USA > Maine > Androscoggin County > History of Androscoggin County, Maine > Part 33
Note: The text from this book was generated using artificial intelligence so there may be some errors. The full pages can be found on Archive.org (link on the Part 1 page).
Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5 | Part 6 | Part 7 | Part 8 | Part 9 | Part 10 | Part 11 | Part 12 | Part 13 | Part 14 | Part 15 | Part 16 | Part 17 | Part 18 | Part 19 | Part 20 | Part 21 | Part 22 | Part 23 | Part 24 | Part 25 | Part 26 | Part 27 | Part 28 | Part 29 | Part 30 | Part 31 | Part 32 | Part 33 | Part 34 | Part 35 | Part 36 | Part 37 | Part 38 | Part 39 | Part 40 | Part 41 | Part 42 | Part 43 | Part 44 | Part 45 | Part 46 | Part 47 | Part 48 | Part 49 | Part 50 | Part 51 | Part 52 | Part 53 | Part 54 | Part 55 | Part 56 | Part 57 | Part 58 | Part 59 | Part 60 | Part 61 | Part 62 | Part 63 | Part 64 | Part 65 | Part 66 | Part 67 | Part 68 | Part 69 | Part 70 | Part 71 | Part 72 | Part 73 | Part 74 | Part 75 | Part 76 | Part 77 | Part 78 | Part 79 | Part 80 | Part 81 | Part 82 | Part 83 | Part 84 | Part 85 | Part 86 | Part 87 | Part 88 | Part 89 | Part 90 | Part 91 | Part 92 | Part 93 | Part 94 | Part 95 | Part 96 | Part 97 | Part 98 | Part 99 | Part 100 | Part 101 | Part 102 | Part 103 | Part 104 | Part 105 | Part 106 | Part 107 | Part 108
The following is a complete list of those who have been honored with the highest office. The first two held the office of N. G. in M. and M. Lodge, and attained the rank of P. G. there: Isaac A. Johnson, John D. Johnson ; 1875, Chas M. Lander, Geo. F. Stetson; 1876, Geo. B. Briggs, Enoch Perkins; 1877, Chas S. Yeaton, J. B. K. Drake; 1878, Fred W. Hunton, J. W. Mitchell; 1879, Chas W. Campbell, S. S. Smith; 1880, Geo. F. Sturtevant, Henry A. Noyes ; 1881, Geo. A. Decoster, T. Lloyd Pratt; 1882, B. F. Metcalf, J. B. Hunton ; 1883, J. R. Brett, B. F. Green ; 1884, S. B. Smith, A. T. Gammon; 1885, W. R. McGibbon, II. C. Whitman; 1886, W. H. Keith, E. G. Sprague ; 1887, E. A. Lothrop, E. E. Randall; 1888, N. S. Rand, George W. Chase; 1889, M. C. Hunton, Frank Rackliff; 1890, H. J. Reckard, George W. Merrill. These are the men who were instrumental in the upbuilding of this lodge, and many of them are active in lodge work. This list embraces none who have had the benefit of anything but a common-school education ; none who can lay claim to any great distinction ; none who are possessed of great wealth (reckoned from a worldly standpoint), yet among them are those who possess riches (measured by a higher standard-the possession of character), and an earnest desire to aid and assist their fellow-men. The names of a few like Bros. Pratt, Sturtevant, Metcalf, Rackliff, Green, Brett, Sprague, Whitman, S. B. and S. S. Smith are a sufficient guarantee of this.
Pejepsrot Encampment, No. 8, Auburn,1 was instituted April 10, 1874, by Grand Patriarch W. E. Pressey, assisted by Chas W. French, G. H. P .; O. G. Douglass, G. J. W .; A. D. Smith, G. S. W. ; N. G. Cummings, G. Scribe; F. T. Littlefield, G. Treas .; Jos. H. Wentworth, G. Sent .; Chas H. Rich, G. Rep. The following named patriarchs were the charter members: Dana Goff, C'has M. Lander, John F. Davis, Jacob S. Parker, Jas S. Robbins, H. G. Garcelon, F. M. Gammage, Geo. F. Stetson, Clarence C. Frost, Isaac A. Johnson, Edmund Libby, A. T. Bean, Enoch Perkins, Chas S. Emerson, Jas S. Steadman, B. F. Wood, Seth P. Miller, Daniel Wood, Fred Kelley, Henry L. Johnson, J. M. Cook, W. H. Jordan, Geo. H. Harmon, John Read. The following officers were elected and appointed : John Read, C. P .; C. C. Frost, H. P .; S. P. Miller, S. W .: J. S. Parker, J. W .; Fred Kelley, Scribe ; Isaac A. Johnson, F. S .; A. T. Bean, Treas. ; Henry L. Johnson, O. S .; J. F. Davie, I. S .; Jas M. Steadman, G .; C. S. Emerson, 1st W .; Jas S. Robbins, 2d W .; C. M. Lander, 3d W .; H. G. Garcelon, 4th W .; F. M. Gammage, 1st G. of T .; W. H. Jordan, 2d G. of T. There were 36 applications made at the first meeting. August 1, 1874, the membership was 61, and November 14, 1890, 170. The encampment is in good working order, and has purchased new paraphernalia at a cost of $350. Officers, November 14, 1890: C. B. Currier,
1 By B. L. Tuttle.
280
HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.
C. P .; Royal Pearl, S. W .; M. C. Hunton, J. W .; Isaac Goddard, H. P .; S. B. Smith, F. S .; J. T. Hale, Treas. ; B. L. Tuttle, Seribe ; J. H. Brabson, O. S .; B. L. Ware, I. S .; S. H. Lovejoy, 1st W .; S. B. Cushman, 2d W .; E. C. Andrews, 3d W .; W. S. Walker, 4th W .; F. C. Currier, 1st G. of T .; G. F. Keith, 2d G. of T. Meetings the second and fourth Tuesdays in each month in Odd Fellows Hall.
Blake Lodge, No. 110, 1. O. O. F., Turner.1-In the winter of 1884-5, a number of Odd Fellows being located in Turner, a few conceived and put in rapid execution the plan of procuring a charter and instituting a lodge of I. O. O. F. in Turner village. Of the leaders there may be mentioned as most active, W. B. Beals, II. L. Irish, Henry Morriss, J. W. Littlefield, and Caleb Blake. A petition to the Grand Lodge for a charter was drawn up by Dr H. L. Irish, and the requisite number of signers soon obtained. The christening of the embryonic lodge caused considerable discussion, but it was finally decided that it should be named in honor of Caleb Blake, to whose indefati- gable zeal it would be largely indebted for its existence, and the name " Blake Lodge" was accordingly chosen. On March 30, 1885, the Grand Lodge of Maine met at Turner village, Grand Master E. W. Conant presiding. The following petitioners appeared and were duly instituted a "Lodge of the I. O. O. F., to be known and hailed as Blake Lodge, No. 110, I. O. O. F., under the jurisdiction of the Grand Lodge of Maine ": James M. Allen, Caleb Blake, Fred W. Bonney, H. W. Burdin, W. B. Beals, S. W. Cary, H. A. Chase, C. H. Humphrey, A. H. Harlow, D. Y. Harlow, H. L. Irish, John Kimball, J. W. Littlefield, L. E. Merrill, Henry Morriss, J. W. Newell, A. H. Pratt, H. J. Pratt, J. F. Quimby, G. W. Snell, J. M. Virgin. On the same evening G. M. Conant installed the officers as follows: N. G., H. L. Irish; V. G., D. Y. Harlow; Sec., W. B. Beals ; P. S., J. F. Quimby; Treas., Caleb Blake.
Rapid additions were made to the membership, so that at the end of the . year 23 had been initiated and one admitted by card. Since that time the lodge has steadily increased in number and strength. The upper room in the newly-built Methodist church was secured for a term of years for lodge purposes ; and in this favorable location the lodge met until July 1, 1891, when it moved into Roberts's Hall, which they have leased for a term of years. The lodge owns an excellent building lot opposite W. H. French's store, purchased from the C. Blake estate, April 7, 1888. A new hall on this lot, which shall be a credit to the village and to the brotherhood, is a vision which is hoped and expected to become a reality in the near future. The plan and design of Odd Fellowship make the order popular everywhere among young men. Blake Lodge, young in years, is composed largely of young men; and the additions made from time to time are from the ranks of those who, while in the prime of their manhood, understand the advantages that come of belonging to an order
I By O. A. Sprague, M.D.
281
THE PRESS OF ANDROSCOGGIN.
which looks so carefully after the physical and moral welfare of its members. In January, 1891, the lodge numbered 77 members. Of these the following are Past Grands: H. L. Irish, D. Y. Harlow, L. E. Merrill, A. H. Pratt, F. T. Faulkner, H. J. Pratt, J. S. P. H. Wilson, Henry Morriss, A. L. Robinson, C. A. Bonney, W. B. Bradford; S. D. Andrews, P. G. of Nonantum Lodge, Massachusetts ; and E. H. Cole of Nezinscot Lodge. Of these, H. L. Irish has been and J. S. H. P. Wilson now is District Deputy Grand Master. Officers, January, 1891: W. B. Beals, N. G .; Frank W. North, V. G .; O. A. Sprague, R. Sec. ; L. H. Blossom, P. Sec .; F. T. Faulkner, Treas. Deaths. - Caleb Blake, in honor of whom the lodge was named, was the first to be called from the lodge by death. He died July 20, 1885, in less than four months after the charter was granted. James M. Allen, Past Grand of Blake Lodge, died September 22, 1886. Walter Hutchinson died January 16, 1888; and W. L. Blossom, October 14, 1890.
CHAPTER XIII.
The Press of Androscoggin-County Medical Association -The Grange- Woman's Christian Temperance Union.
T HE PRESS OF ANDROSCOGGIN .- In 1844 Holland & Lane, merchants of Lewiston, published 12 numbers of an advertising sheet, The Lewiston Falls Advertiser, edited by Francis Lane, and in 1846 Joseph D. Davis, merchant of Goff's Corner, issued a small advertising sheet, The Cosmopolite, gratuitously for some weeks. These did not attain the rank of newspapers.
LEWISTON. - The Lewiston Journal, the pioneer newspaper of this county, was first published May 21, 1847, as a weekly, by William H. Waldron and Dr Alonzo Garcelon as W. H. Waldron & Co. Dr Francis Lane was editor for some months, and Dr Garcelon and Mr Waldron were the principal con- tributors. The office was in the second story of an old wooden building on Main street, standing where Jones Block was erected later. The Journal then was a folio of 33 x 23 inches, and was printed on a Franklin hand-press. Col William Garcelon was much interested in the office, and brought the press from Portland with his own team. He also "pulled" the impression for the first copy printed, and preserved the paper until his death. Dr Garcelon's business operations and professional duties occupied so much of his time that Mr Waldron had entire charge of the business, and on Dr Lane's retirement he became the editor. When the Journal was established, Lewiston and Auburn
282
HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.
had only 4,000 inhabitants, the water-power of the falls was almost wholly undeveloped, the towns later formed into Androscoggin county held political relations with four different counties, and the newspaper had no advantage of location. It was neutral in politics, acquired but a small circulation, and was kept alive only by careful management. Dr Garcelon retired in 1850. The circulation was then nearly 700. The Journal paid little attention to politics, gave brief summaries of domestic and foreign news, with such local news as came to hand, and kept the columns full of advertising, which did not yield much revenue. In 1851 the office was removed to the third story of Garcelon's building. The next three years were marked by anxiety, struggle, and faith. Then fortune smiled, Androseoggin county was formed, Lewiston Falls became a politieal center, and the county looked to the Journal for information. Business advertising and job work increased on both sides of the river. In 1854 the Journal warmly supported the new Republican party, and about this time Nelson Dingley, Jr, then a senior of Dartmouth College, began to contribute political articles. In 1855 Mr Waldron erected a brick block on Main street, removed the office to it, and introduced a Guernsey press. In September, 1856, Mr Dingley purchased one-half interest, and in 1857 became sole proprietor. Mr Dingley strove to make the Journal of such value that no resident of the county, whether favoring or opposing its politics, could afford to do without it, placed it among the leading journals of the state, and it soon largely increased its business and circulation. April 20, 1861, the first number of the Daily Journal was issued, a sheet 29x19 inches in size. For one year the Daily Journal added nothing to the profits of the office, and very slowly secured a permanent foothold and financial strength. It, however, in time attained a large subscription and advertising patronage and the reputation of being the ablest and most influential daily in Maine. In 1862 the Journal was moved to its present location, Journal Block being built to accommodate it. In 1863, Frank L. Dingley, brother of Nelson Dingley, Jr, a graduate of Bowdoin College in 1861, who had been on the editorial staff since his graduation, became a member of the firm of Nelson Dingley, Jr, & Co., which now publishes the paper. In 1866 the weekly became a quarto, and in 1868 the Journal was increased in size, and steam-power presses, folders, ete., were introduced. In 1887 the daily was made an eight-column paper with a double number Saturday, and in 1891 an eight-page paper regularly and a sixteen-page paper on Saturdays ; and the Weekly was made a sixteen-page paper. In 1890, Mr H. E. Andrews, who had been on the staff for several years, was admitted to the firm. Both the Daily and Weekly Journal have the largest circulation in Maine of any newspaper. The objects and aims of the publishers have been expressed thus :-
It is the intention to so conduct the Journal as a progressive Republican and family newspaper, that it may be indispensable to all citizens of Maine who desire the completest
283
THE PRESS OF ANDROSCOGGIN.
news, and a profitable visitant at every fireside. We shall use extraordinary exertions to obtain the fullest local and state news, and the latest foreign and domestic intelligence, and labor to give a valuable summary of the transactions of this and other nations. Its agricultural department will be made both interesting and instructive. In many respects the Journal will bear a literary character, and, as it is here that we shall take especial pride, the pearls that are washing about in the great ocean of literature will be carefully gathered, and the original matter that comes under that head will not suffer in comparison with the selections. We shall not cease to make war on intemperance while we are able to strike a blow for the public good. The internal interests of the state we deem of vital importance to its prosperity, and, under all circumstances, we shall keep them prominently before us and strive for their promotion.
The Lewiston Republican was established in 1860 by H. C. Johnson, which was succeeded by the Lewiston Herald, a neutral paper, with daily and weekly editions, published by Johnson & Hale. Both were discontinued within a year. Mr Hale has been in charge of the Journal book-and-job department for the past 30 years. In 1868 two attempts were made to establish Democratic papers. In February one number of The Conservative was issued, and, during the campaign, Hon. E. K. Smart, of Camden, issued The Jacksonian.
The Lewiston Daily News, George A. Callahan, editor and proprietor, was started December 9, 1879, as a one-cent daily, independent in politics. It was published for 11 weeks.
The Sunday Sun, Bowles & McVay, publishers, began a short existence November 6, 1881.
The Labor Advocate was established as a five-column weekly, July 17, 1884, D. W. Smith, proprietor and editor. A stock company, The Advocate Publishing Company, came into possession September 1, 1888, changed the name to The National Advocate, and now publish it from 82 Main street. It is an eight-column paper. D. W. Smith is president of the company; W. H. Weeks, clerk and treasurer; D. W. Smith, W. H. Weeks, H. S. Hobbs, directors. The Lewiston Daily Advocate, a paper of Democratic tendencies, was published from December 4, 1889, to May 13, 1890, by the Daily Advocate Co., C. S. Gurney and D. W. Smith, editors. Both the daily and weekly Advocate were printed by W. H. Weeks.
The Farmer and Mechanic was published in Lewiston for eight months, in 1852, by M. V. Stetson and J. B. Jones.
Dr Young, an eccentric druggist, began the publication of a religio-philo- sophical journal, The Pansophist, in 1852. After a year it was discontinued, but the Doctor soon issued The Touchstone, which lived two years.
The Maine Evangelist, a Congregational weekly, was removed to Lewiston in 1856, and was published from the Journal office until its discontinuance in 1862. The Christian Mirror was also published at the Journal office for a time.
Once a Month, a literary monthly, was started June, 1866, by George M.
284
HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.
Stanchfield & Co. It claimed 3,000 circulation and was published until Mr Stanchfield's removal to the West a year or so later.
The Bates Student is a monthly magazine, published by the students of Bates College during the 10 months of the school year. The first number was issued January 1, 1873. The first editor, F. B. Stanford, has since filled with ability editorial positions on the Sunday-School Times and the Independent.
Once a Week, a literary quarto, published and edited by Miss S. W. Sanford and Mrs E. S. Getchell, began a brief existence April 12, 1873.
The Cross and Crown was a religious monthly, published under the auspices of the Young Men's Covenant Band of the First Baptist Church of Lewiston. It was first issued in the fall of 1877 and was published several years.
The Growing Pines, a juvenile monthly, was started in March, 1886, by Augusta Lee Swift, the fifteen-year-old daughter of E. S. Swift, of the Journal book -and -job department, and grand-daughter of J. S. Swift, the veteran journalist of Franklin county. It was published six months.
Le Messager, a French newspaper published weekly, was established in May, 1880, by L. J. Martel, M.D. It was purchased by E. Provost in 1881, and later by a company composed of E. Provost, Dr L. J. Martel, J. N. L'Heureux, and Dr F. P. Vanier. In 1886 it became the property of Dr L. J. Martel and E. H. Tardivel. In 1887 Dr Vanier became sole proprietor. The first editor was J. D. Montmarquet. He was followed by a committee of editors, they by E. H. Tardivel, and he by Dr Vanier. Le Messager was first published on Chestnut street where Provost Block stands; later its office was on Main street at the head of Lincoln street. In 1889 it was removed to Wiseman Block on Chestnut street. Le Messager is an independent Demo- cratic journal with a circulation of 2,500, principally in Lewiston, Brunswick, Biddeford, Westbrook, Waterville, Augusta, and Aroostook county. Another French newspaper, L'Republique, had a brief life a few years since.
AUBURN. - The Democratic Advocate was started in May, 1852, by George W. Chase, Esq., printed for six months in the Journal office, and removed to Auburn. After the death of Mr Chase, July 18, 1853, it was conducted by George H. Merrill until October 14, 1853, when Dr P. Dyer became editor, the firm becoming Dyer & Merrill until December. 27, 1854, when Dr Dyer bought Merrill's interest. November 15, 1855, he sold to Calvin Record & Co. In 1857 C. B. Stetson became proprietor until 1861, when it and the Lewiston Republican were united in the Lewiston Herald.
The Union was established as a Democratie newspaper, January, 1855, in Auburn by Abbott & Waterhouse. John Abbott, editor. It was discontinued in March.
The Auburn Clipper was first published June 2, 1873, by Kimball & Rowe, No. 2 Phoenix Block. It passed into the hands of George C. Boomer, who
285
THE PRESS OF ANDROSCOGGIN.
afterward published the comic Moon for a brief period. Later the Clipper became the property of Oliver N. Otis. It attained quite a circulation.
The history of the Auburn Gazette dates from the foundation of the Lewiston Gazette, of which it was the successor. The Gazette was started by Col William H. Waldron, the pioneer journalist of this county, February 8, 1872. The Gazette was the last newspaper enterprise in which this veteran publisher was engaged. His first venture in this field was the American Eagle, a penny daily, published in Boston in the early forties by an association of journeyman printers, as the organ of the Native American party. Out of this, in 1846, grew the Boston Herald, of which Mr Waldron was one of the five original publishers. In 1847 he removed to Lewiston, where he was one of the founders of the Lewiston Journal. In 1853 he began the publication of the Brunswick Telegraph, which he sold in 1856 to Mr A. G. Tenney. In 1857 he sold out his interest in the Lewiston Journal to Nelson Dingley, Jr. In 1859 he became senior partner in the firm of Waldron, Little & Co., which bought the Portland Advertiser, and secured the services of James G. Blaine as editor. In 1861 the Advertiser was sold to F. O. J. Smith. Shortly after- wards the war broke out and Mr Waldron raised Company I of the Six- teenth Maine, and went to the front. Colonel Waldron established the Lewiston Weekly Gazette, February 8, 1872. In 1876 Thomas E. Calvert, Colonel Waldron's son-in-law, entered into partnership with him and became editor of the Gazette, which position he has since filled. In 1881 Colonel Waldron died, and the Gazette was published by Calvert & Waldron, the Mr Waldron being Colonel Waldron's son. July 12, 1886, the daily edition of the Gazette was established as the Lewiston and Auburn Daily Gazette, and was printed under that name for the six months following, when it was sold to the Auburn Gazette Company.1 The Gazette was moved from Lewiston to Phoenix Block, Auburn, where its first issue as the Auburn Daily Gazette appeared January 21, 1889, and the Auburn Weekly Gazette on January 24. This location, however, proving too small for its increasing business, December 15, 1890, the Gazette establishment was moved to its present commodious quarters, where its various departments are suitably equipped and located for business, from press-room in the basement, with its new two-revolution Cottrell press, and counting-room on ground floor, to the composing and editorial rooms above. An important and rapidly growing branch of the Auburn Gazette Company's business is the publication of the Turf, Farm and Home, a paper devoted chiefly to the horse interests of Maine. This is the only weekly paper of the kind in the state, and was established in May, 1889. It has met with marked success, its circulation being nearly 4,000 in Maine and the Provinces. It has correspondents and local agents in every county of
1 An incorporation having as corporators T. E. Calvert, W. W. Stetson, E. T. Gile, Ara Cushman, N. W. Harris, C. W. Waldron, Charles Horbury, W. H. Newell, and T. E. Eustis.
286
HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.
Maine, and in all the horse centers of New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, and Prince Edward's Island. All the leading horsemen of Maine are on its subscription list. The officers of the Auburn Gazette Company are: Thomas E. Calvert, president and editor; W. W. Stetson, treasurer; N. W. Harris, secretary ; S. F. Merrill, N. W. Harris, W. H. Newell, W. W. Stetson, Thomas E. Calvert, directors.
MECHANIC FALLS. - " The Down Easter was the first paper printed at Mechanic Falls, by Wm Cady, in 1867, followed by the Androscoggin Herald, by Mr Moody, then by Wm H. Clark & Son; then The Citizen, by Allen & Moore, afterward by Charles S. Allen, then by Thurston & Garland, who continued till 1882. In 1884 The Ledger was started by Poole Brothers; it was the first newspaper started in Poland. Since establishment the paper has changed to The Mechanic Falls Ledger, and increased in size three times. In connection with the newspaper is run one of the largest book establishments in the state. This department employs from 20 to 30 hands. The Poole Brothers also run an electrotype foundry, the only job foundry in Maine. Most of the book work done is for Boston, New York, and Chicago publishers. In 1890 their two-story building, 30 x 60 feet, was erected on Pine street, the building being used exclusively in the manufacture of books, job printing, and the Mechanic Falls Ledger."1
The Beekeepers Advance, a monthly apiarian journal, is published by J. B. Mason & Sons.
LISBON. - There have been three papers published in Lisbon. The Rising Sun was published at Lisbon Falls for one year from January, 1858, under the patronage of the Free Baptist Association. George Plummer was proprietor, Rev. A. W. Hobbs, editor.
The Telephone had a brief life a few years since.
The Lisbon Observer was started at Lisbon Falls in 1886, by B. F. Thorn. June 28, 1890, he was succeeded as publisher and owner by Nutting & Worthing. It is an eight-page weekly paper, printed in Boston by the New England News- paper Union.
LIVERMORE FALLS. - The Livermore Falls Gazette, John Morrill, publisher, was published for a few months, about 1857.
The Local Press was established October 18, 1889, by John M. S. Hunter, of Farmington, with E. I. Beek as editor. Mr Beck assumed the proprietor- ship April 10, 1891. The Press is a weekly four-page paper, 22 x 28 inches in size, devoted to the interests of Livermore Falls and vicinity.
TURNER. - Solon Chase began the publication at Chase's Mills of a weekly greenback newspaper, Chase's Chronicle, January 2, 1875. His connec- tion with it continued until 1879, when it had a circulation of 6,000 copies. It was then moved to Portland, changed to Greenback Labor Chronicle, and
1 History of Poland.
287
COUNTY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION -THE GRANGE.
suspended in a year. Chase's Enquirer was started in Turner, March 18, 1880, by a stock company, under the management of Solon Chase. The company took the paper from the editor and moved it to Lewiston in October, 1881. When removed it had a circulation of 3,000 copies, but it suspended in six months. March 15, 1882, Mr Chase started another paper called Them Steers, in Turner, in which the "anti-fusion idea " was advocated. But this was not sufficiently popular to enable even a popular editor to win success, and the paper was discontinued May 21, 1883.
ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION. - This society had its origin in a meeting of physicians called at the suggestion of Maine Medical Association, which met at the court house in Auburn, January 1, 1868. These physicians were present: Alonzo Garcelon, H. L. K. Wiggin, Silvester Oakes, R. L. Harlow, J. W. Beede, Dr Vaughan, Eli Edgecomb, J. M. Small, J. II. Blake, Oren A. Horr, H. L. Irish, R. R. Ricker, J. A. Donovan. The meeting was called to order by Dr Alonzo Garcelon, and Dr Kilbourne was chosen chairman; Dr Beede, secretary ; Drs Sturgis and Oakes of Auburn, and Graves of Webster, committee on permanent organization; Drs Wiggin and Blake of Auburn, and Wedgwood of Lewiston, committee on constitution and by-laws. The organization was perfected January 8, 1868. The presidents have been : William Kilbourne, Alonzo Garcelon, N. C. Harris, Eli Edgecomb, H. L. K. Wiggin, Silvester Oakes, M. C. Wedgwood, J. M. Small, O. A. Horr, J. W. Beede, R. R. Ricker, R. S. Harlow, E. H. Hill, B. F. Sturgis, Roscoe Smith, J. A. Donovan, Jason Walker, Wallace K. Oakes, A. M. Peables, C. E. Wil- liams, Elizabeth S. Horr, A. M. Garcelon, O. A. Horr, C. B. Andrews. C. E. Williams is corresponding secretary, and W. B. Small, recording secretary. The members in April, 1891, are: S. G. Bonney, F. L. Dixon, J. A. Donovan, G. P. Emmons, A. Garcelon, A. M. Garcelon, E. H. Hill, O. A. Horr, Elizabeth S. Horr, L. J. Martel, L. E. N. Matte, C. E. Norton, R. R. Ricker, E. W. Rus- sell, J. M. Small, W. B. Small, Aurelia Springer, M. C. Wedgwood, N. J. Wedgwood, Lewiston ; G. B. Andrews, J. W. Beede, E. S. Coan, W. K. Oakes, A. M. Peables, D. N. Skinner, R. Smith, B. F. Sturgis, S. E. Wentworth, C. E. Williams, Auburn; H. L. Irish, J. T. Cushing, Turner; J. Walker, Minot; F. E. Sleeper, Sabatis; I. Rounds, South Paris; C. H. Foster, Lisbon ; G. W. Curtis, Lisbon Falls; E. A. McCollister, Gray ; S. A. Vosmus, North Pownal.
Need help finding more records? Try our genealogical records directory which has more than 1 million sources to help you more easily locate the available records.