USA > Maine > Androscoggin County > History of Androscoggin County, Maine > Part 44
Note: The text from this book was generated using artificial intelligence so there may be some errors. The full pages can be found on Archive.org (link on the Part 1 page).
Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5 | Part 6 | Part 7 | Part 8 | Part 9 | Part 10 | Part 11 | Part 12 | Part 13 | Part 14 | Part 15 | Part 16 | Part 17 | Part 18 | Part 19 | Part 20 | Part 21 | Part 22 | Part 23 | Part 24 | Part 25 | Part 26 | Part 27 | Part 28 | Part 29 | Part 30 | Part 31 | Part 32 | Part 33 | Part 34 | Part 35 | Part 36 | Part 37 | Part 38 | Part 39 | Part 40 | Part 41 | Part 42 | Part 43 | Part 44 | Part 45 | Part 46 | Part 47 | Part 48 | Part 49 | Part 50 | Part 51 | Part 52 | Part 53 | Part 54 | Part 55 | Part 56 | Part 57 | Part 58 | Part 59 | Part 60 | Part 61 | Part 62 | Part 63 | Part 64 | Part 65 | Part 66 | Part 67 | Part 68 | Part 69 | Part 70 | Part 71 | Part 72 | Part 73 | Part 74 | Part 75 | Part 76 | Part 77 | Part 78 | Part 79 | Part 80 | Part 81 | Part 82 | Part 83 | Part 84 | Part 85 | Part 86 | Part 87 | Part 88 | Part 89 | Part 90 | Part 91 | Part 92 | Part 93 | Part 94 | Part 95 | Part 96 | Part 97 | Part 98 | Part 99 | Part 100 | Part 101 | Part 102 | Part 103 | Part 104 | Part 105 | Part 106 | Part 107 | Part 108
367
CITY OF LEWISTON.
autumn of 1848, under contract, by Captain Daniel Holland, and cost about $1,000, which, with the exception of $140, was raised by the society. The chapel was occupied for the first time November 9, 1848, when an interesting sermon was delivered by Rev. Mr Beccher, of Portland. In the spring of 1849, owing to the extensive operations of the Water-Power Company, they were obliged to change the location of the chapel. During the summer it was moved several times.
The chapel was occupied until May, 1853, when it was exchanged with the Water-Power Company in part payment for the lot of land on which they subsequently built their brick church, corner of Main and Lisbon streets. From the chapel they moved to Union Hall in Auburn, where the church remained until December, 1853. In the spring of this year the society commenced the erection of the church at the head of Lisbon Street. This house cost about $10,000, and was dedicated December 9, 1853. Rev. L. B. Allen, of Yarmouth, preached the sermon and Rev. Arthur Drinkwater, of Greene, made the dedicatory prayer. The society occupied this house until May, 1870, the last meeting being held Tuesday evening, May 17. They removed from here to their new church edifice on Bates street, which was dedicated May 18, 1870. The sermon was by the pastor, Rev. E. M. Haynes, and the dedicatory prayer by Rev. N. M. Wood, D.D., of Illinois, a former pastor. The church was built in 1869-70, is of brick with granite trimmings and pressed brick beltings laid in black cement, and will seat about 800. It cost, including lot, $54,000. It is situated on Bates street at the southern extremity of the park, which it commands, being a very pleasing structure and a fine, though not gorgeous, specimen of English Gothic architecture. The "structural idea" is carried out in every part, embracing the interior as well as the exterior of the building, and including also the furniture as well as the organ. The entire wood-work of the interior is black walnut, highly polished, with ceilings frescoed and tinted in a manner which admirably relieves the dark effect of the wood.
Rev. George Knox, son of Ebenezer and Sarah L. (Dorset) Knox was born in Saco, October 24, 1816. He fitted for college at North Yarmouth Academy; was graduated from Waterville College in 1840; studied at Newton Theological Seminary in 1840-41; was ordained pastor of the Baptist church in Topsham in December, 1841, and remained until 1845, then was pastor in Cornish about two years. But his chief pastorate was with the First Baptist church in Lewiston, which he was instrumental in gathering, and which, under his wise and judicious care, became one of the most prosperous in the community. His labors here were abundant and frequently discouraging, but with tireless energy he prosecuted his work, winning in an especial degree the love and respect not only of his church and society but that of the whole community. Mr Knox was a Christian gentleman; kind, courteous, and
368
HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.
dignified in all his ways, his presence was a gentle but a positive rebuke to everything unmanly and ignoble. Mr Knox resigned this pastorate to take effect January 1, 1860, and afterwards became pastor of the Baptist church at Brunswick. When, in April, 1861, the President issued his call for 75,000 volunteers, Mr Knox offered his services to the governor, and was appointed chaplain of the First Regiment, and when its term of service expired he was commissioned chaplain of the Tenth, shared the hardships of his comrades and endeared himself to all. At the close of this service he became pastor of the Baptist church of Lawrence, Mass. When the Twenty-ninth Regiment was organized Mr Knox was again commissioned chaplain. He resigned his pastor- ate, and October 18, 1864, joined the regiment in Virginia, and October 31 met with an accident, and survived only a few hours. His sudden death was deeply lamented by the officers and members of the regiment and the people of this community, where he had been so long and favorably known. His remains were brought to Lewiston for interment.
Rev. Nathaniel Milton Wood, second pastor, son of Ephraim and Prudence (Myrick) Wood, was born in Camden, May 24, 1822. He was fitted for college in Camden, and was graduated from Waterville College in 1844, one of the best scholars of a very able class. He subsequently entered the Western Theolog- ical Institute, at Covington, Ky, where he remained till 1847, when he returned to Maine. In May, 1848, he was ordained pastor of the Baptist church in Bloom- field, now Skowhegan. Here he labored with marked success until January, 1852, when, at the earnest solicitation of the college faculty at Waterville, he commenced his pastorate at that place, which he resigned January, 1860. From January, 1860, to March, 1866, he was pastor of the First Baptist church in Lewiston, and from August, 1866, to May, 1868, at Thomaston. He then accepted the charge of the Baptist church at Upper Alton, III., which he held until March, 1872, when he was elected professor of Systematic Theology in Shurtleff College, a chair he had provisionally filled for two years, and for which he was especially qualified. In June, 1874, he came East and located at South Boston, hoping by this change to regain his health, a hope never realized. While here he preached in several places in Massachusetts, until April, 1876, when waning strength compelled him to relinquish further effort. He died in Camden, August 2, 1876. Mr Wood's labors met with marked success; he was a close and accurate thinker, a keen and logical writer; his style was terse and epigrammatic, and his preaching was effective.
Rev. George W. Holman, of Fort Edward, N. Y., was the third pastor, commencing his labors in July, 1866, and continuing until November, 1868. He was an earnest and successful preacher. Rev. E. M. Haynes succeeded Mr Holman; came from Palmer, Mass., and assumed the pastorate in April, 1869. His resignation took effect May 4, 1873. Rev. W. T. Chase became pastor in 1873, and closed his pastorate August 3, 1879, to accept that of the Baptist
369
CITY OF LEWISTON.
church in Cambridgeport, Mass. He was a very successful pastor, and was regarded with much affection by his people. Rev. George B. Ilsley, of Yar- mouth, was the next pastor, commencing work November 2, 1879. Rev. William C. Barrows, the seventh pastor, came from Rockland. His pastorate closed September 1, 1885. Rev. C. C. Tilley came from Dover, and assumed the pastorate in March, 1886. His resignation took effect in March, 1891. The present pastor, Rev. D. F. Wyman, began his services in June, 1891.
Episcopal Church .- The parish of Trinity church was organized in June, 1854, by the efforts of Rev. George P. Giddinge, of Illinois (a native of Danville), then on a visit to Auburn. He held his first service in Union Hall, Auburn, June 11, 1854, and July 15 the parish was legally constituted and these parish officers elected: Byron W. Watson, senior warden; S. W. Keeler, junior warden; George L. Drinkwater, Nathaniel 1. Jackson, and George H. Merrill, vestrymen. W. B. Watson was chosen treasurer and . collector. Mr Giddinge ministered to the church until November 5, 1854, when he returned to Illinois. July 11, 1856, Rev. Frederie Gardiner became rector, but resigned November 10, 1856. The public worship of the parish was removed to the Lewiston side of the river during Mr Gardiner's ministry, and was held for some time in Lisbon Small Hall. In August, 1857, Rev. John B. Southgate entered upon his duties as pastor, and resigned on account of ill health in June, 1858. He was followed by Rev. D. C. Ingraham. In 1859 the parish built their first house of worship, on the corner of Ash and Park streets. This was consecrated to the worship of God by Bishop Burgess, September 21, 1858. In April, 1860, Rev. Nicholas Ludlam was elected rector; he resigned in June, 1862. Rev. W. H. Collins was employed for some time, and in February, 1864, was elected rector. Mr Collins resigned in April, 1866. Rev. W. M. Willian became pastor in April, 1867, and resigned in September, 1868. Mr Willian had officiated for some time before he became rector of the church. Rev. E. Folsom Baker was elected rector in May, 1869, and resigned in 1870. Rev. Harry L. Yewens was the next pastor of the parish, and remained rector until November, 1875, when he resigned. Rev. Robert Wyllie commenced his labors as pastor soon after Mr Yewens's resignation, and having been ordained priest, entered upon his duties as rector, June, 1876, and resigned in May, 1877. Rev. W. H. Washburn became rector in May, 1877, and continued as rector until April, 1890, when he resigned. In 1869 the Franklin Company gave a bond for a lot, on the corner of Bates and Spruce streets, to Trinity parish, agreeing to give the lot on condition that the parish erected thereon a church edifice within 10 years. In September, 1877, work was commeneed on the church under the supervision of a com- mittee, consisting of Rev. W. H. Washburn, John Garner, John Straw, Samuel Booth, T. W. Kanada, and H. H. Diekey. The corner-stone was laid with appropriate ceremonies by Bishop Neely, June 21, 1879, and the church was
370
HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.
consecrated by him October 6, 1882. The sermon was delivered by Rev. Samuel Upjohn, pastor of St Mark's church, Augusta. The church is built of granite, the entrance to the audience room being from Bates street. The interior is finished in oak, and the whole building has the appearance of a substantial structure. The vestry is in the basement of the church, with the entrance from Spruce street. The building cost about $21,000. The parish also have a rectory on Horton street which was commenced in 1883. Rev. D. V. Gwilym, the present rector, came from Houlton, and assumed the pastorate of the parish in June, 1890. The church wardens for 1891 are John Garner and Edward Byron.
The Pine Street Congregational Church. - It was early in 1854 that the members of the Lewiston Falls Congregational church who resided in Lewiston began to agitate the question of the organization of a Congregational church in Lewiston. The importance as well as the necessity of a church on the " east side of the river" became more apparent and measures were instituted by the friends of the new society to perfect its organization. Accordingly a petition was directed to the church in Auburn, in which the petitioners express the opinion "that the time has arrived when we feel it our duty to ask a dismission from your church, that we may be formed into a church in Lewiston." The petition was signed by R. A. Budlong and 30 others and dated July 15, 1854. It was presented to the church at a "regular meeting," held July 18, and the petitioners were accordingly dismissed to form a new church on the "east side of the river." At this meeting the church voted to unite with the petitioners in calling an ecclesiastical council, to be held August 8, 1854, for the purpose of organizing a second Congregational church. The pastor, Rev. James Drummond, Deacon R. Bradford, Samuel Pickard, Esq., Jordan K. Piper, and Davis E. Verrill, two of the petitioners, were appointed a committee to make the necessary arrangements. The church was organized August 8, 1854, with 42 members, 34 of whom were members of the Lewiston Falls church, and eight by letter from churches in Maine and Massachusetts. Their names were: Rhodes A. Budlong, Jordan K. Piper, Davis E. Verrill, Simeon H. Murray, Charles C. Burgess, George R. Smith, William F. Fitch, William Hayes, William L. Fitch, Benjamin Murray, Josiah G. Coburn, Horatio G. Cilley, John W. Marston, Joseph R. Greenwood, Charles C. Niebuhr, Hannah Hayes, Lydia W. Prescott, Mrs John M. Frye, Sarah E. Frye, Mrs N. B. Nevens, Alura E. Lowell, Betsey Riggs, Sarah P. Verrill, Clarinda Murray, Mrs Charles C. Burgess, Charlotte Fitch, Ann M. Fitch, Mary II. Hayes, Harriet A. Hayes, Lucy S. Davis, Octavia D. Garcelon, Susan Marston, Sarah W. Greenwood, Mrs Charles C. Niebuhr, Mrs David M. Ayer, Eliza D. Lowell, Mrs L. Cushing, Miss E. Cushing, Maria Herriek, Mrs Edward P. Tobie, and Alice L. Field.
The services at the organization were: Reading the scriptures and prayer by Rev. Thomas W. Lord, of West Auburn; sermon by Rev. George E.
371
CITY OF LEWISTON.
Adams, D.D., of Brunswick ; reading Articles of Faith and Covenant by Rev. John W. Chickering, D.D., Portland ; prayer by Rev. Elijah Jones, of Minot ; right-hand of fellowship, Rev. James Drummond, Auburn ; charge to the church, Rev. Asa Cummings, D.D., of Portland ; prayer and benediction, Rev. Charles Pickard. From the organization of the church until the completion of the chapel (in 1855), at the corner of Pine and Bates streets, the society worshiped in Jones's Hall. It was a plain and neat building and was occupied by the church and society until April, 1866, when it was removed to the rear of the present church edifice on Bates street, and was subsequently converted into a tenement block. While the new church was being built the society held their meetings in Central Hall, with the exception of a short time when they united with the Main Street Free Baptists. Their present church edifice is built after the Romanesque style of architecture, and is one of the finest in the state. It was erected in 1866-7, and dedicated May 22, 1867. The dedi- catory services were : Prayer by Rev. Aaron C. Adams, of Auburn; reading the scriptures by Rev. John A. Lowell, pastor of the Main Street Free Baptist church; sermon by Rev. Uriah Balkam, the pastor; and the prayer by Rev. John O. Fiske, D.D., of Bath. The church is a substantial brick structure with granite beltings and trimmings, and the interior is finished in oiled black walnut and chestnut, with softly-tinted walls and frescoed ceilings, which pro- duce a very fine effect. The basement is fitted up as a lecture-room with parlors and a library-room. It is located on the corner of Pine, which it fronts, and Bates streets, at the northeast corner of the Park, which it commands, and from which it presents a substantial and imposing appearance. It cost $70,000 exclusive of the lot.
The church did not settle a pastor until January, 1856, but sustained public worship more or less regularly, the desk being supplied the most of the time by Rev. Isaac Weston, of Cumberland. Rev. Uriah Balkam, the first pastor, was born in Robbinston, March 27, 1812. He was graduated from Amherst College in 1837, and from the Bangor Theological Seminary in 1840. Soon after he supplied the Congregational church at Union, and was ordained its pastor June 15, 1841. Mr Balkam remained in Union until September 20, 1844, when he was dismissed. His next pastorate was at Wiscasset, where he was installed January 22, 1845; dismissed October 26, 1854. He then commenced his labors as "stated supply " at Lewiston, and was installed as pastor, January 30, 1856. The sermon on this occasion was by Rev. H. S. Carpenter, of Portland; prayer by Rev. Elijah Jones, of Minot; right-hand of fellowship by Rev. James Drummond of Auburn, and charge to the church by Rev. George E. Adams, D.D., of Brunswick. Mr Balkam continued here for more than 14 years. His pastorate covered the more important events in the history of the church, having commenced his ministry during its infancy, and closing after it had received mature strength. Dr Balkam was appointed
372
HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.
chaplain of the Sixteenth Maine, December 18, 1863. He performed his duties with care and fidelity. He resigned October 8, 1864. In August, 1873, he was elected to the chair of Logic and Christian Evidences in Cobb Divinity School, Bates College, and while on his way to the college he was thrown from his horse and instantly killed, March 4, 1874. In 1867 Bates College conferred upon him the honorary degree of S. T.D. Dr Balkam was a person of command- ing presence ; as a preacher, scholarly, thoughtful, and singularly zealous; as a pastor, faithful and instructive.
Rev. Francis F. Ford, the second pastor, was born in East Haddam, Conn., November 25, 1828. He was a graduate of Hamilton College in the class of 1851, was at Union Seminary in 1853-4, and Princeton in 1856; and ordained by the Presbytery of Genessec in 1857. Mr Ford had filled several pastorates before he came to Lewiston. He was installed pastor June 22, 1871, and dis- missed November 25, 1872. He died at Kansas City, Mo., January 26, 1886. Rev. George S. Dickerman, who had been pastor at West Haven, Conn., was installed pastor March 12, 1874, and resigned June 17, 1883. He was dismissed by a council convened July 20, 1883. Mr Dickerman accepted a call to the First church in Amherst, Mass., where he was installed pastor September 19, 1883. Rev. George Milton Howe,1 the present pastor, was born in Westminster, Mass., July 23, 1844. Ilis parents were Daniel M. and Harriot Woodbury Howe. His father died when 37, and Mrs Howe subsequently married Mr Z. M. Larned, of Oxford, where the family resided a few years and moved to Charlton. Mr Howe's early education was acquired by utilizing his time after his farm work was accomplished. In the fall of 1863 he entered Nichols Academy, Dudley, Mass., and was graduated in 1867. He then became a student at Amherst College, graduating in the class of 1871, and was a graduate of Andover Theological Seminary in July, 1874. July 8, 1874, Mr Howe was ordained and installed pastor of the Congregational church in Princeton, Mass. Ten years prior, May, 1864, he united with the Congregational church of Oxford. Rev. Mr Howe remained in Princeton over nine years, where he was an able and esteemed minister and pastor. He was scribe of the Worcester Central Conference for five years, several years one of the prudential com- mittee of the Worcester County Sabbath School Association, and for seven years one of the directors of the Worcester Musical Association. He resigned at Princeton to accept the call to Lewiston, where he was installed pastor, February 13, 1884, and during the seven years of his pastorate here the results of his work have been exceedingly satisfactory. The congregations have largely added to their number, and the financial prosperity of the church rests on a firm foundation, as at the close of each year it is free from debt; the benevolent offerings have increased tenfold; the church membership has been greatly augmented, additions on confession of faith being made every
1 By the Editor.
373
CITY OF LEWISTON.
communion Sunday for nearly five years. The energy and earnestness of Rev. Mr Howe, his forceful sermons on practical Christianity inspire one and all to help forward the good works of righteousness of which he is such a spirited leader and teacher. His wife, Mrs Sarah M. (Kendall) Howe, an estimable Christian lady, takes an active interest in progress and reform.
The Sabbath school of this church, established 34 years ago, is the second largest of the denomination in the state, and has progressed wonderfully in the past seven years, its membership having increased from 125 to 550. Mr F. B. Sands has been its efficient superintendent for the past ten years, also church clerk for twenty years.
Universalist Society. - In February, 1858, 15 persons, residents of Lew- iston, petitioned John Smith, Esq., to issue a warrant to one of their number directing him to notify a meeting of the subscribers for the purpose of organ- izing a religious society, to be known as the First Universalist Society of Lewiston. Judge Smith issued a warrant dated February 16, 1858, and the first legal meeting was held at the house of Mr O. H. Littlefield on Bates street, February 23, 1858. At this meeting, John Smith, Esq., was chosen clerk, and a committee consisting of Timothy Walker, John Smith, and George W. Farr were chosen to draft a constitution and by-laws. The by-laws were reported and accepted March 12. Subsequently, May 28, the society chose a committee, consisting of Samuel Haley, George W. Farr, and Timothy Walker, to " present the society to the Maine Convention of Universalists for admission into the fellowship of that body." The society voted July 6, 1858, to instruct the assessors to engage the services of Rev. C. H. Webster for nine months. Mr Webster had been for some time pastor of the lligh Street Universalist church in Auburn, but at this time was not engaged in pastoral labors. He immediately assumed the pastorate of the new society, which he retained for about two years. Soon after Mr Webster's resignation the society became extinct. The society first held their meetings in Jones's Hall, but subsequently worshiped in Lisbon Hall.
Bates Street Universalist Society. - This society was organized August 17, 1863, the meeting being held in the Municipal Court Room. Mr B. F. Furber was chosen moderator, and John Smith, clerk. On the 23d of August, a con- stitution and by-laws were adopted. At this meeting the clerk was instructed to correspond with Rev. Martin J. Steere for the purpose of securing his services as pastor. Mr Steere accepted the invitation to become pastor of the society and commenced his labors in April, 1864. The society held its serv- ices in Lisbon Hall, in what is now College Block, Lisbon street, until the completion of their house of worship. In December, 1863, the question of the erection of a house of worship was presented to the society, and measures instituted to secure the speedy erection of a commodious and convenient church edifice. A lot of sufficient size on the easterly side of Bates street,
374
HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.
between Ash and Pine, was procured in September, 1864, of the Franklin Company, and ground was broken in December of that year. Subsequently the lot was abandoned, and the lot on which their house of worship now stands was presented to the society by N. W. Farwell, Esq. The house was commenced in 1865 and finished in March, 1866. It is 55 x 75 feet, and the front is elaborately finished, the Tuscan order of architecture. The audience room is 55 x 61 feet, and contains 106 pews, with a seating capacity sufficient to accommodate 500 persons. The church was dedicated March 15, 1866. The sermon was preached by the pastor, Rev. Martin J. Steere, and prayer was made by Rev. George Bates, of Auburn. In the evening Mr Steere was formally installed pastor and an appropriate sermon was delivered, by Rev. Mr Bolles, of Portland. The church is a wooden structure, substantially constructed and finely finished and furnished, and was built at a cost of $22,000.
During the ministry of Mr Steere, July 2, 1865, a church was organized,. consisting of 15 members, viz .: John Smith, Ezekiel Martin, Daniel B. Jones, Roana D. Jones, I. W. Coburn, Abby Coburn, Moses H. Harris, Martin J. Steere, Harriet M. Steere, Hattie A. Steere, Henry Hamilton, Almira W. Hamilton, Jesse H. Field, and Mrs B. F. Furber. Mr Steere remained pastor of the church and society until October, 1869, when he closed his pastorate, greatly to the regret of his people, who had under his ministry enjoyed unusual prosperity. Mr Steere was succeeded in April, 1870, by Rev. J. H. Armies, of Ridgeway, N. H., who remained until May, 1871. He removed to Long Island. Rev. J. W. Ilines became pastor of the church in August, 1872. Rev. Almon Gage assumed the pastorate of the church in 1874. In 1876 Rev. C. P. Nash was called to the pastoral care of the society. Rev. W. G. Haskell became pastor in 1878. Rev. W. S. Perkins commenced his pastoral work in 1884. The present pastor, Rev. R. F. Johonnot, was called in 1889.
Rev. Martin J. Steere, the first pastor of the church, was born at Smith- field, R. I., October 15, 1814. He commenced preaching in 1834, and subsequently was a student at Parsonsfield Seminary. So strongly was he imbued with the missionary spirit that he offered himself as a missionary to Orissa, India, but ill health compelled him to relinquish the design. He was prepared for college at Fruit Hill, R. I., but was compelled to abandon study on account of sickness. He was ordained and became pastor of the Free Baptist church in Georgiaville in 1837, and resigned in 1839. Mr Stecre was pastor of the church at Apponaug for three years, at North Scituate three years, and at Greenville one year. He then became pastor of the Free Baptist church at Waterford, Mass. In 1851 Mr Steere refused the pastorate of a church in Boston, preferring to remain at Waterford. He delivered the oration at the laying of the corner-stone of the Maine State Seminary, now Bates College, June 26, 1856. A few years later Mr Steere announced a
375
CITY OF LEWISTON.
change in his religious views, and embraced the doctrines of the Universalists. He was a man of marked ability, a graceful and brilliant speaker, and was held in high esteem. His pastorate in Lewiston was very successful and he endeared himself to his people, and his resignation was accepted with many regrets. Mr Steere became pastor of the Universalist church at Poland, November 30, 1873, and resigned May 19, 1876. He died in Connecticut in January, 1877.
Need help finding more records? Try our genealogical records directory which has more than 1 million sources to help you more easily locate the available records.