History of Androscoggin County, Maine, Part 98

Author: Merrill, Georgia Drew, ed
Publication date: 1891
Publisher: Boston, W.A. Fergusson & co.
Number of Pages: 1050


USA > Maine > Androscoggin County > History of Androscoggin County, Maine > Part 98


Note: The text from this book was generated using artificial intelligence so there may be some errors. The full pages can be found on Archive.org (link on the Part 1 page).


Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5 | Part 6 | Part 7 | Part 8 | Part 9 | Part 10 | Part 11 | Part 12 | Part 13 | Part 14 | Part 15 | Part 16 | Part 17 | Part 18 | Part 19 | Part 20 | Part 21 | Part 22 | Part 23 | Part 24 | Part 25 | Part 26 | Part 27 | Part 28 | Part 29 | Part 30 | Part 31 | Part 32 | Part 33 | Part 34 | Part 35 | Part 36 | Part 37 | Part 38 | Part 39 | Part 40 | Part 41 | Part 42 | Part 43 | Part 44 | Part 45 | Part 46 | Part 47 | Part 48 | Part 49 | Part 50 | Part 51 | Part 52 | Part 53 | Part 54 | Part 55 | Part 56 | Part 57 | Part 58 | Part 59 | Part 60 | Part 61 | Part 62 | Part 63 | Part 64 | Part 65 | Part 66 | Part 67 | Part 68 | Part 69 | Part 70 | Part 71 | Part 72 | Part 73 | Part 74 | Part 75 | Part 76 | Part 77 | Part 78 | Part 79 | Part 80 | Part 81 | Part 82 | Part 83 | Part 84 | Part 85 | Part 86 | Part 87 | Part 88 | Part 89 | Part 90 | Part 91 | Part 92 | Part 93 | Part 94 | Part 95 | Part 96 | Part 97 | Part 98 | Part 99 | Part 100 | Part 101 | Part 102 | Part 103 | Part 104 | Part 105 | Part 106 | Part 107 | Part 108


796


HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.


CHAPTER XLVIII.


Prominent Early and Other Settlers-Congregational Church - First Free Baptist Church- Quakers-Methodist Episcopal Church - Baptist Church -Universalists - Tem- perance-Centennial - Growth and Prosperity - Hotels, Traders, Etc.


P ROMINENT EARLY AND OTHER SETTLERS. - Major Charles Gerrish was born in Berwick, in 1718, and was the first settler of Royalsborough. He married Mary Frost. Their children were Lieut William, Charles, Nathaniel, George, James, and Mary. Mary m. Abner Harris, and settled in Lewiston. Lieut William m. Esther Parker, in 1767. Children: Nathaniel, Betsey, Richard, Benjamin, Jane, James, Sarah, Molly, and William. Charles, Jr, m. Phobe Blethen, in 1770. Children : Huldah, Betsey, Jeremiah, Mary, Charles, William, Margaret, and Sally. Nathaniel m. Sarah Marriner, in 1777. Children: George, Hannah, Joseph M., Loruhamah, Sarah, Abigail, Thirza, Moses, and Nathaniel. George, born in Royalsborough, June 16, 1753, died May 23, 1814, was a farmer and settled on the Major Charles homestead. He m. Mary Mitchell, of Freeport, December 20, 1781. Children: Susannah; James, who settled near the Major Charles homestead; John m. Joanna West, of Freeport, and settled on the old homestead; Charles and Mary.


In 1775 Elijah Douglas, of Middleborough, Mass., removed from Harpswell Neck to Royalsborough and settled on the John Plummer farm ; he also owned much land. He united with the Friends, at Falmouth, in 1754. He died in 1814, aged 94. His son, Joseph, m. Mary McFall. In 1781 he bought of Stephen Chase 100 acres of wild land in Royalsborough, for £213 6s. 18d, and built his log honse. This farm was owned in 1873 by Albert Booker. Cornelius Douglas took a deed of land in 1776. He came from Harpswell and built the fifth house (of logs) in town. He died June 20, 1821. His son, Joshua, born September 8, 1794, was for many years an earnest minister of the Friends' Society. Joshua m. Jane Adams, June 11, 1818, and purchased the Andrew Adams homestead near Plummer's mill, where he resided until 1835, when he bought a farm of 100 acres of Caleb Jones. He died January 21, 1881. Children : Joseph, Eliza Jane, George, John, Charles, Joshua Lufkin, and William Henry. Joshua Lufkin Douglas, born in Durham, now of Bath, married Helen L. Harvey. He moved to Bath in 1863, where he has been in trade many years. He is a Republican in politics. He is a member of the M. E. Church, was appointed class leader in 1864; is a steward, and has served as trustee of the church for several years. He has been secretary of Solar Lodge, F. & A. M., of Bath, for 18 years. He is much interested in


797


TOWN OF DURHAM.


historical research, is a member of Maine Historical Society, and compiled and published "The Douglas Genealogy," issued in 1890.


Ebenezer Newell, the first town clerk, settled on the rise of ground near the junction of the Freeport and Brunswick roads. Three generations of Ebenezers lived here. William (born in 1772), son of Ebenezer 1 and Katherine (Richards) Newell, and brother of Samuel Newell, the missionary, married Anna Hoyt, and came from Newton, Mass., about 1802. He settled where George Rich lives, between Southwest Bend and West Durham. Among their children were John, William, Anna, David, Harrict. David became a clergy- man, had a large family of children, and recently died in South Windham. His son, William B., now residing in Durham, is the father of Hon. William H. Newell, mayor of Lewiston. Samuel Newell, the missionary, was graduated from Harvard in 1807, and was one of the band of first missionaries to India, embracing Judson, Nott, and Mills. William Newell was often in positions of trust and was much esteemed. He died January 2, 1881, aged 81. To enlist in the Union army he dyed his hair and beard, was accepted, and became a noted nurse in the hospitals. He held many offices, and in the militia held every office from ensign to general.


Captain Joshua Strout and wife Betsey (Cobb) Strout were natives of Cape Elizabeth, and came to Royalsborough before 1771. Of their children were Sarah, m. Nathaniel Gerrish; Barnabas; Betsey, m. John Dow ; Jonathan, m. Sarah Vining, was a sea-captain for 50 years; Mary, m. Isaac Lambert; Tam- erson, m. Abel Curtis; Abigail, m. Thomas Lambert; Dorothy, m. Simeon Blethen ; Ebenezer K .; Joshua, and James. David B., son of Jonathan and Sarah (Vining) Strout, married Jane B. Lufkin, and died in 1890. He was a resident of Auburn over 30 years. He was a strong temperance man and a Universalist, and for many years conducted a large Bible class at the Auburn church and did much Sunday-school work in the rural districts of that city.


Among the families here previous to 1800 were those of Lient Win Gerrish, Christopher Tracy, Ebenezer Newell, Joseph York, David Dyer, Abel True, John MeIntosh, John Stackpole, Aaron Osgood, Stephen Wesson, Pelatiah Warren, Capt. Samuel Nichols, John Lincoln, Benjamin Roberts, Matthew Duran, Nathaniel Osgood, Edward Woodbery, Simeon Sanborn, John Randall, Capt. William McGray, James Hebberd, John Vining, Ebenezer Bragdon, David Coffin, Isaac Turner, James Wilson, William Hoyt, Stephen Randall, Edward Fifield, Enoch Newell, Joshua Miller, Samuel True, John Cushing, Jr, Henry Farr, Jr, Dr John Converse, Benjamin Osgood. Reuben Dyer, John Dow, Benjamin Vining, Josiah Burnham (a justice of the peace, and executed many deeds), Ezekiel Williams, Jacob Sawyer, Bachelder Ring, Hugh Getchell, Wm Mitchell, Capt. Isaac Davis, Dr Symonds Baker, Capt. O. Israel Bagley, Francis Harmon, Ezekiel Jones, Samuel, Joel, Joshna, Moses, Phineas, Richard, and Robert Mitchell, Joseph Sawyer, Robert Hunnewell, Wm Wilson, Wm Phillips, Jonathan and Daniel True, John Coffin, Elisha Douglas, Enoch Davis, James Parker, Daniel Harmon, Michael Davis, Job Sylvester, David Gross, Andrew Adams, John Larrabee, Wm Webster, Joseph Knight, Thomas Proctor, James Blethen,


798


HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.


John Skinner, Wm Newell, Harris and Harvey Garcelon, Isaac Lambert, Edward and James Estes (Quakers), Jonathan Beal, Joseph Parker, George Williams, Solomon Tracy, Waitstill Webber.


Robert Plummer, born in Cape Elizabeth, March 1, 1761, and his wife, Zilpah Farr, born in Easton, November 3, 1768, were married August 29, 1786, and settled in Royalsborough. They had 10 children - William, Lucy, John, Abigail, Zilpah, Henry, Moses, James, John, and Dolly; all have passed away. Henry and the younger John settled in Durham. Henry was a shoemaker by trade, carried on his farm, and owned the Plummer Mills. It was largely through his influence and means that the brick meeting-house was built. He died in 1875 in his eightieth year. His sons settled in Lisbon and have been engaged in milling. George, Edward, and Charles have been members of the legislature. Edward is agent of the Androscoggin Water-Power Company and George is postmaster at Lisbon Falls.


Martin Rourk came to America from Ireland in 1773, when 13 years old. He served through the war, and in 1783 came to North Yarmouth with his commander, Captain Lawrence. In 1788 he married the captain's sister, Elizabeth, and moved to Royalsborough as the first schoolmaster. In 1791 he was elected town clerk, and served until his death in 1807. His son William married Mercy Davis. Their son, Hon. William D. Roak, was born on the farm where he now resides. He married Ann S. Wagg, of Durham. Their children are Cyrus A., Algernon M., Millbury F., and R. Belle. Mr Roak is a Congregationalist and a Republican. He has held many official positions. He has been selectman, assessor, and overseer of the poor for five years, and for three years was chairman of the board of selectmen, and has served as town clerk, agent, auditor, and has been a member of the school committee nine years, county commissioner six years, representative two years, and state senator four years. In public and in private life he has been honest, fearless, and conscientious, and his official duties have been performed carefully and thoroughly.


ECCLESIASTICAL. - Congregationalism. - In 1775 Jonathan Bagley, in behalf of himself and the proprietors, notified the inhabitants of Royalsborough to meet and agree upon some place for building a house for public worship. In 1789 a committee was chosen to provide to finish the house, etc. 1790, April 5, voted to employ Rev. Abraham Cummings to preach to the amount of £18 this year. 1792, voted to hire Mr Chapman for a year. 1795, raised £30 for preaching. 1796, called Rev. Jacob Herrick, salary to be £80, settlement of £50, and 100 acres of land (ministerial land). Mr Herrick was ordained in March, 1796, and a small congregation gathered. May 9, voted not to pay Capt. Bagley £35 for entertaining the council at the ordination. 1809, April 9, the inhabitants of the North Parish in Durham voted to sell the overplus pews in the meeting-house to the highest bidder, at public auction. The pur-


799


TOWN OF DURHAM.


chasers were : Barnabas Strout, pew No. 17, $81; Josiah Burnham, No. 18, $82; Job Sylvester, No. 15, $80 ; John Converse, doctor, No. 16, $80; Francis Harmon, No. 14, $80; George Williams, No. 13, $81; Dr Symond Baker, No. 53, $39; Secomb Jordan, No. 64, $47; Rev. Jacob Herrick, No. 30, $53; Joseph Osgood, No. 31, $51; Matthew Duran, No. 69, $42; Elijah Macomber, No. 42, $46; William Newell, No. 54, $47; Capt. Jonathan Strout, No. 11, $72; Gideon Curtis, No. 12, $72; Nehemiah Hooper, No. 7, $65; Capt. Jona- than Stront, No. 8, $66; George Gerrish, Jr, No. 38, $51; Samuel Merrill, No. 72, 842; Dr Symond Baker, No. 34, $51; James Hubbard, No. 37, $44; Benjamin Osgood, No. 33, $46 ; Isaac Randall was awarded the contract for completing the outside work for the sum of $566, and the inside work for $570. Francis Harmon was given the job of building the porch to the new meeting-house for the sum of $174. Capt. Thomas Chase was to complete the building, which was not finished until about 1805, and was afterward called the Centre meeting-house. It was located on the Freeport road about one-half mile from the village. This church was abandoned for religious services and went to ruin 40 years ago. Rev. Jacob Herrick preached here nearly 40 years. He was tall, erect, and a noble-looking man; and an earnest, ener- getic preacher, as devout as he was persevering, and much beloved by all. The Union church, on the hill near the Bend, was built about 1835 (after the old church was abandoned) by the Congregationalists, Methodists, and Bap- tists, and was used alternately by them. A Congregational church was built in the south part of the town, in the Stetson neighborhood, about 30 years ago. It was taken down and removed to South West Bend and is still in use. The following Congregational clergymen have performed ministerial labor since the close of Mr Herrick's pastorate : James Elliot, from November, 1845, to November, 1848; Jonas Fiske, from May 20, 1849, to September 12, 1852; Wm V. Jordan, from November 1, 1854, to November, 1855 ; John S. C. Abbott, from 1856 to 1857; Henry S. Loring, from January 1, 1857, to 1859; W. H. Haskell, from September 12, 1862, to 1869; Albert Bushnell, 1871; Chas W. Hill, 1872, 1873; Prof. Jotham Sewell, of Brunswick, 1874, 1875; Prof. Richard Stanley, of Lewiston, 1876, 1877, 1878; Richard Wickett, 1879-1885; Geo. W. Gould, of Lisbon, 1885, 1886, 1887; R. L. Sheafe, of Bangor, 1888; Prof. Thos L. Angell, 1889-1890. The church membership is 26. The Sabbath school is usually attended by from 35 to 50 pupils.


The First Free Baptist Church of Durham was organized in 1781, being the eleventh church in the denomination. It was organized, probably, by Elder Benjamin Randall, for we find in that year he visited all of the churches and found them "in a very encouraging condition and walking in gospel order and union." This church, as all of the early churches, had its seasons of pros- perity and adversity. Very little is known of its history until 1829, when it was reorganized by Rev. George Lamb, of Brunswick, with these members,


800


HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.


who have all passed away: Elijah Littlefield, Daniel Gould, Henry Plummer, Christopher Tracy, Abram Metcalf, John Robinson, John Blethen, Mary Getchell, Margaret Tracy, Jane Gould, Lovina Tracy, Elizabeth Tracy. Soon after the church was reorganized, quite a large addition was made to its membership. For several years there was only occasional preaching from outside. Christopher Tracy and Henry Plummer were licensed to improve their gift, and the meetings were kept up without a settled minister until 1840. During this year there was a great revival and the church membership was largely increased. For the next 15 years the church enjoyed great prosperity. The meetings were held in three different school-houses, but these soon became too small to accommodate the people, and the question of a new meeting-house was agitated. A plan of a house was decided upon and Mr Henry Plummer, who had a deep interest in the progress and growth of this denomination, made the offer that if they would raise $450 he would be responsible for the rest. The amount was raised, and Mr Plummer built the house in 1845, the cost being over $1,000. The building was dedicated November 20, 1845. After the church lost its visibility, Mr Plummer purchased the house and had it thoroughly repaired, and it is in good condition to-day.


Quakers. - Among the first Friends were Samuel Jones, Joseph and Caleb Estes, Andrew Pinkham, and Elijah Douglass. Soon after, Samuel Weare, Robert Goddard, and Silas Goddard, moved from Falmouth. They held their first meeting in the house of Joseph Estes. The house was known as the "Old Hawkes House." They built a one-story meeting-house. A two-story addition was made in 1800, and in 1828 the whole was burned. The meetings were then held in the Old Hawkes House till the brick church was built. May 5, 1783, the plantation voted "Not to sett of the quakers to have school by themselves but to have the advantages of the Town School. 1785, voted that those people called frends ar sat of from Paen any School money to the Plantation this year." Among the first ministers were Samuel Jones and Joseph Douglas, who was a powerful preacher in the society, and devoted much of his time and energy to the cause of Christ. He died December 22, 1821. Nathan Douglas5 (John,1 Elijah,2 Joseph,3 David,4) was born in Durham, January 18, 1812, and at the age of 22 commenced the work of the ministry at the Friends' meeting-house in Durham, and has since been the principal minister of that faith in town. His labors have been faithful, with satisfactory results. He has visited nearly every yearly meeting of Friends on this continent. His sermons are plain and direct, and he is beloved and respected by all who know him. In 1873 the society had about 180 members and five ministers. The meetings were largely attended by those of other denon- inations. Membership in 1890, 257. Charles W. Webber is the clerk. The church buildings are valued at about $2,000.


801


TOWN OF DURHAM.


Methodist Episcopal Church. - Durham was at first part of Bowdoinham circuit, which was formed in 1803, True Glidden preacher in charge, and upon invitation preached at the house of his uncle, Deacon William True, of Durham. Previously Asa Heath had visited and preached in Durham ; also James Lewis, of Gorham, a local preacher. In August, 1804, a quarterly meeting was held here, which resulted in a revival and 100 persons were converted and received into the M. E. Church. (Timothy Merritt supplied the place of the presiding elder, Joshua Taylor. This meeting. Sabbath day, was held in a grove, not far from the site of the present church building. Mr Merritt preached from Amos 7:ii; an exhortation was made by David Dudley, and prayer by James Lewis.) Among these were: George Ferguson, William Jones, John Tyler, Daniel Harwood, Abel True, Samuel True, John Hatch, Richard Doane, Jacob Randall, and their wives; also Deacon Daniel Harmon and wife; Deacon William True and wife joined the Methodists at this time, and many of the prominent families became followers of this faith, and the place of the revival has since been known as "Methodist Corner." In 1806 Durham circuit was made a separate charge, including Durham, Pownal, Danville, Lisbon, and Litchfield, Durham Class, July 12, 1809: David Dudley, Eleanor Dudley, Richard Doane, Mary Doane, Edward Doane, Sarah Doane, Lemuel Roberts, Nabby Roberts, Thomas Roberts, Submit Roberts, Susanna Roberts, Daniel Roberts, Enoch Davis, Sally Davis, Mariam Brown, Reuben Roberts, Luther Plummer, Hannah Plummer. By some peculiar friendship or favor the General Court of Massachusetts deviated from its usual custom and granted an act of incorporation to this society in 1810, and a Methodist house of worship was built near Methodist Corner. (This house was remodelled and improved in 1867, and rededicated in February, 1868.) In 1814 the New England Conference held its session here, Bishop McKendree presiding. Since 1849 Durham has been a separate charge or circuit. There are a goodly number of Methodists in town and the services are well sustained. This denomination has ever been zealous in good works and among its ministry are numbered several natives of the town. Rev. Allen H. Cobb, a Methodist preacher, a native of Barnstable, Mass., came to Durham in 1818 and was a valuable citizen. He died in 1856. He was a man of ability and left his impress upon the people.


A Baptist Church was organized August 8, 1838, with these persons: Isaac Lambert, James Wagg, Jeremiah Dingley, Joel Moss, William Dingley, Isaac Lambert, Jr, Mary Lambert, Eliza Macomber, Isabel Jones, Dorothy Blethen, Hannah Richerson, Harriet Lambert, Julian Blethen, Betsey Bowe, Mary Mitchell, Lucy Lambert, Maria Dingley, Abigail Blethen, Sally Moss, Mary Barstow, Jael Farrow, Marian Downer. The introductory prayer was made by Brother Atkins, of the M. E. Church. The sermon was by Rev. E. R. Warren, and the right-hand of fellowship was given by Rev. R. C. Starr. An address


802


HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.


was made by Brother Owen, and the organizing prayer was offered by Rev. Noah Hooper. Isaac Lambert was chosen and ordained deacon. The same month, the church was admitted to the Baptist Association at North Yarmouth. Rev. Noah Hooper was the first preacher. In 1839 two members were admitted by baptism, and in 1840 14 were received. In 1841 there were 41 members, and Rev. Mr Hooper became pastor for two years. In 1843 Rev. Moses Hanscom was called and remained 15 years, and his faithful labors added many members to the church. In 1851 there were 50 members and the church was at the height of its prosperity. From that time it has steadily declined. Its most earnest and energetic members either have died or left to join other churches. Rev. Mr Tucker, who succeeded Mr Hanscom, "labored hard," as an old member of the church puts it, "but with poor success." Since he left,


the church has been unable to support preaching, and about five years ago was dropped from the Baptist Association. Only six scattered members remain, and the only vestige of the past prosperity of the church is the fine church building, which is owned in common with the Methodists. The last deacons were Isaac Lambert, A. Marston, William Dingley, and E. Titcomb. The Sabbath school had at one time 60 members, Deacon William Dingley being superintendent.


The Universalist Church .- A small church building was erected by the Universalists at the Bend, about 1840. Some years prior to this, persons of this belief had occasional preaching at the old school-house below the Bend. Rev. Leander Hussey was first settled and preached two years ; Rev. L. P. Rand, three years ; Rev. Mr Knowlton, from 1845 to 1850. He was a promi- nent worker in the temperance cause. Many of the members moved away from the place and preaching was not sustained. The building was burned and never rebuilt.


Temperance .- The temperance question was agitated very early. Among the itinerant Methodist preachers of Auld Lang Syne was James Weston, a small man, scholarly and of fair ability. He was very zealous in advocating temperance, and, as at that time rum was sold in nearly all of the stores, he preached an able sermon on the subject, and a pledge was drawn up for circulation and signers. In April, 1849, during the pastorate of Rev. Mr Knowlton, a Universalist clergyman, and an earnest worker in this cause, there was an exten- sive temperance revival and a very successful brotherhood of temperance workers was organized, called Temperance Watchmen, with the motto, "Tem- perance, Humanity and Progress." This was the parent society of many in Maine and did good work for over a decade, and sowed good seed which has borne fruit. There are now two flourishing societies of Good Templars here - Minnehaha and Crystal Rock lodges.


Durham's Centennial. - August 22, 1889, was celebrated the one hundredth birthday of the town, on the fair grounds. There was a morning parade of


803


TOWN OF DURHAM.


fantastics and a procession, then the literary exercises, followed by a dinner at 12 M. At 2 P.M. about 1,500 people were ready to look at the races. Then followed music, addresses, etc. The address of welcome was by Rev. E. L. Warren ; prayer, Rev. John Cobb ; song, " Home, Sweet Home," by Mrs. Ada Cary Sturgis ; address by Hon. Nelson Dingley, Jr; responses : "The People of Durham," Dr D. B. Strout; "The First Proprietor, Col Isaac Royall," Z. K. Harmon, Esq .; "Progress in Temperance," Rev. I. C. Knowl- ton ; "Music in Durham," Dr T. M. Warren ; music, chorus; poem by Elizabeth Converse Durgin ; music by the Durham Band ; address by Hon. William P. Frye; responses: "The Farmers of Durham," Hon. William D. Roak ; "The Mechanics," Lewis D. Robinson ; "The Clergy," Rev. George Plummer ; "The Teachers," W. H. Newell, Esq .; "The Medical Profession," Dr C. E. Williams ; "Missionaries of Durham," Rev. W. S. Hascall. The exercises were concluded by singing " America."


Durham was at the height of its prosperity 50 years ago; the tide of business seemed to flow towards the town, and many thought the little town would be a large city. The four stores at South West Bend did more business than those of Lewiston and Auburn combined. Even a milliner's shop was taken from Auburn to locate at the Bend. As a manufacturing town it ranked with the leading ones in the state. Saw and grist mills were on every stream. A steam saw-mill, a tannery, a chair factory, a ship-yard, and fulling mills kept up a hum of industry and employed numerous workmen. All about were signs of prosperity and growth; but the advent of the railroad changed entirely the flow of the business stream which formerly ran down the Androscoggin from the northern towns; the commerce from Vermont, New Hampshire, and other places was diverted into different channels, and Durham is now a purely agricultural town, with a population of 1,111, and a valuation of $378,240. Many of her sons and daughters have achieved honor and renown, and rank high as statesmen, theologians, singers, and scholars.


Hotels and Traders. - A house to accommodate the traveling public was kept by a Mrs Proctor. This inn was located on the banks of the Andros- coggin river, about one mile north of the Bend. In 1829, Joshua Miller, a native of Durham, moved to South West Bend and opened a tavern on the site of the Durham House, of which Abner Merrill is landlord. In 1834, in company with Reuben Higgins, he bought out the Dingley's store, and was in trade there about six years, when the partnership was dissolved. Mr Miller then retired from trade and resided on a farm until his death. Mr and Mrs Miller were very generous hearted people, and in their house the wayfarer found the comforts of a home. There was a public house kept for a few years at Methodist Corner by Mr Hoyt. At one time (between 1820 and 1848) there were four large stores at the Bend - Horace Corbett's, (James) Strout & (Rufus) Jordan's, Ivory Warren's, John Higgins's. Barnabas Strout traded


804


HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.


at the Bend, and kept a hotel where Wesley Day now lives. Emery S. Warren, the present trader in the Strout & Jordan store, has been in business fifty years. John Randall had a small store very early at Methodist Corner (West Durham), and later there were two stores there. Now R. A. Rich conducts trade here. Jonathan Merrill traded in the store R. M. Strout now occupies, and in a preceding generation A. Merrill "traded and put up folks " also at the Bend. G. W. Keirstead and the Grange Store are now in trade at the Bend. A store at South Durham has been conducted by the Lunt family for years, the firm being. A. F. Lunt & Co. It is now A. F. & A. Lunt. There are many prosperous farmers in town. Among them are Everett L. Macomber, who resides about a mile from South West Bend village, and F. A. Harding, at West Durham.




Need help finding more records? Try our genealogical records directory which has more than 1 million sources to help you more easily locate the available records.