History of Androscoggin County, Maine, Part 51

Author: Merrill, Georgia Drew, ed
Publication date: 1891
Publisher: Boston, W.A. Fergusson & co.
Number of Pages: 1050


USA > Maine > Androscoggin County > History of Androscoggin County, Maine > Part 51


Note: The text from this book was generated using artificial intelligence so there may be some errors. The full pages can be found on Archive.org (link on the Part 1 page).


Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5 | Part 6 | Part 7 | Part 8 | Part 9 | Part 10 | Part 11 | Part 12 | Part 13 | Part 14 | Part 15 | Part 16 | Part 17 | Part 18 | Part 19 | Part 20 | Part 21 | Part 22 | Part 23 | Part 24 | Part 25 | Part 26 | Part 27 | Part 28 | Part 29 | Part 30 | Part 31 | Part 32 | Part 33 | Part 34 | Part 35 | Part 36 | Part 37 | Part 38 | Part 39 | Part 40 | Part 41 | Part 42 | Part 43 | Part 44 | Part 45 | Part 46 | Part 47 | Part 48 | Part 49 | Part 50 | Part 51 | Part 52 | Part 53 | Part 54 | Part 55 | Part 56 | Part 57 | Part 58 | Part 59 | Part 60 | Part 61 | Part 62 | Part 63 | Part 64 | Part 65 | Part 66 | Part 67 | Part 68 | Part 69 | Part 70 | Part 71 | Part 72 | Part 73 | Part 74 | Part 75 | Part 76 | Part 77 | Part 78 | Part 79 | Part 80 | Part 81 | Part 82 | Part 83 | Part 84 | Part 85 | Part 86 | Part 87 | Part 88 | Part 89 | Part 90 | Part 91 | Part 92 | Part 93 | Part 94 | Part 95 | Part 96 | Part 97 | Part 98 | Part 99 | Part 100 | Part 101 | Part 102 | Part 103 | Part 104 | Part 105 | Part 106 | Part 107 | Part 108


426


HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.


1886; on the "Labor Arbitration " bill, April 2, 1886; on the Tariff, April 29, 1884, May 3, and July 21, 1888, and May 22, 1890, and on the currency ques- tion, at various times, were all re-printed and widely circulated by Repub- lican committees, and everywhere regarded as among the ablest presentations of these subjects ever made in Congress.


In addition to his important and successful work in Congress, and his speeches in every political campaign not only in Maine, but in many other states, Mr Dingley has found time to write many editorial articles for his paper (the Lewiston Journal), and to make many temperance addresses- serving as president of the Congressional Temperance Society for many years, and to deliver many other addresses. Among these was an address on the " Fishery Question " before the Boston Merchants' Club, March 10, 1887; one on the " Shipping Question " before the Boston Chamber of Commerce, January 31, 1889; one on the "Tariff Question " before the Home Market Club at Boston, May 31, 1890; and the oration at the centennial of his native town (Durham), August 21, 1889. He received the degree of A.M., in course, from his alma mater (Dartmouth College) in 1858, and the honorary degree of LL.D. from Bates College in 1874.


Mr Dingley married Miss Salome McKenney, daughter of a merchant of Auburn, in 1857. Six children-five sons and one daughter-have been the fruit of this union. Four of the sons and the daughter (the youngest) are now (1891) living.


OREN B. CHENEY, D.D.


"The Cheney genealogy is traced from England to Roxbury (Boston Highlands), Mass., and from Roxbury to Newburyport, some of the family being there as early as 1680. Deacon Elias Cheney, born in old Newbury, February 20, 1741, settled quite early in life in Thornton, N. H., and died there in 1805, at the age of 86. Deacon Elias Cheney, son of the above, and father of Deacon Moses Cheney, also lived and died in Thornton. The latter died in Ashland, July 17, 1875, aged 82 years and five months." Deacon Moses Cheney was the first of the name to engage in the manufacture of paper. This was in one of the first three or four mills built in the state and located at Holderness village (now Ashland), and when most of the paper was made by hand. Losing his father at the age of 12, it was but a few years after that he commenced to learn this trade, engaging in the business of manufacturing when very young, and ever afterwards continuing in it. Deacon Cheney was a highly respected man, and held many town offices. One of his sons, Person C., has been governor of New Hampshire, and U. S. Senator.


Oren Burbank Cheney, D.D., son of Deacon Moses and Abigail (Morrison) Cheney, was born in Holderness (Ashland), N. H., December 10, 1816. When


427


CITY OF LEWISTON.


a lad Oren worked in his father's paper mill to obtain the practical knowledge necessary to enable him to follow the business. But man proposes, God disposes. When Oren was 13 years old, an injury to one of his thumbs prevented his working for a time and he was sent to school at the New Hampton Academical and Theological Institute. Here a new world dawned upon him. He saw Long John Wentworth pass through the village on his way to Sandwich and Hanover, and learned that he was a student at Dart- mouth College. College life was thus brought to his attention. Here, also, Hosea Quinby, one of his teachers, was very much interested in him, and awoke in him a desire for education. In September, 1832, Rev. Dr Quinby established the first school of the Freewill Baptist denomination at North Parsonsfield, Me, and Oren was in attendance on the day of opening, as one of the first scholars of the first school of that church to whose educational interests his subsequent life has been devoted. The classes in Latin had such a charm for him that he would listen to the recitations day after day, and here he made his determination to go to college. In 1833 he began his preparatory course at New Hampton, and in 1835 he entered Dartmouth College, where he was graduated in 1839, and walked home to Holderness. The Lord was steadily preparing him for his life-work. While at home he was baptized by Rev. Dr Simeon Dana, and became a member of the Freewill Baptist church. In the fall of 1839 Mr Cheney came to Farmington, Me, as principal of the academy, and while here he married Caroline A. Rundlett. From 1841 to 1843 he was principal, first of Strafford (N. H.) Academy and later of Greenland (N. H.) Academy. While at Greenland he was licensed to preach by the Portsmouth church. In 1843 he went to North Parsonsfield, Me, as principal of the Free Baptist Seminary. He also preached; one-half the time at North Parsonsfield and the other half at Effingham ITill, N. H., where he


was ordained in 1844. In 1845 he went to Whitestown, N. Y., to study theology in the Biblical School, and to teach Latin in the Seminary. This course was unfinished, owing to the illness of his wife, who died June 13, 1846, in Stratham, N. H. (Their son, Horace R., a graduate of Bowdoin College and Harvard Law School, was a lawyer in Boston. He died December 13, 1876.) In August, 1846, he settled in West Lebanon, Me, where he preached one-half of the year. He married, August, 1847, Nancy S., daughter of Rev. Thomas Perkins. Their children are Mrs Caroline A. Swan and Mrs Emeline R. Boothby. Mrs Cheney died February 21, 1886. He was a pronounced Abolitionist, and was elected representative for 1851-2 by the Whigs and Free-soilers. While in the legislature he voted for the original prohibitory law of the state, and secured a state appropriation of funds for West Lebanon Academy, which he had founded. In 1852 he became pastor of the First Free Baptist church of Augusta, and in 1854 Parsonsfield Seminary was burned.


428


HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.


Dr Cheney now felt that the time had come to establish a Free Baptist school of high grade in a central location of the state and that it was his duty to devote himself to the accomplishment of this purpose. Through his efforts a charter for Maine State Seminary was obtained March 16, 1855, and he was made principal and treasurer. The charter gave the trustees the right to locate the school, and at a meeting at Vienna, held in connection with the Maine Central Yearly Meeting, after three days' debate, it was voted to locate it in Lewiston. The esteem in which Dr Cheney's parishioners at Augusta held him was such that it was only after two resignations that he was released from his pastorate. In 1857 he came to Lewiston, and in September opened Maine State Seminary. Dr Cheney received his degree of D.D. from Wesleyan University, Middletown, Conn., in 1865. He has been a member of twelve General Conferences, and has been three times moderator of that body, and has ever occupied a prominent position on the conference board. He has been a national delegate of his denomination to the meeting of General Baptists in England; recording secretary of the Foreign Mission, and Home Mission Societies; president of the Educational and Anti-Slavery Societies, and is now president of the Free Baptist Foreign Society. Of good Anglo-Saxon stock on his paternal side, Dr Cheney inherited from his mother the characteristics of her Scotch-Irish ancestry-industry, perseverance, self-reliance, and independ- ence of thought and action, dominated by deep religious principles. So we find him ever independent, fearless, tenacious of his convictions, and masterful in impressing them upon others. He has been a leader, persistent in carrying his well-formed plans into execution. He was by nature the very man to encounter and surmount the discouragements that were met in the establish- ment of Bates College. Opposition but spurred him to effort, and his courage and faith raised up powerful coadjutors. From the time when as a college student he successfully resisted a prominent man in the district where he was teaching, who did not approve of prayers in school and was determined that they should be discontinued, until the present he has persisted in what he thought was right and demonstrated his qualities as a Christian educator and a far-seeing and efficient man of affairs. Everywhere, in every age, in every department of life, we find that success springs from the energy of the man, and as there is an inspiration to others in the achievements of such men, we place this record that its influence may descend with helpful strength to other men and other generations.


BENJAMIN EDWARD BATES.


Benjamin E. Bates was never a resident of Lewiston, but his business ability, Christian philanthropy, and unbounded benevolence will cause his memory to be ever cherished. He was born in Mansfield, Mass., July 12, 1808, and was descended from prominent families of Plymouth Colony. His father,


429


CITY OF LEWISTON.


Major Elkanah Bates, was a merchant and deacon of the Congregational church, and Benjamin was early familiar with the details of business operations and developed a sterling Christian character. Going to Boston when 21 he soon became member of the mercantile firm of B. F. Loring & Co., which became in turn Davis & Bates, Davis, Bates & Turner, and Bates, Turner & Co. These different houses stood in the front rank of the eminent firms of the city. The firm of Bates, Turner & Co. was dissolved in 1847 and the same year Mr Bates became interested in Lewiston and its capabilities for manufacturing. He worked incessantly, sparing no pains, and finally became personally responsible for the payment of many subscriptions of stock in Lewiston corporations from those who proved unable to meet the payment. In four years' time $1,000,000 was profitably expended, two corporations started (one bearing his name), and the first mill of each in successful opera- tion. He took $13,000 stock of the $25,000 capital in the first bank of the city, and did more in building up the solid wealth of the city than any or all residents of the place. In January, 1862, he made his first subscription to the school now Bates College. It was $6,000, with the condition that the State Agricultural College should be located here. This was not done, however, and he substituted a pledge of $25,000 on other conditions, which were met and the pledge redeemed. July 11, 1868, his second subscription of $75,000 was made and later paid. His third subscription was made February 21, 1873, for $100,000, on condition that an equal sum should be raised within five years. These conditions were supposed to have been met 38 days after his death, January 14, 1878. The subsequent litigation and decision against the right of the college to this money does not affect his generosity. He was a man of vast comprehension of life, of great business capacities, and, while the busiest of workers, yet he always had time to relieve distress, and to do able work for Christian philanthropies. By his own efforts he became the pride of business circles, the founder of gigantic industries, the patron of learning, and an honorable pillar of his church.


HON. J. L. H. COBB.


An old Kentish family of goodly estate was represented in the early Plymouth Colony by a young man, Henry Cobb,1 who was one of the nine men known as " Men of Kent," that settled in Scituate, where they gave the name to the first located street-Kent street. He was at Plymouth in 1629; his name is on the first list of freemen made in 1633 as a member of the General Court. In 1634 he was one of the first settlers of Scituate, a member and deacon of the Congregational church. In 1639, with his pastor, Rev. John Lothrop, and the most of the church, he removed to Mattakeese (Barnstable), where in 1670 he was ordained "ruling elder." Here he was a town officer, a member of important committees, and deputy to the Colony Court in 1645,


430


HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.


1647, 1652, 1659, 1660, 1661. He died in 1679. His first wife was Patience Hurst, whom he married in Plymouth in 1631. John Cobb,2 eldest child of Henry and Patience (Hurst) Cobb, was born in Plymouth, June 7, 1632, married Martha Nelson, and settled in his native town, where he died in 1715. His descendants are among the leading citizens of Plymouth to-day, Ebenezer,3 third child of John and Martha, married first Mercy Holmes. Their oldest child was Ebenezer,4 of whom Thomas B. Drew, the historian of Kingston, Mass., says: "Died December 8, 1801, Mr Ebenezer Cobb, in the 108th year of his age. As he was born in 1694, his life embraced six years of the 17th century, the whole of the 18th, and one year of the 19th. As he was five years of age before Mary (Allerton) Cushman, the last survivor of the Mayflower company, died, it makes him the link that connects the Pilgrims with the present generation. Persons are now living (1884) who recollect Mr Cobb." He was born March 22, 1694, was thrice married, lived 107 years, 8 months, 6 days, and was buried in the old grave-yard at Kingston, where a quaint inscription is inscribed upon his tombstone. His first wife was Ruth Tinkham, whom he married in October, 1722. Ebenezer,5 their first child, was born March 4, 1724, married Jerusha Cushman in 1747, and settled in Kingston at Rocky Nook, where he died in 1782. His wife died in Plymouth in 1814. Zenas" was their fifteenth child. He was born February 2, 1772, and married Dorcas Rowe, April 24, 1794, in New Gloucester. The eldest son of this union was Zenas, born July 7, 1795. For his first wife he married Charlotte, daughter of Jonathan Lovett Haskell, of New Gloucester, July 12, 1818, and settled in Poland, becoming a lumberman and farmer. Zenas Cobb and wife possessed that character of plain, unostentatious industry, integrity, and morality that is the moving force of the better elements of the American civilization of to-day. Whig and Republican in politics, Congregational in religion, their New England ideas were conveyed to their children in an extremely valuable education at the family fireside and among daily duties. Mrs Cobb was a most devoted Christian, charitable in every good work, and her influence was mighty in the formation of her children's character. They had thirteen children; Mary Ann (married Lebbeus Stockbridge), Reuel, Luther D., of East Poland, Jonathan L. H., Persis (married Shepherd Trickey), Dorcas R., William H. and Harriet (Mrs David Everett), (twins), Thomas S., Joseph F., Benjamin F., of East Poland. Mr Cobb died February 6, 1871, aged 76. Mrs Cobb died February 25, 1864, aged 70.


Jonathan Lovett Haskell Cobb, & son of Zenas and Charlotte (Haskell) Cobb, was born in Poland, Me, August 5, 1824. He had the wholesome life of the farm during his minority, having and applying the educational advan- tages of the district school, and taught six winters in Poland and Gray, making a good record as an instructor. In 1845 he entered a cotton manufactory at Saco as laborer in the dressing and weaving department, receiving 60 cents


431


CITY OF LEWISTON.


per day. While here, December 10, 1848, he married Abigail L. P. Morrell, daughter of Nathaniel and Mary (Hall) Morrell, of Poland. By attention and application Mr Cobb acquired valuable knowledge, and in 1850, went to Hadley Falls, Mass., to take charge of a weaving room in the Glasgow Mills. Here he remained for 18 months, established a character for assiduity and fidelity, and was presented with a gold watch by his employers as a token of their appreciation and esteem. In 1852 the Bates Mill at Lewiston was opened and Mr Cobb took charge of the weaving in No. 1-the first mill built in Lewiston. Four years were profitably passed here, and then the life exchanged for a more active one. After a year as a grocer in Casco, in 1857 he returned to Lewiston, and became a member of the mercantile firm of Burleigh, Cobb & Co., with which he was connected until 1866. He then engaged in the manufacture of woolens in North Gray, as senior member of the firm of J. L. H. Cobb & Co. In 1868 the firm built the Cumberland Mill in Lewiston, and Mr Cobb's energies were successfully given to its management until his retire- ment in 1886. His business life was crowned with success; he was untiring in his energy, and gained wealth. Entering early the school of experience and labor, Mr Cobb has had a busy, active, and useful life. The quality of his mind is determined and powerful, and he has ever been independent and decided in his action, and his large vital strength has given him physical endurance. He has well understood how to manage men and bring good results in business operations, and has filled important political positions with credit. Strongly Republican in principle, Mr Cobb represented Lewiston in the legislature of 1874-5, and his senatorial district in 1878-9. He was promi- ment in establishing Central Maine General Hospital and is president of the association. His religious affiliations are with the Congregationalists; he is a member of the Pine Street Congregational church, and for several years deacon. His generosity, benevolence, and public spirit are undoubted. The establish- ment of Cobb Divinity School in connection with Bates College sprung from his desire to aid those struggling to fit themselves for work in the Master's vineyard, and this institution will ever be a worthy monument to his memory, and when generation after generation shall have passed away, and this good year of grace become one of the dates of antiquity, may there be good and faithful ministers in many fields of Christian activity, educated within its walls, to demonstrate the wisdom of its founder and honor his name.


432


HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.


CYRUS I. BARKER.


Cyrus I. Barker comes of that strong, virile, New England stock whose descendants dominate the successful movements and achievements of the century in this country. His grandfather, Asa Barker, was one of the " embattled farmers " of the Revolution, and for his services as a soldier was granted lands in Bridgton, Me, where he developed a fine home. Here his grandson, Cyrus I., son of Jonathan and Catherine (Mitchell) Barker, was born, November 27, 1827. To his stalwart ancestry Mr Barker is indebted for an inheritance of physical vigor, strong mental powers, and a tenacity of purpose which never tires in the accomplishment of its objects. Early thrown upon his own resources, he demonstrated his capability for successful labor on farms and in a quarry, but his tastes were mechanical, and in 1845, when 18,. he commenced his long and notable connection with manufacturing at the lowest round of the ladder by tending a " lap alley " in the York Mills at Saco. His diligent attention and painstaking were rewarded by promotion through various grades to overseer. During the 14 years he was employed in these mills he became thoroughly conversant with cotton manufacturing. In 1860 Mr Samuel M. Batchelder, treasurer of the York Mills, who had watched Mr Barker's progress with friendly and business interest, bought the Everett Mill in Lawrence, Mass., and employed him to take charge of the carding depart- ment. Eight sets of woolen machinery had been placed in the mill and the starting and oversight of these were intrusted to him. He soon familiarized himself with the details of woolen manufacturing, and in 1865 was appointed general manager for A. Campbell & Co., a firm just commencing the manu- facture of cotton and woolen goods in Philadelphia. In the three years that Mr Barker was their agent, he planned and erected a stone and brick mill, 600 feet long, seven stories high, with 40,000 spindles.


Early in 1868, Benjamin E. Bates induced Mr Barker to give the advan- tage of his skill, experience, and business energy to the development of manufacturing in the Bates Mills, Lewiston, and he was agent here until his resignation in 1887. Under his active management, life and prosperity permeated every department. From a plain cotton mill of 34,000 spindles, radical changes made a wonderful factory of various productions: cottonades, ginghams, dress-goods, fancy shirtings, cheviots, satin jeans, towellings, plain crochet and Marseilles quilts. It was not until a bleachery was established in the mills and special machinery for bleaching invented and patented by Mr Barker that the beautiful figures and patterns of the delicate Marseilles quilts could be preserved. This is but one instance of the many successful applica- tions of Mr Barker's mechanical and inventive skill, that brought the products of the Bates Mills to an unusually high standard. From 1883 until his resignation Mr Barker gave his attention to a thorough reconstruction of the


yours truly 7


432 a


CITY OF LEWISTON.


Bates, which engrossed his time, and caused even his iron constitution to feel the need of rest, and from 1888 to 1890 he engaged in extensive travel in this country, Mexico, and the West Indies, to recuperate and examine opportunities for investment. He did this, as he does everything, most thoroughly, and returned to Maine with a still greater faith in its superior advantages and brilliant future. The Bates Mills did not, however, monopolize Mr Barker's energies. In 1870, he, in company with J. H. Roak, John Cook, J. P. Gill, and John R. Pulsifer, formed the Little Androscoggin Water-Power Company, and paid $40,000 for 300 acres (mostly woodland) in Auburn (see page 648). Mr Barker was chosen president, and at once commenced operations to build a mill. The forest was cleared off, a dam 27 feet high built across the river, a canal blasted out of solid rock, and a mill, 300 x 50 feet, with four stories, completed in 1873. As a compliment to the vigor, industry, and rapidity infused into the work by Mr Barker's personality, the directors voted that the mill should be named the Barker Mill, and he was continued as president until 1879. Later, in connection with E. F. Packard, he built the Avon Mill in Lewiston, of which he has since been president. (This is the third largest quilt mill in the country.) He was an organizer and an original member of the New England Cotton Manufacturers' Association, and was on the board of managers for several terms. When the Lewiston Machine Co. was re-organized, nearly 20 years ago, Mr Barker was made president and now occupies that posi- tion ; much of the success of that profitable corporation is due to his executive ability. In 1887, with T. E. Eustis, F. H. Packard, A. D. Barker, and Ansel Briggs, Mr Barker formed the Washburn Chair Co. In 1890 he was instru- mental in forming the Lewiston Mill Co., was made its president and agent, and his attention is now given to its business. About $100,000 was paid for new machinery the first year, and the capacity of the plant nearly doubled.


From his first residence in Lewiston he has been an acknowledged leader in financial affairs. He was a corporator of the People's Savings Bank, has been a trustee from the first, and its president for the past ten years. He was a corporator and an original director of the Manufacturers' National Bank, and its vice-president for several years. In connection with other officers of the bank, he was instrumental in securing the permanent location of the State Fair grounds in Lewiston. His interest in all movements to add to the business importance of Lewiston caused him to be elected president of its Board of Trade in 1886, and re-elected annually. He has been a vice-president of the State Board of Trade from its organization. As a Republican he has served in both branches of the city government, was on the first board of water commissioners, and one of the board during the construction of the water works. He was one of the commissioners to superintend the building of the first city building. Mr Barker has been a Universalist from early life, and is one of the trustees of Maine Universalist Convention. In 1850 he


432 b


HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.


joined Saco Lodge, I. O. O. F., where he passed the chairs, and retains his membership, and in 1852 joined Saco Lodge, F. & A. M., where he is a member. Mr Barker married, August 11, 1848, Almira B., daughter of Daniel Jewett, of Denmark. Children: Alvarado D. (who married Georgia Sanderson, a native of Oxford county, and has one child, Grace), and Sarah Ida (who married F. H. Packard; they have a son, Cyrus F.). Mrs Barker died August 24, 1886, and August 15, 1888, Mr Barker married Mrs Mary B. (Kilgore) Sprague, a lady of practical ability, under whose personal supervision Mr Barker built one of the handsomest and most convenient residences in Lewiston, over which she presides with pleasing grace. Mr Barker has acquired more than a competency by his own unaided efforts, and recalls with satisfaction the patient industry and persevering energy by which he has risen from a humble position to one of eminent success. Of strong will and positive nature, he places his individuality upon everything he undertakes, and is and will be for years a prominent landmark in the business and financial life of Androscoggin county.




Need help finding more records? Try our genealogical records directory which has more than 1 million sources to help you more easily locate the available records.