History of Androscoggin County, Maine, Part 49

Author: Merrill, Georgia Drew, ed
Publication date: 1891
Publisher: Boston, W.A. Fergusson & co.
Number of Pages: 1050


USA > Maine > Androscoggin County > History of Androscoggin County, Maine > Part 49


Note: The text from this book was generated using artificial intelligence so there may be some errors. The full pages can be found on Archive.org (link on the Part 1 page).


Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5 | Part 6 | Part 7 | Part 8 | Part 9 | Part 10 | Part 11 | Part 12 | Part 13 | Part 14 | Part 15 | Part 16 | Part 17 | Part 18 | Part 19 | Part 20 | Part 21 | Part 22 | Part 23 | Part 24 | Part 25 | Part 26 | Part 27 | Part 28 | Part 29 | Part 30 | Part 31 | Part 32 | Part 33 | Part 34 | Part 35 | Part 36 | Part 37 | Part 38 | Part 39 | Part 40 | Part 41 | Part 42 | Part 43 | Part 44 | Part 45 | Part 46 | Part 47 | Part 48 | Part 49 | Part 50 | Part 51 | Part 52 | Part 53 | Part 54 | Part 55 | Part 56 | Part 57 | Part 58 | Part 59 | Part 60 | Part 61 | Part 62 | Part 63 | Part 64 | Part 65 | Part 66 | Part 67 | Part 68 | Part 69 | Part 70 | Part 71 | Part 72 | Part 73 | Part 74 | Part 75 | Part 76 | Part 77 | Part 78 | Part 79 | Part 80 | Part 81 | Part 82 | Part 83 | Part 84 | Part 85 | Part 86 | Part 87 | Part 88 | Part 89 | Part 90 | Part 91 | Part 92 | Part 93 | Part 94 | Part 95 | Part 96 | Part 97 | Part 98 | Part 99 | Part 100 | Part 101 | Part 102 | Part 103 | Part 104 | Part 105 | Part 106 | Part 107 | Part 108


Dr Charles E. Norton is a native of Gardiner. Graduated from Bowdoin Medical School in 1876. Dr Norton practiced medicine for a time at Augusta, and then came to Lewiston.


409


CITY OF LEWISTON.


Dr Aurelia Springer is a native of Dresden. She studied with her father, Dr W. W. Springer, graduated at the Woman's Medical College, Boston. Dr Springer studied four years at the University at Zurich, Switzerland, and came to Lewiston in 1877.


Dr A. K. P. Harvey studied with Drs A. J. Marston and H. C. Bradford, and graduated at the Homeopathic Medical College of Chicago in 1888.


Dr W. B. Small, 147 Lisbon street, son of Addison Small, is the recording secretary of the Androscoggin County Medical Association. (For other physicians, see page 287.)


DRUGGISTS. -- The drug store of Charles A. Abbott, corner of Lisbon and Main streets, is an outgrowth of the business established by Dr Aaron Young in 1850, on the site of the gun shop near Main street bridge. This was removed to a building that stood where Hotel Atwood stands, and was there succeeded by George Garcelon, who removed it to the present location and sold it to William F. Garcelon. After his death, in 1884, Mr Abbott became proprietor. John Cook, about 1851, commenced as a druggist on lower Main street, and about 1860 removed it to 145 Lisbon street. In or about 1880 E. H. Gerrish became proprietor. Wakefield Brothers (S. D. and E.), 114 Lisbon


street, engaged in trade about 20 years since. Both of the proprietors are natives of Lewiston, and the senior member has held official positions of trust and is now city treasurer. D. WV. Wiggin, 213 Lisbon street, a native of Leeds, established this extensive store in March, 1872. In January, 1863, he opened a drug store in Phoenix Block, Auburn, where he traded until 1871, when he purchased the bookstore then occupying the stand where his brother, W. H. Wiggin, is in trade, and carried it on until he came to Lewiston. Warren E. Riker and B. F. Bradford opened the drug store, corner of Lisbon and Pine streets, about 1879, and about six years ago Mr Riker became sole proprietor. R. W. Clark has been in the drug business at the corner of Main and Bates streets for nearly 20 years.


There is one patent medicine manufactory in the city. M. J. Royers & Co. manufacture Rogers' Inhalant and Cough Lozenges at 21 Lisbon street. These have been made for 18 years. Edgar J. Fogg, proprietor.


DENTISTS. - N. Woodbury, Pilsbury Block. Ezra H. White (White & Leavitt), Lyceum Hall Block, attends to the dental business in all its branches, and does excellent work. Emery Bailey, 20 Lisbon street, who has been established in Lewiston nearly 15 years, has availed himself of all the modern appliances pertaining to his profession, and has been successful.


MERCHANTS. -- There is much obscurity about the early traders. It is not known who kept the first goods for the accommodation of the early settlers. It is supposed that Amos Davis had a small amount of goods on sale at his house on Sabatis street. The wants of the pioneers were small and it required only a meagre quantity of merchandise to supply them.


410


HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.


William Garcelon, grandfather of Dr Alonzo Garcelon, in 1797 opened a store in the southerly part of the town, on a scale then unknown in Lewiston, which he continued for several years. Mr Garcelon did an extensive business, not only in his store, but also in lumbering, until about 1807. He was also engaged in ship-building in Freeport, but suffered from the effects of the embargo in 1807, and his business was ruined. Mr Garcelon was one of the most active business men of his day.


David and Jackson Davis in 1799 built a house at the corner on the lot now owned and occupied by J. Y. Seruton, Esq., in the basement of which they commenced a small business. It is probable that they remained there only a few years. At that time only a few people had settled near the corner. Chase Wedgwood lived nearly opposite Mr Davis. Noah Litchfield lived on the Nash farm, where J. M. Robbins now lives; Thomas Trafton, where A. D. Barker resides; John Marshall, where Mrs A. Wakefield now lives; Stephen Chase, on the corner of Main and Mill streets, now occupied by Hotel Atwood; and Amos Davis, on what is now the corner of Sabatis and Wood streets. About 1800, a man by the name of Thomas Treadwell had a small stock of goods in one of the rooms of the old Harris house, situated on Main street, now occupied by the Lower Maine Central depot. He remained there only a short time, and was followed by Michael Little and William Haskell. Richard D. Harris had a small stock of goods, probably in his house near the corner of Main and Hammond streets. Ebenezer Herrick and Dan Read were in trade for a short time.


James Lowell came into the place in 1812 or 1813, and commenced trade at what for many years was known as Lowell's Corner. His store was on Main street, near the junction of Hammond. Mr Lowell had the genius of a country trader, and in middle life did an extensive business. About 1822 he built a large two-story building, which he occupied for a store while he remained in business. Three years afterwards he built the two-story house on Main street, now owned by the Central Maine General Hospital. Mr Lowell had an extensive tannery on the southerly side of Main street, and did an extensive business in the manufacture of boots and harnesses. His bark mill was burned in 1847 and was never rebuilt. Ile continued in business until near the close of his life. In 1855 he sold his store and residence at the "Corner," and removed to his farm on Webster street, where he died July 27, 1858.


Nathan Reynolds opened a store in the building occupied by David and Jackson Davis at Lowell's Corner in 1815 or 1816. A rivalry soon sprang up between him and Mr Lowell, both of whom were keen discriminating business men. Soon after Mr Lowell built his store, Mr Reynolds built a two-story brick store, on the corner of Main and Sabatis streets, and within two years after Mr Lowell built his house, Mr Reynolds built the two-story brick house - which has since Mr Reynold's death been remodeled and enlarged-now


411


CITY OF LEWISTON.


owned and occupied by J. Y. Scruton, Esq. Mr Reynolds did an extensive business for those days, but about 1840 sold his goods, and, for a short time, retired from business. Subsequently he and his son, N. B. Reynolds, opened a store on lower Main street, where they continued in business until about 1852.


Gorham &. Philips commenced to trade at Lowell's Corner, just below Lowell's store on Main street, about 1833, and continued in business for several years, and about the same time Pickard & Little opened a store on lower Main street. Gideon D. Dickinson commenced business on lower Main street abont 1837. John B. Jones was also in business for a few years on lower Main street from 1839. Herrick & Little commenced trade in the Pickard store about 1847. Earlier than this John W. Perkins opened the first dry goods store of Lewiston, near the bridge.


Daniel Wood opened a store on lower Main street in 1848. Subsequently he took Howe Weeks as partner, and they built a store near the bridge which they occupied for several years, when the firm was dissolved, and Mr Wood built the brick store on Lisbon street, which he now occupies with the most extensive stock of crockery and glass ware in the city. This is one of the oldest business houses in the city.


.J. P. Longley, a native of Greene, commenced business here in 1847. Subsequently the firm name was Longley & Covell, and afterward changed to Longley & Jordan. They occupied a store near Lowell's Corner. In 1861 Mr Longley became the sole owner (179 Main street) and has continued the business since. His son, J. B., is with him. This is the oldest business house in the city, and manufactures and sells furs, fine harnesses, trunks, traveling bags, etc., and makes a specialty of trotting and racing boots.


Messrs E. S. Paul & Co. is the oldest dry goods house in the city. Business was commenced in 1867 as Goddard & Paul, which was continued for about a decade, when Mr Paul assumed the entire control. It is now one of the largest dry goods establishments in the city. Mr Paul, some years since, built the large brick block which he has since occupied. The firm manufactures cloaks and dresses, and employs about 30 persons.


Messrs Oswald §. Armstrong, dry and fancy goods dealers, were the successors of Arthur Sands, whose store and stock of goods they purchased in 1883. Besides their extensive stock of dry and fancy goods, they have departments of dress and cloak making which they carry on extensively. Oswald & Armstrong occupy five stores on Lisbon street, employ some 44 persons in their several departments, and their annual business amounts to about $140,000. Since March, 1890, Mr Armstrong has been the sole owner of the establishment, but retains the firm name. Mr Armstrong is a war veteran, a member of the Ancient and Honorable Artillery, Boston, has served on Governor Mitchell's staff, and is a member of the board of fire commissioners.


412


HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.


Mr B. Peck, of the firm of the B. Peck Company, commenced business in Lewiston as a member of the firm of E. A. Plummer & Co. Subsequently Mr Peck became sole manager of the business, remaining in Frye Block until 1885, when B. Peck & Co. transferred their stoek to Sands Block, where they have since remained. The business embraces dry and fancy goods, including millinery, cloaks, and garments. The store has a frontage of 50 feet-equal to two stores-with a depth of 95 feet, and occupies two floors and one-half of the basement, about 12,000 square feet. The business is classified into 15 departments, and more than 60 persons are employed. The annual business amounts to $250,000. In April, 1890, the firm was reorganized and is now a stock company, with a capital of $100,000, one-half of which is paid in. The officers are: B. Peck, president; J. H. Crowley, manager; H. A. Free, treasurer; B. Peck, Lewis Lombard, J. H. Crowley, H. A. Free, William Nicoll, William Youland, L. T. Chabot, directors.


There are several other dry goods houses: Lowell &. Lowell, C. D. Farrar &. Co., Butes Remnant Store, Greenberg Brothers, N. Greenberg, etc.


CLOTHING. - John Yeaton Seruton, born in Farmington, N. H., December 23, 1821, started in trade as member of the firm of Burleigh & Scruton in 1853. The firm was later Cobb & Scruton; then Mr Scruton was alone. In 1884 his son, Edwin F., became a partner of the firm of J. Y. Seruton. &. Son, which conducts trade at 23 Lisbon street, and does a business of $40,000 a year. Richards &. Merrill (D. O. Richards and J. L. Merrill) began trade on lower Main street in 1853, and later were in Jones's Block; from there they moved to Journal Block, and built their present store in Lyceum Hall Block in 1872. This house has not been changed in name or members since its foundation. The largest stock in ready-made clothing is carried by Babbitt Brothers, who in 1891 succeeded A. T. Neal, who conducted business as Bicknell & Neal. They occupy two stores on Lisbon street, corner of Ash. An old established house is that now in business as S. A. Isaacson & Co., at the Blue Store, 152 Lisbon street, which was opened in 1881 and passed into the control of S. A. & I. B. Isaacson in 1886. Its connection as a branch of a large Boston house gives it many advantages. W. H. C. Allen (Allen & Co.), 85 Lisbon street, is another of the fair-dealing representative houses in this line, carrying a fine stock.


GROCERS, PROVISION DEALERS, ETC. - The oldest and leading grocery house is that of Nealey & Miller, 239 Main street. This business was started in 1850, by Hirey Day, in a cellar on Middle street. In August, 1860, Mr Day, his son, Joseph II., and A. B. Nealey formed the firm of H. Day & Co., which continued until 1865, when H. Day retired, and the firm became Day, Nealey & Co. The store was removed in 1863 to Blanchard Block on Main street, and in 1867 to Bonnallie Block, when a hardware store was started in their old rooms in Blanchard Block by Joseph H. Day, A. B. Nealey, and Charles H. Miller, as J. H. Day & Co. Mr Miller was later admitted a


413


CITY OF LEWISTON.


partner in the grocery. business, and is treasurer of the Lewiston and Auburn Grocers' Association. The present establishment was purchased by them and fitted up into one of the most convenient stores in Maine, and about 1880 Day, Nealey & Co. dissolved partnership, Mr Day taking the hardware store, and Nealey & Miller continuing as grocers. The business has had a healthy growth from the first, employs 13 males and two females, and its annual business reaches into the hundreds of thousands of dollars. Colonel Nealey is now the oldest grocer of Lewiston, and a director of the Grocers' Association.


Benjamin Litchfield established himself as a grocer in 1865 with George A. Chandler, on the corner of Main and Park streets, and in 1868 formed with Albert Tracy the firm of B. Litchfield & Co., on the opposite corner. In three years Mr Tracy retired, and Mr Litchfield, a year later, took as partner Marshall Emery, who 16 years later sold to S. C. Leslie, Jr, who retired in April, 1891. Mr Litchfield is now alone, but retains the firm name. In 1871 he moved from his former location to the store adjoining his present store in the Dominican School (formerly Bonnallie) Block, and in 1886 occu- pied his present stand. Mr Litchfield is a native of Lewiston, and was a soldier in the Thirteenth Massachusetts in the Civil War for 20 months, receiv- ing his discharge November 29, 1862, in consequence of severe bullet wounds.


John Garner, 213 Park street, established his grocery business over a quarter of a century ago. He was born in England, and during his residence in Lewiston has been prominent in many ways. He has built up a large wholesale and retail trade, and among numerous official positions held by him is president of Lewiston and Auburn Grocers' Association. He conducts a foreign passenger and exchange agency.


J. C. White commenced business as a grocer, on Main street, about thirty years ago, and was in trade until 1890, when he retired from the firm of White & Ames, now Ames & Merrill, 187 Main street. Marwell & Nerens, 10 Park street, are wholesale dealers in teas, spices, etc. D. E. Purlin con- ducts the Boston Tea Store, at 3 Journal Block, established in 1875, and is a wholesale and retail dealer. Selden A. Cummings, 223 Main street, manu- factures confectionery, which he sells at wholesale and retail. Frank L. Hoyt §. Co. are wholesale and retail dealers in groceries, meats, etc., at 230 Lisbon street. Merrifield &. Brewer (William E. Merrifield, Horace W. Brewer) con- duct grocery business at 371 Lisbon street. George A. Wiseman, grocer and baker, does business at 146 Lincoln street. Abram Atwood, 159 Lisbon street, is a wholesale and retail dealer in groceries, meats, etc., established for nearly 25 years. He does an extensive business, and Hotel Atwood carries his name. Edward W. Gross and Julius K. Briggs have conducted a large business in wholesaling beef in Grand Trunk yard as Gross & Briggs.


SHOE DEALERS. - Fessenden I. Day, 5 Journal Block; C. O. Morrell, corner of Lisbon and Main streets; A. S. Melcher, 4 Frye Block.


..


414


HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.


WATCHES, JEWELRY, ETC. - H. A. Osgood & Son (wholesale) and H. A. Osgood & Co. (retail), 127 Lisbon street; George A. Drew, 2 Frye Block ; A. W. Anthoine, 79 Lisbon street, established 1880, has a large stock of finely selected goods ; J. W. Perry & Son, 90 Lisbon street: E. E. Pomeroy, 84 Lisbon street ; A. S. Wright, 229 Lisbon street.


HARDWARE, CUTLERY, STOVES, ETC. - Thomas R. Catland makes a spe- cialty of electrical appliances, cutlery, and sporting goods, does light machine work, is a locksmith, and has but one competitor in the city. J. H. Stetson s. Co. (Joseph II. and George B. Stetson), 65 Lisbon street, successors to Bean & Stetson, deal in kitchen furnishings, stoves, furnaces, ranges, etc. Charles Greenwood was in extensive business from 1879 to 1890. J. H. Chase now occupies his former stand, 191 Lisbon street. Among other prominent houses are Hall &. Knight Hardware Co., 53 Lisbon street, successors to Owen & Hall, dealers in manufacturers' supplies, etc., and A. L. &. E. F. Goss, Main street, corner Lincoln street, stoves, furnaces, etc.


COAL, WOOD, ETC. - Bearce, Wilson & Co., 138 Main street, deal in coal and wood. This number is also headquarters of the extensive lumbering firm of Bearce &. Wilson (George B. Bearce, Charles C. Wilson), large operators in the Upper Androscoggin valley. Other dealers in coal and wood are John N. Wood, 64 Middle street ; H. B. Skinner & Co., cross canal ; L. C. Robbins, 270 Main street; Harper &. Googin (John Harper, Melvin J. Googin), 138 Bates street; O. A. Norton, 51 Ash street.


FLOUR, GRAIN, MEAL, ETC. - J. L. Hayes & Co. (Jacob L. and Sylvanus B.) do a large business in the sale of these important articles and lime and cement, at 282 Main street (Lowell's Corner); J. B. Ham & Co., Grand Trunk yard; O. S. Ham, Haymarket Square; M. J. Davis, 86 Park street.


PAINTERS AND DECORATORS. - I. S. Faunce, painter and decorator, of over 30 years' experience, 57 Bates street; George W. Boardman, plain and decorative paper-hanger, and house, wall, and ceiling painter, etc., 266 Main street; James M. Sherman, painter, grainer, glazier, paper-hanger, and fancy decorator, 96 Chestnut street.


INSURANCE. - Chamberlin & Little, 79 Lisbon street, is one of the oldest insurance agencies, succeeding a firm established 30 years or more ago. F. A. Conant represents good companies, with office in Sands Building. Archie L. Talbot, 19 Lisbon street, is general agent of that strong conservative Quaker company, the Provident Life and Trust Company of Philadelphia. Nazaire Payette, 8 College Block, is manager of the Metropolitan Insurance Company. Callahan & Durocher, 226 Lisbon street, conduct insurance.


CIVIL ENGINEERS. - John A. Jones, Pilsbury Block. Charles Bowers, Franklin Company's office.


BOOKS AND STATIONERY. - The firm of Douglass § Cook, 188 Lisbon street, is an old established one, and keeps the name it had when S. W. Cook was a partner. It does a large business.


415


CITY OF LEWISTON.


BOOK AND JOB PRINTERS. - Nelson Dingley, Jr., & Co., Journal Block ; George A. Callahan, 21 Lisbon street (established 1862) ; W. H. Weeks, 32 Main street.


BOOKBINDER. - Mrs. C. A. Neal, Journal Block.


Hon. James Lowell was born in Buckfield, January 5, 1791. (See merchants.) He was confident, even in early life, that Lewiston would ultimately become a large manufacturing city. Governed by this impulse he invested all his surplus funds in real estate, on which he realized large returns. For 20 consecutive years, commencing with 1829, Mr Lowell was treasurer of the town of Lewiston, representative to the legislature in 1839, 1851, and 1852, and was a member of the state senate in 1841. In all of these places of responsibility he exhibited sound judgment, a conservative spirit, and devotion to the trusts confided to him. Mr Lowell was quiet and unassuming in manner, and was highly esteemed in business circles. He married, in 1814, Hannah Paul, of New Gloucester. They had three sons, Mark, Daniel, and James, Jr, and one daughter, Vesta, who married Dr A. Burbank. Mark Lowell was one of the selectmen for several years, and also a representative to the legislature. Mr Lowell died July 27, 1858.


Colonel John M. Frye, a descendant of General Joseph Frye, of Fryeburg, was born in Westbrook, November 28, 1802. Mr Frye, from early manhood, was intimately connected with the manufacturing industries of Lewiston, retaining his relation to the Lewiston Falls Manufacturing Company until he retired from business. In the municipal affairs of the town and city he took a deep interest. He served on the board of selectmen, was eleven years town treasurer, was a member of the Maine senate in 1841, and was elected a member of the governor's council in 1861. In these various positions he served with honor to himself and to the gratification of the people. In middle life he was elected colonel of his regiment of militia, a position in which he took much interest, making a model officer. Colonel Frye married Miss Alice Davis, daughter of Mr David Davis, in 1828. They had two sons, Hon. William P. Frye, the distinguished senator, now in the U. S. senate, Dr Albert S. Frye, who died in early life, and several daughters. Colonel Frye died January 1, 1885.


Major William R. Frye, a brother of Colonel John M. Frye, was born in Westbrook in 1808. He married Melicant Mower, of Greene. Major Frye in early life was one of the most successful of our school teachers, having taught a number of years at Lowell's Corner and at the Herrick school-house. He was interested in manufacturing, having for years an interest in the woolen mill here and at Sabatis. But it was in political life he was best known. Unquestionably he had the power of leadership, and had he been physically


416


HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.


strong would have made it felt. For seven years he was chairman of the board of selectmen, was postmaster under Van Buren, Pierce, and Buchanan ; and was a member of the state senate in 1841 and 1842. He was instrumental in securing the location of the Maine State Seminary here and was one of the trustees of Bates College. Mr Frye had abilities of no ordinary character. As a speaker he was forcible, incisive, with a marked command of language. He drew around him many friends, and was not wanting in enthusiastic admirers, and in his intercourse with the public was kind and affable. His second wife was Miss Susan E. Caverly, of Lowell, Mass. Major Frye died March 5, 1865.


Edward P. Tobie, a native of Chesterville, married Miss Caroline Frye, daughter of Mr Dean Frye, in 1829, and removed to Lewiston about 1836. Mr Tobie was elected town clerk in 1839, and held the office of town and city clerk, with the exception of one year, until his death in 1875. His life was one of singular purity and commanded universal respect. His family consisted of two sons and two daughters. One of his sons, Edward P. Tobie, Jr, is one of the editors of the Providence Journal, and a brilliant writer.


Captain Daniel Holland, son of John and Rebecca Holland, who settled in the southern part of Lewiston early in this century, was born September 23, 1811, and died in March, 1891. He learned the tanning business of Asa Garcelon, and lived for a while in Durham. He married, October 22, 1835, Mary A., daughter of Deacon Joseph Field, and settled in Lewiston and became an active, vigorous, hard-working, honest-hearted business man of foresight and public spirit. Their children are Mrs F. I. Day, of Lewiston, Mrs H. S. Garcelon, of Dayville, Conn., and Alphonso B. Holland, of Lewiston. In 1836 Captain Holland and Stephen Field, his brother-in-law, put up a building on Sabatis street. It was a large building for those days, and they did a large business buying wool skins and pulling wool. The first residence of Captain Holland was in the Manning House, near Sabatis-street junction with Main street. About 1837 Captain Holland built a two-story brick house where Central Block is. He lived here many years, making famous thick boots, and selling them at retail at Portland and Bangor. He was an ardent militia-man, and captain of the Light Infantry Company. He did most of the lumbering in this city until the advent of Mr Bearce, and was an extensive dealer in real estate. He was especially potent at the time the corporations (in 1847) were desirous of buying land. They found it difficult to purchase, and in connection with Colonel Reed and Mark Lowell, Captain Holland acted as a self-constituted committee, and bonded many farms and much land on both sides of the river. He built his fine brick residence on College street about 1872. He was president of the Lewiston Falls Bank, town treasurer in 1856 and 1857, and representative in 1866 and 1867. In 1868 he was a member of the governor's council, and in 1870 and 1871 was in the Maine State Senate. Ile was prominent in the establishment of Riverside Cemetery,


417


CITY OF LEWISTON.


and with John M. Frye, Wm R. Frye, Alonzo Gareelon, A. H. Kelsey, Amos Nevens, D. H. Hamilton, Ammi R. Nash, and S. R. Bearee bought the property for $11,000, and established the corporation. Every one respected Captain Holland for his native integrity, his candid common sense, his wide acquaintance with business, his rare judgment on all matters of social and industrial welfare, his kind heart, and his honest soul.


John Read, Esq., son of Colonel Stephen and Abigail (Brown) Read, was born in Lewiston, December 21, 1820. Mr Read's educational advantages were obtained in the public schools of the town and at the Lewiston Falls Academy, where he took a course in higher mathematics in order to prepare himself for the profession of civil engineer, which he subsequently pursued, having been engaged on several railroads in this state and in this west. In 1855 Mr Read was elected chairman of the board of selectmen; was one of the county commissioners from 1869 to 1881; street commissioner of the city of Lewiston for three years ; superintendent of the water works for two years ; clerk of the water works for two years; and has been secretary of the Odd Fellows' Mutual Relief Association since 1885. He married Miss Mary A. Bonney, of Turner, May 18, 1848, and has two sons, Charles B. Reade, who graduated at Bates College in the class of 1873, and is now Deputy Sergeant- at-Arms of the U. S. Senate, and J. Leslie Reade, a graduate of Bates College, class of 1883, who is now connected with the Auburn Daily Gazette.




Need help finding more records? Try our genealogical records directory which has more than 1 million sources to help you more easily locate the available records.