History of Androscoggin County, Maine, Part 46

Author: Merrill, Georgia Drew, ed
Publication date: 1891
Publisher: Boston, W.A. Fergusson & co.
Number of Pages: 1050


USA > Maine > Androscoggin County > History of Androscoggin County, Maine > Part 46


Note: The text from this book was generated using artificial intelligence so there may be some errors. The full pages can be found on Archive.org (link on the Part 1 page).


Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5 | Part 6 | Part 7 | Part 8 | Part 9 | Part 10 | Part 11 | Part 12 | Part 13 | Part 14 | Part 15 | Part 16 | Part 17 | Part 18 | Part 19 | Part 20 | Part 21 | Part 22 | Part 23 | Part 24 | Part 25 | Part 26 | Part 27 | Part 28 | Part 29 | Part 30 | Part 31 | Part 32 | Part 33 | Part 34 | Part 35 | Part 36 | Part 37 | Part 38 | Part 39 | Part 40 | Part 41 | Part 42 | Part 43 | Part 44 | Part 45 | Part 46 | Part 47 | Part 48 | Part 49 | Part 50 | Part 51 | Part 52 | Part 53 | Part 54 | Part 55 | Part 56 | Part 57 | Part 58 | Part 59 | Part 60 | Part 61 | Part 62 | Part 63 | Part 64 | Part 65 | Part 66 | Part 67 | Part 68 | Part 69 | Part 70 | Part 71 | Part 72 | Part 73 | Part 74 | Part 75 | Part 76 | Part 77 | Part 78 | Part 79 | Part 80 | Part 81 | Part 82 | Part 83 | Part 84 | Part 85 | Part 86 | Part 87 | Part 88 | Part 89 | Part 90 | Part 91 | Part 92 | Part 93 | Part 94 | Part 95 | Part 96 | Part 97 | Part 98 | Part 99 | Part 100 | Part 101 | Part 102 | Part 103 | Part 104 | Part 105 | Part 106 | Part 107 | Part 108


The Lewiston Falls Water-Power Company, in 1851, built a large saw-mill on the site now occupied by the pumping station of the Lewiston water works. It was a commodious building, furnished with the best of machinery for manufacturing lumber, cost $7,000, and was leased to Captain Daniel Holland for five years. This mill was also destroyed by fire, on the evening of August 28, 1852. Besides that part of the building occupied by Captain Holland, the basement was used by Charles Dean for planing lumber, having two planing machines; the chamber by Cyrus Parsons, who had one planing machine, and the attic by Wedgewood & Prescott, carpenters. There were 28 persons employed in the building. The Water-Power Company immediately rebuilt the mill, which, in March, 1856, was leased to Samuel R. Bearce & Co., and used by them until the property was sold to the city.


R. C. Pingree & Co .- In 1865 S. R. Bearce & Co. built a large steam mill, 60 x 114 feet, costing nearly $60,000, on the river about a fourth of a mile above the Maine Central station, where they commenced the manufacture of lumber in 1866. It is one of the best mills in the state, has gang, circular, shingle, clapboard, and lath saws, and planing machines. The power is a 250 horse-power engine. The annual production is about 13,250,000 feet of long lumber, 6,000,000 shingles, 850,000 laths, and 600,000 clapboards, valued at $250,000, and employs 100 men. Since the death of Mr Bearce the business has been carried on by R. C. Pingree & Co. Mr Pingree has been identified with the management of the mill ever since it was put in operation.


Read, Small & Co .- A steam-mill, which cost $7,500, was built at Barker's Mills, in 1847, by Read, Small & Co. It had one shingle saw, one shingle and one lath machine. The mill was burned September 10, 1852, and rebuilt the


384


HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.


same year. In October, 1859, it was purchased by James Wood & Co., and removed to the "Falls," about one-half mile above the Maine Central station. The company purchased about 14 aeres of land on the river for a mill-yard and other purposes. In 1860 the company was incorporated as the Lewiston Steam-Mill Company, with a capital of $50,000, which, in 1867, was increased to $100,000. The corporators were Stephen H. Read, James Wood, John N. Wood, and John N. Small. The company bought 35,000 acres of timber land, mostly spruce, on the Androscoggin and its tributaries, employed 60 men, disbursed about $3,500 per month, and manufactured annually 4,700,000 long lumber, 2,400,000 laths, 1,900,000 shingles, and 195,000 clapboards, valued at $100,000. The company suspended operations in September, 1887, and in October, 1888, the mill and adjoining land was sold to R. C. Pingree & Co. for $18,000. July 5, 1889, the mill was destroyed by fire. James Wood, Esq., was agent of the company from the commencement.


Barker's Mills .- About 1775, Jacob Barker built a grist-mill on the stream which takes its rise in Mine Meadow, Greene, and flows into the Androscoggin two miles above the falls. For some years after the destruction of the Harris grist-mill this was the only one in the plantation. A few years later Mr Barker built a saw-mill on the same stream, where he did considerable business in manufacturing lumber. These mills were rebuilt once or twice by his son, Cyrus Barker, and once in 1834 by his grandson, Nelson P. Barker. About 1870 they passed into the hands of Dwelley & Moore, who did an extensive business in the manufacture of meal and huumber. The mills have passed through several hands since 1865, and are now owned by Messrs Libby & Dingley. For more than a year they have not been in operation.


Not far from 1800 a saw-mill was built on the rips opposite Boxer's Island, by William Blaisdell and Thomas Jepson, which was burned about 1812. A saw-mill was early built on Stetson brook, by James Randall, which was removed to Auburn. A shingle mill, erected by Jamison and Given, below the saw-mill, was standing in 1847. About 1800 Colonel Joel Thompson, Captain Isaac Cotton, and Captain Joseph Dill built a saw-mill at the outlet of No Name pond, where they manufactured considerable ship timber. Edward Estes had a saw-mill on the brook below the Stephen Hart place. It was built about 1820. The remains of a stone dam are now visible.


MANUFACTURES. - Lewiston Falls Manufacturing Company .- Some years previous to 1819 there was on the site of the new mill recently owned and operated by the Home Manufacturing Company, a small carding and fulling mill, owned, it is probable, by Mr Michael Little. The discovery of two or more leases given by Michael Little to different parties to operate these mills seems conclusive. Hitherto Colonel Josiah Little, father of Michael, has been regarded as the owner. Michael Little came here quite early, and resided in Lewiston and Minot for many years. He died in Minot, April 2, 1830. Mr


385


CITY OF LEWISTON.


Little graduated from Dartmouth College in the class of 1792. We are unable to fix the date when this mill was built, and it does not appear to have been very successful. It was in 1819 that the services of Mr Dean Frye, father of Colonel John M. Frye, were obtained. Mr Frye came from Brunswick. He had had large experience in earding wool and finishing cloth. Under his management the business readily assumed an importance which it had never experienced. The mill was burned in 1829, but in 1830 a new mill, 38 x 60 feet, and three stories high, was completed. The basement was occupied as a clothier's fulling mill, and the second story for carding rolls and finishing cloth. It was under the management of Mr Dean Frye and his son, John M. Frye, whose previous experience and skill in business soon gave character and influence to the enterprise. Successful in these operations to an extent unusual for those days, the Messrs Frye were induced to make the experiment of manufacturing satinet. This new effort required more capital, as well as a broader basis of action, and to secure these a legislative charter for the Lewiston Falls Manufacturing Company ($100,000 capital) was obtained February 26, 1834. This was the first charter granted for manufacturing purposes in Lewiston. The corporators were John M. Frye and William R. Frye. The organization was completed at once, the directors being Edward Little, Samuel Pickard, John A. Briggs, William R. Frye, and John M. Frye. The first meeting of the directors was held June 12, 1834, when Edward Little was elected president, Samuel Pickard, treasurer, and William R. Frye, clerk. June 30, 1834, John M. Frye was elected agent, with a salary of $300 per annum, with the promise that if the business was successful $50 should be added. The company immediately bought the fulling mill and water privilege, with sufficient land for the new enterprise, of the Littles. The fulling mill was converted into a satinet mill, with two sets of machinery. These were the first looms "started up " in Lewiston. The success which attended this mill induced the company to enlarge their business, and, in 1836, the brick mill called the cassimere mill was built, taking the name from the goods manu- factured. Hardly was the mill completed before the spring freshet of 1837 undermined the mill on the river side, causing the whole wall to fall into the river. This misfortune, followed by the financial embarrassments of that year, were peculiarly disheartening. But, although young, without experience, and comparatively unknown in the market, yet the quality and texture of their goods secured the favorable notice of purchasers, commanded good prices, and brought early sales. For more than forty years these mills enjoyed unexampled prosperity. They were very prudently and wisely managed and their goods were readily sold. Much of the prosperity was due to the judgment and sound business ability of the agent, Colonel John M. Frye, and Samuel Pickard, Esq., who for many years was the treasurer. Colonel Frye remained agent until age and infirmities compelled him to retire. There were manufactured


386


HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.


repellents, meltons, and cassimercs to the amount of 230,000 yards per annum. There were six sets of machinery, which required 90 operatives, about one-half females. The monthly disbursements were $2,000, and the annual consump- tion of wool 250,000 pounds, about one-half purchased in Maine. For several years after the retirement of Colonel Frye the mills were in operation but a part of the time, but in November, 1881, they were sold to D. Cowan & Co., and in January, 1882, passed into the control of the Home Manufacturing Company, a local corporation having a capital of $100,000. The company run six sets of cards, 20 looms, manufactured 2,000 yards of flannels daily, and employed 50 operatives. The daily consumption of wool was 1,000 pounds, and the monthly pay-roll, $1,800. Recently the company closed operations and the plant has been sold to the Gay-Woodman Company.


The First Cotton Mill .- About 1836 Mr John A. Briggs put up a wooden building on the site of the Cowan woolen mill. The rear of the building was three stories high, and the basement was occupied by a Mr Johnson, a machinist who did a small business. The second story was occupied by Colonel Temple T'ebbets, a cabinet maker who did wood-turning, confining his business mostly to cabinet work. Mr Tebbets was a native of Lisbon and came here about 1831-2. The upper story was occupied by Ephraim Wood for manufacturing cotton warps and batting. He was the pioneer in this place in the manufacture of cotton. He finally removed to Winthrop. Joseph B. Harding, of Gorham, became proprietor after Mr Wood. This was in 1840-41. He continued the manufacture of batting and cotton warps, and about 1844 made additions to the mill, putting in three looms for weaving cotton cloths. Mr Harding made the first cotton goods in Lewiston, and continued their manufacture for several years with considerable success. After Mr Harding sold out he removed to Yarmouth. The "old mill " was partially destroyed by fire March 17, 1850, and the remainder was removed by the Water-Power Company in April, to make room for the flour and grist-mill. For several years it had been owned by the Water-Power Company and operated to some extent by them.


Lewiston Water-Power Company. - The predecessor of this company, the Great Androscoggin Falls, Dam, Locks, and Canal Company, was incorporated February 23, 1836, with a capital of $100,000, the charter being granted to Edward Little, Josiah Little, of Newbury, Thomas B. Little, Josiah Little, of Minot, Samuel Pickard, and Edward T. Little, their associates, etc., "for the purpose of erecting and constructing dams, locks, canals, mills, works, machines, and buildings on their own lands, and also manufacturing cotton, wool, iron, steel, and paper in the towns of Lewiston, Minot, and Danville." The corpo- rators owned the water-power and a large amount of land on both sides of the river in the immediate vicinity of the falls. In 1837 the company procured the services of Mr B. F. Perham, of Boston, a civil engineer, who made a survey and a plan, showing the survey and levels as well as profiles of different


387


CITY OF LEWISTON.


sections of the territory. This plan the company published. Desiring, a few years later, to establish cotton and woolen manufacturing to an extent hitherto unknown at the "Falls," the corporation, in 1845, secured a change of name to the Lewiston Water-Power Company, which was formally inserted in the charter by a vote of the company, November 19, 1845. Certificates of stock under the new name were issued to the share-holders, who soon sold them to parties in Boston. The Water-Power Company, from 1846 to 1850, purchased several valuable lots of land on both sides of the river. In the spring of 1850 work was commenced on the canal. The first section, as far as the Bates Mills, was completed in May, 1851. The canal is 62 feet wide, 14 feet deep, and the extensions made since 1851 have made it about three- fourths of a mile in length. There are several short, or cross canals, connecting the main canal with the river. The locks at the head of the canal are a fine piece of masonry, built of granite laid in cement, and contain 18 large gates, and two fly-gates whose capacity is equal to six of the other gates. The capital of the company was increased, June 18, 1849, "$1,500,000, to be divided into shares of $100 each." From the commencement of opera- · tions in 1850, and for several years afterwards, the company continued to improve and utilize the great water-power, and did much to develop the growth and prosperity of the town. Much of its land was put into the market, new streets were laid out and graded, and Lewiston assumed an air of activity and genuine thrift.


Franklin Company. - This company was incorporated April 3, 1854, with a capital of $1,000,000, but was not organized until November 25, 1856. It pur- chased the property of the Water-Power Company, assumed control in April following, and still controls a large portion of the original purchase. The spring freshet of 1862 carried away a section of the dam adjoining the eastern shore, which was replaced by a substantial granite dam during that year. In 1863 and 1864 the remaining portions of the dam were built, the whole costing about $100,000. This is one of the most substantial granite dams in the country. The company owns the land near the falls on both sides of the river, and several hundred acres in and around the thickly settled portions of Lewiston and Auburn. It owns the Lincoln Mill, the Cowan Mill building, the De Witt House, about one-fourth of the Bleachery, and many shops and buildings. The agents of the Lewiston Water-Power Company and the Franklin Company have been Mr Luke Bemis, Mr George L. Ward (who came about 1850), Benjamin I. Leeds, who remained until 1860, when Amos D. Lockwood, Esq., assumed the agency, which he retained about 11 years. Mr N. W. Farwell became agent in 1871, and resigned in February, 1873. From Mr Farwell's resignation the company had no local agent (the business being done generally by the clerk) until the appointment of the present agent, Mr Stephen Lee.


388


HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.


Lincoln Mill .- The success which attended the manufacture of cotton cloths in the "Old Cotton Mill," induced a number of the most enterprising citizens of Lewiston to apply to the legislature for a charter to enable them to enter upon the business of making cotton cloths to an extent not before attempted. The charter to the Lewiston Falls Cotton Mill Company, with a capital of $100,000, was granted March 1, 1845, the corporators being Calvin Gorham, James Lowell, Elisha Stetson, Daniel Cary, Daniel Briggs, John M. Frye, Nelson B. Reynolds, Howe Weeks, Stephen Davis, Edward Little, and Alonzo Garcelon. The proprietors soon commenced the construction of the mill, Captain Daniel Holland, contractor. There was a large excavation to be made in the ledge where the eastern extremity of the mill was to rest, that consumed considerable time. The foundation was completed and the brick work commenced September 1, 1845. Before the mill was completed it was bought (March 5, 1846,) by the Water-Power Company. It was finished during the summer, and the first loom "started up" October 5, 1846. Mr Zeba Bliss was superintendent of the mill for several years. The building was 46 x 102 feet in size, and five stories high. This enterprise was very successful. The goods made were plain sheetings of a standard quality, and found a ready market. In 1867 and 1868 additions were made, increasing its capacity several fold. The Franklin Company concluded to make an addition to the Hill machine shop, connect it with the Lincoln Mill, and convert it into a cotton factory. Besides this the mill received an addition of 53 feet on the eastern end. These extensions and additions increased its capacity from 5,472 to 21,747 spindles. The Lincoln Mill, as it now stands, is 56 x 182 feet, and five stories high. With its present machinery it is capable of annually producing 3,000,000 yards of forty-inch sheetings, and consuming 1,040,000 pounds of cotton. It requires 124 males and 280 females when in full operation. The mill has not run since July, 1884.


Bates Manufacturing Company .- Bates, No. 1, was the first cotton factory erected after the Water-Power Company commenced the development of the manufacturing interests. This company was incorporated in 1850. The cor- porators were Alexander De Witt, Thomas B. Little, Jacob W. Pierce, Thomas 1. Hill, Silas Titcomb, and George L. Ward. Immediately after incorporation the company commenced the construction of this mill, which was completed and put in operation in 1852. As originally built it was 60 x 280 feet, and four stories high. It is situated on the west side of the main canal, less than one-fourth of a mile south of Main street. Soon after it was in operation the company com- menced a second mill situated only a few rods south of No. 1. No. 2 " was started" in 1854, and was the same size of No. 1 (60 x 280), and four stories high. In 1863 the company began its third (woolen) mill, which commenced manu- facturing in 1865. No. 3 is 50 x 170 feet in size and three stories high. When operated as a woolen mill it manufactured Moscow beavers, repellents, fancy


389


CITY OF LEWISTON.


cassimeres and slasher cloths, making 118,925 yards per annum. It had 8 sets of machinery, 30 broad looms, and required 125 operatives, 50 of whom were females. More than 350,000 pounds of wool were consumed yearly. July 16, 1878, the woolen mill was damaged by fire, and in October it was changed to a cotton mill. In 1882 there were large additions made to No. 1 and two other mills by putting on another story to each, extending No. 1 to the cross canal, and adding about 30 feet to the southerly end of No. 2. These mills have been run with more than ordinary success, under the direction of Messrs D. M. Ayer, C. I. Barker, and H. L. Pratt, who have successively been agents. The number of spindles is 58,392. There are 1,333 narrow and 262 broad looms. There are 1,865 operatives employed; 1,039 are females. There are annually consumed 5,230,132 pounds of cotton, and the value of dyes used is more than $63,000. The Bates manufactures fancy goods, Marseilles, crochet, and com- mon quilts, dress goods, ginghams, etc., etc., amounting to 15,032,077 yards per annum. The pay-roll for two weeks is $23,125. Besides the mills there is a large dye-house, cloth-hall, two pickers, two cotton houses, and a repair shop. Its capital is $1,000,000.


Hill Manufacturing Company .- Among our manufacturing enterprises none, with a single exception, has been so long under the management of one agent as the Hill Corporation. This company was incorporated August 16, 1850. Benjamin E. Bates, Thomas B. Little, Albert H. Kelsey, Seth W. Fowle, and George L. Ward were the corporators. The capital was $350,000, which has been increased to $1,000,000. The company operates two mills and manufactures cotton goods exclusively. The first mill, No. 1, was completed in 1854 and put in operation immediately. Its second mill, No. 2, was not finished until 1864, when manufacturing commenced. These mills are 69 x 216 feet, and six stories high. Connected with the mills are two pickers, four stories high. There are 53,976 spindles, and 1,238 looms; 700 persons are employed, 500 of whom are females. There are 8,700,000 yards of fine sheetings, shirtings, satteens, contils, and twills manufactured, annually, which require 2,400,000 pounds of cotton. The monthly pay-roll amounts to $20,000. Mr J. G. Coburn has been agent since it commenced operations until recently. Mr William D. Pennell is now agent.


Androscoggin Mill .- This is one of the mammoth cotton mills of the country. It was incorporated in 1854 as the Arkwright Company, with a capital of $500,000, Benjamin E. Bates, A. H. Kelsey, and George L. Ward being the corporators. It does not appear that any business was done by this corporation, but in 1860 the name was changed to the Androscoggin Company, and the capital increased to $1,000,000. Immediately the company began the mill, and commenced manufacturing in 1861. The mill is 74 x 542 feet, five stories high, with two wings each 48 x 100 feet, with four stories. The second mill is 74 x 180 feet, and three stories high. This mill commenced operations in


390


HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.


1867. The third mill is 74 x 166 feet and three stories in height, and was started up in 1872. The Androscoggin Mill has 61,912 spindles, and 1,455 looms. It employs 960 operatives; 610 are females. The annual production is 10,400,000 yards of sheetings, seersuckers, shirtings, and satteen jeans, and 3,000,000 seamless bags. They consume 60 tons of starch. A. D. Lockwood was agent from 1861 until 1870, when J. W. Danielson became agent. W. F. Goulding succeeded Mr Danielson, and retained the position until his death, April 16, 1885, when David Pheteplace became agent. Mr Pheteplace was succeeded by George W. Bean, the present agent.


Continental Mills. - This company was incorporated February 4, 1865, with a capital of $1,500,000. The corporators were A. H. Fiske, Benjamin E. Bates, and Josiah Bardwell. In 1866 the company purchased the Porter Mill, which commenced manufacturing as early as 1858, and changed the name to Continental Mills. In 1872 the company enlarged the original mill by an addition of 230 feet in length by 75 feet in width, five stories high, making the building 554 feet long. There was also added a wing, 346 feet in length and 75 feet in width. The building is covered with a Mansard roof. It has 75,000 spindles and 1,650 looms. The whole number of employés is 1,200; 900 females. There are used annually 6,000,000 pounds of cotton. The annual production is 18,500,000 yards of brown sheetings and drills, and 150,000 pounds of batting. The monthly pay-roll is $40,000. There have been four agents, viz .: R. A. Budlong, Stephen I. Abbott, E. S. Davis, and the present agent, H. L. Aldrich, Jr.


Lewiston Mill .- This company was incorporated February 8, 1853, as the Lewiston Bagging Company, with a capital of $50,000; A. H. Kelsey, George L. Ward, Edward A. Raymond, and Marshall French, corporators. For several years the company leased rooms in the Cowan Woolen Mill, and subsequently occupied rooms in the Continental Mill. In 1860 it commenced the erection of its first mill, which was completed and put in operation in 1861. This mill is 72 x 164 feet and four stories high, with a wing 50 x 121 feet, also four stories in height. The second mill was completed in 1866, and is 72 x 108 feet, having a wing 43 x 95 feet, four stories in height. In 1863 the corporation was authorized to change its name to Lewiston Mill and increase its capital $300,000. The mill had 18,792 spindles, and manufactured tickings, cotton- ades, osnaburgs, fancy, plaid, stripe, and plain,-colored ducks, and cotton bags. It also manufactured 800,000 pounds of yarn per annum. It employed 800 operatives, 520 of whom were females. The annual consumption of cotton was 4,200,000 pounds. In July, 1886, the company suspended operations and the mill was idle until May 1, 1889, when a new company was formed, and the plant purchased. The new company was incorporated in 1889 with a capital of $300,000. The stock is largely owned in this community. The company runs 23,140 spindles and 593 looms, and employs 300 males and 400 females,


391


CITY OF LEWISTON.


and manufactures tickings, cottonades, osnaburgs, fancy, plaid, stripe, plain, and colored ducks, turkey-red damasks, domett-flannels, horse-netting, and fly-clothis, and up to January, 1891, cotton bags. The company consumes 4,200,000 pounds of cotton per annum. It dyes 800,000 pounds of goods annually, and expends for dyes about $30,000. The monthly pay-roll and disbursements in Lewiston is $16,000. C. I. Barker, agent.


Avon Mill. - This company was incorporated in 1882, commenced the erec- tion of the mill June 1, 1882, and begun manufacturing in March, 1883. The mill is 50x 100 feet in size, with bleachery, 24x50 feet; dye house, 50 x 67 feet ; 75 persons are employed, 50 of whom are females. The whole number of looms is 56, 24 of which are broad. At the Avon are manufactured fancy, colored, and crochet quilts and Turkish towels. The number of quilts pro- duced annually is 204,000, and 840,000 towels. Monthly disbursements, $2,000. January 1, 1891, the capital was $100,000; A. D. Barker, agent; F. H. Packard, treasurer.


Lewiston Bleachery and Dye Works. - The bleachery commenced operations in 1860, having been leased by the Franklin Company to Mr N. W. Farwell, who did an extensive business until 1870. On the expiration of Mr Farwell's lease extensive repairs were made, and, in January, 1872, the Lewiston Bleachery and Dye Works was incorporated, with a chartered right to hold property to the amount of $1,000,000. The corporators were Lyman Nichols, Benjamin E. Bates, and William B. Wood. The bleachery is now owned by the Franklin, Androscoggin, and Bates companies, and the Pepperell and Laconia companies, of Biddeford. It is now able to turn out 30 tons of bleached goods a day, and employs 438 operatives, 35 of whom are females. The monthly pay-roll is $45,000. The dye works consume $100,000 worth of drugs and dyes per annum; and the value of finished goods amounts to $5,400,000. A box-shop connected with the bleachery manufactures 180 cases daily, and uses yearly 2,100,000 feet of spruce lumber. The annual consump- tion of coal is 6,000 tons; lime, 1,800 barrels; soda-ash, 360,000 pounds; bleaching powders, 260,000 pounds; sulphuric acid, 6,000 carboys; potato starch, 80 tons; wheat and corn starch, 200 tons; sago flour, 50 tons ; flour, 24 tons.




Need help finding more records? Try our genealogical records directory which has more than 1 million sources to help you more easily locate the available records.