


INSURANCE AND REAL ESTATE. N. I. Jordan & Co., Goff Block ; Verrill 1 & Hutchinson, 83 Main street; Cummings & Young, 81 Main street; C. E. Gar- celon, 57 Court street; J. B. Hunton (real estate) ; C. H. Bray, 81 Main street; G. IT. Bryant, 246 Main street ; Miller &. Owen, Goff Block; M. F. Ricker, 81 Main street.


PHOTOGRAPHERS. C. H. Cummings & Son, 68 Main street.


NURSERYMEN. Homer N. Chase & Co., 81 Main street.


1D. W. Verrill, who was collector of taxes of Auburn from 1873 to 1885, and city treasurer from 1877 to 1891, when he declined a re-election.


657


CITY OF AUBURN.


SOCIETIES, ETC. Besides those mentioned elsewhere, Auburn has these active organizations: Ruth Lodge, Daughters of Rebekah ; Enterprise, Eureka, New Auburn Lodges, Auburn Division ( Uniform Rank), Harmony (sisterhood), Knights of Pythias; Royal Conclave of Knights and Ladies; Knights of Honor ; United Order of Golden Cross ; L. of H .; United Order of Pilgrim Fathers; Auburn, Prospect, and Industry (East Auburn) Lodges of Good Templars; Star of the East, R. T. of T .; North Star lodge of New England Order of Protection.


CHAPTER XXXVIII.


Universalist Churches- Congregational Churches - Baptist Churches - Free Baptist Church - Methodist Episcopal Churches- Episcopal Church - Y. M. C. A. - Schools - Ladies' Charitable Society - Auburn Art Club - Associated Charities -Public Library.


HE UNIVERSALIST CHURCH. - A Universalist society was organ- ized February 8, 1823, by the people of Minot, Danville, and Lewiston.1 February 4, 1829, a request is recorded to a justice for a warrant to call a meeting to form a Universalist society, signed by 45 voters of Lewiston, Minot, and Danville. Article second of the constitution reads: " The immoral conduct of any member shall be laid before the society by any member of the society knowing the facts. The defendant shall have a fair trial, and for minor offenses may be admonished and forgiven, but for drunkenness, gamb- ling, profanity, or theft he shall be expelled. We will discourage the above vices as much as in us lies, and encourage religion and morality in every person." The first officers were Dan Read, moderator; John Smith, clerk; James Lowell, treasurer; Calvin Gorham, Barton Anderson, Elisha Stetson, James Lowell, and Ephraim Richardson, standing committee; Dan Read, Esq., Elisha Stetson, and Stephen H. Read, assessors. At the first meeting it was voted to raise $40 by taxation for publie preaching, and Joel Thompson, Dan Read, Esq., and Cyrus Barker were chosen delegates to the Kennebec District Convention.


The Lewiston Falls Universalist Society was organized January 14, 1836, a new constitution adopted, and the object of the society defined to be "the promotion of religion and piety, and the suppression of vice and immorality."


1 The Maine Universalist Convention had its origin in a council held June 24, 1828, in the dwelling of James Lowell in Lewiston. Eighteen clergymen were present; Rev. Wm Frost, of Dexter, was elected moderator; Rev. J. W. Hoskins, of Wiscasset, clerk. Delegates were present from 28 societies. The state was divided into four associations, and the Convention was constituted by all the Universalist ministers in the state and lay delegates elected by the associations.


658


HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.


Any person of good moral character was entitled to membership. The first standing committee was Calvin Gorham, John Smith, and Jabez Merrill. March 18, 1836, Rev. David T. Stevens1 became pastor. The meetings were held alternately on each side of the river: in Lewiston, in a brick school-house near the Free Baptist church on Main street; in Auburn, in the school-house on Turner street. The society had preaching but half the time, the other half the pastor was employed at Minot Corner, Greene, Lisbon, etc. The salary paid was $5.50 a Sabbath. The religious interest increased until the spring of 1838, when a religious revival extended to all denominations, but effected this society to a great extent. April 25, 1838, a Universalist church was organized with 22 members which soon increased to 40. Among the early members were Dan Read and wife (Mr Read may be justly considered the father of this society ), Robert Anderson and his son Barton, Dr Gorham and wife, Nathan Reynolds and wife, of Lewiston. Jabez Merrill, Capt. James Goff, Micajah Littlefield, William B. Merrill and their wives were early members. Mrs Elisha Stetson, Mrs J. Smith, and Mrs J. Goff were active Universalists; James Nash, Samuel Berry, Darius White, Nathan Briggs, Orrison Wood, and Samuel Read, of Lewiston, were strong supporters. Rev. W. R. French writes this of the early choir: " As constant as the return of Sunday they were in their places. John Smith sang with a clear, sweet voice, and never made any discord in the choir or elsewhere; Solomon P. Gorham was one of our prominent singers, and for some time a leader; Deacon Rowe was a member, and no man ever praised God more conscientiously ; Mrs Mary Salina Read's voice made melody many years; Miss Julia Goff and Mrs Olivia French sang with spirit and sweet harmony ; James Goff, Jr, played on one violin, Nathan Reynolds on another, while Marshall Ford evoked music from the bass viol."


Meeting-House. - In the spring of 1838 measures were taken to build a house of worship, and February 13, 1839, the meeting-house was completed, and nearly paid for; it was a creditable structure for the times and an orna-


1 Rer. David Thurston Stevens was born in Strong, April 17, 1809. His early life was passed in Sumner, his educational advantages were the common schools and two terms at Hebron Academy. When 17 years old he became a Universalist, and in 1832 went to Westbrook and studied under the guidance of Rev. Mr Brimblecome, a Harvard student. In a few weeks he was called upon to deliver a discourse he had written, and this was so acceptable that another was called for, and he was soon sent into the field. He returned to Oxford county and preached as an evangelist for three years. In 1836 he commenced his labors at Lewiston Falls, aud preached here and at Minot Corner and Lisbon. In 1841 feeble health precluded such constant work, and he retired from a settled pastorate and engaged in agriculture, preaching occasionally. In 1865 he went to Livermore Falls and remained several years there as pastor; then removed to Guilford for four years. He later returned to Auburn, where he is " tilling the soil." Mr Stevens has been a great religious worker, has organized churches in New Gloucester, Woodstock, West Minot, and many other places, and, although over 80 years of age, retains much of his original vigor. He married, December 3, 1834, Julia F. Churchill, of Hartford. Their surviving children are Edwin T., Julia F. (Mrs Augustine Young), Philena C. (wife of Rev. Wm A. Start, Secretary of Massachusetts Universalist Convention), Churchill S., Charles A., N. Maria, Harriet A. He married, second, Mrs Harriet N. Stevens, born in Eaton.


659


CITY OF AUBURN.


ment to the village. It stood on the site of the present High Street Methodist Church. The building committee was Samuel Berry, Stephen H. Read, and James Goff, Jr; the principal builders were Silas Bradbury, George Emerson, and Joseph Currier. On the morning of February 13, 1839, the church was dedicated to the service of the one living and true God. In the afternoon Rev. David T. Stevens was publicly installed pastor of the church and society. The sermon was by Rev. G. W. Quinby, of Turner. The first regular service was held the next Sabbath ; the text was: "It is the Lord's doing; it is marvellous in our eyes." Rev. Mr Stevens labored here faithfully and with good results, until the fall of 1841. Rev. W. R. French came in May, 1842, remained nine years, and his pastoral duties were performed with fidelity and general acceptance. Rev. I. C. Knowlton was pastor one year, and was followed by Rev. Joseph A. Bartlett, who was here a few months. Rev. Massena Goodrich was a successful laborer in this field for two years. Rev. C. H. Webster closed his three years' service in 1858. Rev. G. W. Quinby supplied for a while, and Rev. R. Blacker for a year. The society was now in a weak condition, but by the strenuous exertions and faithfulness of a few of its adherents it was strengthened and upheld, and by their efforts the church building was purchased by the society from the pew-holders. In the spring of 1860, Rev. George Bates commenced a pastorate of three years, and his influence harmonized and cemented the religious forces of this church; a reorganization was effected in 1862 under the name of the First Universalist Church of Auburn, with this profession of faith :


I. We believe in the One Living and True God, the Creator and Governor of the Universe, the Father and Friend of all spirits, infinite in every possible perfection.


II. We believe in Jesus Christ, that he is the Son of God, and the Saviour of the world. III. We believe in the Scriptures of the Old and New Testaments as containing a Revelation of the Character and Will of God and of the Duty and Destiny of Man.


IV. We believe that God has purposed the salvation of all human sonls from sin, and that all will ultimately be holy and happy.


In the spring of 1863 the Lewiston residents withdrew and established a society and erected a church building. July, 1863, Rev. J. C. Snow was called to this parish. During his pastorate the meeting-house was rebuilt and the seating capacity enlarged from 56 pews to 80 pews, a large church organ pur- chased, the vestry finished and furnished, and the church membership greatly increased. Rev. Mr Snow resigned October 1, 1869, to take charge of West- brook Seminary. The desk was supplied mostly by Rev. George Bates until July, 1870, when Rev. O. F. Van Cise, of the Canton Theological School, became pastor. He resigned April 1, 1872. July, 1872, Rev. J. C. Snow was recalled. October 10, 1873, measures were taken for the organization of the First Universalist Parish of Auburn. This parish had 111 members. In


660


HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.


November, 1874, a parish meeting was held in relation to building a new church. Ara Cushman made a proposition to donate the lot on Elm street, extending from Pleasant street to Spring street, to the parish, if they would erect a church and complete it by June 1, 1876, on that lot or on any other lot within the village proper. The parish voted to accept this generous proposition, and appointed Rev. J. C. Snow, B. F. Briggs, and Henry Willis to solicit funds for the erection of a church. B. F. Briggs, Henry Willis, O. B. Morse, Hiram C. Briggs, and I. C. Downes were chosen building committee January 4, 1875, and January 11 the parish authorized this committee to proceed to build on the Elin street lot. The corner-stone was laid June 3, 1875. A box was deposited in the tower foundation containing a copy of the faith, covenant, and constitution of the church, Rev. D. T. Stevens's historical sermon preached May, 1864, a sketch of the history of the parish, copies of various denominational papers, minutes of Maine Convention of Universalists for 1873 and 1874, copies of Lewiston Weekly and Daily Journal, Lewiston Gazette, Auburn Reformer, statistics of Lewiston and Auburn manufactures for 1872-3-4-5, fractional currency then in use of the one, two, three, and five cent coins and private scrip issued during the Civil War, a copy of the pastor's address, and the order of exercises at the laying of the corner-stone. The church was completed and dedicated March 23, 1876. The dedicatory sermon was preached by Rev. J. C. Snow. Rev. Mr Gage, of Lewiston, Rev. W. E. Gibbs, of Portland, and Rev. D. T. Stevens, among others, taking part in the exercises.


The church is cruciform in shape and of Gothic architecture, with transepts of shallow depth. The exterior is attractive, the lines of the walls broken by buttresses and gables. From the southeast corner rises a tower. The spire is graceful and is 100 feet high, containing a Meneely bell weighing 1,600 pounds. The roof is rich in gables great and small, in prodigal variety. Under the tower is a drive-way and porch. One entrance is under the tower, two are in the main front; and one to the vestry and corridors, and one to the vestry, pulpit, and choir are on the south side. The main front has a fine rose window of stained glass, and the upper part of both transept windows are also of stained glass. There are nine other windows on each side, of ground and figured white glass. The interior length of the nave is 111 feet, the extreme transverse dimensions 75 feet, width of nave 51 feet, and the acoustic prop- erties are of the best. The vestibule on the main front opens into a corridor four feet below its level, which leads to a vestry of 27 x 75 feet, library, and other rooms. Broad staircases at the ends of this vestibule lead up to the audience room vestibule, which opens by three entrances into the auditorium, which has a seating capacity of 700. Over each transept is a gallery seating 66, and over the vestibule is a gallery seating 112. The transept seats and those in the transept galleries flank the pulpit. The organ is 16.5 feet wide,


661


CITY OF AUBURN.


10.5 in width, and 22 feet high, has 4 pedal movements, 32 stops, 1,667 pipes. It is back of the pulpit and the choir is in a gallery to the right. 500,000 bricks, 125,000 feet of rough lumber, and 25,000 feet of ash lumber were used in this church edifice, which cost $45,000. The impression given by this beautiful edifice is one of restful and harmonious correspondence. It is an ornament to the city and a fitting shrine of worship.


The First Universalist Parish held their first annual meeting in the vestry of the Elm Street church, January 1, 1877. Ara Cushman was elected moderator. 1878. April 8, Rev. J. C. Snow tendered his resignation, which the parish refused to accept. 1879. November 3, Rev. Mr Snow resigned. He had great ability as a gospel preacher and was a faithful pastor. 1880. January 5, the parish extended a call to Rev. George W. Perry, which was accepted; Rev. Mr Perry remained until 1883. At this time there was a debt of $8,000 on the church building, and after a partial canvass of the parish by a soliciting committee, the trustees decided to bring the matter into the church, and on the evening of April 30, after a discourse by Rev. C. A. Hayden, $6,000 was raised. A unanimous motion was carried that Rev. Mr Hayden be invited to become pastor; it was then announced that probably his services could be secured if the whole amount could be raised, and at the close of the meeting the $8,000 was pledged. Mr Hayden became pastor and has continued until the present time. His labors have met with grand results, and the church is in a prosperous condition.


The Sunday School was organized nearly 50 years ago, with but a few members. The average attendance in 1890 was 225; the largest number present at one session was 306. There are 28 teachers and 7 officers. The membership has increased 20 per cent. in the last two years. Miss Nancy Hill has had the management of the primary classes for over 20 years. These number over 75 pupils, and have three teachers. Henry C. Packard is the superintendent of the Sunday school and has served for 11 years. Helena L. Packard is secretary and Ida Ballard treasurer. The superintendents have been Dr Albert Merrill, Nathan Briggs, Ara Cushman, Edwin Stevens, Rev. J. C. Snow, D.D., Rev. C. A. Hayden, Henry C. Packard. The library has over 1,000 volumes.


The Elm Street Reading Association has been maintained with lectures, reading, and study classes in the vestry. In connection with this a reading- room and library has been open to the public every afternoon and evening, which has been of great intellectual benefit. Abont 70 periodicals were kept on file and thousands visited it annually. It is now consolidated with Auburn Public Library.


Universalist Society at North Auburn .- For many years its place of wor- ship was on the hill, now West Auburn. It had settled ministers, good attendance at church, and a church organization. As a large part of the


662


HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.


congregation resided at North Auburn, it was deemed advisable to change the place of worship, and in 1858 a church was built in that village and dedicated in the autumn. The pulpit was supplied for a year or more, then Rev. A. Hitchins was settled, under whose ministry the society and church prospered. He was an earnest, zealous man. Revs H. Blacker and D. T. Stevens served as pastors for some time, and the society prospered. At the close of the war, Rev. Zenas Thompson was settled as pastor, and his services were enjoyed for several years. Rev. H. C. Munson, of Turner Centre, supplied this pulpit for a series of years, and acted as pastor. During all this time a flourishing Sunday school was sustained, it having been organized when the society wor- shiped on the Hill. Rev. Mr Chaffee was the last settled minister, but his labors closed after a year or two. Meanwhile, the village suffered much by removals and the burning of the shoe factory, and the consequent decline of enterprise in the place. Rev. W. R. French supplied, but prominent mem- bers died and the church was closed for a few years, and became unsuitable for use, and the society was disheartened. A successful effort was made to raise funds, and the needed repairs were completed in 1890, when public services were held, and large congregations for a small country village were in attendance. The society is now hopeful, and will make an effort to sustain public worship.


High Street Congregational Church. - This church was organized in Lewiston at the North Meeting-house (Free Baptists), February 8, 1826, as the Lew- iston Falls Congregational church, with seven members: Benjamin Moore, Benjamin Murray, Josiah Little, Priscilla Murray, Mary H. Little, Hannah Freeman, and Judith Jones, of Standish, by letter. The council met in the morning in the "old Harris house," in Lewiston, with these delegates: From Portland Second church, Rev. Edward Payson; New Gloucester, Rev. Plummer Chase and Thomas B. Little; Otisfield, Rev. Josiah G. Merrill ; Minot, Rev. Elijah Jones and Chandler Freeman ; Danville, Laban Loring; Poland, Daniel Waterman and Moses Harris; Turner, Rev. Allen Greely and Martin Bradford. Organized by choosing Rev. E. Payson, moderator; Rev. Allen Greely, scribe. Opening prayer by James P. Richardson ; sermon by Rev. E. Payson ; organizing prayer by Mr Merrill; covenant and the right- hand of fellowship to the church by Rev. P. Chase; the Lord's Supper administered by Rev. E. Payson and Rev. E. Jones. January 5, 1828, David R. Loring was admitted into the church. January 5, 1829, Edward Little and Benjamin Murray were requested to extend an invitation the second time to Rev. Calvin White to preach as a candidate for settlement over this and Danville churches. January 5, 1832, Deacon Josiah Little and Nancy Little, his wife, were received into the church by letter from Rev. Elijah Jones, pastor of the Congregational church of Minot. Miss Sarah Little, after examination, was also received into church membership. November, 1832,


663


CITY OF AUBURN.


Rev. Weston B. Adams was ordained pastor. Ecclesiastical council : From Augusta, Rev. Benjamin Tappan, Brother William A. Brooks; New Glouces- ter, Rev. Benjamin Rice, Deacon Ebenezer Collins; Turner, Rev. Allen Greely, Brother John Dresser; Brunswick, Rev. George E. Adams; Danville, Deacon Laban Loring; Pownal, Deacon Simeon Jones ; Minot, Rev. Elijah Jones, Deacon Isaac Allen. Sermon by Rev. Mr Tappan, text Nehemiah ix: 36; charge to the pastor, by Rev. Mr Thurston; right-hand of fellowship, by Rev. Mr Adams; address to the church and society, Rev. Mr Rice; concluding prayer by Rev. Mr Greely. From the organization of the church until 1832, the church attended public worship. After the settlement of Mr Adams, the missionary society contributed $200 per year for several years, to aid the church in the support of a minister, his salary being $400 per year. January 4, 1833, Deacon Laban. Loring and Mary, his wife, were received into full communion by letter from the Danville church. Josiah Little was elected deacon. The church worshiped in Lewiston and Auburn until the completion of the first church edifice in Auburn.




Need help finding more records? Try our genealogical records directory which has more than 1 million sources to help you more easily locate the available records.