USA > Maine > Androscoggin County > History of Androscoggin County, Maine > Part 45
Note: The text from this book was generated using artificial intelligence so there may be some errors. The full pages can be found on Archive.org (link on the Part 1 page).
Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5 | Part 6 | Part 7 | Part 8 | Part 9 | Part 10 | Part 11 | Part 12 | Part 13 | Part 14 | Part 15 | Part 16 | Part 17 | Part 18 | Part 19 | Part 20 | Part 21 | Part 22 | Part 23 | Part 24 | Part 25 | Part 26 | Part 27 | Part 28 | Part 29 | Part 30 | Part 31 | Part 32 | Part 33 | Part 34 | Part 35 | Part 36 | Part 37 | Part 38 | Part 39 | Part 40 | Part 41 | Part 42 | Part 43 | Part 44 | Part 45 | Part 46 | Part 47 | Part 48 | Part 49 | Part 50 | Part 51 | Part 52 | Part 53 | Part 54 | Part 55 | Part 56 | Part 57 | Part 58 | Part 59 | Part 60 | Part 61 | Part 62 | Part 63 | Part 64 | Part 65 | Part 66 | Part 67 | Part 68 | Part 69 | Part 70 | Part 71 | Part 72 | Part 73 | Part 74 | Part 75 | Part 76 | Part 77 | Part 78 | Part 79 | Part 80 | Part 81 | Part 82 | Part 83 | Part 84 | Part 85 | Part 86 | Part 87 | Part 88 | Part 89 | Part 90 | Part 91 | Part 92 | Part 93 | Part 94 | Part 95 | Part 96 | Part 97 | Part 98 | Part 99 | Part 100 | Part 101 | Part 102 | Part 103 | Part 104 | Part 105 | Part 106 | Part 107 | Part 108
Pine Street Free Baptist Church. - The constituent members of this church, consisting of 52 persons, were dismissed from the Main Street Free Baptist church, and organized, January 3, 1869, by a council consisting of Rev. O. B. Cheney, D.D., Prof. B. F. Hayes, of Bates College, and Rev. John A. Lowell, pastor of the Main Street Free Baptist church. These persons constituted the church at its organization: Rev. J. S. Burgess, Mrs Laura A. Burgess, Rev. Gideon Perkins, Mrs Gideon Perkins, Roland E. Patterson, Mrs R. E. Patterson, D. B. Sanderson, Mrs D. B. Sanderson, S. E. Buker, Mrs S. E. Buker, Noah Litchfield, Benjamin P. Lowell, Mrs Benjamin P. Lowell, James R. Blaisdell, Mrs James R. Blaisdell, Caleb Gilbert, Mrs Caleb Gilbert, Henry N. Eastman, Mrs Henry N. Eastman, Ezekiel Wakefield, Mrs Ezekiel Wakefield, Thomas D. Thorne, James Wood, Edward Clark, Mrs Edward Clark, Lewis W. Pitman, Mrs Lewis W. Pitman, William Hersey, Henry A. Chanell, Mrs Henry A. Chanell, Mrs Drusilla Swift, Mrs Orinda Squirs, Miss Emma J. Caston, Mrs Carolina Phillips, Mrs Mary Whittemore, Mrs Araxsenie Rowell, Miss Lizzie Brackett, Mrs Laura Thorne, Mrs Julia French, Mrs Olive Turner, Mrs Laura J. Webster, Mrs Sarah C. Litchfield, Mrs Lucinda E. Lane, Mrs Mary L. Mitchell, Mrs Hulda Cole, Miss Eliza Bickford, Miss Lydia Small, Miss Sarah E. Sawyer, Miss Arvesta Towle, Miss Sarah Pettengill. They worshiped in Lisbon Hall until the completion of their house of worship in December, 1869. This neat church edifice is located on Pine street, corner of Blake, and was dedicated December 9, 1869, by the pastor, Rev. J. S. Burgess, assisted by Rev. Gideon Perkins, a member of the church; Rev. W. H. Bowen, of the Main Street Free Baptist church; Rev. U. Balkam, of the Pine Street Congregational church; and Rev. E. M. Haynes, of the First Baptist church. The house is a plain and substantial wooden structure, with a basement which is occupied as a vestry and lecture-room, and cost the society $14,000.
The church was fortunate in securing the services of Rev. J. S. Burgess, so long the pastor of Main Street Free Baptist church. Mr Burgess commenced his labors October 1, 1869, and remained as pastor until December 31, 1875. Mr Burgess's pastorate was marked with his usual success, and his resignation caused deep regret. Rev. Richard L. Howard, the second pastor, was a native of New York, and had been pastor in Fairfort for three years. His pastorate commenced here in May, 1876, and closed in January, 1879. He was
376
HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.
succeeded by Rev. A. C. Hogben, in February, 1879, who resigned in February, 1880. Rev. John B. Jordan, the fourth pastor, was born in Auburn, and was licensed to preach June 11, 1878. He commenced to supply this pulpit in February, 1880, and was ordained as pastor of the church May 22, 1882. His pastorate, which was a very successful one, closed September 1, 1883. Mr O. L. Gile, a student at the Cobb Divinity School, supplied the pulpit from Septem- ber, 1883, to September, 1885. Rev. William J. Twort, the fifth pastor, came from Canton, and commenced his work as pastor in March, 1886, and closed his labors in September, 1889, to accept the pastorate of the Free Baptist church in Lynn, Mass. The present pastor, Rev. S. A. Blaisdell, came from Bath, and was publicly installed January 31, 1890. The services were by the elergymen of Lewiston and Auburn, viz .: Prayer, by Rev. C. C. Tilley, of the First Baptist church; sermon, by Rev. Martyn Summerbell, D.D., of the Main Street Free Baptist church; installing prayer, by Rev. A. S. Ladd, of the High Street Methodist church, Auburn; right-hand of fellowship, by Prof. B. F. Hayes, D.D., of Bates College; charge to the pastor, by Rev. T. H. Stacy, Free Baptist church, Auburn; charge to church, by Rev. F. S. Root, of the High Street Congregational church, Auburn; welcome to the city, by Rev. G. M. Howe, of Pine Street Congregational church; welcome in behalf of church, by Prof. J. A. Howe, D.D., of Cobb Divinity School.
The Hammond Street Methodist Church. - This church was organized in June, 1870, with these members: Samuel R. Bearce, Betsey Bearce, William Robinson, Abbie P. Robinson, Joel Nevens, Julia Nevens, Warren S. Butler, Eliza M. Butler, Joshua G. Richardson, Maria S. Richardson, William G. Richardson, A. J. Aiken, Sarah C. Aiken, Lizzie S. Abbott, and Etta J. Rob- inson. It now has a membership of about 150. Rev. H. B. Abbott, who for five years had been pastor of the Park Street Methodist church, was appointed pastor of the church and commenced his labors the first Sabbath in June, 1870. He closed his pastorate in May, 1873. The society worshiped in the old Baptist church on Main street, corner of Lisbon, until the early part of 1876, when their church edifice was completed. It was commenced in the spring of 1875, and is situated on the easterly side of Hammond street. The erection of a suitable house of worship for the convenience of the society had been a subject of discussion for some time, but no definite arrangements had been perfected until this year. Mr Samuel R. Bearce, who had been one of the original promoters in the organization of the church, and its principal patron, gave the lot on which the house is built, and also gave towards its con- struetion the sum of $10,000. This munificent gift encouraged the society, though small, to commence their present house of worship. The church has a basement which is used as a vestry, over which is the audience room, neatly and tastily finished, capable of seating about 500. The exterior is of wood, with pleasing design and finish. The whole cost was not far from $18,000, and
377
CITY OF LEWISTON.
it was dedicated January 24, 1876, by Bishop Foster. Rev. Messrs E. Martin, the presiding elder of the district, S. F. Wetherbee, the pastor, A. S. Ladd, N. C. Clifford, and other members of the ministry of the denomination were present.
Rev. D. W. LeLacheur was appointed as a supply in 1873, and in 1874 was appointed as pastor. Rev. S. F. Wetherbee was appointed to the pastorate of the church in 1875, and remained three years. Rev. J. Benson Hamilton was appointed to the charge in 1878 and was continued for three years. In 1881 Rev. A. S. Ladd was pastor. He was followed in 1882 by Rev. W. S. McIntire. Rev. Roscoe Sanderson was pastor for three years commencing with 1883; Rev. C. L. Libby in 1886, and re-appointed in 1887. Mr Libby left the conference quite early in the year, removed to Utah, and is serving the denomination as a missionary. His place was supplied for the remainder of the year by Mr William B. Dukeshire, a student at Kent's Hill. Rev. Perry Chandler came here in 1888 and remained as pastor for three years. Rev. J. A. Corey, the present pastor, was appointed to the pastorate of the church in May, 1891. Only two of the pastors of the church have died: Rev. H. B. Abbott, whose death is mentioned in the sketch of Park Street church, and Rev. S. F. Wetherbee, who died April 24, 1890. Mr Wetherbee was born in Harvard, Mass., January 23, 1815. He entered the Maine Conference in 1845, and served in quite a number of the most important charges in the Maine and East Maine Conferences.
St .Joseph's Catholic ( Irish) Church. - The first Catholic service in Lewiston was held at the house of P. McGillicuddy, Esq., in June, 1850, by Rev. Charles McCollion, of Portsmouth, N. H. Mr McGillicuddy's house was on the old street leading from Main street down the river, and near where the Continental Mills are situated. The building had been a school-house, but was purchased May 1, 1850, by Mr McGillicuddy, and converted into a dwelling-house. Subsequently meetings were held by Father McCollion in the Bates. dye-house, the Cowan Mill, as well as in several other places. Father McCollion continued to visit Lewiston at regular intervals, once in four weeks, until worship was established in the chapel formerly occupied by the First Baptist church, on Lincoln street. The Catholics bought the chapel of the Franklin Company. The chapel was provided with settees, but these were removed and the Catholics purchased the pews, 52 in number, in the Old South Baptist meeting- house, and had them set up in the chapel.
It was during Father McCollion's ministry that Miss Augusta A. Davis, daughter of Deacon Stephen Davis, of this city, and a teacher in the high school, became interested in the moral and religious welfare of the Irish children, and established a Sabbath school for their instruction, which was held for the most of the time in the high school building. Miss Davis received the co-operation of Father McCollion and the leading Catholics, as well as many
·
378
HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.
of the Protestants of the place. Miss Davis married Rev. Joseph K. Greene, and for more than thirty years has been a missionary in Turkey, being located at Constantinople.
Subsequently Rev. Peter Mclaughlin, of Bath, held services here one-half of the time. He was succeeded by Rev. Thomas Kenney, whose time was equally divided between Lewiston and Biddeford. Rev. John Cullin was the first Catholic clergyman permanently located here, and remained about two years. He was succeeded by Rev. Daniel Wheelon, whose ministry occupied nearly six years. Rev. J. A. T. Durnin was the immediate successor of Father Wheelon, and remained 16 months. Rev. Michael Lucy came here in October, 1862. The church, St Joseph's, located on Main street, was built under the immediate direction of Father Lucy. The corner-stone was laid with appropriate ceremonies, June 13, 1864, Bishop Bacon, of Portland, officiating. The foundation was completed in the autumn of that year, and the building finished in 1867. The church cost $55,000. Rev. Clement Mutsaers succeeded Father Lucy as pastor of the church.
Rev. T. H. Wallace assumed charge of the church in August, 1876. During his ministry of 15 years he has done a marked work for St Joseph's church. It is now one of the strongest churches of the denomination in the state. Besides his ordinary church work he has superintended the building of the new church, St Patrick's, on Bates street, facing the park. It was com- menced in the spring of 1887, and the outside completed that year, and is now ready for occupancy. It is one of the finest church edifices in the state, all of its appointments being in the best and most approved style. It has magnificent windows of stained glass, and the altars are of superior design and workman- ship. Connected with the church is the chapel, having an entrance from Walnut street, capable of seating 500 persons. The main building is about 180 x 65 feet, with a seating capacity for 1,000 persons. The whole cost of the church is not far from $78,000. The lot, which is one of the most desirable in the city, cost $25,000.
St Peter's Catholic ( French) Church. - The first service held by the French Catholics was at the chapel (Irish) on Lincoln street, on July 2, 1870, by Rev. Edward Leternearn, who remained until October, 1871. He was succeeded by Rev. Peter Hevey, who held his first service October 11, 1871. October 22, Father Hevey addressed his congregation on the importance of the erection of a house of worship, to which the society responded with marked enthusiasm. A lot was first purchased on Bates, corner of Ash street, but was soon abandoned, and the lot on Bartlett street secured instead. The corner-stone of the new church edifice was laid July 7, 1872, in the presence of Bishop Bacon. The church was dedicated May 14, 1873, Bishop Bacon conducting the services. The building is of the Gothic style of architecture, and is built of brick with granite trimmings. It will seat 1,500 persons and cost $75,000.
379
CITY OF LEWISTON.
Father Hevey was succeeded by Rev. A. Mothon, the present pastor. The assistant pastors are Reverends B. Charmont, T. H. Morard, A. Maricourt, P. Duchaussoy, and R. Grolleau.
Schools. - Previous to 1795 the schools were undoubtedly conducted by private contributions. Tradition furnishes all the information we have of the schools. Daniel Davis, who came in 1777, taught for several winters in his house, and his brother Amos, who came earlier, was probably employed in teaching. Amos Davis built, it is said, a small house for Mrs Poor, his relative, near the residence of Daniel B. Jones on Sabatis street, probably as early as 1780, in which she taught school for a number of years. Dan Read, Esq., who came in 1788, was a school-teacher for several years. Noah Litchfield, who came in 1792, was employed in teaching. In the north part of the town John Chandler also taught, a part of the time, for nearly 10 years. In 1791 Mr David Gross taught in James Garcelon's house at "Garcelon's Ferry," and Mrs Thomas Mitchell taught in the west end of the Mitchell log house about 1793. Mr Mitchell lived on the farm formerly owned and occupied by Colonel William Garcelon, and now owned by Captain Silas B. Osgood. Benning Wentworth taught in Mr Mitchell's house in 1799 and 1800 ; and Dr Barrett also taught in a small room in one end of James Ames's black- smith shop. Nearly all were private schools, supported by voluntary con- tributions, and were maintained for a long time after 1795. At the first town meeting, held April, 1795, it was voted to raise £60 for schools. May 6th, " voted to accept the districts as the Select men have Laid them out for school- ing." It was also " voted the Maj'r Part of Each District Should have power to Lay their money out as they See proper Either in Schools or building a house for that Purpose." The town was divided into six "Classes" or " Dis- tricts," and a " Collector " or " head " chosen for each. First Class .- Nathan Cutler was elected collector, comprising the northern part of the town. Second Class .- Abner Harris was collector, embracing what is now the city proper. Third Class .- Joel Thompson was collector, now known as Rose Hill district. Fourth Class .- Ezra Randall was elected collector, the Thorne district. Fifth Class .- Isaac Cotton, now the Clough district. Sixth Class .- William Garce- lon was elected collector, at Garcelon's Ferry.
By authority granted by the town, district No. 3 built a school-house in 1795, on the farm of Deacon Josiah Mitchell, opposite the house of Deacon Stephen Davis, the first in town. It served not only for a school-house, but for a town-house, and meeting-house for the Baptist church for nearly a quarter of a century. After several changes in the boundaries of the district, it was removed to Rose Hill, where it remained until the present school-house was erected in 1856. Subsequently it was sold to Horace B. Bartlett and removed to Orange street. It was torn down a few years since. The annual town meeting for 1796 was held in this house, and these appropriations made for
380
HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.
building new school-houses: First class, Nathan Cutler, head, $166.67; second class, Noah Litchfield, head, $100; third elass, Robert Anderson, head, $183.33; fourth class, Samuel Thorne, head, $50; fifth class, Isaac Cotton, head, $40; sixth class, Ezra Purinton, head, $100; seventh class, Ezra Randall, head, $66.66. The town also raised $100 for the support of schools. In 1797 $100 was raised for schools, and the usual school officers -" Heads" -elected. District No. 7 was probably discontinued. The first district was authorized to expend their school money in completing the school-house which they commenced the previous year. District No. 2 commenced a school-house in 1797, but the town, April 1, 1797, refused to raise money towards its comple- tion; but in 1801 the district voted to build, selected a site, and chose a building committee. In March, 1802, the building committee decided to build "brick and mortar," but for some cause the enterprise failed, and the school-house was not built until 1804, and then of wood. This was the fifth in town, school-houses having been built in No. 4 in 1802, and in No. 8 in 1803.
About 1802 Richard D. Harris came and commenced teaching. Mr Harris was a very energetic as well as a very enthusiastic teacher, and infused new life and vigor into our schools, but it did not assume a permanent form, for they lapsed into their former methods. Year after year the town voted money for schools, gradually increasing the sum, but not in proportion to the increase of population, until 1831, when $700 was voted. Previously the interest in education had somewhat advanced and private schools were opened in several Rev. parts of the town, under the direction of competent instructors. Benjamin Thorne, William Bond, and Aaron D. Thorne taught with unusual success and acquired more than an ordinary reputation as instructors of youth. During the decade previous to 1850 little progress was made in our schools. No one was especially interested in placing before the people the importance of appropriating more money for their support, or furnishing better accom- modations. The school-houses, as a rule, were poor, and constructed by persons having meagre knowledge of proper school buildings, and who knew as little how they ought to be furnished. In 1847 Rev. George Knox located here, and soon after commenced teaching private schools. He had progressive views of school work and soon won the confidence of the community, as well as the town, as a prudent and wise educator. He was soon placed on the school committee and afterwards elected supervisor, and could usually carry any appropriation he asked for. Under his supervision there was an advance not only in the village, but throughout the rural portions of the town. In 1841 district No. 2, the village district, was divided, and that portion lying next the river was constituted a district by itself, and called No. 16; but in 1850 this district was united with No. 2.
During the summer of 1850 a two-story school-house was built in the village district, and a high school established under the direction of George W.
381
CITY OF LEWISTON.
Jewett, a teacher of much experience and rare ability. Mr Jewett remained about two years. From this date the schools in the village assumed new life, and their progress has been constant. They are now justly recognized as among the best in the state. In 1860 this district was authorized by act of the legislature, approved March 6, to choose three directors, who were invested with all the authority of school agents, and school committee, or supervisor. They were to determine the number of grades of schools and the number of schools in each grade, to classify the scholars, and to expend the money apportioned by the town to the district for the support of schools. The inhabitants were authorized to adopt by-laws and regulations, not contrary to the constitution and laws of the state for the regulation of the schools. This was the first substantial movement for a system of graded schools. The two small schools in 1850 have become 21 primaries, 8 intermediates, with a two years' course, a grammar school of ten classes with a four years' course, a high school having a four years' course with three courses of study, viz., an English, English classical, and college preparatory. Many of the school-houses are models in design, in architectural beauty and finish, as well as the character and style of the furniture. By a special act of the legislature in 1864, the district system was abolished and the town system adopted. For more than a quarter of a century this method has been tried with marked success. The great advantage which has grown out of this system is especially recognized in the rural schools of the city. These schools, whether large or small, have the same number of terms and generally the same number of weeks, are provided with better teachers, have an improved course of study, and many of the scholars have been prepared for and have entered the high school and have graduated with credit to themselves as well as the school. All scholars of the city are admitted free who have the necessary qualifications.
In 1872 the school board were authorized to supply each pupil with text- books and school appliances free. Since that time our schools have been free indeed. Everything needed in the school-room, from the sub-primary to the high school, is furnished by the city and paid for with the money appropriated for this purpose. Besides the schools already mentioned, there has been in successful operation the most of the time for 20 years a Normal Training School, where young ladies, mostly graduates of the high school, have had the advantages, under the direction of a skillful and experienced teacher, of training in the best methods of instruction and in school economy. Unques- tionably, this school has had much to do with the present high standard of the Lewiston schools. Every teacher enters the school-room with a commendable knowledge of the best methods of instruction recognized by the best educators in the country. Nor are they novices in teaching, for they have had a year's experience, and some of them more, under the instruction of a competent teacher, for this school unites the theory as well as the practice of teaching.
382
HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.
The school board consists of 14 members, two from each ward in the city, one of whom is elected at the annual meeting in March for the term of two years. By this method at least one-half of the board has had an experience of one year in the management of the schools. In 1871 the school board elected a superintendent of schools, and since that time the office has been maintained. Mr G. A. Stuart is the present superintendent.
CHAPTER XVIII.
Saw and Grist Mills- Lewiston Falls Water-Power Co. - R. C. Pingree & Co. - Read, Small & Co. - Barker's Mills - Other Mills-Lewiston Falls Manufacturing Co .- The First Cotton Mill - Lewiston Water-Power Co. - Franklin Co. - Lincoln Mill - Bates Manufacturing Co. - Hill Manufacturing Co. - Androscoggin Mill -Continental Mills- The Lewiston Mill - Avon Mill -Lewiston Bleachery -Cowan Woolen Co. - Cumberland Mill-Union Water-Power Co .- Lewiston Machine Co .- Gay-Woodman Co. - Jordan, Frost & Co .- Lewiston Bobbin Shop-H. H. Dickey & Son-Lewiston Monumental Works- Other Manufactures.
S AW AND GRIST MILLS. - The saw-mill erected by Lawrence J. Harris in 1770-71, on the river nearly where the Cowan Mill stands, was burned about 1785, soon after the death of Mr Harris. It is supposed the mills -saw and grist-mill-remained under his control during his life-time ; but they soon passed into the hands of Little and the heirs of Bagley. The mill was simple. There was no dam across the river, or canal, but the water was conveyed into a small pond by a small flume which extended into the river and rested on the ledge near the summit of the falls. A dam was built across the valley, just above the mill, which reached the hill on the eastern side, touching a spur of ledge on the river bank that formed part of the western portion of the dam. Several years after the erection of the saw-mill, Mr Harris built a grist-mill, taking the power from the same pond, but it was so near the river that after standing a few years it was undermined, and became a total loss. Soon after the destruction of the mill in 1785, it was rebuilt by the pro- prietors, but, like its predecessor, it was burned. In 1808-9 the first dam across the river here was built, and a canal made. The dam was built of timber, rudely constructed, and did not occupy the same position of those built later. On this canal, and on ground now covered by the northerly wing of the Lincoln Mill, Mr Little built, in 1809, a large wooden building, and had
383
CITY OF LEWISTON.
under one roof, saw, grist, and fulling mills. There was also a carding machine. In the spring of 1814 this mill was consumed by fire, a total loss to Mr Little and a great misfortune to the people. These mills were undoubt- edly burned by the torch of the incendiary. Mr Little was much grieved by these manifestations of enmity. There was unquestionably much feeling in the community against Mr Little, but the sentiment was almost universal and pronounced against this wanton destruction of property. In a letter to Mr Amos Davis, written in March, 1815, Mr Little writes :
My son, Michael, writes that the people of Lewiston and Minot are desirons to have a grist-mill and saw-mill built this season on the falls, and that the people would get in the timber that will be suitable for them, provided I would consent to put them up this season. If the people think the mills will be safe from the base incendiary, who has no more regard for one man than another, I will, with the assistance of the people, make one more trial to rebuild them. But I should like to have the timber cut on the old of the moon, that if it should be preserved from fire it might be more durable.
A new mill much better than the one destroyed was built that season, which remained until about 1850, when it gave place to valuable improvements.
Need help finding more records? Try our genealogical records directory which has more than 1 million sources to help you more easily locate the available records.