History of Androscoggin County, Maine, Part 82

Author: Merrill, Georgia Drew, ed
Publication date: 1891
Publisher: Boston, W.A. Fergusson & co.
Number of Pages: 1050


USA > Maine > Androscoggin County > History of Androscoggin County, Maine > Part 82


Note: The text from this book was generated using artificial intelligence so there may be some errors. The full pages can be found on Archive.org (link on the Part 1 page).


Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5 | Part 6 | Part 7 | Part 8 | Part 9 | Part 10 | Part 11 | Part 12 | Part 13 | Part 14 | Part 15 | Part 16 | Part 17 | Part 18 | Part 19 | Part 20 | Part 21 | Part 22 | Part 23 | Part 24 | Part 25 | Part 26 | Part 27 | Part 28 | Part 29 | Part 30 | Part 31 | Part 32 | Part 33 | Part 34 | Part 35 | Part 36 | Part 37 | Part 38 | Part 39 | Part 40 | Part 41 | Part 42 | Part 43 | Part 44 | Part 45 | Part 46 | Part 47 | Part 48 | Part 49 | Part 50 | Part 51 | Part 52 | Part 53 | Part 54 | Part 55 | Part 56 | Part 57 | Part 58 | Part 59 | Part 60 | Part 61 | Part 62 | Part 63 | Part 64 | Part 65 | Part 66 | Part 67 | Part 68 | Part 69 | Part 70 | Part 71 | Part 72 | Part 73 | Part 74 | Part 75 | Part 76 | Part 77 | Part 78 | Part 79 | Part 80 | Part 81 | Part 82 | Part 83 | Part 84 | Part 85 | Part 86 | Part 87 | Part 88 | Part 89 | Part 90 | Part 91 | Part 92 | Part 93 | Part 94 | Part 95 | Part 96 | Part 97 | Part 98 | Part 99 | Part 100 | Part 101 | Part 102 | Part 103 | Part 104 | Part 105 | Part 106 | Part 107 | Part 108


Methodist Episcopal Church .- Prior to 1845 Rev. Thomas Greenhalgh, a man of great natural ability and spiritual fervor, preached a few times at Lewiston Falls while he was pastor of the Poland circuit. [See page 363.] In 1846 W. L. Davis, who married Ann, daughter of Rev. Mr Greenhalgh, moved to Lewiston and became leader of the first permanent class. Besides himself and wife the members were: Stephen Blethen, George W. and Thomas J. Foss, William and Ursula Coleman, Charles L. Oliver, William Staples, Hannah Furbish, Mary Herrick. Mr Davis soon came to Auburn and the class-meeting followed him, convening at his house. Among the prominent early members were : " Mother Foss," W. L. Davis and wife, David Leavitt and wife, Reuben Ingalls and wife, John Stimpson and wife, Charles Kyle, John Covell, Samuel Hicks, and others. Auburn became a separate charge in 1861, with Rev: Joseph L. Morse, pastor. The class then had 30 members, and meetings were held in the old Congregational church. Rev. John Collins was the next pastor, and, in 1863, Rev. Parker Jaques was appointed. He was a very interesting preacher. During his pastorate the society worshiped in Auburn Hall. In 1864 Rev. John C. Perry was pastor. He was a good preacher and pastor. Part of the time of his stay Armory Ilall was the place of meeting, but during his pastorate a church was completed on Hampshire street. Rev. C. F. Allen preached the dedication sermon. Other denominations built more elegant churches in more favorable locations, and took higher positions in the community. Some prominent families joined other societies, and this little church, though blessed with a succession of able pastors and frequent revivals, was for many years a feeder of other churches. The pastors from 1864 were: 1865, R. J. Ayer; 1866, C. C. Cone; 1867, W. N. Richardson; 1868-9, D. B. Randall; 1870, David Church; 1871, J. R. Day ; 1872, F. Grovenor; 1873, E. Martin ; 1874, Z. H. Zimmerman, first, and later, G. D. Lindsay, who was continued in 1875-6-7; 1878, J. F. Hutchings ; 1879-80, W. S. Jones; 1881-82,


672


HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.


Thomas Tyrie ; 1883, I. G. Sprague, Stephen Allen, D.D .; 1884-5-6, G. D. Lindsay; 1887-8-9, A. S. Ladd; 1 1890, II. Hewitt; 1891, F. C. Rogers.


During the pastorate of D. B. Randall a vestry was built and other improvements made. A double house was built on the church lot; one for parsonage, the other for rent. During Mr Martin's stay the church was greatly encouraged. Mr Lindsay's first pastorate proved a great blessing. His executive ability and pastoral efficiency brought the society up to a good degree of prosperity, and quite a large number were converted. Mr Jones did good service. While he was here the church debt was nearly cancelled. Rev. Thomas Tyrie was an able preacher and extremely popular, but he supposed that it was only a question of time when the long struggle would end by the withdrawal of Methodism from this territory, and advised members to join other churches. Some took his advice, but a small number did not so interpret the leading of Providence, and when Mr Sprague took charge, with indomitable courage, mighty faith, and great zeal, the little band gathered around him. He bought an excellent church site on High street, and began to plan for a new edifice. B. F. Teague, Mark Morse, and George P. Martin were made a building committee. Mr Sprague's courage, zeal, and ardent piety won the admiration of the community, and many gave practical sympathy and substantial aid. The old church property was sold, and Mr Sprague gave half his salary to the new building, but in the midst of his labors he was prostrated by hemorrhage of the lungs. This was a heavy blow to the society. However, Rev. Stephen Allen, D.D., was sent as supply. He was a careful and prudent business man, and his management in this crucial year was admirable. At the solicitation of the society, Rev. G. D. Lindsay was again appointed, and the church was completed, and dedicated by Bishop Foster, October 27, 1884. J. W. Hamilton, D.D., of Boston, also preached, and managed the financial work with characteristic skill. It was a day of great rejoicing for Auburn Methodists.


The church, valued at $18,000, is of Gothic architecture, with the pews and inside finish of hard wood. It is finely frescoed, upholstered, and supplied with a good pipe organ. The auditorium is one of the most beautiful in the country, with a seating capacity of 600. There are two memorial windows; one for Mother Foss, the other for Mrs Hill. The other windows are stained glass of artistic desigu. There is a large vestry, two small ones, and a kitchen. During Mr Lindsay's pastorate the debt was reduced to $3,000, and the membership


1 Rev. A. S. Ladd was born in Phillips, June 17, 1835. In addition to district-school education he received private instruction in Latin, Greek, etc. He became a Methodist when but 18, and in 1860 joined Maine Conference. Among his pastorates have been, East Wilton and Temple, Strong, New Sharon, Kent's Hill, Waterville, Biddeford (twice), Bath (twice), Portland, Lewiston, Bangor, Auburn, and Gardiner. He is an efficient preacher, a faithful pastor, a prominent platform speaker, and a popular temperance leeturer. He has been a trustee of Maine Wesleyan Seminary for several years, and twice a member of the General Conference. Colby University gave him the honorary degree of A.M.


673


CITY OF AUBURN.


increased. In Mr Ladd's first year the finest parsonage in the Conference was built adjoining the church. B. F. Teague, Hillman Smith, and G. P. Martin were its building committee. The style is a modified Queen Anne, and the property is valued at $4,000. The "house-warming " occurred May 10, 1888. The Ladies' Circle has tastefully furnished it. This church is now one of the most desirable appointments of the Conference. Its membership is 200, and it has a flourishing Sunday school of 175 attendants, under the superintendence of C. W. Hill. Connected with the society is an organization of King's Daughters, and a chapter of the Epworth League, both organized during Mr Ladd's pastorate.


North Auburn Methodist Church.1- North Auburn, previous to 1854, had no stated preaching of the gospel. Occasionally the pastors of the Congrega- tionalist and Universalist churches at West Auburn preached in the school- house in the village. The people who attended church went to West Auburn. The Christian people of the place made the religions and moral situation a subject of earnest prayer, and kept up the agitation for the stated ministrations of the Gospel until June, 1855, when Rev. Gideon Perkins, a Free Baptist clergyman, of Lewiston, was engaged to preach in the school-house one-half of the time for six months. A Sunday school was organized, with Thomas J. Bonney for superintendent, and a union class was formed which met weekly at the house of Mr Bonney for social worship. Late in the autumn Rev. Ezekiel Martin, of North Turner, a Methodist local preacher, was invited to come and minister to this people. He preached one-half of the time until the spring of 1856, at which time he was admitted to the Maine Conference, and appointed to this germ of a church. He organized a church under the discipline of the M. E. church, consisting of five members: Beniah Niles and wife Samantha, Lysander Ricker and wife Caroline, and Mrs Mary Bailey. Mr Martin was very successful in his work and greatly strengthened and encouraged the church, proving himself the right man in the right place. In the spring of 1857 Rev. W. A. Steward was appointed preacher in charge; an extensive revival prevailed during that year and many were added to the church. He was re-appointed for 1858 and in addition to his pastoral work superintended the erection of the present church edifice, which was dedicated December 9, 1858, Rev. George Webber, D.D., preaching the sermon. Kins- man Atkinson was appointed for 1859. Through his efforts a nice organ was purchased, which is still in use. The society has been favored with constant preaching and pastoral service by these ministers: S. V. Gerry, 1860; D. B. Holt, 1861, 1862, 1863; E. K. Colby, 1864, 1865; G. W. Ballou, 1866, 1867, 1868; W. Strout, 1869; T. Hillman, 1870; T. J. True, 1871, 1872; D. Perry, 1873; A. Hatch, 1874; I. G. Sprague, 1875, 1876; F. Grovenor, 1877; L. B. Green, 1878, 1879; John Gibson, 1880, 1881; W. B. Bartlett, 1882; J.


1 By E. P. Crafts.


674


HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.


Moulton, 1883, 1884, 1885; W. F. Berry, 1886, 1887; G. G. Powers, 1888, 1889; F. W. Snell, 1890. Extensive revivals prevailed under the pastorates of Ballou, Sprague, and Grovenor. In 1878 between 30 and 40 members were dismissed and were organized into the M. E. Church of Turner. The society suffered a heavy loss in membership by the removal of the shoe business to Auburn. Beniah Niles, S. B. Skillings, E. P. Crafts, O. W. Bailey, S. Curtis, T. B. Verrill, and S. Hicks have served as class-leaders. The Sunday school has been a constant and increasing help in maintaining the means of grace. Daniel Coffin, J. E. Ashe, D. H. Meserve, B. H. Howard, R. B. Howe, and E. P. Crafts have served as superintendents.


Church of the Heavenly Rest (Episcopal). - This parish was organized June 19, 1890, with Charles Bartlett as warden; William Crawshaw, treasurer; Albert Duckworth, clerk. The parish hall was commenced in October, 1890, and used for service on the following Christmas day. The building is 28 by 60 feet, 13 feet posts, has a seating capacity of 200, and cost about $2,000. The lot is sufficiently large for a church and chapel, and is one of the pleasantest located church lots in the city. There are now, February, 1891, about 100 communicants connected with the parish, and this society will undoubtedly have a prosperous future.


The Auburn Young Men's Christian Association was organized April 12, 1867, in the vestry of the High Street Congregational Church, with Frank L. Dingley, president ; N. I. Jordan, H. G. Garcelon, Charles W. Hill, A. K. P. Jordan, vice-presidents ; John S. Adams, secretary : J. W. Beede, cor. secretary ; Frank Bartlett, treasurer; Reuel Hanscom, D. W. Wiggin, R. M. Jordan, Joseph Littlefield, W. L. Davis, Samuel Hicks, A. M. Pulsifer, John Pickard, directors ; John Stinson, W. H. Moore, Geo. E. Strout, Moses Hanscom, I. A. Smith, P. M. Woodman, John Given, A. H. Trufant, R. F. Foss, J. R. Learned, John F. Cobb, Bennett Fuller, standing committee. May 27, a room was dedicated in Phoenix Block, and, in the fall, the association opened a library of 1,000 volumes, and in 1873 had increased to 2,000. In 1877 the association erected a $22,000 building. The last $10,000 of this was paid in 1890. It occupies on the second floor a parlor and prayer-room ; reading-room ; a library of 2,000 volumes; gymnasium; bath-rooms, etc. Social and educational work is pursued in receptions, training class, practical talks, etc. In the religious department two meetings are sustained, at 9.30 A.M. and at 4 P.M. The average daily attendance at the reading-room is 75. The officers of the association in 1890 were: John F. Cobb, president : H. P. Dorman, vice-president; J. W. Stetson, recording secretary ; H. C. Day, treasurer ; A. W. Barnard, physical director ; H. M. Piper, assistant secretary and librarian ;. J. R. Learned, Geo. P. Martin, J. W. Stetson, H. P. Dorman, H. M. Packard, C. T. Nevens, L. G. Lord, Ernest Rowe, C. W. Hill, J. F. Bowie, W. A. Robinson, A. K. P. Jordan, H. C. Day, A. W. Moulton, Geo. H. Brown, T. A. Huston, F. A. Haskell, Wm


675


CITY OF AUBURN.


Hayes, I. N. Haskell, John Pickard, directors. The presidents have been Frank L. Dingley, Dr Jackson, P. M. Jordan, R. W. Hanscom, Charles Hill, J. R. Learned, A. K. P. Jordan, J. B. Jordan, Geo. P. Martin, John Pickard, Andrew Cummings, Geo. H. Brown, William Hayes, William Robinson, Frank Haskell, B. S. Rideout, John F. Cobb; the general secretaries, F. W. Ober, Edward Duryee, T. P. Day, H. C. Wilson, A. W. Barnard, E. T. Garland, 1891. Schools .- The children of the settlers received most of their schooling prior to 1826 in district and private schools. Orra Raynes (Mrs J. D. Davis), one of the first of the public school teachers, still lives (1891) in Auburn at an advanced age. In 1826 the old red school-house, which stood until 1854, was built, near the old " clay bank " on Turner street, and served also as a church building until 1848. Robert Martin, Joseph, Sarah, and Mary Frye, and Charles and Harriet Chase were among the earliest teachers here. In 1834 the Lewiston Falls Academy was incorporated. [See Danville.] In 1843 15 school districts were established by Enoch Littlefield and Thomas B. Little. In 1852 a brick school-house was built in the rear of the academy. It con- tained two school-rooms, one 362 by 332 feet, the other 18 by 222 feet, and cost $2,000. In 1856 Auburn schools had 1,207 scholars, and those of Danville 695. In 1867 there were these districts: Littlefield Mills, West Auburn, Haskell, Dinsmore, Dillingham, Plains, East Auburn, Emerson, North Auburn, Briggs, Woodman, Bradbury, and Gowell. District No. 9, known as the Village district, contained 782 of the 1,348 scholars in the town, and had primary and intermediate schools on Spring and Academy streets, and a primary school at the armory, besides the school in what had been until 1866 the Perryville district. Danville had 12 school districts; 33 teachers were employed in Auburn and 17 in Danville during the year. The school com- mittee of Auburn was J. W. Beede and M. D. Chaplin ; of Danville, J. W. Peables, S. P. Rounds, and M. Woodbury.


By the city charter of Auburn, granted in 1868, "all the power and authority now vested in the several school districts are vested in the city council." Charles K. Packard, Harrison O. Whitman, Addison Small, Frank L. Dingley, Nahum Morrill, J. W. Beede, Enos T. Luce, John F. Cobb, Isaac Rounds, and Liberty H. Hutchinson were elected a school committee. $10,000 was appropriated for schools and $1,800 for repairs on school-houses. School- houses were built on Pine street for the primary department, at North Auburn for the grammar and primary, and in Woodman's, Danville Corner, and Dan- ville Junction districts. In 1871 school-houses were built in the Plains, Dillingham Hill, and Plummer districts, and in two districts formed by the consolidation of the Littlefield and Verrill and the Walker and Brick school- house districts. In 1874 a brick school-house -- the Webster school building - was erected on the corner of Spring and School streets, at an expense of $18,000. In 1877 the city council provided free text-books. In 1882 a school


676


HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.


was established in North Perryville, and a school-house was built at Young's Corner. The handsome new building on Merrill Hill was finished and dedi- cated in 1890. There are now 32 schools: Webster Grammar, Lincoln Gram- mar, Webster Primary, Franklin Primary, Washburn Primary, Chamberlain Primary, Douglas Primary, North and West Auburn Grammar, West Auburn Primary, North Auburn Primary, Dillingham Hill, Plains, East Auburn, Per- kins's Ridge, Young's Corner, Mount Auburn Avenue, Woodman, Gowell, Stevens's Mills, Haskell's Corner, Littlefield, Marston's, Hotel Road, Danville Junction, Danville Corner, Eveleth, Plummer, Jordan, Crockett, Penley's, and Rowe's. 58 teachers were employed in 1889, and the total attendance was 1,801. The total value of school property in 1890 was $79,000; high school building and park, $30,000; grammar school building and lot, $25,000; other city school buildings, $13,000; rural school buildings, $11,000. During the school year 1890-91 $4,615.98 was expended for the high school, and $21,725.05 for schools. 88 pupils were graduated from the grammar schools in June, 1891- Webster 52, Lincoln 11, North and West Auburn 5, East Auburn 6, rural grammar schools 14.


The superintendents of schools have been: A. M. Jackson, 1870 and 1871; Addison Small, 1875; G. T. Fletcher, 1883 and 1884; F. E. Burnette, 1885. From 1886 to 1889, Prof. W. W. Stetson was superintendent of city schools, and Nathaniel H. Woodbury of rural schools. In 1890 the last-mentioned office was abolished, and Professor Stetson assumed charge of all schools. When no superintendent's name appears in the above list, the duties were performed by the school committee. In the schools of Auburn an especial love of country is quickened by a study of the lives of famous Americans on the anniversaries of their birth, by the flags above the schools, and by the contribution of flowers to deck the soldiers' graves and participation in the memorial exercises on Decoration Day. In other places flags have been given to schools by friends or patriotic organizations, but Webster Grammar School was the first school in the United States to raise a flag paid for by the scholars. In the year ending March 1, 1891, the pupils of Douglas, North Auburn Grammar, East Anburn Village, West Auburn Primary, and Mt Auburn Avenue schools purchased handsome flags, and Franklin, Merrill, Chamberlain, Washburn, and Lincoln schools were presented flags by societies and indi- viduals. With such schools, bearing such rich fruit of intelligent patriotism, Auburn need have no fear of her future.


EDWARD LITTLE HIGH SCHOOL. For the generous conditions and history of the transfer of Edward Little Institute to the city, see Danville. These conditions were accepted January 31, 1874, and the transfer was soon effected. In November, 1883, the building was burned and the high school was main- tained in Auburn Hall until the present elegant edifice was completed in 1885. The building is one of the finest school buildings in the state. It is constructed


ETEP


ƁOWARD LITTLE


HIGH SCHOOL


LITTLE


EDWARD LITTLE HIGH SCHOOL.


677


CITY OF AUBURN.


of brick with granite trimmings, three stories and basement, 60 x 90 feet, with a semi-circular wing supporting the tower. The first floor contains assembly, recitation, and dressing rooms, and office; the second, recitation and apparatus rooms, laboratory, and library of over 1,000 volumes. The principals have been : George E. Gay, 1874 and 1875; Charles E. Fish, 1876, 1877, 1878, and part of 1879; John A. Morrill, spring term of 1879; J. W. V. Rich, 1879, 1880; George C. Purinton, 1881 and 1882; Dr D. O. S. Lowell, 1883; Charles H. Clark, 1884 and 1885; Prof. John F. Moody, 1886, 1887, 1888, 1889, 1890, 1891. The present faculty (April, 1891,) is: Prof. John F. Moody, principal ; Charles A. Washburn, 1st assistant; Laura E. McIntire, 2d assistant; Helen Beede, 3d assistant; and Lulu H. Hutchins, 4th assistant. Professor Moody was born in Kingfield, Me. He fitted for college at Hebron Academy, and attended Colby University. Although his enlistment in the army prevented his completing his course, he has received degrees from Bowdoin and Colby. He has been a teacher since he was 14 years old and has taught over 100 terms of school. He was principal of Yarmouth Academy two years, of Hebron Academy seven years, and of Bridgton Academy nine, coming to Auburn in 1886. Professor Moody is a thorough, careful, accurate student, and strives to cultivate in his pupils his own habits of patient and diligent study. His schools have been uniformly successful, and the men and women who have graduated from them have pleasant memories of their old instructor.


The Ladies' Charitable Society was organized about 1875, to relieve the worthy poor. The organization was kept up by a faithful few, and, Novem- ber 8, 1886, as an outgrowth of . this body, "The Auburn Home for Aged Women" was formed as a corporation. The officers then chosen were: Ara Cushman, president; Mrs Mary Bates Stevens, Mrs F. L. Dingley, vice- presidents; James Dingley, treasurer; Dr J. W. Beede, secretary and treasurer of the board of managers. This board was composed of Mrs F. M. Richards, Mrs A. Stinson, Mrs Abbie C. Libby, Mrs Julia W. Cushman, Mrs Sarah A. Hersey, Mrs Susan French, Mrs Mary F. Hill, Mrs George Jones, Mrs Esther C. Alden, Mrs B. H. Preble, Mrs Harriet C. Pulsifer, Dr B. F. Sturgis.


The Auburn Art Club was organized March, 1880. Its original membership was twelve. Mrs Caroline W. D. Rich was its first president. It is a ladies' club for the study of art in the broad sense of the word. The membership is now fifty, to which number it is strictly limited. The club looks forward to possessing a building of its own.


The Associated Charities of Auburn was incorporated November 25, 1889, with these corporators : J. W. Beede, Samuel F. Merrill, William Hayes, Ara Cushman, John N. Foster, Mrs A. C. Libby, Mrs D. O. Richards, Mrs Rhoda A. Pratt, Mrs Harriet C. Pulsifer, Mrs Louisa A. Wagg, and Nathan W. Harris, and was organized to relieve the worthy poor by securing harmonious and intelligent action by the different charities of Auburn; to prevent begging


678


HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.


and imposture ; to encourage self-dependence and industry through friendly advice and sympathy ; to prevent children from growing up paupers ; to aid in the diffusion of knowledge on subjects connected with the relief of the poor. It is doing a noble work.


Auburn Public Library .- Auburn is indebted for the public library, which was recently added to its educational institutions, to the energy and progres- sive spirit of her Board of Trade. In an interview published in the local newspaper and at a meeting of the Board the claims of a public library were presented for the consideration of the citizens of Auburn by Prof. W. W. Stetson. The discussion of this matter bore fruit at a meeting of that organization held July 1, 1890, when W. W. Stetson, Thomas E. Calvert, Henry W. Oakes, H. W. Merrill, and Charles E. Wing were appointed a com- mittee on public library. October 10 the committee submitted an exhaustive report, recommending the appointment of a committee to effect an incorpora- tion, and to raise the funds to equip and maintain a "working" public library. There were 51 corporators (ladies and gentlemen), and the organization was effected October 27, when the name " Auburn Public Library Association" was adopted. Ara Cushman was chosen president, but resigned, and S. F. Merrill was elected; George H. Brown, C. S. Yeaton, vice-presidents ; Nathan W. Harris, treasurer; J. W. Mitchell, clerk ; and W. W. Stetson, John A. Morrill, A. M. Pulsifer, George P. Martin, S. F. Merrill, J. W. Beede, trustees. By-laws were adopted, providing that any person might become a life member, entitled to a vote at all meetings, and eligible to any office, and to the use of the library for himself and family, on payment of $25, or of #15 and $1 per year; or a member for one year for $3, or be entitled to the use of the library for one year for $1; and that any person donating $500 might name an alcove in the library. Committees were appointed to secure the necessary funds by subscription. Mrs Angela Smith Whitman, already well known by her liberal endowment of the Old Ladies' Home, was the first contributor, requesting that her $500 should be expended upon books on reform and social science. $500 donations were also made by Ara Cushman, Samuel F. Merrill, W. W. Stetson, Frank L. Dingley, Burnside Post, G. A. R., Auburn W. C. T. U., Auburn Art Club, and Charles L. Cushman, Murray B. Watson, George E. Davis, and II. W. Merrill, jointly. Mr and Mrs Charles Clark contributed $200, and each of the following subscribed $100: Dr J. W. Beede, Jonas Edwards, Oscar Holway, George P. Martin, L. Linn Small, B. F. & F. H. Briggs, H. G. Foss, and Mrs W. W. Stetson. The Franklin Company donated a lot valued at $5,000, which, with the cash subscriptions, brought the assets nearly to $13,000. About 450 different persons showed their interest in this worthy cause by joining the association and subscribing for its endowment and support. When the canvass was completed a committee of the trustees was appointed to prepare lists of books for the library, which was located over


679


CITY OF AUBURN.


the banking-rooms of Auburn Trust Company on Court street. The system of cataloguing used is the Dewey system, Miss Annie Prescott, the librarian, having made that a study. The library opened to the public Angust 11, 1891. The report of the committee, which formed the basis of the action of the asso- ciation, recommended that the funds should be used to equip a working library with the best books of reference and standard works in every branch of literature. Fiction and light literature are represented by the best writers, but especial attention has been given to science, history, belles-lettres, biography, juvenile works, and social science. An accomplished scholar and librarian of large experience says of the Auburn Public Library, that it would be impossible to find a more useful or more carefully selected one of its size (about 3,500 volumes) in the country. A free reading-room, supplied with leading mag- azines and newspapers is connected with the library.




Need help finding more records? Try our genealogical records directory which has more than 1 million sources to help you more easily locate the available records.