History of Androscoggin County, Maine, Part 43

Author: Merrill, Georgia Drew, ed
Publication date: 1891
Publisher: Boston, W.A. Fergusson & co.
Number of Pages: 1050


USA > Maine > Androscoggin County > History of Androscoggin County, Maine > Part 43


Note: The text from this book was generated using artificial intelligence so there may be some errors. The full pages can be found on Archive.org (link on the Part 1 page).


Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5 | Part 6 | Part 7 | Part 8 | Part 9 | Part 10 | Part 11 | Part 12 | Part 13 | Part 14 | Part 15 | Part 16 | Part 17 | Part 18 | Part 19 | Part 20 | Part 21 | Part 22 | Part 23 | Part 24 | Part 25 | Part 26 | Part 27 | Part 28 | Part 29 | Part 30 | Part 31 | Part 32 | Part 33 | Part 34 | Part 35 | Part 36 | Part 37 | Part 38 | Part 39 | Part 40 | Part 41 | Part 42 | Part 43 | Part 44 | Part 45 | Part 46 | Part 47 | Part 48 | Part 49 | Part 50 | Part 51 | Part 52 | Part 53 | Part 54 | Part 55 | Part 56 | Part 57 | Part 58 | Part 59 | Part 60 | Part 61 | Part 62 | Part 63 | Part 64 | Part 65 | Part 66 | Part 67 | Part 68 | Part 69 | Part 70 | Part 71 | Part 72 | Part 73 | Part 74 | Part 75 | Part 76 | Part 77 | Part 78 | Part 79 | Part 80 | Part 81 | Part 82 | Part 83 | Part 84 | Part 85 | Part 86 | Part 87 | Part 88 | Part 89 | Part 90 | Part 91 | Part 92 | Part 93 | Part 94 | Part 95 | Part 96 | Part 97 | Part 98 | Part 99 | Part 100 | Part 101 | Part 102 | Part 103 | Part 104 | Part 105 | Part 106 | Part 107 | Part 108


The continued prosperity of the church, the large accessions to its mem- bers, the necessity of a more commodions and convenient place of worship, induced the members of the church and some others, early in 1818, to take measures to supply this great want. The first public meeting for the purpose was held February 19, 1818, when Winslow Ames was chosen moderator and Noah Litchfield, clerk. At a subsequent meeting, William Garcelon, Jr, was chosen clerk and treasurer, and David Pettengill, Thomas Hodgkin, and Joseph Dill were chosen a committee "to look out a place to set a meeting-


359


CITY OF LEWISTON.


house," who reported at a meeting held March 7, that the "southerly corner of James Mitchell's land " would be a desirable location. The society bought one-half acre of land at this place, it being valued at $8. The building committee, William Garcelon, Jr, Jacob Golder, and Thomas Hodgkin, carried forward the work with energy and success, for we find that the proprietors "met at the meeting-house frame, Monday, June 22, 1818." The meeting-house was finished in November, 1818, and the pews, 86 in number-56 in the body of the house, and 30 in the gallery -were prized at $2,200, and sold at auction for choice, by Winslow Ames, November 28, 1818. The house was 41x45 feet and cost $2,260, and was dedicated December 1, 1818, Rev. Henry Kendall, of Topsham, preaching the sermon.


Among the proprietors of the "Old South Church" were a number of Universalists, who, in 1821, under the direction of Mr Ezra Randall, formerly a deacon of the church, demanded their proportionate part of the time. To this end they petitioned the prudential committee, saying they "believed in an impartial Allmity," whom they desired to worship. Their request was promptly granted. In 1826 Rev. Mr Frost, of Lisbon, was engaged to preach for the society, and finally a contract was made to settle him as pastor, after which he informed the society that he was a Universalist. He had secured a majority of the proprietors as a Baptist, but in his new rĂ´le he was less successful. He was immediately dismissed. Rev. James Garcelon, Jr, was ordained in 1841, and soon after became pastor of the church, a relation which he sustained until the church became extinct, about 1847.


The "Old South Meeting-house " besides its use as a church was occupied for various public purposes, and for a number of years, until Jones's Hall was completed (1850) as a town-house. But after the organization of the First Baptist church in 1847, which included some of the members of the "Old South," which for more than fifty years had been vigorous and had enjoyed so large a share of prosperity, it became extinct and its members were mostly absorbed by the First Baptist. The church, not being occupied for religious purposes, and nearly all of the original proprietors having died or become interested in other places of worship, was sold in 1852, by order of the Supreme Court, for $250, to Samuel Litchfield and J. L. Cutter. It was taken down and removed to the "Falls," where it was rebuilt. It is situated nearly opposite the lower Maine Central depot. Five members of the Old South Church became ministers, viz., James Garcelon, Benjamin Cole, Joseph Roberts, Jacob Golder, and James Garcelon, Jr.


The Free Baptist Church. - During his missionary tour in the autumn of 1783, Rev. Benjamin Randall, of New Durham, N. H., the founder of the Free Baptist denomination, visited Lewiston, where he preached and baptized for the first time, but did not organize a church. It was his custom to receive all who desired to become members into his church at New Durham. But a


360


HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.


membership so widely scattered was not easily controlled, and he soon found some of his Lewiston members expressing dissatisfaction with some of the doc- trines he had so zealously advocated. Notwithstanding, however, the defection of some of the members, the number of adherents steadily increased, and it was deemed expedient to organize a church in Lewiston, which was done Septem- ber 10, 1803, the usual services being conducted by Rev. Ephraim Stinchfield, of New Gloucester, who had preached in Lewiston as early as 1796. But little can be gleaned of the history of this church, which maintained its exist- ence, however, with more or less prosperity until 1817. It is not probable that the church ever had a settled pastor, but was supplied with preaching by clergymen who visited the place, and, undoubtedly, for much of the time by Rev. Benjamin Thorne, who was a member of the church. In 1817 there was an extensive revival under the labors of Rev. Josiah Farwell, and a church organized December 3, 1817, at the Herrick school-house, which embraced quite a number of the members of the First Church, and which finally sup- planted it. The church as originally formed comprised twenty members, viz. : Rev. Benjamin Thorne, John Mooar, Oliver Herrick, Luther Litchfield, Wade Litchfield, Hannah Thorne, Elizabeth Graffam, Alice Thorne, Abigail Thorne, Mary Thorne, Hannah Thorne, 2d, Hannah Cutler, Martha Mooar, Sally Wright, Ruth Cole, Rhoda Litchfield, Lucy Lander, Susan Paul, Charlotte Pettengill, and Cyntha Cutler. At the organization of the church Oliver Herrick was chosen clerk, a position he held for many years. Jonathan Nash and Luther Litchfield were chosen deacons, August 6, 1818, and on the 19th of November of the same year " Elder Benjamin Thorne was received as the pastor and teacher agreeable to the New Testament Order," a relation which he long held. Soon after the church was organized and in connection with the labors of Rev. Mr Farwell, measures were taken to construct a house of worship. Active operations were commenced in 1818, but the house was not completed and dedicated until December, 1820. It was located on Main street on the north side of Mountain avenue, on the lot now occupied by the residence of Mr Fred H. White, where it remained until October 2, 1838, when it was removed to the corner of Main and Chapel streets- Haymarket Square-and occupied by the Main Street Free Baptists until February, 1856. The church had a nominal existence until about 1840, when only some eight persons retained their connection with it.


The Friends Society .- The history of the denomination called the Friends is, involved in much obscurity. Amos Davis was, undoubtedly, the first person of that persuasion in Lewiston. He was a very worthy and exemplary man, and took a great interest in the prosperity and usefulness of the society. Davis was the first elder and continued until his death, March 20, 1815. This office was then filled by his son, David, who died January 5, 1851. Levi Meader succeeded Mr Davis. Mr Meader died April 2, 1872. Mr Amos Davis fitted up a small


361


CITY OF LEWISTON.


building in the old burying-ground on Sabatis street for a meeting and school, which was occupied for several years. The Friends built the first meeting-house in town, completed in 1811. It was situated on the Vining farm on the old Lisbon road, where it remained until 1856, when it was taken down and removed to what is known as the Isaac Goddard farm, on the river road. For many years the town held its meetings in this house. There are now but few representatives in the society of the families who were onee its chief supporters. It became small and feeble, and its place of worship was transferred to the city proper, where several families of Friends had settled. The old meeting- house was sold in 1875, taken down and removed to the city. They then held meetings in the Y. M. C. A. room until the completion of their house of worship on College street. This is a wooden structure 34x 52 feet, and has a seating capacity of about 250, and cost about $3,500. 3 The first service was held August 1, 1875. The ministers of the society at this meeting were Rev. Charles Varney, Freeman Andrews, David Douglass, William Jacob, Cyrus Cartland, George Douglass, Caleb Nichols. Mr David Douglass made remarks and offered prayer, after which Mr Jacob gave a brief account of the rise of the society. In the afternoon Mr David Douglass delivered a sermon. Its pastors have been Charles Varney, Stephen Cartland, Freeman Andrews, George S. Williams, and the present pastor, George H. Farr.


The South Lewiston Church ( Clough ) Free Baptists. - This church, consist- ing of 26 members, was organized July 26, 1826, Rev. Messrs Ward, Lock, and Abiezer Bridges taking part in the services. The sermon was by Rev. Mr Lock. The original members were: Noah Litchfield, Martha Litchfield, Amos Davis, Jr, Mariah Davis, Barzilla Rand, Thankful Rand, John Pettengill, Mary Pettengill, Aaron Davis, Jr, Samuel Mooer, Elizabeth Mooer, Joseph Webber, Joseph Jordan, Samuel Litchfield, Ames Litchfield, Mabel Williams, Mehitable Crowley, Jerusha Davis, Deborah Davis, Anna Davis, Sarah Ben- nett, Nabby R. Sleeper, Mary Lake, Sarah Hamilton, Lucy Gillpatrick, Anna Mitehell. The church held its meetings in Aaron Davis's barn, at the Clough school-house, and at various private residences in the vicinity, until 1846, when the present meeting-house was completed. The church has had no settled minister for many years, but has maintained worship for the greater part of the time, having its pulpit supplied by students from Cobb Divinity School.


Free. Baptists ( Main Street ) .- April, 1838, a series of meetings were held at the North Meeting-house and conducted by Rev. Messrs Isaac Libby, Gideon Perkins, Benjamin Thorne, and E. Phinney. An interesting revival ensued, and nearly 100 conversions were reported. As an immediate result of these meet- ings 36 were baptized May 20, 1838; 21 by Rev. Isaac Libby and 15 by Rev. Silas Curtis, and on May 28, 1838, a church was organized with these members: Ai Brooks, Isaac Barton, Josiah Blaisdell, James B. Cotton, John Curtis, William R. Frye, Stephen Field, Joseph Chamberlain, Amos Hersey, John B.


362


HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.


Jones, John C. Jepson, Norris Litehfield, Harrison G. Otis, Eben H. Sleeper, Orin Sprague, Temple Tebbets, David Traey, Thomas Thorne, Jeremiah Skinner, Joseph Winslow, Jane Brooks, Bathsheba Curtis, Christiana Caswell, Olive Chamberlain, Ann Dill, Joan Garcelon, Ann Hearsy, Mary Jane Hearsy, Lucinda Litchfield, Susan Merrill, Sarah Ann Nash, Joan Nash, Ann Pettengill, Julia Roberts, Sally Staten, Lucretia W. Tracy, Mary Ann Thompson, Laura C. Thorne, Sarah H. Tebbets, May Ann Webber, Mary Winslow, and Lydia Waterhouse. Rev. Messrs Benjamin Thorne, Isaac Libby, and Silas Curtis took part in the organization. Additions were continually made to the church, and during May and June 52 were baptized and became members. The interest of the new church induced (October 2, 1838,) the change of the meeting-house from its original location to the corner of Main and Chapel streets where it now stands, the old building oeeupied by O. S. Ham. Here the church worshiped until February, 1856. Several years before this the church and society began to agitate the question of the erection of a new house of worship. The plan finally adopted was somewhat novel for this place. A stock company was incorporated with a capital of $10,000, consisting of 100 shares, and the work was eommeneed in 1854. The house, corner of Main and Bates streets, was completed in the winter of 1855-6, and dedicated February 14, 1856. Rev. Martin J. Steere, one of the most brilliant speakers of the denomination, preached the dedicatory sermon. In the evening Rev. James Drummond, of Auburn, delivered a very able sermon to a large andienee. The house is a substantial brick structure and cost about $20,000.


Rev. Isaae Libby, the first pastor, was born in Buxton, February 22, 1809. He was licensed to preach in the fall of 1836. In April, 1837, he came to Lewiston and preached the greater part of the year to the First Free Baptist church. Mr Libby was ordained by a council from the Gorham Quarterly Meeting in April, 1838, and became pastor of this church June 14, 1838, and resigned February 25, 1841. Mr Libby was pastor at Brunswick, and subsequently at Cape Elizabeth. In July, 1843, he returned to Lewiston and assumed this pastorate for two years. In 1846 he became pastor of the Free Baptist church at Farmington Hill. He subsequently returned to Lewiston and resided for several years. He died in Auburn, October 18, 1866. He was a sound and effective preacher, and under his ministration prosperity was experienced. In manner he was dignified and grave, having but few of those qualities which captivate and charm the average audience. Rev. Daniel Jackson, a native of Madison, N. H., became pastor in November, 1841, and resigned in December, 1842. He was ordained at East Ossipee, N. H., September 14, 1826, where he was pastor for five years ; at Wheelock, Vt, for two years; he preached also in other states. He has recently deceased. He is remembered as a very genial man, prepossessing in manner, and an interesting and instructive preacher. Rev. George W. Bean became pastor in 1845, and


363


CITY OF LEWISTON.


resigned in 1848. He came from Farmington and after the close of his ministry here became pastor of the Free Baptist church at West Waterville, now Oakland.


Rev. Joseph S. Burgess, the fourth pastor, was born in Williamsburg, Mass., August 15, 1814. He was a teacher eight years, then commenced the study of law, but becoming interested in religion he entered Whitestown Seminary, then under the direction of Rev. John Fullonton, D.D., and commenced study for the ministry. He accomplished the two years' course in one. In June, 1846, he became pastor of the Free Baptist church at West Waterville, and remained for two years. Mr Burgess became pastor of the Main Street Free Baptist church, September 18, 1848, and continued 12 years. The church was small - only 60 came to greet him the first Sabbath -and had little financial ability. At the close of his pastorate it had become one of the largest and strongest of the denomination in Maine. It was during his ministry that the church edifice, corner of Main and Bates streets, was built. Mr Burgess's next pastorates were at Haverhill, Mass., for two years; Bangor, three years; and at Harrisburg, Penn., three years. In 1868, at the unanimous request of the friends of the new Pine Street Free Baptist church, he severed his connection at Harrisburg, and accepted its pastorate. Mr Burgess labored here with zeal and success until December 31, 1868. Nineteen years of pastoral work in these two churches had so identified him with the interests of the place and people that his removal caused many expressions of regret. Mr Burgess was corresponding secretary of the Home Mission Society, and passed nearly three years in assisting needy churches in Maine, Vermont, and Massachusetts, and for five years supplied churches of different denominations in Connecticut. He was a man of the people, and had a strong hold upon their affection and esteem. He was unassuming and without ostentation, ever hopeful and kind- hearted. He died at Waterbury, Conn., February 28, 1888, and was buried in Lewiston. Mr John A. Lowell, a teacher in the Maine State Seminary, supplied the pulpit as early as October, 1860, and in March, 1861, the church applied for his ordination, which occurred in June. He closed his labors in 1869. Rev. W. H. Bowen, of Providence, R. I., commenced his pastoral work June 6, 1869, and resigned in 1882. Rev. O. D. Patch was pastor from 1882 until 1884. Rev. Carter E. Cate was here as pastor from 1884 to 1888, when he was succeeded, October 11, by Rev. Martyn Summerbell, D.D.


Park Street Methodist Church. - There were but few Methodists in this community previous to the year 1845, and no attempt to organize a church. For nearly fifty years an occasional minister of the conference would visit the place, preach a sermon, and then go on his missionary tour, never, perhaps, to return. But in July, 1845, Rev. John Allen (Camp-meeting John) was appointed to the Little Androscoggin Mission, which embraced what was then called Lewiston Falls. In the two villages, Lewiston and Auburn, he spent


364


HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.


nearly one-fourth of his time preaching in the school-houses on both sides of the river. In 1846 Mr Allen was re-appointed, and continued his labors in the same manner as the previous year. In July, 1847, Rev. William Summersides was appointed to the East Poland eireuit, Lewiston being included within its limits. He preached here one-quarter of the time for a part of the year. Mr Summersides was returned to this circuit by the conference in 1848, but spent only one or two Sabbaths at the " Falls." At the session of the conference in July, 1849, Rev. Charles Andrews was appointed to the Lewiston Falls Mission, which was limited to Lewiston and Auburn. Mr Andrews commenced his labors immediately, and the Methodists here had for the first time a settled pastor. At this time it is very difficult to ascertain just how many Methodists there were in the two villages, but the following list is believed to be nearly complete : W. L. Davis, John Oakes, Ruth Oakes, Stephen Blethen, Charles Oliver, Mary Herrick, Sarah M. Cobb, L. J. R. Crocker, Hannah Crocker, Samuel Springer, Sarah N. Springer, Ami Read, Margaret Read, Lurania Jordan, Mrs Daniel Wood, Charles D. Thomas, Jacob P. Smith, Ruby B. Addi- ton, Winslow Kyle, Amos Bailey, Rachel Davis, Jemima Nevins, - Strout, Isaac Yetten, Anna Davis, Thomas J. Foss, Eliza Mitchell, Harriet D. Strout, William Staples, Harriet L. Yetten, Charles W. Kyle, Nathaniel French, Elizabeth French, Mrs Charles W. Kyle.


It is possible that some others might have been connected with these two " classes," one on each side of the river, at the time Mr Andrews came here. In the summer and autumn of 1849, Mr Andrews preached in the school-houses in Lewiston and Auburn, but usually in the school-house in Lewiston. It was an old, dilapidated, brick building, located near the Main Street Free Baptist church, which they were compelled to abandon as cold weather approached. In the winter of 1849-50 they occupied Village Hall in Auburn; and subse- quently the church worshiped in Union Hall, Auburn. Salaries in those days were not large, and Mr Andrews's salary, as fixed by the board, was $175. He was re-appointed in 1850. In 1851 Rev. Ezekiel Robinson was appointed to the charge, with a salary of $350. It was during his pastorate that the place of worship was changed from Auburn to Jones's Hall in Lewiston. This hall, the first in Lewiston, had just been completed and occupied the upper story of what is now the lower Maine Central station. Here the church worshiped for several years. Mr Robinson was re-appointed in 1852. In 1853 the conference sent Rev. Benjamin Foster to Lewiston. Mr Foster was earnest and zealous in advocating the erection of a house of worship. Through his influence, and largely under his direction, a lot was procured on Park street and their present church edifice, a substantial wooden building, containing a basement, which is used for a vestry, was erected and dedicated September 9, 1854. Mr Foster was pastor for two years. Rev. H. M. Blake was appointed by the conference as pastor in 1855, and served two years. The church became


365


CITY OF LEWISTON.


self-supporting under his pastorate. Rev. H. B. Abbott was pastor of the church for two years, commencing in the spring of 1857. In May, Rev. Charles Munger became pastor for two years. It was during this time, April 1, 1861, that the church was divided and the Methodist church in Auburn organized, the river being recognized as the "dividing line." This depletion did not seriously embarrass the Park street church. Rev. J. MeMillan was pastor during the years 1861-62. In 1863 Rev. D. B. Randall became pastor. He was re-appointed in 1864. The conference appointed Rev. H. B. Abbott pastor in 1865. Mr Abbott remained for three years. In 1868 Rev. Ezekiel Martin was then pastor for two years. Rev. Cyrus King became pastor in 1870; remained one year. He left the conference and removed to the West. Rev. Charles J. Clark was appointed in 1871, and occupied the pulpit for three years. He was followed by Rev. Horace W. Bolton for three years; Rev. Roscoc L. Greene, three years; Rev. Israel Luce, three years; Rev. Fred C. Rogers, three years; Rev. Wilber F. Berry, two years; Rev. W. S. McIntire, three years. The present pastor, Rev. E. O. Thayer, was appointed in May, 1891.


The following is the neerology of the pastors of this church: Rev. James McMillan, born in Bartlett, N. H., August 3, 1806, and died in Gorham, Septem- ber 15, 1874. Rev. Howard B. Abbott, born in Sidney, September 14, 1810; graduated at Bowdoin College in the class of 1836, and died February 2, 1876. Rev. Ezekiel Robinson, born in Norway in 1799. He entered the New England Conference in 1823, and for 50 years was an active minister. He died September 2, 1878. Rev. Charles Andrews was born in Berwick, October 23, 1811; died at Old Orchard in the eighties. Rev. Charles J. Clark was born in Portland, April 4, 1839, and died in New York, May 6, 1889. Rev. H. M. Blake died on his way to church, Sunday morning, January 15, 1865, aged 57 years. At the time he was pastor of the Pine Street Church at Portland. Rev. Ezekiel Martin was born in Hebron, March 19, 1820, and died at Lewiston, February 3, 1889.


The First Baptist ( Bates Street) .- Early in the spring of 1847, Mr Daniel H. Wiggin, an earnest Baptist, who came from Greene the year before, took measures to ascertain the number of Baptists in Lewiston and Auburn who were desirous of organizing a church at the "Falls." The immediate result of this effort was a preliminary meeting which was held April 1, 1847, at the house of Mr Edward Cobb, now Dr Small's, on Park street. Mr Cobb was chosen moderator and clerk. Six persons were present at this meeting who "resolved themselves into a committee of vigilance to ascertain the names and number of Baptists in the community, and report at the next meeting." The report of the " vigilance committee," made on the 8th of April, showed 41 persons who were desirous of being organized into a church. Nineteen were present at this meeting and a committee of three was appointed to "ascertain where a place of worship can be obtained." At their


366


HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.


next meeting, April 22, measures were taken to organize a church. The clerk was authorized to notify the " churches most convenient " to send delegates for the purpose of recognition, and Auburn, Danville, Durham, Greene, New Gloucester, and Topsham, responded to the call. The council met at the Free Baptist church (the building now occupied as a grain store on Haymarket Square) June 3, 1847, and organized by choosing Deacon O. C. Grose, of New Gloucester, moderator, and Deacon E. Barrell, of Greene, scribe. The proceedings of the council were as follows: Reading the records of the preliminary meetings, by Rev. George Knox; invocation, by Rev. J. Hutch- inson, of Auburn ; reading of the scriptures, by Rev. George Knox, of Cornish ; introductory prayer, by Rev. James Drummond, Congregationalist, Auburn ; sermon, by Rev. Joseph Kilpatrick, of Topsham; reading articles of faith, by Rev. Moses Hanscom, of Durham; right-hand of fellowship, by Rev. Samuel Owen, of Durham; address, by Rev. C. W. Reading, of Massachusetts; prayer, by Rev. P. Pillsbury, of Greene ; concluding prayer and benediction, by Rev. George W. Bean, Free Baptist, Lewiston.


The church consisted of 25 members, viz .: Daniel H. Wiggin, Joel Morse, Calvin S. Titcomb, Stephen Davis, Simon Marston, Timothy Wright, William R. Wright, Israel Glidden, Jacob Golder, Charles Wiggin, Levi Wiggin, Betsey Wiggin, Sarah Morse, Hannah McKenney, Mary Marston, Jane W. Miller, Ann M. Wiggin, Emeline Wiggin, Mary Titcomb, Abigail Kimball, Mary Mitchell, Eliza Field, Betsey Jepson, Betsey Wright, and Lucy Chamberlain. Of these the venerable Deacon Stephen Davis, now in his ninetieth year, is the only one living.


On the 5th of June William R. Wright was chosen clerk, and on the 12th of August Daniel H. Wiggin was chosen deacon, both for one year. Soon after Deacon Wiggin canvassed the three towns, Lewiston, Danville, and Auburn, Rev. George Knox, of Cornish, Me, visited the "Falls " and preached in the school-houses of Lewiston and Auburn. Mr. Knox spent May 16th, 23d, and 30th preaching in these places but did not become pastor of the church until the first Sabbath in August and then under the auspices of the Maine Baptist Missionary Society. He remained the pastor until January, 1860, nearly 13 years. Immediately after the organization, meetings were commenced in the old brick school-house near Lowell's Corner, but owing to its dilapidated condition they were obliged, on the approach of cold weather, to move to the Auburn side of the river into the Rechabite Hall. This was a very small hall, only about 22 x 40 feet and occupied the second story of the building. The lower story was occupied as a confectionery and "grog shop." The hall was found to be too close for warm weather and the society moved into the school-house on Turner street, where they continued to worship, with the exception of a few Sabbaths when Mr Knox occupied Mr Drummond's pulpit, until the completion of their chapel. This was built during the summer and




Need help finding more records? Try our genealogical records directory which has more than 1 million sources to help you more easily locate the available records.