USA > Maine > Androscoggin County > History of Androscoggin County, Maine > Part 34
Note: The text from this book was generated using artificial intelligence so there may be some errors. The full pages can be found on Archive.org (link on the Part 1 page).
Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5 | Part 6 | Part 7 | Part 8 | Part 9 | Part 10 | Part 11 | Part 12 | Part 13 | Part 14 | Part 15 | Part 16 | Part 17 | Part 18 | Part 19 | Part 20 | Part 21 | Part 22 | Part 23 | Part 24 | Part 25 | Part 26 | Part 27 | Part 28 | Part 29 | Part 30 | Part 31 | Part 32 | Part 33 | Part 34 | Part 35 | Part 36 | Part 37 | Part 38 | Part 39 | Part 40 | Part 41 | Part 42 | Part 43 | Part 44 | Part 45 | Part 46 | Part 47 | Part 48 | Part 49 | Part 50 | Part 51 | Part 52 | Part 53 | Part 54 | Part 55 | Part 56 | Part 57 | Part 58 | Part 59 | Part 60 | Part 61 | Part 62 | Part 63 | Part 64 | Part 65 | Part 66 | Part 67 | Part 68 | Part 69 | Part 70 | Part 71 | Part 72 | Part 73 | Part 74 | Part 75 | Part 76 | Part 77 | Part 78 | Part 79 | Part 80 | Part 81 | Part 82 | Part 83 | Part 84 | Part 85 | Part 86 | Part 87 | Part 88 | Part 89 | Part 90 | Part 91 | Part 92 | Part 93 | Part 94 | Part 95 | Part 96 | Part 97 | Part 98 | Part 99 | Part 100 | Part 101 | Part 102 | Part 103 | Part 104 | Part 105 | Part 106 | Part 107 | Part 108
THE GRANGE IN ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY. - Androscoggin county holds the honor of being the birthplace of the Maine State Grange, and an important factor in the formation of the organization which now numbers over 17,000 Patrons of Husbandry, and 122 subordinate granges. The Maine State Grange was organized in Grand Army Hall, Lewiston, April 21, 1874, under the call of O. D. Hinkley, General Deputy of the National Grange. At this time there were only 18 subordinate granges in the state, six of which were in
288
HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.
Androscoggin county, namely : Lewiston, No. 2; Pine Tree, No. 3, of Lisbon ; Auburn, No. 4; Excelsior, No. 5, of Poland; Eureka, No. 7, of Durham; and Androscoggin, No. 8, of Greene. These granges were represented in the meeting for organizing a state grange by Masters Nelson Ham, Lewiston; E. N. Chamberlain, Lisbon ; N. B. Tracy, Secretary of Auburn Grange; C. H. Cobb, Poland; Hermon Sawyer, Durham; J. M. Jackson, Lewiston. Nelson Ham, of Lewiston, was the first Master of the State Grange; C. H. Cobb, of Poland, Treas .; J. M. Jackson, of Lewiston, Sec .; and Hermon Sawyer, of Durham, one of the four members of the Executive Committee. Nelson Ham has been an officer of the State Grange continually from the time of organi- zation to the present, either as Master or a member of the Executive Committee. Hon. Rufus Prince, of Turner, was elected Master of the State Grange in 1889, and held that position until his death, March 27, 1891.
The members of the grange in Androscoggin county have ever been active, enterprising, progressive patrons. The membership in the county has steadily increased, until it now numbers nearly 1,400, with 15 subordinate granges and one county or l'omona Grange. It was in this county that the Patrons' Androscoggin Mutual Fire Insurance Company was organized, at first as a local company; but its success was such that its territorial limits were enlarged to include the whole state. This company insures only the property of members of the grange and now carries risks to the amount of nearly $2,000,000. The initial steps for organizing the Patrons' Mutual Aid Society were also taken by Androscoggin county patrons. The society was organized under the laws of Maine in 1889. The original officers were James L. Martin, of Auburn, Pres .; J. O. Keyes, Wilton, Vice-Pres .; John M. Jackson, Lew- iston, Treas .; John L. Ham, Lewiston, Sec .; S. S. Smith of Norway, C. H. Cobb of East Poland, A. R. Bradford of West Minot, E. H. Libby of Auburn, and A. D. King of North Monmouth, Directors.
The subordinate granges meet from two to four times a month, and the Pomona Grange once a month. At these meetings a programme, so arranged with appropriate subjects that nearly all members can take part, is carried out. In this way the grange becomes a practical school for the farmer. In the grange he has learned to think, act, and talk for himself. Through its educat- ing and refining influences the farmer finds himself occupying a higher position in the community and society than formerly. Those who sneeringly referred to the " grangers " as " old hayseeds," now recognize them as their equals in society as well as in business affairs. The grange has fairly lived down all opposition, and is now recognized everywhere as one of the best institutions in the land for elevating and educating the farmer and his family. It gives him social advantages which he finds nowhere else, and this one feature alone is worth to the farmer all it costs to become a member of the order. Although the grange is a non-political organization, and partisan politics cannot be
289
THE GRANGE.
discussed in its meetings, still the farmers' political influence has been much enlarged through their connection with the grange, and both the great political parties are striving to secure its vote. The grange has encouraged co-operation in trade among members of the order, thus dispensing with the work of the middleman by buying direct of importers and manufacturers. The following is a quotation from the Declaration of Purposes of the order :-
United by the strong and faithful tie of agriculture, we mutually resolve to labor for the good of our order, our country, and mankind. We heartily endorse the motto: "In essentials, unity ; in non-essentials, liberty ; in all things, charity." We shall endeavor to advance our cause by laboring to accomplish the following objects: To develop a better and higher manhood and womanhood among ourselves; to enhance the comforts and attractions of our homes, and strengthen our attachments to our pursuits ; to foster mutual understanding and co-operation ; to maintain inviolate our laws, and to emulate each other in labor to hasten the good time coming; to reduce our expenses, both individual and corporate; to buy less and produce more in order to make our farms self-sustaining; to diversify our erops, and crop no more than we can cultivate; to condense the weight of our exports, selling less in the bushel and more on hoof and in fleece, less in lint and more in warp and woof; to systematize our work, and calculate intelligently on probabilities; to discountenance the credit system, the mortgage system, the fashion system, and every other system tending to prodigality and bankruptcy. We propose meeting together, talking together, working together, buying together, selling together, and, in general, acting together for our mutual protection and advancement, as occasion may require. We shall avoid litigation as much as possible by arbitration in the grange. We shall constantly strive to secure entire harmony, good-will, vital brotherhood among ourselves, and to make our order perpetual. We shall earnestly endeavor to suppress personal, local, sectional, and national prejudices, all unhealthy rivalry, all selfish ambition. Faithful adherence to these principles will ensure our mental, moral, social, and material advancement.
Lewiston Grange, No. 2, was organized January 24, 1874, by National Deputy O. D. Hinkley, with 20 charter members, and Nelson Ham, Master; A. J. Clough, Secretary. It meets every Thursday, at South Lewiston, in a hall owned by the grange. The present membership is 78. G. G. Wagg, Master ; H. J. Carville, Sec. Charter members : A. J. Hinkley, Martha Hinkley, O. Potter, Increase Gould, Nelson Ham, Harriet Ham, A. J. Clough, A. B. Holland, Minnie Holland, Calvin Spofford, L. B. Dingley, Dexter Blethen, Charlotte Blethen, W. S. Foss, Odrietta Foss, B. H. Morrill, Clarinda Morrill, H. M. Garcelon, Harriet Garcelon.
Pine Tree Grange, No. 3, Lisbon, was organized February 24, 1874, by O. D. Hinkley, with 20 charter members, and E. N. Chamberlain, Master; John Smith, Sec. It meets at Lisbon, Friday evening of each week. The present membership is 68. W. S. Merrill, Master; Gerbert G. Spear, Sec. Charter members: Joseph Nichols, L. R. Ross, J. L. Atwood, E. N. Chamberlain, John Smith, J. D. Hodgkins, Moses Abbott, Jas Ham, Jacob Whiting, Geo. D. Frost, Frank A. Jordan, Geo. P. Jack, Mrs M. S. Chamberlain, Arabella
290
HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.
Hodgkins, R. E. Ross, Minerva Ham, Christiana Whiting, Addie M. Frost, M. A. Jordan, Lucy T. Jack.
Auburn Grange, No. 4, was organized March 2, 1874, by O. D. Hinkley, with 24 charter members: J. B. Cross, Annie J. Cross, N. B. Tracy, Hattie L. Tracy, L. I. Bumpus, I. A. Johnson, C. E. Johnson, E. O. Wood, A. W. Davis, Hannah A. Davis, A. G. Mathews, J. K. Drake, Julia A. Drake, J. S. Robbins, Florence N. Robbins, Rebecca H. Robbins, R. H. Pettingill, A. A. Young, Elias N. Davis, J. D. Rowe, A. W. Larrabee, Z. T. Newell, Lizzie L. Yeaton, D. J. Rowe. J. S. Robbins, Master; N. B. Tracy, Sec. It meets on the first and third Saturdays of each month, at East Auburn. This grange owns, clear of all incumbrances, a building and lot worth, with the furniture, about $2,000. The building contains hall and anterooms above, all nicely finished and furnished. The lower part is fitted up as a store, which is rented, and a dining-room with all the necessary fixtures. The present membership is 140. H. A. Whitman, Master; F. F. Vickery, Sec.
Excelsior Grange, No. 5, Poland, was organized March 5, 1874, by O. D. Hinkley, with 30 charter members: C. H. Cobb, N. P. Waterhouse, L. D. Cobb, A. G. Thurlow, Geo. A. Dockham, Alanson Briggs, Hiram Waterhouse, B. F. Cobb, L. D. Edgecomb, Henry True, Alexander Robertson, Samuel Goss, Josiah Small, D. W. Pulsifer, Nelson Haskell, C. N. Burns, T. H. Durell, J. F. Edgecomb, H. W. Sawtelle, N. H. Cobb, W. G. Cobb, Rhoda Strout, Lydia Cobb, Clara A. Edgecomb, Fostina B. Harris, Amanda S. Cobb, Mrs O. H. Durell, Mary E. Waterhouse, M. A. Cobb, Annie F. Waterhouse. C. H. Cobb, M .; V. P. Waterhouse, Sec. It meets Saturday evenings, owns a good, well-furnished hall, containing a library, also a large stable for horses. The present membership is 139. P. P. Pulsifer, M .; F. O. Everett, Sec.
Eureka Grange, No. 7, Durham, organized March 16, 1874, by O. D. Hinkley, with 23 charter members: David Crockett, Herman Sawyer, C. E. Knight, C. W. Harding, C. H. Bliss, Henry Sylvester, S. B. Libby, Albert Day, D. Dyer, Wm B. Newell, Wmn W. Knight, Freeman Newell, Wm T. Osgood, Mrs Belinda Crockett, Ora L. Knight, Etta L. Bliss, Nealia W. Libby, Amelia Dyer, Susan G. Knight, Cora J. Sylvester, Mary E. Newell, Hattie C. Sawyer, Maria A. Harding. Herman Sawyer, M .; C. E. Knight, Sec. It meets every Saturday evening, and practices, to some extent, co-operation in buying groceries, grass sced, etc. The present membership is 131. E. L. Macomber, M .; S. B. Libby, Sec.
Androscoggin Grange, No. S, was organized in Greene, March 24, 1874, by O. D. Hinkley, with 23 charter members, and J. M. Jackson, M .; W. F. Mower, Sec. It meets at Barkerville, Lewiston, on the first and third Thursdays of each month. The present membership is 33. T. B. Norris, M .; Lizzie A. Norris, Sec. The charter members were: John M. Jackson, A. E. Jackson, O. H. Merrill, J. M. Shaw, Eli Hodgkins, A. B. Parker, W. S. Wilkins, Nelson
291
THE GRANGE.
Coburn, W. F. Mower, C. R. Daggett, C. A. Bradbury, J. M. Richardson, Ingerson Parker, Mrs H. L. Jackson, Mrs R. J. Jackson, Mrs M. J. Merrill, Mrs Emily Shaw, Mrs E. A. Parker, Mrs M. A. Wilkins, Mrs Rosanna Coburn, Mrs C. A. Mower, Mrs A. P. Daggett, Mrs L. W. Bradbury.
Turner Grange, No. 23, was organized May 23, 1874, by J. S. Robbins, state deputy, with 21 charter members, and L. P. Bradford, M .; H. C. Haskell, Sec. It meets at Turner Center, on the first and third Saturdays of each month, holding an all-day meeting, and having dinner served in the dining-room connected with the hall. Nearly 100 members, on an average, attend these meetings. This grange owns the hall in which the meetings are held. It also has a reading-room in connection with the hall, which is neatly carpeted and furnished with chairs, tables, and pictures. In this room is a large and valuable library, to which additions are made each year. Turner Grange is one of the largest and best conducted granges in the state. The farmers of Turner appreciate the advantages which the grange offers to them, and a large part of them are members of the grange. The present membership is 207. R. D. Leavitt, M .; C. W. Skillings, Sec. Charter members: Wallace Cary, S. S. Merrill, Augustus Haskell, Alden Fuller, E. H. Haskell, W. L. Blossom, W. B. Bryant, Henry Turner, G. W. Blossom, B. F. Hodgdon, D. J. Briggs, Hiram Bryant, Mrs Sarah Fuller, Sybil P. Turner, Rose S. Blossom, Annie C. Briggs, Eunice C. Bryant, L. P. Bradford, Flora A. Bradford, L. M. Beals, H. C. Haskell, Zoe J. Haskell.
Lake Grange, No. 24, West Poland, was organized May 17, 1874, by C. H. Cobb, state deputy, with 21 charter members, and N. M. Faunce, M .; L. C. Herrick, Sec. It owns a hall at West Poland, and meets there every Saturday evening. The present membership is 110. S. O. Keen, M .; L. C. Herrick, Sec. Charter members: L. C. Herrick, N. M. Faunce, Reuben Dunn, Nathaniel Keene, Lewis J. Lunt, A. H. Dunn, W. W. Wilkins, Wm W. Lunt, F. B. Haskell, O. W. Thurston, J. H. Stanton, N. E. Tenney, N. E. Stowe, Jerry Emery, B. B. Campbell, D. H. Millett, J. W. Morse, John S. Dunn, Elias Doughty, J. B. Stanton, Mrs Lydia Herrick, Mrs L. E. Dunn, Mrs Jennie M. Emery, Mrs Ann M. Stowe, Mrs E. J. Tenney, Miss Mary E. Brooks, Mrs Sarah M. Dunn, Mrs Elvira Dunn, Mrs Olive M. Snell, Mrs Caroline Millett, Mrs Clementine Lunt, Mrs Abby F. Morse.
Wales Grange, No. 40, was organized October 10, 1874, by Nelson Ham, with 30 charter members, and T. W. Ham, M .; Frank A. Ham, Sec. It meets Saturday evening on or before the full moon. The present membership is 76. J. L. Stewart, M .; Alden Moulton, Sec. Charter members: David S. Sanborn, Thomas T. Jenkins, T. W. Ham, Charles Collins, Evander A. Ham, Albert F. Jenkins, A. M. Donnell, I. S. Jenkins, S. A. Jenkins, Stanwood Given, Alonzo Taylor, J. M. Given, Furber Libby, Alonzo Perkins, Robert Sawyer, Alden Moulton, H. S. Marr, R. C. Jones, Geo. I. Sanborn, Frank A. Ham, Annie E.
292
HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.
Ham, Rebecca Smith, Sarah T. Perkins, Flora A. Taylor, Betsey K. Jones, Fannie R. Given, Olive A. Ham, Ella N. Collins, Annie L. Donnell, Sarah Jenkins.
West Minot Grange, No. 42, was organized October 16, 1874, by C. H. Cobb, state deputy, with 30 charter members, and J. G. Hilborn, M .; G. W. Millett, Sec. It meets in a hall of its own at West Minot, Saturday evening on or before full moon. The present membership is 61. A. P. Allen, M .; Mrs George B. Perkins, Sec. Charter members: Adam Richardson, Joseph Crooker, Benjamin Dudley, F. M. Woodman, James M. Farris, Joseph R. Bearce, Samuel Stearns, C. S. Barrows, L. T. Millett, J. G. Hilborn, S. R. Howard, A. F. Decoster, Calvin Bucknam, Abraham Dean, George B. Perkins, Jasen Hilborn, Almon Bucknam, Wm A. Crooker, Joel Crooker, Elisha P. Churchill, Hiram M. Everett, U. G. Millett, Moses Young, Joseph L. Merrill, Ezekiel Merrill, Mrs E. O. Woodman, Mrs E. A. Farris, Mrs S. B. Millett, Mrs S. R. Howard, Miss Helen Crooker, Miss I. Bucknam, Mrs Martha J. Crooker, Mrs Emily M. Crooker, Mrs Cordelia B. Everett, Mrs E. A. Bearce.
Danville Junction Grange, No. 65, Auburn, was organized December 5, 1874, by C. H. Cobb, state deputy, with 30 members, and Jeremiah Stinchfield, M .; Moses Fitz, Sec. It meets at Danville Junction Thursday evenings. The present membership is 37. Luther Allen, M .; Wm A. Arris, Sec. Charter members: Frederick Goss, Dyer E. Goss, Orville Swett, Nelson H. Hood, Geo. W. Woodbury, Geo. W. Arris, Moses Fitz, Jr, Addie Swett, Christina Goss, Ada Bane, Hannah S. Fitz, Sarah C. Goss, Hattie Robinson, Almeda Flagg, Louisa Ware, Jeremiah Stinchfield, Leonard Hicks, James Hicks, P. M. Austin, Chas Thurston, Daniel Field, Wm Robinson, Jude Robinson, Elbridge G. Robinson, Chas Robinson, J. L. Flagg, Jas F. Ford, Benjamin Ware, Sarah Thurston, Hannah S. Field.
Leeds Grange, No. 99, was organized February 1, 1875, by S. J. Robbins, with 24 charter members, and Davis Francis, M .; A. J. Foss, Sec. It meets on the second and fourth Saturdays in each month. This grange within a few years has built and furnished a large and convenient hall in which it now holds its meetings. The present membership is 104. R. S. Loring, M .; Miss A. E. Deane, Sec. Charter members: R. S. Loring, A. J. Foss, A. J. Lane, B. C. Thomas, J. F. Jennings, G. B. Lane, Geo. Parcher, Mrs R. S. Loring, Mrs A. J. Foss, Mrs A. J. Lane, Mrs B. C. Thomas, Mrs J. F. Jennings, Davis Francis, G. Lane, A. Beals, Wmn B. Sumner, Mrs Geo. Parcher, P. Lane, C. S. Knapp, G. A. Jennings, Mrs Wm B. Sumner, Mrs Davis Francis, Mrs A. Beals, Mrs G. A. Jennings.
Lake View Grange, No. 249, Auburn, was organized March 31, 1883, by F. A. Allen, with 22 charter members, and A. A. Young, M .; P. L. Wyman, Sec. It meets in a hall owned by the grange, on the first and third Saturday evenings of each month. The present membership is 35. H. M. Baker, M .; C. V.
293
THE GRANGE.
Manley, Sec. Charter members: Eugene H. Libby, James R. Anderson, Clarence V. Manley, Wallace I. Gowell, Calvin S. Fassett, Ebenezer J. Hodgkins, Samuel J. Mills, Guy Mills, Pliny L. Wyman, I. Sanford Keith, Oland B. Upton, David S. Curtis, Albert A. Young, Joseph P. Sawyer, Rev. L. B. Green, Mrs Mary E. Anderson, Mrs Louisa M. Hodgkins, Mrs Eva F. Libby, May Mills, Mrs Eliza A. Crafts, Mrs Margaret Sawyer, Mrs Lavina Fassett, Mrs Emma M. Upton.
Minot Centre Grange, No. 266, was organized April 29, 1884, by F. A. Allen, with 30 charter members, and S. W. Shaw, M .; C. H. Downing, Sec. It meets in a hall owned by the grange on the second and fourth Wednesday evenings of each month. The present membership is 77. C. C. Washburn, M .; A. B. Downing, Sec. Charter members: Stillman W. Shaw, Samuel Shaw, Albert Quimby, Roger B. Durgin, Nathan P. Downing, John Andrews, Samuel Washburn, F. C. Coller, Zebulon Davis, Elisha Hall, Moses C. Hodge, Henry Jackson, Charles Ray, Noble Saunders, Edward M. Verrill, Clarence H. Downing, Walter G. Durgin, Edward Washburn, Lois A. Downing, Olive Shaw, Amanda Durgin, Josie Coller, Lizzie Andrews, Susan Washburn, Martha Quimby, Almira Davis, Hattie Jackson, Mary Shaw, Lizzie Washburn, Zillah Hodge.
Stevens's Mills Grange, No. 294, Auburn, was organized December 15, 1887, by F. A. Allen, with 32 charter members, and J. M. Woodman, M .; R. A. Stevens, Sec. It meets Thursday evenings, owns a good hall, finished and furnished, with dining-room and all necessary fixtures. The present membership is 64. Geo. L. Lyseth, M .; Elmer Clark, Sec. Charter members: Walter Stevens, Ulysses Greenlaw, Charles Lyseth, G. W. Stone, E. M. Stevens, N. M. Fay, Roscoe G. Pulsifer, Hattie L. Woodman, Emma R. Stevens, May A. Fay, Mattie J. Pulsifer, R. A. Stevens, G. W. Harradon, Albert W. Lyseth, G. L. Lyseth, D. H. Chase, C. S. Hicks, B. E. Chase, Lizzie M. Stevens, Emma R. Harradon, Fannie Lyseth, Susie V. Lyseth, Deborah Stevens, Caneriss Haskell, Lena F. Hicks, Etta F. Dascomb, James M. Woodman, W. G. Stevens, J. C. Whitney, S. S. Stevens, Lena G. Whitney, Fannie Stevens, Annie Greenlaw, Susie Stevens.
Androscoggin County Pomona Grange, No. 1, was organized in Auburn, September 28, 1875, by Nelson Ham, then Worthy Master of Maine State Grange. The name " Washington Pomona, No. 1," was adopted, but was changed by vote October 1, 1879, to " Androscoggin Pomona, No. 1." Charter members: Wm W. Lunt, C. H. Cobb, A. D. Garland, Hiram Waterhouse, D. G. Skinner, Wm Small, Jr, L. C. Herrick, A. J. Hinkley, N. B. Tracy, N. M. Faunce, O. H. Merrill, Eli Hodgkins, Nelson Haskell, John W. Weymouth, L. P. Bradford, Mrs F. A. Bradford, G. W. Blossom, Mrs Rosa S. Blossom, John M. Jackson, Mrs Hattie L. Jackson, D. Blethen, Mrs Wealthy J. Cobb, James F. Ford, George W. Haskell, Henry Turner,
294
HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.
Nelson Ham. John M. Jackson was elected Master, and N. B. Tracy, Sec- retary. The meetings are occasions of great interest. Subjects touching the welfare of the home, the family, the farm, and the community, are discussed in a manner which brings the questions of economy and progress home to every patron, and incites him to improvement.
WOMAN'S CHRISTIAN TEMPERANCE UNION (1890).1-Androscoggin county has not been backward in its recognition of the impress of the women of the century upon its history; that of its homespun mothers, whose reverence, patriotism, and sacrifices have, in the inevitable sequence of heredity, shaped the character of its sons and daughters. The industrial prosperity and intellectual culture which characterize the county are largely due to woman, represented as she is in its various industries, its literature, art, and educational departments. To its moral, religious, and philanthropic development has she consecrated her noblest powers. December 23, 1873, marks the greatest moral movement in the history of woman, when, for the protection of the home, the mother sentiment of the land banded itself, and under the inspired leadership of Mrs Eliza Thompson, one of Ohio's most cultured mothers, went forth from the old Presbyterian church, amidst the hills of Hillsboro, to battle the liquor traffic. In this wonderful uprising, or " whirlwind of the Lord," came that "arrest of thought" that imbued a peerless soul with the sacredness of the cause, and enlisted in its ranks one destined to be a leader among the women of the nations, Frances E .. Willard, the honored president of the grand organization called the Woman's Christian Temperance Union, an evolution of the Woman's Temperance Crusade. Chautauqua, "the birthplace of grand ideas," was the home of its nativity, and Cleveland, Ohio, the proud city of its completed organization, where in council, November 18, 1874, included in the resolutions adopted, were the following: -
Whereas, Much of the evil by which this country is cursed comes from the fact that the men in power, whose duty it is to make and administer the laws, are either themselves intemperate men or controlled largely by the liquor power; therefore,
Resolved, That the women of the United States in this convention represented, do hereby express their unqualified disapprobation of the custom so prevalent in political parties of placing intemperate men in office.
Resolved, That we will appeal to the House of Representatives by petition for their concurrence with the Senate bill providing a commission of inquiry into the effects and results of the liquor traffic in this country.
Resolved, That all good, temperance women, without regard to sect or nationality, are cordially invited to unite with us in one great battle against the wrong and for the right.
Resolved, That in the conflict of moral ideas we look to the pulpit and the press as our strongest earthly allies, and that we will by our influence as Christian women and by our prayers, strive to increase the interest in our canse already manifested by their powerful instrumentalities - gratefully recognized by us.
Resolved, That, recognizing the fact that our cause is and will be combated by mighty, determined, and relentless forces, we will, trusting in Him who is the Prince of Peace, meet argument with argument, misjudgment with patience, denunciation with kindness, and all our difficulties and dangers with prayer.
1 By Mrs Abbie Capen Peaslee.
295
WOMAN'S CHRISTIAN TEMPERANCE UNION.
The preamble of the constitution adopted reads :
We, the women of this nation, conscious of the increasing evils, and appalled at the tendencies and dangers of intemperance, believe it our duty, under the providence of God, to unite our efforts for its extinction.
Thus with a determined purpose and an invincible courage was the W. C. T. U. equipped for its divinely appointed mission with its broad scope for intellectual culture and Christian activity in its forty distinct departments of work for the moral and spiritual uplift of humanity, and, only " in the light of God can be apprehended the tremendous power for good this . White Ribbon Army' is to be to the world." The echo of the bells of Hillsboro with the thrill of electric enthusiasm reached Maine, August 18, 1875, and within sound of the murmuring waves and whispering pines of Old Orchard was founded the Maine State Auxiliary of the National Woman's Christian Temperance Union, with the wife of Rev. Dr Charles Allen as its first president, followed by Mrs M. G. Sargent, of Sedgwick, who served two years; Mrs L. M. N. Stevens of Portland, a woman noted for her sweetness, broad philanthropy, and executive ability, was treasurer for two years. At the third annual meeting she was elected president, and has for twelve years led the van of temperance women in our state, winning the love and esteem of all interested in temperance and moral reform by her generous gift of self, time, and means to the cause. Much is due this grand worker in the procuring of the concession of the legislature in raising the age of protection for our girls, the passage of the law requiring temperance instruction in the public schools, and the law against the sale of cigarettes and tobacco to boys. It is gratifying to know that in securing these desirable measures, she received the active co-operation of the Androscoggin Union.
December 1, 1879, at the invitation of the state president, a band of women organized to do temperance work in Lewiston became the first auxiliary of the county of Androscoggin to both the state and national W. C. T. Unions, with Miss Emma L. Porter as president. Through the untiring labor of this union, under the leadership of its present president, Mrs E. M. Blanchard, the crowning achievement of its many noble deeds culminated December 4, 1889, in the opening of a nursery and home for sick and needy children, in a small tenement on the corner of Lowell and Bates streets. After a few months the need of larger and permanent quarters became so apparent that the ladies went to work to secure funds to purchase a building for this purpose, the movement resulting in the purchase of the large house and lot, No. 81 Bartlett street, for which part payment was made. From the first the interest in the work has been constantly increasing, and many a helpless little one has here found a refuge under healthful and comfortable surroundings. During the year from twenty-five to thirty different children have been cared for, the largest number at any one time being nine. Three children have found homes
Need help finding more records? Try our genealogical records directory which has more than 1 million sources to help you more easily locate the available records.