History of Androscoggin County, Maine, Part 56

Author: Merrill, Georgia Drew, ed
Publication date: 1891
Publisher: Boston, W.A. Fergusson & co.
Number of Pages: 1050


USA > Maine > Androscoggin County > History of Androscoggin County, Maine > Part 56


Note: The text from this book was generated using artificial intelligence so there may be some errors. The full pages can be found on Archive.org (link on the Part 1 page).


Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5 | Part 6 | Part 7 | Part 8 | Part 9 | Part 10 | Part 11 | Part 12 | Part 13 | Part 14 | Part 15 | Part 16 | Part 17 | Part 18 | Part 19 | Part 20 | Part 21 | Part 22 | Part 23 | Part 24 | Part 25 | Part 26 | Part 27 | Part 28 | Part 29 | Part 30 | Part 31 | Part 32 | Part 33 | Part 34 | Part 35 | Part 36 | Part 37 | Part 38 | Part 39 | Part 40 | Part 41 | Part 42 | Part 43 | Part 44 | Part 45 | Part 46 | Part 47 | Part 48 | Part 49 | Part 50 | Part 51 | Part 52 | Part 53 | Part 54 | Part 55 | Part 56 | Part 57 | Part 58 | Part 59 | Part 60 | Part 61 | Part 62 | Part 63 | Part 64 | Part 65 | Part 66 | Part 67 | Part 68 | Part 69 | Part 70 | Part 71 | Part 72 | Part 73 | Part 74 | Part 75 | Part 76 | Part 77 | Part 78 | Part 79 | Part 80 | Part 81 | Part 82 | Part 83 | Part 84 | Part 85 | Part 86 | Part 87 | Part 88 | Part 89 | Part 90 | Part 91 | Part 92 | Part 93 | Part 94 | Part 95 | Part 96 | Part 97 | Part 98 | Part 99 | Part 100 | Part 101 | Part 102 | Part 103 | Part 104 | Part 105 | Part 106 | Part 107 | Part 108


461


TOWN OF LISBON.


has been two years with the George H. Gilbert Manufacturing Co., Ware, Mass. He has also been superintendent at the Worumbo Manufacturing Co., Lisbon Falls.


The Androscoggin Water-Power Company, Lisbon Falls, was incorporated in 1867, with a capital of $50,000. Oliver Moses, of Bath, was president; Galen C. Moses, treasurer; and Edward Plummer, agent. This company owns and operates a large saw-mill and a grist-mill. In 1873 the saw-mill, using 135 horse-power, taken from the Worumbo Manufacturing Company's privilege, employed 30 operatives, with a monthly pay-roll of $1,200 in the production of from 3,000,000 to 4,000,000 feet of lumber, and in the grist-mill below did custom grinding and an extensive business in corn meal and feed. In 1890 one Chase and one Stearns wheel are used, giving 150 horse-power, with which 5,000,000 feet of spruce, pine, hemlock, and oak lumber is annually produced. 45 hands are employed, and the monthly pay-roll is $1,800. The capital is now $75,000. Galen C. Moses, of Bath, is president; F. H. Twitchell, of Bath, treasurer; Edward Plummer, agent. This company owns the first or upper privilege on Little River.


The Lisbon Falls Fibre Company was organized April 9, 1889, with a capital stock of $250,000, and elected Elias Milliken of Augusta, president; F. C. Whitehouse of Topsham, treasurer; W. H. Parsons of New York, Elias Milliken, Galen C. Moses of Bath, David T. Rines of Portland, F. C. White- house of Topsham, directors. The Bowdoin Paper Manufacturing Company had purchased the water-power in 1887 and begun to build a dam. The new company set to work vigorously and the first year constructed a dam, built of crib work filled with stone and sunk in 20 feet of water, without coffer-dams. Foundations for the pulp mill were also commenced in 1889. This was finished July 1, 1890, and is composed of five buildings, namely : the wood-preparing building, which is 46x 68 feet, one story high ; chemical building, 72x 60, two stories high ; digester building, 72 x 36, three stories high; machine building, 46 x 92, one story ; boiler house, 46 x 60, one story, all constructed of brick with hard-pine roofs, covered with the best New England gravel roof. The com- pany operates under the Partington, Retter, and Kellner patents, and the four digesters have a capacity of producing 16 tons of dry sulphite pulp in 24 hours. The machines for screening the pulp are considered the finest made. There are used three 72-inch tubular boilers of 125 horse-power each. A paper mill, consisting of two buildings, an engine room, 60 x 80, and a machine and finishing room, 200 x 60, was put up in 1890. In the engine room are two of the largest size Horne patent engines, and the paper machine is a 86-inch Fourdrinier, constructed to manufacture book papers. All the buildings of the pulp and paper mills are built for double the machinery in operation, and the product can be carried to 30 tons of dry pulp and 20 tons of paper per day. Electric lights are used. The whole plant is in successful operation, producing


462


HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.


monthly 700 tons of pulp and 250 tons of paper. The mills now use only one- fourth of the water-power owned by the company, which is the whole flow of the Androscoggin river. F. C. Whitehouse is treasurer and manager; John Merriman, superintendent.


The Lisbon Falls Co-operative Association, organized February 15, 1885, was incorporated March 21, 1885, with 23 members: Thomas Ellingsworth, Otis S. White, John Feltham, Fred Kirschner, Charles Schofield, R. Moschner, August Wonneberger, Charles Theilig, F. C. Lange, August Lange, Paul Willgeroth, August Stein, F. N. Lange, N. Mortimer, Albert Riskar, Harry Shaw, K. M. Small, Fenton Haigh, E. M. Holland, Joseph Riley, B. Fearnley, George Canham. Fenton Haigh was made president ; Otis S. White, treasurer; E. E. Gordon, secretary ; Fenton Haigh, H. M. Small, F. C. Lange, George E. Huskins, and August Lange, directors. The object of the association is " to co-operate in the purchase and distribution of general merchandise." In 1887 the association erected Co-operative Block, of two stories, on Main street, containing two stores, one occupied by the association store, the other by George R. Foster & Son. Dr Curtis and the Lisbon Observer have offices in the second story, as is also the hall used by the Knights of Pythias. The association originated in the winter of 1885, when, business being dull, the employés called a meeting at the house of John Feltham, January 19, 1885, to discuss economical matters. It was agreed by all that a co-operative store would benefit the community and an organization was effected, and Fenton Haigh, Charles Schofield, and E. M. Holland chosen a committee to perfect it. After several meetings operations were commenced. The permanent officers were chosen February 9. The shares were fixed at $5, and no one was allowed to take more than 20 shares. Six per cent. interest was paid, and a dividend to each member on the amount of his purchases. Business was started with a stock of $790, and the first week's sales were $105. October 11, 1890, the stock was $8,855, and the sales are from $700 to $900 weekly. The 27 members at first have increased to 170; $13,500 have been paid in interest and dividends ; the average dividends have been from eight to nine per cent. The sales for the six months ending February 6, 1891, amounted to more than $20,000. After putting aside funds for the permanent fund, a dividend of eight per cent. was declared. The sinking fund now amounts to $1,275. The officers for 1891 are: President, Fenton Haigh; second director, King M. Small; third director, R. Moschner; secretary, Albert Mortimer; first auditor, M. D. Leirney ; treasurer, G. H. Whittier.


The Lisbon Falls Creamery Association was formed as a stock company in 1889, and a factory built and equipped for operations in April, 1890, with all utensils for half a dozen cream-gathering routes and capacity to manufacture the product of 1,000 cows, at a cost of $2,500. The officers were: John G. Tebbets, president; C. L. Newell, secretary; L. L. Barrell, treasurer; A. J.


463


TOWN OF LISBON.


Larrabee (Webster), U. A. Jack ('Topsham), Joseph H. Davis (Durham), G. G. Wagg (South Lewiston), directors. This creamery is located on "the plains," on the Topsham road, half mile from Lisbon Falls station.


Flourishing lodges of Free Masons, Odd Fellows, Good Templars, Knights of Pythias, Royal Arcanum, Golden Cross, and W. C. T. U. are in existence and well supported.


George R. Foster & Son (George E.) manufacture ladies' fine shoes, and conduct a department store in Co-operative Block on Main street. Mr Foster was born in Bowdoin in 1841. His father, George, was born in Bowdoin ; his mother, Sarah, in Topsham. He was a fife-major in the Twenty-fourth Maine nine months in the Civil War. He engaged in the shoe trade at Lisbon Falls in 1865 in the Bee Hive, but soon removed to the Androscoggin House. He later built the store occupied by Fessenden's pharmacy, and about 1877 sold to A. R. Webber. He then conducted a shoe store in the old post-office building on Oak street where Nutting & Durgin trade, and later moved to the Bee Hive again, and after that to the Red Front on Main street. Since 1887 the business has been conducted in its present location. George C. Foster was admitted partner in January, 1888. Since 1877 a branch store has been conducted at South Harpswell. Mr Foster is a Republican, a Universalist, an Odd Fellow, and has been vice commander in the G. A. R. He married Martha Newell, of Litchfield, and has three children : George E., James A., and Benjamin H.


Harris Ginsburg, the leading merchant, was born in Kowno, Russia (on the line of Germany) in 1859. In 1875 he came to Boston and soon began his remarkable mercantile life by peddling notions, his stock being carried in a small box, He came to Maine in 1876 and, making Portland his headquarters, traveled, first with his pack, and, later with a wagon, through the country from Sabattus to Kennebunk. In the fall of 1880 he opened a small store at Lisbon Falls, and after various changes demanded by the increase of his trade, he, in 1889, built Ginsburg Block on Main street, where he now has an extensive establishment of dry goods, clothing and furnishing goods, watches and jewelry, carpets, furniture, etc. Two stories are occupied as salesrooms, and four clerks are employed. This business has been developed in fifteen years by Mr Ginsburg from his small box of notions, and he takes pride in the fact that he always pays 100 cents on the dollar. He was a charter member of Worumbo lodge, I. O. O. F., and a charter member of Columbia lodge of Knights of Pythias.


Willard Jones, born in Windsor, Kennebec county, in 1864; is an energetic business man, and located at Lisbon village in 1887 as a dealer in groceries and crockery. July 15, 1889, the increasing attractions of trade at Lisbon Falls caused him to remove thither, and he leased one of the large new stores in Ginsburg Block, where he is now located, conducting a large wholesale and retail trade which is rapidly assuming metropolitan proportions. Mr Jones is


464


HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.


a Democrat in politics, an Odd Fellow, and a Knight of Pythias. August 17, 1887, he married Hattie, daughter of Jordan Rand, of Lisbon. A good citizen and a successful merchant, he is also one of the strong men of the community.


Albert T. Bibber carries on general trade on the corner of Main and Water streets. This is the oldest mercantile establishment in town, purchased about 1815 by Jacob Bibber, a birthright Quaker, who, born in Harpswell, learned the joiner's trade in Durham, came to Lisbon Falls and did a large business in wood turning until he went into trade. The sign, "J. Bibber," still over the door of the store, was placed in position June 12, 1826, the day Albert T. Bibber was born. Jacob Bibber secured much of the great trade going to Bath from the Androscoggin valley, by selling the farmers goods as low as they This custom was large and profitable, and Mr Bibber could buy in Bath.


universally retained his customers. His children were Louisa, Warren A., Sarah (Mrs Aaron J. West), Albert T., Mary J. (Mrs Seth P. Crossman), Emily P. Jacob Bibber was succeeded about 1855 by his son Warren A., who, later with Albert T., formed the firm of W. A. Bibber & Co. This lasted five years when Warren sold to A. T., and the firm of Bibber & West was formed, Aaron J. West being a member. This was dissolved in 1864 by the death of Mr West. Since then A. T. Bibber has been sole proprietor. He possesses many of his father's characteristics, has ever been a quiet, unosten- tations person, standing high in the esteem of his townsmen. He married Anne Moulton, of Topsham, and has two children, Sarah J. (Mrs D. E. Cornish) and Jedde P.


John H. Coombs, son of Joseph and grandson of Hezekiah, was in the hardware business on the old county road, now Lisbon street, just in front of the Worumbo Mill, from July, 1852, until 1870, when he moved to Main street, and was in trade until 1891. He married Marcia, daughter of Jacob Gould, of Lisbon, in 1856, and they have had four children : Bertha, married William Parkin; Mamie F., married William Hollis; Cornelia G., and Willie C. Mr Coombs is a Free Mason, and a Democrat in politics, and was postmaster under Buchanan and Cleveland. He is one of the valuable citizens and reliable business men of Lisbon Falls.


James A. Beals &. Co., hardware, etc. This firm was formed about 1882, and has been a highly esteemed and well-patronized business house. It is located on the westerly side of Main street. The pleasant ways and genial disposition of Mr Beals made him many friends.


Elijah Littlefield, an early settler of Durham, a farmer and shoemaker, took up the farm now occupied by his grandson, Samuel Littlefield. He had children : George, Abigail, Nancy, Sally, Polly, Uriah. George, in youth, was a seaman, later he succeeded to his father's homestead. He was a Free Will Baptist, a Democrat, lived to be 84, never used spectacles, and had a remark- able memory. He had six sons and six daughters, of whom Samuel, Joseph,


465


TOWN OF LISBON.


Mrs Mary Coombs, and Mrs Louisa Patterson now survive. Stephen P. Littlefield, son of Uriah, born in Durham, August 18, 1818, has resided at Lisbon Falls since 1868, when he opened a public house. In 1871 he built and opened the brick hotel, Maine Central house, which he still conducts. His 22 years of hotel keeping make him the veteran landlord of the section. He is a Democrat in politics. By his first wife, Pamelia Hodgkins, he has four children now living: Mahala (Mrs Amos Penley), Betsey J. (Mrs Harry Flynn), Ruth (Mrs Stephen Adams), all living in Minneapolis, and Allura (Mrs William Brimijoin), of Lisbon Falls.


Rev. George Plummer, son of Henry and Weltha (Estes) Plummer, was born in Durham, April 7, 1826. He became a member of the Free Baptist church when 14, received license to preach in March, 1856, and was ordained December 22, 1861. He has been pastor in Durham, Lisbon Falls, Freeport, and West Bowdoin. He has baptized about 60 converts, married 140 couples, and attended 400 funerals. Since 1883 he has supplied in various places. In 1859 he was a member of the legislature. April 4, 1850, he married Miss Almira J. Coffin, and had one son, who became manager of the Waverly Publishing Company, of New York. October 20, 1881, he married Mrs Eliza Eacott, of Lisbon. He is and has been postmaster for several years, and is a prompt, reliable, energetic man of great popularity. Edward Plummer, his brother, was born in Durham, January 4, 1830. About 1850 he came to Lisbon Falls and engaged in lumbering and has since followed the business. The Worumbo Company bought his mill and property, and he built for them the mill which was succeeded in 1872 by the large one now standing. Since the organization of the Androscoggin Water-Power Company he has been its agent.


Edward Berry, a native of Falmouth, removed to Lisbon in 1793. He married Sybil Brown, of Turner. He carried on tanning at Lisbon Falls until 1850, then his son, Edward, took the business and continued it until 1887, when the tannery was closed. Edward Berry, Jr, was born in Lisbon in 1827, and has taken part in the administration of town affairs, was selectman from 1870 to 1876, justice of the peace since 1883, and in 1890 was appointed special agent to take the statistics of manufacture of the productive industry of the town. Mr Berry has been engaged in real estate, and dealt more or less in cattle. In politics a Republican since the formation of the party, prior to that a Whig. His religious preferences are Congregational.


The Potter family is an early one in this section. During the War of the Revolution, Alexander Potter emigrated from Scotland, and married Abigail Randall. He settled in Bowdoin and commenced clearing land for a farm. He was subsequently killed by a falling tree. Of his four children, Benjamin married Betsey Lewis. Their son, Benjamin R., born October 25, 1817, married Susan E. Smullen and located on the Joseph D. Smullen place in


466


HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.


Lisbon. Of their 10 children seven survive, and occupy positions of trust and usefulness. Joseph S. lives on the home farm; Frank B. resides in Manchester, N. H .; John H. is captain of bark William Phillips of New Bedford, Mass .; Fred C. is a machinist in Bath; Charles L., a graduate of West Point, is a lieutenant of engineers, and recently ordered to San Francisco; Elizabeth S. is a teacher at West Bowdoin; Sara F. teaches at Lisbon Falls.


Samuel Sylvester, a native of Bowdoin, came to Lisbon Falls in 1883, and has been quite conspicuous in its development. He has probably sold more lots in this new village than all others. He has also erected many houses and owns a large number of tenements, etc. He owns and is developing a valuable property of real estate here. He has given much time to Masonry and has taken thirty-two degrees.


Rolvin S. Whitney, born in Lisbon in 1863, learned the jeweler's trade of E. A. Will, in Brunswick, and established himself in trade on Main street, at Lisbon Falls in August, 1886. He has already built up a fine trade, and with his assiduity, courtesy, and winning manners cannot fail to be prosperous. He carries a well-selected stock of clocks, watches, jewelry, silver ware, and cutlery, guns and hunting equipments, and has quite a trade in bicycles.


James HI. Eacott, born in Lake Village, N. H., of English parentage, has been conducting a dry goods and clothing store since October 25, 1886, in Plummer's Block, Oak street, Lisbon Falls. He has a fine trade, and his courtesy and genial manners cause him to be deservedly popular.


W. P. Allen established his boot and shoe store on Main street, Lisbon Falls, in 1887.


George W. Sawyer has had a harness shop on Main street, above Co-operative Block, for many years.


George W. Curtis, M.D., was born in Bowdoin, April 11, 1860. His higher education was obtained at Litchfield Academy, and Vermont Medical Univer- sity of Burlington, Vt. From the latter he received his medical degree in 1884. From the spring of 1882 till that of 1883 he was superintendent of Newport Hospital, Newport, R. I., a situation of great advantage to him as a medical student. Dr Curtis made his home here immediately after his graduation. He is a member of Androscoggin County Medical Association, and is much interested in Free Masonry, belonging to its several organizations up to and including the Lodge of Perfection. He is also an Odd Fellow, and a Republi- can in politics.


Walter Corliss, M.D., a native of Hartford, was fitted for college at Hebron and Bridgton, attended Bates College, and was graduated from the medical department of Dartmouth College in 1884. He began practice in Poland, and came to Lisbon Falls, October 24, 1889.


William S. Cotton, Jr, was born in Lisbon, and is son of William S., of Lewiston, and Mary M. (Denham) Cotton, formerly of Bowdoin. He is


467


TOWN OF LISBON.


a Universalist in his religious views, and a Republican in politics. He was supervisor of schools in Lisbon five years in succession, a member of the school board two years, and selectman one year. He was assistant clerk of the House of Representatives in 1885 and 1887, and afterwards became chief clerk to the Secretary of State. December, 1890, he resigned this position, and January, 1891, was elected clerk of the House.


Fenton Haigh, son of John and Hannah Haigh, was born in Kirkburton, Yorkshire county, England, came to America in 1866, and commenced work in the mills of Edward Harris at Woonsocket, R. I. Here he remained 13 years, learned the art of weaving, and became overseer. He came to Lisbon Center about 12 years ago, and was in the employ of Deering, Milliken & Co. a few years. In 1882 he located at Lisbon Falls, and has been overseer for the Worumbo Manufacturing Company from that time. Mr Haigh was chairman of the Republican Club during the last presidential campaign, and is a member of the Republican town committee. He was one of the originators and charter members of the Lisbon Falls Co-operative Association, and its president for five years. He is an active member of Ancient York Lodge, No. 155, of Free Masons, and belongs to Woonsocket Lodge, No. 10, I. O. O. F., and Palestine Encampment, No. 3, of Woonsocket, R. I.


Charles Emery Judkins, son of Rufus and Sarah Butler Judkins, was born in Monmouth, November 18, 1833. He is a Republican in politics, and Free Baptist in his religious views. He has been station agent at Lisbon Falls for several years.


468


HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.


WEBSTER.


CHAPTER XXIV.


Incorporation - Elevations, Ponds, and Streams - Grants, Surveys, and Soil -Settlers- Early Roads -Some First Things - Early Values - First Magistrates- Lawyers- Physi- eians - Other Settlers and Descendants-First Town Meeting and Excerpts from Town Records- Webster in the Civil War - Civil List.


T HERE is little of ancient history in Webster, its municipal history being first that of West Bowdoinham, next of Bowdoin, and later of Lisbon. The name Burnt Meadow was applied to it in 1775 or 1776. The town of Webster (named in honor of Daniel Webster) was incorporated March 7, 1840, from "that part of Lisbon north of Davis's south line," and remains nearly the same. Mt Sabattus, rising to 814 feet above the sea, Robinson's, Hedgehog, and Oak mountains, and Pettengill's and Jordan's hills are the chief elevations. Oak mountain is a spur of an elevation passing through the town south and on to Durham at Lisbon Falls, and called Lisbon ridge. Lake Sabattus has an elevation of 384 feet, an area of four square miles, and is a reservoir, its outlet, Sabattus river, being dammed by a corporation of its mill- owners so as to control and adapt the supply of water. Little river is the other principal stream. Several small ponds dot the surface of the town. One has the name of an early settler of Little River, Alexander Sutherland, who fractured his collar bone on its banks, while hunting, some years before the settlement was made. Webster is nearly five miles square, with an area of 25 miles, and has Wales and Litchfield on the north, Bowdoin on the east, Lisbon on the south, and Lewiston on the west.


Grants, Surveys, Soil, and Settlements. - The Plymouth Company grants extend across the town east-southeast to the Kennebec river, and are designated by the names of the grantees, Dr Jonathan Davis, Willis Hall, Thompson or Stone, Bowdoin, Vaughn, Parker, and Waldo rights. The first survey was by John Merrill, of Topsham, March 1, 1775, of four 200-acre lots, north of Suther- land's pond. Abel Merrill, JJoseph Norris, Solomon Adams, John Smullen, and his son were the earliest surveyors. The soil is of various characters, from sand to clay, with admixture of loam and humus, and with alluvial deposits occasionally to be found. The greater portion is of excellent quality.


The first permanent settlement was in 1775, by Robert Ross, from Bruns- wick, who built a log house and made a clearing a short distance south of the Tobias Weymouth farm, in the central part of the town. John Merrill


469


TOWN OF WEBSTER.


surveyed for him a tract of 200 acres, extending northeast 100 rods, and north- west a mile, and the stream flowing through this tract has since borne his name. Mr Merrill surveyed three other tracts for Samuel Hewey, William Spear, and Robert Hewey, all of whom came from Brunswick. These were adjoining. John Hewey, brother of Robert, soon came, and they were the first to raise apples. In January, 1777, Jonathan, father of Thomas and Hugh Weymouth, joined the others, settling on the William Jordan farm. He later built a saw-mill on the outlet of Sutherland pond. His brother, Timothy, soon came from Berwick as a settler, and was a mill-wright. Edmund Weymouth, a brother of Jonathan and Timothy, came here with his two sons, Edmund, Jr, and Nahum, from Berwick, February 12, 1787, when 48 years of age, and located upon land which he supposed to belong to Massachusetts, but owned by the Plymouth Company's grantees, the location including the land owned now by his descendants.


Another local colony was established here by Jesse Davis, who, in the performance of the conditions of an agreement entered into by him and his paternal uncle, Dr Jonathan Davis, of Roxbury, Mass., a grantee of the Plymouth Company, came here in 1780, and began a settlement upon the western extremity of an extensive tract of land, mostly covered with the original forest, owned by Dr Davis. By the terms of this agreement, Jesse Davis1 was to make a clearing, build a saw-mill, a grist-mill, and suitable build- ings for a tavern, and Dr Davis was to convey in fee a considerable tract of land, including the improvements, to the nephew, who drove on the stipulated work with energy. Soon after coming here, Jesse Davis married Elizabeth Wilson, of Topsham, whose children were Jonathan and Rebecca Davis. After the death of his wife he married Hannah, daughter of Captain James Curtis, of Brunswick (an officer in the Revolution who came to Webster and died in 1824), whose child was Rachel Davis (Mrs B. D. Bryent). Early in 1792 Jesse had his leg amputated in consequence of a wound he had received in the battle of Lexington, and died the same day. Upon the death of Dr Davis, about the same time, the agreement was left incomplete, but the property was conveyed to the wife and children of Jesse. This colony was in the southwest part of the town, and the mills built by Mr Davis were near the southern line, on the " fourth power," so-called, of Sabattis river, where the fall of 18 feet is now idle. Among the early additions to the Davis settlement were Samuel Simmons,1 Seth Hinkley, Phineas and Josiah Jones, James Weeks, Thomas and Samuel Tebbetts, Alexander Gray,1 Jethro Sanborn, Ephraim Jordan, and Thomas Davies. In 1793 and 1794 came William, Joshua, Daniel, Noah, and Jonathan Jordan, William and Jacob True, Phineas Spofford,1 John Cushing, Abel Nutting,1 Nathan Hanson, Moses Brown, and Aaron Dwinal.' Simeon Crockett, Simeon and Silas Hamilton, James Colby, Joseph Wood. William




Need help finding more records? Try our genealogical records directory which has more than 1 million sources to help you more easily locate the available records.