USA > Maine > Androscoggin County > History of Androscoggin County, Maine > Part 104
Note: The text from this book was generated using artificial intelligence so there may be some errors. The full pages can be found on Archive.org (link on the Part 1 page).
Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5 | Part 6 | Part 7 | Part 8 | Part 9 | Part 10 | Part 11 | Part 12 | Part 13 | Part 14 | Part 15 | Part 16 | Part 17 | Part 18 | Part 19 | Part 20 | Part 21 | Part 22 | Part 23 | Part 24 | Part 25 | Part 26 | Part 27 | Part 28 | Part 29 | Part 30 | Part 31 | Part 32 | Part 33 | Part 34 | Part 35 | Part 36 | Part 37 | Part 38 | Part 39 | Part 40 | Part 41 | Part 42 | Part 43 | Part 44 | Part 45 | Part 46 | Part 47 | Part 48 | Part 49 | Part 50 | Part 51 | Part 52 | Part 53 | Part 54 | Part 55 | Part 56 | Part 57 | Part 58 | Part 59 | Part 60 | Part 61 | Part 62 | Part 63 | Part 64 | Part 65 | Part 66 | Part 67 | Part 68 | Part 69 | Part 70 | Part 71 | Part 72 | Part 73 | Part 74 | Part 75 | Part 76 | Part 77 | Part 78 | Part 79 | Part 80 | Part 81 | Part 82 | Part 83 | Part 84 | Part 85 | Part 86 | Part 87 | Part 88 | Part 89 | Part 90 | Part 91 | Part 92 | Part 93 | Part 94 | Part 95 | Part 96 | Part 97 | Part 98 | Part 99 | Part 100 | Part 101 | Part 102 | Part 103 | Part 104 | Part 105 | Part 106 | Part 107 | Part 108
Among the petitions for lands in compensation for services in the French and Indian wars, made to the General Court of Massachusetts, was one from
843
TOWN OF LIVERMORE.
Nathaniel Harris and others. To these petitioners was granted township No. 2, "on the east side and next adjoining Connecticut River," for services in reducing Port Royal. The proprietors held their first meeting at the house of Isaac Baldwin, innholder in Weston, January 28, 1737. They were : -
Nathaniel Harris, Esq., Capt. Samuel Googen, Capt. Benj. Flagg, Capt. Ebenezer Woodward. Capt. Ebenezer Learnard, Capt. John Hazzeltine, Thomas Gibbs, Jonas Ward, Ebenezer Whipple, Ensign Thomas Harrington, Lieut. Samuel Lyon, William Cheaney, James Colburn, Ebenezer Lyon, Dea. Thomas Marshall, Lt Jerijah Wales, John Sawin, Ephraim Sautle (Sawtelle), Isaac Parker, Jonathan Gates, John Stearns, Jonathan Wel- lington, Nath'i Davis, Eliphalet Lyon, Wd. Hannah Babcock, Josiah Santle, Nath'l Whitmore, Ebenezer Hartshorn, John Harwood, Rev. John Whiting, Daniel Googen, Esq., Rev. Warham Williams, Thomas Marshall, Ebenezer Hubbard, William Chubb, John Maddock, Ensign Joseph Fuller. Samuel Smith, Peter Lyon, Benjamin Munroe, Jona. Ball, Nath'l Dike, Bemus Woodward, Dea. Ebenezer Goodhue, Benjamin Wood, William Robin- son, Benjamin Corey, John Cager, Nathan Whipple, Israel Reese, Peter Hunt, John Ramsey, Benjamin Chadwick, David Knap, Benjamin Aldridge, William Puffer.
Previous to 1779, a large number of rights or shares came to Deacon Elijah Livermore by purchase at tax sales and from individual proprietors. 1743, November 1, a proprietors' meeting was adjourned to May, 1744, on account of the "rumor of war with France, and the winter season approaching." 1750, September 26, a meeting was held. 1770, May 23, the question was put "to know the minds of the proprietors if they would pursue their claim on the equity of Port Royal, and carried," and Major Livermore, Dr Leonard Williams, and George Babcock were chosen to petition the General Court to obtain another grant, as the old one had "fell into New Hampshire." 1771, June 11, "to the original grantees, their assigns or legal representatives, their heirs and assigns," was granted "a township of the contents of six and three- quarter square miles in some of the unappropriated lands in the Province of Massachusetts Bay to the eastward of Saco river and adjoining some former grant, on the condition that the proprietors settle 60 families in said town in seven years, build a house for the public worship of God, settle a learned Protestant minister, and lay out one sixty-fourth part for the first settled minister, one sixty-fourth part for the ministry, one sixty-fourth part for the use of schools, and one sixty-fourth part for the use of Harvard College."
1771, August 9, Samuel Livermore and Leonard Williams, for the proprie- tors, directed Elijah Livermore and Elisha Harrington to explore the country and select the location ; they " to take a boat and pilot at Brunswick Falls and proceed up the river as far as Rocky-Mico." The grant was located adjoining Sylvester (Turner), on both sides of the Androscoggin, and at first contained 30,220 acres. 1772, June 17, at the house of Samuel Livermore in Waltham, Lieut Elijah Livermore, Capt. Ebenezer Learned, and Mr Richard Woodward were chosen to run out the lines around the township and divide the interval
844
HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.
on the west side of the river into 61 shares, and lay out 61 100-acre lots. They took Ebenezer Waters as surveyor and Thomas Fish with them, and laid out lots in September and October, and made their report November 11. They did not divide the interval, as it was not extensive enough. They had run out the boundaries and laid out 60 lots, and reported " not enough land to fill the grant," and a committee was appointed to petition for a further grant. The proprietors then voted to open a horse-way to Sylvester town and a cart-way to Pondtown (Winthrop). 1773, February 24, voted to make the former a cart-way, and Elijah Livermore, Ebenezer Learned, and Thomas Fish were appointed to have the above roads cleared by the last of October. November 3 Samuel Livermore was reported dead, and that Nathaniel Livermore had resigned his membership. Leonard Williams, Esq., Deacon (Lieut) Elijah Livermore, and Mr Elisha Harrington were chosen to " manage the prudentials of said proprietary." The accounts of Deacon Livermore, £40 10s. 11d., and Thomas Fish, £31 2s. 7d., for clearing roads, were allowed. Thomas Fish was appointed to prosecute trespassers, and a committee was appointed to lay out the remainder of the town. 1774. June 29, Leonard Williams, Elijah Liver- more, and Elisha Harrington were made a committee to erect a saw and grist mill. On account of the breaking out of the war with Great Britain no meeting was held from 1774 until 1779.
In 1779 Deacon Livermore and Major Thomas Fish came as residents, and were soon joined by Josiah Wyer, Elisha Smith, and Mrs Carver. For the first year apprehension was felt of attacks from the Indians, but these soon became friends. Major Fish1 was the representative of one of the grantees of Township No. 2 on the Connecticut. 1782, June 19, the mill lot, the island near it, and £60 were granted to build a mill on the brook leading from Liver- more (Long) and Stinchfield (Round) ponds, and Elijah Livermore agreed to build it. 1793, September 4, voted to build a meeting-house 50 x 40 feet on the east end of lot 36, first division, and £50 granted therefor; also to lay out a road from Turner to Phipps Canada from Deacon True's over Lowell's hill and between the ponds to the north line. (The proprietors' records continue until June 20, 1799.)
1 Major Thomas Fish, an officer of the Revolution, a gallant soldier, and a holder of an original right, came with Deacon Livermore in 1779, settling at Fish Meadow. His wife, Naomi Mixer, died while he was arranging to bring her here. He later became quite friendly with Winthrop people and was engaged to be married to one of the bright young women of that town, Betsey Marrow. The only road to Winthrop was a blind track of spotted trees winding through the dense forest. January 3, 1782, he started from Winthrop late in the afternoon with two large rolls of leather. The snow was two feet deep and the weather cold; a heavy storm set in and he never reached his destination, perishing near a large elmi on the interval below Deacon Livermore's house. He was an accomplished surveyor, an ingenious man, who could do anything demanded in the new country, and was a great loss to the settlement. His journal while en route to Livermore and surveyor's minutes are given in full in " Notes on Livermore."
845
TOWN OF LIVERMORE.
The Established Settlers in 1789 were Deacon Elijah Livermore, William Carver, Elisha Smith, Samuel Benjamin, John Walker, Josiah Wyer, James Delano, Reuben Wing, John Monk, Otis Robinson, Cutting Clark, E. Fisher, Pelatiah Gibbs, Daniel Holman, Henry Grevy, Nathaniel Dailey, and - Randall. Deacon Elijah Livermore was son of Samuel Livermore, and was born at Waltham, Mass., in March, 1730. He inherited his father's home- stead; was a lieutenant in the militia, and was deacon of the Congregationalist church in Waltham. He removed to Livermore in 1779, where he died, August 5, 1808. He was the first representative, unanimously elected May 9, 1779, and tradition says he made the journey to Boston on horseback, wearing a cocked hat, ruffled shirt, and knee breeches. He possessed great strength of character, and was an able counselor. He happily combined good sense, integrity, and kindness with a most genial humor, and when he died he was mourned by the whole settlement as a personal friend. His children were: Abigail, married Rev. Elisha Williams, the first schoolmaster. William, traded in Jay and Hallowell and was a major in militia. Hannah; Isaac, born 1768, died 1820, after being in trade in Hallowell, settled here as a farmer; was justice of the peace. Sarah, m. Robert Pierpont, of Roxbury. He lived on the old Livermore farm, and died December 9, 1811. Their children were: Hannah; Robert, a resident of Livermore; George W., a resident of Livermore Falls; Elijah ; Charles Henry; John M. Anna, born April 6, 1775, married, December 14, 1797, Dr Cyrus Hamlin. Samuel, born April 6, 1778, married Lura, daughter of Thomas Chase. He died November 26, 1823. He several times represented the town in the Massachusetts legislature. Ilis children were Betsey, Emery, Lura (married Levi B. Young, of Livermore). Amos Livermore came from Waltham in 1795, located on the Spencer Goding farm. William, JJames, Amos, and Nathan Carver came with their mother from Dux- bury. William settled in 1780 on the lot afterwards occupied by George, a son
of John Gibbs. Josiah Wyer, the third settler, was born in Watertown in 1749 and moved to Livermore in 1779, married Rebecca Brackett, of Falmouth, in 1782, died July 7, 1827. He was a sergeant in the Revolution, and in the battle at Bunker Hill. Mr Wyer resided on the road leading towards North Turner bridge from the old Methodist meeting-house. His children were : Nancy, born October 1, 1786 (she was the first female child born in the town); Isaac; William, married Lucy Baker, was a soldier of 1812, and his son, Otis, was a soldier of the Rebellion; Betsey ; Sally ; Nathaniel ; Rebekah; George ; Charles.
Lieut Samuel Benjamin, the fourth settler, was an able man who received half-pay during life by special act of Congress for distinguished and long- continued service in the Revolution, married Tabitha Livermore in Waltham, January 16, 1782, and October 10, 1782, purchased of Deacon Livermore 120 acres west of Long pond for £30, and made his home in the log cabin built by
846
HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.
Major Thomas Fish at Fish Meadow. In 1796 he bought the "Gibbs Mills" property, in 1797 and 1799 lot 11. He established " Benjamin's Ferry," was frequently in town office, selectman from 1801 to 1805, and a valuable settler. He died April 14, 1824, and his widow died, aged 80, June 20, 1837. Children : Billy, who became colonel of militia, m. Phebe Wellington, and lived on the interval. Samuel. Nathaniel. Betsey, married Samuel Morison. Polly, m. Samuel Ames. Martha, m. Israel Washburn, March 30, 1812; died May 6, 1861. David, m. Catherine Stanwood, and resided on the "old Benjamin farm," and lived nearly fourscore and ten years. Hon. D. W. Benjamin, of Grand Rapids, Mich., is their son. Charles, was a cabinet maker on the interval. Elisha. Ruth, m. Jonathan Lovejoy; their son, Samuel B. M. Lovejoy, was a lieutenant in the Civil War. Major Joseph Mills, half-brother of Lieutenant Benjamin, came in a few years, and cleared the Capt. Samuel Atwood farm. Elisha Smith came from Martha's Vineyard about 1780, and purchased and lived on the lot afterwards owned by Rev. Thomas Wyman. Reuben Wing, born 1771, was, says the Family Genealogy, 6th generation from John Wing, of Sandwich, Mass., who came from England in 1632, and son of Samuel and Hannah (Sears) Wing, who moved from Harwich, Mass., to Readfield, Me, in 1776. He came to Livermore before 1789; m. (1) Hannah, daughter of Elisha Smith; (2) Lucy Weld. He died in 1862 on the farm he had occupied over 65 years. He is said to have acquired an extensive information, especially of the Bible and religion, and was a faithful member of the Baptist church. Of his sons only Walter W. and Lewis M. attained maturity. Walter W. m. Lucy A. Wyman. They have two sons: Charles E. and George C.
(see pages 332 and 333).
Daniel Holman, son of Solomon Holman, Jr, and brother of Col Jonathan. Holman, of the Revolution, was a corporal in the Revolution, and one of the minute-men who marched to Concord, April 19, 1775. Before 1789, he emi- grated from Worcester county, and settled on and developed the Holman farm about a mile from North Livermore. His son, Abner, who afterwards occupied the farm, was a fifer in the War of 1812, and was a builder, and many buildings of his construction still stand in this region. John H. and Otis H., sons of Abner, were architects. John H. Holman studied architecture and was at St Louis at the commencement of the Rebellion, where he was among the first to take sides for the Union. He raised two companies of sharp-shooters for the 26th Missouri. He was a brave soldier, winning rapid promotion, and at the close of the war commanded a brigade. He was later military governor of Eastern North Carolina, and afterwards superintended the construction of United States buildings on the Atlantic and Pacific coasts. He died June 26, 1883. His two sons, Minard L. and John O., residents of St Louis, are promi- nent as civil engineers. Otis H. Holman settled in Brooklyn, N. Y., and became noted as an engineer. He enlisted in the 158th Regiment, N. Y. V., and died January 25, 1864, of disease contracted in service.
847
TOWN OF LIVERMORE.
Deacon Elijah Fisher was born June 17, 1758, in Norton, Mass. He married Jerusha Keene, of Taunton. He was in Livermore in 1789, and settled on a farm south of the Strickland farm. He was a soldier of the Revolution, and was a member of "Washington's Life Guard," under Capt. Caleb Gibbs. On his 17th birthday he was in the battle of Bunker Hill, and remained in the service for nearly six years. He received a pension for many years. He died in January, 1842. He was a sincere and devoted Baptist. Otis Robinson was the first blacksmith, owned mills, subsequently became a Baptist minister and left the town. James, Jabez, Zebedee, and Ebenezer Delano, brothers, were here early. Zebedee located on the "Thomas Chase " farm; James on the farm owned by David Rich in 1874, his sons, Calvin, Abel, and Leonard, settled in town ; Ebenezer lived in the west part; Jabez settled on the east side of the river, and later on the " Meadow lot." John Walker was in the expedition to Quebec in 1775. His sons were Col Dexter, Elijah, Levi, and Rufus. Cutting Clarke, from Waltham, came soon after the settlement. He lived on Fuller's hill. He was a famous hunter, and attained a great age. Daniel Dailey and sons, Nathaniel and Nezer, were early settlers. Daniel and Nathaniel settled on farms on the east side of the river. Nezer settled on the west side, below the falls, and later occupied a farm above North Turner bridge. He had a son, Warren. Deacon Pelatiah Gibbs' came from Milford, Mass., and cleared the farm where Ebenezer Hinds subsequently lived. His sons, Capt. Jacob, John, and Frank Gibbs, were valuable citizens. Henry Grery, a Hessian who had served in the British army in the Revolution, settled on a farm east of Lt Benjamin's, and passed the residue of his life there.
From 1789 to 1795, when the town was incorporated, the settlement increased rapidly by intelligent and valuable settlers. Among them were:
Gen. David Learned. Hle came from Oxford, Mass., before 1790. He was a son of Gen. Ebenezer Learned, a Revolutionary officer, and one of the original proprietors of Port Royal. He became a prominent citizen, had the first store in town, which was immediately south of the Norlands church, and near where Capt. Otis Pray afterwards lived. Gen. David Learned was much interested in incorporating a new county, and he was enabled to have the name Oxford given it, after his native town. He was appointed the first sheriff of Oxford county, but retained his residence in Livermore. His house, which was built about a century ago, stood at the crossing of the roads near the Library. He was an early selectman and representative to Massachusetts General Court. He died in 1811, aged 44. His widow, Mary (Hurd) Learned, died January 14, 1863, in her 95th year. Their children were: Maria who married Publius R. R. Pray, who came about 1810. He afterwards studied law in New York, and settled in Pearlington, Miss., where he became an eminent jurist. He was one of the Judges of the High Court of Errors and Appeals, and published the Revised Statutes of the state in 1836. He died
848
HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.
January 11, 1840. Samuel went South; Charles D. was a lawyer in Mississippi. Eliza died in Livermore, June 17, 1870. Mrs Learned's brother (William Hurd) made a farm and built a house at the head of Bartlett's pond.
Henry Bond came in June, 1790, to occupy the land and attend to the half-interest in the first saw and grist mills, built by Deacon Livermore, which he had bought. His father was Col William Bond, of Watertown, a com- mander in the battle of Bunker Hill, who died in 1776. Henry Bond became deacon of the first church here, was the second teacher, and the first school- house was built but a short distance north of his mills. He died in March, 1796. His widow married Zebedee Rose. His son, Henry, born in Watertown, 1790, graduated at Dartmouth in 1813, became a physician first in Concord, N. H., later in Philadelphia, where he became distinguished, and died in 1859. He was author of an exhaustive historical and genealogical work on the families of Watertown, Mass.
Sylvester Norton came from Martha's Vineyard, Mass., in 1789, with sons, Ransom, James, and Zebulon. Ransom Norton lived at North Livermore, was deacon in the Baptist church, and then clergyman. He died October 25, 1834, aged 72. His sons, Jones, Jethro, and Charles, lived in the north part of the town. Jones and Jethro moved to Massachusetts. Eugene L., son of Jethro, was mayor of Charlestown, and served in the state senate. John, brother of Eugene, was a colonel in the Civil War. JJames Norton settled in the west part; he died in 1841. His sons were Moses, Ira, Tristram, and James. Zebulon lived between North Livermore and the Falls, and died in October, 1865, aged 85. He married (1st) Hannah, daughter of Deacon Pelatiah Gibbs ; (2d) Mary Merritt. Of his sons, these were living in 1874: Sylvester ; David; Herman : Sewall. The family is prominently represented in town by Sewall M. Norton, one of the leading agriculturists. Jonathan Goding, of Waltham, came in 1790, had a farm in the north part, and became a fine orchardist. Children : Peter, lived in Jay, Jonas and Spencer, farmers in Livermore, Hannah and Benjamin M. Thomas Chase, of Martha's Vineyard, with wife, Desire Luce, came in 1790. He served under Paul Jones in early life, and his intelligence and integrity made his recital of his adventures very interesting. His sons were: Thomas, Jr, who became a prominent man in town; his son, Thomas, 3d, was a lawyer and father of Mrs Elizabeth Akers Allen, the celebrated poetess (Florence Percy). Lathrop, a physician; James. Capt. Tristram Chase, his brother, settled on the westerly side of Long pond. He was a shipmaster. His son, Charles, was a trader in Dixfield. Another brother, Deacon Sarson Chase, was an early shoe-maker; his farm was on the northerly slope of Lovewell's hill. Children : Jane, Mayhew, Sarson, and Mary. Abial, John, and Ephraim Turner, of Scituate, were early comers here. Samuel Sawin, of Watertown, a Revolutionary soldier, located here about 1788. He was a fine orchardist. His brother, Abijah, settled near him. Samuel Hillman
849
TOWN OF LIVERMORE.
came in 1788. He was one of the "four partners," so called, Sylvanus Board- man, Ransom and James Norton being the others. He married Jane, sister of Ransom and James Norton, and became a Methodist preacher. He died in Monmouth, aged 80. His brother, Moses, settled on the interval, in 1817, where he died December 17, 1823. Tristram Hillman, Esq., for whom Hillman's Ferry was named, was his son. Isaac Lovewell came from Weston, Mass., before 1790. He purchased the large farm on the northerly side of the hill known as Lovewell's (or Waters's) hill, and had one of the largest orchards in town. He amassed a very considerable property by farming, loaning money, and "putting out " neat stock and sheep to "double in four years." He was a member of the Baptist church and one of its most liberal benefactors, con- tributing generously to its support while living, and leaving it a handsome bequest.
The Monroe Brothers, Abijah, John, and Abel, emigrated to Livermore from Lincoln, Mass., about 1790. Abijah Monroe kept the first inn, near Sanders Corner; the report of its excellent fare spread far and wide, and travelers would do their best to reach Monroe's before night. Rev. Paul Coffin often stopped with him. The first lawyers had their offices in this house; and here the people met to exchange news and talk over the world's happenings. He died in 1823. John Monroe became a farmer and died aged 92. Children : John, a successful school teacher, represented the town in the legislature, and resided here until his death, Allen, Abijah, Luda. Abel Monroe, born in Lincoln, Mass., May 14, 1769, died June 24, 1861. He was an intelligent man, quick at repartee, and enjoyed theological discussions. He married (1st) Martha Bixby, of Keene, N. H. Of his children, Hon. Joseph S. Monroe (dec.) was senator and judge of probate for Piscataquis county; Patty, m. Maj. Isaac Strickland; Julia m. Elias T. Aldrich; George Monroe, son of Abel and Salome P. Monroe (his second wife, born in Livermore, December 15, 1800; died April 20, 1876), was born in Livermore, January 15, 1835. He married Fannie, daughter of William and Ruth A. Bray, of North Turner, and a descendant of "Parson Strickland," the first minister in Turner. Her grand- father, Major Isaac Strickland, was well known as a public-spirited man. He accumulated a large property, and died March 4, 1886, aged 89 years. Mr Monroe is a carriage manufacturer and a blacksmith, and makes a specialty of horse-shoeing. In 1859 he went to California and remained 15 years, engaged in mining and blacksmithing. During this time he visited his old home five times. In 1886 he was tax collector and constable. He is a Republican politically, and a Universalist.
Thomas Coolidge came from Cambridge in 1790, settled in the west part, developed a large farm with an excellent orchard to a high state of cultivation, married Lucy Wyeth, and died in 1834, aged 80. His widow died in 1850, aged nearly 97. Among their children were Daniel, a successful and wealthy
850
HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.
farmer, and a captain of cavalry. Elisha, who accumulated wealth as a trader at Solon. Thomas, who was a successful fruit grower, and resided near the Norlands, m. Phebe Paul. Children: William, lives at Canton, aged 87, Rhoda, Joel, George, Edmund, Albion, Augustus W. Augustus W. Coolidge went to Boston when 18, and acquired a practical knowledge of business. Returning to North Livermore, he clerked for his brother, William (who had traded here a long time), and September 1, 1854, commenced business for himself, and was in trade until his death, August 28, 1889. He was a large man of good presence, a Free Mason, and Baptist in religious inclinations. He married Julia E. Norton. Children: John F. (died September 10, 1883; his widow, Hattie L., is in trade and postmistress). Myra N. m. Ezra D. Thomp- Mrs Julia E. Coolidge and son (son of J. D.), who died June 12, 1889. daughter make their home at North Livermore. Joseph Coolidge brought his family from Waltham in June, 1790. He was a soldier of the Revolution, and located in Jay, near the north line of Livermore. William Coolidge, also of Waltham, m. in 1799 Mary, daughter of Major Jonathan Hale, of Sutton, came to Livermore, and for the nine years he was a resident was of great importance; was captain of militia, a school teacher, and a man of influence.
Ebenezer Pitts, born in Taunton, Mass., in 1757, moved to Livermore from Ward, Mass., in 1791, and located upon and occupied until his death in April, 1831, a farm near the Corner, the one subsequently occupied by his grandson, Ebenezer Pitts. His wife was Mary Ellis, of Raynham. He was a good citizen. Children : Philip ; Anna, m. James Chase; Prudence, m. David Reed, settled in Livermore. Lieut Elijah Wellington, from Lincoln, Mass., early located on the east side of the river. Children : Elijah, Nathan, Elbridge, and Phebe.
Hastings Strickland, born in Nottingham, N. II., came in 1795, was son of Rev. John Strickland. He married Sally, daughter of Rev. Samuel Perley. He had a large farm and an extensive orchard south of Monroe's tavern. Mr Strickland died, aged 61, in 1829. Children: John, was a successful farmer, and frequently a town officer; Isaac, was a wealthy and prominent man; was major of cavalry, and state senator. He died in 1886; Samuel P., was a major- general of militia, a member of the executive council, and of both branches of the legislature; Hastings, was major of cavalry, sheriff of Penobscot county, member of the executive council, and a representative from Bangor ; Lee, was born July 14, 1806, and died September 23, 1873. He was engaged in mercantile business at North Turner Bridge, then at Brettun's Mills. As a Democrat he was early a state senator, in 1853 sheriff of Oxford county, and in 1856, as a Republican, sheriff of Androscoggin county. In 1864 and 1867 he was chosen county commissioner. He was prominent in the early militia and was at first captain of cavalry, and later colonel. In 1861 he raised a company, assigned to the Eighth Maine, was its captain, and soon commissioned
Need help finding more records? Try our genealogical records directory which has more than 1 million sources to help you more easily locate the available records.