USA > Maine > Androscoggin County > History of Androscoggin County, Maine > Part 47
Note: The text from this book was generated using artificial intelligence so there may be some errors. The full pages can be found on Archive.org (link on the Part 1 page).
Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5 | Part 6 | Part 7 | Part 8 | Part 9 | Part 10 | Part 11 | Part 12 | Part 13 | Part 14 | Part 15 | Part 16 | Part 17 | Part 18 | Part 19 | Part 20 | Part 21 | Part 22 | Part 23 | Part 24 | Part 25 | Part 26 | Part 27 | Part 28 | Part 29 | Part 30 | Part 31 | Part 32 | Part 33 | Part 34 | Part 35 | Part 36 | Part 37 | Part 38 | Part 39 | Part 40 | Part 41 | Part 42 | Part 43 | Part 44 | Part 45 | Part 46 | Part 47 | Part 48 | Part 49 | Part 50 | Part 51 | Part 52 | Part 53 | Part 54 | Part 55 | Part 56 | Part 57 | Part 58 | Part 59 | Part 60 | Part 61 | Part 62 | Part 63 | Part 64 | Part 65 | Part 66 | Part 67 | Part 68 | Part 69 | Part 70 | Part 71 | Part 72 | Part 73 | Part 74 | Part 75 | Part 76 | Part 77 | Part 78 | Part 79 | Part 80 | Part 81 | Part 82 | Part 83 | Part 84 | Part 85 | Part 86 | Part 87 | Part 88 | Part 89 | Part 90 | Part 91 | Part 92 | Part 93 | Part 94 | Part 95 | Part 96 | Part 97 | Part 98 | Part 99 | Part 100 | Part 101 | Part 102 | Part 103 | Part 104 | Part 105 | Part 106 | Part 107 | Part 108
Cowan Woolen Company. - Early in 1864, D. M. Ayer & Co. leased rooms in the grist-mill building, now the Cowan Mill, for manufacturing cotton and woolen goods. In the autumn the machinery was completed and manufact- uring commenced. Subsequently Mr Ayer sold to D. Cowan & Co., who continued the business. For a number of years the company was known as the Aurora Mills, but was finally changed to the Cowan Mill. The mill was started with 3 sets of machinery and 12 broad looms. Mr Cowan continued his connection until his death, and under his supervision the goods produced here were justly recognized as among the best in the market. The Cowan
392
HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.
Woolen Company was organized in 1888, purchased the property, and have made additions, and put in much new machinery. They now have 8 sets of machinery, run 40 broad looms, have 180 employés (60 females), manufacture 300,000 yards of fancy eassimeres, suitings, and overcoatings. The monthly pay-roll is $3,700. Frederick Olfene, agent.
Cumberland Mill. - This mill commenced manufacturing in 1868, and was owned by J. L. H. Cobb & Co. Subsequently it came into the possession of Mr P. M. Thurlow, one of the original proprietors. It is now owned by Messrs W. S. Libby and H. M. Dingley. It is 50 x 72 feet, and three stories in height. It commenced operations with three sets of machinery which has been increased to six sets. There are 50 employés, 25 females. The monthly pay-roll amounts to $2,000. They manufacture Cumberland repellents (blacks, browns, blues, and grays), the annual production being 300,000 yards. The annual consumption of wool is 325,000 pounds.
Union Water-Power Company .- This company was organized September 18, 1878. The organization was the result of the purchase by the city of the water-works rights. It has a capital stock of $400,000, owned by the Franklin, Bates, Androscoggin, Continental, Hill, and Bleachery corporations. This company purchased of the Franklin Company the canals and water privileges in Lewiston, and are the owners of all the lands, dams, and water privileges (purchased of Coe & Co.), controlling the head waters of the Androscoggin. It rents to the several corporations their water-power.
Lewiston Machine Company. - This was incorporated February 4, 1865, with a capital of $200,000, the corporators being Samuel W. Kilvert, Josiah G. Coburn, Nathaniel W. Farwell, David M. Ayer, and Rhodes A. Budlong. Soon after organization it purchased the machinery and tools of the old Hill machine shop, which was subsequently removed to the foundry building near the Maine Central depot. This was built about 1852, enlarged in 1865 and again in 1866. In 1868 the interior was remodeled, and it is now one of the best-appointed establishments in the state. The company employs 200 persons, and has a monthly pay-roll of $10,000. It manufactures iron and brass cast- ings, and cotton machinery.
Gay- Woodman Company. - This is the only shoe manufacturing company in the city, and is incorporated with a capital of $150,000. It occupies a wooden building, 125 x75 feet, and six stories high, on lower Main street, opposite Maine Central station, and commenced to manufacture here in July, 1883. It employs 400 males and 150 females, and manufactures 40,000 cases of men's boots and shoes annually. They run 150 stitching machines, six Mckay sewing machines, two standard sewing machines, one Goodyear welt, one Goodyear stitcher, and two Hautin sewing machines. Weekly pay-roll, $3,000. Charles Gay is president, and T. E. Eustis, treasurer. This firm had its commencement in 1875, when Charles Gay & J. O. Foss employed 75 hands
393
CITY OF LEWISTON.
and produced 200 cases of shoes weekly, at No. 2 Roak Block, Auburn. This firm became Gay, Foss & Co., in 1878, by W. H. Foss joining it. In 1879 200 hands were employed. In 1883 the firm became Foss, Packard & Co., by the advent of H. M. Packard and R. M. Mason ; Mr Gay retiring to form, with J. C. Woodman, Willard Linscott, and H. A. Packard, the firm of Gay, Wood- man & Co.
Jordan, Frost & Co., manufacture mouldings and all kinds of finishing material. They employ 25 inen. Their weekly pay-roll is $250. They handle about 7,000,000 feet of lumber yearly.
R. C. Pingree §. Co .- In connection with their large lumber mill before mentioned, this firm manufactures all kinds of moulding and house finish, doors, sash and blinds ; also stair rails, posts, and wooden mantels in their mill near lower Maine Central station, where they employ 38 men.
Lewiston Bobbin Shop .- This company manufactures about 2,000,000 bobbins annually, and employs about 25 men, with a monthly pay-roll of $600. The value of their annual production is $25,000.
H. H. Dickey §. Son (William Diekey) manufacture belts, rolls, etc., on the canal, near Main street, and employ 10 men. (See page 236.)
Lewiston Monumental Works, 12 Bates street, John P. Murphy, manager, employs over 100 men, and does an extensive business in manufacturing monuments, mural tablets, etc. J. J. McKenna employs six men in marble and granite working, at 182 Main street. J. J. O'Connell, in same business, employs six hands at 137 Main street.
Carman &. Thompson, 48 Main street, employ nearly 50 men in making and fitting steam-heating apparatus, engines, etc.
FURNITURE, ETC. - Bradford, Conant §. Co., 199-201 Lisbon street, manu- facturers and wholesale and retail dealers, continue the business established by Pinkham & Bradford in 1835. This firm later became Bradford & Conant, and in 1863 Bradford, Conant & Co. (J. C. Bradford, Granville Blake, Mrs L. W. Conant). The factory is at East Auburn. L. L. Blake &. Co., 155 Lisbon street, manufacturers and dealers in furniture, etc., began business in 1856, the firm then being A. K. P. & L. L. Blake. Since 1864 the latter has conducted trade alone. Daniel Allen & Co., 225 Lisbon street, manufacturers and dealers in furniture, have been in trade for 20 years, first as Carter, Allen & Maxwell, and since 1878 with present name.
CONTRACTORS AND BRICK MAKERS. - The skill of the contractors and builders of Lewiston has been often commented upon, and the elegant houses springing up under their hands in every part of the two cities bear witness to this and to their business capacity. Among those in stone work prominently stands the Bearce & Clifford Construction Co., 242 Main street, who at times employ 100 men, and in their trucking department from 20 to 30 men and 60 to 70 horses. Others in this line are: George W. Lane & Co., 90 Pierce
394
HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.
street; B. M. Dixon, 35 Sabatis street; S. D. Thomas, Sabatis street; W. A. Libby, 26 Pine street. Among those in wood-work are: Hodgkins, Foss & Co. (also sash, doors, and blinds), 7 Main street; J. E. Cloutier, 217 Blake street; G. E. Lown & Sons, 268 Main street; Wood & Crockett, 266 Main street. Several are extensively engaged in briek-making. J. H. Pettengill & Son have a yard on Upper Main street near Jepson brook. They are descendants of two pioneer families-Pettengill and Harris. Horace Libby and Levi S. Ware also have yards near Jepson brook. The Burnt Woods District has furnished many bricks, and the Franklin Company have extensive operations there.
OTHER INDUSTRIES. - Adams & Johnson employ 10 men in manufacturing doors, sash, etc .; D. B. Stevens has 10 men in the same business. Both are on the cross canal. Gibbs & Dain, in Grand Trunk yard, manufacture sash; employ 14 men; use over 250,000 feet of lumber annually and are increasing their business. E. M. Leavitt employs six men in making lasts; makes 15,000 pairs yearly. J. B. Ham §. Co. (established 1872), and O. S. Ham have grist- mills. The first firm, near Grand Trunk station, grinds 200,000 bushels of meal yearly, employing five hands. O. S. Ham grinds 150,000 bushels of meal yearly ; employs four hands. Edward Joyce employs 10 hands in making loom harnesses, on Lineoln street and eross eanal. P. P. Getchell manufactures furs to the amount of $10,000 yearly, employing eight hands. Bates Street Shirt Company employ a large number in making shirts, doing a business of $75,000 yearly. E. C. Andrews & Co., 72 Lisbon street, employ from 8 to 10 men in making felt hats, and do a fine business. Charles W. Covell employs 7 men in making harnesses. W. H. Hackett and Wade & Dunton make carriages; the latter employ 18 men at 29 to 35 Park street. There are numerous others, employing from 2 to 10 hands.
395
CITY OF LEWISTON.
CHAPTER XIX.
Railroads-County and State Agricultural Societies - Fire Department -Lewiston Gas Light Company - Manufacturers and Mechanics Library Association - Lewiston City Buildings-City Park - Soldiers' Monument - Lewiston Water Works - Lewiston & Auburn Horse Railroad -First National Bank - Manufacturers National Bank - Andros- coggin County Savings Bank - People's Savings Bank - Board of Trade - Central Maine General Hospital -French Hospital -Y. M. C. A .- Nealey Rifles -Frye Light Guards- Associations.
R AILROADS. - In 1849 railroad facilities came to Lewiston. On March 24 the Androscoggin & Kennebec Railroad was opened to Lewiston. The legislature, February 15, 1860, authorized the Androscoggin Rail- road Company to extend its railroad from Leeds to the Kennebec river, or to form a junction with the Portland & Kennebec at Topsham or Brunswick. The company decided to locate the road from Lewiston to Brunswick, and to extend the road from Leeds Junetion to Crowley's. It was opened for travel in October, 1861. In July, 1871, it was consolidated with the Maine Central. The company has completed this season an elegant station house at the Upper station. Charles C. Benson has been station agent for many years. The Lower ( Main street ) station is handsomely arranged. Henry H. Hanson, station agent.
The Lewiston & Auburn Railroad. - The high tariff and unjust discrimina- tion of the Maine Central Railroad against Lewiston and Auburn was sufficient, in the estimation of the citizens of these two cities, as well as the management of the several corporations, whose directors resided out of the place, to justify them in securing a charter for the construction of a competing line to connect with the Grand Trunk Railway. The legislature was petitioned in 1872 for a charter. The Maine Central vigorously opposed the measure, but February 10, 1872, the legislature granted a charter to N. W. Farwell, J. G. Coburn, George H. Pilsbury, C. I. Barker, E. S. Davis, J. W. Danielson, and 39 other citizens of Lewiston and Auburn, for a railroad "from some point in the city of Lewiston to some point on the Atlantic & St Lawrence Railroad, within the limits of the city of Auburn." After the charter was obtained, satisfactory terms were made by the manufacturing corporations with the Maine Central Railroad for transportation ; but this arrangement did not include any reduction in pas- senger or freight tariff for the citizens. The public mind was somewhat stirred by this movement on the part of the Maine Central. Having secured all they desired (the reduction in freights), the corporations exhibited strong opposition
396
HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.
to the construction of the new railroad. The people soon showed that they were determined that the railroad should be built, and, April 9, 1872, by an almost unanimous vote, they requested the mayor to subscribe for 2,245 shares of the stock at $100 per share. This action was opposed by a few in the interests of the corporations, who presented a petition at the January term of the Supreme Judicial Court in 1873, for an injunction to restrain the treasurer of Lewiston from paying the installments as they matured. Able counsel was employed by both sides, and, after a hearing of nearly three days, the court, Judge Kent presiding, dismissed the petition for want of jurisdiction. An appeal was taken, and the case went to the law court. In April another petition for an injunction was presented, which also went to the law court. These cases were kept in court several years and dismissed. After the railroad was completed it was leased to the Grand Trunk for 99 years. The stock held by the two cities would sell for more than its face value. The Lew- iston station is on Lincoln street ; Thomas N. Brown, general agent.
Androscoggin County Agricultural Society .- September 13, 1851, many of the farmers of this vicinity met at Lewiston to consider the formation of an agricultural society, embracing towns in this locality, and it was voted to petition the legislature for a charter. The legislature of 1852 granted a charter to Samuel Moody, Alonzo Garcelon, Ebenezer Ham, William R. Wright, John M. Frye, Archibald Wakefield, Samuel Pickard, Sewall Moody, James Lowell, John Lombard, Jesse Davis, Elisha Stetson, Elijah Barrell, and Asa Garcelon, for the purpose of organizing a society to be called the West Lincoln Agricultural and Horticultural Society, which was to embrace the towns in the county of Lincoln west of the Kennebec river, also Durham, Danville, Poland, Auburn, Minot, Greene, and Wales. The society organized in 1852, and elected Elijah Barrell, of Greene, president; William R. Wright, of Lewiston, recording secretary; Mark Lowell, treasurer; Ebenezer Ham, agent. The society held its first show and fair at Lewiston, October 18 and 19, 1852, when the Rev. D. T. Stevens, of Auburn, delivered an able and inter- esting address. The society then numbered 284 members, and the proceeds of the fair amounted to about $300. In 1854 the name was changed to the Androscoggin County Agricultural and Horticultural Society, and embraced in its territory all the towns of this county. In 1856 land was purchased on the west of the Maine Central Railroad, now crossed by Holland and other streets, where the society held annual shows and fairs for several years; but the grounds were finally abandoned, and the stock was exhibited elsewhere. For several years the society united with the state society, but recently have held their annual exhibits at Livermore Falls.
The Maine State Agricultural Society .- In the latter part of 1881, the Maine State Agricultural Society bought the track and land which had been occupied by the Androscoggin Driving Park Association, and fitted them up
397
CITY OF LEWISTON.
for the use of the society. These grounds are less than two miles from the city and adjoin the line of the Maine Central Railroad. While the society did not vote to locate permanently at Lewiston, it did decide to secure these grounds, and has since enlarged them by purchase. They now have grounds not only large enough for a half-mile track, but sufficient for their accommo- dations. The society has built several buildings for the accommodation of those who exhibit at the fair, among which is a large hall for the exhibition of dairy products, agricultural implements, and machinery. Access to the fair grounds from the city is secured by means of the steam and horse cars.
Fire Department .- Androscoggin, No. 1, Fire Company was organized October 26, 1849, with Luke Bemis, foreman ; Jacob B. Ham, first assistant foreman ; Benjamin Dunn, second assistant foreman ; and Zeba F. Bliss, elerk. The engine, the first owned by the Village Corporation, was built for the town by Hunneman & Co., of Boston, in 1849, and was in active service for more than 25 years. After a few years a second engine was purchased, and these two engines were the only ones belonging to the department until 1866, when the city ordered of J. B. Johnson, of Portland, one of his steam fire engines, which cost $4,500, but it was constantly out of repair and was finally condemned. In 1868 the city ordered of the Amoskeag Manufacturing Company a steam fire engine. Although rated a second class it has done excellent service and is now a very valuable machine. In 1878 the steamer L. C. Peck, No. 4, was built by the Amoskeag Company at a cost of $4,250. This engine is a first- class machine, is larger than the previous one and more effective. Connected with the department are three hose companies and one hook and ladder com- pany. The force of the department consists of a chief engineer, four assistant engineers, superintendent of fire-alarm, engineer of steamers, and 55 men. The fire-alarm telegraph was put in in 1880, and has 27 signal boxes connected with it and about 21 miles of telegraph wire. The legislature of 1891 passed a bill which places the fire department under the control of a commission consisting of five members. It was the design of the framer of the bill to place the department under the control of a non-partisan commission, hoping thereby to make it more effective and permanent.
Lewiston Gas Light Company. - This company was incorporated in 1853, John M. Frye, Samuel Pickard, William R. Frye, George L. Ward, Alonzo Garcelon, Edward T. Little, Daniel Holland, and Mark Lowell being the corporators. The company has a capital of $75,000, and commenced the manufacture of gas in 1854. These works are situated near the bank of the river, in the rear of the Androscoggin Mill. There are three brick buildings connected with the works. The gasometer is 60 feet in diameter, and 40 feet in depth, with a capacity of 120,000 feet. In 1886 the works were changed from coal to water-gas, the company operating under the Granger patents. They manufacture 17,000,000 cubic feet of gas annually.
398
HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.
Manufacturers and Mechanics Library Association. - This association was started by the munificence of the several corporations of Lewiston, over 30 years ago, and donations were made by them, books purchased, rooms fitted up, and a library opened in 1860. It was the intention to make it self- supporting. To secure this, two grades of membership were established, one, a life membership, costing $5, and an annual membership, costing $1. The founders purposed to continue annual subscriptions to purchase new books, hoping thus to secure, in a few years, a valuable library. But these expecta- tions were only partially realized. The income only paid a part of the expenses, and the growth was slow. The library was opened in College Block, and was removed to the City Hall on its completion, and a new era in the life of the library association then began. The city gave the rent, the subscrip- tions paid the expenses, and the donations of the corporations were applied to the purchase of books. Care was exercised in the selection of books, so that in a few years Lewiston possessed one of the most valuable libraries, of its size, in New England. When it was burned with the City Hall, it contained 11,000 volumes, some of them rare works on local history.
City Buildings. - In 1866 the city purchased a lot on the corner of Park and Pine streets, for the purpose of erecting at some time a city building. Rooms had been obtained for the accommodation of the city government first in the Journal Block, and subsequently in Central Block, where they remained until June 12, 1870, when Central Block was partially destroyed by fire, and the rooms occupied by the city government and Central Hall, the largest in the city, was destroyed. The city found other rooms in the Savings Bank Block, just completed. In the reconstruction of Central Block the proprietors decided not to rebuild the hall, and Lewiston had no place for public meetings. This want of a suitable hall, the inconvenience of the rooms occupied by the city government, and other considerations, caused the erection of a city building to be earnestly advocated. Land was purchased on Pine and Lisbon streets, extending the lot to Lisbon street. Discussions were long and earnest in the city government, in which the people participated. Finally it was determined to submit the subject to the citizens for settlement. A meeting was called February 18, 1871, at which the people, by a vote (768 to 85), decided in favor of a city building, and William H. Stevens, John M. Frye, Archibald Wakefield, Cyrus I. Barker, David Cowan, William S. Rogers, Horace B. Bartlett, and Isaac C. Downes were appointed to superintend the construction. The plans and specifications presented by Mr Meacham, of Boston, were accepted. The mason work was awarded to Mr J. P. Norton, of this city, and the carpenter work was done by the day under the direction of ex-Mayor William H. Stevens. The corner-stone was laid by the mayor, Alonzo Garcelon, July 4, 1871, who delivered a very interesting historical sketch of Lewiston. The building was completed in December, 1872, and
399
CITY OF LEWISTON.
dedicated with imposing ceremonies, December 5, Dr Alonzo Garcelon reading a very interesting sketch of the town and city.
It was built of brick with granite trimmings and decorations, and was generally of Gothic architecture, with an immense mansard roof, 32 feet high, which was broken into almost every variety of shape by gables and Gothic devices. The windows of the mansard were luthern, faced with turned columns with beautiful capitals that blended harmoniously with the surround- ing decorations. The building extended 165 feet on Park street, with a frontage of 180 feet on Pine street, covering the whole distance between Park and Lisbon streets, and 40 feet on Lisbon street. From the sidewalk the walls rose 106 feet to the cornice. The mansard roof crowned the whole, with the exception of about 50 feet which fronted on Lisbon street. The corner of Pine and Park streets possessed one of the chief architectural ornaments of the building. A tower projecting eight feet from the main wall on the Pine street side contained one of the main entrances and the great staircase which extended from the ground floor to the roof. This tower was surmounted by a turret belfry. The spire rose 206 feet from the sidewalk, ending in a finial, bearing an immense vane. The interior, in point of design and beauty, was on a scale commensurate with the exterior. It contained 80 rooms. The basement contained the police quarters, city prison, boiler-rooms, etc., and the first story the municipal court room, aldermen's and councilmen's rooms, library rooms, and rooms for the city officers; in the second story, whose plane was 31 feet above the sidewalk, was the city hall, anterooms, cloak rooms, etc. The hall was of beauty and magnificence, then unequaled by any in New England. It was 80 x 165 feet, surrounded by over 400 feet of corridors, with galleries on all sides. The ceiling was 37 feet in the clear, and was beautifully frescoed. The hall would seat 2,272 people. The size of the building, which cost over $200,000, is shown by these statistics: There were two acres of flooring and 80 rooms in it. 20,000 yards of plastering, 1,400,000 feet of lumber, 3,000,000 bricks, 60 tons of slate, and 150,000 pounds of iron, were used in its construction, and it was lighted by 741 gas jets. This magnificent structure, for nearly 20 years the pride of our people, was destroyed by fire on the evening of January 7, 1890, and nothing of value was left. Competent judges pronounced the standing walls dangerous, and they were removed. In 1890 work was commenced on the new city building. This is 160 x 90 feet in size, fronts Pine and Park streets, and is a graceful and elegant building ; its estimated cost is $130,000.
Park .- Early in 1861 the municipal authorities were informed that the Franklin Company purposed to donate the square in front of the De Witt House to Lewiston, on certain conditions, for a park. At the annual meeting of 1861 A. D. Lockwood, Esq., made this proposition for the Franklin Company : "The Franklin Company proposes to donate to the town the grounds laid out
400
HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.
or reserved for a park, containing about eight acres, on condition it shall always be kept open for a park and that the town shall expend in grading, fencing, and planting trees, etc., the sum of $5,000 upon it by July 1, 1863." The gift was accepted, and A. D. Lockwood, J. G. Coburn, D. M. Ayer, Marshall French, B. I. Leeds, J. M. Frye, and Daniel Holland were appointed to execute the wishes of the company. The grounds were immediately graded and fenced, walks laid out and ornamented with shade trees. It is now one of the most delightful places in the city, an ornament to the place, and a favorite resort of the people.
Soldiers' Monument. - Lewiston sent 1,153 soldiers to the Civil War (of whom 16 were drafted), paid $100,275 for bounties, and furnished aid to soldiers' families amounting to $31,970.26. The monument is located near the northeasterly corner of the park, and occupies a commanding position. It was designed and executed by the eminent sculptor, Franklin Simmons, a native of Webster. The monument has a square granite base, 10 feet in height, to which are secured four bronze tablets, with arch tops, and on which are the names of 112 officers and soldiers who were killed or mortally wounded in battle, died from disease contracted in camp, or wasted their lives in southern prisons by the slow process of starvation and neglect. The granite base is surmounted with a statue of a common soldier, cast in bronze and fully equipped, which is seven feet high and weighs 1,000 pounds. The statue was unveiled by the artist, assisted by Mayor Pilsbury, February 28, 1868, with appropriate military and civic ceremonies. Prayer was offered by Rev. Geo. W. Holman, and Hon. Wm P. Frye delivered an appropriate address.
Need help finding more records? Try our genealogical records directory which has more than 1 million sources to help you more easily locate the available records.