USA > Maine > Androscoggin County > History of Androscoggin County, Maine > Part 90
Note: The text from this book was generated using artificial intelligence so there may be some errors. The full pages can be found on Archive.org (link on the Part 1 page).
Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5 | Part 6 | Part 7 | Part 8 | Part 9 | Part 10 | Part 11 | Part 12 | Part 13 | Part 14 | Part 15 | Part 16 | Part 17 | Part 18 | Part 19 | Part 20 | Part 21 | Part 22 | Part 23 | Part 24 | Part 25 | Part 26 | Part 27 | Part 28 | Part 29 | Part 30 | Part 31 | Part 32 | Part 33 | Part 34 | Part 35 | Part 36 | Part 37 | Part 38 | Part 39 | Part 40 | Part 41 | Part 42 | Part 43 | Part 44 | Part 45 | Part 46 | Part 47 | Part 48 | Part 49 | Part 50 | Part 51 | Part 52 | Part 53 | Part 54 | Part 55 | Part 56 | Part 57 | Part 58 | Part 59 | Part 60 | Part 61 | Part 62 | Part 63 | Part 64 | Part 65 | Part 66 | Part 67 | Part 68 | Part 69 | Part 70 | Part 71 | Part 72 | Part 73 | Part 74 | Part 75 | Part 76 | Part 77 | Part 78 | Part 79 | Part 80 | Part 81 | Part 82 | Part 83 | Part 84 | Part 85 | Part 86 | Part 87 | Part 88 | Part 89 | Part 90 | Part 91 | Part 92 | Part 93 | Part 94 | Part 95 | Part 96 | Part 97 | Part 98 | Part 99 | Part 100 | Part 101 | Part 102 | Part 103 | Part 104 | Part 105 | Part 106 | Part 107 | Part 108
735
TOWN OF POLAND.
This was between the Shaker villages, near the New Gloucester line. In 1797 Wentworth Ricker opened a public house at South Poland. In 1800 Daniel Jackson opened a public house near the foot of Range pond.
South Poland. - This place so blessed by Nature is now of world-extended fame. The healing waters from Poland Spring have relieved many apparently hopeless cases of disease in nearly all countries under the sun, and its reputa- tion has gone throughout all the earth. From the magic virtues of the water, the loveliness of the scenery, and the purity of the air at its elevation of over 800 feet above the sea, has been developed one of the wonders of modern time, a second Saratoga, where beauty, wealth, and fashion fill the halls and grounds of the palatial Poland Spring House during the charming summer season. Year by year the throng is larger; year by year the capacity of the immense hotels is more and more inadequate to accommodate the guests, and additions and extensions (colossal buildings in themselves) are erected to provide room for the ever-increasing demand. Here has grown up in 40 years, from a small country inn, as a result of the merits of Poland Spring water and the acumen and business ability of the Ricker family,1 one of the leading watering places of this land of famous summer resorts and hotels. In 1793 Eliphas Ring (the former owner of the Ricker farm, who, in joining the Shakers, had placed his property in the "common stock,") and the other Shakers exchanged their property for lands in Alfred, Jabez Ricker, of that town, becoming owner of the Poland lands, and with his sons, Samuel, Wentworth, and Joseph, moved here. Joseph Ricker was the first blacksmith of the town, and in 1797 Wentworth Ricker opened the first public house, now succeeded by the Mansion House. Wentworth Ricker died in 1837, his son, Hiram, succeeded him until 1872, and his sons are proprietors, 95 years after the opening of the house. It is doubtful if there is another instance in New England of so long a career of hotel-keeping in one family. The Mansion House, remodelled and refitted, is a thoroughly modern hotel. The Poland Spring House was built in 1876, changed and enlarged in 1881, 1884, 1887, 1889, and to its gigantic proportions large additions are now in progress. The
1 The Rickers of the United States sprang from George and Maturin Ricker from the Isle of Jersey George was brought to this country, in 1640, by a minister (Rev. John Reyner). After repaying his passage money, George in a few years earned enough to bring his younger brother, Maturin. They married, had large families, built garrison houses at Dover Point, N. H., and both were killed by Indians. The Poland Rickers are of the Maturiu branch. Maturin had a son Joseph, the father of Jabez, who was born 1742, and when 19 married a daughter of Deacon Samuel Wentworth of Berwick, Maine. They settled in Berwick, then in Sanford or Alfred, and in 1793 came to Poland. They had four sons and six daughters. They settled with their son, Wentworth, on the place upon which the famous spring is located; the sons, Samuel and Joseph, settling on adjoining farms. Joseph made all the nails used iu the original Mansion House, in 1796. They moved into this house in the spring of 1797, and it was opened as a public house by Wentworth Ricker, the sign bearing only his name. Wentworth married Mary Pottle. Children: Mary, Wentworth, Sophronia, Hiram, and Albert. Hiram Ricker, born Nov- ember 17, 1809, married Jeannette W., daughter of General Alvin Bolster, of Rumford. Children: Edward P., Alvin B., Cynthia E., Hiram W., Sarah L., and Jeannette M. Mrs Ricker died in 1883.
736
HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.
high altitude, the excellent drives and walks, the extensive and beautiful groves, the charming prospects, all add to the attractions of this lovely spot, and it is no wonder over $1,000,000 are now invested in this headquarters of summer tourists. The three sons of Hiram Ricker conduct the massive establishment as Hiram Ricker & Sons. E. P. Ricker, the manager, is one of the leading business men of the country. Poland Spring. - Range hill, formerly Ricker hill, is an elevation of gneiss belonging to the Laurentian divisions of azoic rock [see page 22], and with its mingling of porphyry and granite repre- sents the primal rock of the beginning of the continent. From a fissure in the bed of original gneiss, filled with an intrusion of this porphyritic rock, boils up from an unknown depth the pure and healing waters of Poland Spring. The aborigines knew of their virtues. Indian relics bespeaking different eras and different tribes have been found in proximity to the spring. The merits of this boon to humanity were discovered by Hiram Ricker in 1844, when by the use of the water he was cured of dyspepsia. In 1827 Wentworth Ricker had been cured of gravel while drinking freely of this spring, but never dreamed of the water being the curative agent. Even so far back as 1800, Joseph Ricker, while lying "hopelessly," as the physicians said, ill of a fever, was given water from this spring, and in a night his fever vanished, and "he lived 52 years afterwards." In 1859 other cures attracted attention, Dr E. Clark prescribed it with wonderful success in kidney diseases, and from that time its efficacy has been proven in thousands of cases. Its consumption is now nearly 400,000 gallons annually, double that of all the springs of Saratoga. The first barrel- ing and bottling house was built in 1877, and now one of the largest and best- equipped establishments of the kind in America is in operation. Poland water is powerfully diuretic, mildly cathartic, tonic and restorative ; is a most efficient remedy in dyspepsia, gout, rheumatism, stone, gravel, and all diseases of uric acid origin, Bright's disease, diabetes, etc., while as a table water it is unsur- passed. The spring is owned by Hiram Ricker & Sons.
The Shakers early introduced improved agriculture here, and the intelligent farmers were quick to follow their examples. Among the farmers of this part are A. G. Thurlow, J. I. Chipman, F. B. Shackford, and Charles G. Morrill.
MECHANICS FALLS,1 one of the loveliest and busiest of Maine's villages, is blessed not only with fine water privilege but with the best of rail connection. On the direct route of a great railroad line, and on the exact path of the trend of that line's traffic from the west to the seaboard, it is blessed with shipping facilities that cannot be secured in many other sections of the state. Since the Grand Trunk Railway pushed its great thoroughfare of travel, in 1848, directly through the heart of this village, its growth has been constant and steady, and cannot but help being so as long as the present live, earnest business men, or others like them, wield a controlling interest in the affairs.
1 See history of Mechanic Falls in Minot history.
737
TOWN OF POLAND.
The river as well as the railroad has been a great stimulator of growth for the town, and the rich soil and unsurpassed mercantile and manufacturing privileges have together worked in harmony to produce continuous and rapid expansion of business interests. These interests are paper manufacturing, corn packing, shoe-shops, machine-shops, briek-yards, manufacture of steam engines and boilers, carriage building, novelty turning, tool works, canned-goods establishments, clothing making, besides other lines of work. They disburse monthly and weekly large sums of money to the inhabitants, and are sources of great prosperity. They are the nucleus around which the life and enter- prise of the village center. These industries are constantly stretching out their arms in inducement for other business enterprises to locate in the village, and in this attempt they are ably seconded (and many times led) by the citizens. The fine water-power is of a character to admit of large develop- ment beyond the present utilization, and this fact gives reason for an increase of manufacturing. The Poland side is incorporated, the charter being adopted February 29, 1891, by 140 votes in favor to 55 against. The village officers elected were : A. E. True, C. L. Hackett, S. I. Jewett, assessors ; A. W. Butler, clerk ; D. B. Waterhouse, collector ; James Stanton, treasurer ; E. W. Jordan, Fred C. Chaplain, fire wardens.
PAPER-MAKING .- The first paper-making here was done by Ebenezer Drake and Ezra Mitchell, in their mill built in 1851 on the Minot side. Oliver B. Dwinal soon bought Mitchell's interest, and, with W. C. Dwinal, formed the firm of Drake, Dwinal & Co., which was sold to A. C. Denison & Co. in 1865. In 1851 Adna C. Denison & Co. (E. W. Fyler) bought one-half of the privilege at Upper Dam of Messrs Perkins, Dunham, Moore, and Waterhouse, and commenced Eagle mill, the first paper mill in Poland. This mill cost $45,000 and made a ton of paper of fine quality from rag pulp in 24 hours. In October, 1862, A. T. Denison bought out Fyler, and in 1863 machinery costing $65,000 was added to prepare and use straw stock. An enormous increase in product was made of this cheap paper, which was largely used by the Boston Herald, and soon the land and privilege at Lower Dam was bought, a dam and Star mill built (completed in 1865). In 1865, also, a new mill was built on the site of the Drake, Dwinal & Co. mill, and started up January 1, 1866. The " waste " made at the Lewiston cotton mills was here made into paper. In 1866 the Poland pulp-mill on Lower Dam, and the stone dam and finmes on Upper Dam, were built; the mills and privilege at Range pond, with right of flowage, were purchased, and a stone reservoir dam constructed, and a legislative charter obtained granting control of the water. The calender mill was also built, and machine, carpenter, and other shops. In 1873 the Denison Paper Manufacturing Company was organized and incorporated with $500,000 capital; Adna C. and Adna T. Denison and Mrs C. M. Cram, stockholders. In 1879 and 1880 the chemical pulp mill in Canton was built to furnish its product of
738
HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.
10 tons of wood pulp daily for the Poland mills. This company was the first to make paper wholly from wood, which it first did in 1880. The Denison Paper Manufacturing Company ceased operations in 1887 and its extensive works passed into other hands who formed a new corporation - Poland Paper Company.
Poland Paper Company .- This corporation, under the personal attention of Charles R. Milliken,1 one of the leading financiers of Maine, has a gigantic industry in operation here. The plant consists of the entire water-power of the Little Androscoggin (over 2,000 horse-power every 24 hours), supplemented by that of Range pond ; several large paper, calender, and other mills, machine shops, hotel, tenement houses, and other buildings, in all covering five acres of ground, and a large pulp mill at Canton. From 175 to 200 people are employed, from 18 to 20 tons of rag and pulp are used daily, and average monthly shipments made valued at $50,000.2 The bulk of the business of the Grand Trunk at this place comes from this company, causing its revenue to be larger here than at any other point between Portland and Montreal. In 1891 over half a mile of railroad was built from the Grand Trunk below the village into the yard. The stock of the company is capitalized at $300,000. Officers: Arthur Sewall, of Bath, president ; C. R. Milliken, of Portland, clerk and treas- urer; Arthur Sewall, James Munroe, George C. Wing, W. S. Dana, W. G. Davis, W. H. Milliken, Frank D. True, directors; C. H. Milliken, superintendent.
Evans Rifle Co .- In 1871 this company commenced operations, and in 1873 the Denison Paper Manufacturing Co. owned the stock and made several thousand rifles and carbines. The Russian Flying Squadron, organized in America, was entirely armed with these arms. A. T. Denison and G. F. Evans exhibited the arms before a military commission in St Petersburg, which advised their adoption by the Russian government. In 1878 the plant was moved to Massachusetts.
" The Elms " was built by A. C. Denison & Co. in 1859 as Eagle Hotel, cost $7,000, and is owned by Poland Paper Co. Its first landlord was Davis. He was followed by one Pierce. Prescott R. Cobb kept it from 1866 to 1868; others then kept it for brief times; later, A. C. Denison occupied it as a residence. In 1887 II. S. Jordan opened it as The Elms. He was succeeded in 1891 by A. V. Edie.
1 Hugh Milliken, the Scotch emigrant, came to Boston about 1650. His son, John, settled in Scar- borough in 1690, and had sons: John, Edward, Samuel, Nathaniel. Benjamin, a descendant of this family, lived in North Yarmouth and Buckfield. His son, Josiah, lived in Buckfield, Minot, and Poland, and had sons: Weston F., William H., Charles R., Seth M., George. Weston F. was in trade in Minot from 1852 to 1856, and later was prominent in public, commercial, and financial positions in Portland. With his brother he formed the firm of W. F. & C. R. Milliken. C. R. Milliken is treasurer of the Portland Rolling Mill and proprietor of the Glen House, White Mountains, N. H.
2 The paper for this volume was made by the Poland Paper Company .
739
TOWN OF POLAND.
Mechanic Falls Driving Park Association. - For many years an interest has been felt in the improvement of horses in Poland, and a track was made and used before the Civil War. No organization was made until 1883 or 1884, when this association was formed "to encourage husbandry, fairs, and improvement of stock." There were ten original members : C. H. Dwinal, F. E. Dwinal, J. M. Libby, P. A. Jordan, S. D. Jordan, M. H. Nelson, James M. Nason, Thomas Marcotte, P. R. Cobb, William Greenleaf. C. H. Milliken soon took the place of the latter, and N. Q. Pope, John Hanscom. Luther Perkins, and others have been made honorary members. Twenty acres of land below the village, where the old track was made, was leased and a good half-mile track made, and stalls, etc., erected, and exhibitions and fairs have been held. The officers are C. H. Dwinal, president; P. R. Cobb, secre- tary and treasurer; F. E. Dwinal, S. D. Jordan, Luther Perkins, directors.
Denison Block was built, in 1870, by A. C. Denison & Co., cost $12,000, and is owned by the Poland Paper Co. D. B. Holt, Son & Co. at once com- menced trade. In 1873 Mr Holt sold his interest to A. C. Denison & Co. McCann Bros followed them in 1874, and from July, 1875, until 1891, Isaac A. Denison was in trade as a grocer here.
M. N. Royal &. Co. manufacturers and wholesale and retail dealers in confectionery, stationery, etc., do an immense business. The chocolate manu- factory was established in 1884 by M. N. Royal. It is the only one in Maine. He began to make candy the same year. His first factory was in the buildings of the Evans Rifle Co. In July, 1885, he removed to Lincoln Block.
Poland Packing and Manufacturing Co. - This company was inaugurated by J. W. Jones near the "red bridge " in 1873. He conducted it until 1886. In 1890 John Hanscom purchased the property, put up suitable buildings, introduced improved machinery, and is doing an extensive business, with a capacity of packing 25,000 cans daily.
The Mechanic Falls Ledger. - (See page 286.) 3 The publishing, electro- typing, and printing establishment of Poole Brothers is one of the enterprising houses of the county. The business was originated in 1874 by Henry A. Poole. In 1885 George W. Poole became a partner, forming the present firm. They are of Scotch descent, sons of Albion and Eliza (Gould) Poole, and natives of Waterford. Henry A. married Ida M. Goodrich, of Eliot; George W. married Addie E. Hanson, of Brentwood, N. H. Poole Bros have a fine plant, with facilities for a large business, print books for city publishers, and, in 1890, published a finely-illustrated " History of Poland." To their courtesy we are indebted for a liberal use of its contents.
Edward F. Edgecomb has a model job printing office in one of the Poland Paper Co.'s buildings. He makes specialties of fine commercial printing, elegant novelties, and artistic job work.
.
740
HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.
Physicians. - Dr Moses R. Pulsifer1 was the first to locate, and remained until Dr J. M. Eveleth came in 1858. Dr D. W. Sawyer came in 1862, and in 1865 was succeeded by Dr C. L. Holt, who sold to Dr E. F. Bradford in 1870. Dr Ayer was here in 1872, H. D. Torrey in 1875. In 1873 Dr Henry Waters came, and at his death (1875) was succeeded by his brother, Dr William Waters (homoeopath). From 1875 to 1888 Dr A. L. Gaubert was in practice. Dr E. C. Heath (homeopath) came and was in practice until his death in 1889. Dr A. D. Bowman (homoeopath) is now in practice.
Photographers, Etc .- Dimon B. Perry had a gallery here from 1862 to 1871. C. S. Gurney succeeded him, and was followed by others. In 1886 the present artistic photographer, O. C. Bridge, became proprietor.
Watches and Jewelry. - Zenas Lane has been in trade from 1865.
S. S. Waterhouse has kept a general store in the Railroad Store, west of the Grand Trunk, since January, 1889. This store was built and opened as a flour and feed store in 1860 by Isaac D. Cushman. In 1862 Frank Danforth bought it for a dry goods and grocery store. He sold in 1865 to Pulsifer & Lane; the latter sold in 1867 to D. B. Waterhouse, and in 1870 Pulsifer sold to Edward Thurston. Thurston &. Waterhouse traded until 1880, when D. B. Waterhouse became sole owner until he sold to S. S. Waterhouse.
Cabinet making was conducted from 1841 by Lowell Valentine, Nelson Val- entine, R. L. McPherson, William Eldredge. D. S. Perkins, Perry & Merrill, and from 1868 to 1883 by D. B. Perry. From 1865 to 1880 quite a business was done in brick-making a short distance out on the Poland road, first by Fessenden & Morrill, and later by Thurston & Waterhouse.
Andrew J. Weston commenced business as contractor and builder in 1878. Hle employs several men and deals largely in lumber, sash, doors, blinds, etc.
George O. Goodwin &. Co. erected a lumber mill on the Orrin Dwinal lot in 1887. Their power is a 40-horse-power steam engine. They cut dimension, long and short lumber, etc., and produce from 1,000,000 to 1,500,000 feet annually.
1 Dr Moses Rust Pulsifer, grandson of David and son of Jonathan, was the first young man of Poland educated as a physician. He was born in Poland, October 9, 1799; died at Ellsworth, January 27, 1877. He married, first, Mary S., oldest child of Hon. Josiah Dunn. Of their 12 children eight survive: Maj. Josialı D .; Dr Nathan G. H., president of People's Bank, Waterville; Reuben D., farmer, Stetson; Augustus M., Auburn; Dr Horatio B., Auburn; Dr Thomas B., Yarmouth, Mass .; Caroline (Mrs B. F. Crocker), Hyannis, Mass .; Ella D. (Mrs Frederic Matthews), Yarmouth, Mass. Dr Pulsifer married, second, Mary L. Berry, of Ellsworth. Children: Georgia (who married Dr Charles Porter), and Charles L. Dr Pulsifer was educated at Hebron Academy, Dartmouth, and Bowdoin, and was graduated at Bowdoin in 1822. He practiced at Eden, Sullivan, Minot, Poland, Mount Desert, and St Stephens, N. B. He later attended medical lectures in New York and Phila- delphia, and practiced homœopathy in Ellsworth. He was devoted to his profession and had a large practice; was an honest and earnest man, an enthusiastic advocate of abstinence from liquor and tobacco, and lived a long, laborious, and useful life.
741
TOWN OF POLAND.
CHAPTER XLIII.
Congregational Churches - Universalist Church - Methodist Episcopal Church - Free Will Baptist Churches - Adventism - Shakers - Baptist Church - Gleanings from Town Records - Civil List.
T HE FIRST CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH, Poland Corner.1 November 1, 1825, a council of Congregational ministers and delegates assembled at a school- house to organize a Congregational church. Rev. Edward Payson, D.D., of Portland, Rev. Percy Chapin of Pownal, Rev. Elijah Jones of Minot, Rev. Elisha Moseley of New Gloucester, Rev. J. G. Merrill of Otisfield, were present with delegates. After the reading of the confession of faith, etc., the church was organized with these members : George Waterhouse, Jabez Ricker, Daniel Waterman, Zenas Cobb, Mary Ricker, Elizabeth Bailey, Dorcas Cobb, Abagail Waterman, Elizabeth Lane, and Hannah Allen. Public services were held in the afternoon at the town house at the Corner. The first services were at the meeting-house on the Plains. The Lord's Supper was first administered November 8, 1825, by Rev. Elisha Jones. 25 persons were admitted to member- ship the first year. Zenas Cobb was the first moderator. James P. Richardson was ordained August 16, 1826. During the first six months 35 persons were received into the church. Among them were Moses Harris, Daniel Harris, Levi Bailey, Ephraim Harris, Edward Ross, Daniel Pierce, John Cousens, John Nevens, and Jacob Rowe. In May, 1827, Daniel Waterman and Levi Bailey were chosen first deacons. May 30, 1827, the new meeting-house at Poland Corner was dedicated. Sermon by the pastor. Rev. Messrs Greely, Stowe, Jones, Peckham, and Long assisted. The building was a substantial one. The pews were made of the finest pine lumber; were unpainted, and remained so until the renovation in Mr Emrich's time. The pulpit was "fearfully and wonderfully made." It was high, with a door to shut in the minister. The years 1830-31 were memorable for a revival. September 14, 1833, Rev. Mr Richardson resigned. Rev. Charles R. Fisk next received a call from this church, with a salary of $350. Mr Fisk was installed May 27, 1834. He remained a year. Rev. Thomas Williams was next pastor ; salary $400. He was installed October 18, 1835. May, 1837, Dr Eleazer Burbank and Daniel Pierce were chosen deacons. 1839 was blessed by a "gracious revival." In 1840 a branch church was organized at Mechanic Falls. At this time, accord- ing to Rev. F. E. Emrich, "through the perseverance of John Cousens,
1 Condensed from sketch in Poole Bros' " History of Poland."
742
HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.
Edward Little, of Auburn, gave to the First Congregational Church of Poland a piece of land, which was sold for $1,000, the interest of which was to be appropriated for the support of the Congregational parish in the town of Poland. The wise foresight of the fathers has helped their children in perpetu- ating the institutions of a Congregational society." Mr Williams continued pastor here until his death. In 1847 Rev. Stephen Gould became pastor, and remained until his death. Mr Gould seems to have been the latest settled pastor, Rev. L. W. Harris supplying in 1860 half the time. Since that date the Congregational ministers of Mechanic Falls have supplied here, the Rev. F. E. Emrich doing efficient service. Several united with the church through his labors. By his active services the meeting-house was remodelled, the old pulpit replaced by a modern desk, new pews, a steeple and bell added, and the church re-furnished. Rev. C. A. White, the latest acting pastor, was faithful and earnest in his work.
Mechanic Falls Congregational Church .- W. W. Waterman says, in " History of Poland," that this church was organized as a branch of the " Congregational Church in Poland " by an ecclesiastical council at the house of Mr John Valentine, June 15, 1840, with these members: John Valentine, Charlotte Valentine, Joseph H. Hall, Sophia Hall, Salmon Hackett, Laurana Hackett, Samuel Chandler, Lowell and Nelson Valentine, Mrs Pamelia Foss, and Mrs Nancy P. Alden. This branch of the church was to be under the care of Rev. Thomas Williams, then pastor of the church in Poland, and could preach alternate Sabbaths at Poland Corner and Mechanic Falls. The first preaching service was held at the old school-house on the Minot side of the river, July 12, 1840. About this time a few individuals joined in erecting the vestry on the south side of the meeting-house lot, which was a gift to the society by Mr John Valentine. The vestry was dedicated December 30, 1841. It was used for high and singing schools, lectures, etc., until about 1850, when it was moved away. November 9, 1842, the branch church became an independent society, and Rev. Nathan Cobb became its first pastor, and continued to be the nominal pastor of the church (not preaching all the time) up to August 12, 1847, when he was dismissed at his request; and on the same day and by the same council, Rev. Enos Merrill was installed. Mr Merrill was dismissed, at his own request, August 10, 1855. He was noted for faithfulness as a pastor and fine scholarship. Rev. William N. Jordan came next, remained till January, 1859, when he was succeeded by Rev. Horatio Illsley, who preached till July, 1862; he was succeeded by Rev. Joseph Kyte. Mr Kyte was installed September 25, 1862, and remained till 1864. The pulpit was then supplied by Revs George W. Campbell, E. T. Borchers, F. M. Davies, A. C. Herrick, E. S. Jordan, H. Whitcher, R. J. Langradge, and Professors Stanley, Hayes, and Angell. Rev. F. E. Emrich commenced preaching April 1, 1874, was installed July 25, 1877, and dismissed August 27, 1882. Rev.
Need help finding more records? Try our genealogical records directory which has more than 1 million sources to help you more easily locate the available records.