History of Androscoggin County, Maine, Part 74

Author: Merrill, Georgia Drew, ed
Publication date: 1891
Publisher: Boston, W.A. Fergusson & co.
Number of Pages: 1050


USA > Maine > Androscoggin County > History of Androscoggin County, Maine > Part 74


Note: The text from this book was generated using artificial intelligence so there may be some errors. The full pages can be found on Archive.org (link on the Part 1 page).


Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5 | Part 6 | Part 7 | Part 8 | Part 9 | Part 10 | Part 11 | Part 12 | Part 13 | Part 14 | Part 15 | Part 16 | Part 17 | Part 18 | Part 19 | Part 20 | Part 21 | Part 22 | Part 23 | Part 24 | Part 25 | Part 26 | Part 27 | Part 28 | Part 29 | Part 30 | Part 31 | Part 32 | Part 33 | Part 34 | Part 35 | Part 36 | Part 37 | Part 38 | Part 39 | Part 40 | Part 41 | Part 42 | Part 43 | Part 44 | Part 45 | Part 46 | Part 47 | Part 48 | Part 49 | Part 50 | Part 51 | Part 52 | Part 53 | Part 54 | Part 55 | Part 56 | Part 57 | Part 58 | Part 59 | Part 60 | Part 61 | Part 62 | Part 63 | Part 64 | Part 65 | Part 66 | Part 67 | Part 68 | Part 69 | Part 70 | Part 71 | Part 72 | Part 73 | Part 74 | Part 75 | Part 76 | Part 77 | Part 78 | Part 79 | Part 80 | Part 81 | Part 82 | Part 83 | Part 84 | Part 85 | Part 86 | Part 87 | Part 88 | Part 89 | Part 90 | Part 91 | Part 92 | Part 93 | Part 94 | Part 95 | Part 96 | Part 97 | Part 98 | Part 99 | Part 100 | Part 101 | Part 102 | Part 103 | Part 104 | Part 105 | Part 106 | Part 107 | Part 108


The railroad reached Auburn in 1848, and the village began to grow rapidly. In 1849 it became a part of Lewiston Falls village. The formation of Andros- coggin county in 1854, the location of the county seat at Auburn, and erection of the county buildings attracted business and professional men. The growth of the village was now assured and a nucleus formed for a great manufacturing and business city.


607


CITY OF AUBURN.


The business houses in 1851 were: Stoves, hardware, etc., J. D. Davis & Co .; dry goods, groceries, etc., J. H. Roak & Co., Cobb, Bartlett & Co., G. H. Ambrose, B. Hersey, C. H. Rice, Clark & Mudgett; apothecaries, Rowe & Reynolds; blacksmiths, Albert Folsom, Strout & Stinchfield; books, stationery, etc., McKenney & Hall, A. W. Hall; boots, shoes, etc., J. H. Roak & Co., G. H. Ambrose, Pray & French, Sumner Wood; furniture, Jesse Fuller; carpenters, - Moore, John Wilson, Alfred Townsend, John Simpson; carriage-makers, Thayer & Perry, E. L. Townsend, A. W. Allen; civil engineer, W. A. Williams; clothing, G. M. French, Levi Gould; daguerreotypes, Henry Baldwin, Jr; dentist, D. B. Strout; express offices, Longley & Co. (G. W. Foss, agent), Winslow & Co. (A. Town, agent); harnesses, J. P. Longley, Lyman Wood; hats, caps, and furs, Charles H. Rice, Levi Gould, Sumner Wood, G. M. French; iron founders, Nathaniel French & Sons; machinist, J. C. French; marble works, H. R. Smith; masons, Elbridge Coffin, C. W. Kyle, B. Wentworth, Moses Wentworth, S. G. Alden, John Levett; musical instruments, Freeman Newell; painters, Herman Holt, Isaac Haskell, H. V. Daggett, Horace Bradford, Thomas Storah, H. C. Thayer; provisions, F. B. Cobb, James Goff, Jr, Knight & Vickery, Stephen Rowe, Joseph Lufkin; Elm House, J. C. Lane; Maine Hotel, J. F. Davis; Eagle Hotel, W. S. Young; restaurants, Ingalls & Son, Seward Goss, Jones & Hicks; surveyor, Thomas B. Little; tailors, S. A. Niles, C. Tribou, C. W. Whitney; tanners, Rigby & Miller; toll collector, Hanson Cook; watches and jewelry, McKenney & Hall, A. W. Hall; variety stores, R. Dexter, D. Stinson & Co.


The Great Fire .- August 17, 1855, a fire destroyed the buildings on both sides of Court street from Goff's Corner to Auburn Hall, and on Main street to Maine Hotel. It burned Miller & Randall's tannery, Union Hall, the large brick block of Newell, Haskell & Co., 20 stores, 4 dwellings, and numerous offices. The losses were : Miller, Randall & Co., $5,000; Barker Brooks, $2,000; F. Newell, $2,600; Isaac Haskell, $2,200; N. G. Sturgis, $2,500; Joseph Lufkin, $1,500; Auburn Bank, $400; A. Bailey, $4,000; Hall & Briggs, $300; R. Dexter, $300; P. Dyer, $400; James Goff, Jr, $9,000; Auburn Hall, $200; R. Ingalls & Co., $1,500; Josiah Stone, $700; E. T. Little, $900; A. T. Bean, $2,200; Rufus Penley, $5,000; Wm Penley, $1,500; A. W. Hall, $800; Strout & Woodbury, $500; Josiah Little, $1,400; N. B. Reynolds, $4,500; Small & Littlefield, $750; J. Dingley, Jr, & Co., $9,500; Roak, Packard & Co., $13,000; Sumner Wood, Jr, & Co., $300; John Penley, $800; with others making a loss of $75,000, with insurance of $35,000.


Auburn Village Corporation (chartered March 14, 1856, powers increased April 4, 1856,) was a successor to the Lewiston Falls village corporation, chartered July 30, 1849, and was organized mainly to provide means for extinguishing fires. It had power to raise money for a night watch and police force, etc., and continued active in maintaining a fire department until 1867. The first officers were: Ambrose Herriman, clerk ; Edward T. Little, Nelson Dingley, John R. Merrill, assessors ; Philip A. Briggs, treasurer; Charles Clark, chief engineer; S. P. Miller, W. H. Waldron, George L. Drinkwater, assistant engineers ; Benjamin Dunn, Asa P. Miller, Thomas Littlefield, Andrew C. Pettingill, John R. Merrill, policemen.


A fire department had been maintained from October 30, 1849, when " Excelsior Engine Company, No. 2," was formed with 57 members. Jesse S. Lyford1 was the first foreman, G. W. Foss and Orrin B. Morse, assistants. This company did good service for its equipment.


1 Then a merchant of Auburn; later a mayor of Lewiston and prominent in affairs.


608


HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.


Manufacturing increased steadily during the Civil War and a healthy growth continued with no intermission until the adoption of the city charter.


EAST AUBURN was carly an important business point. Here a grist-mill was built in 1793 by Samuel Berry (who soon built a saw-mill), and many a bag of corn was brought on the shoulders of the hardy pioneers to be made into meal. Mr Berry was from Cobbossecontee. On the lot south (49) in 1797 William Briggs, with a large family, made his home on the place now owned by Royal J. Bradbury, and he built a grist-mill in 1799. On the hard wood lots of land in this vicinity were in 1798 residing, making quite a community for those days, having a school, taught by Daniel Briggs, Thomas Chadbourne, Elijah Fisher from Taunton on lot 40, Arauna Briggs on lot 59, John Dillingham from Dighton on lot 54, Elijah Record on lots 42 and 43, William Francis on part of lot 9. A Baptist society was formed, and a church built in 1819. The mill privilege attracted settlers and about 1827 a carding mill was built by Zenas Whitman and operated until 1860, when it became the furniture factory of Bradford & Conant. In 1859 there were 35 dwellings, several shoe shops, 2 stores, 2 shoe factories, 1 brush factory, 1 carding machine, 1 peg factory, 1 grist-mill, 1 saw-mill, 1 shingle, I clapboard, and 1 planing machine. Here have been made also shook, sugar-boxes, staves, bobbins, and shoe-pegs. Earl Blossom built a peg factory in 1846, which was conducted 20 years. The manufacture of brushes was carried on quite extensively, C. White in 1869 making $10,000 worth. There is now some manufacturing, J. P. Vickery & Co.'s grist-mill, two or three small stores, and a Baptist church. The village is the summer termination of the Lewiston & Auburn horse railroad. The little steamer that plies across the lake has here its eastern landing. A fine grove attracts many visitors and picnic parties in summer. In this part of the town dwells Ira T. Waterman, who has taken more premiums on farm exhibits at the State Fair than any other man in Maine. In 1891 he had 35 exhibits and took 35 premiums. He has a productive farm and a handsome set of buildings. He is of Pilgrim stock and descends from early settlers. (See Minot.)


WEST AUBURN is finely situated on an elevated ridge of land on the west side of Lake Auburn. Its location, 750 feet above tide water, gives pure air and a magnificent outlook. To the east stretches Lake Auburn, with its 1,807 acres of water surface, and beyond, a pleasing rural landscape. James Parker, John Nason, John Downing, Israel Bray, Samuel Verrill, and Benjamin Noyes were the first settlers, locating here in 1789. In 1798 most of them gave preference to locations on Taylor Pond, and a colony from Bridgewater, Mass., James Packard, Asaph Howard, John C. Crafts, James Perkins, Asahel Kingsley, and others, were in possession by 1800. Mr Perkins was an iron worker; did blacksmithing, made wrought nails, hoes, shovels, axes, and other implements and tools used by the settlers, and tradition tells that in the War of 1812 his


609


CITY OF AUBURN.


skill was utilized to make gun-barrels, knives, razors, and tobacco pipes. A flourishing village had grown by 1810, a Congregational church formed, and the East meeting-house built (the frame raised May 25, 1805), and here Rev. Jonathan Scott preached and prayed. A post-office was located here in 1833, but a village was not developed until the Minot Shoe Company was established in 1835. At this time there were but four dwellings within a quarter of a mile of the post-office. For over 30 years shoe manufacturing gave life to the village; in one year $120,000 worth were made. The leading manufacturers were C. S. Packard & Co., and James Munroe & Co. The cessation of manu- facturing largely depopulated the village. L. Packard now wholesales wood and lumber, and E. S. Crafts is in trade. The erection of the commodious Grand View House, combined with the high altitude, pure air and water, and charming diversity of scenery make it an enjoyable summer resort.


NORTH AUBURN. The original proprietors of the lots of this section, settling here from 1785 to 1795, were David Head, Simeon Caswell, and John Staples. There was not much improvement for some years, only a small mill erected by Caswell, but in 1802 Isaac Brett purchased this mill and built another. In 1815 he sold to Timothy Bailey. In 1818 there were five dwellings near the mills, one built by Mr Brett, one by Nathan Warren, one by Artemas Warren, one by Chesley Hatch, and another by David Warren and Artemas Brown. In 1820 Nehemiah and his son, Stephen Packard, bought the mill property,1 and in 1825 Joseph S. Sargent built a tannery. The old mail route to the upper towns passed through the village and made it a central location. Oliver Pollard kept a popular stage tavern, and was the first postmaster of Centre Minot post-office, established in 1825. His hotel was later for many years the home of Gen. Eliphalet Packard, and its site was occupied in 1888 by the fine residence of Lucius Packard. Business improved and steady addition was made to the population. Bradford & Conant bought one-third of the water privilege in 1848 and built a machine shop, and furniture factory; in 1851 the grist-mills of S. Packard, the machine shop, the furniture manufactory, and the tannery of S. D. Harris were burned. All were rebuilt except the tannery. In 1859 there were 300 inhabitants, 46 dwellings, 1 hotel, 2 stores, 1 saw-mill, 1 grist-mill, 1 furniture factory employing 12 men, 2 blacksmiths, 1 tailor, 1 milliner and mantua maker, 2 meeting-houses and several shoe factories. H. M. Bearce & Co. the same year made 25,920 pairs of copper-toed shoes monthly; they also made 200,000 metallic tips monthly. Three other com- panies produced 3,828 pairs of shoes monthly. In 1858 the Universalist and Methodist churches were built. In 1874 North Auburn Co-operative Boot and Shoe Manufacturing Co. was organized with $27,000 capital, and with George Dillingham clerk, Timothy Bailey, J. Q. Edmonds, John E. Ashe, Lucius


1 General Packard, so prominent in Louisiana politics in 1876, was born here.


610


HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.


Packard, Wm H. Briggs, and Wm Brackett directors, and did business for some years. Only a staid, pleasant village -- a quiet hamlet for a summer vacation -with two traders of long standing, C. W. Bird and Isaac Osgood, now exists. Its location on Lake Auburn gives splendid opportunities for boating, etc. Lake Auburn Mineral Spring Company has provided elegant accommodations for summer visitors in the magnificent Lake Auburn Spring House, on the picturesque shores of the lake which possesses characteristics of the famous lochs of Scotland.


STEVENS MILLS. Jacob Stevens (son of Moses, of Turner), of a Gloucester, Mass., family, came in 1789 and settled on lot 97 (500 acres), running west from Merrill hill, with his children, Moses and Parker. He died in 1826, aged 71. His wife, Martha Sawyer, died in 1829, aged 76. His sons built a saw- mill on Taylor brook in 1800, which was operated until about 1860 (clapboard, shingle, and lath machines being added), passing through the hands of Nathan Merrill, George Pierce, and Parsons & Willis. The latter took the mill down and flowed the ground to add to the power of their grist-mill lower down. Moses Stevens built a grist-mill on the same privilege in 1850. Parsons & Willis purchased it about 25 years ago, and used it some time as a carding mill. Moses Stevens married Charlotte Clifford and died in 1871, aged 91. Parker Stevens married Sarah Merrill and died in 1826, aged 41. Children : Seba S. (married a Haskell), Sutton S. (his daughter Melissa married Albert Young, of Auburn), Sarah (married Major Merrill), Jacob, Parker S., Elias M. These all settled here, and a thriving business center, with stores, shops, etc., came into being. Jacob Davis was early in trade, next James Goff, Jr, and then Enoch Littlefield. Forty-five years ago, out of a school of 104 scholars, 60 were named Stevens. Sutton S. Stevens, born 1811, died aged 57, married (1) Phebe Haskell. Children : Isaiah S. (dec.), Lucinda (Mrs Lyseth), Sutton S. She died in 1837, aged 25, and Mr Stevens married (2) Sally A. Haskell. Children : Enos H .; Phebe (Mrs R. W. Merrill) ; Sarah (Mrs A. R. Little- field) ; Charles H .; Wendell S .; Augusta A .; Thomas J. (Portland); Edwin L .; Fred M. (California). Jacob Stevens married a Haskell. Children : Simon ; James M .; 1 Jacob; Everett; Wallace; Anna (Mrs Jenkins). Sutton S. Stevens (the oldest one of the family living) married Fanny Lambert, of Durham. Children : Walter I .; Ralph A .; Anna (Mrs Ulysses Greenlaw). He occupies a farm of 75 acres, containing a part of the old homestead, and is a prosperous farmer and milkman. Charles H. Stevens married Mrs Osgood, has a productive farm, is a Universalist, and, like the Stevenses generally, an uncompromising Democrat. Major Merrill, born April 17, 1810, has lived near Stevens Mills since 1834; married Sarah Stevens. Among his children are Stephen S., Samuel P., William T., and George (of Turner). Stephen S. is


1 HIe has served as overseer of the poor three years, and has represented Ward 2 in the city council.


611


CITY OF AUBURN.


the owner of two farms of 100 acres, including the homestead. Among the other representative farmers are A. G. Haskell and his son, Harry L. Haskell. They have one of the best farms, containing 80 acres, and a valuable milk route. The latter is a prominent Free Mason and has done good service in both branches of the city government.


NEW AUBURN, below the Little Androscoggin, was created by the erection of Barker Mill and other operations of the L. A. W. P. Company, which placed building lots on sale. It is rapidly growing. Broad street bridge brings it close to Lewiston, and the Belt line horse-cars give easy access to that city. Of late the French have sought homes in New Auburn, and a French Catholic chapel has been built and a parochial school established by the Dominican Fathers of Lewiston. Sixth street chapel is the home of a prosperous Protest- ant society. A $20,000 public school building is projected. Many buildings are in process of erection and there are several business houses. Burt L. Alden & Co., druggists, apothecaries, dealers in furnishing goods, stationery, etc., and manufacturers of cigars, No. 10 Third street, established in 1876 by Mr Alden, do a large business.


Isaac N. Haskell &. Co., grocers, dealers in meats and provisions, No. 2 Third street, is the largest establishment. This prosperous house was estab- lished about 20 years ago by Skinner & Merrill, and in 1874 was purchased by Mr Haskell, who is prominently connected with public affairs and manu- facturing, and in 1879 the admission of A. W. Miller made the firm of I. N. Haskell & Co.


CHAPTER XXXV.


CITY OF AUBURN. - Its Growth and Prosperity - Extracts from Official Reports, etc. - Statistics - Action in the Rebellion -Civil List.


IIE charter for the CITY OF AUBURN was adopted February 22, 1869, and March 4 the selectmen, in compliance with the act of incorporation, appointed these wardens: G. D. Holmes ward one, David T. French ward two, James O. Foss ward three, Richard Dresser ward four, Isaac Rounds ward five. March 8 the first city election was held, and March 22 the city govern- ment was organized. The ward limits have remained as defined by the selectmen in 1869. The work was well done and the wards had about equal population. Some wards have lost since then, others have largely gained, so that the population is unequally distributed in the present limits of the wards, and by an act of the last legislature the city is empowered to re-adjust their


612


HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.


lines. The population in 1890 was : Ward one, 883; ward two, 3,430; ward three, 1,743; ward four, 3,909; ward five, 1,285 - 11,250.


From the selectmen's report of March 1, 1868, we learn the condition of the town. The valuation on April 1, 1867, was $1,679,082, the number of polls 1,361, on which was assessed, in 1867, taxes of $39,423.26. The resources were $120,970.68, the expenses $108,983.16. The liabilities were: bonds of funded debt $111,800, other bonds of Auburn $4,475, Danville bonds, etc. $8,005, and incidentals, making a total of $124,979.49. There was due the town $12,809.23, and the amount required to meet debt and interest was $17,724.49. To meet these the selectmen recommended a tax of $9,000, and estimate appropriations as follows: schools $6,000, poor and insane $2,100, current expenses $2,500, finishing road near poor farm $500, roads and bridges $7,000, discounts $1,200; total $28,300. The town paid for gas for Auburn Hall $100.92, for the bridge $105.73, and this is all we hear of public lighting.


Mayor Littlefield in his address, March 22, 1869, gives the resources from orders, March 1, 1868, to March 20, 1869, as $53,262.70, deducting the selectmen's orders, $45,157.87, there remained $8,104.83, of which $6,000 was available. The CITY OF AUBURN brought much labor to its officials in the establishment and successful conduct of the various departments. The origin of the high standing of the morals of the city may perhaps be traced to this expression of the mayor, which voiced the mind of the community.


The cause of nearly all the crimes committed in our state may be traced to the use of intoxicating liquors, and nearly all the broils and disturbances which oceur in our streets result from the same cause. I therefore trust you will make such provision for the enforcement of the law for the suppression of drinking houses and tippling-houses as shall bring to justice all who will persist in violating the law. You cannot be too careful in the selection of your constables.


Another thing is noticeable in the mayor's address, characteristic of Auburn's officials to the present : "It will be my duty to see that the laws of the state, and such by-laws and ordinances as you shall ordain, be faithfully and justly executed and enforced, and I certainly shall not shrink from my duty."


Appropriations, 1869. - For abatements, $1,000; discounts, $1,500; books, etc., $300; printing, $300; fire department, night watch, and police, $800; salaries, $2,500; con- tingent fund, $1,000; schools, $10,000; school-houses, $1,800; roads, bridges, and side- walks, $10,000; new roads, $1,000; land damages for roads, $675; poor, $2,500; for debt, $4,100; interest, $7,500; state tax, $8,580.90; county tax, $3,271.74.


March 31, 1869. All school districts in the city limits were consolidated. April 6 354 votes were cast for annexing Auburn to Lewiston to 374 against. May 14 ten street lamps were ordered erected. May 21 night police to be appointed. In June the building of school-houses in Fossville, Woodman,


613


CITY OF AUBURN.


Verrill, Bradbury and Plains, Trap, Brick school-house, Dillingham Hill, and Danville Corner sections was under discussion, and in July the issue of city bonds for $15,000 to purchase lots and build school-houses in North Auburn, Briggs, Woodman, and Danville Corner sections was authorized. Joshua L. Cham- berlain received 443, Franklin Smith 353, Nathan G. Hichborn 186 votes for governor. An order was passed, October 7, directing the building of a school-house at Danville Corner and one at Danville Junction. The salaries paid this year were: mayor, $200; auditor, $50; clerk, $150; treasurer, $200; clerk of common council, $40; assessors, $250; overseers of the poor, $100; street commissioner, $800 ; superintending school committee, $250. In October were great freshets with very high water in the rivers.


February 28, 1870, the financial standing of the city was flattering. Receipts for the year previous $92,748.98, expenditures $82,537.82; liabilities $127,- 449.10, resources $32,846.96. The debt has been reduced $15,795.65. Roads tell much of the prosperity of a town or city, and as indicative of the "push " and vigor of the city we extract from this year's report of O. D. Bailey, street commissioner :


I found the roads and bridges throughout the city in a very bad condition. I have put the road from the village to Minot line in perfeet repair, having made at least five miles entirely new. I have also put the Vickery hill on the river road in good repair. I have made the road from the cemetery to Little's gravel-pit entirely new, and graded and widened Main street very much. Also a large job on Academy and Spring streets. I have graded and filled up the streets at North Auburn at quite a large expense, and made large repairs on the roads from the village by West to North Auburn and to East Auburn and on the river road.


He expended $12,722.90. The chief engineer reports $1,090.88 expended in the fire department. He says, " We very much need another engine and more reservoirs." Six new school-houses-a four-roomed brick house on Pine street, grammar and primary houses at North Auburn, and one each at Dan- ville Corner, Danville Junction, and Woodman's-have been built this year, and extensive repairs made on " the old house at West Auburn, the grammar school-house on School street, and primary brick building on Academy street." The rapid growth of the city demands more accommodations for scholars. There have been sustained one high school of sixty scholars for 22 weeks, and 34 grammar, intermediate, primary, and rural schools, with an average of 27 weeks to each school. February 7, 1870, the citizens voted on an act to annex Auburn to Lewiston. The vote was 373 in favor and 530 against. March 11 Court street bridge injured by an ice freshet. The railroad depot burned in May. July 14 a cyclonic wind did damage in various parts of the town. The Auburn Aqueduct Company build reservoirs on Goff's hill, and in June introduce water into the city and place the stone fountain on Main street. In October hand and steam fire engines were purchased and fire company


-


614


HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.


authorized. October 20 a severe shock of earthquake lasting from 30 to 60 seconds caused much excitement; Edward Little High School, Ara Cushman's factory, and other high buildings vibrated; door bells rung in various houses and a heavy rumbling noise was heard. November 12 $6,500 was appropriated to build an engine house and stable. The public schools are graded.


Mayor Littlefield, on taking office March 1, 1871, says : "We have a funded debt of $101,450, payable in 12 annual installments; temporary loans yet unpaid, $20,618.83 ; $3,500 on the new engine house ; making the indebtedness of the city $125,568.83. Deducting available resources we have a debt of $114,768.83. . . . 11 new school-houses containing 15 rooms have been built since the organization of the city government. The high school is in a flourish- ing condition, and has become one of the indispensable institutions of the city. . . The bridge over the Androscoggin is entirely inadequate to the wants of the public, and in my judgment unsafe. .. . The fire department has been much improved, and, as a whole, the department is in perfect condition. A new engine house has been built. $7,413 has been paid for new steam fire engine and apparatus. The night watch and police have been paid $995.32. Two reservoirs have been built for engine supplies, one at the corner of High and Academy streets, the other on Elm street near the railroad. . . . The number of scholars is 1,982, and the amount paid teachers the past year $10,578.63."


By an amendment of the charter the city council is given authority over town ways and streets and to establish the grade of roads or streets. Section 1 is amended and provides for the establishment of the police court and the appointment of a judge. April 18, 1871, Thomas Littlefield, Jeremiah Dingley, Jr, O. B. Morse, Josiah Penley, and Allison Smith were appointed to act for Auburn in building Court street bridge, which was completed this year.


The mayor's address and officers' reports February 29, 1872, succinctly show the city's condition and progress. Mayor Littlefield, who is also street commissioner, speaks of the manufacturing industries as yet in their infancy, and believes in a liberal policy toward them. He says the cash resources for the year have been $111,957.46, and the expenditures $110,308.18. We have a funded debt of $133,025 and a temporary debt of $10,800, making the total


indebtedness $143,825. Deducting the available resources, $14,438.39, the debt is $129,386.61. The taxes have paid the current expenses and would have reduced the debt $5,210.75 had not $15,908.35 been paid for building the new bridge and $3,920 to repair injuries upon the highways. . . . Roak Block has been built and $5,000 paid to the builders for building a street "from the street south of C. F. Ingalls's store to the street north of Little and Haskell's block on Main street." A good system of sewerage is commenced, at a cost of $1,103.98, a large sewer made from the center of Main street to the river. The bridge between Auburn and Lewiston has been built at a cost




Need help finding more records? Try our genealogical records directory which has more than 1 million sources to help you more easily locate the available records.