USA > Maine > Androscoggin County > History of Androscoggin County, Maine > Part 96
Note: The text from this book was generated using artificial intelligence so there may be some errors. The full pages can be found on Archive.org (link on the Part 1 page).
Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5 | Part 6 | Part 7 | Part 8 | Part 9 | Part 10 | Part 11 | Part 12 | Part 13 | Part 14 | Part 15 | Part 16 | Part 17 | Part 18 | Part 19 | Part 20 | Part 21 | Part 22 | Part 23 | Part 24 | Part 25 | Part 26 | Part 27 | Part 28 | Part 29 | Part 30 | Part 31 | Part 32 | Part 33 | Part 34 | Part 35 | Part 36 | Part 37 | Part 38 | Part 39 | Part 40 | Part 41 | Part 42 | Part 43 | Part 44 | Part 45 | Part 46 | Part 47 | Part 48 | Part 49 | Part 50 | Part 51 | Part 52 | Part 53 | Part 54 | Part 55 | Part 56 | Part 57 | Part 58 | Part 59 | Part 60 | Part 61 | Part 62 | Part 63 | Part 64 | Part 65 | Part 66 | Part 67 | Part 68 | Part 69 | Part 70 | Part 71 | Part 72 | Part 73 | Part 74 | Part 75 | Part 76 | Part 77 | Part 78 | Part 79 | Part 80 | Part 81 | Part 82 | Part 83 | Part 84 | Part 85 | Part 86 | Part 87 | Part 88 | Part 89 | Part 90 | Part 91 | Part 92 | Part 93 | Part 94 | Part 95 | Part 96 | Part 97 | Part 98 | Part 99 | Part 100 | Part 101 | Part 102 | Part 103 | Part 104 | Part 105 | Part 106 | Part 107 | Part 108
Capt. Jacob Dwinal, a well-to-do farmer and speculator, moved from Dwinal hill about 1836, purchased a large tract of land, and built a nice house for the times, and a store, and went into trade, employing Samuel F. Waterman as manager. He also traded largely in lumber and cattle, and was financially the most successful man, up to his death in 1851 at the age of 58, of any man in the village; probably he was the wealthiest man in town. He left a wife and nine children. His widow died within the last year, over 90 years old. Three sons and one daughter are now residing in the village. Oliver B. and Charles H. are successful merchants and dealers in real estate1; Major F. E. is post-
master. 3 He earned the title of major in the actual service of his country. The eldest daughter married W. W. Waterman, Esq., of Poland, and resided here a large portion of her life, and died this year, greatly beloved and respected. Winfield C., the second boy, was a very successful business man. He was one of the proprietors of the cemetery, and, dying in 1879, was the first man to be buried in it. Isaac Dwinal, son of the early Jacob, came from Hebron about 1836, was a farmer and speculator, built a hotel, and opened a store where J. C. Walker's store now is, and was in trade until his death, when he was succeeded by his son, Alexander B., who later exchanged merchandising for farming.
The Village and Its Business. - Mechanic Falls is located in Poland and Minot, on each side of the Little Androscoggin river, 362 miles from Portland on
10. B. & W. C. Dwinal commenced trade soon after their father's death in the same store. The firm has been O. B. & C. H. Dwinal since 1882. They do an annual business of about $20,000. From 1870 they have dealt in real estate, and own a large number of village lots, stores, shops, dwellings, etc. O. B. Dwinal has held many important positions and has been collector of taxes for 12 years. C. H. Dwinal has been representative, town clerk 10 years, and town treasurer for many years.
782
HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.
the Grand Trunk Railway, at the junction of the Portland and Rumford Falls Railroad, is from 200 to 300 feet above tide-water, and contains more than 2,000 inhabitants. It has over 400 scholars, seven schools, and three school- houses ; six paper-mills, one shoe manufactory, with capacity of 40 to 50 cases per day, owned by citizens and run by J. Harris & Sons; one clothing manufactory, capacity of 100,000 garments a year, owned and managed by J. A. Bucknam & Co.1 (E. A. Gammon); machine shop and foundry, owned and managed by J. W. Penney & Sons,2 employing from 10 to 20 hands; one steam saw-mill and lumber yard, owned and managed by George O. Goodwin & Co., capacity one million feet per year; one corn factory with wood-working machinery, owned and managed by John Hanscom; two blacksmith shops, owned and run by E. A. Sanders and J. W. Whitman; two carriage shops, John Donham and L. Edgecomb; one laundry, F. H. McDonald; one toothpick factory, Ernest Harris; two hotels, P. R. Cobb3 and A. V. Edie, both temperance; one boarding house, Libby ; four livery stables, Waterman & Jordan, James Nason, N. H. Nelson, Hiram Perkins; one confectionery factory and bakery, M. N. Royal & Bro .; two restaurants, Mr Pooler and Mrs Libby; one builder's and contractor's shop and lumber yard, owned and managed by A. J. Weston ;
1 OLD EMPLOYES. - Frank R. Harmon, when 32 years of age, in February, 1864, joined the cavalry force of the U. S. Army to put down the Rebellion, and did his duty as a faithful soldier. In 1872 he began work for J. A. Bucknam in his mills, near Mechanic Falls, and remained with him till he closed the business. From that time he has been a faithful workman in the clothing factory. In politics he is a Democrat, and in religion a Universalist. George W. Robbins, son of Calvin Robbins, was born in Buckfield in 1843, entered the military service in 1862 as a nine-months' man, and re-enlisted. He eame to Mechanic Falls in 1874, and married Hattie, the third daughter of Joseph Bucknam. He has for many years been an efficient man in the clothing factory. He is a consistent Odd Fellow, Republican, a Universalist, and a worthy citizen.
2 J. W. Penney & Sons. - Mr Penney came from Bangor to Poland about 1856, to work as a black- smith. From 1859 to 1869 he was a carriage ironer at Mechanic Falls, and then, with E. M. Thurston, he manufactured a wrench of his invention. He then opened a machine shop, and later was in charge of the repairs of the Denison Paper Co. In 1875 he built a shop back of the factory and began to manufacture a scroll-saw of his invention, which was in enormous demand, and employed 6 or 8 men. In 1880 he built his machine shop of two stories, on Maple street (this is 33 x 80 feet in size, with a 15-horse-power engine and large boiler), and commenced to make stationary steam-engines, paper-making machinery, etc., employing six men, and adding a foundry in 1888. He was the pioneer of electric lighting, introducing it into his shop in 1889. In 1886 the firm of J. W. Penney & Sons was formed. His sons, Almont R. and Samuel R., have been proprietors since February, 1891. From 15 to 20 hands are employed, and an extensive business is done in buying and selling portable engines and mill supplies.
3 Prescott R. Cobb, son of William, Jr, of Sumner, and Lovicy (Gurney) Cobb, of Paris, was born in Hebron. His grandfather, William Cobb, came from Carver, Mass., and settled in Carthage, then in Hebron. Mr Cobb's wife, Jeanie Donaldson, was born in Scotland. William Cobb, Jr, established himself in the hotel business at Mechanic Falls in 1847, and his son, Prescott R., has been a landlord here for many years. He is a temperance man of strong and sincere convictions, and points with pride to the fact that he has never sold a glass of intoxicating liquor. He is a Universalist in religious preferences, a Republican in polities, has been seleetman for three years, and was representative in 1885. As Master of Tyrian Lodge, High Priest of Union R. A. Chapter, F. & A. M., and secretary of Mechanic Falls Manufacturing Company, he has shown executive and business ability.
783
TOWN OF MINOT.
two shoemakers and cobblers, John Noyes and John Cole; lawyers, F. O. Purington and J. M. Libby ; four physicians, E. F. Bradford, Carolus M. Cobb, Charles H. Tobie (allopaths), A. D. Bowman (homoeopath); two dentists, N. S. Marshall, A. W. Butler; one store with three departments (dry goods, groceries, and merchant tailor's shop), owned and managed by J. A. Bucknam & Co .; one dry goods store, by L. A. Moulton & Co. (John Curtis) ; two clothing and shoe stores, O. B. & C. H. Dwinal and A. G. Woodsum ; one harness shop, George I. Folsom; three drug stores, John Walker, Merrill & Denning, Mrs Nancy Holt; four confectionery stores, A. W. Bridge, Lewis J. Morton, Ernest Harris, C. O. Cole; one hardware store and coal office, O. W. Hawkes1 & Co. (William Whitney), two furniture stores, D. B. Perry 2 and J. S. Merrill; one boot and shoe store, Frank A. Golderman ; two jewelers, Zenas Lane and E. C. Barnard; eight grocery stores, J. A. Bucknam & Co., F. H. McDonald, S. T. Rowe, A. G. Tinkham & Co., I. F. McCann & Co., G. G. Bridgham, I. A. Denison, S. S. Waterhouse; one millinery store, Sarah C. Thayer & Co.
The Masons' Mutual Relief Association was organized February 6, 1875. It had 27 charter members, and J. M. Eveleth, M.D., was chosen president, and J. S. Merrill, secretary. The association has paid more than $300,000 to widows and orphans. The officers are : A. J. Weston, president ; J. A. Buck-
1 Orrington W. Hawkes, son of Jonathan G. and Polly B. (Cushman) Hawkes, was born in Minot, November 17, 1824. His grandparents, Nathaniel and Ruth (Bucknam) Hawkes, were among the early settlers of the west part of the town. In 1865 Mr Hawkes entered the stove and hardware business at Mechanic Falls as a member of the firm of Hawkes, Thurston & Co. In 1872 the firm was changed to ITawkes & Whitney, and the store has been enlarged to equal anything in the county. Mr Hawkes married (1st) Annie A. K. Hall; she died in 1872, leaving five children; married (2d) Mary Ellen, a daughter of Cyrus S. Packard, of West Auburn. Mr Hawkes is a Republican and a Universalist, and has been clerk of the Mechanic Falls Maple Grove Cemetery Corporation since its organization, and one of its directors most of the time.
2 Dimon B. Perry is grandson of Dimon Perry (see page 602), and son of David B. Perry, who married Betsey S. Curtis and settled in Minot. Children: Dimon B., Lorenzo G., Nelson, David B., l'ersis C. (Mrs E. W. Bird), Izora (Mrs David Thomas). Dimon B. Perry has been closely connected with the business interests of Mechanic Falls since the winter of 1861-62, when he engaged in photography here. Selling out in 1867, he went into trade on the Poland side, where Royal & Co.'s confectionery manufactory is now. He purchased the block he now occupies in 1883 and opened bis present store. This block was built about 1850 by Dr Josiah Carr and Alanson Briggs as a dwelling and stores, and the second and third floors were occupied by Dr Carr as a residence until his death in 1873. Gerrish Bridgham traded for some time in one of the stores after it was built. J. A. Bucknam & Co. later traded there, and Golderman & Cummings had a clothing store here for a time. John C. Walker kept a drug store in this block for some years, and I. B. Cushman a flour and grain store for a time. The first hall in the village was in its upper story, and Tyrian lodge of Free Masons occupied it for fifteen years. A. A. Dwinal Post, G. A. R. later (and until 1884) occupied it. The Ladies' Chau- tauqua Club has a reading-room in the fourth story. The building is 44x60 feet in size, with four floors, the three lower ones being occupied with the immense stock carried by Mr. Perry, except the law office of Hon. J. M. Libby. Mr Perry has a wide range of goods-furniture, carpets, crockery, fancy goods, toys, five and ten-cent goods in great variety, holiday goods in their seasons, and well provided undertaking and upholstering departments.
784
HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.
nam, vice-president; James H. DeCoster,1 secretary ; E. A. Gammon, treasurer ; J. M. Libby, J. A. Bucknam, P. R. Cobb, finance committee.
The Poland & Minot Water, Electric Light and Power Co. is located at Mechanic Falls ; capital stock, $25,000; directors, J. Hanscom, Luther Per- kins, A. E. True, N. Q. Pope, J. M. Libby. J. M. Libby, president; Luther Perkins, treasurer.
The Mechanic Falls Loan and Building Association, organized September 25, 1890, has leading citizens in its management and is doing a good work. D. B. Perry, president ; F. H. McDonald, treasurer ; J. H. DeCoster, secretary.
The Mechanic Falls Reading-Room and Library Association, recently organ- ized, has these officers: C. M. Cobb, president; H. E. Thurston, Miss M. A. Hawkes, F. A. Millett, vice-presidents ; H. A. Poole, secretary ; Edith G. Perry, treasurer.
Mechanic Falls Manufacturing Company .- This was organized in 1883 to encourage the establishment of a shoe manufactory here. Oliver B. Dwinal has been president from organization, excepting one year (1889), when C. E. Stevens held the office. The other officers are: Prescott R. Cobb, secretary ; O. B. Dwinal, C. E. Stevens, J. A. Bucknam, Dimon B. Perry, William N. Tobie, directors. The company built a factory south of the Grand Trunk Railway at a cost of $15,000, which was leased to Joseph Harris & Sons, shoe manufacturers of Marblehead, Mass., who have occupied it from its completion. They employ 230 hands.
Harris & Lee, Toothpick Manufacturers .-- E. A. Harris, a native of Minot, but who as a machinist in the shop of the Evans Rifle Manufacturing Company removed to New York when that company removed its plant thither, and who passed several years in working on fine machinery in Boston, New York, and Providence, returned to Mechanic Falls in 1886 and for two years devoted himself to inventing and making machinery to manufacture wood toothpicks. In 1888 he began the manufacture of toothpicks, cigar lighters, and other novelties in wood. The firm is now Harris & Lee. The power is given by a 15-horse-power steam engine, and the daily product is 25 cases of 100 boxes each containing 2,500 toothpicks. When in operation from 15 to 20 hands are employed, mostly girls.
Dirigo Steam Laundry. - This was established before 1885, when David B. Morse became proprietor; he was succeeded by J. P. Chaffin, who sold in September, 1890, to F. H. McDonald, who has enlarged the business and connected with it a fine bath-room. He receives work regularly from his
1 .James II. DeCoster, son of Henry and Abigail (Irish) DeCoster, was born in Buckfield. Henry DeCoster was a native of Hebron, but moved to Buckfield early in life. James married Angela M. Shaw, of Buckfield. In 1861 he enlisted for three months, was not assigned, and with 19 others was discharged. In 1865, as a Republican, he was appointed postmaster at Buckfield, and resigned in 1877. In 1880 he came to Mechanic Falls, and is a popular citizen. He has been secretary of the Masons' Mutual Relief Association since May, 1886.
785
TOWN OF MINOT.
agencies in Oxford, Hebron, Buckfield, Canton, Dixfield, West Paris, South Paris, Norway, Bethel, and Groveton, Stratford and North Stratford, N. H. Mr McDonald is a public-minded citizen, has done good work in official posi- tions for the schools and the town, and is now chairman of the board of selectmen.
There are four church buildings, all maintaining services every Sunday. Rev. George G. Hamilton is pastor of the Universalist church; preaching service in forenoon, Sunday school in the afternoon, lecture or social meeting in the evening; average attendance, forenoon, 250; salary, $1,100. Rev. Wm H. Clark is pastor of the Baptist church; Sunday services same as the Uni- versalists; average attendance, forenoon, 60. Rev. Charles F. Parsons is pastor of the Methodist church; Sunday services same as Universalists ; average attendance, 100. Rev. Frederick Newport, pastor of the Congrega- tionalists, holds the same Sunday services, and has an attendance of about 60. Rev. J. A. Libby and Mrs J. E. Jordan supply the Second Advent Church regularly on Sundays ; average attendance, 40. They set no particular time (as they once did) for the second coming of Christ, but teach that it is to be immediate. They hold meetings in McDonald's Hall.
There are numerous society organizations. For Tyrian Lodge and Union R. A. C., F. & A. M., see pages 241, 244; Monami Lodge and Orion Encampment, I. O. O. F., see page 271; A. A. Dwinal Post, G. A. R., see page 178; A. J. Pettie Camp, S. of V., see page 182; W. C. T. U., see page 298. OTHER SOCIETIES. - Knights of Pythias, St Elmo Lodge, No. 55, J. W. Merrill, C .; E. F. Smith, R. R. S. Knights of Labor, Equity Assembly, No. 3912, Norris Greenwood, M. W .; O. C. Bridge, R. S .; United Order of Golden Cross, No. 245, Curtis Sawyer, N. C .; Fred Chaplin, K. of R. I. O. G. T., Garfield Lodge, No. 266, A. S. Ellsworth, Deputy; D. S. Bailey, C. T. I. O. R. M., Osceola Lodge, No. 24, D. B. Perry, S .; O. C. Bridge, C. of R.
Within the last three years an earnest effort has been made by the citizens of the village to be incorporated, in order to avail themselves of the modern improvements, of electric lights, and water supply to extinguish fires and for domestic uses, and a union of the schools. After a hard fought battle in the legislature of 1889, a charter was granted, but it was so arranged by the opposers of the corporation that it must be accepted by a majority of each side of the river separately, thereby defeating it by six votes on the Poland side ; by the united votes of both sides, Poland and Minot, the charter would have been accepted by a majority of 81 votes.
Minot Corner. - This was early a central point. Moses Emery built saw and grist mills here soon after the Revolution. The first ones were carried off by high water, soon rebuilt and followed by others, mostly lumber mills. The power is good. [See page 43.] When the mills were busy in early days, Benjamin Butler added a tannery, Isaac Dufts a saddler's shop, and Daniel
786
HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.
Cash a store (the first in town) to the business interests. From that day this has been a place of successful trade. In 1815 came Godfrey Grosvenor, originally from Buffalo, N. Y., who was in large trade here for 15 years or more, giving the place the name of Grosvenor's Corner. Willard H. Wood- bury was also in trade from 1820 for ten or more years.
He was courteous and gentlemanly, and of great intelligence and ability.
At a later date, Weston F. Milliken had a store in the Grosvenor store, but, removing to Portland, he was succeeded by his brother Seth, who is now a prominent merchant of New York City. Lyman Cousens succeeded Seth Milliken, and was followed by William Rounds, whose son is now in trade. In 1871 Jordan & Rounds and Z. I. Frank were merchants, Rounds & Littlefield were making barrels by the thousand, Lucius Hackett was "pulling " from 50,000 to 75,000 pounds of wool yearly, and there were two carriage shops and two harness shops. In 1891 W. Rounds has a grist-inill and store, Burnham & Morrill can corn and vegetables, W. H. True deals in carriages and lumber, Andrew R. Giddinge, a descendant and namesake of Andrew R. Giddinge, of Danville (see page 713), who has held important local offices with credit, is the village blacksmith.
WEST MINOT was of business importance early. Capt. John Bridgham, 2d, built a grist-mill over a hundred years ago at Faunce's Mills, which soon, being carried away, was rebuilt at West Minot. From this time trade centered here from Hebron and the surrounding country, and the Bridghams and others conducted trade and other enterprises for many years. When Bog Falls was first developed, West Minot was a brisk village. The land owners, however, did not offer inducements for business men to locate ; the Bucknams moved to Mechanic Falls, Ara Cushman later moved to Auburn, and business languished. The power is a fine one (see page 44), has been used since its first develop- ment, and runs a grist-mill, built in 1843 by Joshua Parsons, now carried on by Jeffrey Parsons, and furnishes power for a carriage manufactory. The power one-half mile above is occupied by F. E. Rowe's saw and shingle mills. The other business men are James and A. F. DeCoster and L. Dunham in the carriage business ; Moses Young, merchant.
The Minot Packing Company .- This was formed in 1888 by H. E. Thurston and J. A. Gerry, of Mechanic Falls, and H. F. Hayford and J. W. Bicknell, of Canton. They built a canning factory at West Minot, on the line of the rail- road. Hayford soon sold his interest to the others, and in 1890 Bicknell sold to Thurston and Gerry. They do an annual business of $20,000, principally in canning sweet corn, of which 150 acres are raised for them. They also put up a small amount each of beans, apples, pumpkins, etc. In 1891 they packed 45,000 cases.
Colonel Joshua Parsons, born at Norway, July 25, 1796, located at West Minot in 1817, and carried on carding and cloth dressing until 1843, when he
787
TOWN OF MINOT.
built a grist-mill and operated it for many years. In 1819 he married Sybil, daughter of Captain John Bridgham. Colonel Parsons represented Minot in 1833, and was elected to the Maine senate in 1839. He was justice of the peace, and obtained pensions for many veterans of the Revolution. He served as town clerk, treasurer, and chairman of the board of selectmen. He was a Whig in politics until the death of that party, when he became a Democrat. He was a Universalist, honest in his transactions, and lived an exemplary life. He died in Auburn, October 13, 1884. Among his children were Solomon, John W., Jeffrey, Elizabeth, and Ann C.
Gideon Bearce, son of Daniel and Sylvinia Bearce, was born in what is now Hebron, in Oxford county. Hle is seventh in descent from Austin Bearce, who came from Southampton, England, in the Ship Confidence to Barnstable, Mass., April 24, 1638, the paternal line being Austin,1 James,2 John,3 Gideon, 4 Gideon,5 Daniel,6 Gideon," and the maternal line, Austin,1 James,2 John,3 Asa,4 Asa, Jr,5 Sylvinia,6 and Gideon.7 Gideon5 and Asa, Jr,5 were among the earliest settlers of this section, and Asa, Jr, was a prominent man in affairs, and chairman of the board of selectmen for many years. Gideon has suc- ceeded to his grandfather's place in the confidence and esteem of his townsmen, few men in Minot having held more positions of public trust. He has been town treasurer, clerk in 1860-61-62-63-64-65, 1869-70-71-72-73-74-75-76; selectman in 1882-83-84-85-86; has represented the towns of Minot and Poland in the legislature; has been postmaster at West Minot for several years, and has held many other offices. Mr Bearce has been a merchant at West Minot, a Republican in politics, and a Universalist in religious pref- erences. With great love for the study of nature, he has a large and valuable mineralogical collection, the result of his devotion to that branch of science.
Some of Minot's Principal Farmers from 1840. - West Minot. - Isaiah Woodman, Mellen Woodman ; John Woodman, Sullivan Woodman; Cyrus King; Ara Cushman (father of Ara, the shoe manufacturer), Thomas Cush- man; Thomas, Edmund, W. G. and Charles R. Millett (four generations), all successful farmers ; Gerrish Bridgham, his successor, Jason Hilborn, and son ; Cyrus Bridgham, his sons, Cyrus, Henry, and George; Asa Bearce, his son, Asa (school teacher and farmer), their successor, Mr Bean ; Amos Harris, his son, Hiram, and grandsons, John and Amos; David and William Patch ; William Crooker; Comfort Crooker and son, Willard; Abner Chase (farmer and teacher) ; Edmund Chase (said to be the oldest Mason in the county ) and son, Joseph W .; Charles Moody, his son, Charles, and John Foss ; Charles Atkin- son succeeds his father, Charles, on same farm ; Joshua F. Sawyer succeeds his father, M. P. Sawyer. Minot Corner. - William Hackett and Edward Hackett; Daniel Freeman ; Nathan Downing and son, N. P. Downing ; Mr Bartlett, a worthy man, who raised large crops of corn, and always sold it for
788
HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.
just one dollar a bushel and no more, regardless of the market price.1 Mechanic Falls. - Lorenzo Merrill, George and William, his sons, made money on one of the best farms in town; Simon Pottle, son of Moses; Isaiah Perkins, who cleared up the land around the falls, and his son, Hiram ; Jacob Dwinal; Isaac Currier and son, J. W .; Jonathan G. Hawkes, a success- ful farmer on the best farm in Minot, his sons, Edward, Orrington W., and Silenus V., became merchants, Jesse Turner, now occupies the farm. Centre (now East ) Minot .- James E. Washburn, his own successor, and a success ; Marshall Washburn and his successor, S. J. M. Perkins; Stillman Shaw, farmer and politician ; E. N. Nelson, a leading orchardist, an officer of Maine Pomological Society, did much to improve varieties and the quality of orchards in this section. He married a daughter of Rev. Elijah Jones, and died in March, 1891.
1 Charles II. Martin, one of the agriculturists of Minot, is son of William H. and Mary (Harvey) Martin, and a native of Atkinson. He is a descendant of John Martin, the emigrant, who served as drum-major in the Revolutionary army, and, after the war, settled at Cape Elizabeth. Isaac Martin, grandfather of Charles H., was a paymaster in the War of 1812. Mr Martin served his country in the Civil War as a member of Co. D, 23d Me. He is a Methodist in his religious preferences, a Good Templar, a Patron of Husbandry, and has been master of Minot Centre Grange.
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCH.
JOSIAH A. BUCKNAM.
J I OSIAH APPLETON BUCKNAM, son of Calvin and Zilpha (Barrows) Bucknam, was born March 21, 1821, on the ancestral acres in Hebron, and lived on the homestead, working on the farm and in mills during his minority. His education was attendance at summer schools until he was nine years old, at winter schools until he was 19, and one term at Hebron Academy. He taught the school of fifty scholars in his home district the winter before he was of age, receiving $13 a month, and later taught in the Chase district and other schools with success. The next summer he went to Massachusetts and earned $63 by three months' labor in a brick-yard. Before he was of age he had acquired some money in a peculiar way. The man from whom he was named gave him a dog; trading it for a sheep, he put this out to double, and the increase by repeated doublings produced from $80 to $90. This thrifty accumulation reveals the strong business element in Mr Bucknam, and it was in the nature of things that, May 16, 1843, he should take his limited capital to Portland and purchase dry goods to fill an old-fashioned one-horse peddler's cart, which he drove that season, through Cumberland and
Need help finding more records? Try our genealogical records directory which has more than 1 million sources to help you more easily locate the available records.