USA > Maine > Androscoggin County > History of Androscoggin County, Maine > Part 91
Note: The text from this book was generated using artificial intelligence so there may be some errors. The full pages can be found on Archive.org (link on the Part 1 page).
Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5 | Part 6 | Part 7 | Part 8 | Part 9 | Part 10 | Part 11 | Part 12 | Part 13 | Part 14 | Part 15 | Part 16 | Part 17 | Part 18 | Part 19 | Part 20 | Part 21 | Part 22 | Part 23 | Part 24 | Part 25 | Part 26 | Part 27 | Part 28 | Part 29 | Part 30 | Part 31 | Part 32 | Part 33 | Part 34 | Part 35 | Part 36 | Part 37 | Part 38 | Part 39 | Part 40 | Part 41 | Part 42 | Part 43 | Part 44 | Part 45 | Part 46 | Part 47 | Part 48 | Part 49 | Part 50 | Part 51 | Part 52 | Part 53 | Part 54 | Part 55 | Part 56 | Part 57 | Part 58 | Part 59 | Part 60 | Part 61 | Part 62 | Part 63 | Part 64 | Part 65 | Part 66 | Part 67 | Part 68 | Part 69 | Part 70 | Part 71 | Part 72 | Part 73 | Part 74 | Part 75 | Part 76 | Part 77 | Part 78 | Part 79 | Part 80 | Part 81 | Part 82 | Part 83 | Part 84 | Part 85 | Part 86 | Part 87 | Part 88 | Part 89 | Part 90 | Part 91 | Part 92 | Part 93 | Part 94 | Part 95 | Part 96 | Part 97 | Part 98 | Part 99 | Part 100 | Part 101 | Part 102 | Part 103 | Part 104 | Part 105 | Part 106 | Part 107 | Part 108
743
TOWN OF POLAND.
C. A. White succeeded him December 31, 1882, and resigned April 1, 1888. Rev. S. H. Woodrow preached one year, and was followed by Rev. Fred- erick Newport, the present pastor. The number of persons connected with this church from commencement until May, 1890, is 228. The present church building was completed and dedicated in the autumn of 1848. The dedicatory sermon was preached by Rev. Enos Merrill. In 1886 the house was remod- elled, repaired, and furnished with a furnace, and a basement vestry added.
The Universalist Church.1 -- The first sermon by a Universalist in Poland was preached on Monday, September 17, 1798, by Rev. Thomas Barns2; his text was: "For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus, who gave himself a ransom for all, to be testified in due time." At the conclusion of the service, Rev. Mr Merritt, a Methodist, made some remarks according to his doctrinal ideas, to which Mr Barns replied, and " we shook hands and parted in peace." In 1799 Rev. Mr Barns removed his family here. January 6, 1802, he was ordained at Gray. In May, 1802, Rev. Mr Hubbard, Methodist, arranged with Rev. Mr Barns and Rev. Mr Williston, Methodist, to hold a public discussion in the meeting-house near Minot Corner. The audience was large, mostly Methodists, and there was an interesting discussion. In 1807, the Congregational church of New Gloucester exercised the right to tax other denominations, and in default of payment sold their stock at auction. The Universalists, Baptists, and Methodists sent a petition for redress to the legislature by Mr Barns, who was representative, which was successful. He fulfilled his appointments to preach until his death. [See note.] Father Barns was the first man ordained to the Christian ministry of universal salvation in Maine. Many of the prominent families became interested and earnest laborers in the cause, and soon after his death, they, in company with the Methodists and Baptists, built a meeting-house at Poland Corner, in which they held meetings and had preaching by itinerants, until it was burned about 30 years afterward. The prominent men in Poland then Universalists were James and Charles Chipman, William Jackson, Samuel and Job Atwood, Nathaniel Lane, Benjamin Garland, and later, Stephen and Free-
1 Condensed from sketch in Poole Bros' " History of Poland," written by J. A. Bucknam.
2 Rev. Thomas Barns, born in Merrimac, N. H., in 1749, became a Baptist in 1771, married Mary Fletcher in 1772, and was a farmer of Jaffrey, N. H. In 1783 he heard a Universalist preach, and soon became a preacher of Universalism. He resided in Vermont, Connecticut, and Massachusetts, preaching in those states and Rhode Island, from 1786 to 1796, when he came to New Gloncester and traveled extensively in Maine as a preacher of his faith. In 1799 he came to Poland. He was ordained January 6, 1802, pastor of the united Universalist societies of Falmouth, Gray, New Gloucester, and Norway, and his spare Sabbaths he preached in Freeport, Danville, Poland, Turner, and Livermore, and for some years was the only Universalist preacher in Maine. He died in 1816, and was buried with Masonic honors. He was often representative, was of blameless character, and as a speaker possessed wonderful magnetism and oratorical powers. His children were : Polly, Rachel, Thomas, Reuben, Lucy, Lydia, Sally, Levisa, Mary Fletcher. Sally married Hon. Josiah Dunn, and it was said that he would lose his soul because he married the daughter of a Universalist minister.
744
HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.
man Marble, Z. Weston, Benjamin Waterhouse, and Joseph Harris. After the burning of the church, only occasional preaching was had until at Mechanic Falls Rev. Messrs Blacker, Hitchens, Quimby, Gaines, and Father Thompson frequently preached in halls and school-houses from 1851 to 1857, when Father Thompson was engaged to preach one-half the time in Thayer's Hall. The Congregationalists and Freewill Baptists refused to let him preach in their churches, even when they were unoccupied, as they regarded Uni- versalism as a very dangerous doctrine. The Universalists, however, built a commodious church of their own, in which they could worship God according to the dictates of their own consciences, completed in December, 1863.
A Universalist Society was organized April 8, 1862, with officers: Mod- erator, J. A. Bucknam ; clerk, Charles H. Dwinal ; treasurer, William Moore ; trustees, John Winslow, William Moore, J. A. Bucknam. This society was merged into a new organization, March 24, 1863, composed of citizens of Poland, Minot, and Hebron, and named the First Universalist Parish of Mechanic Falls. The charter members were J. A. Bucknam, Charles H. Dwinal, F. H. Cobb, John Winslow, Mark D. Curtiss, O. W. Hawkes, F. A. Danforth, and B. F. Haskell. At this first meeting, S. F. Waterman, Adna C. Denison, A. K. Bickford, Solomon Atwood, Edward M. Thurston joined the parish. The parish was organized by the choice of F. H. Cobb, moderator; Charles H. Dwinal, clerk and treasurer ; J. A. Bucknam, John Winslow, S. F. Waterman, trustees ; A. C. Denison, E. M. Thurston, F. A. Danforth, assessors. Voted to raise $500 to complete the sum of $3,000 for the purpose of building a church. Hon. A. C. Denison, J. A. Bucknam, S. F. Waterman, E. M. Thurston, William Moore, and A. K. Bickford were chosen building committee. The church was built, and an organ valued at $2,600 was placed in it before January, 1864, when the church was dedicated by Rev. Zenas Thompson, who probably preached the first Universalist sermon ever delivered in Mechanic Falls in 1840, and who, from 1851 to the building of the church, labored zealously, and was largely instrumental in the erection of the church. He delivered the dedicatory address with great ability and power. He was a wonderful speaker on great occasions. The singing was under the direction of S. F. Waterman, Esq., who served the church with much ability for many years. January 24 Rev. R. A. Ballou was engaged to fill the pulpit. Decem- ber 24, 1864, Rev. A. G. Gaines was called at a salary of $800. He resigned January 1, 1870. He was a learned man, a humble and devout preacher, gaining the respect of all the community, and enlarging the parish to 80 members.
The church organized in 1842 as the Hebron and West Minot Church, and in 1858 reorganized as the West Minot and Mechanic Falls Church, was reorganized as the Mechanic Falls Church, November 11, 1866, and it retained all the old members, residents of Minot, Poland, and Hebron. These names were transferred from the old church to the new: John Winslow and wife,
745
TOWN OF POLAND.
Calvin Whitman and wife, Solomon Atwood and wife, Calvin Bucknam and wife, Charles V. Jacobs and wife, James Jacobs and wife, William Moore and wife, William Cobb and wife, Tristram Durelle and wife, Benjamin Waterhouse and wife, Jacob McCollister and wife, Cyrus Bridgham and wife, Ara Cush- man and wife, Thomas Cushman and wife, Ephraim Stinchfield and wife, Smith G. Bailey and wife, Albert Valentine, Lloyd Andrews, Samuel Bumpus, S. A. Bennett, Adam Richardson, Josiah A. Bucknam, Rufus Thurlow, Matthias P. Sawyer, Zenas Weston and wife, Benjamin F. Haskell and wife, Sarah D. Clark, Rachel C. Richardson, Sarah Moore, Cynthia DeCoster, Sarah A. Par- sons, Elizabeth O. Ryerson, Hamlin T. Bucknam. These were added at the formation of the Mechanic Falls Church : Adna C. Denison, George Sholes, Edward M. Thurston and wife, Rev. Absalom G. Gaines, Abraham A. Waldron. 60 members constituted the Mechanic Falls Church, December 2, 1866. Since then 83 members have been added, 39 have died, and the present number is 60. Calvin Bucknam served as deacon from 1842 to about 1872. Lysander Dunham served from 1842 until 1858. Since then George Sholes, Albert Valentine, E. M. Thurston. Andrew J. Weston and Alvin Reed are the present deacons. Josiah A. Bucknam, E. M. Thurston, Albert Valentine, Charles S. Allen, Nathaniel Gammon, A. J. Weston, George Sholes, and E. F. Bradford have been clerks. The business department is in the hands of the parish. [For the creed see Auburn.] Rev. Zenas Thompson succeeded Rev. Mr Gaines and began his service in March, 1870. A bell was purchased and rung for the first time December 4, 1870. 13 members were added to the parish February 20, 1871. On account of impaired health Rev. Mr Thompson resigned December 3, but remained the balance of his year. The parish was increased to 99 members, and several added to the church, and during his last winter the average of the Sabbath-school attendance was 175. He was unanimously invited to remain two years longer, but his ill health, brought on by exposure as chaplain in the army, rendered it impossible. The church and parish, with other friends where he had preached, in grateful remembrance of his unselfish labors for a life-time, at the suggestion of his friend, J. A. Bucknam, purchased a pleasant little homestead in the village and presented it to him, so that he could rest from his active duties of pastor and yet be helpful in many ways to the church and community. He gave his life-work for temperance and humanity as embodied in the blessed gospel of Jesus Christ. Thus he lived, honored and loved in the last years of his life by people of all religious faiths. He died December, 1882, in the town of Deering, aged 78 years. May 6, 1872, Rev. S. S. Davis, a graduate of Canton Theological School, N. Y., was the next pastor. He remained nearly one year. Rev. Martin J. Steere accepted a unanimous call of the parish to become its pastor at a salary of $1,500, and began his services November 30, 1873. May 11, 1875, on motion of Hon. A. C. Denison, the parish unanimously voted to enlarge the church and put a vestry under it at a
746
HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.
cost of about $6,000. The Congregational church kindly invited them to occupy their meeting-house while repairing, without charge, which was thank- fully accepted. October 28, the building being completed, the vestry was dedicated and named Murray Hall. May 14, 1876, Bro. Steere read his resig- nation and it was accepted. Many members were added to the church while he was pastor. He came to the Universalists from the Free Baptists. He wrote a theological book, entitled " Footprints Heavenward," giving his reasons for his change of belief, and it was very popular. [See page 374.] From June, 1876, to June, 1877, the pulpit was supplied. Rev. Harrison S. Whitman was installed pastor of the church June 22, 1877. October 9, 1882, Rev. Mr Whitman resigned. He was a talented writer and preacher, and a very pure- minded and exemplary man. During his pastorate many joined the church and parish. For nearly a year services were held every Sunday, then Rev. W. W. Hooper commenced his service as pastor. He labored earnestly and faithfully, but under very unfavorable circumstances; the parish had a heavy debt and could not make much progress. May 6, 1886, the parish accepted his resigna- tion. Mr Hooper was an interesting preacher, a beloved pastor, and endeared himself to the whole community. Rev. W. S. Perkins, of Lewiston, filled the pulpit from 1886, to June, 1889. He was an able and eloquent speaker. One very important movement was begun in 1887 by him, and Bros Whitman, Hooper, and Hayden, to relieve the parish of its debt by inducing the state convention to pay $500 for three successive years, if the parish would pay in the same sum. This was consummated May 1, 1890, when the ladies got up a supper. 150 persons generously paid $2.50 a plate and raised the money. Mr Bucknam says if the noble women of the parish had not, during the darkest days, worked with untiring energy, the parish property must have been lost to the denomination. Great honor is due to them. From July, 1889, to July, 1890, Rev. R. F. Johonnot, of Lewiston, ministered to the church on Sundays.
The parish and church now extended a unanimous invitation to Rev. George G. Hamilton, of Oakland, who began his work October 5, 1890. He came here by a personal sacrifice, hoping by the help of God's spirit to do a large and glorious work. Since Mr Hamilton came, the audience at church and Sabbath school has doubled in attendance. At this writing, November 1, 1890, the church and parish are in a more prosperous condition than they have been for years, are free from debt, with church property valued at $10,000, a church membership of 60, a parish membership of 80, Sabbath school of about 85. There are 120 families in the vicinity; some of each attend the meetings and contribute to its support.
The parish is the business branch of the church, yet its creed, constitution, and by-laws are in substance the same as the church, but not subject to its ordinances. The board of trustees is the executive force and business and financial management. These persons have served as trustees : J. A. Bucknam,
747
TOWN OF POLAND.
John Winslow, S. F. Waterman, A. C. Denison, E. M. Thurston, William Moore, A. T. Denison, F. C. Whitehouse, A. Reed, Calvin M. Cram, E. B. Gammon, D. B. Holt, A. J. Weston, James S. Gerry, E. F. Bradford, C. H. Dwinal, Fred E. Dwinal, George L. Reed, Mrs A. T. Denison, Mrs Charles H. Dwinal. The present officers are: Alvin Reed, moderator; Dr E. F. Brad- ford, clerk ; A. J. Weston, treasurer ; James H. DeCoster, Herbert E. Thurston, L. W. Mason, trustees. These persons have served in their respective offices longer than any others: George W. Sholes, as clerk of church, Sabbath school, and parish ; A. J. Weston, treasurer of parish ; J. A. Bucknam, trustee of parish ; A. C. Denison, superintendent of Sabbath school and its most efficient supporter. The ministerial fund is about $5,000. In 1890 the Methodists received 30 per cent., the Universalists 23 per cent., the Free Baptists 21 per cent., the Congregationalists 14 per cent., the Adventists 10 per cent., the Calvinist Baptists 2 per cent. The Mechanic Falls church is the only Univer- salist organization in town. Its average running expenses since 1863 have been $1,500 per year. These sums, with what has been paid for buildings and formation, will exceed $50,000.
Methodist Episcopal Church. -- Poland was at first in the Portland circuit. Jesse Lee preached here, in 1793, in the house of Nehemiah Strout, and Nehemiah Strout, Josiah Dunn, and William Davis were converted. This house was the preaching place of Methodist itinerants for years. In 1795 there was a church organization, and in a record of the quarterly conference, in August, 1797, it is stated "that Moses Emery, Jr, of Poland was chosen steward of the money matters, in Asa Robertson's stead." This quarterly meeting was held at Poland. In 1802 Portland circuit was divided into Falmouth and Poland circuits. Josiah Dunn and John Caldwell were stewards of Poland circuit. Prior to 1800 Timothy Merritt became a laborer here, and his work brought a great revival. In 1802 Philip Munger was preacher in charge. In 1803 Joshua Taylor was presiding elder. Joel Wicker appointed to Poland. The years 1816 and 1817 were blessed under the labors of John Adams. Many of Poland's representative people were converted to Methodism, and many of their descendants have been prominent workers. Moses Emery and several of his family became Methodists. His oldest son, Moses, was a local preacher, and for more than 40 years and while his health continued, preached every Sabbath. His life gave the impression that religion made this life happy and the future glorious. He died at Livermore Falls, November 4, 1861, in his 90th year. Rev. Nathan Emery, son of Moses Emery, was born in Poland, August 5, 1780. In 1795 he was converted to Methodism, and when 16 was appointed class leader ; in 1799 licensed to preach; in 1801 ordained deacon; in 1803 removed from Maine, and until 1821 he was appointed to prominent circuits in New York Conference. In 1816 he organ- ized the first Sunday school in Brooklyn. In 1804 and 1816 he was a member
748
ยท
HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.
of the General Conference. He afterward removed to Ohio and resumed itinerant labors. He died May 20, 1849. Mr Emery's ministrations were characterized by good sense, great zeal for God, and a deep concern for the salvation of souls. Rev. William Freeman Farrington was born near Worthley Brook in Poland, September 7, 1800, and died in Auburn, December 26,
1888.
He was converted when 14, and preached his first sermon in Poland in
1826. In 1829 he joined the conference and preached in Durham. In 1856-58 he was presiding elder of the Portland district. He was a natural orator, and one of the sweetest of singers. His life was a useful and an unblem- ished one. The descendants of Josiah Dunn have largely identified themselves with the Methodists; among them, Hon. William Dunn, and Reuben B. Dunn, who was born in Poland, December 23, 1802, and was one of the strongest sup- porters of the Methodist church. He acquired wealth and gave largely to the cause he loved. Maine Wesleyan Seminary, Waterville Methodist Church, Boston University, and many other churches had in him a most generous benefactor. Poland circuit has been much reduced, and now embraces only Poland and Minot. In 1886 East Poland and Minot Corner had one church organization, with a membership of 41, two church edifices valued at over #4,000, and a parsonage valued at $800. Rev. J. F. Keith served this charge two years ; his pastorate commenced May 1, 1888. Rev. George G. Powers succeeded him April 28, 1890. The church membership is 56. There are three Sabbath schools with 89 pupils and 12 teachers. The superintendents are : Howard M. Dunn, C. F. King, and R. J. Everett. The Empire Grove camp-meeting is held annually. The grounds are improved each year, and they are among the finest and most convenient in New England. The grounds were leased, in 1858, for 99 years, and are near Empire station.
The First Free Will Baptist Church was organized October 8, 1798. The first members were William Emery, Mark Emery, Edmund Megquier, and John Fernald. They met at the house of William Emery; Elder Zachariah Leach, of Raymond, and Elder Joseph Hutchinson, of Turner, assisted in the ceremonies. During the year Jonathan Fickett, Zudy Fickett, Edmund Megquier, and John Fernald were received by baptism. Meetings were held in houses, barns, and groves. Elder Z. Leach, the first pastor, preached from 1798 until 1824. Hubbard Chandler preached in 1825. During his ministry the church was reorganized and joined to the Gorham yearly meeting. Rev. Hubbard Chandler, born in Wilton, January 11, 1798, was son of Henry and Mehitable Chandler, early settlers of Poland. He was ordained January 9, 1822, and united with the Freewill Baptists. He preached in 120 towns, averaging not more than $50 a year for his services. He was a very persuasive speaker and a most successful missionary. He died November 5, 1866. In 1831 Rev. James Libby was settled as pastor, maintaining that relation until 1865. Rev. James Libby, son of Deacon James and Betsey Small Libby, was born in
749
TOWN OF POLAND.
Danville in 1796. In 1828 he entered the ministry ; in 1831 moved to West Poland. The church prospered under his ministrations. He was one of the first four anti-slavery men in the town. Temperance was strongly advocated by him, and Sabbath schools. His remarkable memory and great conversa- tional powers made him an instructive and agreeable speaker. He attended more than 1,000 funerals, baptized about 1,000 persons, and performed the marriage ceremony many hundred times. He died March 6, 1884. The pastorate has been since held by Elder C. Bean, Jerry Hayden, David Libby, Ebenezer Eaton, and J. S. Potter. The deacons have been Robert Snell, Stephen Cobb, Francis Rounds, Joseph Allen, Joshua Lunt, William Barton, Israel Herrick, Mark Emery, Joshua Jordan, William E. Morton, Lemuel C. Keene, and William E. Lunt. The membership since organization has been about 300: present number, about 80. The meeting-house was built in 1834 and dedicated January 1, 1835 ; dedication sermon by Rev. George Lamb. In 1840 a number were dismissed to form a church on White Oak hill, after which this became the First Free Baptist Church. For a few years the pulpit has been supplied by Revs J. S. Burgess, Wakeley, Gosline, and others. The first choir was under the leadership of William Stevens, and then Benjamin C. Megquier. This choir disbanded. In 1848 a new choir was formed under the leadership of Nathaniel Keene, who held that position for over 30 years. There is no resident pastor of the church at present.
The Second Free Baptist Church was organized on White Oak hill in 1840, with 40 members; the most had belonged to the First Church on Megquier hill. Among them were John Stanton, William Stanton, William McCann, Lorenzo Thurston, George Thurston, Joseph Trickey, David McCann, Betsey Stanton, Lydia Stanton, Lucy McCann, Rachel Stanton. Rev. George Haskell was installed pastor and in 1841 35 members were added. From 1841 to 1856 the pastors were Rev. Smith Fairfield, Rev. Thomas Kenniston, and one other. From 1856 to 1876 Rev. John Pinkham did great service, and since preaching has been supplied by students from Bates College, and various itinerants. The membership is about 40. The church was built and dedicated in 1870. William Stanton and William McCann were chosen deacons at the organiza- tion, and held office until their death. Deacon McCann died in 1878, and was succeeded by Leo F. Thurston. Deacon Stanton died in 1885, since which time no one has been elected.
Adventism was first preached at West Poland in 1842 by Elder E. Crowell, Joshua V. Hines, and others. A large number embraced this doctrine, and for several years the Adventists and Baptists occupied the same house of worship. In 1855 the Adventists erected a chapel, which was dedicated free to all sects and denominations. Deaths and removals have reduced this once large society, and no church organization or regular meeting is maintained. The elders who have resided at West Poland were Joseph Turner, Luther L. Howard, O. R.
750
HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.
Fassett, Jesse Partridge, Joseph T. Jordan, Jared Whitman, and Rev. James Albert Libby, who is son of Rev. James and Nancy Fulton Libby, a descendant of John Libby, the English emigrant, and born in West Poland, July 3, 1832. He had a common school and academical education, and has been a teacher. When 26 he became a preacher and was ordained by the Adventists in 1859. He has labored in eight different states and in Canada. In 1869, accompanied by his wife, Mary (Chandler) Libby, he went to South Carolina, and preached and taught among the freedmen. From 1884 to 1887 he was settled in Castleton, Vt, and 50 members were added to the society. He now resides in Poland, and ministers to churches in the surrounding towns. He has devoted much time to literary work, and has published many poems. He is president of the Androscoggin Camp-Meeting Association, and Androscoggin County Conference. He is a Republican and a prohibitionist.
An organized church of some 50 members holds regular meetings at Mechanic Falls. In 1890, the Camp-Meeting Association began to hold yearly meetings on its grounds of 15 acres, situated on the Lewiston road. The lovely location, the waving groves, the splendid scenery, combine to make the natural features peculiarly adapted to the designed purpose of a religious summer resort.
THE SHAKERS .- In November, 1783, Elisha Pote, Nathan Freeman, and Enoch Waite came into Thompson Pond plantation and held meetings. They were gifted speakers and singers, and many embraced their faith. A meeting- house was built, also mills in New Gloucester. By industry and prudence the Shakers acquired much real estate. For a while they retained their property as before conversion, but soon after it was held in common. They were joined by others from Buckfield ; they exchanged the lands on Ricker hill for lands in Alfred. J. M. Libby says of the Poland or Upper Family, in 1872: " They came in 1819, exchanged their lands in Gorham for those they own in Poland with Andrew Twombly and Josh. Berry, and bought other lands. The family at first numbered 50, but at present something less than 40. Of the original 50 only five are now living. Elder Samuel Pote came with the family to Poland. The present clder is Nehemiah Trull. Their chief reason for leaving Gorham was the scarcity of wood and timber, large quantities of which they found here. The stone mansion begun 12 years ago, but not completed, has cost $15,000, and when finished will cost $20,000. They value their property in Poland at $30,000. Agriculture forms the chief occupation, and is carried to a high degree of perfection. Gardening, grape-culture, and orcharding each receive considerable attention." In recent years this society has not flourished and their farm has been abandoned and sold.
Need help finding more records? Try our genealogical records directory which has more than 1 million sources to help you more easily locate the available records.