USA > Maine > Androscoggin County > History of Androscoggin County, Maine > Part 69
Note: The text from this book was generated using artificial intelligence so there may be some errors. The full pages can be found on Archive.org (link on the Part 1 page).
Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5 | Part 6 | Part 7 | Part 8 | Part 9 | Part 10 | Part 11 | Part 12 | Part 13 | Part 14 | Part 15 | Part 16 | Part 17 | Part 18 | Part 19 | Part 20 | Part 21 | Part 22 | Part 23 | Part 24 | Part 25 | Part 26 | Part 27 | Part 28 | Part 29 | Part 30 | Part 31 | Part 32 | Part 33 | Part 34 | Part 35 | Part 36 | Part 37 | Part 38 | Part 39 | Part 40 | Part 41 | Part 42 | Part 43 | Part 44 | Part 45 | Part 46 | Part 47 | Part 48 | Part 49 | Part 50 | Part 51 | Part 52 | Part 53 | Part 54 | Part 55 | Part 56 | Part 57 | Part 58 | Part 59 | Part 60 | Part 61 | Part 62 | Part 63 | Part 64 | Part 65 | Part 66 | Part 67 | Part 68 | Part 69 | Part 70 | Part 71 | Part 72 | Part 73 | Part 74 | Part 75 | Part 76 | Part 77 | Part 78 | Part 79 | Part 80 | Part 81 | Part 82 | Part 83 | Part 84 | Part 85 | Part 86 | Part 87 | Part 88 | Part 89 | Part 90 | Part 91 | Part 92 | Part 93 | Part 94 | Part 95 | Part 96 | Part 97 | Part 98 | Part 99 | Part 100 | Part 101 | Part 102 | Part 103 | Part 104 | Part 105 | Part 106 | Part 107 | Part 108
At this time some of the leading members were Israel Herrick, Levi Foss, John Francis, Caleb Carver, William Gott, Simeon Gould, Barnabas Davee, George Lothrop, Thomas W. Bridgham, Benjamin Millett, Alexander Jennings, Ebenezer Stinchfield, Samuel More, James Lindsey, John Carver, Solomon Lothrop, Samuel Jennings, Levi Dunham, Levi Caswell, Lemuel Sumner, James Stinchfield. From this time we find no records until March 20, 1837, when a petition to George Lothrop, Esq., asking him to issue his warrant to Barnabas Davee, direeting him to notify the petitioners to meet at the town house, April 15, to organize the First Universalist Society of Leeds, was signed by Israel Herriek, Asa Rose, B. Millett, Jr, William P. Millett, O. J. Frost, Solomon Lothrop, Benjamin Millett, Thomas W. Bridgham, Franklin B. Leonard, Samuel More, Isaac Pratt, Eben Stinehfield, James K. Stinehfield, Isaac Boothby, John Carver, James Stinehfield, Jr, Aaron Dwinal, Barnabas Davee, Elias Lane, Robert Crumett. In 1836 the Baptist meeting-house had been jointly repaired by the Universalists and Baptists, and an agreement made whereby the Universalists were to occupy the house "the fourth Sunday in each month." The society was duly organized, a constitution adopted, Israel Herrick elected clerk, and assessors, ete., ehosen. It is most probable that the following were pew owners in the repaired church: Alexander Jennings, Aaron Dwinal, Samuel More, Solomon Lothrop two, Giddings Lane two, Eben Stinehfield, John D. Millett, Benjamin Millett, Jr, Israel Herriek, Lemuel Sumner, Ira Lamb, Isaac Pratt, Isaac Boothby, Robert Crumett.
In April, 1843, Giddings Lane, I. Herriek, S. More were elected assessors, Samuel More, John D. Millett, Isaac Boothby a committee "to see whether the agreement entered into between the society's relative to the oeeupancy of the Meeting-house is Binding." This was the commencement of a long and serious contest for the title of one-fourth of the house, culminating in a suit brought by the Baptist society against Perry Grant for malicious trespass in breaking open the meeting-house for Universalist service. From the decision of the supreme court in favor of the Baptist ownership an appeal was taken. The decision was made in 1871 in favor of the plaintiffs on the ground that under the act of incorporation of the Baptist society there could not be a legal transfer of any of its property. In 1872 an elegant Universalist meeting- house containing 52 pews was built at a cost of $5,000, and November 10, 1873, Isaiah B. Additon, Giddings Lane, Horace Herrick, B. Davee, R. Jennings, Charles S. Gordon, Lewis Churchill, H. L. Millett, Willard Lothrop,
565
TOWN OF LEEDS.
Rollin S. Loring, I. F. Jennings, L. H. Sumner, and W. B. Sumner petitioned H. M. Brewster, Esq., for a warrant enabling the "Stockholders of the Leeds Center Parish Church," to make an incorporation, which was effected Novem- ber 18, when Giddings Lane was chosen clerk. He held that office until his death, when his son, G. W. Lane, succeeded him. Rev. Otis H. Johnson, of Jay, preached every fourth Sunday from 1869 to 1879, and part of the time every other Sunday. He was succeeded by Revs. Barnes, Bosserman, White, Cutler, and Smith. The society maintains preaching through the summer, and has a well-attended Sabbath school; Willard Lothrop, superintendent.
Methodism was preached in Littleborough (Leeds), December 23, 1794, by Jesse Lee, who rode to Mr Lane's house, and at two o'clock preached to a crowded congregation, " and the melting presence of God was among us." In the evening he preached from the text, "Casting all your care upon him ; for he careth for you." Many of his hearers were affected, and he notes : "It appeared as if the whole neighborhood was about to turn to God." This town was in Readfield circuit as early as 1795 : subsequently it became a part of Monmouth circuit, and for many years was regularly visited by the preachers. A class was formed as early as 1795. In 1838 Rev. John Allen held a protracted meeting in the school-house at Quaker Ridge ; several persons were converted, and a class was formed with Salmon Brewster leader, and Mrs Salmon Brewster, Morgan Brewster and wife, Nathan Stetson and wife, Charles A. Additon, Ruby Additon, Louisa Gilmore, Huldah Gilmore, Louisa Additon, George D. Lothrop, Pamelia Bridgham, and other members. The society increased, and held meetings in the school-house until 1851, when, through the instrumentality of Rev. John Cumner, the pastor, and through the liberality of Salmon Brewster, the meeting-house was built. Leeds and Greene have been a circuit for many years, with preaching at Quaker Ridge and Keen's Corners. The society is somewhat scattered in residence. In 1884 a parsonage was purchased and fitted up. . In 1886 there were 37 members, 80 Sunday-school scholars. Church valued at $1,000; parsonage, $500. That year the society paid off the debt on the parsonage. A new union chapel, costing $1,400, at Keen's Corner, was dedicated May 5, 1891.
A Methodist class, now joined to Wayne circuit, has long existed at North Leeds. Amos Thombs was class leader many years. He was succeeded by Elisha D. Gould, whose son, Russell, now holds the office. There are sixteen members. Rev. J. R. Masterman preaches every other Sabbath in the union chapel.
The First Freewill Baptist Church was organized at North Leeds, February 11, 1829, by Elder Abiezer Bridges. The original members were Joshua Tupper, Warren Howard, Lucy Tupper, Mercy Dunham, Julia A. Stanley, Almira Turner, Martha Grant (now, June 1, 1891, aged 95), Anna Additon, Deborah Bridges, Eliza Bridges. It belonged to Bowdoin Quarterly Meeting,
566
HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.
and had its largest membership (75) in 1836. At this time a union chapel was erected, one-half owned by this society, one-fourth by the Methodists, and one- fourth by individuals of the Baptist and Campbellite (Christian) faith. Prior to 1836 the Free Baptists held their meetings in school-houses and dwellings, but from this time they had preaching every other Sabbath in the chapel. The Quarterly Meeting recognizes the church, although the membership is but eight. The deacons have been Joshua Tupper, Warren Howard, George Gould, and Francis D. Millett, who has held office 24 years.
Rev. Greenwood Gordon ministers to those of Christian faith.
The Quakers in 1807 erected a meeting-house on Quaker Ridge. They continued to hold meetings there quite a number of years, but subsequently moved their meeting-house about a mile west to their burying-ground, and a few years later moved it opposite Stephen Wellcome's. About 1869 it was sold and torn down, the society having become extinct.
Schools. - The value of education was impressed upon the children of the first settlers by their first teacher, that wise man, Thomas Francis, and the later families brought from their Massachusetts homes that reverence for learning so characteristic of the sons of the Old Bay State. 1801, April 6, at the first town meeting, $200 was voted for schools, and Joseph Day, Levi Bates, William Gilbert, John Jennings, Oliver Randell, and Obadiah Pettingill were chosen school committee. November 31, voted to accept the division of districts made by the selectmen, and that each district draw their own money. In 1802 and 1803 $300 was voted for schools. November 7, 1803, Elder Thomas Francis, Abiel Daily, and George Turner, Jr, were chosen to inspect schools and teachers. 1804, November 5, voted to divide the school money according to the number of scholars. 1804 and 1805, $300 raised for schooling. 1806, April 7, $500 voted for schools. June 9, George Lothrop, Isaac Collier, and Thomas Millett, Jr, were chosen to divide the town into school districts, and nine districts were defined. 1819, March 8, $500 was raised for schools. 1822, voted to raise $620 for schools. George Turner, Harvey Bates, Daniel Lothrop, Oliver Otis, Stillman Howard, Daniel Parcher, Robert Gould, Samuel Brown, Samuel Stinchfield, and Joseph Mitchell were chosen to revise the limits of the school districts. 1831 and 1832, voted to raise $675 for schools. 1845 and 1846, $700 voted for schools. 1848, March 7, the school committee recommended that a high school be established, and were instructed to mature [plans for] the same and report. In 1860 and for a few years after, $1,050 was raised for schools, and in 1868, 1870, and 1871 $1,200 were voted. In 1873 the town raised $400 for high schools. From this time, although the district system has been maintained, a free high school has from time to time been kept, and great attention has been paid to the other schools; good teachers as a rule have been employed, and satisfactory results have followed their teaching. In the 12 districts of the town in 1890 237 of the 343 scholars in town received
567
TOWN OF LEEDS.
instruction, and, in addition to $1,000 raised by the town, $661.40 from the state was expended. The free high school located at Leeds Center in the spring of 1890 was taught by C. F. Leadbetter. Miss Laura M. Sylvester, the supervisor, is a normal school graduate and a practical teacher of more than ordinary ability. Stephen R. Deane has done good service on the school com- mittee. He gives this graphic account of early schools :-
The acquisition of a common school education 60 years ago was often attended with difficulties of which scholars of the present age know nothing. Many districts had no school-houses. I recollect attending school for a short time in three neighboring districts where the schools were kept in winter in a room in some dwelling-house, and in summer sometimes in a shop, a corn house, and, in one instance, on the big barn floor. The district in which I lived had no school-honse till several years after I ceased to be a scholar. The district lay on two roads nearly parallel to each other and about a mile apart, and no road within its limits to connect them, so the people could never agree upon a proper site for their house to stand. The school-room was furnished with seats made of planks or slabs long enough to reach from end to end and from side to side of the room, and the desk for writing was of like material, fastened to the walls (usually on three sides of the room) so that the scholars when writing were obliged to turn their backs to the teacher and face the wall, the window, and, too often, the darkness; for windows were neither large nor plenty, one or more corners of the room being too shady for the pupil to clearly discern the plummet lines under his copy. It was thought that for a boy to be able to perform all the hard problems in Kenney's arithmetic was about all he ever need to know of mathematics. Reading, writing, and geography were to be studied, but grammar was considered too effeminate and quite nseless unless the boy aspired to become a teacher. Girls learned spelling, reading, and grammar, but arithmetic was regarded for them much as grammar was for boys. Ambitious mothers provided their daughters with a square of nice linen for the foundation of a sampler on which the letters of the alphabet, figures, her age, and other things (according to the fancy of her teacher and her skill) were to be wrought in needle work. There were but few who made teaching a business, and in general nothing beyond a common school education constituted their literary qualifications. The school fund was small and apportioned to the several districts according to the number of scholars in each.
Temperance .- The cause of temperance has been strongly upheld by the good people of Leeds. Even before the days of the Washingtonians temper- ance meetings were held, and from the formation of the first society here organizations have existed. The Good Templars have two lodges at this writing, Stony Brook at North Leeds and Sparkling Diamond at Leeds Junction.
First Mills and Other Industries, Merchants, etc .- John JJennings built the first saw-mill, a small affair, about 1790, at West Leeds, for the use of himself and his three sons near him, but accommodated his other neighbors also. This was located near where Zachary Cary afterwards built a fulling mill. The second saw-mill was built in 1804 by Thomas Mitchell and Elias and Peter Lane. Andrew Cushman, who married Bathsheba Jennings in 1789, and settled in Leeds, built the first grist-mill, in 1814, on the privilege at West
568
HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.
Leeds now occupied by R. E. Swain. In 1817 he built a saw-mill on the same power. At his death in 1844, Daniel Hinkley became proprietor, and built a new mill. Stillman and Seth Howard later owned this property. Orrin B. Taylor was the next owner; he was succeeded in turn by E. E. Wheeler, Rodolphus Jennings, and R. E. Swain. Mr Swain has a manufactory of box boards and dowels, employing several hands, on this privilege. Eben Mason built the second grist-mill in town in 1816 on this same stream, deriving his power from an overshot wheel, 16 feet in diameter. Like all the early mills, this had a short existence. This Eben Mason was the first blacksmith. His shop was at the corner where Dr Loring lives. Oliver P. Frost had a black- smith shop very early at West Leeds, and Charles Bates one on Quaker Ridge. From his family Bates hill takes its name. Robert Crumett was the early blacksmith at the Center. Stephen Welcome and Cyrus Sampson had "asheries," where they made potash. The trades of tanning and shoemaking were early combined. Samuel More, who served in the navy in the War of 1812 and was made prisoner, came to Leeds in 1814, put up a small tannery at Leeds Center, and was the town's first tanner. He continued to tan leather and make shoes until 1849. He died in 1881. James and Ira Lamb and Seth Cary were also tanners.
Merchants. - The earliest were the Indian traders, Thomas and Roger Stinchfield. Some of the wealthier early settlers kept large stocks of necessities for their own use and frequently accommodated their neighbors by sales or barter. The first traders, as we now use the term, were Stephen Welcome in the southwest part, William Turner in the south part (notices for town meeting were posted on his store in 1832), Cyrus Sampson at South Leeds, and Solomon Lothrop. Later Stephen Day (1839) and Joshua Lane (at the Dr Loring corner) had good stores. Solomon Lothrop, established at Leeds Center in 1820, was in trade many years. Noah Sturtevant, from Winthrop, succeeded him in trade until his store was burned. Mr Lothrop rebuilt the store and again engaged in trade. He sold to Barnabas Davee, who also conducted a furniture shop for some years. About 1820 Simeon Foss was in trade on the southeast corner at Leeds Center, and Nathan Randall near the town house. After Davee one Fogg traded for a short time, and then the store was idle. After a while S. & S. L. Lothrop put in a stock of goods, and later sold to Thaddeus F. More in 1846, Josiah Day succeeding him in 1847. The railroad contractors kept a store from 1849 to 1853. G. G. More, son of Samuel, was in trade in 1861. After him came Cyrus B. Lane, succeeded by Charles Lane, who was in business in 1872. Wallace L. Francis has occupied this stand for the last four years, carries a large general stock of goods, does a prosperous business, and is postmaster. Gustavus W. Lane established himself at the Center in 1883 as a dealer in groceries, flour, grain, feed, etc. In connection with his mercantile business, in 1889 he erected a steam grist-mill
569
TOWN OF LEEDS.
at the station, to grind 200 bushels of corn daily. This has increased from a business of $5,000 annually to $50,000. He is also station and express agent. Thomas C. Foss has been in trade and wool buying at North Leeds since 1850. H. M. Brewster is in trade at Curtis's Corner, and Brewster, Burgess & Co. have a steam mill, and manufacture lumber and boxes. C. H. Foster is a trader at West Leeds. Among the representative farmers are Peter Lane, T. H. Boothby, D. F. Lothrop, William B. Sumner, Henry G. Mitchell, the Additons, Seth Howard, A. J. Foss, Willard Lothrop, Cyrus B. Lane, Henry Francis, George Parcher, F. D. Millett.
Physicians. - Abial Daily is said to have been the first physician. Among his successors have been Dr Thomas W. Bridgham, Dr Lord, and Dr R. S. Loring, who resides near the Center.
H. F. Webb & Co .- This firm puts up canned goods. The business originated with Willard Lothrop in 1885. He canvassed the town for farmers who would agree to plant sweet corn for a canning factory, and, securing a sufficient number, Joseph Berry began the business the same year. In 1886 H. F. Webb & Co. came and have conducted a profitable enterprise to them- selves and the people. They pay three cents for 26 ounces of corn and put up 175,000 cans of corn yearly, besides other vegetables.
Leeds Dairying Association .- This originated with the canvass by Mr Lothrop for the introduction of a canning factory. He found that quite a number were ready to support a cheese factory, and a stock company with $1,500 capital was organized the same year (1885) with Willard Lothrop, D. F. Lothrop, J. F. Jennings, C. H. Lovejoy, John Woodman, directors, and G. W. Lane, treasurer. They built a factory at Leeds Center, employed a cheese maker, and went into operation in June. It has succeeded even beyond the expectation of its originators, and has declared annual dividends of from five to twelve per cent. Most of the product is sold in Lewiston. The directors in 1891 are D. F. Lothrop, B. Turner, T. H. Boothby ; C. H. Lane is clerk; G. W. Lane, treasurer.
The town was early noted for its attention to agricultural improvement. Rev. Paul Coffin in 1796 was a guest of William Gilbert, and speaks of his crops thus: "This man raises annually about five hundred bushels of bread stuff and fourteen hundred weight of flax, etc. His hay and bread stuff will this year exceed two tons of hay, and more, by the acre on upland." It is said to have been the first of the Androscoggin valley towns to hold a town fair or "show," and the display was "magnificent," all the people exerting themselves to make each annual exhibition a success. These fairs were discontinued many years since, but since 1885, and with the creation of the Grange, renewed attention is given to them. Leeds has been almost exclusively an agricultural town, and from the rugged culture of its fields have been brought up strong, capable men, who, succeeding to the worth of a brave and
570
HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.
gallant ancestry, have, at home and elsewhere, done honor to their parent town, and reflected credit on the family names. Many have served with distinction in the military service of the country, many have adorned the walks of professional life, while those who have remained on the old homesteads possess the same qualities and carry into all departments of life the same ability, integrity, and marked sense of honor, possessed by their pioneer ancestry and the Massachusetts families from whom they descend.
The Lane Family is one of the oldest in town. Daniel Lane, the pioneer, was originally from Gloucester, Essex county, Mass. This county has ever been noted for the intelligence of its inhabitants, the first settlers having been mostly descendants of noble English families. In 1782, Daniel Lane, with wife, Mary, and family, came from New Gloucester. He had served in the Revolution, been taken by the British, and kept two years in Dartmoor prison. His children were: Daniel, who married, first, Eunice Verrill, and had Joshua, Daniel, Eunice, Nancy, Lois, and Mary ; second, Ruth Pratt, and had Eliphalet G., Olive, Lorinda; James, married Abigail Leadbetter; children, Phebe, Joanna, John, Abigail, Asenath, Eliza, Hannah, Alden, Columbus, James ; Giddings, married Jemima Norris; children, Polly, Alpheus, Lydia, Jemima, Dorcas, Fanny, Giddings, Samuel, Susannah, Esther, Calvin, and Nancy ; Elias, married Mary Lawrence, and located in 1790 on the lot where his grandson, D. F. Lothrop, resides; children, Elizabeth, David, Warren, Alvin ; Peter, married, first, Lois Verrill; children, Eliphalet, Issachar, David, Jesse, Judith, Lois; second, Grace Turner; children, Semyntha, Peter, Joanna, Eunice, Benjamin F., Charles, Harriet ; Samuel, married, first, Judith Verrill; second, Sarah Nye; children, Henry K., Samuel, Harriet; Mary, married Stephen Rowe, of Danville ; Judith, married Captain Daniel Jones; they had nine children; Lydia married Nathaniel Norcross, of Hallowell. The sons of Daniel' settled west of Androscoggin pond, except one who settled near the center of the town.
Peter Lane was born at Leeds, September 7, 1816. He was son of Peter of New Gloucester, and Grace (Turner) Lane (a daughter of William and Joanna Turner, who came from Bridgewater, Mass., to Littleborough in 1787). Peter Lane married, first, Lucretia P., daughter of Hon. Stillman Howard, of Leeds; second, Mary J., daughter of James Palmer, of Cornville. Mr Lane was in business in Portland for 33 years. Since 1872 he has conducted his farm of 200 acres on Chapel hill. He makes a specialty of butter-making. In his herd of 50 choice cattle in 1890, 40 were fine Jersey and grade cows. Mr Lane is a Republican ; in religious preferences a Universalist.
The Jennings Family were early residents of Sandwich, Mass., and probably descend from Sir William Jennings, of England. John and Ruhama Jennings had one son, Samuel, who was town clerk 25 years. His sons were Samuel and John. John removed to Wayne in 1780 with a large family. His sons,
571
TOWN OF LEEDS.
Samuel and John, came to Leeds about 1784, cleared farms, and made homes, near the Androscoggin. Samuel married Olive Tupper. His sons were Samuel and Perez S., who was born in Leeds. Perez S. married Joanna, daughter of James Lanc. Their children were Orville, who became U. S. district attorney in Arkansas; Gessius F., a prominent citizen of Farmington ; Roscoe G., a physician, professor of clinical surgery and dermatology in and sceretary of Arkansas Industrial University; Rolliu F .; Gustavus A., occupied the old homestead; Eliza A., married Isaiah B. Additon. John, brother of Samuel, married Sarah Morton. Children : Alexander ; John ; Sarah; Betsey ; Franklin N .: Phebe W .; Robert ; Deborah C .; Esther M .; Columbus, an excellent farmer on Riverside farm; and Sturges N.
The Lothrop Family, of Leeds, descends from Mark Lothrop,1 who came to Salem, Mass., about 1643, and in 1656 was one of the proprietors of Bridge- water; in 1657 took the "Oath of Fidelitie," in 1658 was elected constable, and for 25 years held a high place in affairs, dying in 1685. His sons were Samuel and Mark. Samuel 3 lived in Bridgewater. His son, Daniel,+ born in West Bridgewater, May 2, 1721, married Rhoda Willis, and was a major in Col Crafts's regiment at Dorchester Heights, when Washington took command of the army. Major Lothrop was also one of the original members of the First Baptist church of Bridgewater. In 1790 he rode on horseback from Bridgewater to Littleborough to visit his son, Daniel, Jr,5 and was well pleased with the locality and remained until his death in 1818. Col Daniel Lothrop, Jr, was born in Bridgewater, Mass., in 1745, and in 1785 came to Leeds with a large family. He had been an officer in the Revolution, was an able man, and one of the first selectmen. He married, first, Hannah Howard; second, Lydia Willis; third, Mary Turner, in 1785. His children were George, Daniel, Thomas, Hannah, Samuel, Sullivan, Lydia, Polly, Rhoda, and Alson. He died in 1837. His many descendants have proved themselves worthy of their name and their ancestry. George,6 born in Bridgewater, 1765, married Polly Thayer. He eventually located in Leeds, where he died in 1839. His children attaining maturity were: Solomon; Leavitt; Hannah, married George Gould; Jeremiah; Polly, married Reuel Foss, who moved to Auburn about 1866, where they died.
Solomon Lothrop, son of George and Polly (Thayer) Lothrop, was born in Bridgewater, February 26, 1788, and coming to Leeds, he married, July 15, 1810, Sarah W., daughter of Daniel and Sally (Whiting) Lothrop. He was the first postmaster of the Center, and for many years was active as a business man. Lothrop's Corner through his energy became a prominent center. He acquired wealth, became owner of a large acreage, filled numerous offices, and was active in social and religious circles. His home was where Willard Lothrop lives, and was purchased from Dr Abiel Daily. Among his children were : Solomon L., born June 10, 1817, married April 20, 1840, Hannah
572
HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.
Turner, who survives him. Betsey, born December 13, 1813, married Lewis Turner, and has three children: Ermina J. (Mrs E. D. Hamilton), Emma C. (Mrs James Norris), Frances A. (Mrs Turner now lives in Middleboro, Mass.) Willard, the youngest son, was born June 18, 1828, and married, January 10, 1860, Emma, daughter of Rev. Samuel and Sarah (Leadbetter) Boothby. Children : Susie E. (Mrs G. W. Lane), Frank B., Sarah C. Mr Lothrop has contributed much to the advancement of the town by securing the establish- ment of various industries. He is especially interested in the Universalist church and is superintendent of its Sabbath school.
Need help finding more records? Try our genealogical records directory which has more than 1 million sources to help you more easily locate the available records.