USA > Maine > Androscoggin County > History of Androscoggin County, Maine > Part 28
Note: The text from this book was generated using artificial intelligence so there may be some errors. The full pages can be found on Archive.org (link on the Part 1 page).
Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5 | Part 6 | Part 7 | Part 8 | Part 9 | Part 10 | Part 11 | Part 12 | Part 13 | Part 14 | Part 15 | Part 16 | Part 17 | Part 18 | Part 19 | Part 20 | Part 21 | Part 22 | Part 23 | Part 24 | Part 25 | Part 26 | Part 27 | Part 28 | Part 29 | Part 30 | Part 31 | Part 32 | Part 33 | Part 34 | Part 35 | Part 36 | Part 37 | Part 38 | Part 39 | Part 40 | Part 41 | Part 42 | Part 43 | Part 44 | Part 45 | Part 46 | Part 47 | Part 48 | Part 49 | Part 50 | Part 51 | Part 52 | Part 53 | Part 54 | Part 55 | Part 56 | Part 57 | Part 58 | Part 59 | Part 60 | Part 61 | Part 62 | Part 63 | Part 64 | Part 65 | Part 66 | Part 67 | Part 68 | Part 69 | Part 70 | Part 71 | Part 72 | Part 73 | Part 74 | Part 75 | Part 76 | Part 77 | Part 78 | Part 79 | Part 80 | Part 81 | Part 82 | Part 83 | Part 84 | Part 85 | Part 86 | Part 87 | Part 88 | Part 89 | Part 90 | Part 91 | Part 92 | Part 93 | Part 94 | Part 95 | Part 96 | Part 97 | Part 98 | Part 99 | Part 100 | Part 101 | Part 102 | Part 103 | Part 104 | Part 105 | Part 106 | Part 107 | Part 108
October 26, 1882, a petition was received from Knights Templar residing in Auburn and vicinity, asking permission to form a commandery at Auburn, which was not favored. April 5, 1883, commandery was officially visited by
239
MASONIC AND ODD FELLOW SOCIETIES.
R. E. Charles B. Morton, Grand Captain General of the Grand Commandery. June 7 was a gala day. A special conelave was held, and R. E. Sir Isaac S. Bangs, of Waterville, Grand Commander of the Grand Commandery of Maine, was present as a guest and installed the officers-elect in a public installation. The ceremonies were interspersed with vocal and instrumental music of a high order, and readings by Mrs J. T. Waterhouse, of Boston. Afterwards a banquet was served, followed by one of the most elegant society entertainments ever given in the state. March 20, 1884, V. E. John O. Shaw, D. G. Com- mander of the Grand Commandery of Maine, made an official visit. He was accompanied by large delegations from Maine Commandery No. 1, of Gardiner, Portland Commandery No. 2, Portland, Bradford Commandery No. 4, Bidde- ford, Dunlap Commandery No. 5, Bath, Trinity Commandery No. 7, Augusta, St Alban Commandery No. 8, of Portland, Claremont Commandery No. 9, Roekland, and St Omer Commandery No. 12, Waterville. There were 64 visitors present. April 15, 36 Knights visited Dunlap Commandery No. 5, Bath. June 2 an order was issued by the Grand Commander ordering, as a tribute of respect to the memory of R. E. Sir Henry H. Dickey, P. G. C. of the Grand Commandery, that the asylum of each subordinate commandery in this grand jurisdiction be draped in mourning for 60 days. June 23 and 24 a pilgrimage was made to Lake Winnipesaukee and Dover, N. H. Number of members reported March 26, 1885, was 175. May 28 Past Commander Wm J. Burnham was installed into the office of Grand Senior Warden of the Grand Commandery of Maine, by E. C. Frank E. Sleeper. July 7 a special conclave was held to extend a complimentary escort and banquet to St Alban Commandery No. 8, of Portland. November 26 an invitation was received from the Grand Encampment of Knights Templar of the United States for this commandery to assist in escorting the Grand Encampment at its Twenty-third Triennial Conelave at St Louis in September. Caleb Blake and Alonzo F. Sanborn have died this year.
January 7, 1886, E. G. C. G. Joseph Y. Hodsdon made an official visit, escorted by Portland, Dunlap, and St Alban commanderies. During this conclave E. S. Albro E. Chase, on behalf of the Knights of St Alban Commandery, presented Lewiston Commandery with an elegantly engraved memorial as a token of appreciation of Knightly courtesies extended them and their ladies on July 7. April 10, 1887, attended the obsequies of the late Prelate David Cowan, who died April 6. Among the visitors, May 19, were E. I. Garfield, P. G. Commander of Michigan and Past Commander of Detroit. February 2, 1888, number of members reported, 196. April 5 R. E. Wm J. Burnham, Grand Commander of the Grand Commandery of Maine, returned thanks, in behalf of himself and suite, for the recent reception tendered them by this commandery at City Hall. June 22 entertained St Johns Commandery of Bangor, and escorted them to Poland Springs. Sir Knights Arthur Sands
240
HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.
and Rodney F. Foss died in 1888. January 17, 1889, official visit, as inspecting officer, of V. E. Sir Edwin M. Fuller, D. G. C. of the Grand Commandery. He was accompanied by his suite and distinguished Knights from various commanderies. Sir Knight Daniel M. Teague died December 9. January 23, 1890, R. E. Joseph A. Locke, G. C. of the Grand Commandery, accompanied by his suite and prominent Knights of Dunlap, Portland, and St Alban commanderies, made an official visit of inspection. Two hundred and thirteen members were reported February 6. February 27 Past E. C. Algernon M. Roak was presented with a Past Commander's jewel as a token of appreciation of his services. September 4 procured a testimonial to be presented to De Molay Commandery. January 15, 1891, inspecting officer, R. E. Sir Edwin M. Fuller, G. C., visited the commandery with his suite. February 5 accepted an invitation from Sir Knight C. A. Hayden to attend, in a body, divine service at Elm Street Church, Auburn, on Easter Sunday.
The commanders have been : Henry II. Diekey, 1865-1868; William J. Burnham, 1868-1870; Augustus Callahan, 1870-1871; David Cowan, 1871- 1872; Fessenden I. Day, 1872-1874; Frank T. Faulkner, 1874-1877; George S. Woodman, 1877-1878; Theodore M. Varney, 1878-1880; Charles H. Jumper, 1880-1882; Albert M. Penley, 1882-1884; Frank E. Sleeper, 1884-1886 ; William F. Wood, 1886-1888; Algernon M. Roak, 1888-1890; Danville B. Stevens, present commander. The recorders have been : Seth D. Wakefield until April, 1868; George S. Woodman until April, 1869; F. O. Sands elected April, 1870; M. E. D. Bailey elected March, 1872; John F. Putnam elected March, 1873; F. I. Day elected March, 1874; Horace C. Little elected March, 1883. The treasurers have been : Wm J. Burnham until November 16, 1865, when David Cowan was elected. George H. Nye was chosen March 28, 1867 ; he left the city, and July 25, 1867, John W. Farwell was appointed and held the office until April 7, 1870, when Wm J. Burnham was elected. The officers for 1891 are: Danville B. Stevens, E. C .; W. Freeman Lord, G .; Charles E. Libby, C. G .; Fessenden I. Day, P .; Elbridge G. Heath, S. W .; Albert S. Plummer, J. W .; Wm J. Burnham, Treas .; Horace C. Little, R .; Lavater O. Morse, St. B. ; Frank H. Johnson, Sw. B .; Samuel Hibbert, W .; Henry L. Has- kell, 3d G .; Roscoe E. Atwood, 2d G .; Eben W. Dresser, 1st G .; Charles H. Jumper, S. The stated conclaves are held in Masonic Hall on the first Thurs- day of each month; the annual conclaves in February. This commandery has had a brilliant and prosperous existence, and never were its prospects better for a long term of activity and usefulness. The number of members at last report was 231.
Lewiston Lodge of Perfection, A. A. S. Rite, was organized January 27, 1876, under a dispensation granted by the Supreme Council, January 19, 1876, to Henry Holden Dickey, Fessenden Irving Day, Augustus Callahan, Joseph Harvey Stetson, David Cowan, George Stoves Follensbee, Francis Thomas
241
MASONIC AND ODD FELLOW SOCIETIES.
Faulkner, John W. Ballou, Charles Albert Coombs, William Jackson Burn- ham, and Theodore Murray Varney. The first officers elected were : Wm J. Burnham, T. P. G. Master; F. I. Day, D. G. M .; Augustus Callahan, V. S. G. Warden; F. T. Faulkner, V. J. G. W .; H. H. Diekey, G. Orator; Joseph H. Stetson, G. Treas. and Sec .; T. M. Varney, G. M. of C .; Geo. S. Follensbee, G. C. of G .; David Cowan, G. Hospitaler; John W. Ballou, G. Tyler. Wm J. Burnham was T. P. G. Master from January 27, 1876, to February, 1878; Augustus Callahan from February, 1878, to February, 1879; Fessenden I. Day from February, 1879, to February, 1883; T. M. Varney from February, 1883, to February, 1885; Charles H. Jumper from February, 1885, to February, 1887 ; A. M. Penley from February, 1887, to February, 1889; F. E. Sleeper from Feb- ruary, 1889, to February, 1891, when the present officers were elected: Elbridge G. Heath, T. P. G. Master ; Charles E. Libby, D. G. M .; Wm F. Wood, V. S. G. Warden; A. M. Roak, V. J. G. W .; Wm F. Lord, G. Orator; Joseph H. Stetson, G. Treas .; John Garner, G. Sec .; James T. Tarbox, G. M. of C .; F. H. Johnson, G. C. of G .; Samuel Hibbert, G. Hospitaler; C. HI. Jumper, G. Tyler. Joseph H. Stetson has been G. Treasurer ever since its organization ; John Garner G. Secretary since February, 1883. There were 105 members, May 1, 1891.
Tyrian Lodge, No. 73, F. ยง. A. M., Mechanic Falls. - A dispensation was granted by G. M. John C. Humphrey, January 21, 1853, to Geo. Moore, Daniel W. True, Nathaniel Bray, Augustus Golderman, George Hathaway, Josiah Carr, and Samuel Atwood, to open and hold a Freemason's lodge to be known as Fraternal Lodge; George Moore was named as first Master, D. W. True as Senior Warden, Nathaniel Bray as Junior Warden. The first meeting U. D. was held January 24, 1853, with the original members all present and two visitors. Bros. True, Carr, and Moore were chosen to draft by-laws which were reported and adopted January 27. These are preserved and show a clear knowledge of Masonic and parliamentary law on the part of the framers. At this meeting five applications were received. February 10, at the sixth communication, Ellis D. Moore was initiated and "passed." He is now the oldest Mason of the lodge. The next oldest is Lorenzo Edgecomb, initiated and "passed" March 17. Fraternal Lodge held but 19 communications, for when a charter was granted, May 10, 1853, it was to Tyrian Lodge, No. 73, with rank of precedence from January 1, 1853. The meetings U. D., and until the fitting up of the hall now occupied, were in Moore's Hall, in Minot. June 18, 1853, M. W. G. M. Freeman Bradford opened a grand lodge in the building in which the lodge held its meetings, and proceeding to the hall consecrated Tyrian Lodge and installed its officers. They were George Moore, W. M .; S. B. Hutchins, S. W .; D. P. Atwood, J. W .; Josiah Carr, Treas .; A. Golderman, Sec .; and subordinates. Twenty-two Masons were made during the year. The officers elected for 1854 were those of 1853, with W. F.
242
HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.
Milliken secretary in place of Golderman. Nine Masons were made during the year and two dimitted. Seven received the third degree in 1855, and the officers elected were D. P. Atwood, W. M .; S. B. Hutchins, S. W .; Clement Phinney, J. W .; Josiah Carr, Treas .; W. F. Milliken, Sec. June 24 occurred the first expulsion from the lodge. In 1856 four were made Masons and two dimitted. D. P. Atwood was W. M .; S. B. Hutchins, S. W .; Josiah Carr, J. W .; Tristram Durell, Treas .; W. W. Knight, Sec. This year died Nathaniel Bray, May 29,1 and Otis Waterhouse, October 12.2
The elective officers for 1857 and 1858 were: Josiah Carr, W. M .; Augus- tus Golderman, S. W .; A. P. Lamb, J. W .; T. Durell, Treas .; O. B. Dwinal, Sec. Eight Masons were made and one added by dimit in 1857, and five were added in 1858 and one dimitted. January 28, 1858, a large Bible, square, and compasses for altar service, were presented to the lodge by the ladies of Poland and Minot interested in its welfare. In 1859 three were initiated. The officers in 1859 were: Augustus Golderman, W. M .; A. P. Lamb, S. W .; C. D. Hackett, J. W .; W. C. Dwinal, Treas .; E. G. Hawkes, Sec. In 1860 the same, except treasurer, D. P. Atwood, being chosen. This year a public installation was held and a banquet followed, enjoyed by many. Five were initiated, passed, and raised this year. 1861-the same officers were chosen. Eleven were made Masons, one dimitted, and one (John Stinchfield) died. The lodge was incorporated this year by legislative enactment. 1862- Alonzo P. Lamb, W. M .; C. D. Hackett, S. W .; J. M. Eveleth, J. W .; D. P. Atwood, Treas .; E. G. Hawkes, Sec. June 24 attended the centennial celebration of the intro- duction of Masonry into Maine, held at Portland. Four were made Masons this year, and eight in 1863. In 1863 C. D. Hackett was W. M .; John M. Eveleth, S. W .; G. W. Seaverns, J. W .; same secretary and treasurer. Bro. Burbank Spiller was buried with Masonic honors April 15. Enlisting in the Fifth Maine in the spring of 1861 he rose rapidly from private to a captaincy, and died from disease contracted in service. 1864-J. M. Eveleth, W. M .; G. W. Seaverns, S. W .; F. H. Cobb, J. W .; A. T. Denison, Treas .; E. G. Hawkes, Sec., with other officers were publicly installed. Twenty-five were initiated this year and three died -Levi Verrill, Willard W. Woodman, Charles W. Jordan. 1865-elective officers, except secretary, same as 1864. W. C. Dwinal now assumes the pen. August 12 was buried Bro. Mark D. Curtis, and September 15 Augustus B. Dwinal.3 Twenty-seven were made this
1 Brother Bray was made a Mason in Cumberland Lodge January 26, 1826, was a charter member of Tyrian Lodge, a worthy and faithful brother.
2 Brother Waterhouse was son of Benjamin Waterhouse, and was born in Poland in 1831. Educated by his own efforts, he became a successful teacher, studied law and was admitted to the bar in 1856. He gave promise of a brilliant career.
3 He was son of Alexander Dwinal of Minot. Instead of entering college, for which he fitted, he was one of the first to enlist as a Union soldier, was promoted to lieutenant and wounded, from the effects of which he died.
243
MASONIC AND ODD FELLOW SOCIETIES.
year. 1866-E. G. Hawkes, W. M .; P. R. Cobb, S. W .; Geo. W. Sholes, J. W .; G. W. Seaverns, Treas .; W. G. Millett, Sec. Eight were initiated, passed, and raised. 1867- Prescott R. Cobb, W. M .; G. W. Sholes, S. W .; H. B. King, J. W .; S. G. Spurr, Treas .; W. G. Millett, Sec. Fourteen joined this year by election and initiation. 1868-P. R. Cobb, W. M .; G. W. Sholes, S. W .; E. F. Ross, J. W .; S. G. Spurr, Treas .; W. G. Millett, Sec. This year were buried Bros. W. C. Dwinal' and Simeon W. Hawkes. 1869-Geo. W. Sholes, W. M .; E. F. Ross, S. W .; D. B. Perry, J. W .; F. H. Cobb, Treas .; E. A. Gammon, Sec. Ten Masons were made and one (William Cousens) buried this year. 1870-E. F. Ross, W. M .; D. B. Perry, S. W .; C. H. Dwinal, J. W .; John Richardson, Treas .; E. A. Gammon, Sec. February 10 a Masonic Board of Trustees having been incorporated, the lodge voted to surrender its civil charter and transfer its funds to the treasurer of the board of trustees. Bro. Samnel Atwood, a charter member and a Mason since 1815, died February 10, aged 82. By this time 179 members have been admitted.
So far we have followed the manuscript history prepared for the Grand Lodge. November 30 Past Master Dimon B. Perry presented the lodge with large photographs of all Past Masters. These hang on the walls of the lodge room in substantial frames, and from this year it has been an unwritten law of the lodge that each Master shall add his framed photograph to the number. Nine were made Masons this year, four dimitted, one died. In 1871 Edward Ross was W. M .; D. B. Perry, S. W .; C. H. Dwinal, J. W .; John Richardson, Treas .; F. C. Whitehouse, Sec. In 1872, 1873, 1874, Dimon B. Perry, W. M. ; Hiram B. King, S. W .; J. Richardson, J. W .; F. C. Whitehouse, Treas .; J. S. Merrill, Sec. February 1, 1872, was held the first meeting of Tyrian Lodge in its present well-arranged and convenient hall in Denison Block, Poland, when the lodge room was dedicated under the auspices of the Grand Lodge, repre- sented by M. W. Henry H. Dickey, P. G. M., who publicly installed the officers. October 9, 1873, the lodge assisted in constituting Union R. A. Chapter. Thirty-seven were initiated, 11 dimitted, and seven died in these three years. 1875-H. B. King was W. M .; J. Richardson, S. W .; E. F. Stevens, J. W .; A. J. Weston, Treas .; T. S. Turner, Sec. In 1876, J. Rich- ardson, W. M. ; E. F. Stevens, S. W .; C. E. Stoddard, J. W .; A. J. Weston, Treas .; H. C. Bray, Sec. April 6, 1876, the time of the annual meeting was changed from January to October. In 1877, J. Richardson, W. M .; E. F. Stevens, S. W .; John F. Briggs, J. W .; A. J. Weston, Treas .; E. F. Edge- comb, Sec. 1878-1879-E. F. Stevens, W. M .; J. M. Libby, S. W .; H. N. Whittle, J. W .; A. J. Weston, Treas .; E. F. Edgecomb, Sec. 1880 -Jesse M. Libby, W. M ; H. M. Whittle, S. W .; Charles H. Adams, J. W .; A. J. Weston, Treas. ; E. F. Edgecomb, Sec. 1881-same officers as 1880 except James II.
1 Winfield C. Dwinal, son of Jacob. He was prominent in Minot business affairs, was a merchant and paper manufacturer, and later a member of the mercantile house of D. W. True & Co., of Portland.
244
HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.
Harper is J. W. 1882-II. N. Whittle, W. M .; John F. Briggs, S. W .; Hollis C. Bray, J. W .; D. B. Perry, Treas. (which office he has since held); E. F. Edgecomb, Sec. 1883-H. N. Whittle, W. M .; H. C. Bray, S. W .; D. R. Greenwood, J. W .; C. E. Stoddard, Sec. 1884-H. C. Bray, W. M .; E. F. Edgecomb, S. W .; J. H. King, J. W .; C. E. Stoddard, Sec. 1885, 1886-E. F. Edgecomb, W. M .; J. H. King, S. W .; Thos. B. Davis, J. W .; E. F. Ross, Sec. 1887, 1888-J. H. King, W. M .; F. R. Harmon, S. W .; H. E. Dennen, J. W .; O. H. Guptill, Sec. 1889-Frank R. Harmon, W. M .; H. E. Dennen, S. W. ; T. B. Davis, J. W .; O. H. Guptill, Sec. 1890-F. R. Harmon, W. H. E. Dennen, S. W .; J. H. DeCoster, J. W .; P. R. Cobb, Sec. 1891 -H. E. Dennen, W. M .; O. H. Guptill, S. W .; F. O. Purington, J. W .; D. B. Perry, Treas. ; F. C. Bucknam, Sec.
Tyrian Lodge has had a most prosperous existence. Twelve candidates have been initiated this year, and the membership in March, 1891, was 201. The lodge has an invested fund of $2,300, owns the furnishings and finishings of its hall, which was fitted up by the lodge. Many pleasant things have occurred to strengthen the bonds of fraternity, and one incident shows the far-extending, watchful care of the brotherhood. A letter was received by the secretary from W. M. James Smith, of Monumental Lodge of Baltimore, under date of July 31, 1864, stating that several trunks had been picked up at sea off Cape Henry, and on opening them in one was found a diploma purporting to belong to Frank M. Cobb, a member of this lodge, and the letter was written to give him, or members of his family, notice that the trunk was safely cared for and requesting orders for its disposition. The work of this lodge has ever been complimented highly by the visiting officers of the Grand Lodge, and its record stands second to none in its district, and the attendance has always been large. But few have held office in the Grand Lodge: Daniel P. Atwood in 1857 and 1861, John M. Eveleth in 1871, Dimon B. Perry in 1876, Edward F. Stevens in 1881 and 1882 have been District Deputy Grand Masters, and E. F. Edgecomb was a member of the standing committee on returns of the Grand Lodge in 1886 and 1887. Daniel W. True and W. F. Milliken, made Masons in this lodge, later became prominent business men of Portland. The lodge has a select library of several hundred volumes.
Union Royal Arch Chapter, No. 36, Mechanic Falls .- In 1872, ninth month, twenty-sixth day, G. II. P. John W. Ballou granted to J. M. Eveleth, D. B. Perry, C. H. Dwinal, J. L. Tenney, Josiah Carr, A. Golderman, D. H. McCann, Adna T. Denison, E. F. Stevens, W. B. Bucknam, S. G. Hatch, F. E. Crockett, A. (). Noyes, M. M. Fuller, Calvin E. Evans, H. D. Smith, S. F. Sargent, George Moore, Zenas Thompson, John Hooper, W. G. Lowell, Luther Perkins, D. S. Perkins, Mark Crockett, Ceylon Watson, and George E. Hawkes, a dispensation for a chapter of Royal Arch Masons at Mechanic Falls. J. M. Eveleth was appointed H. P .; E. F. Stevens, K .; and D. B. Perry, S.
245
MASONIC AND ODD FELLOW SOCIETIES.
The chapter held its first meeting October 8, 1872. The charter was granted May 7, 1873. The charter members were D. B. Perry, E. F. Stevens, J. L. Tenney, Josiah Carr, A. Golderman, D. N. McCann, G. E. Hawkes, Mark Crockett, C. H. Dwinal, A. T. Denison, W. G. Lowell, W. B. Bucknam, A. Oscar Noyes, Fred E. Crockett, David G. Millett, S. G. Hatch, L. B. Weeks. C. F. Durell, J. M. Eveleth, George Moore, Zenas Thompson, Luther Perkins, H. D. Smith, James S. Merrill, Wm H. Pierce, Thos S. Turner, Geo. H. Butler, Moses S. Jordan, Jeffrey Parsons, Geo. W. Hobbs, Charles A. Pierce, Albert E. Sawyer, Hiram B. King. G. H. P. Horace H. Burbank constituted the chapter October 9, 1873, and these officers were installed: J. M. Eveleth, H. P .; E. F. Stevens, K .; D. B. Perry, S .; W. B. Bucknam, Treas .; C. H. Dwinal, Sec .; Zenas Thompson, Chap .; D. N. McCann, C. H .; A. T. Denison, P. S .; H. B. King, R. A. C .; J. L. Tenney, M. 3d V .; J. S. Merrill, M. 2d V .; S. H. Hutchinson, M. 1st V .; Charles A. Pierce, Sent. Officers for 1874: J. M. Eveleth, H. P .; E. F. Stevens, K .; D. B. Perry, S .; W. B. Bucknam, Treas .; C. H. Dwinal, Sec .; 1875-E. F. Stevens, H. P .; D. B. Perry, K .; Thomas S. Turner, S .; C. H. Dwinal, Treas .; Hollis C. Bray, Sec .; 1876- E. F. Stevens, H. P .; P. R. Cobb, K .; J. S. Merrill, S .; C. H. Dwinal, Treas .; J. E. Adams, Sec .; 1877-E. F. Stevens, H. P .: P. R. Cobb, K .; S. H. Hutchinson, S .; C. H. Dwinal, Treas .; J. S. Merrill, Sec .; 1878 -P. R. Cobb, H. P .; J. M. Eveleth, K .; J. F. Briggs, S .; C. H. Dwinal, Treas .; J. S. Merrill, Sec .; 1879-1880 -P. R. Cobb, H. P .; J. F. Briggs, K .; W. Waters, S .; C. H. Dwinal, Treas .; E. F. Stevens, Sec .; 1881-J. F. Briggs, H. P .; Wm Waters, K .; H. C. Bray, S .; C. H. Dwinal, Treas .; E. F. Stevens, Sec. John F. Briggs, H. P., was buried with Masonic honors March 15, 1882. A dispensation was given this year changing the place of meeting to Norway, and in 1883 that place was continued as the home of the chapter.
Nezinscot Lodge, No. 101, Turner .- In 1859 several members of the Masonic fraternity, residing in this town, desiring more of the benefits of the order than could be given by the lodges to which they held allegiance conceived the idea of a lodge in Turner, which was fostered by informal meetings held in the law office of M. T. Ludden, and culminated in a petition to the Grand Lodge for a dispensation signed by Geo. W. Turner, Hira Bradford, H. M. Mayo, Philo Clark, Seth D. Andrews, Deering Farrar, F. M. Mayo, M. T. Ludden, Wm Bray, Henry Turner, Chas E. Bradford, Gilbert Phillips, Rufus Prince, Lewis A. Farrar. They were vouched for "by Tranquil Lodge of Danville," and the petition was countersigned by R. W. Augustus Callahan, D. D. G. M. of the second Masonic district.
A dispensation was granted March 1, 1860, and the first regular communi- cation was held at Masonic Hall, March 3, 1860. There were present Geo. W. Turner, W. M .; Seth D. Andrews, S. W .; Horatio M. Mayo, J. W .- the officers named in the dispensation, and these brethren, Ilira Bradford, Deering
246
HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.
Farrar, Lewis A. Farrar, F. M. Mayo, M. T. Ludden, Rufus Prince, Charles E. Bradford, Henry Turner, Gilbert Phillips. Deering Farrar was chosen treasurer; Rufus Prince, Sec .; C. E. Bradford, S. D .; H. Turner, J. D .; G. Phillips, S. S .; F. M. Mayo, J. S .; Philo Clark, M .; M. T. Ludden, Tyler. Five petitions for membership were presented and the new lodge started under very favorable auspices. June 2, 1860, occurred the first election of officers : G. W. Turner, W. M .; S. D. Andrews, S. W .; H. M. Mayo, J. W .; D. Farrar, Treas .; Rufus Prince, Sec. June 23 was a great day for the new lodge. A past master's lodge was opened by M. W. Josiah H. Drummond, Grand Master, W. M .; M. W. Reuel Washburn, S. W .; Joseph Covell, J. W .; other officers of the Grand Lodge filling the other stations. The degree of past master was then conferred on G. W. Turner, the master-elect, after which the Grand Lodge officers "consecrated, constituted, and dedicated Nezinscot Lodge in ample form," and the officers were publicly installed in the Baptist church. June 26, 1861, were elected Geo. W. Turner, W. M .; S. D. Andrews, S. W .; Silas Morse, J. W .; D. Farrar, Treas .; R. Prince, Sec. ; M. T. Ludden, S. S .; H. Turner, J. D. December 14 a contribution was sent to the erection fund of the Dunlap monument. In 1862 the officers of 1861 were re-elected. The celebration of the anniversary of the introduction of Masonry into Maine, held at Portland, June 24, was attended as a lodge. January 3, 1863, a committee was chosen "to procure a legislative charter." January 24, Masonic rites were held in memory of Thomas W. Davis, who died in the army. June 17 Hira Bradford's funeral services were conducted. June 27, 1863, elected Seth D. Andrews, W. M .; Charles E. Bradford, S. W .; M. T. Ludden, J. W .; Phillips Bradford, Treas .; Jas. P. Waterman, Sec .; H. C. Haskell, S. D .; Eland Fuller, J. D. July 25 officers installed by R. W. D. D. G. M. Joseph P. Gill. August 12 the burial services of Gen. Alden Blossom were attended. April 16, 1864, G. W. Turner was chosen rep- resentative to the Grand Lodge. May 21 voted to attend the celebration of St John's day to be held at Livermore Falls. June 8 a special meeting was held at the house of Timothy Pratt to bury Major Archibald D. Leavitt with Masonic honors. Charles E. Bradford was W. M. this year.
Up to this period much good material had been incorporated into the lodge. October 11 the funeral services of Bro. W. H. Torrey, "died in battle," were held. November 15 the funeral of Bro. W. M. Bridgham was attended. Officers, 1865: M. T. Ludden, W. M. ; L. P. Bradford, S. W .; Thomas W. Bowman, J. W .; F. T. Faulkner, Treas .; J. B. Waterman, Sec .; Charles Blake, S. D .; Gilbert Phillips, J. D. August 5 the lodge instructed the W. M. to pay Cyrus Cole $500 for a deed of the hall, building, and land. August 25, 1866, voted $300 for repairs. M. T. Ludden was Master in 1866; D. H. Teague, Sec .; L. P. Bradford, S. W .; T. W. Bowman, J. W. Bro. G. W. Turner is now D. D. G. M .; Philo Clark, Representative. 1867 - officers elected, L. P. Bradford, W.
Need help finding more records? Try our genealogical records directory which has more than 1 million sources to help you more easily locate the available records.