History of Androscoggin County, Maine, Part 89

Author: Merrill, Georgia Drew, ed
Publication date: 1891
Publisher: Boston, W.A. Fergusson & co.
Number of Pages: 1050


USA > Maine > Androscoggin County > History of Androscoggin County, Maine > Part 89


Note: The text from this book was generated using artificial intelligence so there may be some errors. The full pages can be found on Archive.org (link on the Part 1 page).


Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5 | Part 6 | Part 7 | Part 8 | Part 9 | Part 10 | Part 11 | Part 12 | Part 13 | Part 14 | Part 15 | Part 16 | Part 17 | Part 18 | Part 19 | Part 20 | Part 21 | Part 22 | Part 23 | Part 24 | Part 25 | Part 26 | Part 27 | Part 28 | Part 29 | Part 30 | Part 31 | Part 32 | Part 33 | Part 34 | Part 35 | Part 36 | Part 37 | Part 38 | Part 39 | Part 40 | Part 41 | Part 42 | Part 43 | Part 44 | Part 45 | Part 46 | Part 47 | Part 48 | Part 49 | Part 50 | Part 51 | Part 52 | Part 53 | Part 54 | Part 55 | Part 56 | Part 57 | Part 58 | Part 59 | Part 60 | Part 61 | Part 62 | Part 63 | Part 64 | Part 65 | Part 66 | Part 67 | Part 68 | Part 69 | Part 70 | Part 71 | Part 72 | Part 73 | Part 74 | Part 75 | Part 76 | Part 77 | Part 78 | Part 79 | Part 80 | Part 81 | Part 82 | Part 83 | Part 84 | Part 85 | Part 86 | Part 87 | Part 88 | Part 89 | Part 90 | Part 91 | Part 92 | Part 93 | Part 94 | Part 95 | Part 96 | Part 97 | Part 98 | Part 99 | Part 100 | Part 101 | Part 102 | Part 103 | Part 104 | Part 105 | Part 106 | Part 107 | Part 108


727


TOWN OF POLAND.


the proprietors in consideration of his being the first white male child born in their township. He died in Auburn, November 4, 1861. Hon. Stephen Emery, was son of Moses Emery, and the first native of the town to receive a liberal education. He filled many positions with ability, was state attorney- general in 1839, and died in Auburn, November 18, 1863, aged 73. Daniel Lane was an early settler. During the seventies and eighties there were many new- comers; among them we find the names of Bray, Willcome, Safford, Hawkes, Bucknam, Dwinal, Shaw, Vareal (Verrill), etc. The first settler on Ricker hill was John Wooster, who built the first dwelling-house in 1779. About 1782 Philemon Parsons, Samuel Jordan, John Rowe, John Mathews, Josiah Holmes, Eliphas Ring, Barnebas Briggs, Ephraim Briggs, William Berry, Daniel Parsons, Nathaniel Maxwell, James Merrill, and Benjamin Chipman resided here. The last five were near Raymond. In 1793 Jabez Ricker, then residing at Alfred, Me, exchanged lands with the Poland Shakers, and with his sons, Samuel, Wentworth, and Joseph, moved to the Range. Joseph Ricker was the first blacksmith in the town, and Wentworth Ricker opened the first public house, in 1797, now the Mansion House at South Poland. [For settlers in 1783 see page 720.] Between 1768 and 1795, Josiah Dunn 1 (died about 1825, aged 93), David Pulsifer and sons, Captain Davis, John Rollins, Captain Farrington, Henry Bray, Benjamin Coombs, and a Mr Woodward made settlements in East Poland, cleared farms, erected buildings, and this section became one of the most fertile and productive in the town. David Pulsifer came with his wife, Hannah, and family in 1790, and made his home on Elmwood farm, owned by James S. Sanborn since 1886. David Pulsifer, son of Jonathan Pulsifer, was born in Essex, Mass., about 1730. His children were: Jonathan, Ephraim, David, Samuel, Solomon, Sally (Mrs Dunn), Hannah (Mrs Knowlton). All settled in Poland; their descendants are respected citizens. David and Hannah Pulsifer lived over a century. Hon. John R. Pulsifer, who occupied the home- stead until his death, was the largest farmer and one of the prominent men of the


1 Hon. Josiah Dunn, his son, was born September 8, 1779, and died February 3, 1843. As his father was disabled, the care of the family fell upon him from the age of 14. He married before he was of age, and in a few years was a farmer, lumberman, real estate dealer, and a man of great activity. He sometimes would cut down the trees and make a wagon load of shingles in a day. In 1804 he erected a saw-mill on Worthley Brook, and later built a saw-mill and a fulling and carding mill at Minot Corner. He purchased this privilege in 1820. He was representative in 1803, and was most of the time in that office until 1820; he was deputy-sheriff, and seven years high sheriff of Cumberland county; representative to the Maine legislature many years; senator for some terms, and was one of the Executive Council of Gov. Parris. He married Sally, daughter of " Father " Barns. Children: Mary S. m. Dr Moses R. Pulsifer, Reuben B., Josiah, Elvira m. Rev. Alvan Dinsmore, Thomas B., Rachel m. Horatio G. Bridgham, Joseph E. F., Martha m. 1st a Willard, 2d Amasa Crafts, Rosina, Sebastian S., Sally B., Lucy A. m. Rev. N. C. Clifford. Charles Wesley Dunn, son of James and Ruth H. (Stront) Dunn, was born in Poland. He married Sarah Amelia Pendexter, of New Hampshire. [For Pendexter family, see History of Carroll County, N. H.] Mr Dunn has been a prosperous farmer for 25 years. His farm, " Pleasant View," is beautifully situated at East Poland. He is a Republican in politics, a Methodist in his religious preferences, and is a member of the U. O. G. C. Mr Dunn furnished a three-years' substitute for the Union Army in the Civil War.


728


HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.


town. D. W. Pulsifer is a prosperous farmer, resides at East Poland, and is a member of Excelsior Grange, P. of H. The first house at Hackett's Mills was built by Moses Emery, Jr. From 1785 to 1790 many located at Marston's Corner; among them were : Nathaniel Nason, Thomas Frank, Robert Starbird, Aaron Bray, Samuel Bailey, Jonathan Emerson, Benjamin Coombs, and David Libby. Mr Emerson was a large land owner.


In 1792 Captain George Waterhouse, a Revolutionary soldier, emigrated here from New Hampshire, and Samuel Lane and Deacon Brown soon made homes on Waterhouse hill. Tradition says the first settlement at West Poland was made by Edmund C. Megquier in 1790, on Megquier hill, at the William Jordan farm. He married Sally Merrill in 1791. William and Mark Emery soon came; William to the place now occupied by Alpheus D. Keene ; Mark settled on the farm owned by his grandson, Anthony B. Emery. They moved their families in March, 1796. Asa Loring settled on the lot now owned by Orin S. Keene; Percy Loring on the place now occupied by Leonard Foster. Richard Tripp settled south of Tripp's pond, Joseph Hall east of Tripp's pond. John Fernald was a very early settler at the foot of Megquier hill. Joshua Strout was an early settler of The Empire. He came from Portland. Among his children were Jacob, Jonas W., Nehemiah, Joshua, Sarah. Of Nehemiah's children were Nehemiah, Jr, Joseph, Deborah .. Charles Sherburn Strout, son of Jonas Weston Strout, and grandson of Nehemiah Strout, was born in East Poland, October 16, 1855. The family have been Methodists since Rev. Jesse Lee preached at the house of Nehemiah Strout in 1793. Mr Stront is a trustee and steward of that church. He married Emma L. Collins, of Mexico. He has a farm of 100 acres, a fine orchard, keeps about 100 hens and 12 cows, and does a prosperous milk business. Mr Strout is a Democrat, and was the only acting postmaster of Worthley P. O. He is a member of the U. O. G. C., and of Excelsior Grange of East Poland.


John Wooster, the first inhabitant of Ricker's hill, in 1779, very soon moved to Johnson hill. Samuel Jordan cut the first tree at South Poland on the Dockum farm. His sons, Samuel and Josiah, erected many buildings, and took active part in town affairs. Samuel, Jr, married Isabella Stinchfield, of New Gloucester. Robert Snell, an early settler here, came from Hebron. Thompson Pond plantation was owned by Captain Jesse Partridge, of Port- land, who gave a lot to each of his four brothers. David and Joseph Partridge settled on the place now owned by Edward Hanscom. David, brother of Captain Jesse, and David, son of Jesse (David senior and David júnior), came in 1798 from Saccarappa. They built a rude camp. After clearing and planting in 1799, David built a log house, and in January, 1800, David, Jr, brought his family. Next came Joseph Partridge, Joseph Jeremy, and William Johnson from Gorham; Moses Hodgdon from Windham. Curtis Walker came to his claim and General Smith to the Captain Waite place and made potash


729


I


TOWN OF POLAND.


at Potash brook. About 1820 William and Charles Brooks came from Pigeon hill to the Ridge and felled an opening in the Promised Land, but, seeing no chance of title, they abandoned it. About 1830 John and Daniel, sons of Israel Herrick, occupied it for a time. The first house was built by Simeon Denning, who left for want of a title. Reuben Blair about 1835 built a log house on the spot now occupied by his grandsons, L. C. and F. M. Blair. Next came John Emery, soon followed by William M. Perkins, William E. Lunt, and Jasper Haskell; and then came Joseph Emery and Sprague Keene, 2d. The Ridge is now one of the finest farming sections. The first settler on Black- cat hill was Luke Staples. He was followed by Jacob Barton, Benjamin Bailey, William Knight, and one Cox, who manufactured hair combs. The first settlement in Herrick Valley was by Aaron and Josiah Dunn. They were followed by John Herrick, from Minot, in November, 1823, accompanied by his sons, Moses and Azar, who settled on the same lot. Israel Herrick came from Greenwood in 1825 with six sons and one daughter, all of whom married and settled in the vicinity. Allen hill was first settled by James Walker and Isaac Knight. The land was owned by Edmund Megquier and his sons. Moses Megquier, Joseph Allen, and Ezra Fickett afterward settled here. The south slope was purchased by Nathaniel Schellinger, whose descendants live there. One Rand settled here early.


The first settlers on Pigeon hill were Jabez True and Captain Day, of New Gloucester, who made the first opening on the farm now owned by A. C. Denison, where his buildings stand. Until 1783 they were the only people that cleared much on the hill, but about 1790 a number came from The Empire and New Gloucester and took up farms, and soon came the Dennings, Davis, Strout, Marble, Captain Ripley, and Dr Peter Brooks. Captain Ripley, from Plympton, Mass., took the lot above the Trues, and built a house on the farm now owned by S. N. Haskell. Captain Ripley sold to Alden Chandler in 1802 or 1803. Jacob Strout came from The Empire and cleared land and built a log house on the lot that Captain Ripley had taken up. His house was on the east corner of the lot. His wife was Sally Bray. Their children were Sally, Joshua, Nabby, Jacob, Joseph, Nathaniel, Cyrena, Hobart, Adoniram, Cynthia, and William. Mr Strout was a kind and good neighbor. Eben Marble came fron Marblehead in 1790, and bought the farm west of the Ripley farm, now owned in part by Frank D. True. He built a house east of where Hackett's house now stands, and the farm was owned by some of the name until 1859 or 1860. He married Sarah Cash in 1790. Their children were Eben, Jr, Daniel C., David, Sally, Oliver, Lucinda, Benjamin, Lovica, Samuel F. Eben Marble lived on the hill until 1812; he enlisted and died in service. George Denning came to the hill with his brother, Simeon, in 1791 or 1792. He died on the hill in 1833. In 1791 he married a Rollins, of New Gloucester. Their children were Samuel, Stephen, Hannah, Ruth, Bathsheba, George, Job, Moses, Rhoda, James,


730


HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.


and Jacob. George Denning, Jr, first cleared land and built a log house on the hill lot and lived there a number of years. He then bought the lot next west; his buildings were on the corner near J. K. Denning's. He died in 1883. His farm is now owned by his grandson, J. K. Denning. Simeon Denning married Rebecca Chickering, of Hebron. Their children were Simeon, Peter, Frederic, John, Levi, Lyford, Elena, Rebecca, Lydia, Joseph, Lois, Otis. Simeon Denning cleared on the same lot as his brother, George, near the east corner. He lived there two or three years, and bought the place now owned by E. A. Faunce. He lived on this farm until about 1830.


Jabez True was born in New Gloucester, in 1771; married Hannah Jackson, of Poland, in 1796. In 1796 he purchased the west half of the Eben Marble lot, and built a small house near where the old True house stands. Their children were Sally, Jabez, John, Elizabeth, Hannah, Moses, Rochsyllania, Miriam, Abigail, Otis, Rebecca, Daniel W.1 Jabez True and his wife died in 1841. Jabez, Jr, was United States paymaster in 1862 and 1863. John, the second son, was in trade in Portland with his brother, under the firm name of J. & D. W. True. Jabez True was one of the independent farmers of the town. The house now standing on the farm was built by him in 1802. Dr Peter Brooks, an Indian doctor, came, as early as 1792, from Plympton, Mass., and purchased 25 acres on the west side of the Ripley lot, and his farm is now included in the farm of Andrew Russell. Dr Brooks built the first framed house on the hill, opposite Mr Russell's house. He resided there till his death in 1807 or 1808, when the farm was purchased by Seth B. Hilborn. Dr Brooks married Betsey Bryant. Their children were Lucinda, William, Charles, and Betsey. John Cousens came from Wells in 1795 or 1796, and purchased the farm now owned by Hon. A. C. Denison. He married, first, Lucy Hatch, of Kennebunk. He married, second, Sarah Cushman, of Hebron. Their children were Samuel, William, Sarah, Eliza C., Lucy, Thomas, Susan C., Abigail D., Humphrey, Mary J., Adeline, Harriet N., Jacob T., James D. Captain Samuel lived to be 85. William was a prominent citizen, and for years was the principal trader. He died in 1869. John


Cousens, Esq., died in 1841. He accumulated a large property. Alden


Chandler came in 1800 from Plympton, Mass., and purchased the farm now owned by S. N. Haskell. He married Priscilla Cushman, of Hebron, in 1805. Their children were Priscilla, Harvey, Alvin, Josiah, Lydia, Christania, Benja- min F., Gaius, Jacob, Rachel T. Alden Chandler married, second, Hepzibah Cooledge, of Livermore. Samuel Denning, a Revolutionary soldier, and wife


1 Daniel W. True was born in Poland, August 20, 1821, and died September 16, 1888. In 1855 he became a member of the firm of J. & D. W. True, wholesale grocers in Portland. He was a man of great business capacity, amassed wealth, held various civil and financial positions of importance, and always kept his love for the old Poland home and the town. He married, in 1847, Mary F. Milliken. Their only son, Frank D., succeeds to his father's interest in the Portland firm, which still is conducted as D. W. True & Co., and is a director of the Poland Paper Co.


731


TOWN OF POLAND.


came from Salem, Mass., to Poland Empire, about 1770, and settled on the farm now occupied by Moses Mcknight. They had two sons, George and Simeon, and three daughters. Sarah married Thomas Moore, of Paris; Hannah married Reuben Chandler, of Minot; Mary married Alexander Campbell, of Minot. Mr Denning died in 1798. Nathaniel Bray moved to the hill from The Empire in 1818. In 1817 he married Deborah Keene. Their children were Mary, Xoa, Stephen, James, and Eliphalet. Mr Bray died in 1857. Stephen Bray served in the Union Army nine months in 1863, and nine months in 1865, and is a member of A. A. Dwinal Post, G. A. R. He married Mrs May (Titcomb ) Merrill, of Cumberland, and has one son, Augustus. Augustus married Lizzie Stoddard, of East Weymouth, Mass., whose great-grandfather, Thomas Penney, was an early settler of New Gloucester. Both are Democrats in politics, and Augustus was a charter member of Osceola Tribe of Red Men. The Bray farm is on the West Poland road. It has 95 acres, and a prolific orchard of eight acres. Over 40 tons of hay are cut yearly, and 20 cows are kept. The milk is sold in Portland. In 1888 S. Bray & Son built a steam grist-mill of 15 horse-power at the railroad junction in Mechanic Falls. The mill is equipped with improved machinery. Daniel Bray moved to the hill in 1820 from The Empire, and built a house near Nathaniel. He married Xoa Keene. Their children were George W., Sullivan A., Emeline, Daniel J., and Jefferson. Daniel Bray died in 1860.


Harris Hill. - Daniel Waterman came to New Gloucester from Halifax, Mass., and married Abigail True, November 7, 1793. They first settled in Minot on Pottle hill, where their first child, Jabez, was born, July 28, 1794. Mr Waterman afterwards located on Harris hill. He had a large family. Jabez married Rebecca Downing and engaged in lumbering for many years. He died April 2, 1877. Abigail married Barnabas Hackett; Daniel married Anna Harris; Hannah died unmarried; Benjamin married Irene Emery; Anna married John Bailey; Henry died in infancy; Rebecca T. married Nathaniel Pulsifer; Sally died in infancy; Sarah T. died when 18; Ruby N. married Benjamin Dunn, and Charles F. died unmarried. Mr Waterman died in 1845. He was for years deacon of the First Congregational Church. Mr Waterman was followed by William and David Harris, William settling on the place now owned by M. E. Grover, and David near Bailey Mill on the place now owned by George Rowe. John Waterman, brother of Daniel, settled on Harris hill. Of his sons, Tilson was for years a trial justice of ability. Daniel Water- man, Jr, was for many years a prominent man. He was a pensioner of the War of 1812, enlisting at the age of 16. He was born May 24, 1797; died December 16, 1882. W. W. Waterman, his son, is an enterprising and public spirited citizen. Horace James Brown, one of the industrious, progressive, and successful farmers of this section, is a native of Raymond, and a son of Elison and Lucinda Brown, and a descendant of Daniel Brown and Daniel Chipman,


732


HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.


early settlers of Raymond. He married Mary E. Schellinger, a descendant of William Schellinger, one of the early settlers of Poland. In 1872, Mr Brown bought the Daniel Atwood farm on Harris hill, settled by Samuel Atwood from New Gloucester in 1810; this farm is pleasantly located, contains 80 acres, 35 of which are tillable. By his diligence and proper cultivation of this land Mr Brown has increased its fertility fourfold, and now keeps + horses, 18 cows, 1 pair oxen, and has a surplus of 6 tons of hay, where at first he could only winter 4 cows and 3 horses. Virgil D. Waterhouse is a leading farmer.


Bailey HTill was settled by Thomas Bailey in 1794. Mr Bailey first came to Nason's Mills, Auburn; he afterward settled on the place now occupied by Sylvanus Bailey, which has remained in the family. He had four sons, Thomas, Josiah, Levi, and John, who settled near the old homestead. Mr Bailey was followed by Robert Waterman, on the Zenas Lane place near Haekett's Mills. He owned the saw-mill at Poland Corner. These two hills constitute one neighborhood. The soil is deep, rich, and productive, except the easterly slope, where it is sandy. The inhabitants are thrifty and industrious. Many of them keep large herds of cows, and send their milk to Portland. The breeding of fancy stoek and poultry has received much attention.


The Shakers felled the first trees on White Oak hill, but the first settler was Jonathan Fiekett in 1797, who built a log house on land owned by David Water- house. The next settler was Paul Stanton, from Barrington, N. H .. settling on the farm of N. Q. Pope. He was a soldier of the Revolution. He had four sons, John, Paul, Benjamin, and William, who settled in that vicinity. They were all worthy and highly respected citizens, and occupied the self-same spot until their decease. The land has been in the family name until the south lot was sold to F. J. Strout, and the remainder was sold to N. Q. Pope. Hannah Stanton married Benjamin Haskell. Betsey married William Estes. Mr Stanton was followed by Richard Garland, Isaac Hayes, and others, on the northern part of the hill, while the southern part was settled by Daniel and Porter Putnam, Edward Parsons, and Lazarus Rand. The Putnams sold to William Haskell and William Pierce, and Mr Crosby. A tiny church, a school-house, and two or three dwelling-houses on the very summit constitute the most thickly settled portion of the hill. On all sides lie broad, green fields, with here and there a cozy-looking farm-house. Several of the original farms now form part of the fine stock farm of N. Q. Pope.


Mills. - [For water-powers see pages 43 and 44.] As early as 1770, Moses Emery built mills on the south side of the Little Androscoggin at Minot Corner and established a ferry.


Hackett's Mills. - Moses Emery, Jr, built the first mills here and operated them for several years. He was succeeded by Daniel Waterman, he by William Harris, James and Barnabas Hackett, and other Hacketts. Levi Hackett ran the saw-mill for more than 40 years. The leather-board mill of the Mousam


733


TOWN OF POLAND.


Manufacturing Co. was moved here from Oxford in 1884. It employs over 30 men, is owned by Emery Andrews of Kennebunkport, and is under the super- vision of W. W. Dennen. Mr Dennen has a handsome residence on the site of the first house built by Moses Emery, Jr. He is a native of Oxford, commenced work here in 1870, and has been agent since 1876. He is a Republican, an Odd Fellow, a Knight of Pythias, a Patron of Husbandry, and a Methodist. He has been representative.


Poland Corner .- In 1792 Capt. George Waterhouse built a mill at the outlet of Range pond; this was sold to Robert Waterman, and soon carried away in a freshet. Jacob Rowe later owned it. A grist-mill was built by Michael Little and sold to Isaac Barton. In 1874 this privilege was sold to A. C. Denison & Co., and the water was held in reserve for Mechanic Falls. In 1870 a steam-mill was built by John S. Briggs for a stave-mill, and large quantities of shook were manufactured. In 1875 Mr Briggs put in saw, shingle, clapboard mills and a planing machine. In 1877, two years later, he put in a grist-mill, grinding all kinds of grain. The power is given by a 125-horse- power engine. In 1884 Mr Briggs made additions to his mill for the butter factory of Poland Dairy Association, of which he is president, and for which he furnishes steam and power. „,In 1888 be put in a threshing machine. Mr Briggs is a native of Poland, son of Cyrus and Ruth P. (Sanders) Briggs. He is a Universalist, a Democrat, was representative in 1883, is agent for several large manufacturing firms, and does a large business in the sale of agricultural implements, fertilizers, etc. He is also proprietor of Poland Highland Spring on one of the highest hills of the town. This water has wonderful curative properties, and has kept sweet and pure for a year in Cuba.


Poland Dairying Association makes an average of 300 pounds of "gilt- edge " butter daily, which brings large prices. It supplies Poland Spring House, and sells in Boston and Portland.


The lodge of Good Templars here has done good work. Mr Briggs and Charles Rowe are the traders. The village attracts summer visitors yearly.


West Poland .- The first blacksmith was Jonathan Holmes. His shop stood near the residence of Edwin Emery. He was followed by Moses Megquier, who carried on the trade until about 1864. In 1822 Reuben B. Dunn kept a store where the mills road intersects the main road. Hiram Hilborn had a blacksmith shop near here; Joseph Perkins had a pottery where J. A. Russell lives. Hira Keene had long ago a small shingle-mill operated by Potash brook during the spring floods. The "19 foot " fall on Taylor brook was occupied in 1834 by a small mill with an "overshot " wheel built by Solomon Knight and later run by Daniel and David Brown. Jesse Partridge built the one now standing in 1861. He sold to O. S. & S. H. Taylor, and they to S. H. Dudley. In 1891 the place was quite a hive of industry. Fer- nald & Keene Bros's corn-packing (Poland Packing Co.) enterprise was begun


734


HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.


in 1888. It is a model establishment and distributes much money to the farmers. Stover Bros's carriage factory was built in 1871. Other industries prosper. G. O. Goodwin & Co. have a general store, and deal extensively in lumber, etc. Silas A. Megquier has been in trade since 1867. H. A. Gerry has kept a jewelry store for 10 years. Several temperance organizations have existed here, a cornet band is maintained. and Lake Grange (see page 291) is flourishing. The pure air and water, with lovely scenery, have attracted many visitors, and O. S. Keene's pleasant home offers a good summer resting place. B. M. Fernald, Moses Archibald, and Ronello Herrick are leading farmers.


Early Traders, Etc. - William Cousens was one of the early traders. In 1847 Thomas Lane was in company with him. They also manufactured potash and barrels. Jefferson Dunbar, R. B. Dunn, Freeland Marble, James Dunn, and others were in trade here for some time. The first store at West Poland was kept by Eben Smith near Potash brook. [George and Daniel Lovering had an "ashery " here and made potash.] Smith was succeeded by Captain Hodgdon, who built a store between West Poland and the Corner. Eliphalet Dunn built a store near Herrick Valley, where he traded several years. He died in 1832. Soon after, Jasper Haskell built a store at the lower corner. He was succeeded by Francis Rounds for several years, and he by Captain Joseph York. After him came J. H. Fernald, who had James S. Gerry and Daniel Hutchinson for partners for a time. This was about 1848. Since that time various parties have been engaged in trade, among them C. F. Jordan, Jesse Partridge, Capt. William Perkins, Francis Storer, and O. S. Keene.


East Poland .- At Empire Station is the store and steam-mill of Bailey Bros. This store was built by Gilman Martin about 1849. The present proprietors erected the mill in 1884. This is furnished with a 16-horse-power engine, and, in addition they have an extensive manufactory of barrels. The Mousam Manufacturing Co. is spoken of elsewhere. Excelsior Grange is well supported. [See page 290.] Among the representative farmers are Chas W., L. D. and B. F. Cobb, Waterhouse Bros, and D. W. Pulsifer.


During the War of 1812 a minimum company was raised for service by Capt. Robert Snell, a soldier of the Revolution. This company served in the Lake Champlain campaign.


Early Taverns. - Captain George Waterhouse, who came in 1792, built a tavern on the Isaac Barton place. James Hackett kept a hotel and store at the Corner many years. He was succeeded by Josiah Jordan, he by Simeon Lane, and he by James Dunn. Mr Edgecomb was the next proprietor and he sold out to George Bridgham, who was a trader at Poland Corner in 1841. Dennis Hayes also built a hotel, which he sold to S. M. Marble. Josiah Jordan kept it as a temperance hotel from 1830 to 1844. The "Square House," one of the first framed buildings in town, was kept as a tavern for several years




Need help finding more records? Try our genealogical records directory which has more than 1 million sources to help you more easily locate the available records.