USA > Maine > Androscoggin County > History of Androscoggin County, Maine > Part 55
Note: The text from this book was generated using artificial intelligence so there may be some errors. The full pages can be found on Archive.org (link on the Part 1 page).
Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5 | Part 6 | Part 7 | Part 8 | Part 9 | Part 10 | Part 11 | Part 12 | Part 13 | Part 14 | Part 15 | Part 16 | Part 17 | Part 18 | Part 19 | Part 20 | Part 21 | Part 22 | Part 23 | Part 24 | Part 25 | Part 26 | Part 27 | Part 28 | Part 29 | Part 30 | Part 31 | Part 32 | Part 33 | Part 34 | Part 35 | Part 36 | Part 37 | Part 38 | Part 39 | Part 40 | Part 41 | Part 42 | Part 43 | Part 44 | Part 45 | Part 46 | Part 47 | Part 48 | Part 49 | Part 50 | Part 51 | Part 52 | Part 53 | Part 54 | Part 55 | Part 56 | Part 57 | Part 58 | Part 59 | Part 60 | Part 61 | Part 62 | Part 63 | Part 64 | Part 65 | Part 66 | Part 67 | Part 68 | Part 69 | Part 70 | Part 71 | Part 72 | Part 73 | Part 74 | Part 75 | Part 76 | Part 77 | Part 78 | Part 79 | Part 80 | Part 81 | Part 82 | Part 83 | Part 84 | Part 85 | Part 86 | Part 87 | Part 88 | Part 89 | Part 90 | Part 91 | Part 92 | Part 93 | Part 94 | Part 95 | Part 96 | Part 97 | Part 98 | Part 99 | Part 100 | Part 101 | Part 102 | Part 103 | Part 104 | Part 105 | Part 106 | Part 107 | Part 108
The Sunday school of the church was organized in June, 1844, with nine teachers and 40 scholars. The church records contain no mention of it save this report made at the Quarterly Meeting in Brunswick, June 9, 1849: "The broken schools in unpromising condition "-perhaps 50 scholars and ten teachers and officers. June 13, 1880, was observed as the thirty-sixth anniver- sary of its organization, and also as the centennial of Sunday schools. The attendance that day was 100, the largest in its history, and the average attendance for that year is given as 75. At the same time as the centennial was observed the second anniversary of Children's Day. A large audience attended. A Sunday school missionary society was organized in 1879.
The first meeting-house was erected in 1818, on the site of the present church edifice, during the pastorate of Joshua Randall. The land was given by Nathaniel Gerrish, and $383 was raised by subscription. The building was a roughly-finished structure, 40 x 36, with walls 12 feet in the clear, and was a free church until 1840, when extensive repairs were made, a vestibule and steeple added, and box pews (into which the members could be securely buttoned) took the place of the board seats, and they were sold to cover expenses of repairing. This was during the pastorate of Rev. Joseph Milliken, who did more than any other to preserve the history of the church. In 1859, under Rev. K. Atkinson, the house was remodeled, and more comfortable pews substituted. In 1871 the lofty gallery and pulpit were brought down to moderate elevation. In 1879 the old meeting-house was sold to Simeon Nichols, moved a short distance, and passed into the hands of Hon. Jesse Davis, who placed a story under it and changed it into Union Hall. The same year a new church was commenced on the old spot; size 54 x 34 feet, with a
453
TOWN OF LISBON.
corner tower 14x14, and recess in the rear 12x4; the cost was $2,200, exclusive of furnishing. It was dedicated March 19, 1880, as a free church and free of debt. This was under the pastorate of Rev. E. S. Stackpole, and to him should be awarded the credit of collecting and compiling the early history of the church. I have been unable to learn the dates of the early members, but among them were William Blake, Stephen Foss, Gideon Curtis, Abel Curtis, Edward Woodbury, David McFarland, Nathaniel Gerrish, Joshua Gerrish and his wife. (John Dean, who lived at Dean's Ferry, was recorded in Lisbon town records of 1812 as a member of the Methodist society in Durham.) Under the pastorate of Rev. O. S. Pilsbury, a fine church edifice was erected at Lisbon Falls, at a cost of $4,200, and dedicated October 16, 1889. The pulpit is filled by the pastor of Lisbon church.
List of Preachers. - 1803, True Glidden; 1801, Daniel Dudley; 1805, Allen H. Cobb; 1806, Eleazer Wells; 1807, David Carr; 1808, Warren Bannister, Isaac Smith; 1809, John W. Hardy, J. Spaulding, R. Hays; 1810, William Frost, Nathan B. Ashcroft; 1811, William March, Cyrus Cummings; 1812, Ebenezer Blake, John Adams; 1813, John Adams, E. W. Coffin; 1814, Philip Ayer, Bradbury Clay; 1815, R. Hays, John Paine; 1816, Ebenezer F. Newell, Caleb Fogg; 1817, Joshua Randall, J. Ambler; 1818, John Lewis, Eliezer Steele; 1819, Job Pratt, James L. Bishop; 1820, Benjamin Ayer, Elijah Spear; 1821, Benjamin Burnham, Daniel Wentworth; 1822, Benjamin Burnham; 1823, Abram Holway, William Gardner; 1824, Caleb Fogg, Aaron Sanderson; 1825, True Page, Silas Frink; 1826, True Page, James Harrington; 1827, James Weston, Caleb Fogg; 1828, Isaac W. Moore, James Smith; 1829, R. J. Ayer, Wm F. Farrington, George D. Strout; 1830, Daniel Crockett; 1831, Moses Davis; 1832, Orin Bent, William Tripp; 1833, D. Stimpson; 1834, B. Bryant; 1835, Joseph Gerry; 1836, Benjamin Burnham, T. Greenhalgh; 1837, Benjamin Burnliam, A. Fuller; 1838-9, H. L. Linscott; 1840, Joseph Milliken, 1841, Joseph Lull; 1842, Orin Bent; 1843, Dan Perry; 1844-5, Noah Hobart; 1846, Caleb Mugford; 1847, Dan Perry; 1848, David Copeland; 1849, Seth B. Chase; 1850, E. K. Colby; 1851, A. P. Sanborn; 1852-3, Asa Green; 1854, Levi Eldridge; 1855-6, Thomas Hillman; 1857-8, Kinsman Atkinson; 1859-60, Samuel W. Russell; 1861, George W. Ballon; 1862-3, Alpha Turner; 1864, Francis Grovener; 1865, William Stout; 1866-7, Isaac Lord; 1868, Thomas Hillman; 1869, W. Wyman; 1870, J. T. Walker; 1871, James H. Mason; 1872, Ezekiel Smith; 1873, Thomas J. True; 1874, Fred M. Pickles; 1875, Sylvester D. Brown; 1876-77, Aaron Sanderson; 1878, John B. Fogg; 1879-80, Everett S. Stackpole; 1881, Hezekiah Chace; 1882-83, Robert E. Bisbee; 1884, supplied by R. Sanderson and F. C. Rogers; 1885-6-7, Samuel T. Record; 1888-9-90, O. S. Pilsbury.
The Baptist Church of Lisbon Falls. 1-This church was organized July 1, 1858. In answer to a request of brethren and sisters, a council was convened of delegates from the Baptist churches of Lewiston, Bowdoinham, South Bowdoin, Topshan, and in Brunswick. The council was organized by choosing Deacon Thomas Wilson, moderator, and Philip A. Briggs, clerk. Letters were read from various churches recommending to fellowship Edsil Webber, Philip G. Frost, Jeremiah Philbrook, David F. Shea, Margaret Coombs, Bridget Coombs, Delia Huskey, Elizabeth Andrews, Mary Ham, Asenith Goodwin, Parna R. Batchelder, Margaret Ham, Eunice Frost, and Mehitable Neal. Articles of faith and practice having been read and assented to by them, it was voted that the service of recognition be held at two o'clock P.M., July 1, 1858, when this programme was carried out: Reading of
1 By John H. Dearing.
454
HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.
Scriptures, Rev. J. Hutchinson; opening prayer, Rev. John Lewis; sermon, Rev. George Knox; prayer of recognition, Rev. J. Hutchinson; hand of fellowship, Rev. Moses Hanscom; charge to the church, Rev. Moses Hanscom. After its organization this little band of 14 labored on, receiving occasional additions, and in June, 1863, numbered 22 members. They enjoyed occasional preaching till April, 1859, when Rev. L. P. Gurney became stated supply, and preached one-fourth of the time for one year. Rev. C. Ayer then preached part of the time for nine months, commencing in June, 1860. The pulpit was filled occasionally till February, 1862, when Rev. George E. Tucker became stated supply for two years. The first year one-fourth, and the second one- half of the time. Rev. W. E. Noyes preached one-half the time for one year commencing March, 1864.
The first settled pastor was Rev. S. W. Avery, who commenced his labors in June, 1865. He was a deep thinker, a wise counselor, and a sound and able preacher. He died suddenly at Lisbon Falls, December 17, 1875. During his ministry of a little over three years, 19 were added to the church. Rev. Summer Estes was pastor from May 1, 1869, to April 1, 1871. Nine were added during that time. Preaching was had through the summer principally by Mr Fish, a Newton student. October 25, 1871, George R. Read, just graduated from Newton Theological Institute, was ordained as pastor. He was much beloved by the people, a faithful pastor, and a good preacher; 22 were added during his ministry. He continued in the work till December 30, 1876, when, on account of ill health, he resigned to go to California. For nearly a year there was no settled pastor, but meetings were held regularly and preaching was had most of the time. Rev. H. M. Heywood, of Liberty, began his pastorate November 25, 1877, resigned April 20, 1879. Charles H. Salsman, a Newton student, preached through the summer. Rev. James N. Studley was pastor from October 12, 1879, to April 3, 1881. J. H. Parshley, of Colby University, preached during the summer of 1881. The pulpit was supplied until November 12, 1882, when Rev. T. G. Lyons became pastor one year. January, 1884, Rev. E. S. Fish began his work, and was pastor till his death, February 17, 1886. He was a man whom to know was to love and respect. During the last four months of his life he was not able to preach much, and Rev. W. C. Barrows filled the desk most of that time, also for a number of weeks following. E. P. Hoyt, a Newton graduate, preached twice in June, 1886, and having accepted a call, was ordained July 15, 1886, and was pastor one year when he resigned. Preaching was had every Lord's Day till October 23, 1887, when Rev. G. W. F. Hill, of St George, became pastor. During the pastorate of Mr Hill, one of the members, John L. Dearing, a graduate of Colby University and of Newton Theological Institution, was ordained as a foreign missionary in the chapel, June 25, 1889. The sermon was preached by Rev. James Mc Whinnie, D.D .; ordaining prayer, Rev. A. M. P. Small, D.D .; charge to candidate, President G. D. B. Pepper, of Colby
455
TOWN OF LISBON.
University; hand of fellowship, Rev. C. C. Tilley. The services were very impressive. Mr Dearing started on his journey in October, and arrived at Yokahama, Japan, where he is now located, November 5, 1889. Mr Hill closed his pastorate April 27, 1890. Deacon W. D. Plummer and others preached a number of times during the summer. In September Rev. F. A. Vinal commenced his pastorate.
There have been 137 members connected with the church since its organi- zation ; the membership at the present time is 54. During the pastorate of Rev. S. W. Avery, the present house of worship was built, at a cost of about $1,200. It was dedicated May 25, 1866; in the summer of 1872 a tower was built, and a bell weighing 1,000 pounds was put in; it was rung for the first time on the Fourth of July. The tower and bell cost about $500. In the spring of 1874, an addition of 18 feet was made to the chapel. The office of deacon was filled first by Jeremiah Philbrook, who was chosen September 24, 1863. He served the church faithfully for more than 22 years. Joseph H. Dearing was elected deacon, March 6, 1868. Weston D. Plummer was chosen deacon, May 6, 1886. The two last are still in office. Clerks. - William C. Hall served from July, 1858, to May, 1861 ; Jeremiah Philbrook till September, 1863, when George W. Coombs was chosen; he resigned August 6, 1870, when S. W. Avery was elected, and served till his death, December 19, 1875. Jolm L. Dearing was clerk from January 1, 1876, to March 5, 1881, when the present clerk, J. H. Dearing, was chosen. The Sabbath school compares favorably with others in town. A. J. West, H. C. White, George C. Wing, C. M. Hutchinson, J. Philbrook, J. II. Dearing, A. Hoyle, W. D. Plummer, and L. L. Barrell have served as superintendents. The last named is now in office.
The Roman Catholic Church. - The spiritual wants of the Roman Catholics of Lisbon (mostly French Canadians) were ministered to for some years by priests from Lewiston and Brunswick. In July, 1885, Fr H. J. McGill, from Lewiston, was placed in charge of the parish composed of 200 members of the church at Lisbon, 100 at Lisbon Falls, and 50 at Sabattus. Under his charge and by his zealous and efficient labors a neat and commodious church (St Anne's), with a parochial residence, was provided at Lisbon within a year, at an expense of $4,000. There has also since then been provided a church at Lisbon Falls, made ready for worship some two years ago. At Sabattus they have as yet no church. At present there are some 200 communicants at Lisbon and the same number at Lisbon Falls, with no increase at Sabattus. Fr McGill devotes his time and services among his several charges as follows: Every Sunday at Lisbon; every alternate Sunday at Lisbon Falls, and the same at Sabattus. His labors have been rewarded by increased improvement among his flock spiritually and temporally. A society, composed of the married women of the church, and known as the "Ladies of St Anne," has been formed for pious purposes under the auspices of the church and is in a flourishing condition.
456
HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.
CHAPTER XXIII.
Lisbon Business Interests -Traders, etc. - Farwell's Cotton Mills - The Farnsworth Company - New England Mineral Paint Company -Personal Sketches - LISBON FALLS - Worumbo Manufacturing Company - The Androscoggin Water-Power Company - Lisbon Falls Fibre Company -Lisbon Falls Co-operative Association-Lisbon Falls Creamery Association - Merchants, etc. - Personal Sketches.
L ISBON BUSINESS INTERESTS .- E. M. Gerrish is the oldest trader. He has been in his present location as clerk with his father, the late Joshua Gerrish, as early as 1854, and afterwards as a partner with his younger brother, E. H. Gerrish (now a druggist in Lewiston), and since alone. He carries a large stock of dry and fancy goods, boots, shoes, and gents' furnishing goods. C. A. Jordan carries on a successful business in the store formerly occupied by his father, Hon. Charles B. Jordan. He deals in dry and fancy goods, ready-made clothing, boots and shoes, wall papers, and general stock of small wares. Lunt §. Rose carry on a grocery and provision store, and also deal in corn and feed of all kinds, fertilizers and agricultural imple- ments and machinery. Ferdinand Berube, French grocery, successor to late firm of Sabourin & Beaudette. O. D. Steele, dealer in groceries, dry goods, and notions. C. S. Newell, formerly at Lewiston, has lately opened a stock of groceries, etc., in the store in Central Block formerly kept by James W. Cornish. Mr Newell was for many years one of Lewiston's successful merchants, carrying on a boot and shoe store. Elmer T. Smith carries a large stock of first-class groceries, provisions, fruit, etc. He commenced business with small capital before he was of age, and has built up a thriving and pros- perous trade by energy, industry, and course of dealing. H. P. Thompson keeps a large assortment of drugs and medicines. He is a registered phar- macist of long experience, safe and reliable. Arthur Wakefield, dealer in watches, jewelry, and silver ware, has built up a fine trade by his own efforts. Mrs C. HI. Foster, millinery. L. C. Robinson, machinist and veterinary surgeon. Albert Sutherland, blacksmith, horse-shoeing, and general work. Frank W. Nerens, blacksmith, carriage work a specialty, also worker in wood. Enoch Tebbetts, joiner and contractor. Tebbets Brothers, undertakers. W. B. Jordan, Lisbon Hotel, horses and carriages to let.
ASSOCIATIONS. - Sabattus River Lodge, No. 24, I. O. O. F .; Berry Post, No. 10, G. A. R .; Mishawum Lodge, No. 38, U. O. Pilgrim Fathers ; Lodge of N. E. O. P .; Pine Tree Grange, P. of H.
457
TOWN OF LISBON.
Sabattus river, seven miles in length, is the outlet of Sabattus pond, a sheet of water five miles long, two miles wide, and 30 feet deep. A dam at the outlet provides an ample and constant supply of water, and for a long distance the river is fed by springs issuing from its bed. Abundant power is furnished by this stream for the mills along its course. These are:
Farwell's Cotton Mills, Lisbon, incorporated January 29, 1872, occupy the first and second powers. In 1873 N. W. Farwell had a cotton mill and a saw- mill on the first power, where a fall of ten feet gave 175 horse-power, used to run 3,136 spindles, with an annual production of 112,000 pounds (500,000 yards of 36-inch sheetings. 53 operatives were employed, to whom $1,400 was paid monthly. The second power had a fall of 20 feet, giving 375 horse- power. Here Mr Farwell had just completed a brick cotton mill three stories high, 346 feet long and 52 feet wide, with a capacity of 12,000 mule spindles. In 1890 the company used 400 horse-power, driving four turbine wheels and 20,608 spindles, used 92,000 pounds of cotton monthly in making 300,000 yards of fine sheetings, 40, 45, and 48 inches wide, and employs 129 male and 112 female operatives, with a monthly pay-roll of $6,000. It has two auxiliary engines of 350 and 50 horse-power, a machine shop in a separate building, a saw-mill run by a turbine wheel of 25 horse-power, where 100,000 feet of lumber and 50,000 shingles are annually produced. The company has a capital of $500,000. Nahum Chapin is president; John W. Farwell, treasurer; William H. Miles, agent.
The Farnsworth Company, incorporated in 1868 with a capital of $50,000, occupies the power one mile below Farwell's, which is half a mile from the Androscoggin. Here Abner Coombs built a mill in 1804, and the power has been in use since. A company from Fall River, Mass., erected a cotton mill, just below the site of the Farnsworth Mill, in 1839, but the mill was burned in 1840, before the machinery was put in, and the enterprise was abandoned. Cephas Farnsworth came from Norridgewock in 1825, and carried on a carding and dressing mill for some years before 1845. His son Josiah also carried on a saw-mill until 1863, when Benjamin B. Farnsworth, son of Cephas, formed a company and built the present Farnsworth Mill in 1864. The fall is 13 feet, affording 150 horse-power. In 1873 there was a brick mill containing six sets of machinery, employing 97 operatives, with a monthly pay-roll of $3,300, producing 222,700 yards of 6 woolens and repellent cassi- meres, annually. W. F. Milliken was treasurer; Augustus Callahan, agent. In 1890 one Rodney Hunt wheel, producing 102 horse-power, operated eight sets of cards, with fifty looms, employing 55 males and 35 females. The spinning department has 4,400 spindles. There is a steam engine of 80 horse- power, not in use, but kept as auxiliary power. The company manufactures fine wool flannels from Ohio and Michigan flecce wool and Australian and South American wool. The monthly production is 77,810 yards, and the
458
HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.
monthly consumption of wool 40,000 pounds. The officers are: S. M. Milliken, president; W. F. Milliken, treasurer; George W. Olney, agent; William H. Buckley, superintendent.
In 1865 B. B. Farnsworth organized a company which built a paper mill a short distance below the Farnsworth Mill, on the next privilege, having a fall of 12 feet. This mill made a ton and a half of paper daily, and was sold in 1869 to a stock company of which Adna C. Denison, and Parsons Brothers of New York City, were chief members. They added to the machinery, and had just renewed work, when, July 1, 1870, an accidental fire destroyed the mill. This has not been rebuilt; the privilege is owned by the Farnsworth Company, and is not improved.
New England Mineral Paint Company. - Mineral paint was discovered in Lisbon in 1883 or 1884 by Edward N. Chamberlain, and the land was leased to W. B. Jordan and E. H. Caylor, who organized a stock company in 1885, under the name of the New England Mineral Paint Company. E. M. Shaw, of Nashua, N. H., John G. Tebbets, W. H. Miles, and W. B. Jordan, of Lisbon, were among the principal stockholders. In 1886 the company re-organized and chose W. B. Jordan, president; John G. Tebbets, treasurer, and C. W. Davis, agent, erected buildings, put in machinery and commenced operations, though with small success, and a new organization was formed in 1887, with W. B. Jordan, president; N. M. Neal, treasurer; John G. Tebbets, managing director. The company suspended business in 1888. The plant was then leased to E. M. Shaw, John G. Tebbets, and James Coulton, who, under the name of the Lisbon Paint Company, were building up a prosperous business when the works were burned July 10, 1889.
Hon. Jesse Davis, son of Jonathan and Rebecca (Larrabee) Davis, was born in that part of Webster, now Lisbon, July 21, 1814. His grandfather, Jesse Davis, a native of Roxbury, Mass., came to Burnt Meadow (Webster) in 1780, to build mills and develop a settlement on the territory owned by his uncle, Dr Jonathan Davis, the improvements and a tract of land to be conveyed to him for his services. He died in 1792, from loss of blood caused by the ampu- tation of a leg made necessary by the breaking out of a wound received at the battle of Lexington. IIon. Jesse Davis was early a successful teacher, and later was a farmer up to the close of the Civil War, and since then has been interested in many kinds of business. In politics a Whig and Republican, he has been much in office, selectman 15 years, town treasurer 12 years, represen- tative to the legislature, state senator, justice of the peace from 1842 to the present time, six years county commissioner, beside other official positions. He was several years in the militia, ranking as ensign, lieutenant, and captain. He is a Universalist in religion, and has always been disposed to look upon the sunny side of life. He is one of Lisbon's leading and wealthiest citizens. One of his daughters is wife of Colonel F. W. Dana, of Lewiston.
459
TOWN OF LISBON.
John G. Tebbets, son of Paul C. and Priscilla T. (Thompson) Tebbets, was born in Lisbon, July 12, 1823. His father was born in Somersworth, N. H., in 1781. In 1812 he built a house in Lisbon on the spot where his son now resides. He died in Lisbon, September, 1861, at an age of more than 80 years. His wife was a daughter of Ezekiel Thompson. Mr Tebbets is a Democrat in politics, and an active, energetic, progressive business man. He has been a director of the Worumbo woolen mill at Lisbon Falls, and the Androscoggin Water-Power Company, and is also engaged in the manufacture of lumber. He has served his native town as a member of the board of selectmen, and has been town treasurer for the past four years.
Charles H. Foster, M.D., born in Bowdoin, January 27, 1844, received the educational advantages of Litchfield Academy and the medical department of Dartmouth (N. H.) College, where he was graduated in 1874. He entered into practice in Bowdoinham, but in June, 1875, located at Lisbon village, where he is now resident, and has built up a good practice. He takes interest in the matters of professional advance, and is prized as a citizen. He is a member of Androscoggin County Medical Association, is a Mason, an Odd Fellow, and a Republican. He married Adella A. Moore, of St Albans, and has one child, Roberto M.
Augustus W. Potter, M.D., son of William and Mary E. Potter, was born in Auburn, May 11, 1854. He was gradnated at Hebron Academy in 1873, Bates College in 1877, Maine Medical School in 1884. He had formed friends in Lisbon, where he had taught school, and immediately after graduation, in June, 1884, located here as a physician and continues in practice. The same year he married Selina Rhodes, of Lawrence, Mass. They have one child, Florence Iveigh. Dr Potter is active in the educational interests of the town, is a member of United Order of Pilgrim Fathers, of the Odd Fellows, and of the New England Order of Knights of Protection, and is Congregational in religious sentiment.
Charles B. Jordan was born in Lewiston. His wife was a daughter of Captain Joseph Porter, of Freeport. Mr Jordan came to Lisbon in 1850, where he went into trade, and was a merchant up to the time of his death in January, 1886. He held various town offices, was representative two terms, and state senator two terms. He had three children: Elmer P. (a graduate of Bowdoin College, class of 1883, now a book publisher in St Louis, Mo.), Lizzie B., Charles Alton.
Charles Alton Jordan, son of Charles B. and M. P. (Porter) Jordan, descends from four prominent families of this section- the Jordans, the Porters, the Garcelons, and the Dingleys. He is a graduate of Hebron Academy, and at the age of 18 became a member of the mercantile house of C. B. Jordan & Son, at Lisbon, thus becoming one of the youngest merchants of the county. He is an active Republican in politics, a Baptist in religion, a
460
HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.
prosperous trader, and is secretary of Sabattus River Lodge, I. O. O. F. He is held in high esteem. The store where he trades is one of the oldest in the county, and has been in the occupancy of his father and himself since 1850.
LISBON FALLS. - A brisk village has been created here by the development of the magnificent water-power at this point, which has attracted live men who have built up large business houses. Several fine residences and numerous dwellings are in progress of erection in the summer of 1891, which is evidence of the steady growth of the place. If the advance of the last 10 years is continued, and the appearances indicate that it will be surpassed, a city will succeed the village at no distant period, and a water-works system and an electric light plant are things of the immediate future.
Worumbo Manufacturing Company, Lisbon Falls, organized in 1864, had originally a capital of $250,000, which was increased in 1887 to $500,000. Oliver Moses was the first president; Galen C. Moses, treasurer; F. Gutmann, agent. The first two were of Bath. The officers in 1891 are: George P. Slade, of New York, president; G. C. Moses, treasurer; F. Gutmann, of Lewiston, agent. In 1873 150 horse-power was used, 170 operatives employed, with a monthly pay-roll of $6,500, 10 sets of cards were in operation, two turbine wheels, and two mills. The annual production was 120,000 yards of finished all-wool § beavers. The two mills were brick and first class. In 1890, 500 horse-power was used, 340 male and 110 female operatives employed, and the monthly pay-roll was $15,000. Three wheels are in use, two Hercules and one Leffel, and 21 sets of cards. 120,000 pounds of Montevideo and Australian wools are used in the manufacture of beavers, kerseys, cloakings, full indigo flannels, shetlands, chinchillas, flocconnée goods, and 36,500 yards are produced. The capacity of the water-power is estimated at 5,063 horse- power. The mills have electric lights. Mr Frank Gutmann ended a service of 25 years as agent of this company, July 1, 1891. He has proved a valuable representative of the company's interests. He was succeeded by John Ballantyne, the late superintendent. The overseers of the company are: Thomas C. Rogers, wool-sorting, 26 years' service; William H. Schultz, finishing, 18 years' service; F. E. Greissinger, indigo-dyeing, 14 years' service ; William Parkin, spinning, 14 years' service; Otis S. White, mechanic, 11 years' service; Fenton Haigh, weaving, eight years' service; Max Pierter, carding, eight years' service; Emile Demuth, piece-dyeing, four years' service. William A. Brimijoin, for 12 years paymaster at the mills, was previously for three years book-keeper in the treasurer's office at Bath. The American Wool, Cotton and Finance Reporter says: " William Buerger, designer at Lisbon Falls, Me, is one of the most proficient designers in this country. He was educated in some of the best mills in Germany, and was for four years with the Utica woolen mills, Utica, N. Y., as assistant superintendent and designer. From there he went to the Globe Woolen Co., where he remained three years. He
Need help finding more records? Try our genealogical records directory which has more than 1 million sources to help you more easily locate the available records.