USA > Maine > Androscoggin County > History of Androscoggin County, Maine > Part 78
Note: The text from this book was generated using artificial intelligence so there may be some errors. The full pages can be found on Archive.org (link on the Part 1 page).
Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5 | Part 6 | Part 7 | Part 8 | Part 9 | Part 10 | Part 11 | Part 12 | Part 13 | Part 14 | Part 15 | Part 16 | Part 17 | Part 18 | Part 19 | Part 20 | Part 21 | Part 22 | Part 23 | Part 24 | Part 25 | Part 26 | Part 27 | Part 28 | Part 29 | Part 30 | Part 31 | Part 32 | Part 33 | Part 34 | Part 35 | Part 36 | Part 37 | Part 38 | Part 39 | Part 40 | Part 41 | Part 42 | Part 43 | Part 44 | Part 45 | Part 46 | Part 47 | Part 48 | Part 49 | Part 50 | Part 51 | Part 52 | Part 53 | Part 54 | Part 55 | Part 56 | Part 57 | Part 58 | Part 59 | Part 60 | Part 61 | Part 62 | Part 63 | Part 64 | Part 65 | Part 66 | Part 67 | Part 68 | Part 69 | Part 70 | Part 71 | Part 72 | Part 73 | Part 74 | Part 75 | Part 76 | Part 77 | Part 78 | Part 79 | Part 80 | Part 81 | Part 82 | Part 83 | Part 84 | Part 85 | Part 86 | Part 87 | Part 88 | Part 89 | Part 90 | Part 91 | Part 92 | Part 93 | Part 94 | Part 95 | Part 96 | Part 97 | Part 98 | Part 99 | Part 100 | Part 101 | Part 102 | Part 103 | Part 104 | Part 105 | Part 106 | Part 107 | Part 108
The Nute Brothers' Shoe Co. was organized April 23, 1891, with a capital stock of $25,000. It purchased the Smith & Miller machinery and is in busi- ness in Roak Block. A. F. Nute is president ; W. H. Nute, treasurer.
OTHER MANUFACTORIES. Hutchins's Bor Factory (H. Wesley Hutchins) employs 50 hands and pays for labor $16,000 per annum. It is the only scale- board factory in the world, was originated by Mr Hutchins and nearly all the machines used were invented by him. He bought in 1890 over 500,000 feet of bass-wood logs. The boxes are used by manufacturers of jewelry, clocks, crackers, confectionery, hardware, patent medicines, jellies, etc., and are sold from New Brunswick to California, in South America, Australia, and Europe. This factory was built in 1886, partially burned in 1888 and rebuilt with another story, and is located between the Maine Central and Grand Trunk railroads, and contains nearly 40,000 feet of flooring, and is operated by 100- horse-power water-power from the Little Androscoggin Water-Power Company's dam. It has electric bells and all modern improvements. Annual product, about $30,000. . The factory consumes annually 75,000 feet spruce scantlings, 5 tons of glue, 2 tons of nails, and 100 cords of fuel.
Whitman Agricultural Works. - J. W. May, president; D. W. Verrill, treasurer; J. W. Mitchell, clerk ; W. E. Whitman, manager ; J. W. May, B. F. Briggs, H. W. Hutchins, William Dickey, W. E. Whitman, directors. This company was incorporated November 1, 1889, with a capital stock of $100,000. The amount of working capital is $50,000. Work was commenced on a new factory on Hutchins street, between Maine Central and Grand Trunk railroads, November 16, 1889, and February 17, 1890, the machinery was put in operation. The plant consists of a factory, 106 x 50 feet, four stories; machine-shop, 55 x 35 feet, two and one-half stories; and store-house, 96 x 35 feet. These are fitted with the best of machinery, and have every facility for doing the best of work. The buildings are furnished throughout with electric bells and lights and are steam-heated. Power is furnished by the Little Androscoggin Water-Power Co. The product of the company is a general assortment of agricultural machinery, including threshers, horse-powers, sawing- machines, cider-mills, feed-cutters, wheel-barrows, grindstone frames, and a variety of smaller articles. From 60 to 70 hands are employed, the pay-roll being about $350 a week.
Auburn Store Foundry Company .- President, H. W. Hutchins ; treasurer, T. H. Roberts ; manager, George W. McFadden ; directors, H. W. Hutchins, H. Fairfield, George C. Wing, A. L. Goss, J. H. Stetson, J. R. Learned, George S. Woodman. Organized June 9, 1890, with capital of $35,000. The company
639
CITY OF AUBURN.
bought plant of the Biddeford Stove Foundry and moved it to Auburn, where the first castings were made September 16, 1890. The foundry is located on the Maine Central Railroad at the junction of High street and Minot avenue. The company manufactures several kinds of ranges and stoves, with the Royal Falmouth range as a leader; also makes sinks and hollow ware, etc., and furnishes its own power and heat. Its plant consists of brick building, with moulding department 85x60; wooden building put up in 1890, 40 x 80, three stories, for mounting and fitting department ; also new building for storage of coal, and other smaller ones for the storage of patterns. The foundry employs about 35 men, has a pay-roll of $2,000 a month, and the estimated value of annual production is about $45,000. Uses annually about 250 tons of coal and 500 tons of pig-iron.
Auburn Foundry Company .- Capital stock, $15,000. Foundry located on Washington street, near Maine Central Railroad repair shops. Number hands employed, 20; annual pay-roll, $10,000 ; annual value of manufactures, $30,000; N. M. Neal, agent. An extension to the factory was built in 1889, 50 x 35, and increased facilities provided. The company is doing a large and constantly increasing business.
Tobie &. Clark Manufacturing Co .- This stock company was formed in 1877 with $50,000 capital, to continue the manufacture of the Premium pine pump, carried on from 1869 by Tobie & Clark Brothers, at No. 8 Roak Block. The first officers were D. F. Tobie, president; David Allen, secretary and treasurer; Henry Clark, N. M. Neal, John Eaton, F. B. Pierce, D. F. Tobie, directors. The business was removed to Lewiston and remained there until 1883, when it was brought to Auburn. In 1883 and 1884 it made 3,000 pumps yearly. Dr J. W. Beede later became president; J. W. Beede, C. S. Emerson, Charles Dunn, L. A. Cobb, F. R. Conant, directors; Charles Dunn, agent and treasurer. The manufacture of pumps is now carried on by L. A. Cobb, the company only leasing rooms and power.
. F. R. Conant & Co. carry on a general lumber business and make wooden boxes for the shoe factories and other industries. They have two buildings on the west side of Washington street, near Auburn Foundry, one, 60 x 25, and the other, 40 x 75, and are erecting another large building on the opposite side of the street, 50 x 32, three stories with basements for the lumber business. They have also a mill on the Little Androscoggin near the electric light station and another at North Auburn. They employ about 25 men.
FLOUR, MEAL, ETC. Solomon Parsons & Son (F. A. Parsons), grain mill, junction of Washington and Jefferson streets, employ 5 men, and grind 12,000 bushels of grain monthly. They have 75 horse-power produced by a 172 inch Victor wheel. J. E. Tibbetts &. Co., established by J. E. Tibbetts in 1861 ; N. S. Tibbetts was made partner in 1883. They employ 5 men in the manu- facture of 60,0000 bushels of meal and sale of 100,000 bushels of grain yearly.
640
HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.
Their mill is on Knight street. They built in 1890 a large warehouse on Turner street, adjacent to the Maine Central Railroad. Henry Willis & Co.'s yearly product of flour and meal is 75,000 bushels. Their warehouse is No. 2 Roak Block. They employ 4 men.
MACHINISTS. F. H. Fellows & Co., Washington street, make engines, boilers, etc., employing 6 hands. They built a large three-story machine and wood-working shop in 1889. John M. Crawshaw, Mechanic row, employs 4 men in the manufacture of Irish's patent lease rods, general repairing, and pattern making. C. H. Lucas, No. 3 Roak Block, manufactures watchmakers' tools and fine machine work, such as models and novelties. He is patentee of the Little Giant screw-driver. He employs 3 men. J. W. Verrill, 34 Railroad street, makes shoe tools and light machinery, philosophical apparatus, electric batteries, etc.
The brick-yard of Charles Dunn employs from 5 to 10 hands and manufact- urers 800,000 of brick annually.
PRINTERS. Bridge & Smith, 4 Court street; Merrill &. Webber, 88 Main street ; H. A. Lane, 76 Main street.
PAPER BOXES. Auburn Paper Bor Co .- This company was organized June 1, 1889. It occupies No. 8 Mechanic row as a factory, and produces 5,000,000 boxes yearly. The power used is electric of 5-horse-power. There are 50 female and 10 male operatives employed. Mark Morse has a three-story factory on Railroad street, where he manufactures 6,000 boxes daily and employs 25 hands.
Auburn Steam Power Co. was established in October, 1884, with capital stock of $30,000. Its plant is the former Miller & Randall tannery site, furnished with boilers and engines of 120-horse-power. It supplies power to John F. Cobb Shoe Co., Eureka Hosiery Co., Wood, Robinson & Co., and Auburn Paper Box Co.
Eureka Hosiery Co., Main street, was established in 1886 and incorporated in 1888. It manufactures cotton, silk, wool, camel's hair, worsted and merino hosiery, lumbermen's socks and leggings, boys' and women's leggings, and cotton and woolen bandages for trotting horses. 42 hands are employed. Officers : George C. Wing, president ; A. A. Waite, treasurer.
Brockway Manufacturing Co. manufactures extension cases and shawl straps. It is located at No. 2 Roak Block, occupies three floors, and employs abont 15 hands. It produced in 1890, 20,000 extension cases and 12,000 shawl straps, and the value of the product was $17,000. Officers: Russell Daggett, president ; I. N. Haskell, treasurer; W. V. Daggett, clerk.
E. H. Osgood, in the leather-board business on Miller street, makes pasted heels. He is turning ont 8,000 cards per month, the cards being 13 x 19 inches. He employs 18 females and 3 males, and his pay-roll is $500 a month.
641
CITY OF AUBURN.
Last Factory .- Fitz Brothers (Ira and Amos Fitz) employ 22 men on Railroad square, where they make 4,800 pairs of lasts a month.
PORK PACKING, ETC. Ferd Penley has $40,000 invested in his pork- packing establishment. His works are operated by a 25-horse-power steam engine and 40-horse-power boiler. He employs from 10 to 12 men, and in 1890 slaughtered 1,500 Maine cattle, 1,000 Western cattle, 2,500 sheep and lambs, 300 calves, and 750 hogs. In 1890 he added a wool-pulling department. E. W. Gross, Roak Block, packs 1,500 hogs and makes 100,000 pounds of sausage annually.
CARRIAGE MAKING. C. T. Nevens has a carriage shop six stories high, built in 1882. In 1890 he made 100 carriages and 25 sleighs valued at $8,000, bought and sold $16,000 worth of carriages, and built a store-house of four stories, 50 x 100 feet, on the corner of Union and Summer streets. This is one of the largest carriage factories in the state, and gives employment to from 20 to 25 hands.
C. J. Litchfield has a shop on Turner street, built in 1886, where he employs 10 men. In 1890 he made 40 carriages and 30 sleighs and put up a large addition to his buildings, making his factory now 40 x 75 feet in size with five floors.
MARBLE AND GRANITE WORKS. Some of the leading men of Auburn were among the corporators of the Maine & New Hampshire Granite Co., incorporated in 1886, and its headquarters are here. George W. Wagg, so long agent of the Maine Central in Auburn, has been president from organiza- tion. The company owns nearly 6,000 acres of granite land in Conway, N. H., and have employed 300 men in their operations there. They have furnished building stone for some of the largest buildings in the country. The Auburn Marble and Granite Monumental Works, 212 Court street, George B. Smith manager, were established in 1850 by H. R. Smith. He employs from 10 to 15 men. H. S. Decker employs 12 men in his shop near Maine Central station, has an annual pay-roll of $5,000, and produces $15,000 worth of goods. R. C. Haskell employs from 9 to 12 men at No. 23 Mechanic row. A. J. Verrill & Co. manufacture annually $10,000 worth of granite and marble at their works on Turner street. They employ 4 men.
FURNITURE FACTORY. Bradford, Conant & Co. employ six men at East Auburn. They use 700,000 of lumber, and make 300 sets of furniture yearly. Annual value of manufactured products $30,000. They have a saw-mill con- nected with their factory.
BAKERIES. T. A. Huston & Co. employ 35 hands in their cracker bakery, where they manufacture 80 barrels of crackers daily. Monthly pay-roll $1,800. Edmund Libby &. Son employ 4 hands at their bakery on Court street. Pay- roll $300 monthly. A. A. Walton, New Auburn, employs + men.
642
HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.
The aggregate pay-roll of manufacturing establishments for 1890 was fully $1,000,000, and the value of their product was $6,000,000. Between 3,500 and 4,000 operatives were furnished employment.
OTHER ARTISANS. Among the contractors (wood and stone work) and builders deserving of notice are J. A. Greenleaf, 19 Granite street ; S. K. Bal- lard, 103 Turner street ; Woodbury Pride ; Beals & Hunnewell, 25 James street ; Libby & Keith, 12 Mechanic row; Dinsmore & Greenleaf, 17 Mechanic row ; A. F. Warren, 12 Mechanic row; E. M. Greenleaf, Miller street ; A. A. Tubbs, 44 Miller street ; C. A. Jordan, Academy street; N. C. Estes and Day Bros., New Auburn ; H. H. Bailey, North Auburn. In stone work are B. H. Josslyn and D. W. Jones on upper Court street; O. HI. Maxwell, 21 Manley street ; S. L. Blaisdell, Minot road ; D. H. Rendall, 64 Elm street ; E. Y. Turner, High street; H. Ricker, 307 Main street; R. H. Ross, 20 Myrtle street ; W. A. MeKenney and T. D. Thorne, Prospect Hill; D. S. Whitehouse, Second avenue.
PAINTERS, DECORATORS, ETC. F. H. Storah & Co., 86 Court street; Raynes &. Ross, J. F. Larrabee, L. D. Bachelder, W. D. Crafts, and Haskell & Co. are clustered on Miller street. W. S. Heath is at 45 Main street, and Hartwell ยง. Co. at 15 Mechanic row.
CHAPTER XXXVII.
Auburn Bank - First National Bank-Auburn Savings Bank -National Shoe and Leather Bank - Mechanics Savings Bank -American Banking and Trust Co. - Auburn Trust Co .- Municipal Court- Board of Trade-Maine Benefit Association - Auburn Loan and Building Association - Androscoggin Land Association -Lake Auburn Fish Protective Association - Auburn Aqueduct Co. - Little Androscoggin Water Power Co. - Lewiston and Auburn Electric Light Co. - Physicians - Leading Traders - Merchants and Business Men - Organizations.
A UBURN BANK .- The Danville Bank was incorporated February 28, 1855, with Samuel Pickard, James Goff, Jr, Edward T. Little, John Penley, Rufus Penley, Jacob H. Roak, Nelson Dingley, Nelson B. Rey- nolds, William Kilbourne, Jacob Herrick, E. F. Packard, and Jeremiah Dingley, Jr, as incorporators, and a capital of $50,000. March 16 the name was changed to the Auburn Bank. April 19, 1855, the corporators organized. Jacob H. Roak, Edward T. Little, Nelson Dingley, John Penley, Eliphalet Packard, and Jacob Herrick were elected directors; J. H. Roak, president, and E. F. Packard, cashier. October 2, 1855, at the first annual meeting, Hiram C. Briggs was added to the board. Jacob H. Roak re-elected president, and E. F. Packard, cashier. Mr Packard resigning, John F. Cobb was chosen cashier.
643
CITY OF AUBURN.
March 12, 1857, the capital was increased to $75,000. The bank did business until January 30, 1864. Mr Roak was president during the life of the bank. William Libby was chosen cashier in 1857. There were few changes in the directory.
The First National Bank of Auburn, successor to Auburn Bank, was organ- ized (the 154th bank under the national banking system) October 25, 1863. The corporators were Jacob H. Roak, E. F. Packard, Edward T. Little, Peter F. Sanborn, Joseph II. Sanborn, Hiram C. Briggs, Nelson Dingley, James Dingley, Jeremiah Dingley, Jr. The capital stock was $100,000 at first ; increased to $130,000 January 10, 1865. May 26, 1865, the directors voted to ask permission to increase the capital to $150,000, but it was not so increased until March 29, 1875. The first directory was J. H. Roak, E. F. Packard, E. T. Little, Nelson Dingley, Hiram C. Briggs, James Dingley, and Jeremiah Dingley, Jr. Jacob H. Roak was chosen the first president; E. F. Packard, vice-president; William Libby, cashier. The bank began business March 1, 1864, in banking rooms in the second story of Phoenix Block, and the bills of Auburn Bank were redeemed until 1866. In 1870 a third room was leased with the others for 15 years, and new and larger vaults were constructed. In 1882 the charter was extended to November 30, 1902. The bank, in con- nection with Auburn Savings Bank, fitted up the banking rooms it now occupies at No. 78 Main street, and entered into possession May 27, 1885. February 14, 1887, the bank withdrew $100,000 of its circulation. Mr Roak resigned as president, January 11, 1876, and Jeremiah Dingley, Jr, was elected and now holds the office. H. C. Briggs was chosen vice-president, January 11, 1876. William Libby resigned March 1, 1874, and was succeeded by John B. Jordan, who was cashier until March 16, 1882. L. Linn Small took office April 12, 1882; on his resignation, April 15, 1889, Horace C. Day was elected. Horace C. Little and Edward A. Little were chosen directors January 14, 1868, in place of E. F. Packard and Edward T. Little. January 11, 1876, B. F. Briggs and John Pickard succeeded H. C. Little and J. H. Roak as directors. Edward A. Little died in 1876 and Charles E. Smith filled his place as director; January 11, 1881, he was succeeded by James O. Foss. H. M. Packard and George S. Woodman were elected directors January 11, 1887, to succeed B. F. Briggs and John Pickard. December 31, 1890, the financial condition of the bank was: Liabilities-Capital stock, $150,000; surplus, $33,000; profit and loss, $12,551.88; circulation, $45,000; individual deposits, $138,923.17. Total liabilities, $379,475.05. Assets-Loans, etc., $262.002.84; U. S. and other bonds, $55,000; Boston and New York banks, $38,414.72; real estate, etc., $2,671.07; bills of other banks, $6,230; cash items and fractional coin, $1,009.42; specie, $9,567 ; legal tenders, $2,330; 5 per cent. redemption fund, $2,250. Total assets, $379,475.05. The bank is the depository of the county funds, and agent for the sale of Cheque Bank cheques, available in all parts of the world.
644
HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.
Auburn Savings Bank was incorporated February 21, 1868, with these corporators: James Goff, Seth May, Samuel Pickard, Nelson Dingley, James Dingley, William Libby, Charles W. Walton, Jeremiah Dingley, Jr, William S. Young, A. M. Pulsifer, Horace C. Little, Edward A. Little, Jacob H. Roak. The bank began business March, 1868, in Phoenix Block. In connection with the First National Bank the Savings Bank fitted up its present commodious establishment, and occupied it May 27, 1885. J. H. Roak was president until January 12, 1875. He was succeeded by James Dingley, who held office until his death, January 10, 1891. James Goff was vice-president till January 14, 1873, when Nelson Dingley was elected; Edward A. Little was chosen January 12, 1875; John Pickard, elected January 11, 1877, was succeeded January 8, 1878, by Hannibal R. Smith, who served till January 11, 1887, and was followed by George S. Woodman, who was chosen president on the death of President Dingley and was succeeded as vice-president by Frank Bartlett. William Libby was the first treasurer and was succeeded by Silas Sprague, who served until February 1, 1876; he was followed by George S. Woodman until April 14, 1882, then by William Libby until May, 1883, when George H. Brown came into office. The first trustees were Seth May, Samuel Pickard, Nelson Dingley, James Dingley, Charles W. Walton, H. C. Briggs, J. Dingley, Jr, William S. Young, A. M. Pulsifer, Horace C. Little, Edward A. Little ; the present ones are George S. Woodman, Richard Dresser, Frank Bartlett, D. W. Verrill, Daniel Lara, John A. Morrill, A. M. Peables, Fessenden I. Day. November 1, 1890, there were 3,117 depositors, with deposits of $917,311.45. The bank then had resources of $962,199.65, and a reserve fund of $32,000.
Mechanics Savings Bank was chartered February 16, 1875, with these cor- porators : John T. Randall, John F. Cobb, F. M. Jordan, Ara Cushman, Seth P. Miller, II. A. Wheelock, Henry Willis, John Pickard, J. R. Learned, S. S. Hersey, Barker Brooks, and S. F. Merrill. The bank commenced business May 3, 1875, in Auburn Hall Block. The first officers were : John F. Cobb, president ; J. R. Learned, treasurer; S. P. Miller, John F. Cobb, H. A. Wheelock, W. II. Rounds, Dana Goff, Ara Cushman, Henry Willis, trustees ; Mr Willis soon resigned, and J. R. Learned was chosen trustee. Richard Dresser was the first solicitor; he was succeeded by Hon. George C. Wing. Mr Learned resigned as treasurer in April, 1889, and was succeeded by J. W. Stetson. Soon after establishment the bank was removed to the next store east, and remained there until June, 1889, when the savings bank building was ready for occupancy. This building is the finest block in Auburn, cost $50,000, and contains the banking rooms of this bank and of the National Shoe and Leather Bank, besides two stores on the ground floor, elegant offices in the second story, while the third is one of the finest Masonic halls in Maine. The Mechanics Sav- ings Bank prefers investments in Maine enterprises, issues no loans on Western real estate mortgages, and has paid semi-annual dividends of from 2 to 3 per
645
CITY OF AUBURN.
cent. from organization. February 9, 1891, it had 3,778 depositors, with deposits of $1,051,026.02, a reserve fund of $37,500, resources of over $1,096,905.73, and a surplus of $50,000. Officers, January 1, 1891: John F. Cobb, president ; B. F. Sturgis, M.D., vice-president; J. W. Stetson, treas- urer ; John F. Cobb, S. P. Miller, Dana Goff, E. T. Gile, B. F. Sturgis, E. W. Gross, Rufus Prince, R. C. Jewett, H. W. Hutchins, trustees.
National Shoe and Leather Bank. - This bank was organized in February, 1875, with a capital of $200,000, increased July 1, 1876, to $300,000, and November 5, 1887, to $400,000. The directors were Ara Cushman, John T. Randall, John F. Cobb, F. M. Jordan, Henry Willis, George C. Wing. Ara Cushman was made president, and John T. Randall, vice-president. On the death of Mr Randall, in 1881, John F. Cobb was chosen his successor. Marshall C. Percival was the first cashier. He resigned April 17, 1891, and was succeeded by Everett L. Smith. The Shoe and Leather Bank was in the management of leading financiers, took rank with the most successful moneyed institutions of Maine, in business ability was second to none, and December 31, 1890, its surplus capital was $50,000. On the resignation of Mr Percival, an examination by U. S. National Bank Examiner F. W. Parker, of Lewiston, showed a deficit of $180,000. This was a severe blow to the bank, but so great was the confidence of the people in its stockholders and directorate that no run was made upon it, nor upon the Mechanics Savings Bank, which was a large stockholder in the Shoe and Leather Bank. From the amounts secured from Mr Percival and his bondsmen, the surplus funds, and a 10 per cent. assessment on the capital stock, the loss was made good, and the bank continues to do business with undimin- ished capital, and maintains its prestige among the banks of the state. The present directors are Ara Cushman, John F. Cobb, F. M. Jordan, B. F. Briggs, George C. Wing, G. P. Martin, L. Linn Small.
American Banking and Trust Co. banking rooms, Goff Block. Capital stock paid in $75,000. January 1, 1891, the surplus fund was $8,000 ; the undivided profits $1,000. Directors : W. W. Bolster, Auburn ; S. A. Holbrook, Freeport ; G. E. Smith, Boston ; N. W. Harris, Auburn ; J. E. Briggs, Winthrop; E. P. Wentworth, Portland; F. R. Conant, Auburn; president, W. W. Bolster; vice-president, B. R. Redman, Quincy, Mass. ; secretary and treasurer, N. F. Woodbury, Auburn. This institution was incorporated in 1887, had its charter amended in February, 1889, enlarging its powers. It does a general banking business, receives deposits subject to check, also time deposits, on which it pays a liberal rate of interest. It is authorized to act as trustee for any person, firm, or corporation, negotiate loans, issue and sell bonds secured by first mortgages on real estate, buy, sell, exchange, and deal in any kind of property, receive money and trust funds, and invest them. It issues certificates of deposit bearing four and one-half or five per cent. interest per annum according to time
646
HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.
and amount, which are specially advantageous to persons having considerable sums of money not in use for a short or long time.
Auburn Trust Company, incorporated March 2, 1889, with a capital of $200,000 for a general banking business, had as corporators George C. Wing, Marshall C. Percival, Ara Cushman, Oscar Holway, Seth M. Carter, Samuel F. Merrill, and their associates, George D. Bisbee, J. R. Learned, Edward H. York, Heman A. Packard, George A. Wilson, L. Linn Small, B. F. Sturgis. Samuel F. Merrill was chosen president, George C. Wing vice-president, James F. Atwood secretary and treasurer. The bank began business in the National Shoe and Leather Bank in September, 1890, and soon after removed to the Board of Trade rooms, where it remained until the completion of its magnifi- cent banking rooms in Elm Block, which was purchased for $12,600 in 1890, and alterations, costing from $12,000 to $15,000 were made. The bank has appurtenances of the best quality, with massive, steel-lined vaults, and with a large capital in the management of leading business men, is a valuable addition to the monetary institutions of the county.
J. R. Learned, state agent of Union Debenture Co. has his office at 83 Main street.
Auburn Municipal Court is now of equal importance with that of Lewiston. A police court was created in 1869, succeeded by a municipal court in 1875. (See page 308.) September 21, 1891, J. W. Mitchell, Esq., was appointed judge to succeed Richard Dresser, resigned.
Auburn Board of Trade. - This organization is one of the strongest elements of Auburn's business prosperity. It was organized April 6, 1887, with 86 members. The leading business men belong to it, and, although on ordinary occasions the meetings may be thinly attended, and not much interest apparently manifested, yet when the need of action comes and a movement is demanded to add to Auburn's prosperity, this Board of Trade furnishes organized and concentred activity that fails not to accomplish the end in view ; the Auburn Public Library is a conspicuous example of its successful work. Rooms 83 Main street. The officers are Ara Cushman, president; E. T. Gile, A. M. Penley, George S. Woodman, vice-presidents ; J. P. Hutchinson, secre- tary ; D. W. Verrill, treasurer.
Need help finding more records? Try our genealogical records directory which has more than 1 million sources to help you more easily locate the available records.